LINUS

Lowetide
March 23 2012 08:11AM

Yesterday, Jason Gregor (via Terry Jones via Jack Michaels) gave us the word on what makes Linus Omark happy.

The story is up on the EJ this morning, with Omark's complete quote to Mr. Michaels. He's not going to OKC--waiver eligible now--and according to Jim Matheson the team will qualify him and then look to offload the gifted Swede over the summer.

I imagine the Oilers will be content with a mid-round pick in exchange for him, giving another NHL team a wonderful opportunity to get extreme value from a long shot draft selection.

There have been times over the last 20 years when the Edmonton Oilers were so interested in sending size over the boards that small items like skill were overlooked. Without saying the names, I think most Oiler fans could list off several of these player types without much trouble.

Omark's failure to win the day and find a home in the everyday lineup surely has something to do with the #1 picks, the Eberle and veteran presence. It also has something to do with making sure "size" is at least part of the equation. These are the kids likely to play most or all of a decade together in Edmonton on the top 9:
  1. Teemu Hartikainen 6.01, 215
  2. Curtis Hamilton 6.02, 206
  3. Magnus Paajarvi 6.03, 200
  4. Tyler Pitlick 6.02, 195
  5. Taylor Hall 6.01, 194
  6. Anton Lander 6.0, 194
  7. Jordan Eberle 6.0, 185
  8. Sam Gagner 5.11, 191
  9. Linus Omark 5.10, 174
  10. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 6.01, 171

There is a way to use Linus Omark--he has some nice things, including being tough along the wall and in puck battles--but the Oilers have other options and despite verbal there are no plans to roll "3 scoring lines."

I would guess Omark finds a place to play in the NHL, and would bet on him being an effective player. The Oilers have sent away a lot of kids since 2007 fall and Omark will be the latest in a long line.

I think he's probably the most naturally talented player Edmonton has flushed in a long time. Call me crazy, but that seems to be a really bizarre thing to do.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Keg on Legs
March 23 2012, 08:14AM

FIST, the problem with him is he thinks he should be in the every day line-up when he shouldn't be. The Oil will never be able to keep or make him happy.

#2 BaconWrapped
March 23 2012, 08:17AM

You're crazy.

#3 John Chambers
March 23 2012, 08:20AM

The Oilers treatment of Omark has been baffling. Too small to fit into your plans? Fine. At least showcase his skills during the re-build in order to enhance is market value - and gee whiz, use him as a piece to obtain that coveted defenseman.

We've endured a season where Renney has decided to give the Belanger triangle ample ice time on the pp, has thrown Petrell and now Jones games on the top line, and has inserted cro magnon man, Darcy Hordichuk, into the lineup 36! times while Omark went to the farm or was benched. I don't care if he's Arch's goat, he would've at the very least been our 6th or 7th most offensively productive player, if not better.

Squandered. There's no other word for it.

#4 Tyler
March 23 2012, 08:21AM

NO OTHER EDMONTON MSM WERE INVOLVED. NONE.

(Funny stuff.)

#5 me
March 23 2012, 08:30AM

It is sad in some ways, but it had to happen. There are only 12 spots in the NHL and obviously Omark is not going to play on the bottom two lines.

Decisions have to be made and they always won't be easy.

#6 Romulus' Apotheosis
March 23 2012, 08:30AM

I'm glad Omark played last night. pencilling in Hordichuk instead was boneheaded.

I wish him the best going forward. It's too bad he didn't make it in Oiler silks and it will be interesting to see if he can SIUTBSOHC.

I wouldn't make too much of the happy quote. He wants to play for Sweden. great! Smyth wants to play for Canada.

@Lowetide... are you sold on a decade of Pitlick and Hamilton yet? Seems a bit premature doesn't it? a couple of those other guys might be iffy too.

#7 me
March 23 2012, 08:32AM

They really should have an edit feature:) I meant 12 spots for forwards on an NHL roster.

#8 Rama Lama
March 23 2012, 08:33AM

Omark will play in the league somewhere and do well. His only downside is he is small and fairly slow but he has the overall skill and hockey sense to be a good second liner somewhere.

#9 The Farmer
March 23 2012, 08:34AM

Omark is fun to watch, and I will be sad to see him go, but his biggest problem, including lack of size, is his footspeed. He is too slow to be an effective forechecker, and he has trouble keeping up to be effective scoring off the rush. I could be wrong, but for this reason I have a hard time seeing him becoming an impact player anywhere in the league. (Rob Schremp 2.0)

#10 They're $hittie
March 23 2012, 08:36AM

not an omark fan but good game by him last night.

two things, what is going on in the shoot out. Time form Eberle to sit a few to rethink it. Dont need a two year slump like gagner. How did gagner get out of his slump to become 3rd in percentage in the nhl. also for all his flash omark is not a good nhl shoot out player right now. and smyth ahead of FNH and horcoff.

next if we qualify omark, what are the odds of him accepting or another team signing an offer sheet. If some one will pay 1.567 for him than we get a second rounder.

#11 Robin Brownlee
March 23 2012, 08:42AM

Did Omark get every possible chance to shine with the Oilers? No, of course not. Should he be criticized for speaking his mind? No.

That said, I suspect that, despite the flash to his game and obvious offensive creativity too many players lack, he's destined for the Fabian Brunnstrom File no matter how many NHL teams give him a look.

#12 Archaeologuy
March 23 2012, 08:48AM

Linus Omark is woefully terrible defensively and scores at a Robert Nilssonian rate. His attitude is brutal and he's an entitled whiner. I dont see any great loss to the club.

He will never be as good as Eberle or Hemsky (even in a bad year), he isnt a 4th liner, and I wouldnt want him Checking my bag at the Grocery store let alone Checking one of the league's best lines during the playoffs. Where does that leave us? The Pressbox, the Minors, or on another team.

This offensive wizard's talents are replicated by superior players throughout the lineup, and the Oilers could very well add another top forward prospect in this draft depending on how it all pans out. Linus Omark is destined to be sweetener in whatever deal Lowe has conjuring up that will land the Oilers an actual needed part.

#13 jr_christ
March 23 2012, 08:51AM

I agree with Arch here.

While we are all excited about his ability to play in the offensive zone he is terrible in the d-zone and the neutral zone.

We cannot sacrifice defense in order to generate offense.

#14 J-Bird
March 23 2012, 08:59AM

If Eberle is 6.0 feet tall, Sutton is 7.0!

#15 Shredder
March 23 2012, 09:04AM

While Omark has some skills, he has never really impressed me. A little more grit and a little less skill might do this team some good. Good luck to Omark...with any luck we can trade him to Calgary for their 1st round pick...they do that a lot right?

#16 Oilcruzer
March 23 2012, 09:07AM

The "Me First" attitude has no place in a successful locker room.

#RandyMoss #TerrellOwens #ChadOchocinco #AlexeiYashin #BrettLindros

"Toxic Talent"

#17 madjam
March 23 2012, 09:15AM

Omark is a good player, whom may get much better in another year or two . A bonus player to have in shootouts . Considering loser points may well decide the West this year for last two playoff spots , maybe having Omark around for at least one more season would be valuable .

Phoenix and Calgary sit poised to make playoffs with 12 and 15 loser points to their totals . Dallas and Colorado only have 5 , and San Jose 10 . I think it time to reconsider giving more points to a regulation win - perhaps one additional point .

#18 Tha Legion
March 23 2012, 09:16AM

NO phrase I hate more than natural talent, that only takes you so far unless you work at something. I'm sure you've read the outliers. Also I don't see Omark having an NHL career.

#19 Archaeologuy
March 23 2012, 09:23AM

@madjam

Or, and I could just be crazy, but now that every game has a winner and a loser why doesnt the NHL just go to a straight W/L record. Points be damned.

The East would stay the same, for the West Phoenix would be out and Colorado in.

No need to add points and get crazy. There are no ties anymore. Just wins and losses.

#20 Dman09
March 23 2012, 09:29AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I think he has been given chances maybe not the max he could have and I also think that the team was looking at him to be here all season but he didn't do enough in training camp and the beginning of the season to give them a reason to keep him. And he hasn't done enough this time around to wow people and gain the extra playing time on the top lines. With the current situation of the team you need to impress if you want to stay and he hasn't. Of course the value will be down to trade him because lets face he was unable in the last two years to gain a roster spot on a team that has been 30th and 29th.

#21 Smokey
March 23 2012, 09:31AM

I hope Omark lights it up the final 8 games, and goes to good home in the east. He's the kinda guy who would make the Oilers pay when we play him, and I don't think we want to see him multiple games a year.

Sail on Omark, make us proud.

#22 mayorpoop
March 23 2012, 09:33AM

he's too small. he can't play defense. bladitty blah blah. yeah like we don't have some of those already who are praised to no end. let Omark move on somewhere he will be given a chance. he may suck but you could never conclude that here the way they manage people.

our management team has done us no justice in this city and for this hockey club. it starts with Mr. Katz and it keeps rolling from there.

i'm sure they'd have filed for bankruptcy protection already if it wasn't for the loyalty fans in this city have. be nice if that was reciprocated.

#23 Dman09
March 23 2012, 09:37AM
Smokey wrote:

Sail on Omark, make us proud.

I don't know it just seems to me the guy thinks because he was a star in Sweden that he should be one here and get top mins no matter what and I think you see it a lot with swedish players coming to North America to play. Lack of killer instinct when things get tough and the inability to rise to the occasion. There are exceptions but generally that is what I tend to see.

#24 Jonathan Willis
March 23 2012, 09:47AM

1) I know Robin wasn't trying to make a direct comparison, but it's worth noting that Linus Omark has already scored at a better rate in the AHL than Brunnstrom did in his best season, and he's scoring at a better clip in the NHL too. Omark's SEL numbers also crush those of Brunnstrom.

2) Omark would rather represent his country than play in the AHL playoffs? WHAT!! OFF WITH THE HEAD OF THAT ENTITLED SELF-IMPORTANT WHINER! NOTHING MATTERS MORE THAN THE OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS!

#25 Bryzarro World
March 23 2012, 09:49AM
me wrote:

There is

#26 Phil
March 23 2012, 09:49AM

@ lowetide,,

Which forwards do you think the oilers need to flush in the offseason. I feel like I read a lot of articles where you defend each of the current forwards on the roster. (hemsky,smyth,omark,gagner) if you tack on the three kids, Harti and Horcoff there's no room on the top 9 for any new blood. Surely you can't suggest that the oilers keep their top 9 in place? But from your articles it seems like you want to keep them all or maybe I'm missing something? Everyone seems to want to move Horcoff but as you know that's easier said than done.

#27 Archaeologuy
March 23 2012, 09:53AM

@Willis

OKC is his team. Those are his teammates. Those are the guys he's spent the last 5 months working with and living with on the road. He wants to play for Sweden, I bet Curtis Hamilton wants to play for Canada. Who cares?

Now he's waiver eligible so I doubt he goes back there, but what does it matter? He still comes off sounding like a me-first baby. What message does it send to those guys that are still down there? Omark is a goof.

Robin Brownlee wrote:

Maybe if Omark worked on the things he was suppose to in the AHL he would've gotten more NHL chances?

I follow quite a few guys that do post games for OKC and while Omark is producing, he makes just as many mistakes. That simply isn't going to cut it at the NHL level.

#29 etownman
March 23 2012, 09:56AM

The simple truth is there is no room for Omark on this roster. The Oilers still need to fit the young Paajarvi & Lander into the future with possibly another top six lottery pick this year? Just doesn't add up! This is also the reason I think Sammy might be gone this summer as well?

I would bet money that Petrell gets offered another contract (PK, size, gets involved consistently). Quite frankly, it's a head scratcher to see where Smytty is going to play on this roster! Interesting decisions to be made.

#30 Oilers_21
March 23 2012, 10:05AM

Omark has definately shown some flashes, of that there is no doubt. He has had some chemistry with Magnus PRV and would benefit from listening to PRV's words about getting sent down to OKC to work on his game. If he really does want to play in the NHL then why not put the work in.

#31 Jonathan Willis
March 23 2012, 10:07AM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Billy Moores sounded pretty happy with what Omark did while he was hurt.

#32 J-Dogg
March 23 2012, 10:10AM

I agree with everything John Chambers said, especially the Gee Whiz (though I might have used a Golly).

I hate to part with that level of creativity but, set against his stature, defensive deficiencies and questions regarding his production rate at the NHL level, trying to squeeze him into the current and future landscape of our forward corps looks to be a square peg, round hole exercise.

It would be nice to see him find success somewhere in the NHL though.

One man's showboat is another man's crowd pleaser.

#33 Jonathan Willis
March 23 2012, 10:11AM

@Archaeologuy

Yeah, but Curtis Hamilton doesn't have any sort of realistic shot at playing for Canada. Even if he were healthy.

Omark's only mistake here was answering a question honestly rather than couching it in double-speak. He could have said 'Well, I'm looking forward to representing my country at the World Championships but I really wish I could go down and help the Barons to an AHL championship' and nobody would care.

He sounds like a guy who would rather represent his country than play minor-league hockey. That's it.

#34 Archaeologuy
March 23 2012, 10:15AM

@Jonathan Willis

The comment wouldnt have blown up on twitter if all it seemed like was a guy who wants to represent his country.

#35 nofool6110
March 23 2012, 10:17AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

He sorta did:

From EJ - "Of course, I would like to win something down there (AHL), but I play better when I am happy and I'm more happy at the world championship."

Glass half-full/half-empty view, I say.

#36 nofool6110
March 23 2012, 10:18AM

I really liked Omark last night on that line - he was clicking with Smyth and Horcoff and that hasn't happened all season. A whole game a season does not make, but, like Lowetide, I'm kinda sad if we let him go...

Then again, it's not as if we can send him down to the AHL. Depth is good if its accessible, I guess.

#37 LoDog
March 23 2012, 10:27AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Nothing should matter more than the OKC barons when you are a member of that team.

#38 DLS
March 23 2012, 10:28AM

What I can see happening is to trade both Gagner and Omark. Hopefully as good as Smid/Petry or better and also to get another goalie. Another possibility is that they use Khabi for the first part of the year and then trade him at the deadline. In any event gags and omark will go but they do need a defenseman and a goalie sooner then later

#39 Romulus' Apotheosis
March 23 2012, 10:28AM

@Archaeologuy

I get that he's your goat. but this whole "happy" quote bit is totally disingenuous.

#40 Dman09
March 23 2012, 10:34AM
etownman wrote:

I don't think Sammy will be gone because of a numbers thing I think this year he needed to have a break out season and he hasn't. Yes he had one amazing game but if you take that out fo the equation then he hasn't improved at all in the last few seasons and the Oilers need better than that to compete for the playoffs and in the playoffs.

I agree I think Petrell will likely get another contract but I would expect him to be sitting frequently in the Hordi role next season. It just seems that fighters have no spot anymore and Petrell is more useful than Hordi. I would almost say that Petrell is more useful than Eager as well. Has Eager done any PK this season?

#41 Lexi
March 23 2012, 10:35AM

I can't believe how much time we spend discussing this guy. He's a 25 year old guy who hasn't been able to get a regular spot on the 29th place team. I don't care how stupid you think Renney/Tambo are, if Omark was a legitimate top 6 forward they would have played him. My bigger concern is their treatment of Paarjarvi and Lander, two 20 yr old high draft picks who were completely wasted from a development point of view in the first half of the year.

#42 aeiouY
March 23 2012, 10:37AM

i don't see how he helps us win.... all he did was score last night. 47 points in 46 games in oklahoma. its obvious this guy can't' play. ship him

#43 aeiouY
March 23 2012, 10:40AM

tambo has set this guy up perfectly to trade for an impact 5th round selection

#44 Archaeologuy
March 23 2012, 10:40AM

@Romulus' Apotheosis

I made a commitment at the beginning of the season. Unlike Omark, I actually care enough to honour that commitment ;)

#45 A-Mc
March 23 2012, 10:43AM

There are 3 silos of people here.

1. The Omark HATERS that really aren't making valid points for why he shouldn't be an oiler. These people sound pretty childish imo.

2. The Omark non-believers. These guys use valid arguments to point out holes in his game and use that to discuss why he shouldn't be an Oiler.

3. The Omark fans. These people see the talent and are uneasy about letting it go for peanuts.

I'm #3 with a hit of #2. I really like the guy. I don't sugar coat things if someone asks my opinion and i cannot help but feel that i'd say the same things Omark did if i were dicked around like the Oilers have dicked him around.

I Understand he doesn't fit what we need here in Edmonton, so I'm OK with moving him. But i am really not pleased with the way we've handled him. If Renney is the one who makes the decisions to play a guy or not, then this is a major black mark on his record IMO.

When asked what i think about Renney staying or Going, i cannot help but feel negatively about him PURELY based on the way he has handled some players (The 3 swedes).

#46 book¡e
March 23 2012, 10:46AM
John Chambers wrote:

Squandered. There's no other word for it.

I fully agree. In a season where you don't really care if you win, throw him over the boards with two of the three 'kids' for 20 games (a fire-hydrant could score at a 0.50 pace or better with RNH and Eberle), let him get a few more Youtube hits, talk about how skilled he is in the MSM and then trade him while telling other GMs that you are just overloaded in the small forward department.

#47 A-Mc
March 23 2012, 10:47AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Your post quality has really gone down hill man.

I used to look for your posts specifically to read them first.

#48 book¡e
March 23 2012, 10:48AM
A-Mc wrote:

There are 3 silos of people here.

Yes, I agree, I still have some uncertainty about Omark - he may or may not establish himself in the NHL if given a chance on a scoring line. With that said, there is only one way to know and its not burying him on the 4th line or the pressbox.

#49 Truth
March 23 2012, 10:54AM

Omark would have been a lot more valuable to the Oilers if Hemsky had been traded. Playing him prior to the trade deadline would only increase his re-sign price tag, plus Hemsky was still around. It would seem that playing him now that Hemsky has signed is to increase his trade value.

I obviously don't know if this is the logic, but it would make sense. Unfortunately, we all know Hemsky is made of glass and a skilled player available to fill in for him (or any other injured top 6) would be incredibly valuable.

You could argue that PRV would be destined for this position once Omark is flushed. In saying that, PRV would APPEAR to be much more valuable to the Oilers because he is taller, heavier, and faster skating. Unfortunately though, he is incredibly soft IMO.

Tough call for the Oilers, it's too bad PRV had such an abismal performance this year or he could have been traded for a good young D and Omark kept.

#50 Archaeologuy
March 23 2012, 10:56AM

@A-Mc

I thought I made valid points in #12 and #19, but it's understandable.

It's probably a natural ebb and flow in quality. That or 6 years of consistent losing has taken its toll on me and I'm currently a shell of my former self.

That said, you might just like Omark (for reasons unknown) and it's not the quality of my message but the content that bothers you.

I dont know.