SOME SERIOUS BS WITH SMYTH

Wanye
March 12 2012 01:05PM

 

Every now and again your ol' pal Wanye will stumble on information while standing in line at the bottle depot. It doesn't happen often and we don't make stuff up the rest of the time like other fake named internet bloggers.* So you can trust us when we say that the Oil are jerking around Ryan Smyth and that it is another example of how the organization is effing up in so many ways.

We recently had a conversation with someone connected to the Smyth camp. And when we say had a conversation it was the farthest thing from pretending to be some puffed up Media wannabe. No we came across as a tearful Oiler fan happy to be talking to someone who knows the scoop with Smytty.

This is the second time we have had a chat with this cat. The last time ol' #94 was still an LA King. At the time we drunkenly pleaded “Smytty needs to come home. He is probably peeling from the Sun down in LA and we miss him so much” before dissolving into tears and needing to be led away.

As we were being dragged from the conversation, this person lifted our spirits to the moon when they called out “that isn’t the craziest thing you’ve ever said. He does want to return to Edmonton, not because he doesn’t like LA but because he wants to come home for the rest of his career.”

ONE YEAR LATER

Almost a year to the day we ran into them again and gushed about how happy we were that ol’ Smytty was back where he belonged in Oil City. “An then he scored all them goals and he looked so happy and then the NUUUUUUUGE was happy and Eberle already has 30 goals an then Taylor Head got his coconut stomped on an we were all so sad an then -” began our “interview.”

“You know,” the person replied good humouredly, “it’s great how happy you are to have Ryan back in the fold. He is thrilled too and honestly can’t believe the reception Oilers fans have given him. It is killing him how contract talks are going and that he doesn’t have an offer yet from the Oilers.”

INSERT OUR STUNNED SILENCE HERE

Doesn’t have an offer? How is this possible we wondered – ostensibly in our head but infact aloud continuing the most painful conversation this poor person has probably had in months. “Well when he was considering leaving LA the Flames came to the table to make a serious pitch for him. He certainly didn’t ever think too hard about going to Calgary (insert our relieved face here) and then Katz phoned him personally and said that if he came back to Edmonton it would be for the rest of his career.”

“Then at the deadline he had heard rumours the Oilers were listening to offers for him. It didn’t go very far but that plus the fact they haven’t made him an offer even though the season is winding down is upsetting for him. He just wants some stability and to stay in Edmonton for the rest of his career. It’s too bad really.”

TOO BAD DOESN'T BEGIN TO CAPTURE IT

First of all Ryan Smyth is a Saint and the best Oiler in the past 20 years hands down. Guys with his heart, devotion to the team and long term output come along once in a blue moon. His shoddy treatment by this organization disgraces us all.

We would rather the entire brass, coaching staff and front office be summarily fired and shipped out of country than for Ryan Smyth to have another moment of his unhappiness on their account.

This organization doesn't deserve Ryan Smyth and it seems convinced to prove this time and time again. Think a world class outfit like Detroit would treat it's Ryan Smyth like this? Right.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

What about all the talk we saw on the TSN that said they were in talks with Smyth? How does a franchise that has serious issues inspiring loyalty among players, a franchise with a reputation for alienating NHLers and a franchise who has already boggled the ball with Smyth once allow these things to go into the eleventh hour?

This reminds us of the BS between the Oilers and Hemsky as was reported so well by Jason Gregor a few weeks back:

 “The trade deadline is 24 days away, and so far Ales Hemsky hasn't heard anything from the Oilers regarding his future with or without the team. How is this possible? Does Steve Tambellini believe that top-six forwards grow on trees, and that it will be easy to replace Hemsky?”

“It is ridiculous that the Oilers haven't approached him with anything significant to see if he'd be willing to re-sign. Maybe they will have differing opinions on terms of a new deal, but if the Oilers don't at least approach him and his agent then they have failed big-time in trying to ensure that this team becomes competitive.”

YOU KNOW

For an organization that has made some puzzling signings in the past 24 months – Barker and the three year contracts for Belanger and Eager spring to mind – how is it that the Oilers leave cornerstone contracts like Hemsky and Smyth contracts until the 11th hour?

This front office is something else. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the slow painful climb out of the league basement does it? We can't wait until this abrasive group are focusing their attention on re-signing Hall, Eberle and our precious Nuge.

SIGN SMYTTY FOR HEAVEN’S SAKES TAMBO. WE KNOW YOU READ THIS**

*Confirmed E5

** He doesn’t.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Email me at wanyegretz@gmail.com or tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes.
Avatar
#51 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Yes, just like how Hemsky "didn't have an offer" and was 100 per cent going to be traded?

Smyth, although beloved, has made his own bed here. He asked for a trade back to the city, and now he's complaining that there's no offer? The guy has put himself in a position where he has ZERO bargaining power. I'm sure that once he gets around to it (after y'know, fixing everything else) ol' Tambellini in his infinite wisdom will get around to #94.

In the meantime, sit tight Smytty. I'm sure you've got a couple bucks in the bank to get you by.

Avatar
#52 friday the FISTeenth
March 12 2012, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

If smyttys brain is as humangous big as @Shorcov says they should pay him 58 million dollars per game

Avatar
#53 magisterrex
March 12 2012, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

More likely fallout from the lack of a contract for Tambellini. I doubt if the current GM is doing the contract signings right now. More likely Ricky O. is the Main Contract Man.

Avatar
#54 Elaine
March 12 2012, 01:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

No wonder other players don't want to come to Edmonton. If they treat their veteran players who have given so much to the team like a piece of spoiled meat. Smyth is still a valuable asset. Surely they can at least get into convesations and let him know what they are planning. The Oilers management really need to show everyone a lot more class.

Avatar
#55 neojanus
March 12 2012, 01:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Get the Edmonton Journal to stick it in the paper and get some public fury -- force a comment from Tambellini and then see if he buries himself with it.

If you are being honest here, this organization is seriously classless.

The guy WANTS to be here, still provides some great hockey, and is an amazing mentor in terms of committed hard work.

He's not the Smyth he was, but good god, look at his numbers compared to the majority of the team. The guy is still worth a contract and some priority here.

Avatar
#56 gord962
March 12 2012, 01:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Poor communication is bad management practice. Running a company and keeping everyone in the dark is the best way to end up with the lights turned out permanently. WAKE UP OILERS MANAGEMENT!

Avatar
#57 Smyth94ever
March 12 2012, 01:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

FML you Oiler management bastards...again!! That is all.

Avatar
#58 JB
March 12 2012, 01:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The resident GM is a crappy communicator. Just ask Pat Quinn, Ales Hemsky or Sheldon Souray. As long as he is around, this club will continue to be bush league.

Avatar
#59 LoDog
March 12 2012, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Oh Wanye. Why should there be a rush to sign Smyth? He needs to take a Bertuzi type deal, he is not that important.

If "dithers" did as you and some others here would like we would have traded a second round pick and an actual player for Smyth, not the seventh rounder and Fraser. And Hemsky would be signed to a 5 year 5.5 million deal.

Not the actual deals, you know the ones that the Oilers didn't get burned and are left with options in the future.

Avatar
#60 Quicksilver ballet
March 12 2012, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The pace of the game today has revealed that Smytty does have trouble keeping up with the pace at times. Not sure he's a fit at all on Hopkins left side when needed. I love Smytty as much as the rest of you guys but he does have to be prepared to accept a smaller role on this club now. Will he be satisfied with 3rd or 4th line minutes in the next year or so?

This has to be a fit for both parties going into next season. Will Ryan Smyth be satisfied with a smaller role in Edmonton, along with a 2.5'ish per yr salary. That's a significant drop from the 6.2 cap hit this season. There's bound to be trouble on this Smyth front again if he's wanting somewhere in that 3.5-4 per yr range.

Avatar
#61 The Farmer
March 12 2012, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Wanye

Hey Wanye I have a Smyth jersey, I hope he retires here. I just get the feeling that this is how the organization feels. As far as getting slapped, tonight is my last game before I'm married to calving season, so I might need a little human physical contact ;)

Avatar
#62 Archaeologuy
March 12 2012, 01:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

See this is the kind of comment I can get behind. I'll see you at the angry mob, I'll be wearing the Eberle 1 piece PJs.

I just want to let you know that if things get out of control with the mob, I will steal those PJs from you.

Avatar
#64 Quiet Riot
March 12 2012, 01:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Smyth needs to be signed to a reasonable amount for 2 years max. Love the guy:)

Avatar
#65 Cape Breton Oilers
March 12 2012, 01:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Only positive thing I can see/comment on is that sweeet jersey ....

Avatar
#66 Szach
March 12 2012, 01:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Just thinking loud - wasn't TSN reporting a month back that Tambo is to sign an extension - looks in jeopardy at this point - the coach doesn't play his newly acquired defender too much. Seems like internal politics are being played out and I don't believe anything will happen until the season is over.... Everything will be left to the new/old GM whenever that happens. GM signing first, 94 second.

Avatar
#67 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 01:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

Have you read anything from him that looks like complaining in the media? I found this out on my own.

Give your head a shake.

You found this out on your own how? You talked to someone connected to Smyth? Isn't that how most complaints are found out, save for the Souray-type scenarios? Like I said, I'm sure they'll get around to Smyth, but his current situation is of his own doing.

Avatar
#68 The Towel Boy
March 12 2012, 01:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

THIS IS HORSE PATOOTIE AND I DON'T MY YELLING IT WHILE I SAY IT.

Avatar
#69 MAC962
March 12 2012, 01:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

First of All, lets not put Ryan in the same class as Hemsky. Ryan is what being an Oiler is all about. Ales is here but he is not what i picture being an Oiler is all about.

Second, yeah Smyth has slowed down, thats mother nature. I am sure he would accept 3rd line minutes from this team in order to stay here, he will do what ever the team wants him to do..Why ? Because he is a winner- first class.

If this is all true and the club is so typically of late pissing around with him shame on them. He deserves better, and maybe not the big bucks career ending contract but he deserves respect. I am sure this is not about coin for Ryan, damn i wish i had his financial problems.

Steve and Kevin, you disgust me, you are not winners. You guys are really f--king up this franchise. The only reason we have hope is because you have sucked so bad building this thing, we finish dead last and get al thee wonderful kids. Not because of your hockey genius. I really hope you guys read this...

I feel for the youth of this team, would any of us blame them for having second thoughts about playing here ? Not with the circus monkeys and recluse of an owner running this gong show.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO OUR TEAM ??

Avatar
#70 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
March 12 2012, 01:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

The pace of the game today has revealed that Smytty does have trouble keeping up with the pace at times. Not sure he's a fit at all on Hopkins left side when needed. I love Smytty as much as the rest of you guys but he does have to be prepared to accept a smaller role on this club now. Will he be satisfied with 3rd or 4th line minutes in the next year or so?

This has to be a fit for both parties going into next season. Will Ryan Smyth be satisfied with a smaller role in Edmonton, along with a 2.5'ish per yr salary. That's a significant drop from the 6.2 cap hit this season. There's bound to be trouble on this Smyth front again if he's wanting somewhere in that 3.5-4 per yr range.

I think he will be very happy with a reduced role and minutes. I think the big drop in points per game was because he was tired and we lost a lot of top players. I still think he is good for 20+ goals for at least 3 years. Get it done!

Avatar
#71 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 01:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

He wasn't leaking anything to the media with a well placed anonymous comment dude. I'm not someone you leak stuff to because I am not a real person.

How is this situation of his doing? Publicly demanding to be traded back to Edmonton forcing both team's hands then asking to stay here for the rest of eternity?

Yeah sounds like he is really angling for anything else other than to retire an Oiler.

Precisely my point. He's cut his own feet from under him in terms of negotiating power. So, because of this, our GM (who may or may not be our GM next year) should come running to the guy, contract in hand? Hardly.

If people are worried about anyone on this team not being signed, it's Gagner and Petry heading into the off-season.

Avatar
#72 michael
March 12 2012, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Szach wrote:

Just thinking loud - wasn't TSN reporting a month back that Tambo is to sign an extension - looks in jeopardy at this point - the coach doesn't play his newly acquired defender too much. Seems like internal politics are being played out and I don't believe anything will happen until the season is over.... Everything will be left to the new/old GM whenever that happens. GM signing first, 94 second.

I am not.Repeat not a believer that Tambo and Renny will be back next season. Based on performance. This is a results based buisness.I wouldn't be surprised if there is a change at the end of the season. Like in the day after the season ends.We need a new team at the top to bring the Oilers to the next level.

Avatar
#73 Quicksilver ballet
March 12 2012, 02:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!" wrote:

I think he will be very happy with a reduced role and minutes. I think the big drop in points per game was because he was tired and we lost a lot of top players. I still think he is good for 20+ goals for at least 3 years. Get it done!

I feel the Oilers need him too. If he's asking anywhere near 4 per, i can see why the Oilers haven't givin him an offer yet.

If it was near 5.5 over two yrs, it would probably be done by now.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

As we saw with Hemsky it takes very little time from going from having no offer to being signed and delivered.

Shame on you Wanye you know how delicate this fan base is and now you'll have them all rev'd up for no reason.

Avatar
#76 Harlie
March 12 2012, 02:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I kinda had the inside scoop on the Souray debacle from a friend of a friend type of deally too. Management here is some F'd up and are player haters. So this don't surprise me.

Avatar
#78 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Bucknuck wrote:

I really thought Katz was a fan of the Oilers. IF he is, then Smytty should be concern #1 right now, since playoffs are over.

Katz, phone your employees (Lowe, Tambellini) and give them a deadline to meet your target (signing Smyth). The conversation should end with: "or else you are fired."

I sure hope Tambellini doesn't get an extension.

Yes, you're right - re-signing an aging, tiring forward who likely won't play into the future plans and has no bargaining power to a contract should be priority one, not re-singing the 24-year-old Dman who has become out defacto #1 D or the 22-year-old who is the our only hope of having a second line centre moving forward.

Avatar
#79 Bucknuck
March 12 2012, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Cru Jones wrote:

Yes, you're right - re-signing an aging, tiring forward who likely won't play into the future plans and has no bargaining power to a contract should be priority one, not re-singing the 24-year-old Dman who has become out defacto #1 D or the 22-year-old who is the our only hope of having a second line centre moving forward.

neither of those other two are UFA's, so they should be a lower priority, yes.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

Shame on me for riling up the fan base? I have already riled myself up to 100 - it is time to share the stress I figure.

Alcohol.

Avatar
#81 master of my domain
March 12 2012, 02:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

if Smyth really wants to retire an Oiler (which I believe he does) he should be offered a 2 year value contract with a full NMC as a sweetener.

Avatar
#82 Dallylamma
March 12 2012, 02:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

If they don't get Smyth a fair contract offer soon I can't be held responsible for the flaming cans of Smytty's favorite hair mousse (Panteen Flowing Body Mousse, natch) that may or may not be hurled in the direction of the Oilers head offices.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

If this is what you think of 94 you need to take a long look at your status as a Ryan Smyth fan. People thought he wouldn't live up to his last contract and clearly that wasn't the case.

You really think he's been a 6.25mil player this contract?

Avatar
#84 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

If this is what you think of 94 you need to take a long look at your status as a Ryan Smyth fan. People thought he wouldn't live up to his last contract and clearly that wasn't the case.

Ryan Smyth currently makes $6.25 million. If you think 20 goals and 50 points is worth $6.25 million, you need to take a long look at your status as a hockey blogger.

Avatar
#85 jeanshorts
March 12 2012, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Cru Jones wrote:

Ryan Smyth currently makes $6.25 million. If you think 20 goals and 50 points is worth $6.25 million, you need to take a long look at your status as a hockey blogger.

To be fair, those were the only credentials Blogger asked me for when I signed up.

Avatar
#86 jeanshorts
March 12 2012, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Dan the Man wrote:

Is it possible that the Oilers feel that signing Smyth is a given and therefore aren't in a hurry to get a deal done?

Psshhh, yeah, and next you're going to tell me they didn't trade Hemsky at the deadline and in fact resigned him to a reasonable contract.

What a world!

Avatar
#87 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Bucknuck wrote:

Actually he made 4.5 million this season. Get your facts right, man.

His cap hit is $6.25 million, and that's the only number that matters. Get your facts right, man.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Bucknuck wrote:

Actually he made 4.5 million this season. Get your facts right, man.

Doesn't really matter when you are talking about living up to the whole contract he signed.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Bucknuck wrote:

Well, since he only listed the stats from the 2011-2012 season, the pertinent number to use would be the wage in that particular season.

If this is what you think of 94 you need to take a long look at your status as a Ryan Smyth fan. People thought he wouldn't live up to his last contract and clearly that wasn't the case.

This is what I was referring to. You can't just start picking and choosing years when you are talking about a whole contract.

Avatar
#90 Dman09
March 12 2012, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Seriously this kind of sh*t pisses me off. Is anyone of the Oilers office staff even qualified to the jobs they have. If tambo's only job was to answer the phones I think the guy would fail. The team has a bad rap for a reason people and this just further demostates that. If any part fo the Oilers wonders y they can't get top talent all they need to do is look in the damn mirror because they are the problem.

Avatar
#91 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 02:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

You: "Ryan Smyth currently makes $6.25 million"

Facts: "You are incorrect."

On a team so far below the cap it actually isn't the only number that matters.

You're right, the cap doesn't matter. Let's re-sign him for 16 million over 4 years because we really like his hair n' stuff.

Avatar
#92 Cru Jones
March 12 2012, 02:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

First you say he is making 6.25 million then you suggest this. We are looking at his previous contract not projecting into the future. I'm going to assume you are either 1) drunk or 2) hammered

Either way you are making little sense on here today.

You indicated he's worth his current salary, which is $4.5 million. I'm simply using your math to suggest a dollar figure for the guy. And since the cap doesn't matter...

Avatar
#93 Trevor
March 12 2012, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

As far as the negotiating proceedings and the "brinkmanship" go, I am as naive as the next guy - who has never seen or heard the back-and-forth of a multi-million dollar contract dispute.

But, I think what frustrates me about all of this - and you all too, if I could be so bold as to put words in all of your mouths - is that it takes Tambellini far too long to asses the strengths and weaknesses of his team and his players.

I mean, sometimes he impresses us (Hemsky, 2yrs-10mill) and other times he disappoints us (Sutton extension/Gilbert for Schultz), but either way the man moves by sundial. A GM's job is to asses their team and make adjustments, not wait for the calendar to force their hand. I would say the later comes awfully close to incompetency.

Avatar
#94 Smokey
March 12 2012, 02:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Slow news day or something. Ryan Smyth will be here and it does not mean the Oilers have to negotiate with him right now.

The Oilers brass were forced into taking him back. Lambo and Smyth basically said take him or you look like asses. Oilers management took him, and made him happy, and fans happy. They did a good job fixing a bad deed. So if Klowe/Tambi want to play hard on contract I don't think anyone should care. They need to sign the right contract, something like 2 years at 2.5-3, and if someone offers Ryan more, then its in his court.

Avatar
#95 Eulers
March 12 2012, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Once again, the team's front office is making it harder to cheer and hope for this team. This article was the only time in my life that I thought about wearing a Flames jersey: a depressing thought.

Why is signing Andy Sutton to a significant overpay a priority, but Smyth--the heart soul of the team--is taken for granted?

Avatar
#97 Dman09
March 12 2012, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Trevor wrote:

As far as the negotiating proceedings and the "brinkmanship" go, I am as naive as the next guy - who has never seen or heard the back-and-forth of a multi-million dollar contract dispute.

But, I think what frustrates me about all of this - and you all too, if I could be so bold as to put words in all of your mouths - is that it takes Tambellini far too long to asses the strengths and weaknesses of his team and his players.

I mean, sometimes he impresses us (Hemsky, 2yrs-10mill) and other times he disappoints us (Sutton extension/Gilbert for Schultz), but either way the man moves by sundial. A GM's job is to asses their team and make adjustments, not wait for the calendar to force their hand. I would say the later comes awfully close to incompetency.

In reality he isn't able to assess the strengths or weaknesses seeing how this team is going to finish in the bottom two for the third straight year and if the blue jackets didn't have the most aweful season, which with the talent they had they should have done better, they would be last again. There really has been little to no improvement on this team even with the likes of RNH, Eberle and Hall all having good seasons and those have nothing to do with Tambo other than calling the names because the scouts said so.

Avatar
#98 mayorpoop
March 12 2012, 02:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

really glad they brought Smytty back, i think he provides an element of leadership thru example that we lacked.

in saying that we need to have GM w/contract confirmed (unless i missed that memo, which is possible) and a coach w/contract. as others have stated on here, these are kinda important.

sign him preferrably to finish his career here but if not just get me a winning team for F's sake.

Avatar
#99 Smokey
March 12 2012, 02:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

The pace of the game today has revealed that Smytty does have trouble keeping up with the pace at times. Not sure he's a fit at all on Hopkins left side when needed. I love Smytty as much as the rest of you guys but he does have to be prepared to accept a smaller role on this club now. Will he be satisfied with 3rd or 4th line minutes in the next year or so?

This has to be a fit for both parties going into next season. Will Ryan Smyth be satisfied with a smaller role in Edmonton, along with a 2.5'ish per yr salary. That's a significant drop from the 6.2 cap hit this season. There's bound to be trouble on this Smyth front again if he's wanting somewhere in that 3.5-4 per yr range.

I think he skates ok at 36, he just can't play 20 mins a night. Anyways with all the clutching and grabbing coming back, soon he will be able to Water-ski through the neutral zone in order to keep the miles off.

Comments are closed for this article.