Yakupov scores twice, Malkin gets 3 assists, Tellqvist with a stellar save, and much more!

Steve Dangle
October 31 2012 09:36PM

Another packed day of KHL action here - 11 games!!! That's more than 10 games. It's science.

Yakupov's looking great, Malkin's looking great, some familiar names, some new ones, and some crazy finishes.

Check it out and enjoy!

Yakupov scores a pair, and as always, has awesome cellies, too. Anyone who gets that excited for an empty-netter has to be lethal.

Hands down my favourite game of the day, this was insane start to finish. Literally. I highly recommend this if you miss hockey.

Malkin's team in Magnitogorsk is starting to look monstrous. He's essentially helped turn Enver Lisin into James Neal.

Even without Ovechkin, Dynamo Moscow is legit.

A good ol' chess match. Traktor doesn't have many fancy names outside of Evgeny Kuznetsov (unless you count Andrei Kostitsyn as fancy), but they're at the top of the KHL's eastern conference.

And errrthang in one.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Boourns99
October 31 2012, 09:42PM

BOOM - YAK CITY! This kid is the real deal! I can't wait to see those cellies in Oiler silks. AND...Hope Tueby keeps those FISTicuffs going to protect the talent.

#2 Matt Henderson
October 31 2012, 10:15PM

Sometimes I wonder how much the Oilers need some young dynamic goal scorer. I mean, wouldn't you guys sometimes prefer the mind numbing dependability of a Ryan Murray? Who doesn't appreciate a smooth transition back into their own zone by a d-man? Some sweet D to D passes? I know i just cant get enough highlights of quality gap control. That sh*t gives me chills.

#3 RexLibris
October 31 2012, 11:12PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Like a sweet Toby Peterson powerplay.

To be honest though, I don't think any of us here expected him to be this good come draft day.

There is still a lot to be seen, but the fact that he can do this against professional men in an international league certainly is promising.

#4 xeno
November 01 2012, 01:16AM

yeah the seattle oilers are gonna be so sick.

#5 HardBoiledOil
November 01 2012, 07:05AM

^oh good lord, the way the arena talks are turning into a dogs breakfast, who knows?

#6 Lummeropenet
November 01 2012, 09:42AM

очень хороший Якупов!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

#7 NewAgeSys
November 01 2012, 10:09AM

Very nice finish on the empty netter Nail,it is a pleasure to watch a player who works as hard in the last minute of a game as he does in the first minute of a game,that is a very professional way to conduct yourself.

Is everyone paying attention here???Nuge?Ebbs?Hall?MPS,I know you get it already.This is a serious part of your games,as athletes you are required to remain focused for only 60mins,the expectation is there every game to see a complete 60mins of professional conduct.Moma2 says good job!!!

Just to reinforce this ,the greatest man to ever play the game Wayne Gretzky,,absolutely buried empty netters EVERY TIME HE HAD A CHANCE,because he respected his own effort enough to take the opportunity seriously for his entire career,what exactly do you fellas think you are out there on the ice to accomplish>>>Remember that you are out there to score goals for 60 mins.This isnt just a game ,it is a job.If you left work anywhere in the world without closing up shop at the end of the day you wouldnt be a very sucessful individual.And passing the keys to someone else to close up at the last second just means you arent ready to be your own boss yet,plain and simple.

Funny how many times in the KHL that shooters find that tiny cup in the top corner over the tenders shoulders so much.I cant count how many times i have seen a tender look to that spot after they have been burned.I just cant figure out why that spot is so vulnerable in the KHL,but not in the NHL,is it details the tenders are missing?Is it simply the type of plays they are executing??Are they just trying to be cute??Whatever it is it is very very lethal,those shots are never rockets,but they are deadly accurate and come at just the right times.I am thinking that the defense is consistantly allowing zone presence in select areas that the NHL game prohibits,it seems like opportunity consistantly given by the defense.Not really worked harder to get by the shooter,just the utilisation of what is given by the defense.Or maybe this is what you see when you dont waste possesions on big uncontrollable slap shots over 60mins.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the highlights they are always awsome!!

#8 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
November 01 2012, 10:31AM
NewAgeSys wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to provide the highlights they are always awsome!!

This.

#9 jake
November 01 2012, 10:33AM
Matt Henderson wrote:

funny....

Or the grace and magic that Moreau displayed depositing the puck into the goalie's crest. Who needs a speedy skilled sniper.

#10 Dawn
November 01 2012, 11:09AM

Wouldn't it be fun if Dinamo Minsk cut Pekka Rinne and signed Dubnyk, thus propagating the voodoo magic and keeping it alive.

#11 The Soup Fascist
November 01 2012, 11:21AM

@NewAgeSys

Could not agree more. Focusing for the full 60 minutes and burying "gimme" empty netters is essential for professional hockey players.

Yours in Hockey,

Patrik Stefan

#12 thebiggestmanintheworld
November 01 2012, 12:38PM

Nail is showing he can play with lesser skilled linemates, but the question remains, can he fit with elite skill?

But seriously, this kid is unreal. Hemsky should be the guy on the left wing feeding this guy sauce all game long.

Every day I see these highlight packs I hate the NHL/NHLPA a little more....

#13 Matt Henderson
November 01 2012, 01:16PM

@thebiggestmanintheworld

I've been thinking about Nuge and Eberle on one line because the chemistry is there, and Hall with Yak on another.

Hall loves to carry the puck and is a left winger, Yak is a legit one touch scorer who seems to like the right side, and particularly high up in the circles. I see that as a match made in heaven. Hall drives the puck and draws defenders in and Yak is open up high with that lethal one-timer.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#14 a lg dubl dubl
November 01 2012, 01:39PM

Its to bad Yakupov can't play down in OKC with the rest of the kids, it'd be great to get some chemistry with them while this lockout drags on.

#15 The Soup Fascist
November 01 2012, 02:17PM
thebiggestmanintheworld wrote:

Every day I see these highlight packs I hate the NHL/NHLPA a little more....

Not to throw coldwater on your proposal because I see a lot of benefits to it and reasons for it, but I have a concern.

Let's leave Yakupov on the right as you say (the left handed shot may make for some issues in our own end but he can score from there). My issue is we now have Hemsky on his off wing and now will have to make saucy passes to Yak on his backhand, which is not as desireable.

I get the natural fit between a "pass - first" guy like Hemsky who is great with the puck and a shooter like Yak appears to be. I just have concerns about both of them being on their off wing. Could be disastorous in the d-zone trying to get the puck out and puts Hemsky on his backhand off the boards. Only thing that is a plus is that it leaves Yak in his natural position and he can zing it off wing. Try it for sure, but I am wary.

#16 Will
November 01 2012, 02:40PM

1. Yak and Schultz are both Nugent Hopkinsing right now by exceeding already high expectations.

2. If Edmonton moves to Seattle I will quite being a fan of NHL hockey. Both the owners and the players need to remember, it's not their money, it's our money that we give them in support of their product. Both sides are showing such a high degree of greed it makes me sick to give dollar one back to them. If the owner of the team moves to Seattle because he's not getting enough of a subsidy from the tax payer, then I am out for good.

3. Speaking of the lockout, my first point combined with my second point makes this lockout particularly frustrating. If I was cheering for say Nashville, I wouldn't care if the lockout ever ended because all I had to look forward to was a worse team. But for us fans of the Oil, I am dying to see what these kids, and a new coach can do.

#17 David S
November 01 2012, 04:31PM

Я приятно удивлен и очень немного вызвали с известием о новом Ойлерз игрок хоккей YAKUPOV!

#18 David S
November 01 2012, 04:32PM
David S wrote:

Russian translate fail I'm afraid. BooOOooOoO!

#19 Hair bag
November 01 2012, 10:37PM
The Soup Fascist wrote:

Players with their skill level should be able to pick up passes in any situation, it just may take some time to adapt to the positioning but I have no doubt that Hemsky would be able to pull it off.

#20 The Soup Fascist
November 02 2012, 01:40AM
Hair bag wrote:

Can Hemsky make a backhand pass? Sure. Can they bang a puck out of their zone on the off wing. Absolutely. I may be talking out of my asphalt here, but the game is so fast that the 0.5 seconds it takes to switch body position or to take the puck from forehand to backhand could make the difference between making a clean play or getting a pass tipped or getting squashed. That happens too many times and best case you are fishing the puck out of your net. Worst case you are putting Hemsky on the IR. Sincerely hope you guys are right and I am wrong. The styles DO mesh.

#21 thebiggestmanintheworld
November 02 2012, 05:45AM

@The Soup Fascist

I don't expect Yakupov and Hemsky to be doing a lot of backchecking. Plus, these guys are good enough, backhand sauce is just as nice as forehand sauce.

Line combos be damned, all of us can agree we have some legit options to really attack teams with possibly three lines.

Going to be fun to watch, if we ever get the chance......

#22 Belly
November 02 2012, 11:10PM
Will wrote:

If your on the website, no matter your outlook you will watch another hockey game and be just as dynamic as a fan as you are now. It may take a week or a month, but you will come back even if they stay locked out all year. Just like me and everyone else that cherishes this priceless game.