MONTH OF GIVING

Jason Gregor
December 03 2012 09:41AM

It would be great to receive a boat load of cash for Christmas, and who knows maybe tomorrow's meeting with six owners and a group players will give you NHL hockey for Xmas. As great as it would be to receive that stack of cash, we get much more satisfaction out of giving, especially to those in need.

I'll get to the giving part in a few paragraphs.

QUICK HITS

• I'm hearing from a few sources that it isn't 100% guaranteed that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will play for Canada at the World Junior Championships. The results from his MRI on his shoulder will play a major role, but there are some close to RNH who aren't sold that a trip to Russia is the best idea. I wonder if he is feeling any pressure from Hockey Canada. Of course no one would ever admit it, but don't fool yourself the Canadian brass wants to win, and they love to take the gold away from the Russians on their home turf. I suspect he'll go if MRI is fine, but it isn't unanimous amongst his inner circle that going to the WJC is a great move for.

• It helps Canada more if RNH is there, but I don't see how it helps him as much. The stands won't be jammed every game like they are in Canada. Playing on the big ice against inferior players isn't a great combination either. I'm not sure the under-20 tourney has that much more positive impact on a player than the under-18 championships, especially when played outside of Canada.
  • The owners that will take part in Tuesday's meeting are Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, Ronald Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Jeffery Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets and Murray Edwards of the Calgary Flames. Interesting, but not surprising, to see only one owner from the west represented. I know Winnipeg will likely end up in the west in the near future, but it's just another sign that the league likes to cater to the eastern conference.

• It would be ideal if they had a player from those six teams but I doubt that will be the case. It would be great to see a Boston Bruins player sit across from Jacobs and then see if he still believes Gary Bettman is the one ruining their game.

• Many keep wondering why Taylor Hall hasn't been given a shot to play centre in OKC. Hall told me in the spring that he'd be open to the idea, but only if he could start training camp at centre. He wanted an opportunity to practice and get used to a new position which makes a lot of sense. Switching from wing to centre is not as easy as many suggest, and unless they are committed to him doing it for at least two months, I don't see the point in it. I think long-term Hall is a better fit on the wing.

MONTH OF GIVING

Last year I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to try and help others at Christmas. It ended up being a bit hectic, but we were able to raise over $55,000 for the Christmas Bureau, Santas Anonymous, Operation Friendship Senior Society and the Victory Christmas Dinner. It was a lot of fun, and I was amazed by the generosity of my listeners.

So this year I'm much more organized and we will be starting MONTH OF GIVING today. Every weekday from today thru to Friday December 21st we will be auctioning off a package on my show with all the proceeds going to these four charities.

We will have a new package every day, and the will all have a connection to entertainment, sports and socializing. We will have concert tickets for a year, sports memorabilia, signed jerseys, golf packages, wine packages, jewelry,  training sessions for you kids, dinners and more.

PACKAGE #1

A suite for ten at the Edmonton Oil Kings game on Saturday, December 15th. The suite is on the main concourse situated at the blueline. You will have great sightlines.

• Includes four parking passes very close to the Gretzky statue, so you won't have to walk far.
  • All the pizzza you want. You can pre-order what kind you would like to eat.
  • a $200 bar tab.

A Big thank you to the gang at  Crystal Glass for donating the suite and adding in the extras, and massive advance thank you to all of you who will make generous bids in the next three weeks.

Bidding goes from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. You can call 1.800.243.1945 or 780.426.8326 to bid.

** I'm still looking for two great auction items, so if anyone has something they'd like to donate you can email gregor@theteam1260.com.**

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Eulers
December 03 2012, 09:53AM

Always impressed with your good works for charity, Gregor.

I think the World Juniors will be a great experience for RNH: carrying a team through very meaningful games. The WJs are an important tourney in a player's career and this is an incredible opportunity for RNH to right the wrong, which was holding him off the team 2 years ago.

#2 Pilgor09
December 03 2012, 11:20AM

Let the kid have a blast down there. Its like Dicky Roberts, he grew up too fast and missed out on the finer things in life! Yes I compared Rnh to a fictional movie. Want to fight about it?

#3 Rocknrolla
December 03 2012, 01:33PM

RNH has never won anything....he needs to get experience at winning and leading. Here is that shot. Hall and Ebs both have that winning experience and they crave it. We need RNH on that page too.

#4 The Soup Fascist
December 03 2012, 06:10PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

Did you hear the one about the criminal who accidentally put his beast of burden in a glass-blowing oven thinking it was a tanning machine? Upon his discovery he scrambled to save his ox but somehow fell into the oven himself.

The glass company kept the product anyway, since it was made of silly con die oxhide.

#chemistryjokes

Four words I never thought I would utter ....

God, I miss Principe. ;)

#5 Muji
December 03 2012, 11:00AM

I think RNH should go because it will be a FUN and MEMORABLE experience. Might not be beneficial for his skills development, but does it really matter? It's not like the tournament is very long.

I'd argue that it would be good for his personal development, especially if they end up winning.

#6 T__Bone88
December 03 2012, 10:35AM

I was on the fence on whether it would be a good idea for him to go but really it does come down to his decision. Even though he is playing against "inferior" players, a lot of them will make the NHL as opposed to the majority of players in the AHL. It will be a good test to see if he leads team Canada because it would be almost certain he is given a letter on the jersey and will be looked upon as the best player on the team. This will be a first where I'd be cheering for Canada and Russia for the sole purpose of a RNH vs Yakupov final.

#8 etownman
December 03 2012, 12:41PM

I think wherever Hall plays he is going to be successful, but I personally think center ice is a better position for him. Less chance of head hunting by d-men & plays all 4 corners on the ice very good with his speed & tenacity!

#9 Jprime
December 03 2012, 01:17PM

@etownman

Not so sure about the point being made that the center ice lessens the chance of head hunting by d-men.

I'd say you see most big hits/head hunt hits come from when players go up the middle of the ice.

#10 Oilfan69
December 03 2012, 01:28PM

sweet jebus where's wayne..

I saw this and thought that wayne needed to see this :)

#11 Walter Sobchak
December 03 2012, 03:11PM

Keep up the incredible work Gregor! I will be donating at some point this month.

I hope RNH goes, it's a once in a life time opportunity and I'm sure one hell of an experience.

It will be a lot of fun for us Oilers fans watching Yakupov and RNH going head to head.

#12 Wanye
December 03 2012, 03:21PM

Great work with the month of giving JG you are a fine fellow indeed. If that "give Jordan Eberle a back rub" package materializes I am first in line to bid btw.

#13 rubbertrout
December 03 2012, 03:28PM

How does Reuben feel about the competition getting the love on ON? I know it is all for charity but aren't the Crystal Glass guys his nemesis now?

#14 @Oilanderp
December 03 2012, 05:06PM

A suite for 10 is fine but what about the wife?

Maybe there are some single tickets available too.

#15 @Oilanderp
December 03 2012, 05:11PM

@rubbertrout

Those Crystal Glass guys aren't fooling anyone, I can see right through their handiwork.

*adjusts his bowtie*

#16 @Oilanderp
December 03 2012, 05:27PM

#chemistryjokes

#17 Robin Brownlee
December 03 2012, 05:39PM
rubbertrout wrote:

You're kidding right?

Good for Crystal Glass for getting involved. They've been tremendous corporate citizens as it pertains to contributing to charity in this town for many, many years.

#18 Oiler Al
December 03 2012, 05:43PM

Maybe I am bit of a purest, but there is something to be said about NHL players who have played in the league beyond the ten games, and then show up for Junior duty. RNH is an NHL veteran. [ even though he can't grow a beard].should not be playing in the Juniors.I love the tournament and like to see Canada win, but he has more to gain by staying in OKC>

Hall to Center,,, how about Paajarvi... big, skates, strong defensively, likes corners and behind the net... decent passer [ can'tshoot' Would he not be a good convert to center? Probably can't do face off, but neither can most of the team.

#19 Fresh Mess
December 03 2012, 06:42PM

I thought Hall looked very good at centre when Renney tried him there briefly. I see him evolving there eventually.

#20 Rama Lama
December 03 2012, 07:07PM

Hall at centre is confounding. He is a north/south kind of guy who like to drive to the net.......in other words playing and learning the centre position in the NHL is a bad idea.

How about we trade for a legitimate centre who can compliment Hall and Yaks instead? Or we could trade some of our prospects and draft one? That would require a creative GM with large kahonies,......last time I checked we do not have one of those.

#21 @Oilanderp
December 03 2012, 07:55PM

@LeeBrown

Been a while!

#22 DSF
December 03 2012, 08:21PM

Just a thought Jason.

Being out of town, bidding by phone is difficult.

Would like to help out if you could create a way to do so on line.

#23 @Oilanderp
December 03 2012, 08:23PM
Rama Lama wrote:

Yeah I don't understand the big push to put Hall at centre. What, do we have too many elite LWers or something? On the plus side, Hall could probably play D and still take draws with that 12 ft stick of his....

Trade for a centre to compliment Hall and Yak? Umm, like Gagner?

I'm actually glad Tambi hasn't made any big moves. It has allowed us to quietly accumulate top talent (albeit by paying for it in pain). The worst thing he might have done was something Burkian and give away our picks.

Like him or not, he was the right man for the job. Whether he is or not going forward remains to be seen.

#24 Rama Lama
December 03 2012, 08:25PM

K this is just getting silly. Let it go, Robin.

#25 Oiler Al
December 03 2012, 08:26PM

WTF is going on here?

#26 Robin Brownlee
December 03 2012, 08:27PM

Nope. No chance. How about if Lee Brown lets it go? Let's try that.

#27 Kent Wilson
December 03 2012, 08:29PM

We're going to have to shut down comments on this post for awhile folks.

To the individual spamming the comment section with a recurring comment, I would ask you email me (kent.wilson@gmail.com) about your issue rather than make everyone's time here miserable.