NHL replacement players? Forget about it!

Jason Strudwick
October 03 2012 03:09PM

I have always been a big fan of Abba. Love the music, the beat and even the dancing they did in concert. However, unlike Wanye after a break up, I never cried myself to sleep listening to 'One of Us'. Doesn't mean I didn't feel the passion!

I would love to see them live in concert. It would be awesome. Reports out of Sweden say they were offered a billion dollars to get back together. They turned it down, no chance of a reunion tour. Brutal! So what is the next best thing?

Replacements! Same music, clothes, beat and dancing, but still just replacements. It just wouldn't be the same. The quality just wouldn't be there.

Earlier in the week former Toronto Maple Leafs assistant G.M. Bill Watters suggested he wouldn't be surprised if the NHL turned to replacement players by mid-November. Other leagues have done this before. The goal of this tactic would be to break the union by having NHLPA members cross the line.

If the NHL decided to go this route it would make life very tough on many NHLPA members. Does a guy cross or not? Who would be the first guy? How long to wait before crossing? I wouldn't want to have to make these choices. Even though you are a member of the NHLPA at some point you have to do what is right for just you. It could mean becoming a scab.

I am less interested in the reaction of NHLPA members than I am in the NHL fans. Would they want to see scabs play? Would you?

Where would these replacement players come from? Where are the next best 750 hockey players hiding? My guess would be the AHL, the European leagues and drafted players currently playing at a junior level somewhere in the world.

Would the hockey be good? It would be about the same level as the AHL.

NHL-Caliber Players

Photo: southcentral/Wikimedia/CC BY-SA 2.0

Right off the top, the most talented players are no longer playing in the NHL. So no Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Jagr, or Parise. Eventually, players would come along to fill the star power the NHL has now but it would take time. Don't expect it by Christmas or even in the next three years.

Could the bottom half of the roster be replaced right away? You could find guys to take those spots but they would all be missing something current third and fourth liners have. Many guys in the AHL cannot break through to the NHL because they are pretty good at a few roles required on a NHL roster but a master of none.

The bottom half of NHL rosters are made up of specialists. Even though they may not have the top end talent the top two lines have, trust me, they have plenty of talent. It is not super easy to replace them. If it is why do so many teams struggle to find a great fourth line center that wins draws? Energy players that bring it every night but can also think the game? Penalty killers that are willing to risk their lives by diving in front of Shea Weber bombs and most often not get hurt?

Trust me, the NHL-caliber player isn't all over the place. Are there good hockey players outside the NHL? Yes. But they are not the same caliber.

The replacement player NHL would be of a lower speed and quality. Would you want to go and watch for the same price you pay now for Oilers tickets? How about fifty percent of that? Thirty percent? Fifteen percent? Now the price is down to what you would pay to see a game in the AHL because that is the level of play you would be watching.

Nope, I don't think replacement players are the solution, compromise is. But if there were replacements players, who do you think would be the first current NHL player to cross the line and join the replacements?

RECENTLY BY JASON STRUDWICK

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
Jason hosts the Jason Strudwick show from 9pm to 12am, weeknights on the team 1260. He is an instructor at Mount Carmel Hockey Academy and loves working with the kids. Having played over 650 games in the NHL, Jason has some great stories and unique takes on life in the NHL. He loves Slurpees and Blizzards. Dislikes baggy clothes and close talkers.
Avatar
#1 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
October 03 2012, 03:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

McFIST!!

Avatar
#2 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
October 03 2012, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Has there been any major league that used replacement players? That probably answers that question.

Also, I watch the Oilers because I grew up with the team over the years; Weight, Staios, Comrie, Selivanov, BoBo, CuJo, Hemmer, Kovalenko, The Kid Line, now Ebs, Hallsy, NUGE, etc. Why would I watch strangers play?

Avatar
#3 Oil Is My Blood
October 03 2012, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

seems to me the fist players to cross over would be those who may not have another year left in them - Nikolai would probably lead the pack!

Avatar
#4 Ron Peters
October 03 2012, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It sounds like a great opportunity for a 29th place team to go deep into the playoffs! Everyone is equal when you're starting from scratch.

Avatar
#5 Oil Is My Blood
October 03 2012, 03:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

Has there been any major league that used replacement players? That probably answers that question.

Also, I watch the Oilers because I grew up with the team over the years; Weight, Staios, Comrie, Selivanov, BoBo, CuJo, Hemmer, Kovalenko, The Kid Line, now Ebs, Hallsy, NUGE, etc. Why would I watch strangers play?

1987 NFL (pretty major league, huh) 3 weeks of replacement players

1995 MLB owners went as far as they could about getting replacement players (Dennis boyd amongst others), but a judge issued an injunction

Avatar
#6 geoilersgist
October 03 2012, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

JG or Lowetide wrote about this the other day. I think aging players like Khabbi are the ones to cross first.

Avatar
#7 Mantastic
October 03 2012, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

players like jamal meyers and brendan morrison would be crossing that line too. ageing players clawing for an NHL spot.

Avatar
#8 Walter Sobchak
October 03 2012, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

No Crosby-Malkin-OV8???

Your argument is the top 2 % percent of the league? in Edmonton we see them once ever year? Possible two?

50% of NHL players never even played a full season last year, another 100 or so players may never play in the NHL again. The rest of the players you mentioned the bottom 6 or even the bottom 3 make less then 2 million a year.

With the exception of the "specialists" who may make a little more.

The Oilers basically have rebuilt there roster in 3 years and not all with NHL players I might add.

You mention scabs? Lets say the Oilers draft Lazar? Would he now be mentioned as a scab? Would Yakupov be a scab? How about Bunz or Roy? Schultz?

These are he players the Oilers for instance would recall first if the NHL decided to use an alternative method of playing games, not replacement players but drafted players supplementing current AHL players and European players.

These players have never played in the NHL only drafted by the NHL, I think your caliber of players are way off, NHL teams would rebound fast!!!

How is it ok that NHL players can take the jobs of players in Europe the AHL and KHL but the mention of using alternative players in the NHL gets met with such a bad reaction??

Not to mention once this happens, it will be like dominios how fast the others would return. Of course those top players such as Crosby-Malkin-OV8 and Parise can go ahead and start there own league. Think about this, what happens if the NHL decides that hockey is not working in DAL-PHX-NASH-CBJ-NYI and decide to contract these teams as well. If there is no hockey this year I will guarantee there will be hockey next year, lockout or not.

Avatar
#9 Kyle
October 03 2012, 04:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I would welcome replacement players. They players aren't going to get what they want anyways, so why not have some guys play some NHL hockey, it would be completely unpredictable, and for a change we would get to see some players, although they might be nobodies, that feel very fortunate to wear an NHL jersey, and who aren't part of a union or aren't hung up on the money.

It would be kind of neat in my opinion, you would be making a ton of guys dreams come true, and even though you wouldn't see as skilled a product on the ice, it might remind everyone how lucky you are to play at that level, and what the game means to us. That's just my opinion, but I think it would be great just because of that.

Avatar
#10 brocktw
October 03 2012, 04:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Sean Avery = first of the scabs

Avatar
#12 Quicksilver ballet
October 03 2012, 05:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

As previously mentioned, we've been watching B rate hockey here for 5 yrs already.

Nobody has accepted substandard hockey more than this Edmonton hockey market. Pull all those old numbers out of the rafters and put them on the backs of the replacement players. Edmontonians will probably never be able to tell the difference. They finished dead last multiple yrs and were still able to raise ticket prices. They'll buy anything, as long as they're wearing that crest.

Avatar
#13 bmac
October 03 2012, 05:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This is a blessing in disguise. Better start lacing up the skates again, Struds.

Avatar
#14 Chainsawz
October 03 2012, 05:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I won't even watch replacement players for free on a free TV. You'd literally would have to pay me my OT rate at my job to watch that. I'm not kidding.

Avatar
#16 RexLibris
October 03 2012, 05:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

*NHL Replacement Players? Fuhgettaboutit!*

Fixed.

;-)

Avatar
#17 Big Cap
October 03 2012, 05:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

So your blanket statement says all NHL players are not thankful for playing in the NHL? I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't think they know how lucky they are to be in the NHL?

Do you know how many hours are spent preparing to get to the NHL? Each player there has earned the right to be in the NHL.

This lockout is strictly business. That's all. It should not be viewed as a group of spoiled brats asking for more. Last I checked they have already submitted an offer to take less.

Be careful with your general blanket statements. Where is your proof that players don't recognize they are lucky and are not grateful to be in the NHL. Showme specific quotes and examples, then we will have a fact based discussion. I have been inside those rooms so I have my facts. Get yours and bring them to this discussion.

Its their "right" to play in the NHL???

They should be thanking their lucky stars each and every day they are playing in the NHL.

Every single reader and poster on this site would do almost anything to be in their situation.

I'm not against them making millions and millions, living a dream lifestyle and making money off of endorsements. However, maybe they should just keep their months shut, take the money and run...

Avatar
#18 RexLibris
October 03 2012, 05:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I see Markov has joined Vityaz Chekhov of the KHL - aka, the Goon Squad. Strange collaboration there.

I hope he doesn't injure himself in one of their staged line brawls.

Avatar
#19 Walter Sobchak
October 03 2012, 05:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Jason Strudwick

I don't agree that players are not thankful, I think they truly are.

I also agree that this is a business, and like I said on my previous post, if you think this lockout goes into a second year your dreaming.

As mentioned above, it would take the league 3-4 years to become elite again with no NHLers. A lot less when over 50% of the players return or cross over.

What choice would they have? What choice do they have?

The NHLPA does not have a whole lot of power the longer this goes on, next month the players start to loose a lot of money.

Once the league starts talking alternative players and contraction, the NHLPA won't have many options left.

It's not about the name on the back but the crest on the front!

Avatar
#20 The Goalie 1976
October 03 2012, 05:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Bulin and that age group would be the first to cross. I want to know why some sort of mediator hasn't been appointed. Both the NHL and NHLPA have to deal with them during un-resolved RFA players, so why not now. Everyone knows that a middle-ground will be the end result anyway. So why are both sides doing the finger pointing at the other. What a waste of time. I actually hate BOTH Bettman and Fehr now. They are both equally responsible to fix this mess, so shut up and split the difference, then play some hockey!

They should each get 1 hour to present their case in front of the mediator, then a binding decision is rendered lasting 15 years. Done. The funny thing is I bet both sides would 'overall' be satisfied with the CBA.

Avatar
#21 oilers2k14
October 03 2012, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sure why not..at least it's pro hockey and would be televised . Let the greedy owners and stubborn players fight over their cake..

Until they can figure out how to divide millions that the fans give them to play and run their teams I would gladly watch AHL level hockey..

I think the players are feeling like they are being bullied by the owners, and owners want what NBA and NFL have, 50/50 or close to it..owners had to settle for 43% last time now they want 50%, I think most players would accept their share going down 1% for next seven years to get to 50/50 and not taking a pay cut on current salaries but owners want a fix instantly for something that has taken seven years to get this bad.. Players have shown how much they care about their peers by taking the jobs of players away in europe(I know they arent part of the same union but isn't there some code of respect for taking another players job only to ditch it the second your own league is running again?)..

Replacements here we come! Maybe in 10 years they will make a movie of it..could be interesting..

Avatar
#22 Gret99zky
October 03 2012, 06:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Replacement players? I am getting ready to stop watching the regular players when they return.

All my Oiler gear (jersey, hats, gloves, magnets, socks, banners, and pictures) is in a box in the closet right now.

I have signed on to play for two different shinny teams this year. The players have already been replaced.

Avatar
#23 Dave o
October 03 2012, 06:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The answer is simple. The likely hood of scabs working is directly proportional to the likely hood a star player determines the outcome of the game. Due to a 20 player roster and the fact defensive systems and hard work can often neutralize a star, filling the roster with "almost"'nhlers will be almost the same thing most nights.

Avatar
#24 blue31
October 03 2012, 06:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I would have no problem with replacement players.

Does anyone have a problem watching the World Juniors? They certainly aren't as good as NHL players, but the entertainment value is there. College football?

My kid's minor hockey games are quite often more exciting and enjoyable than watching NHL robots go through the motions. In my opinion, the talent level of NHL players has become so good that a lot of the excitement and creativity has long since left the game.

Both sides of this stalemate really piss me off. I have a seriously ill family member, bills that are stacking up, – real life stuff. NHL hockey is an opportunity to put life's problems aside for 3 hours. An small escape from reality. No more, no less.

There are thousands of people who depend on spinoff income from NHL hockey to meet their monthly bills. And all these millionaire owners and players can do is fight over how to divvy up an unfathomable amount of money. Right now I'm mad. In a couple of months I will no longer care about the NHL.

Avatar
#25 Professor Humphries
October 03 2012, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I would absolutely watch replacement players. A few of these guys should be in the NHL but for whatever reason, never got the opprtunity that others have.

Also, the calibre of replacement hockey would still be much higher than junior hockey in the CHL. So if you enjoy watching a lower calibre hockey such as the WHL or Oil Kings games, these NHL replacement players would provide higher quality hockey.

On another note, some current NHL players would cross the line, and play. Everyone makes Bettman out to be the villain, but forget how greedy these players are (especially the journeymen with no talent).

Avatar
#26 Kodiak
October 03 2012, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

So your blanket statement says all NHL players are not thankful for playing in the NHL? I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't think they know how lucky they are to be in the NHL?

Do you know how many hours are spent preparing to get to the NHL? Each player there has earned the right to be in the NHL.

This lockout is strictly business. That's all. It should not be viewed as a group of spoiled brats asking for more. Last I checked they have already submitted an offer to take less.

Be careful with your general blanket statements. Where is your proof that players don't recognize they are lucky and are not grateful to be in the NHL. Showme specific quotes and examples, then we will have a fact based discussion. I have been inside those rooms so I have my facts. Get yours and bring them to this discussion.

You are missing the point, Struds. The issue isn't with the players right to be in the NHL, it's that they come across as being entitled to big money contracts, entitled to 57% of hrr. When players make comments about how hard they work and how much effort they've had to put in to get there so they "deserve" millions, that entitlement is what pisses fans off and makes them come across as unappreciative. I work about 3000 hours a year and I would bet the average hockey player puts in less than half of that. There are millions of people that work as hard and take on more risks than a hockey player ever will, so the "entitled" compensation players expect definitely screams unappreciative to be in the NHL making the money they do make.

And in what other business does the business owner have to tell his employees what he makes in the first place? Do you think Brownlee is going to open his books to his employees and shell out 57% of the revenue to them? Should the Rexall employees get together and demand 57% from Katz business revenues because he's making lots of money off them? It sounds ridiculous in every other scenario, but somehow NHL players think it's acceptable to extort the owners because they are making money off players. I know, I know, it's different, because they aren't hockey players that work so much harder than everyone else?!?

No one is begrudging hockey players from making decent money, but when the average salary is over $2.5 million the players aren't going to have too many fans feeling sorry for them.

Avatar
#27 Harlie
October 03 2012, 06:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Avery would be driving the scab bus through the gates.

http://www.canada.com/business/Gallery+Gainers+strike+1986/4918971/story.html

Avatar
#28 Harlie
October 03 2012, 06:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

and Abba Chiquitita was strange and intoxicating and made the hairs on my arms stand up when I was a kid hearing it for the first time.

Now when I hear it and it goes "whoomph" and kicks in the whirlybird style part, I imagine running up and and down the halls of my house as a kid. And the hairs on my arms still stand up.

Avatar
#29 jeffg
October 03 2012, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

So your blanket statement says all NHL players are not thankful for playing in the NHL? I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't think they know how lucky they are to be in the NHL?

Do you know how many hours are spent preparing to get to the NHL? Each player there has earned the right to be in the NHL.

This lockout is strictly business. That's all. It should not be viewed as a group of spoiled brats asking for more. Last I checked they have already submitted an offer to take less.

Be careful with your general blanket statements. Where is your proof that players don't recognize they are lucky and are not grateful to be in the NHL. Showme specific quotes and examples, then we will have a fact based discussion. I have been inside those rooms so I have my facts. Get yours and bring them to this discussion.

Actually there has not been any offer from the players where they will take less.

Avatar
#30 jeffg
October 03 2012, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

So your blanket statement says all NHL players are not thankful for playing in the NHL? I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't think they know how lucky they are to be in the NHL?

Do you know how many hours are spent preparing to get to the NHL? Each player there has earned the right to be in the NHL.

This lockout is strictly business. That's all. It should not be viewed as a group of spoiled brats asking for more. Last I checked they have already submitted an offer to take less.

Be careful with your general blanket statements. Where is your proof that players don't recognize they are lucky and are not grateful to be in the NHL. Showme specific quotes and examples, then we will have a fact based discussion. I have been inside those rooms so I have my facts. Get yours and bring them to this discussion.

Actually there has not been any offer from the players where they will take less.

Avatar
#31 Walter Sobchak
October 03 2012, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Goalie 1976 wrote:

Bulin and that age group would be the first to cross. I want to know why some sort of mediator hasn't been appointed. Both the NHL and NHLPA have to deal with them during un-resolved RFA players, so why not now. Everyone knows that a middle-ground will be the end result anyway. So why are both sides doing the finger pointing at the other. What a waste of time. I actually hate BOTH Bettman and Fehr now. They are both equally responsible to fix this mess, so shut up and split the difference, then play some hockey!

They should each get 1 hour to present their case in front of the mediator, then a binding decision is rendered lasting 15 years. Done. The funny thing is I bet both sides would 'overall' be satisfied with the CBA.

This makes far to much sense! I agree. Get two independent mediators and come to a conclusion.

Avatar
#32 Walter Sobchak
October 03 2012, 07:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Kodiak

3000 hours! My god man you need a vacation!

Avatar
#33 Hair bag
October 03 2012, 08:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

So your blanket statement says all NHL players are not thankful for playing in the NHL? I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't think they know how lucky they are to be in the NHL?

Do you know how many hours are spent preparing to get to the NHL? Each player there has earned the right to be in the NHL.

This lockout is strictly business. That's all. It should not be viewed as a group of spoiled brats asking for more. Last I checked they have already submitted an offer to take less.

Be careful with your general blanket statements. Where is your proof that players don't recognize they are lucky and are not grateful to be in the NHL. Showme specific quotes and examples, then we will have a fact based discussion. I have been inside those rooms so I have my facts. Get yours and bring them to this discussion.

A little touchy Studs! Apparently your tank isn't completely empty - seems to be some passion still firing in there....

First, comments like the ones Krys Barch made the other day are what turns fans off - the fact that he says a majority of his brethern will have to work for the next 50yrs because they don't make enough money just makes him sound stupid! Two words - Financial Advisor. Anyone making anywhere near a million a year for more than a couple years should have no trouble setting themselves up for a comfortable future after hockey is over. Yes you MAY still have to work but you still won't be anywhere near the situation the average joe struggles with every day and if you are intelligent enough you won't HAVE TO work, you will work because you want to.

Second, you are right it is a business and it is about money but let's call a spade a spade - the perception is the players got their asses handed to them in the last CBA (when in fact it turned out very well for them) and their pride won't let them take another perceived beating. The facts are this though, the game is bigger than the players, 50-50 is a fair deal and reasonable from a player perspective and a business perspective. If at the next agreement the owners try to grind them down more then maybe I will sympathize with the players but right now not a chance, this isn't Ted Lindsay's NHL anymore, the pendulum has swung far the other way.

Third, I am not a fan of the owners as they are the ones who created this mess but at the end of the day the NHL is THEIR business! I find it amusing that the NHLPA has tried to present an alternative system to do business - WELL IT'S NOT YOUR BUSINESS, YOU ARE EMPLOYEES - so work within the framework that is set out by the business owners otherwise go start your own league and run it the way you want!

Avatar
#34 GNikkles
October 03 2012, 08:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Kodiak

You're working 60 hr work weeks? How much do you get paid? Let's post our salaries for the world to see like NHL players do and judge whether we deserve it or not.

Also, when you say they work half that, are you accounting for travel time and time away from their families?

Your whole post screams I work so hard, pay attention to me, I'm unappreciated. You are what many people would refer to as a hater. Jealous and unhappy woth their lot in life so you chip at other peoples castles from your treefort.

News flash - Hockey players get paid what they do because someone is willing to pay them for the specific services they provide, and when it comes to accepting a wage for a position everyone has the right to accept or refuse. The players have refused, and well see how it turns out.

Why don't you tell us about your last wage negotiation and what your job function was and well all cast judgement on whether you were right or wrong?

Avatar
#35 BlacqueJacque
October 03 2012, 08:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kodiak wrote:

You are missing the point, Struds. The issue isn't with the players right to be in the NHL, it's that they come across as being entitled to big money contracts, entitled to 57% of hrr. When players make comments about how hard they work and how much effort they've had to put in to get there so they "deserve" millions, that entitlement is what pisses fans off and makes them come across as unappreciative. I work about 3000 hours a year and I would bet the average hockey player puts in less than half of that. There are millions of people that work as hard and take on more risks than a hockey player ever will, so the "entitled" compensation players expect definitely screams unappreciative to be in the NHL making the money they do make.

And in what other business does the business owner have to tell his employees what he makes in the first place? Do you think Brownlee is going to open his books to his employees and shell out 57% of the revenue to them? Should the Rexall employees get together and demand 57% from Katz business revenues because he's making lots of money off them? It sounds ridiculous in every other scenario, but somehow NHL players think it's acceptable to extort the owners because they are making money off players. I know, I know, it's different, because they aren't hockey players that work so much harder than everyone else?!?

No one is begrudging hockey players from making decent money, but when the average salary is over $2.5 million the players aren't going to have too many fans feeling sorry for them.

I agree with your general sentiment - millionaires and billionaires pissing on fans in turns - but your idea isn't all that bad.

Why shouldn't my employer spend 57% or even 60% of revenue on me and the other workers who make the money for him? I work up north as well, and like you, I've put in 3000 hour years (let's be honest - you don't always do this and neither do I). I'm charged out at over $100/hr. I earn less than half of that. Some of the rest is WCB and other nonsense, but I don't see most of it.

But as to the reason why I support the player position - if players earn less, I'm not paying one red cent less on my tickets. I'd rather my money go to the guys laying their bodies (and heads) on the line for my entertainment than Richie McDouchebag who wants 6 million dollars so he can pay the city 5 and a half million dollars back.

Avatar
#36 Hair bag
October 03 2012, 08:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Oh and as far as replacement players go I would definitely watch because at the end of the day it is about the game! Yes I appreciate the fact that the best players in the world are there because they work the hardest and have the most talent but at the end of the day I want to be entertained watching the game we all grew up loving! It could be the local Jr. B team or a bunch of tidbits, as long as they are trying their hardest there will always be some elements of skill there that you can appreciate - but the most important thing is the effort - I am willing to watch anyone who tries their hardest no matter what level they are. The same could be said of replacement players, maybe it won't be the same level as the top 750 but it would still be good hockey to watch...

Avatar
#37 Wanyes bastard child
October 03 2012, 08:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

You know who makes to much money? Oprah Winfrey, I swear that I will never watch anything from or by her again!

Avatar
#38 Gnikkles
October 03 2012, 08:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BlacqueJacque wrote:

I agree with your general sentiment - millionaires and billionaires pissing on fans in turns - but your idea isn't all that bad.

Why shouldn't my employer spend 57% or even 60% of revenue on me and the other workers who make the money for him? I work up north as well, and like you, I've put in 3000 hour years (let's be honest - you don't always do this and neither do I). I'm charged out at over $100/hr. I earn less than half of that. Some of the rest is WCB and other nonsense, but I don't see most of it.

But as to the reason why I support the player position - if players earn less, I'm not paying one red cent less on my tickets. I'd rather my money go to the guys laying their bodies (and heads) on the line for my entertainment than Richie McDouchebag who wants 6 million dollars so he can pay the city 5 and a half million dollars back.

Agreed with Blaque Jacque, and not only that but players should not be held accountable for pissing on the fans any more than a Costco employee should be held accountable for Costco customer satisfaction in the event of the Costco employee saying that they will not work for X dollars..

At the end of the day accountability for the fan thing is the owners and managements responsibility, not the players.

Avatar
#39 Bank Shot
October 03 2012, 08:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

The Oilers already sold out a complete season where we watched replacement level players night in and out. It was called 2009-2010.

Brule O'Sullivan Potulny Nilsson Grebeshkov Pouliot Stortini Jacques Chorney Deslauriers

Get Staios, Strudwick, Pisani, Moreau, and Comrie out of retirement and the whole band is back together!

I'm sure Dean Arsene would jump at the chance to pull on an NHL sweater for another 20 games.

Yea. Replacement players would prove to be a worse product then the current NHLers, but we've been watching that sad story for years. The front of the jersey sells tickets and even with replacement players, our team would get a shot at the cup and a draft pick. 2-3 years of replacement players, and we would barely miss 90% of the current players.

I'd rather watch the real thing, but I'd get over it. The average player made out like a bandit in the last CBA, but they don't even know it. If it weren't for the cap, and league maxs and minimums on player salaries, the Crosbys would be making $20 million a season and the Strudwick's $200-300 thousand. Average second liners are getting $4+ million. Perhaps the players should step back from the red button and contemplate how good the last CBA has been to them.

Avatar
#40 GNikkles
October 03 2012, 09:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

You know who makes to much money? Oprah Winfrey, I swear that I will never watch anything from or by her again!

Except for Eat Yourself Sexy.

Avatar
#41 Cory Dakin
October 03 2012, 09:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Gret99zky wrote:

Replacement players? I am getting ready to stop watching the regular players when they return.

All my Oiler gear (jersey, hats, gloves, magnets, socks, banners, and pictures) is in a box in the closet right now.

I have signed on to play for two different shinny teams this year. The players have already been replaced.

You're going to be choked when locked out NHL players take your spot on the two shinny teams.

Avatar
#42 Captain Obvious
October 03 2012, 09:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

First, the players aren't employees, they are the product. Spending 57% your revenue on your product is a pretty good cost.

Second, the players don't get 57% of revenue since what is counted as revenue already has expenses deducted from it.

Third, the players get 0% of non-HRR revenue even though this revenue is a direct result of hockey (see arena deal).

Fourth, both the NFL and the NBA reached their deals without rollbacks on player salaries. The owners aren't asking for what the NFL and the NBA got. They are asking for significantly more

So, before you resent the players on what they get paid you should educate yourself on these preliminary concepts.

While the players are doing this out of self-interest they are, in effect, fighting for the future of the game. Baseball was marred by endless labour conflict until the players showed the owners that the costs of victory were too high. Since then baseball has enjoyed labour peace that is the envy of professional sports and as a result has reached unprecedented popularity and prosperity.

The best we can hope for is a cancelled season in which the owners don't get what they want. Otherwise there will be a lockout or strike every six years from here to eternity.

Avatar
#43 book¡e
October 03 2012, 09:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Captain Obvious

Players take no financial risk and cannot lose money. I would offer the players 60% of PROFITS and make them equally responsible for 60% of LOSSES.

This is why the players will never start their own league - they could lose money that way.

I am fine with people earning millions and billions, but for me, the league is stronger and better when owners have more money to invest in the game. I could care less if players have more money as they are going to play equally as hard if they make $200,000 or $20,000,000.

Avatar
#44 Bank Shot
October 03 2012, 09:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Says:While the players are doing this out of self-interest they are, in effect, fighting for the future of the game. Baseball was marred by endless labour conflict until the players showed the owners that the costs of victory were too high. Since then baseball has enjoyed labour peace that is the envy of professional sports and as a result has reached unprecedented popularity and prosperity.

The average hockey player makes out way better then the average baseball player. The only guys getting hurt by a cap in the NHL system are the "Abbas" ie. Crosby's and Ovechkins.

Take the 15th highest payroll team in baseball. Chicago Cubs. They have 12 players making $2 million plus. The team going into this season in the NHL with the 15th highest cap hit is the Red Wings. They have 14 players making $2 million plus.

MLB makes over twice the revenue of the NHL. Who is getting the raw deal? It sure isn't NHL players. Well except for the ultra high end guys. They are the only ones that aren't getting paid more then they are worth.

If the players really believe that the players are the game, then perhaps the bottom 90% of NHL rosters should be giving up 20% of their salaries to the guys that put butts in the seats.

Avatar
#45 Hair bag
October 03 2012, 09:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Captain Obvious wrote:

First, the players aren't employees, they are the product. Spending 57% your revenue on your product is a pretty good cost.

Second, the players don't get 57% of revenue since what is counted as revenue already has expenses deducted from it.

Third, the players get 0% of non-HRR revenue even though this revenue is a direct result of hockey (see arena deal).

Fourth, both the NFL and the NBA reached their deals without rollbacks on player salaries. The owners aren't asking for what the NFL and the NBA got. They are asking for significantly more

So, before you resent the players on what they get paid you should educate yourself on these preliminary concepts.

While the players are doing this out of self-interest they are, in effect, fighting for the future of the game. Baseball was marred by endless labour conflict until the players showed the owners that the costs of victory were too high. Since then baseball has enjoyed labour peace that is the envy of professional sports and as a result has reached unprecedented popularity and prosperity.

The best we can hope for is a cancelled season in which the owners don't get what they want. Otherwise there will be a lockout or strike every six years from here to eternity.

First: They are employees who create a product, they can be replaced and the product still exists.

Second: Perhaps the players should pay all their own expenses - Flights, meals, equipment, sticks, tape, therapists, doctors, etc, everything...then maybe you can throw the whole pie in there. As a matter of fact lets make it a complete partnership where the players get x% (whatever you think it should be because you are so smart) of revenues but they also have to pay their % of advertising/marketing, building maintenance, the payroll for all the support staff, etc...

Third: if they want non-HRR then start their own league

Fourth: This is the only comment you made that has some merit as far as there being no rollback...but the NFL and NBA players still get 50% or less of revenues.

Finally: MLB is the worst run of all the leagues - there is no parity, it is the top third of teams that buy all the talent and the rest are basically feeder teams for developing that talent and then watching it leave....been there done that in the 90's in the NHL (especially with the Oilers), no thanks we don't need a system like that.

Avatar
#46 Bank Shot
October 03 2012, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I should note that while MLB revenues are over $7 billion, they only spend about $3 billion on salaries.

NHLers have the best deal in pro sports by a mile. Perhaps they can move a bit from their huge piece of the cake.

Avatar
#47 Moses
October 03 2012, 09:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I would watch for sure. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I also watch the world juniors and often enjoy it much more than nhl games.

I find regular season games to lack intensity on many nights, possibly replacements given the chance could play with more passion and excitement .

Avatar
#48 bmac
October 03 2012, 10:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

Ha! I loved playing my while career but my tank is empty! Maybe I could be the replacement organ player or anthem signer?

Paul Lorieau needs a replacement. You've got my vote!

Avatar
#49 Hammers
October 03 2012, 11:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I wouldn't watch or pay a penney but don't kid yourself my guess is about 150 to 200 current players would cross .NHL players in the AHL or the young ones have the most to loose so I don't think they would .Neither would the "star players". Those AHL players signed by there team have contracts but you could fill the teams with Euros & juniors who never made it to the show .It would look ugly and I think the AHL would be a better game to see . ps Maybe old guys like you would come out for 1 more year .

Avatar
#50 Kodiak
October 03 2012, 11:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
GNikkles wrote:

You're working 60 hr work weeks? How much do you get paid? Let's post our salaries for the world to see like NHL players do and judge whether we deserve it or not.

Also, when you say they work half that, are you accounting for travel time and time away from their families?

Your whole post screams I work so hard, pay attention to me, I'm unappreciated. You are what many people would refer to as a hater. Jealous and unhappy woth their lot in life so you chip at other peoples castles from your treefort.

News flash - Hockey players get paid what they do because someone is willing to pay them for the specific services they provide, and when it comes to accepting a wage for a position everyone has the right to accept or refuse. The players have refused, and well see how it turns out.

Why don't you tell us about your last wage negotiation and what your job function was and well all cast judgement on whether you were right or wrong?

Sorry, Nikklehead, but for as astute as you think you are you didn't get the point at all. Nowhere did I say the players should roll over in this negotiation and give in to the owners. I actually feel they are right. They signed contracts and those contract should be honored.

My point was don't try to justify and have that entitlement of the salaries they make by saying it's because they work so hard and have all these risks, because in Alberta there are thousands of people that work way harder, putting in way more hours with way more risks. It wasn't about me personally, as I'm one of many. I'm not a hater or jealous at all, I just don't like the portrayal that they are hard done by and just regular working stiffs trying to look after themselves.

Comments are closed for this article.