MAD RESPECT FOR THE OILKINGS

Wanye
May 14 2012 08:15PM

Holy cow. Was that an Edmonton Ice Hockey squadron raising a championship trophy on Rexall Place Ice in a year that begins with 2?

A few years back it seemed as though Daryl Katz had purchased Last Place Hockey Teams in bulk and that anything remotely connected to Rexall Sports was destined to sit on the bottom of it's league for all eternity.

FAST FORWARD

Now in 2012 we are staring down the barrel of a return to respectability on two of the three fronts. The WHL Champion Oil Kings are officially a juggernaut. The Oil Barons are in the Conference Finals against the Jerk Marlies. And the big club? Well they are drafting first for the 11th year in a row and that's something right?

As a perennial Moose Jaw fan we watched the Oil Kings smack aside what was one of the better Warriors teams in a long while as though it ain't no thang. There was a big gap between "good" and "great" and the Oil Kings are definitely a part of the latter group.

Their win against Portland last night proved this beyond the shadow of a doubt.

John Mackinnon of the Edmonton Journal has a nice write up today about the quick ascent to the top of the WHL:

"The Oil Kings are headed back to the Memorial Cup tournament to compete for a national junior championship for the first time in 40 years.

“You know what, it’s a little surreal right now,” said Rachinski, a fifth-year player who has lived the growing pains of this fledgling franchise. “If you would have told me the last couple of years that we’d be winning a championship, I wouldn’t have believed you."

BELIEVE THAT

It's time to start believing in the Oil Kings it would seem. Good luck in the Memorial Cup fellas. You are doing the City proud.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#2 Winnipeg Oiler Fan
May 14 2012, 08:20PM

FIST!!!

#3 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 14 2012, 08:20PM

THIRD!

#4 Winnipeg Oiler Fan
May 14 2012, 08:21PM

Dammit, Wanye beat me to the punch!!

#5 Oilcruzer
May 14 2012, 08:28PM

Was in Edmonton last week and saw game 1. Glad I did...

Mad Props.

How old am I?

As a kid, used to play street Hockey by the Tennant's house and Darcy Rota and Phil Russell would join in.

Memorial Cup here we come.

#6 Vaclav
May 14 2012, 08:45PM

A championship team built around strong goaltending and an excellent group of defencemen. Just like the Oile... hmmm... nevermind.

#7 Wanyes bastard child
May 14 2012, 08:53PM
Winnipeg Oiler Fan wrote:

Dammit, Wanye beat me to the punch!!

Thats what she said

#8 Reg Dunlop
May 14 2012, 08:59PM

I well remember Darcy Rota. 73 goals in a season. That still must be the kings record. A great jr player.

Best wishes to the oilkings, do us all proud. Ditto Rush. Interesting read about the importance of team chemistry. I truly hope Yak can co-exist with the young guns already here or better still DRAFT MURRAY.

#10 freeze
May 14 2012, 09:44PM

It sure is amazing what a franchise can accomplish with a competent management team.

#11 longbottom/P.Biglow
May 14 2012, 10:07PM

@Freeze Hmmmmmm it took the Oil Kings 5 years to build a winner in a league with no salary cap and no salaries.

Now saying that do not degrade what they accomplished with your idiotic comments towards the big team. You do realise by the Manegement team by extension includes Tambellinni and Lowe because the Oil Kings are owned by the Oilers.

Congrates Oil Kings now Hope you finish the job in Quebec at the Memorial Cup.

#12 freeze
May 14 2012, 10:15PM

@longbottom/P.Biglow

A little defensive there, do you work for the team? Lowe and Tambo didn't build that team, Bob Green did and he deserves the credit. It has been 5 years and the team is ahead of schedule. How long have the Oilers been skidding now?

#13 longbottom/P.Biglow
May 14 2012, 10:29PM

@Freeze Maybe I do work for the team and maybe I am a real fan and not a wannabe G.M. The Oilers stopped chaseing dreams like Heatly and Hossa and Jagr in 2009 when they finnished last for the first time in Oiler History. That was when they turned over the roster by 20% and made a commitment to build it thru the draft. Think what you will I will go with the facts.

You did say one thing true here Bob Green built a great team and they deserve the time here and not some idiot makeing small of the feat by cheap shotting their owners.

#14 Dan the Man
May 14 2012, 10:46PM

GOILKINGS!

#15 David S
May 14 2012, 11:30PM

BIG MS PAINT DAY COMING TOMORROW!!!

*Paces floor in anticipation*

#16 Dan the Man
May 15 2012, 08:27AM

I think you misspelled RESPECK.

#17 freeze
May 15 2012, 08:59AM

@longbottom/P.Biglow

sure thing bud.

#18 David S
May 15 2012, 11:53AM

Oh man. I so dearly wanted to pull out the "Cool story bro." card. But I think I'll save it for somethi...AW DAMMIT!!!

#19 OutDoorRink
May 16 2012, 02:22PM

Good Sir Longbottom, you are 100% correct.

As I have argued before, Katz has been nothing but a blessing to the Oilers and has spent a lot of time and money rebuilding this organization from the ground up.

Hey freeze, before Katz we didn't even have a development system for our players. We used to have to piggyback on other franchises teams. It was pathetic. Now we're enjoying growing success at every level and that will translate into stability and long term success for the Oilers.

I don't work for the Oilers, but I wish that I did. I understand that they keep making that list of top companies to work for in Canada. Curse you Katz!

#20 OutDoorRink
May 16 2012, 02:29PM

In re-reading freeze's comments, I see that he doesn't specifically mention Katz, he simply points out what he feels is the incompetence of his personnel decisions.