BLESS YOU BOYS

Lowetide
May 13 2012 09:01AM

History will be made in our city today. In the land of ice and snow, our best teenagers will do their best to bring glory to our town.

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT

Edmonton's hockey history is long and rich--and famous. The Oil Kings are a big part of it, along with the Oilers and Flyers and Eskimos. Today, Keegan Lowe and Martin Gernat and Griffin Reinhart will have a chance to write their names in the history books with a WHL championship. They'll join names like Allan Hamilton, Bob Falkenberg, Phil Russell, Tom Bladon, Dave Inkpen.

GAME SEVEN

By any stretch, this is Portland's year with the Oil Kings a year away. That's the great thing about sports, you don't play the game on paper. Last night's loss in Portland had a lot to do with bad luck and not getting the calls (imo) but excuses are for losers and this grand series deserves a classic game 7. I think we're about to get it.

I believe this Oil King team will end up being pretty famous, mostly because of their defense. The group includes Mark Pysyk, Martin Gernat, Keegan Lowe, Griffin Reinhart and an emerging prospect (this season) in Cody Corbett. I imagine their NHL careers will be strong enough for us to "remember when" they helped the Oil Kings on this wonderful run.

You only get one chance to make a first impression, and for many Edmontonians the Oil Kings are a fresh brand. They haven't endure the 5 long years of blood, sweat and tears along the way, but are more than willing to be part of this tremendous hockey spring.

I say welcome, enjoy the ride. Cheer on our boys, it's an Edmonton tradition.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Game on. Oil Kings v. Portland. 6 o'clock. Call in sick tomorrow either way. Game is on Team 1260 with Corey Graham and Kent Simpson.

Bless you boys. We're behind you.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Oilers_21
May 13 2012, 09:14AM

Go Oil Kings! Score FIST, score often!

#2 gongshow
May 13 2012, 09:18AM

Bless you Oil Kings for giving us hockey to cheer about in May. Bless you LT for putting a smile on my face every Sunday morning. Bless you Sofia Vergara for being Sofia Vergara. Bless you mom for being mom.

#3 Oilcruzer
May 13 2012, 10:09AM

Well said gongshow.

#4 Harlie
May 13 2012, 10:29AM

Go get em' boys!! Shut down Rattie and Baertchi and we'll be alright. I'll be in row 15 cheering. Godspeed and good luck, let's bring home the Cup!

#5 Reg Dunlop
May 13 2012, 02:15PM

The last Oil King game I went to was against New Westminster and Rocky Maze thumped Barry Beck. I gotta go tonite... GO KINGS.

#6 Poly
May 13 2012, 04:32PM

Does anyone know if Bell has picked up the feed for tonight?

#7 walker59
May 13 2012, 04:39PM
Reg Dunlop wrote:

I'm from that era, too. Many good players in junior hockey at that time, but junior hockey is much better now.

#8 Walter Sobchak
May 13 2012, 09:15PM

Great game, great atmosphere, good on the Edmonton Oil Kings well done boys!

#9 Harlie
May 13 2012, 09:25PM

That was the best S H and you knOw what ever!!!

#10 jonny94
May 13 2012, 09:31PM

Congrats Edmonton Oil Kings!! Best of luck at the Memorial cup!!

#11 The Soup Fascist
May 13 2012, 11:17PM

Really happy for all the kids. However, special praise for Peddle, Rachinski and Maxwell (who scored a beauty tonight). As overagers at this time of the year you never know when your last game in the Dub will be. Rachinski and Peddle busted their a$$es all playoffs to ensure their last season was going to be extended as long as possible. And Max seems to be finding his stride again. These guys are playing for each other. Good Luck to the Oil Kings. Kick some Eastern a$$.

#12 Rocknrolla
May 14 2012, 12:54AM

So glad I went.....thanks for the nudge LT. Was my first time seeing a cup presented at RX1, and I am proud to say I was there as one of the few banners was won and will be raised to the rafters. A Championship, is a Championship.

God Bless those Boys

#13 Pucker
May 14 2012, 12:29PM

Dave Inkpen. waytogo - he's my childhood hero.

Went to the game. Loved it. I took in 5 playoff games and other than price of parking and cost of beer, it was well worth it.

Congrats Oil King's. . . . and my young kids are now Oil King fans.