1994 Memorial Cup

Jason Strudwick
May 15 2012 10:51AM

Congratulations to the Edmonton Oil Kings! They are heading off to Shawinigan, Quebec to play for the Memorial Cup. It is a great tourney with four strong teams.

My first year in Kamloops we went to Laval, Quebec to play against North Bay, Chicoutimi and Laval for the Championship. It was a very intense tournament that many expected to be won by a team from the QMJL. Both had very strong goalies, Manny Fernandez in Laval and Eric Fichaud in Chicoutimi.

We knew we had a strong team and felt this was our tourney to win. Don Hay was our coach and he was a great motivator. Instead of his usual fire up type speech he took a different approach a day before our first game.

He gathered us all in the dressing room and held up a stick with white tape down one side. He explained we would each write the name of who we were playing for on the stick and explain why we chose that person.

I have never been involved in a more emotional team bonding experience.

As each player, coach and trainer took turns with the stick, I felt our team becoming closer and closer. There was no way we would lose the cup. Even now, many years later I still remember that feeling.

We blew through the tourney and were crowned champions! Winning a Championship brings a group of people together and unites them forever. Even if I haven't seen some of the guys for years that bond remains strong.

I hope the Oil Kings experience that bond.

Recently by Jason Strudwick

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
#1 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
May 15 2012, 11:08AM

WOOOO!!!! The FIST hockey championship we've seen here in a while!!

#2 Robert Vollman
May 15 2012, 11:46AM

I imagine it was especially emotional when you won and they unlocked the doors and your loved ones you chose got to go home free and unharmed.

So who were the names of people that you guys put on the tape? Parents?

#4 Spartacus
May 15 2012, 12:26PM

@ Robert Vollman

Good stuff! I liked it so much I laughed out loud - no lolling around for me.

#5 Jonathan Willis
May 15 2012, 01:42PM

@Robert Vollman

I believe you're talking about the 'Mike Keenan twist', Rob.

#6 Stocc
May 15 2012, 01:44PM

All twenty two people on the team chose to write Jordan Eberle's name on the stick.

#7 blue31
May 15 2012, 03:37PM

Great article. Better comments!

#8 Guy Lafleur
May 15 2012, 04:03PM

Struds some great tilts with The Chris Murray taking on the QMJ and the OHLs tough guys on in toe to toe tilts .3 Memorial Cup Championships in 4 years without a doubt the greatest junior dynasty in history!!!!

#9 Winnipeg Oiler Fan
May 16 2012, 03:38AM

Here's my post to help Strudsy get into double digits for comments. The 2010 Memorial Cup was epic to say the least.

#10 Mike Modano's Dog
May 17 2012, 10:57PM

Excellent insight - thanks, Jason! :)

#11 RyanCoke
May 17 2012, 11:00PM

10th! There, u did it

#12 RyanCoke
May 17 2012, 11:01PM

Bah, fail at 10th on a 2 day old article at 11:00 at night... How embarrassing!