LOCAL CONTENT: MACGREGOR CHECKS IN

Robin Brownlee
May 11 2012 11:38AM

Griffin Reinhart, Henrik Samuelsson and Mitchell Moroz of the Edmonton Oil Kings will be on the radar of a lot of NHL teams at the 2012 Entry Draft, and that includes the Edmonton Oilers, who had chief scout Stu MacGregor at Rexall Place Thursday to watch the Oil Kings face the Portland Winterhawks.

I caught up with MacGregor this morning before he hopped a flight back to B.C. and picked his brain about the three Oil Kings. While I hope to re-visit the From The Horses Mouth Series I did with MacGregor heading into the 2011 draft – offering his take on the top prospects – we stuck with Reinhart, Samuelsson and Moroz today.

GRIFFIN REINHART

Defence

Shoots: Left

Height: 6'4’‘

Weight: 202

Birthdate: 1994-01-24

Hometown: West Vancouver, BC

CSS 10th NA

MACGREGOR’S TAKE

‘‘I see a big guy who moves the puck smartly, intelligently. Really good offense and a helluva shot. He’s doing nothing but getting better. In the playoffs, he’s added an edge. If there was any questions in regard to his intensity, he certainly, in my mind, has taken that away.

‘‘There’s no doubt he’s done himself a lot of good with his play. He’s shown what he can be.’’

MACGREGOR’S PROJECTION: Top 10 pick.

HENRIK SAMUELSSON

Centre

Shoots: Right

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 195

Birthdate: 1994-02-07

Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ

CSS 75th NA

MACGREGOR’S TAKE

“He’s a huge body. A thick, heavy guy. His foot speed needs to get better, but he’s extremely strong on the puck and he’s got very good hockey sense.”

MACGREGOR’S PROJECTION: Late first-round pick.

MITCHELL MOROZ

Left Wing

Shoots: Left

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 208

Birthdate: 1994-05-03

Hometown: Calgary, AB

CSS 72nd NA

MACGREGOR’S TAKE

“From the start of the year, especially as a rookie never playing at this level, he’s an interesting character. He’s a pretty big body. He plays real hard. He’s been willing to fight anyone and everyone throughout the season. His skating has developed. He’s a power guy who has some skill around the net.”

MACGREGOR’S PROJECTION: Second or third-round pick.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Pajamah
May 11 2012, 11:43AM

These 3 boys will Fortunately, interfere w/Svens Team winning the WHL championship

#2 justDOit
May 11 2012, 12:05PM

After watching Reinhart a bit on TV in the playoffs, I can see why other people have been talking so highly of him.

#3 Dan the Man
May 11 2012, 12:22PM

Watching Samuelsson last night the thing that stood out for me is that he is more skilled than I thought. I was pretty impressed with him and as Stu said, he's very strong on the puck.

#4 nofool6110
May 11 2012, 12:59PM

I really hope Samuelsson somehow drops to 32nd. It would be a great pick after seeing him live and in these playoffs.

#5 longbottom/P.Biglow
May 11 2012, 02:01PM

While I have said in the past I hope Samuelsson drops down to 31-32, I also hope that there is truth to the rumor of Toronto talking trade with the Oilers, Last I heard was Schenn and their first for our first. wouldn't that be a great way to get Rienhart and Schenn so between our last few drafts of getting defensemen and adding Schenn and Rienhart then Sameulsson and then Moroz in the third/fourth round we could pull off the Trisecta.........lmao.

OK Yes I am An Oilers/Oil Kings homer and a big dreamer too so none of you experts have to say it now.............lol.

#6 Ei8HTYSE7EN
May 11 2012, 02:20PM

If we are trading with Toronto, I'd much rather have Gardiner than Schenn.

#8 BURROWSHASCRABS
May 11 2012, 03:53PM

You all realize if Portland had a good Goalie this would have been a Portland Sweep. Just pointing out the Obvious. Look how many soft goals Carruth has let in for F-sakes!

#9 The Soup Fascist
May 11 2012, 04:08PM

I agree with N'credible, not sure why all the love for Schenn. Gardiner has more tools, #1 he is a fantastic skater. Schenn seems to struggle with speed at times. I would not make that deal. While he is young, I think Schenn is living off his exploits in the dub a bit.

Reinhart is going to be a very good pro for a long time. May not be real flashy but he will eat up minutes against tough players. I like Samuelsson a lot. Big, tough and skilled center who plays on (over) the edge. Skating stride is funny. Moroz is a sleeper. Great size with flashes of excellent skill. Very good fighter. If he can put it all together ..... Next year will be a good indicator, as he moves up the Oil Kings depth chart. Problem is the draft is this year.

Having said all the above, I still take Yak.

There is my free opinion. Worth every penny, no?

PS Nice to have a Head Scout who flies back to BC instead of PV (Puerto Vallarta).

#10 The Soup Fascist
May 11 2012, 04:11PM

@BURROWSHASCRABS

You do realize a goaltender is part of your team, right?

#11 Victorious Secret
May 11 2012, 04:42PM

@BURROWSHASCRABS Your point/argument is irrelevant since one could make the equal statement that, if Portland did not have bartschi, this series would not be close. Hockey is a team game, stop making excuses.

#12 Oilcan
May 11 2012, 04:56PM

@ Brownlee

Thanks for the article, I love reading these. Any chance you get an interview with Moores or Sillinger or one of the player development guys to discuss prospect progress? I would like to hear the Oilers take on Gernat and Reider.

#14 RexLibris
May 11 2012, 05:53PM

@RB

Thanks for the article, Robin. I love hearing what MacGregor has to say about some of these players.

Regarding MacGregor's take on Samuelsson's edge: I agree. Some of his suspensions this year would not have been suspensions in the AHL/NHL. In fact one could argue that they would only increase his value.

I watched Samuelsson play a game against the Tigers during the regular season and after battling with a Tigers forward all shift they both headed off. At the last second Samuelsson slashes the Tigers' forward's stick out of his hand and flings it away from their bench. The opposing skater was sitting there on the bench fuming while Samuelsson just grinned. That is the kind of hockey player this team is going to need pretty soon, to take the opposition's mind off of RNH, Hall and Eberle.

Lest we forget, the Oilers will likely be drafting 31st ovearll as I suspect the Devils will forfeit their 1st round pick this year. There are likely going to be a lot of options still on the table for teams to pick from in the later part of the first round so Samuelsson, and others like him, might just slip by.

#16 RexLibris
May 11 2012, 11:26PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

It's much easier to pull back the reins on an over-eager player who shows too much edge than it is to instill edge in a player who is a wallflower by nature.

Agreed. I probably sound a lot like Bob Stauffer here but I'd rather have Samuelsson initiating sessions with Brendan Shanahan than have the Oilers be the team sending in the tapes and doctor's reports to NHL HQ all the time.

Basically, it'd be nice to have some of this for a change: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvH-7lcjb0

Maybe we need an old Irish cop as the next head coach? ;)

#17 knobby
May 12 2012, 12:59AM

Tor/Edm trade picks from 5th to 1st and the compensation is Schenn? Thou must surely jest. Keep adding buddy.

#18 michael
May 12 2012, 08:42AM

HS or MM look like the kind of players that could ride shotgun with Eberle and RNH for the next few years. Big bodies who play with an edge who are willing to engage and heavy on the puck. They both have skill and speed not to look out of place and would bring the size and grit that RNH and Eberle lack. Drafting either one would be a boon to the Oilers organization. The other plus is the WHL factor. They have that crust that comes with playing in the WHL. I would certainly be pleased if ST and SMB have these two on thier draft radar.

#19 Jeff
May 12 2012, 11:17AM

With all the hype of Ryan Murray , I believe Edmonton does not want him.

#20 Rogue
May 12 2012, 11:54AM

Robin

Good article. Do the Oil have any extra picks this year?

#21 RexLibris
May 12 2012, 06:10PM
Rogue wrote:

Robin

Good article. Do the Oil have any extra picks this year?

Sorry to butt in here, but the Oilers have one extra 3rd round pick from the Penner trade and are shy a 7th rounder from the Smyth trade.

Omark likely gets moved at the draft and Peckham may also. Omark is generally assumed to be worth a 4th round pick although I think he should garner something between a late 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder. GMs know what they are getting with him more than they might with a prospect at that point. Peckham, if he is moved at all, I have no idea what a GM might be willing to trade for him. He is a waiver liability this season, so some GMs may just wait and see if they can pick him up in September or October for free.