TIME TO SHUT WHITNEY DOWN?

Robin Brownlee
January 05 2012 11:11PM

The Edmonton Oilers will have to get along without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for the rest of January because of a shoulder injury. I can't imagine the news will get any better when Ryan Whitney meets with team medical staff in Dallas to discuss his difficult comeback from ankle surgery.

With all the trouble Whitney has had coming back from surgery to repair a torn tendon in his right ankle, the Oilers defenseman met with the specialist who performed his procedure in Charlotte this week to try to get some answers as to why he's still experiencing so much pain.

My understanding is one distinct possibility is that Whitney re-injured himself four games into his comeback when he took an awkward fall against the Vancouver Canucks at Rexall Place Oct. 25.

The fall resulted in a sprained right knee that put Whitney back on the shelf for 13 games. It might also have damaged his right ankle or foot – not necessarily the tendon that was repaired but perhaps a ligament or other soft tissue. Until the results of an MRI are interpreted by team medical staff, it's too early to say for certain.

MORE TIME NEEDED?

If that's indeed the case, it seems obvious to me the only option would seem to be to keep Whitney, who has missed Edmonton's last six games, out of action until the pain that's clearly impacted his game subsides and any further damage is allowed to heal completely..

With the Oilers hitting the halfway mark in the schedule when they wrap up their road trip against the Stars Saturday, Whitney has played in just 17 games so far this season. It's been more than obvious that he hasn't been skating or moving like he did prior to the injury.

Before this road trip began, it was determined Whitney had tendinitis in the ankle. Rest, these last six games, was the course of action decided upon. If that condition has been complicated by further damage to a ligament in the foot, it's a safe bet Whitney will be in for more of the same. Likely a lot more.

Bottom line, there's a distinct possibility the Oilers will not only be without their best forward for the rest of the month, but that Nugent-Hopkins will have company in Whitney. For how long exactly, we don't know yet.

Stay tuned.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 Romulus' Apotheosis
January 06 2012, 11:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I would only be curious about strength conditioning and whether playing would help in that regard. It certainly sounds like it's doing more harm than good... but I've definitely heard from carpal tunnel types that strengthening the muscle around the tendons helps... although I assume you can do that off the ice.

At any rate, it's good that they are sitting him out to reevaluate. But kinda scary that they didn't reach that conclusion earlier. What if he seriously harmed his return to form by playing in those games? I hope that is not the case.

Regardless, he's looked bad, not terrible, but bad. So he wasn't helping the team and clearly the team is beyond helping at this point (I know that is a bit of a pessimism pete statement but let's be honest the season is pooched)... so I'd say sit him unless his prognosis turns around in a major way and sit him for as long as it takes. There is a lot of time between now and training camp for him to heal... The Oilers should make sure he does.

Avatar
#52 Romulus' Apotheosis
January 06 2012, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Brownlee

any word on Barker? has he started to skate with the team again? I don't expect much out of his play... but more than some of these call-ups.

Is it too early to ask about Fedun? I have no idea the recovery time on that kind of fracture, but I'd be curious to know if he was walking, running, skating again yet.

Avatar
#53 Oilerbill
January 06 2012, 11:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Archaeologuy wrote:

When Lowe was at the Helm this team always seemed to have somebody on defense that could get the job done.

At this rate I'm willing to accept a return from Janne Niinimaa

We have enough shots blocked... don't know if I can stand seeing Spaz shoot them 15 feet wide again.

Avatar
#54 VK63
January 06 2012, 12:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Kinda sad for Whitney.. he actually seems to give a rats as*.. a novelty in itself.

The argument presented at one point was Whitney at less than 100% was a better option than what was currently available for that spot. HOWEVER.. that was in the bygone days of a month or so ago when there existed a faint glimmer of hope for this team in the "legit" part of the western conference standings.

NOW

Not so much.

So the question that begs to be asked is, if Whitney comes back, to what end? I get that his contractual obligation is, if you can play you should,( Smytty style). BUT. He has been absolutely awful in the "suck it up buttercup" attempt.

What remains to be resolved is the save face efforts of Oilers management. At what point do the excuses come out as to WHY the efforts and roster failed, and contiguous to that point... how much of those failings will be tied to the "Ryan Whitney our best defenseman" was hurt all year excuse. If thats the plan.... I say shelf him because him playing wounded undermines the "best defenseman" argument.

Although 27 for the world juniors had a nightmare of a game vs the Russians.... he looks by all accounts to be a healthy Ryan Whitney in the making. Its a start (again) to the rebuild that shows promise but is after all a very long way from anywhere legit.

Avatar
#55 magisterrex
January 06 2012, 12:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I wonder about Barker's injury. I wonder if it's an actual ankle injury or if the man is getting treatment for something else. The whole thing was handled with such secrecy and with no updates, that it leads to speculation. He wouldn't be the first NHL player to go down the wrong rabbit hole and need help to get out.

Avatar
#56 Crash
January 06 2012, 12:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OilerLand wrote:

Why can't all these injuries happen to teams that we hate like the Flames or Canucks?? seriously if none of our players were injured we'd probably be in the playoff conversation right now instead of the Nail v. Dumba conversation.

Welp, see you in 2013.

Well to be fair they do seem to be happening a bit to the Flames....they have been without their best d-man (Giordano) for a good stretch now as well as forwards Alex Tanguay & David Moss as well as a couple of other d-men.

Granted they don't seem to get hit with as many injuries to their big time players as the Oilers do but they have been hit.

Funny though that they would struggle so badly with just a few injuries...I mean they did add that ~ top notch depth d-man Scott Hannan ~ to their team and yet it doesn't seem to be vaulting them any closer to being a playoff team, nor any closer to being a good defensive hockey club.

Avatar
#57 vetinari
January 06 2012, 12:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Whitney and the team need to put his recovery first, and frankly, the team is not going to be playing any meaningful games (aside from developing the newbies) until this October. Get well and speedy recovery Ryan!

Avatar
#58 book¡e
January 06 2012, 12:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

@Brownlee

any word on Barker? has he started to skate with the team again? I don't expect much out of his play... but more than some of these call-ups.

Is it too early to ask about Fedun? I have no idea the recovery time on that kind of fracture, but I'd be curious to know if he was walking, running, skating again yet.

My understanding is that Fedun was a hopeful for next years training camp.

Avatar
#59 RexLibris
January 06 2012, 12:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Robin Brownlee wrote:

NO CIGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what's missing! Robin, a nice stogie in your mouth in that photo would push it right over the top. Kind of like seeing Sather with his trademark cigar while sitting in the stands. It made the man. (I wonder if Sather has lobbied Bettman to make the draft, or at least the Rangers' table, a smoking zone?)

Anyway, aside from getting a little rust off, I don't see any advantage to pushing Whitney to play for the rest of this season. I understand he wants to, of course. But if a doctors says rest it, and the team has one foot in the outhouse already, what is there to gain aside from a marginal improvement (and the associated drop in draft rankings) and risk of further injury? Whitney may become our version of Sami Salo, and oft-injured, but game-changing defenceman who brings so much to the table that you just sit out the injuries patiently. But he does exemplify the kind of attitude that I believe this team is trying to enact.

As for the draft, I don't see us getting 1st overall again. Columbus and Anaheim already have a pretty good head start in the sNail Race. But I'll be curious to hear the scout's musings on Grigorenko, Dumba, Reinhart, Murray, O'Rielly, Forsberg, and even Galchenyuk. If the Oilers were to acquire another 1st round pick via trade then walking away from day one with two of any of those mentioned would be a pretty darn good day of hunting.

Avatar
#60 Romulus' Apotheosis
January 06 2012, 12:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
book¡e wrote:

My understanding is that Fedun was a hopeful for next years training camp.

The kid looked dynamite in this year's TC and I think would have had a shot at a couple of good cups of coffee this year.

The lingering question for me is... a lot of people speculated that he might have a career-ender of an injury and even if he returns it could take a long time... I'm just wondering... several months in... if we have any progress reports on him... has he recovered enough to start physio? is he walking on his own power? Does his progress project him to be ready for the TC in earnest next year?

Any info. would be appreciated. It would be great if we could solve some of our problems at D within the system. I don't know if Musil, Klefbom, Gernat and Marincin will turn out and Petry is still a ? for me... but Fedun looked legit in TC last year.

Avatar
#61 ubermiguel
January 06 2012, 12:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oil Rigz wrote:

I know I may be way out to lunch with this thought but I am going to throw it out there anyways.

The Oilers seem to get a lot of fluke injuries on harmless looking plays. RNH's shoulder, Whitney toepicking and spraining a knee and so on. Has anyone ever thought maybe the off ice training they are doing is making the team susceptible to these "fluke" injuries.

Like I said maybe I'm going down the wrong path, but the Oilers have had alot of injuries the last couple seasons and there has to be more to it than bad luck

I used to think that too, but the training staff got replaced recently in The Great Purge and the injury situtation hasn't improved. The Oilers usually have way more than average man-games lost to injuries.

Could Big Sexy have been onto something? Is there an environment in the Oilers that encourages playing hurt, that just makes things worse in the long run?

Avatar
#62 Copperblueandwhite
January 06 2012, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

Are you seriously throwing a bitch fit over not being able to "fist"?

Just for clarification.

You got it Travis....McSteeley should move to Calgary...not only will he be "FIST", he'll be "ONLY"..which rhymes with "LONELY"...

...on a more serious note, just let Whitney recover as well as Hemmer and Nuge...

...Brownlee, I love your column so forget the morons...but it's your column so do what you think best...

....My Avatar?? Yep, that's big Yakushev after Henderson's 72' winner...sweet huh?

Avatar
#63 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 02:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

Well to be fair they do seem to be happening a bit to the Flames....they have been without their best d-man (Giordano) for a good stretch now as well as forwards Alex Tanguay & David Moss as well as a couple of other d-men.

Granted they don't seem to get hit with as many injuries to their big time players as the Oilers do but they have been hit.

Funny though that they would struggle so badly with just a few injuries...I mean they did add that ~ top notch depth d-man Scott Hannan ~ to their team and yet it doesn't seem to be vaulting them any closer to being a playoff team, nor any closer to being a good defensive hockey club.

Yup, I'm sure the Flames regret bringing in some cheap depth now that they have injuries.

Avatar
#64 jr_christ
January 06 2012, 02:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Who is Ryan Whitney? I seem to vaguely remember heading his name about 13 months ago... and then nothing ever again.

Hmmm... weird

Avatar
#65 Oilerbill
January 06 2012, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Yup, I'm sure the Flames regret bringing in some cheap depth now that they have injuries.

Especially after that defensive clinic they put on last night.

Hannan was only a -1.... not too bad.... oh wait he played 8:15 the lowest minutes of any player on either team.

Avatar
#66 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 02:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oilerbill wrote:

Especially after that defensive clinic they put on last night.

Hannan was only a -1.... not too bad.... oh wait he played 8:15 the lowest minutes of any player on either team.

I'd be more interested in the fact that he's averaged 20+ minutes over 42 games then playing 8 minutes in one of them.

Avatar
#67 Crash
January 06 2012, 02:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Yup, I'm sure the Flames regret bringing in some cheap depth now that they have injuries.

Yup and now he's one of the guys who is injured

And once again, he is useles depth that doesn't make the Flames anymore of a playoff contender just as he wouldn't have made the Oilers anymore of a playoff contender.

Avatar
#69 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 02:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

Yup and now he's one of the guys who is injured

And once again, he is useles depth that doesn't make the Flames anymore of a playoff contender just as he wouldn't have made the Oilers anymore of a playoff contender.

Do you think the team only needs to add stars and/or superstars?

We don't have room for solid NHL'ers?

By your logic (that adding a guy of Hannan caliber is pointless) we might as well gut all the current players that are roughly as good as Hannan as well.

Bye bye guys like Smid/Gilbert/Jones/Belanger ect... I'm not sure who we are going to replace you with, but theirs no point having you if you aren't individually going to turn us into contenders.

Avatar
#70 Oilerbill
January 06 2012, 03:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'd be more interested in the fact that he's averaged 20+ minutes over 42 games then playing 8 minutes in one of them.

I am more interested in the fact that you brought up the Calgary Flames. Are you saying that Calgary has done a better job of managing their team this past off season than the Oilers?

Avatar
#72 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 03:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oilerbill wrote:

I am more interested in the fact that you brought up the Calgary Flames. Are you saying that Calgary has done a better job of managing their team this past off season than the Oilers?

I'm saying Hannan is a good NHL player.

Avatar
#73 Quicksilver ballet
January 06 2012, 03:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Any news on a Gagne trade yet?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I hate to say it, because you know... bros before hoes, and RB is the equivalent of one sweet, sweet hoe, but Soft Hands may have jumped the gun a little. 

RB's "NO CIGAR!" is a gateway comment into possibly some serious FISTing in good time. So props to you, RB (14th one is mine), for dangling that in front of the Movement. But now that the invitation has been sent, the Movement, much like Borat's brother Bilo, *will* "break cage and GET DIS"!

***Of course I'm referring to RB's articles as the "number 3 prostitute in all of Kazakstan". And that ain't too shabby at all!***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIe1hn56m9w&sns=em

Avatar
#75 KidsInTheHall!
January 06 2012, 04:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The problem is the teams 5 on 5 play. Special teams are lighting it up, and the goal tending was great when we weren't letting teams get in deep on us like they are now.

We need our veterans to come back to the form they were in at the beginning of the season. We didn't have Whitney then either. Remember Ryan Smyth's start, Horcoff's? Gagne and Hemsky didn't start well I'll give you that, but they couldn't possibly do any worse than they did at the beginning of the season.

Please please for the love of i-eesh-ah, do NOT start calling for another first place pick at this point (not pointing at anyone in particular, just picking up that vibe). It's Friday, and I don't want to cry myself to sleep on the weekends anymore.

Avatar
#77 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 06 2012, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oilerbill wrote:

The comment in question was "about what's been written".

"Try to get under my skin again -- six minutes or six months from now, doesn't matter -- and you're gone for good. Don't like it? Too bad. You've been warned."

Really? That's not a threat?

I hope Whitney is given enough time to heal properly. There is zero benefit in my eyes to having him play with a nagging injury such as tendinitis. If he finishes the season the added damage to those tendons may not heal in the off season. I don't want to see this carry on another season. We need him healthy.

edit: not going to take a shot at a guy who cant respond due to his inability to let it go....

Avatar
#78 michael
January 06 2012, 04:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Opportunity knocks for Gagne and Tuebert. Listening to stauffer at the intermission last night talk about how the Oil needed to be aware of the penalty situation and then bang 12 seconds in there 3-2. Then another penalty 3-3. Is it me or was that just plain stupidity on the players.

Whitney. Done. Maybe for good. If thats me. Im done. I would rather sacrifice the rest of my hockey career than be sitting in a wheelchair the rest of life knowing that I could have done something to prevent it. Not saying he is going to be in a wheelchair. But man the idea that I would have to function with limited mobility would be real frustrating. He needs to look after number 1. Longterm. Life. You only get one ride.

Avatar
#79 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 06 2012, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
oilerbill wrote:

I fully expect the detractors to cheer my ban.

It makes you look bush league rb. If you can't stand behind your words don't write them.

delete away brownlee . . . edit: No, let's leave it. Thank goodness it's 2012 because I'd reached my ban quota for 2011 and would have had to get special permission from Oilersnation headquarters (whatever cathouse Wanye is in over in Thailand) to run more readers.

Avatar
#80 Crash
January 06 2012, 04:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Do you think the team only needs to add stars and/or superstars?

We don't have room for solid NHL'ers?

By your logic (that adding a guy of Hannan caliber is pointless) we might as well gut all the current players that are roughly as good as Hannan as well.

Bye bye guys like Smid/Gilbert/Jones/Belanger ect... I'm not sure who we are going to replace you with, but theirs no point having you if you aren't individually going to turn us into contenders.

I had a long post typed out but changed my mind...it's pointless.

Although I will say that solid nhlers would be good but only if they will make some sort of difference positively.

Hannan would make zero difference to this team now or going forward.

Avatar
#81 Quicksilver ballet
January 06 2012, 05:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Of course the Bronte 5000 is right, it's always right. It is a virtual truth machine.

Never doubt the B 5000.

Not that it matters but the Oilers record the game after a Bronte banning is 5 wins and no losses. Put another win in the books for tommorows game in Dallas.

Thanks OilerBill

Avatar
#82 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

I had a long post typed out but changed my mind...it's pointless.

Although I will say that solid nhlers would be good but only if they will make some sort of difference positively.

Hannan would make zero difference to this team now or going forward.

Yes of course, you have absolutly no way to prove your point... hell you don't even have a way to back it up, but lets just assume a guy that's played 2nd pairing (or better) minutes for the better part of a decade would be of no help to one of the worst defenses in the league.

Avatar
#83 The Beaker
January 06 2012, 05:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Yes of course, you have absolutly no way to prove your point... hell you don't even have a way to back it up, but lets just assume a guy that's played 2nd pairing (or better) minutes for the better part of a decade would be of no help to one of the worst defenses in the league.

One of?

Avatar
#84 Crash
January 06 2012, 05:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Yes of course, you have absolutly no way to prove your point... hell you don't even have a way to back it up, but lets just assume a guy that's played 2nd pairing (or better) minutes for the better part of a decade would be of no help to one of the worst defenses in the league.

Are you serious?...how much more back up do you need?...I've been giving you tons of backup, tons of it right from last summer to now and yet you ignore it all and you just keep bringing up the last 10 yrs....

We're not talking about how good he has been, we're talking about how good he is now.

You have nothing to support your point of him being a solid nhler at this point..it's been pointed out to you ad nauseam that Hannan's minutes have dropped consecutively for 4 straight seasons but you ignore it...you've been informed that he was 9th in minutes in Colorado not very long ago, it's been pointed out to you that Washington chose not to bring him back and instead decided to go with Hamrlik, it's been pointed out to you that Hannan's numbers are less than stellar in Calgary, it's been pointed out to you that there were no takers for Hannan all summer even though he was ready to sign cheap until finally Calgary came calling in desperation, it's been pointed out to you that said team that did sign him is now one of the worst defenses in the league and that's with Hannan in their lineup and one of the best goaltenders in the world...

And all this despite you insisting he would be a solid addition and that he would make the team so much better....you refuse to answer why he hasn't made Calgary better and you refuse to address his decline...The only thing you state is how he is now 4th in minutes played for Calgary and that somehow makes him a solid nhler...I will agree he once was a solid nhler....but he isn't anymore.

How much more back up do you need?

Avatar
#85 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 05:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
The Beaker wrote:

One of?

Ha-ha, good point.

Avatar
#86 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 05:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

Are you serious?...how much more back up do you need?...I've been giving you tons of backup, tons of it right from last summer to now and yet you ignore it all and you just keep bringing up the last 10 yrs....

We're not talking about how good he has been, we're talking about how good he is now.

You have nothing to support your point of him being a solid nhler at this point..it's been pointed out to you ad nauseam that Hannan's minutes have dropped consecutively for 4 straight seasons but you ignore it...you've been informed that he was 9th in minutes in Colorado not very long ago, it's been pointed out to you that Washington chose not to bring him back and instead decided to go with Hamrlik, it's been pointed out to you that Hannan's numbers are less than stellar in Calgary, it's been pointed out to you that there were no takers for Hannan all summer even though he was ready to sign cheap until finally Calgary came calling in desperation, it's been pointed out to you that said team that did sign him is now one of the worst defenses in the league and that's with Hannan in their lineup and one of the best goaltenders in the world...

And all this despite you insisting he would be a solid addition and that he would make the team so much better....you refuse to answer why he hasn't made Calgary better and you refuse to address his decline...The only thing you state is how he is now 4th in minutes played for Calgary and that somehow makes him a solid nhler...I will agree he once was a solid nhler....but he isn't anymore.

How much more back up do you need?

Nope, that doesn't prove anything. It's impossible to say if the teams record would be better with him or not. The rest of your post is just filler. He continues to play top 4 minutes in the NHL, and that's all that matters. Bad players don't play 20 minutes per night. Add that to the fact that our defense is horrendous... Well...

Avatar
#87 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
January 06 2012, 05:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I was kind of looking forward to dicing with Soft Hands and his crew, but I'm a cranky old bugger and when somebody skips right past an opportunity to have some fun and takes a poke at me, I get stubborn and ugly in a hurry.

I was even going to phone our website tech guys to see what it would take to replicate the first comment box at the bottom of every story I write so that it automatically appeared filled out when I file my items. That would have produced a shutout of like 100-0 after six months and Soft Hands and his crew would have been absolutely spastic by that time.

Stalin my eye. Maybe next time.

Stubborn and ugly is the only way we want it to be Reuben. This place just wouldn't be the same if we couldn't get that Bronte 5000 to short circuit once and a while.

I enjoy your articles Robin.

Looking back, I'm off by a couple weeks as this should have been brought up during The Airing of Grevances.

But I feel like this has taken up far too many of the 80 Comments here.

I think Whitney's body has over worked the "working" parts compensating for the injured or weak parts. He needs more time to get work through this and get back to true #1 form. And if that means sitting most or the rest of this season then so be it. Third times the charm right?

Avatar
#88 Crash
January 06 2012, 05:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Nope, that doesn't prove anything. It's impossible to say if the teams record would be better with him or not. The rest of your post is just filler. He continues to play top 4 minutes in the NHL, and that's all that matters. Bad players don't play 20 minutes per night. Add that to the fact that our defense is horrendous... Well...

And you just saying he's a solid nhler doesn't prove anything...I've provided much more proof to back up my point than your lame minutes arguement.

Oh, BTW, Jeff Petry leads all Oilers d-men in ice time the last few games....I guess that makes him a top 2 d-man in the league...Potter plays over 20 min per game too, so what's your beef with the Oilers blueline? That they play over 20 min per game makes them good players, right? In fact five (5) of the Oiler blueliners avg over 20 mins a night. That makes them all good players, doesn't it?

Using your logic, as you like to say

How can the Oilers blueline be horrendous given this and how is it that Hannan and Calgary's blueline isn't horrendous and that's with Kiprusoff?

Avatar
#90 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 05:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

And you just saying he's a solid nhler doesn't prove anything...I've provided much more proof to back up my point than your lame minutes arguement.

Oh, BTW, Jeff Petry leads all Oilers d-men in ice time the last few games....I guess that makes him a top 2 d-man in the league...Potter plays over 20 min per game too, so what's your beef with the Oilers blueline? That they play over 20 min per game makes them good players, right? In fact five (5) of the Oiler blueliners avg over 20 mins a night. That makes them all good players, doesn't it?

Using your logic, as you like to say

How can the Oilers blueline be horrendous given this and how is it that Hannan and Calgary's blueline isn't horrendous and that's with Kiprusoff?

2 games at over 20 minutes? Yup I'm sold

Come talk to me when Petry or Potter have played 600 games over 20 minutes.

Avatar
#91 Copperblueandwhite
January 06 2012, 05:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Robin Brownlee wrote:

That is sweet.

Are you old enough to have seen Yakushev play live? That's a guy who could have been an NHL all-star for 15 years if the young Soviets could have come over as they pleased back then.

Well Robin, I used to sell programs for the Edmonton Flyers at the Edmonton Gardens and wrestling at the Sales Pavillion..but I'm not as old as dirt...although the Flyers folded in 62' or 63'...so yes I did see Big Yak play. He's my favourite Russian all time.

I see the NHLPA has rejected the alignment proposal...interesting development.

Avatar
#92 Crash
January 06 2012, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

2 games at over 20 minutes? Yup I'm sold

Come talk to me when Petry or Potter have played 600 games over 20 minutes.

You're a piece of work

Why do you ignore the questions about Hannan and the Horrendous defense in Calgary? Just wondering.

Actually, nevermind...not really interested in anymore of your it's so because you say it is

Avatar
#93 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 06:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

You're a piece of work

Why do you ignore the questions about Hannan and the Horrendous defense in Calgary? Just wondering.

Actually, nevermind...not really interested in anymore of your it's so because you say it is

I ignore it because it's such a weak argument.

Basing individual players evaluation on team results is ... well weak.

You're argument is the equivalent of saying Ryan Getzlaf is a bad hockey player because the Ducks are the lowest scoring team in the league or saying Brent Seabrook is a poor dman because the Hawks have given up the 5th most goals.

See the problem?

Avatar
#94 Crash
January 06 2012, 06:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I ignore it because it's such a weak argument.

Basing individual players evaluation on team results is ... well weak.

You're argument is the equivalent of saying Ryan Getzlaf is a bad hockey player because the Ducks are the lowest scoring team in the league or saying Brent Seabrook is a poor dman because the Hawks have given up the 5th most goals.

See the problem?

You've been provided with endless data and have been quoted as saying that Hannan would make this team better and could possibly turn them into a playoff team yet he isn't able to help Calgary in that regard and according to you they are so superior.

He has pathetic numbers in Calgary and you can't even fathom that maybe he's a part of the problem with Calgary being such a bad defensive team.

Either he would make the team better or he won't....evidence suggests he won't...but you ignore it.

See the problem?

I would also hazard a guess and it's just a guess that if Getzlaf or Seabrook were UFA's this summer...they wouldn't sign cheap and they wouldn't have to wait until late summer to get signed. But you'll ignore that fact as well I'm sure.

Avatar
#95 Whatever
January 06 2012, 06:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Thats right. You can't base an individual evaluation on a team game. You also can't ignore it. Hannan showed very well in San Jose playing a defense first game on a very solid team. Playing in Colorado on a much weaker team that was more offence first he did not show as well. Decent players can look very good on great teams just as weaker players can look above average on bad teams.

I am not saying that Hannan is not a solid NHL'r but he needs to be put in the right position. As for him helping the Oilers..... Well 70% of the NHL defenseman playing 3rd pairings on any other team would be probably be pairing 1st and easily 2nd on this team. Especially with all the injurys.

Avatar
#97 Quicksilver ballet
January 06 2012, 07:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Give him the rest of January off and try pushing it again in Feb. If it's still tender, try again in the fall. We're in Hockey that doesn't matter mode anyways.

Yakupov/Grigorenko and Murray or bust.

Avatar
#98 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 08:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Crash wrote:

You've been provided with endless data and have been quoted as saying that Hannan would make this team better and could possibly turn them into a playoff team yet he isn't able to help Calgary in that regard and according to you they are so superior.

He has pathetic numbers in Calgary and you can't even fathom that maybe he's a part of the problem with Calgary being such a bad defensive team.

Either he would make the team better or he won't....evidence suggests he won't...but you ignore it.

See the problem?

I would also hazard a guess and it's just a guess that if Getzlaf or Seabrook were UFA's this summer...they wouldn't sign cheap and they wouldn't have to wait until late summer to get signed. But you'll ignore that fact as well I'm sure.

Ya I didn't say they'd turn them into a playoff team, I said he'd be an upgrade on our defense.

He's not an offensive dman, he doesn't put up big numbers, never has.... doesn't mean he isn't a good player, I also wouldn't call a -8 on a team with 22 minus players, with the team that has the 5th worst gf/ga ratio in the league... you are grasping at straws when you say he has horrible stats.

Avatar
#99 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 06 2012, 08:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Whatever wrote:

Thats right. You can't base an individual evaluation on a team game. You also can't ignore it. Hannan showed very well in San Jose playing a defense first game on a very solid team. Playing in Colorado on a much weaker team that was more offence first he did not show as well. Decent players can look very good on great teams just as weaker players can look above average on bad teams.

I am not saying that Hannan is not a solid NHL'r but he needs to be put in the right position. As for him helping the Oilers..... Well 70% of the NHL defenseman playing 3rd pairings on any other team would be probably be pairing 1st and easily 2nd on this team. Especially with all the injurys.

Hey, I agree with you 100%... that's what I'm trying to get accross.

- Solid NHL'er

- Would be an upgrade over a big chunk of our defense

- Would have been nice depth considering how often our players get hurt

- Could have been aquired for dirt cheap

Looks like resonable thoughts to me.

Avatar
#100 Eddie Shore
January 06 2012, 08:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm all for adding defensive depth but I'm not sure Hannan is better at this point in his career.

Comments are closed for this article.