EAGER FACES ASSAULT CHARGES

Robin Brownlee
October 20 2012 08:36PM

Edmonton Oilers forward Ben Eager, who some critics might suggest barely laid a hand on anybody during the 2011-12 season out on the ice, is facing assault charges in the wake of an altercation in a bar early Saturday morning.

The report from the Toronto Star is here.

Contacted by reporters today, the Oilers weren't saying very much. "We're aware of situation but can't talk about it," a team spokesman said. While the team is keeping quiet, as per league rules during the current lockout, Mark Spector of Sportsnet added this on Twitter:

Sounds like Eager "weapon" might be chair. All caught on surveillance vid, to be presented to judge tmw. Happened 1 a.m. Saturday morning."

Stay tuned.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 OilClog
October 20 2012, 09:33PM

DSF, why throw Hordichuk in this? I'm sure plenty of people label you a clown... But unlike you, it's posted in reply..

#2 DSF
October 20 2012, 08:48PM

The guy is a clown.

Has been sent packing by his last two NHL teams for being undisciplined.

What a surprise.

Hordichuk will be next.

#3 Archaeologuy
October 21 2012, 12:12AM

I bet somebody tried to explain to him that the PA's proposals werent 50/50. The only thing more volatile than a pro athlete physically confronted is one who's forced to answer basic math questions.*

*Or any Goalie. Ever. In any circumstance. Those guys are f*^king crazy.

#4 Calvin
October 21 2012, 01:30AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

*Or any Goalie. Ever. In any circumstance. Those guys are f*^king crazy.

"The only job worse is a javelin catcher at a track-and-field meet." - Gump Worsley

#5 RyanCoke
October 20 2012, 09:16PM

Meh not shocking, now if it were the nuge standing on a chair with a broken bottle screaming "COME AT ME PEASANTS!!" that would be shocking and newsworthy

#6 Guy Lafleur
October 20 2012, 10:03PM

Eager - get rid of him Hordy - love him he stays ..end of .

#7 Fresh Mess
October 20 2012, 10:48PM

He didn't show any fight when RNH and Hemsky were being cross checked through the boards last season.

#8 Gret99zky
October 21 2012, 09:26AM

This wouldn't have happened if Eager was where he is supposed to be. Behind the podium with Donald Fehr.

#9 Leroy
October 20 2012, 08:42PM

This one would be to easy

#10 Walter Sobchak
October 20 2012, 09:28PM
DSF wrote:

The guy is a clown.

Has been sent packing by his last two NHL teams for being undisciplined.

What a surprise.

Hordichuk will be next.

I agree Eager is a clown and I got to say I am not at all shocked.

However, I got a buddy who has fought Hordichuk a lot! and he's got nothing but respect and great things to say about him. call's him the classiest player he ever fought.

I get the feeling he's well liked. regardless of his skill's.

#11 RexLibris
October 20 2012, 10:01PM

Eager is another size experiment that, to me, has proven two things: a.) the Oilers need to upgrade their pro scouting game, I don't know how, but this is an area in need of improvement. b.) picking players, even free agents, because of size is wrong-headed.

Let's use the suggested comparison of Hordichuk. He's smaller and slower than Eager, yet were I to try and sign one as a free agent, it'd be Hordichuk hands down (or up to protect my face, as the case may be). Penner was heralded due to size, as has been Eager. Gagner is crucified because of the same issue but on the other end of the scale. Yet which player has shown more fight and vigour in his NHL career?

Back to Eager, I hope he gets this sorted out. If the year is cancelled, he could easily see his contract bought out and be looking for work overseas before too long.

#12 Oiler Al
October 20 2012, 10:29PM

His first fight as an Oiler. Get rid of this clown.... he was brought in to protect the young guns...hasnt done any of the sort... Thinks he's the second coming of Gordie Howe.Can skate, but thats about it.

#13 v-man
October 21 2012, 02:48AM

Eager is a goof. 'Nuf said.

#14 Oilfan69
October 21 2012, 10:01AM

@Gret99zky

This wouldn't have happened if Eager was where he is supposed to be. Under the podium with Donald Fehr.

There fixed that for you

#15 Guy Lafleur
October 21 2012, 10:11AM

Maybe thats the secret the OIL have to sign his brother also ..a tag team act !! Chairs and ladder match!!

#16 OilFan
October 21 2012, 11:20AM

I will wait to hear the details

#17 6 ring circus
October 21 2012, 12:07PM

Another good reason the NHL should bring in NON Guaranteed contracts!!!

#18 canucknnv
October 21 2012, 01:53PM

"Hordichuk will be next."

Not sure how he gets thrown into the topic. I've seen nothing but class from this guy since he's joined the team, I'm positive thats theres better options than Darcy but thats for another day. I hope Eager gets punished properly if in fact he was an idiot. If not I hope they get rid of him anyways.

#19 !!!!!!!
October 21 2012, 04:49PM

This is not the first time and it won't be the last......he's got major issues, had a few altercations last year with a few of his teammates and one very big one with Peckham (that I'm sure Brownlee and Gregor know of) the guy is not very liked in the dressing room!!!

#20 !!!!!!!
October 21 2012, 04:49PM

#21 !!!!!!!
October 21 2012, 04:50PM

#22 Spydyr
October 21 2012, 04:57PM

Put him on waivers as soon as the lock out is over.Then Stockton..... smell you later.

#23 Hayek
October 21 2012, 05:57PM
RexLibris wrote:

Sorry, when you make any adovcation of employing Horidchuk over any other player in the NHL, you lose an extreme amount of credibility. Using extreme examples to try and make a point are a poor way to back up an argument.

Hordichuk has zero hockey skills, all he brings to the table is he is willing to fight (he doesn't even win fights).

As terrible a person Eager is for breaking the law here, hockey-wise, he has historically been an effective player within a bottom 6 role.