Worst to First Jerseys: The Edmonton Oilers

Jonathan Willis
November 22 2012 10:56AM

This installment of the Worst to First Jerseys features the Edmonton Oilers, and much thanks to Oilers Nation for letting me guest post on their blog. On my own blog, I talk about about graphic design in hockey and I'll be doing the rest of the league over time, so come by Hockey By Design to check it out.

By John van der Woude

The Oilers are the epitome are consistency in a league that tends to treat design like a revolving door: easy come, easy go. Aside from the Original 6 teams, only Philadelphia and St. Louis have kept essentially the same logo since the Oilers joined the league in 1979. (Pittsburgh, Buffalo and the NY Islanders have all gone back to their circa 1979 logos, but not before dabbling with other atrocities.) And the Oilers' jerseys have remained admirably consistent as well.

Here's how this works: I'll count down, from worst to first, all the jerseys the Oilers have ever worn. Homes and aways will be lumped into the same category (so, more of a jersey "era") and I won't worry about small changes (like slightly changed positions of piping for example). Third jerseys will stand on their own. And I'm focusing on the jerseys only, not the entire uniform. The jersey images are compliments of the fine people over at nhluniforms.com. For the Oilers, there's 4 different jerseys/eras. And we'll start with the worst one:

4. 2001–2007 Third Jerseys

I respect Todd McFarlane. I really do. He's an accomplished artist, cartoonist, writer and business person, achieving more than I probably ever well. But of all the things he is, one of them is not a graphic designer, and while his alternate logo that graced the Oilers' third jerseys is well-constructed, it's such a departure from the legacy of the Oilers that it's hard to not say it pales in comparison (I ranked the Oilers at #11 for the best team logos in the NHL, which you can read about here).

I know the legacy is built into this logo with the 5 gears representing the 5 Cups they've won, but you've basically got to re-design this logo whenever the team wins another Stanley Cup. To me, it says, "Well, we're not winning another one anytime soon, so we're safe to keep this logo going." The Islanders do a similar thing, but the integration is much simpler and subtle and not as integral to the overall design. This post, though, isn't about logos, but about jerseys and I have no idea how much input McFarlane had in the design of this one.

I've stated numerous times on my blog how difficult it can be to disconnect legacy and heritage from a cold analysis of the design of a logo or jersey, and this is one of those instances. In the mid-'80s, Glen Sather assembled what is arguably the best teams to have ever existed in the NHL, winning 5 Stanley Cups with 6 of the players from those teams sitting in the Hall of Fame. So, that logo, that jersey, that era, is almost holy. And this third jersey threw that all away.

That being said, outside of that context, these are not bad jerseys, and a valiant effort to forge a new identity for the Oilers that, at the point these jerseys were worn, were over a decade removed from those glory days. True, they had a run in 2006, but anybody except for the most delirious Edmonton homers who tell you that such a run was completely expected should be psychologically evaluated. If you ignore all history of the dynasty years, these jerseys are pretty solid but not without some things to complain about.

The best thing about this jersey is the simplicity and minimalism of it. The piping is simple but strong, complementing the jersey and the logo rather than overtaking it. I've always been a fan of including lacing at the collar, giving it a instant sense of history and legacy.

But the biggest complains about this jersey comes down to a pet peeve of mine, a blue so dark that it becomes almost black, which then begs the question, why even bother? The Oilers are by no means the only team guilty of this, with Buffalo, Columbus, Florida, St. Louis and Winnipeg all doing the same thing in this past season alone. I'm not against using a dark blue, but just lighten it up enough that it's obvious that it's a dark blue.

What the dark blue also does is also make these jerseys a combination of almost-black/grey/white, lacking in any sort of visual punch anywhere. I've never liked that on the LA Kings, and I don't like it here either, especially when you have such an awesome blank canvas like a white sheet of ice to work with. Colours work so great with hockey that it doesn't make sense to essentially not include any.

This is also the first and only time the Oilers played with using a font on their jerseys other than the angled-off block font that's a sports staple. I commend the effort in trying something different and wish more teams would play around with this, but it's a bit of a miss, looking more like a oddly squished Game of Thrones-esque font. Meh.

Jersey Recommendation: #83 Hemsky - A great player with lots of skill, but either because of injuries or other issues, has never really lived up to expectations. Kind of like McFarlane and this logo/jersey.  

3. 1996–2007 Home and Away Jerseys

As I mentioned earlier, there's a large amount of consistency with the Oilers' jerseys, so the rest of this post will be nit-picking about details. But, as they say, the devil is in the details. And I think Todd McFarlane would agree with me.

To be honest, I could rank the previous jersey as #2, and the rest as #1a, 1b and 1c as there's good and bad things about all of them, but nobody likes a tie game anymore.

This jersey represents what was the first re-branding in the Oilers' history in the NHL. And the re-branding was very slight. The royal blue became a darker midnight blue, the orange became copper and a little touch of red accent was added. Otherwise, everything remained almost exactly the same from the jerseys that preceded it. I think the copper was a great choice and works well with the name. I'm not sure how much copper has to do with oil drilling, but there's an industrial metaphor that works there. And it's a unique color within the design world of the NHL. But, you can probably guess by now how I feel about the midnight blue.

Like a badly-lit photograph, it's too dark. When on the ice, it's almost completely black and is not taking full advantage of the aesthetics of hockey. Like Charlie Brown, it needs to brighten up.

As for the red, I don't think its inclusion is totally necessary and I'm not crazy about its use on the numbers/name plates. It's not horrible, and works better on the dark blue jerseys because it's fairly subdued against the blue, but it's less successful on the white jerseys.

The piping along the bottom and sleeves on these jerseys are exactly the same as during the Oilers' dynasty days and are classic hockey jersey piping. Nothing wrong with a solid design that works like that. They're simple and off-set the logo just fine. Maybe they're a little bit too dominant on the jersey, and again, the additional red stripes on the copper stripe is totally unnecessary.

In the first year of these jerseys, that had additional blue shoulder yokes on the home jersey. Thankfully, that only lasted one season.

Jersey Recommendation: #94 Smyth - The heart and soul of the Oilers during these years, and the undisputed leader of the team during its 2006 Cup run.  

2. 2007-2011 Home and Away Jerseys, 2011-present Third Jerseys

For these jerseys, you can pretty much re-read what I wrote about the previous jersey regarding the colours, so I won't bother talking about that again in this section. To sum up: cooper = Great!, blue = Too dark!, red = Meh.

But the piping design of these jerseys is totally different from anything else the Oilers have had, the main reason for this being that they went for a re-design when the NHL introduced the Reebok Edge jerseys in 2007. At that point, some teams just kept the same design and made it work with the new shape, some teams took the opportunity to redeisgn their jerseys to complement the new shape, and some teams decided to radically change the traditional idea of hockey jersey piping and trace the new contours of the jersey with colour. The Oilers fell into that last category, and for the most part, they did so successfully.

A few teams went for the vertical piping from the base of the jersey to the collar, tracing a contour of the new jersey's design. I like the contemporary minimalism of it, like the hockey jersey suddenly got all refined and grownup - like the opposite of BizNasty. And it's much better than what the Oilers' hockey cousins to the south did with theirs, making it look like a barley-cooked spaghetti strand.

But the piping on the sleeves bug me. I don't mind the actual structure of the piping, with the thin white stripes and thicker copper stripe (but the red is still unnecessary), but I have no idea why they didn't just wrap it around the entire arm or why they gave it that wave-like thing, going thicker and thinner in different parts. That's a bit of a miss.

That being said, it's a great-looking, contemporary hockey jersey. Wear it with pride.

Jersey Recommendation: With the new era of Oilers hockey about to get going, you've got a whole list of people you put on this jersey. A #4 Hall? Yes. A #93 Nugent-Hopkins? Sure. A #14 Eberle? Why not. A #64 Yakupov? Go for it, but make sure that will be his actual number with the Oilers first. But since they're moving away from these jerseys (except as thirds), might be better to go for a #10 Horcoff?  

1. 1979-1996 Home and Away Jerseys, 2003 Heritage Classic Jersey, 2008-2011 Third Jerseys, 2011-present Home and Away Jerseys

Remember what I was saying earlier about separating legacy and history from the cold analysis of a design? Well, the difficulty of doing such a thing may have influenced the decision to place these at #1. But it's easy, as a fan of any hockey team, to see the intrinsic value of a jersey that raised not just 1 Stanley Cup in, but 5. These jerseys are pretty abrasive and even gaudy, but there's a reason the Oilers' organization keeps coming back to them: It's a symbol of success, and seeing all those #1 picks that the Oilers have gotten in recent years skating around in these jerseys makes you believe that success is again right around the corner.

And this royal blue is a hundred times better, because it actually looks like blue as opposed to light-blackish blue. It automatically makes the jersey bolder and more aggressive on the ice. The orange is, for those who know a little colour theory, the complementary colour to blue, so they highlight each other well. But too much of each colour, and they'll start competing against each other instead. In the case of these jerseys, they're well balanced though.

The piping is, like I said about the #3 ranked jersey, are solid classic hockey jersey piping. Unlike those jerseys though, it comes across as much more aggressive here because the orange (as opposed to the copper) stands out much more. That's good and bad, as the piping becomes pretty dominant on these jerseys (and like a a little gaudy) and could be pulled back just a little bit by either making the stripes slightly narrow, or have less of a gap between the stripes, or both. Primarily, you want the jersey to really compliment the logo, and it's starting to take over the logo a bit in this case.

Part of the problem too are the colour bars on the shoulders, which also compete with the logo. They're really unnecessary and could be removed, as they did with the 1996-2007 jerseys.

There's serious complementing (not complimenting) that needs to happen in a jersey, and this jersey has just enough of that. However, once you factor in the history and legacy attached to this jersey, it's just too much to not place (barely) in first place over all the previous jerseys.

Jersey Recommendation: You could put the names of the entire rosters from the '80s teams and the most current rosters and make an argument for getting a jersey with their name and number on it (well, almost everyone). Some of the most iconic players to ever play the game wore this jersey, as well as some serious upcoming superstars. Me? I'd rock out the #17 Kurri, in what was the home whites at the time.

Editor's note: John van der Woude previously wrote a similar piece at Flames Nation featuring Calgary's best and worst jerseys - JW.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#4 Harlie - a guy too scared to put my real name
November 24 2012, 09:54AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@NewAgeSys

None of those bums matter. Guys like Nikola Tesla or David Icke are far more interesting and in Tesla's case far more substantial to human history than any of the guys you ran through.

Hell there is a guy living on Vancouver Island that has broken down human perception and symbolism to life actually being just a big 3D holographic illusion. And I'm still trying to figure out if Bryan Kemila really is DSF or not.

Avatar
#5 Spydyr
November 22 2012, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

fist to say 2007-2011 HOME AND AWAY JERSEYS, 2011-PRESENT THIRD JERSEYS At number 2?.....they are like pjs?

yech

Avatar
#7 PrimeBane
November 22 2012, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Completely disagree... the EDGE jerseys are by far the worst. The bitching and moaning about those was pretty epic at the time.

The McFarlane was the best selling 3rd in NHL history at the time (may still be). This was an love it or hate it jersey where clearly most fans loved it.

Personally, I love the darker blue. I was a huge fan when the new style was revealed in 96. :)

Avatar
#8 mayorblaine
November 22 2012, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

the most recent year are hands down are by far the best. traditional and awesome.

2001-2007 third jerseys are horrific. thanks spawn!

Avatar
#9 Czar
November 22 2012, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I prefer the 1996-2007 home and away over the present day third jersey,Spydyr's right about the PJ comment.The Mcfarlane jersey is the only one I don't own but definately last on the list.The Canucks have had some ugly jerseys and how about the flaming horse in Calgary?

Avatar
#10 rubbertrout
November 22 2012, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
PrimeBane wrote:

Completely disagree... the EDGE jerseys are by far the worst. The bitching and moaning about those was pretty epic at the time.

The McFarlane was the best selling 3rd in NHL history at the time (may still be). This was an love it or hate it jersey where clearly most fans loved it.

Personally, I love the darker blue. I was a huge fan when the new style was revealed in 96. :)

I loved the darker blue too. The 1996-2007 are my personal faves. While I liked the retro one at the time, I'm not a big fan of them now.

Use something like that for a one off game on vintage night or something but I really don't like seeing them all the time.

I've always been kind of meh with the McFarlane jerseys however the laces around the collar are great.

Avatar
#11 Puritania
November 22 2012, 11:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Gotta disagree with this one. The '07-'11 practice jerseys are atrocious. My ranking is as follows.

4. Gross '07-'11 jerseys. 3. Neat '01-'07 thirds. 2. Retros jerseys. 1. '06 beauties.

I know I'm in the minority on liking the '06 over the retro/classic jerseys, but damn they were just incredible jerseys. I wish they still used them and had the retros as thirds.

Avatar
#12 Aitch
November 22 2012, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Flip #2 & #4 and you might have something. You do realize that those third jerseys were rated by NHL fans as the nicest of all third jerseys in the league a few years ago? They should still be the third jersey as far as I'm concerned. It only looks black if you have a crappy Television.

Avatar
#13 PaperDesigner
November 22 2012, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I say, screw the logo. It's terrible. Boring, unimaginative, and lauded because of its association with a team that is long since gone. The third jersey was much, much better, and frankly, if I had any say, I would have seen it outright replace the current jersey.

Frankly, I am sick of the organization's constant need to look back. There's an entire generation of fans about my age (I had yet to turn three when the Oilers won their last cup) who have no emotional connection with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Fuhr or Coffey. Our memories are of the 2006 run, or maybe the 1997 and 1998 first round upsets. All the talk of the glory years does is serve to remind those of us in our teens or twenties that we were born in the wrong decade.

The jerseys aren't interesting or good because they were associated with the 80s Oilers. This new generation of players is not, even if they succeed past everyone's expectations, a return to the glory years. The championship Oilers are dead, and I'm sick of this nostalgia over its fetid, rotting corpse. Those days are dead. If these Oilers come to prominence in the NHL, their comparable is the modern Blackhawks.

Frankly, I don't care anymore. I want to see good hockey in the here and now. That's it.

Rant over.

Avatar
#14 freeze
November 22 2012, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

2. 2007-2011 HOME AND AWAY JERSEYS, 2011-PRESENT THIRD JERSEYS

These jerseys would have been so much better if they had the arm band wrap all the way around.

I really like the current 'retro' jerseys.

Avatar
#15 Showerhead
November 22 2012, 12:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

An enjoyable read through and through but I have to be "that" guy - a couple times in there, you say 2005 cup run. It's 2006 you want! I'm not normally picky over typos but that one stuck out for me.

Avatar
#16 OilClog
November 22 2012, 12:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Katz should put an image of the Seattle arena as the logo for the upcoming season.

Avatar
#19 A-Mc
November 22 2012, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I play shinny with my 2007-2011 white jersey (love it), but the definite favorite is the blue Present/classic jersey.

I love the feeling of the 2007-2011 jerseys, the material is something totally different than the other jersey's I've owned. I'm not sure if the present day ones have the same material or not - but they likely do.

Also, i take pride in the fact that our logo is more or less the same... always. The cog/gear was stupid imo (even though i own one of those jerseys), i'm glad the original logo has been maintained.

Ugliest jersey EVER has to be that blue Pittsburgh one. My god, my eyes bleed every time i look at it!

Avatar
#20 David S
November 22 2012, 12:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

#1 definitely. I don't care about the retro aspect, they just plain look better. In contrast, those Reebok jerseys are a bloody design travesty and look like pajama tops. They should forever be stripped from the Oilers jersey lexicon. *spits*

Avatar
#21 David S
November 22 2012, 12:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Also, since we're reaching for stuff to discuss, how about Shawn Horcoff's salary? That one's a stinker.

#ArgumentsThatNeverEnd

Avatar
#22 Mojo
November 22 2012, 12:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

How in the hell could you put the reebok piping jerseys #2? Those were ugly practice jerseys, and the shortest lived style. It was the only uniform that looked silly without having full cresting on it.

There's a reason they got rid of it as soon as they could! I mean who else loves having vertical lines going through the captains As and Cs.

Avatar
#23 Prudham's
November 22 2012, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

What are your qualifications as a critic of graphic design?

Avatar
#25 Gerald R. Ford
November 22 2012, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I love the 96-07 copper and blues. They're the simplest, most elegant design, and just plain look good. The vintage blue and orange, I love for what it stands for, but it really looks garish and dated now, in my opinion. I don't hate them, but, boy, they haven't aged well, and I think it was a mistake to drag them back into service.

Avatar
#26 Walter Sobchak
November 22 2012, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Still Love the retro!

I think you are right when you mention that the jersey represents what was best and what can be soon.

Another note: I feel sorry for those who purchased their Yakupov jersey # 64 before the new CBA, I’m guessing he will be wearing # 10 after the new CBA comes in.

Avatar
#27 master of my domain
November 22 2012, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I could just imagine how long the canucks version of this article will be

Avatar
#28 Harlie
November 22 2012, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Meh, I always liked the McFarlane jersey's. Still do!

And who couldn't love the Velvet Tracksuit in this design?

http://www.newyorkrangers.cz/images/carter_oilers.jpg

A little inspiration..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiiW936jqw

Avatar
#29 Prudham's
November 22 2012, 01:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It says he's worked in the field for seven years. Ok that's fine.

I agree that backing up an argument is a fundamental, but it's not the only basis for a good argument. Some expert topics require expert input. If the article was about player psychology, it would be best served being written by a trained psychologist, or if it were about injuries it would be best from a qualified doctor. I've observed that contrary to the hard sciences, when it comes to the arts, everyone has an opinion that they they think is as good everyone else's. There's a belief that music and art are just like a hobby or something, and that's something that can reduce the perception of the work and training people put into it. I just like to bring this up as a perspective that's lacking in general.

I'm personally very interested in uniform and logo design, so these things are of interest.

Avatar
#30 Archaeologuy
November 22 2012, 02:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I like the Oil drop logo. The new RBK Away jerseys look like practice jerseys. They're too white and the Copper at the Elbow doesnt wrap around all the way. I've been looking at them for years and my Brain STILL cant overlook that problem. Sometimes you see something for so long that you become used to it, I havent yet. Can somebody just finish the Elbows? Dont change anything else, just fix the missing pattern.

Or if the NHL MUST have part of the pattern missing, could they change it so its the part of the Uniform that ISNT the most visible to the Viewer? If the Copper is on the inside portion of the sweater then why not start putting logos on the Armpits or the bottoms of the skates or other places that make equally less sense?

Avatar
#32 Snowdropper
November 22 2012, 03:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

Also, since we're reaching for stuff to discuss, how about Shawn Horcoff's salary? That one's a stinker.

#ArgumentsThatNeverEnd

I read that and for a moment thought we were in the middle of a regular hockey season...then I realized the lockout is still on

*sob*

I was always a fan of the 96-07 jerseys because of the copper aspect of the jerseys, but I still like the retro/classic ones the best. The colours combination at the time was pretty unique (Islanders not withstanding), and even today, it's a rare combination to see.

Avatar
#33 David S
November 22 2012, 04:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Snowdropper wrote:

I read that and for a moment thought we were in the middle of a regular hockey season...then I realized the lockout is still on

*sob*

I was always a fan of the 96-07 jerseys because of the copper aspect of the jerseys, but I still like the retro/classic ones the best. The colours combination at the time was pretty unique (Islanders not withstanding), and even today, it's a rare combination to see.

SUUUUUUUUUUCKER!!!

Muah-hahahaha!

[NOTE] God I miss NHL hockey. Next thing you know I'll be refreshing like a madman and battling for first-post honors with the "F!ST!" guys just to get some internet self-validation.

Avatar
#34 Thinker
November 22 2012, 05:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd probably go 1,4,3,2. I loves the gear jersey, but hated the practice jerseys they rocked starting in 08.

Avatar
#35 Andy
November 22 2012, 05:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I agree with the 07-11 jersey pyjama comments. Not only pyjamas, but star-trek pyjamas. They were a travesty in my opinion.

The 96-07 jerseys were pretty nice, but I found the blues too drab to be home jerseys. They were better suited to before the switch, because the whites had the contrast between the blue pants and white socks and etc.

The McFarlane jersey used to bother me, but a friend offered the idea that they looked like a team of superheroes out there, all dark and white and silver. Also, the colour was like they were covered in oil. For real. Oil is a subtle colour.

The current jerseys are the best, in my opinion. Every time I see them it is like watching the glory years all over. They may have brought them back too soon, though, as I would like to keep these jerseys for a championship hockey team, which they certainly weren't last year. I would have liked to keep the worst teams of Oilers history clad in those ridiculous star trek uniforms.

I've always wanted to see a rendition of the 1972 wha uniforms, with some alterations. I always liked the darker orange shoulders with blue numbering on the white jerseys. But the grotesque light orange numbering on the back would have to go. And not for every game, but every now and again.

Avatar
#36 Prudham's
November 22 2012, 06:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Jonathan Willis

Yes indeed. It's an interesting debate. There is a difference between factual and intangible types of inquiry. And the two have to be interpreted differently. But there is an aspect of art - it could be called formalism, which is learnable, and I think it doesn't get acknowledged enough. I would never deny anyone their opinion, but the training and experience of people in the plastic arts makes them as knowledgeable about art and design as the training of other professionals makes them qualified to do what they do. The type of information is of course somewhat different but no less hard-won or deep in content. For example, I could (and do) give formal arguments as to why certain logos are successful and others are not. These explanations can be very detailed. For these reasons, I think you can draw a distinction between a fan passing an opinion about liking a design (which is all good), and really knowing it inside out and writing long essays about it. If you say it's all equal (which I'm not saying you are), then it's a pretty relativistic argument, that denies that there are people that really know their stuff or are at least good at it and have shown ability through concrete practice.

Avatar
#37 Hemmertime
November 22 2012, 06:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

McFarlane jersey is nice. Naming the most hated jersey #2? Even the ugly 70s ones arent hated as much as that one. Ballsy

Avatar
#38 Smokey
November 22 2012, 06:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I wish they would bring back the McFarlane 3rds or the original Alberta Oilers WHA jerseys for the thirds. Alternate them from season to season.

Avatar
#40 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 22 2012, 07:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I always liked the MacFarlane 3rds. Glad they're back to the dynasty colors though, I love how garish the colors are.

Avatar
#41 Ten K
November 22 2012, 07:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

At the time they were introduced, the Copper and Blue jerseys made a lot of sense to me; the copper drop in the logo glimmered in the light and the red seemed to bleed into the copper producing a shiny orange effect. I think it was a brilliant design that stayed true to the Oilers heritage. That being said, when the retro blue and orange jersey was re-introduced, I couldn't help but smile when watching them on the ice; they are brighter, more colorful, and hold so many great memories. History is repeating.the Oil will rise again!

Avatar
#42 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 22 2012, 07:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not at all reflective of the correct order. This is just another effort from an obvious out of touch outsider.

Avatar
#43 NewAgeSys
November 22 2012, 08:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Prudham's.

I agree with you 100% on all counts.Just say that there is an artisticly catalysed SYSTEM that you would love to teach J.Willis or his likeminded cohort Staples and they will go into a catatonic state like a shark goes into when you turn them upside down and tickle their fishy bellys.They are great at overstating the tangible obvious things,professionals in fact--they have their niche.

Forgive them they are SYSTEM incontinent,they get all plugged up just hearing the word SYSTEM,ha ha ha.

Stick to tangibles and they will tag along.Use anything that remotely resembles an intangible and you threaten their statistic based mentality and livelyhood,without stats and 100% tangibles they would be lost.

I happen to think that every detail of every thing is important,no detail is to small to matter when you are being professional.

I like the Jersey Wayne Gretzky is wearing the best because it strikes fear into the hearts of millions.It is like excaliber,the people of Edmonton lost their faith the colors--the colors never lost power or their shine.

Once you are a winner ,history cannot be rewound and altered,that is a CHAMPIONSHIP jersey you see Gretzky wearing and MANY MEN bled many red spots onto the ice to give this franchise the right to celebrate those colors and the players of even today have a right to don them and proudly wear them into battle because of the sacrifices of those before them..

We will be denied championship glory for as long as this team ignores its history and the intangible power the Dynasty team created and weilded.

A lot of hard work and professional acumen was put into each and every type of Jersey the Oilers have ever worn,of that there is no doubt at all and I appreciate all who contributed.

But deep down in my Oilers heart I have nothing but worship to offer the Jersey Wayne is wearing.I think we should change back to it immediatly and reclaim our history,we earned it with blood sweat tears,and Stanley Cups in another era,lets never forget that.Lets respect our history and pay tribute to it by rekindling it ASAP.

Nice piece J.Willis,it is always nice to be reaquainted with our Oilers history,and also to get a feel for where our future might take us.Really at the end of the day you discussed an excellent example of a championship intangible,good on ya.

I think that the design of the jersey has tactical value that is intangible and we ought to bring the one Wayne was wearing in your photo back to life.

Avatar
#44 NewAgeSys
November 22 2012, 08:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Seeing as J.W started in the past ,I thought I would as well,ha ha ha ha.

The Oilers brought the traditional colors back at the perfect time,I love seeing that look and just like mini-skirts and plaid pants if you wait long enough and dont croak--everything comes back sooner or later.

If it aint broke--dont fix it,that Dynasty team didnt break it was sold and those colors belong on the backs of todays Oilers.

Avatar
#45 DSF
November 22 2012, 09:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
NewAgeSys wrote:

@Prudham's.

I agree with you 100% on all counts.Just say that there is an artisticly catalysed SYSTEM that you would love to teach J.Willis or his likeminded cohort Staples and they will go into a catatonic state like a shark goes into when you turn them upside down and tickle their fishy bellys.They are great at overstating the tangible obvious things,professionals in fact--they have their niche.

Forgive them they are SYSTEM incontinent,they get all plugged up just hearing the word SYSTEM,ha ha ha.

Stick to tangibles and they will tag along.Use anything that remotely resembles an intangible and you threaten their statistic based mentality and livelyhood,without stats and 100% tangibles they would be lost.

I happen to think that every detail of every thing is important,no detail is to small to matter when you are being professional.

I like the Jersey Wayne Gretzky is wearing the best because it strikes fear into the hearts of millions.It is like excaliber,the people of Edmonton lost their faith the colors--the colors never lost power or their shine.

Once you are a winner ,history cannot be rewound and altered,that is a CHAMPIONSHIP jersey you see Gretzky wearing and MANY MEN bled many red spots onto the ice to give this franchise the right to celebrate those colors and the players of even today have a right to don them and proudly wear them into battle because of the sacrifices of those before them..

We will be denied championship glory for as long as this team ignores its history and the intangible power the Dynasty team created and weilded.

A lot of hard work and professional acumen was put into each and every type of Jersey the Oilers have ever worn,of that there is no doubt at all and I appreciate all who contributed.

But deep down in my Oilers heart I have nothing but worship to offer the Jersey Wayne is wearing.I think we should change back to it immediatly and reclaim our history,we earned it with blood sweat tears,and Stanley Cups in another era,lets never forget that.Lets respect our history and pay tribute to it by rekindling it ASAP.

Nice piece J.Willis,it is always nice to be reaquainted with our Oilers history,and also to get a feel for where our future might take us.Really at the end of the day you discussed an excellent example of a championship intangible,good on ya.

I think that the design of the jersey has tactical value that is intangible and we ought to bring the one Wayne was wearing in your photo back to life.

I would be very interested in your take on Chaos Theory and how it relates to SYSTEMS.

Don't hurt yourself.

Avatar
#46 NewAgeSys
November 23 2012, 02:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

I would be very interested in your take on Chaos Theory and how it relates to SYSTEMS.

Don't hurt yourself.

DSF ,I am somehow surprised you even know what the Chaos Theory is .Hell you read my post so you now have the traditional Chaos Theory and the correct version-mine the NHS to compare,the NHS ,the naturalistic version that isnt based on incorrect mathamatics or "statistics"--the ergodic theory was the core value we were spoonfed by the PTB to quantify the Chaos Theory, this is the danger of succumbing to peer pressure The physics based analysis was all catalysed by incorrect mathamatics.The three body question was really a dimensional equation that couldnt be solved with artificially manipulated non-natural mathamatics it needed a time/space quotient and still does,the turbulence astonomical processions and the engineering questions were also all pursued using the wrong tools.To keep it clear for you ,the mathamatics were wrong. Google Wilbur Smith he is a very important Canadian you probably dont even know about,just do it and learn--maybe it will save me some typing if you get your gear on straight.

The funny thing is that I am not sure if you intentionally hit the mark or if your witt and wile took you there by mistake.

The Chaos Theory is not only considered in terms of traditional mathamatics,in fact it was and is essentially an observation of very natural science --made by people who had only flawed tools to work with in their analysis of that naturally occuring poetry.

There is this funny little thing called the magnetic revolution happening all around you--I figured maybe you would be noticing by now.Google Keshe Foundation,Searl,David Hamel another Canadian, John Hutchison yet another Canadian, there is a lot of data available that will help you learn and catch up to world events.And marten up a little without hurting YOURself,ha ha ha ha.Grasshopper.

Mathamatics of the MAINSTREAM peer-driven variety was the only conduit for people to try to quantify the natural interactions they were witnessing ,documenting and recording,naturally their explanations and rationalisations would be based on the most popular perspective.However now that time anomalies are being produced under controlled environments and neutral dimension based understandings of physics are coming out of the closet,people like yourself who seem to be traditionally schooled are pretty much screwed,you swing around your steak knife traditional intellect in the face of the machete of new natural science,its a losing game man,educate yourself to current events.

Mathamatics and physics are being rewritten as we waste breath.And buddy the Chaos Theory is falling right in line with every aspect of the NewAge Hockey System ,in fact by the same application of natural science principals it is quite easy to understand--the same dynamic natural principals which will soon be accepted by mainstream science to better quantify the Chaos Theory and it wont be called a theory anymore,are the core values that make the NHS superior to any hockey system ever created.I explain how Gretzky manifested the Chaos Theory on the ice via the NewAge Hockey System and modern cutting edge natural science is resolving the Chaos Theory the same groundbreaking way way.

I dont expect you to fully grasp this all at once,take the hit feel the sting,find a corner to sit down in and recover then come try to take another bite of me.Dont hurt yourself.

For anyone reading this who isnt familiar with the Chaos Theory just google it,and read it,the dynamic references will fit a lot of the things we all see in hockey games and in any competative dynamic.Just think moving bodies in space are players,and the universe is the ice surface things will fit if you take your time and keep your mind open--its really peanuts--clowns try to make it seem complicated but it just aint.In fact if you arent thinking in any mathamatical terms at all it is even easier to understand,now you see why it is so stupid to rely on statistics for much at all when discussing anything about hockey,blatently stupid and decieving,intentionally decieving you rats. I know this knocks the wind out of the sails of a lot of people but so what ,people used to think the World was flat.I have been saying t for years when sharing my NHS,wake up and smell the coffee because the NHS produces winning results nearly every time,and you can only supress them for a short time.

Traditional mathamatics is to the Chaos Theory what Statistical considerations are to the NewAgeSys Game of hockey--they pluck it up royally.They are a lie,a peer-pressure catalysed application of the wrong tools.

Did you get any of that DSF?

I am actually pretty sure you do,why not jump on board the NHS train man ,it has already won one Cup last year and will win more,in fact the NHL will not be the same.Change does happen you know --so you must also know you NEVER see it coming or it simply wouldnt happen ,would it??

Dont feel bad there are thousands of scientists and physicists and astronomers and the like pulling their feet out of their own arses as we speak,same with a lot of hockey people exposed to the NHS philosophys of competative domination based on natural science and dynamic interaction.And remember the 80s Oilers PP,Wayne was a genius,a natural if you will.No book there boys and girls he created things on the fly.And so do I.Ha ha ha ha.

Now that was fun,really really fun.

Little do you know just how dependant on Systems the Chaos Theory really is,identifiable,newly quantifiable ,scientificlly validated SYSTEMS,all working in a natural state of symbiosis ,within time ,space and light and magnetics.

Actually thanks ,how else could I have ever brought this up here??Ever hear of a guy called Pimsleur??He uses the exact same "Chaos Theory"/NHS/Pimsleur method SYSTEM to teach you to speak another language functionally in about two weeks.

Xie'xie',Mr.Pimsleur, for your genius and free internet courses.I was however already there in Hockey perspective.

And DSF thank you,I was aware of the Chaos Theory but considered it bunk and still do because of the mathamatical baseline used to introduce it to us all,that is until the new natural science rediscoveries we are now integrating become mainstream,I thank you because I hadnt noticed the similaritys in form and function yet between the Chaos Theory /NHS/Pimsleur method of teaching,because you see I unknowingly used a combonation of Chaos Theory and the Pimsleur method in the manifestation of the NewAge Hockey System --you just made it much easier for me to find ways to indoctrinate people to the NHS.Outstanding.

Avatar
#47 Cheap Shot Charlie
November 23 2012, 03:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd agree with some posters that the 2007 jersey looked like a practice jersey. I missed the official unveil of the jersey at the Joey Moss cup and then saw the teams skating in the jersey. I asked a neighbour when they were going to unveil the "new" jersey and he said that they were wearing them. I just think they could have done a lot more with a full arm band and some colour under the armpit area.

I think Buffalo had a good idea with their "electic slug" jerseys that year but had a bad emblem.

Avatar
#48 EasyOil
November 23 2012, 06:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@NewAgeSys

Riiiiiiiight...

Avatar
#49 JSR
November 23 2012, 06:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

i'm not a fan of the new jerseys. Back in the '90s, I didn't like it when they switched to the dark blue ones, thinking there was too much history in them to switch. Then, the dark ones started to grow on me. I''d have to rank them as #2, right behind the RBK Edge jerseys. Going back to the new retro jersey doesn't sit well with me. It's funny how opinions change over time!

Avatar
#50 NewAgeSys
November 23 2012, 09:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
EasyOil wrote:

Riiiiiiiight...

@ EasyOil.

Thats right ,youve got it,nice and easy now ,once more nice and slowww--once again, NewAgeSys is Riiiiiight...

Did you have an ancester who possiblly looked up at a specific time in history when they were told the world was round not flat and said--Riiiiiiight....ha ha ha ha ,because history has a way of repeating itself---but you must know that after having studied up on the Chaos Theory right??

Come on how many times do you hear references to somethig so accurate and so absolutely descriptive--the Chaos Theory in reference to the NHS or sports systems in general.In fact if you research this is the FIRST TIME the Chaos Theory has been applied to a professional sport,the NewAge Hockey System is cutting edge ,it is groundbreaking--do you understand that,it has never been seen before.Possibly this is why so many have a hard time understanding it,it all looks like old data to them because it actually is re-arranged old data just based on a new philosophy.

You have got to love it man,just imagine walking into a room full of NHL players and trying to describe the Chaos Theory to everyone "without" the NewAge Hockey System as a data baseline???Now THAT is called fun. Use the NHS and they might advance the thoery right there in the room.

Comments are closed for this article.