Career Probabilities: Tyler Pitlick

Jonathan Willis
November 21 2012 08:11AM

What is Tyler Pitlick’s long-term NHL future? Could he be a second-line power forward-type player? Or will he even have an NHL career?

The Concept

First, a brief digression to explain what I am about to do.

When I look at a prospect and ask a question about his future – such as I will do with Pitlick in a moment – I always try to imagine a range of outcomes, and assign probabilities to each. Typically I do this in a subjective way (e.g. “second line forward) but for this exercise I will place definite criteria: games played and points per game.

I am also going to make one other change. Previously, I’ve made my own evaluations of prospects based on my knowledge of similar players. Instead, before evaluating each prospect I’m going to generate a list of comparable players – people who played in similar leagues at a similar age, were drafted in the same range, and had similar career points up to the current season.

How will this new series work? The best way to explain further is probably simply with a test case: in this example, Tyler Pitlick.

Tyler Pitlick

Pitlick is a hard player to nail down. He spent his draft year playing college hockey, than jumped to the WHL, and then jumped to the AHL. Very few players have a similar career curve – looking for comparables, I found no players that had that exact career path (Ottawa’s Jim O’Brien came closest). Instead, I decided to match any player that had a comparable performance in the AHL at the same age and could match one of Pitlick’s two prior seasons.

I was only able to find eight players who fit into my criteria; here’s the list:

Criteria: Drafted between 21st and 41st overall between 1995 and 2007, height greater than 70 inches, broadly similar scoring rates at the same level(s) at the same age.

There’s a distinct flavor to the group. At the top end are guys like Colby Armstrong (two 40-point seasons) and Anthony Stewart; at the bottom end are the Tomas Kurka’s and Travis Brigley’s of the world. Every player on the list eventually played in the NHL, and most of the guys got cameos on other lines but eventually settled into a fourth-line role.

There were probably another two-dozen players who were excluded from the list by my criteria – typically guys who stayed in college or major junior an extra year before graduating to the AHL (Pitlick made the jump at a young age). The results weren’t quite as good for that group, but for the vast majority got some NHL action in a definite role: guy with decent size who can play a bit and adds a little bit of an edge.

The list above – save for Kurka – mostly fits into the same description. Because our list of samples is small, I’m relying a little more on my own judgment and on the list of guys who didn’t quite fit than I would prefer (and will in later pieces). Here is my assessment of his career probabilities:

The best case scenario from the short list is a career similar to Colby Armstrong’s. Because there were so few players on a similar career path to Pitlick, I think I need to add one other best-case scenario, though, from the longer list: James Neal. Neal spent an extra year in major junior, but graduated to the AHL in his Draft+3 season, where he put up mediocre totals. Remarkably, over the next three years he’d score 20+ goals every year at the NHL level, and last season he put away 40 goals for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Most likely outcome: Big fourth-line guy with a versatile game, similar to Josh Green.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Woogie
November 21 2012, 08:39AM

Not a big Pitlick fan. I don't think he has enough scoring to be in the show for any length of time. JW you nailed it. 4th liner/energy guy at best.

#2 Archaeologuy
November 21 2012, 10:45AM

~So Tyler Pitlick ISNT going to replace Sam Gagner as the 2C of the Oilers?~

Dang!

I thought that was a lock.

#3 Oilers89
November 21 2012, 11:14AM

These projections seem fair. However, I like Pitlicks game a lot and according to some he is far more engaged (hitting, driving the net) than last year. It was said in his scouting report that he had an NHL caliber shot in his draft year. A player like this could surprise I feel. There is just too much to like about his game and with some more seasoning and players moving out (eg. hall, ebs, harti, PRV etc) giving him consistent high minutes. I believe with those things there is a chance he becomes a good player (3rd liner, if really lucky more than that) and we forget about his struggles.

#4 B S
November 21 2012, 12:05PM

Neal's 40 goal season needs some perspective though. He was playing with Crosby and Malkin much of that season. My grandmother could score 20 goals a season with those guys. That's not to take away from his history as a 20 goal scorer, just sayin'.

#5 yawto
November 21 2012, 08:19AM

Nice fist article in the series JW. Always keeping us entertained. Maybe the NHL/PA could learn from you how to keep people happy. Good work.

#6 T__Bone88
November 21 2012, 08:40AM

I think Pitlick might have a good career as a 3rd/4th line RW. I wouldn't call Pitlick a bust yet because your AHL stats do not translate to the NHL it seems. I'm sure there have been players who didn't produce well in the AHL but found a niche in the NHL as a shutdown player. I believe it was Eberle who said it was tougher adjusting to playing in the AHL then it was going from junior to NHL.

#8 Dan the Man
November 21 2012, 08:49AM

Is there anything in James Neal's past that would have lead anyone to believe that he would someday be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL?

#10 OilClog
November 21 2012, 09:06AM

James Neal drank Chuck Norris blood 4 years ago...

#11 T__Bone88
November 21 2012, 09:37AM

@Jonathan Willis

I understand that some stats will translate to the NHL. I was just looking at players like Chris Bourque & Keith Aucoin that lead the AHL in points but can't hold a spot on a NHL roster. Even Marc-Antoine Pouliot had a 72 point season in the AHL.

#13 Minister D-
November 21 2012, 11:08AM

On the purely subjective side of the scale:

I spoke briefly with Mike Sillinger last year about Pitlick and learned a couple of things: 1) the Oilers like him a lot, so he's likely going to get every chance to both at the AHL and the NHL levels to prove himself and 2) to quote Silli, "he's a f**king machine"-that is to say, he works extremely hard and is dedicated to being a player. Now, I'm well aware that this falls into the "saw him good" category of prospecting, but this kind of statement from those close to the team, at least for me, suggests that Pitlick is a "prospect of interest." It also makes me think that he could surprise - maybe not James Neal surprise - but surprise nonetheless by putting together a solid NHL career.

#14 Jason Gregor
November 21 2012, 11:13AM

@Jonathan Willis

JW,

I think you'd have to consider possibility that Pitlick might get chance to play with RNH, Eberle, Hall or Yakupov. Playing with those guys would have huge upside for his potential.

When you compared him to others did you look at linemates? Would be extremely hard to do, since I doubt there is data to show accurately who they played with, but I'm guessing that might impact Pitlick.

It's also why Paajarvi or Hartikainen might succeed more in Edmonton than they would elsewhere strictly due to linemates.

It could also hurt them, since if they were in Florida, they might get more chances on PP and such.

I'm guessing linemates and opportunity has to be part of the "unknown" aspect of predicting future.

#15 Jaw17
November 21 2012, 11:24AM

I don't think he'll be anything special but he could be part of a cheap but effective bottom six we're going to need if we plan on keeping all fab five plus a big second line center

#17 Archaeologuy
November 21 2012, 11:27AM

@Jason Gregor

How can Pitlick play with either Eberle or Yakupov? They play the same position.

#19 Moose
November 21 2012, 12:11PM

Conceptually, this is a great idea for a series, Jonathan. Great job. As you said, Pitlick is a tough one to lead with given the lack of comps. Keep 'em coming.

#20 Taylor Gang
November 21 2012, 12:25PM
B S wrote:

If you watched the pens in the playoffs last year you would have seen how good he is

#21 B S
November 21 2012, 12:54PM
Taylor Gang wrote:

I'm not saying he's a bad player and he complements his linemates in Pit well with his physical play, but its similar to playing with the Sedins: any competent (or barely so in some case) player can get 30 goals and 60 points on their line. My point was that his rise to elite status just happens to coincide with his trade to the Pens, not necessarily an increase in his own skill level.

And that playoff series was a joke (entertaining, but definitely absurd). I haven't seen goalies dive away from pucks like that since Al McInnis played, and then it was for good reason. Every player looked skilled in the Philly-Pit series, not just the top lines.

#22 @Oilanderp
November 21 2012, 03:19PM

Pitlick has the style of play that all the 'saw him good' crowd will point at and say 'Now that's a player'. I love watching Pitlick.

However, thanks are due to J.W. for supplying the information a fan can use to make their expectations more realistic. If I read your graph correctly (please correct me if I am wrong), then there is a 80% chance that Pitlick will play less than 250 NHL games in his lifetime.

Guys who have Pitlick pencilled in as Pisani for the next 10 years might want to re-check their thinking.

He MIGHT be Pisani, but he very probably won't.

#23 Aitch
November 21 2012, 04:50PM

I'm just hoping that he shows well enough that he can be used as trade bait to bring in a vet down the road when we need to fill a specific hole to finish off a playoff team. You know the type of trade...He can play the Ryan O'Marra role.

#24 commonfan14
November 21 2012, 05:15PM

I choose to take from this article that Pitlick will be as good as James Neal.

Awesome.

#25 Minister D-
November 21 2012, 05:27PM
commonfan14 wrote:

I choose to take from this article that Pitlick will be as good as James Neal.

Awesome.

I'm going to choose to take from this article, and Sillinger's comments, that Pitlick will be better than Colby Armstrong but not as good as Neal. I'm ok with that.

@ JW

It's an illuminating article, to be sure. I didn't intend to bring up the (very) tired debate between 'saw him good' people and the 'advanced stats' crew so much as preempt it,. Mostly I just wanted to relate a little "insider" knowledge that I stumbled across in my occasional travels across Saskatchewan watching senior hockey.