OILERS AND SMYTH: ONE YEAR WORKS

Jason Gregor
May 29 2012 12:12PM

Ryan Smyth wants to play in Edmonton, and the Oilers would love to have him, but from where I sit the deal that makes sense for both parties is a one-year deal. Both sides confirmed to me that the Oilers offered Smyth a two-year deal around the trade deadline. The money was north of Todd Bertuzzi's $4 million over two year pact. Smyth's camp countered with a two-year deal worth more than the Oilers offer.

Neither side was interested in the other's offer and since then there hasn't been much progress. With the way Teemu Hartikainen played after the deadlie and in the AHL playoffs, and wanting to have a spot for Magnus Paajarvi, I doubt a two-year deal will be on the table anymore.

A one-year deal can solve the stalemate.

If Smyth signs a multi-year deal he can't get any bonuses, which is why his camp is asking for a bigger contract on a two-year deal. The Oilers need to the flexibility to make room for kids like Hartikainen, Paajarvi and even Tyler Pitlick in the next two years, so a one-year deal makes the most sense.

Smyth can sign a one-year deal for $2.5 million with bonuses that could push it close to $3.5 million. That is a win-win for both sides. If Smyth feels he can still produce, then he will and he'll get rewarded for it. If Smyth reaches his bonuses then the Oilers should be in a better position in the standings.

I think Smyth can play in the league for three more years. His passion for the game is infectious, and while he likely isn't a regular top-six forward past next season, he'd be a solid 3rd liner with the ability to play spot duty in the top-six. He still can play on the PP, and he's a solid PKer as well.

I don't see the Oilers offering him a two-year deal. I'm certain that there is a team out there that will offer him a two-year pact, but he wants to play in Edmonton. His family loves the city, and the city loves him. I think Smyth could retire as an Oiler, signing a trio of one-year deals, but Smyth, like most players, wants a multi-year deal.

I understand why he wants a multi-year deal, but at this point is his doubtful he'll get one from the Oilers.

Both sides need to meet in the middle. A one-year deal is the best for both parties. Smyth can stay in the city he loves, and if he produces he'll make close to the same money he was asking for in a two-year deal. The Oilers need a veteran like Smyth on the ice and in the dressing room, because the young kids aren't ready to play all the hard minutes just yet.

Smyth could become only the 2nd player in franchise history to play 1000 games as an Oiler, he currently sits at 852.He's only 74 points behind Paul Coffey for 5th all-time in Oilers scoring. His 121 PP goals have him only four behind Wayne Gretzky and five behind Glenn Anderson. Smyth has a chance to sit amongst some of the greatest Oilers ever.

He could sign a two-year deal elsewhere, but he won't get the same satisfaction playing there than he would in Edmonton.

A series of one-year deals with bonuses is the best scenario for both sides, not to mention most fans would love having Smyth retire as an Oiler.

PARTING WAYS

The Oilers won't be offering contracts to 2010 4th round pick Jeremie Blain or 6th rounder Drew Czerwonka. Like I wrote yesterday, I didn't think it wouldn't make much sense to sign nine or ten guys from one draft class.

The Oilers will need to sign Oscar Klefbom, David Musil, Travis Ewanyk and Tobias Rieder next year. At this point those four are better prospects.

The Oilers are negotiating with Brandan Davidson and would like to sign him before the deadline.

CARRY OVER PENALTIES?

Has the game come to this. Yesterday the Puck Daddy Blog had this story about the NHL seriously considering having penalties, called late in playoff games, carry over to the start of the next game? Wyshynksi is a funny guy at times, so at first I thought maybe it was a joke, but the more I read the more I realized it wasn't.

"I think it might get talked about again. I can see some value to it," said Brendan Shanahan, NHL senior vice president of player safety. He said he's yet to see a docket for Wednesday's NHL GMs meeting in New York.

One of Shanahan's most controversial decisions of the 2012 NHL playoffs fit within this debate: The roughing call on Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators for slamming Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg's head into the glass at the end of Game 1 of that first-round series.

Weber was fined $2,500 by the NHL, but the Red Wings never saw a second of power play time from the incident, which occurred at the 20:00 mark of the third period.

"There are things that happen at the end of the game that people get angry about because there's no justice," Shanahan said, "and then they look to us. A slash to the back of the leg, for example, isn't worth a suspension. A fine doesn't matter [to the aggrieved party]."

Is this really that much of an epidemic? I'd like to know the answers to the following questions?

• Will we have the same referees for the next game. Wouldn't that allow for consistency and make them accountable for their calls.

• What if the team that wins the series takes a penalty in the final minute, do they start game one of the next round shorthanded?

• Outside of soccer, having yellow cards carry over to the next game, is there any sport where this has ever been implemented?

• What if a team scores SH in the first OT period, do they start the next game with the long change similar to the 2nd and 4th periods, cause that could alter the PP alignment.

Some thought my idea of not allowing icing when SH was crazy, but this seems ridiculous.

One game is one game. I have no interest in carry over penalties. Do you?

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Kenneth
May 29 2012, 01:08PM
dawgbone98 wrote:

I don't understand the notion that Smyth isn't a top 6 player anymore.

He lead all wingers in icetime last year and if he's back, there's a good chance he'll once again be right near the top.

It's not like Hartikainen or Pajaarvi are going to come in next year and start playing upwards of 16 minutes per game.

Smyth is NOT a top 6 player. His ice-time has nothing to do with it. His ability to produce does. He simply is not productive enough over 82 games and possibly more to play those huge minutes. In case you missed the last season as a whole, over playing the vets is one reason why the Oilers finished at the bottom.

MPS, and Hartikainen both would be better suited for top 6 right now then he.

#2 Jonathan Willis
May 29 2012, 02:13PM

Ryan Smyth had 46 points in the NHL this year. Teemu Hartikainen has never had a 46-point season in the AHL.

I'd be shocked if the latter outscored the former this year.

Given Smyth's two-way game, I think it's unconscionable to suggest that Hartikainen's a better player in the here and now.

Any word on Petry, Gagner, Dubnyk, Petrell?

This Smyth saga needs to be put to an end and quickly. Other stuff to worry about.

#4 lolhockey
May 29 2012, 12:48PM

Why is it that Smyth is treated like a Saint for bleeding copper and blue, yet nobody says a word when he pulls a similar stunt like before at renewal time? I understand family, security, yada yada yada... but he's not exactly going broke from the next deal. If you're dying to play for this team, love this city so much and call yourself a leader, then understand that room and cap space is needed for the future. Take the deal.

#6 Admiralmark
May 29 2012, 02:02PM

If Smyth leaves 2+ million on the table to play elsewhere.. I think we can all finally stop feeling bad for the first time he was traded away. Smyth played hardball with the city he supposedly loves. How bout a home town discount for Edmonton for once? If Smyth won't give one.. Who will??

#7 Dog Train
May 29 2012, 02:59PM

That one-year deal around 2.5 million plus bonuses seems more than fair to me. If Smyth is truly genuine about finishing his career as an Oiler, then he should accept that. This isn't his team anymore and he needs to accept that. He could be an excellent role model as the team is turned over more and more to the young guns but he needs to accept that role.

I am glad that the Oilers are leaning towards signing Davidson instead of Blain. Davidson just seems to have a more consistent and well-rounded game. I like Czerwonka but he had some injury issues and I think that Pelss has more upside so no worries there.

#9 Tapdog
May 29 2012, 03:06PM

Hey Gregor,

Just a thought but couldn't the Oilers Offer up Blain in a deal with a pick to Anahiem for Shultz? One team is losing their player and the other has to many prospects in the system to sign theirs so this would seem to make sense. Hopefully it would work out for both teams?

#10 Jonathan Willis
May 29 2012, 03:56PM

@Jason Gregor

I like the idea of a one-year deal - I've suggested it previously, simply because when a guy like Smyth falls off he might fall off in a big way - and I tend to agree with you.

I simply think that some commenters are letting their love of prospects interfere with objectively comparing players :)

#11 OilLeak
May 29 2012, 11:25PM
Smokey wrote:

Ewanuck (sp)over Blain. Why are the Oilers not signing him other then their is logjam a defence. A good sized puck mover like Blain never got much of a look. Is there something to his game that is missing. Hope this is not a bad move on the Oilers part.

Offer Smyth no more then 2.5 on a one year, 4 mil 2 year. Love Smyth, but the Oilers need to sign players at the right price.

Yeah his ability to defend, one dimensional chaos defenders can put up a lot of points in Junior only to hit a massive wall when they hit pro.

As for carry over penalties, I'd need to see exactly what they want to do. What happened in the above example could've easily be rectified with a proper suspension.

Maybe they look at increased fines for penalties that happen at the end of the game, but carry over really isn't far unless you are 100% playing the same team, which isn't the case if you win the series.

#13 Bucknuck
May 29 2012, 12:29PM

I like Smyth a lot, and I am sure he can get more in free agency (like in 2007). Last time we saw this he left town. We should all remember that this is a business and if Smyth wants to play hardball I am pretty sure they will let him go. I hope he realizes this too, if he really does want to be an oiler.

#14 Destroyko
May 29 2012, 12:32PM

What about Davidson? Did I miss him signing?

#15 Toro
May 29 2012, 12:35PM

I hate how they keep trying to change the game, If it ain't broke don't fix it , every playoffs I hear ridiculous rule change ideas , like go to 4 on 4 in overtime or no more fighting , or eliminating checking! Get a grip this is why I love hockey so much, it's got a lil violence too it and it's fast and exciting especially the playoffs..... As for Smyth he needs to be resigned for that 3rd line role, I'm not convinced Harti or MPS is 100% NhL ready so having Smyth there helps out alot

#16 Hegs
May 29 2012, 12:37PM

Hey Gregor, from everything I read Blain was doing really well and had positive signs. Why would this guy be a guy the oilers don't sign(I understand the 50 rule) but wouldn't it be better to sign him and possibly trade a middling AHL prospect?

#17 OilerLand
May 29 2012, 12:38PM

A one year retirement tour.

Didn't Blain also have the racial comment?

#20 billylikestodrinksoda
May 29 2012, 12:52PM

This is definitely a minor thing in the grand scheme of things but to me signing Blain would be a great idea. Obviously he is a long way from being developed but the guy is a decent sized puck moving dman. I know there is Klefbom, gernat and marincin, but really Gernat and Blain are the only ones with pure offensive ability .

Yeah he plays in the Q but he had the same PPG ratio that Morgan Ellis had with Shawinigan this year and scouts see Ellis as a 4/5 puck moving dman if his potential is hit. Absolutely its all hypothetical but the Oilers don't have enough guys in the system, if any (other than Petry), who can start the rush with a great first pass/QB the PP/jump into the rush IMO

Also, i like Ewanyk, great work ethic. Great Defensive game. However, after seeing him play many games the past 2 years with the Oil Kings, I just dont ever see him with enough offense to contribute even on a 3rd/4th line level in the NHL. So for that reason i wouldn't put him ahead of a guy like Blain

#21 dawgbone98
May 29 2012, 12:53PM

I don't understand the notion that Smyth isn't a top 6 player anymore.

#22 HallFever
May 29 2012, 01:18PM

We need Smyth in a 3rd line role. Signing him 1 year at a time makes most sense with prospects knocking on the door for both sides. Hopefully Belanger and Eager step it up under the new coach and provide veteran leadership as well.

#23 Dman09
May 29 2012, 01:19PM

The Setup of this team is completely A$$ backwards. On most teams you add veterans so that they can not only teach the young guys but also pick up the slack when they hit the rough patches that are so common with young players. This team ends up relying on their young players way more than they should(almost entirely the last 3/4 of the season) because the veterans did jack sh*t.

#24 T__Bone88
May 29 2012, 01:21PM

@Jason Gregor

Would it be possible and beneficial for the Oilers to trade Blain's rights for like a low pick in 2012/2013 draft? I could see some team give a 4th/5th round for his rights.

#25 Tim in Kelowna
May 29 2012, 01:25PM

Gregor, great read. The Oil need all the depth they can get and spending 2.5 m on a leader who busts his ass every game and every practice seems like a good investment. He isn't the player he was but he is an Oilers legend, simple as that.

#27 Tim in Kelowna
May 29 2012, 01:31PM

Completely unrelated, but do you see any value in a Paajarvi for Gormley deal? We need a good young dman, and Phoenix needs a good young forward.

I'm terrified that Tambellini won't address the huge hole on the backend (not that this deal would fill the hole, but it's going in the right direction).

#28 dawgbone98
May 29 2012, 02:09PM

@Kenneth

So wait, both those guys are going to out produce Smyth? Based on what?

His production is fine given the role he's playing (tough ES matchups, PK and 2nd unit PP). If anything you can possibly take some more of his PP time away, but that doesn't take him out of a top 6 role by any stretch.

#29 Jonathan Willis
May 29 2012, 02:10PM

I'm not surprised to see Czerwonka go, but I'm a little disappointed about Blain. I understand the logjam the Oilers are facing, as well as his injury issues, but the guy is a 6'2" point-per-game #1 defenseman in the QMJHL.

It just seems a shame to hang on to a Kristians Pelss - who I like but who has a much lower potential ceiling - and not bring Blain back.

It probably won't matter, of course - the likely outcome is that Blain doesn't turn out as a high-level pro - but I think it's unfortunate.

#30 dawgbone98
May 29 2012, 02:14PM

@Jason Gregor

Ideally yes... but Hall has had his 2 NHL seasons cut short and Hemsky hasn't had a full season in a while.

Given a healthy roster, I could see Smyth being 4 or even 5 or 6 amongst wingers, but that's not somthing I'd bank on quite yet.

I do agree with your premise in general, that a bonus-laden 1 year deal is probably best for all parties going forward, I just don't agree with the assessment that's been made several times here (not you), that Smyth isn't a top 6 winger any more.

#31 Greg Stink | ESPN
May 29 2012, 02:39PM
dawgbone98 wrote:

@Kenneth

So wait, both those guys are going to out produce Smyth? Based on what?

Good call, by that logic, if production is all that matters and not ice time, than the poster is contradicting himself because I don't think Paajarvi or Hartikainen can outscore Smyth. Not yet. I think one year at a time with bonuses is great for the Oilers, and something Smyth will just have to live with. If he wants more money, he will have to earn enough ice time and produce enough with that ice time to hit the bonuses. Its completely reasonable, especially with the history of vets here that have signed the contact, only to have their production completely disappear. And I am a huge Smyth fan saying this...

#32 Murray
May 29 2012, 02:41PM

I think carrying over penalties to the next game is a terrible idea. An alternative during the regular season could be to continue overtime until both teams have equal number of skaters.

#33 Cody
May 29 2012, 02:59PM

I love smyth and love that you can count on him working his butt off for the team. I agree that there is value in our young future stars seeing that effort game in and game out and that is the main reason I want them to sign him.

That being said unless he was suffering from unreported injuries last year he showed us that he no longer can hold up for an 82 game season where he is relied on as a minute muncher. I would love to see what him and Horcoff could do playing an average of 10-12 minutes a night. I also think a good coach should recognize fatigue in his older players and give them the odd day off. Preferably practice instead of games so it does not effect their confidence.

I like the one year idea. let's see if the last 1/2 of last year is what we are getting going forward or if it was a fluke. I personally do not see him comparing favorably to Bertuzzi and we already offered him more then bert made.

I think they made him a very fair offer. part of the problem may very well be that he feels they set the bar with the Hemsky signing. If he is arguing that if Hemsky is worth 5 he is worth 3+ I would have a very hard time disagreeing. that is the danger in overpaying one person on the roster. If he played the year with Hemmer and Horc it would be hard to say he does not bring as much to the table as they do at a much lower price.

#34 db7db7db7
May 29 2012, 03:05PM

Carrying penalties to the next game is f@#$#$@$$ ridiculous. It would only make sense if you're playing the same team. Otherwise it gives zero justice to the actual team at the reciprocating end of the penalty and gives some other random team a huge advantage which could easily affect standings in a different conference. I don't think there needs to be any rule changes for something that rarely happens. However, if they are insistent on making a change, make it a penalty shot if a penalty is taken in the last 2 minutes of the game.

#35 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 29 2012, 03:19PM

This is starting to look like it's going to get strung out to perhaps a week before training camp begins. If that's what it takes to get the dollars down to a decent amount, then so be it. Where else is he going to go?

If he refuses, let him play for the Flames.

#36 Digger
May 29 2012, 03:40PM

Just going by ESTOI/game for the wingers, in 11/12 Smyth was behind both Hemsky (15:25) and Hall (15:06), with only 2 seconds separating himself (14:26) and Eberle (14:24). Smyth averaging just over 2 minutes/game on the PK is the only reason his icetime was higher than the other top 2 line wingers, who play almost zero minutes shorthanded.

There is no question of whether or not Smyth was a "top 6" forward this year, he definitely was, if only on the edges of it. The more pertinent question is what his role will be in 12/13 and beyond, which is presumably what his contract demands should be based on.

If the Oilers go with BPA and pick Yakupov, without a doubt that will impact Smyth's role with the team when it comes to being on the top 2 forward lines. If Yakupov makes the team and is put in a position to succeed, it won't be at the expense of Hall, Hemsky or Eberle's icetime.

#37 dawgbone98
May 29 2012, 04:32PM

@Jason Gregor

3 of whom are RW. Besides, the issue we run into is we have lots of NHL players, it's a good problem to have.

But again, I think we're all on the same page... a 1 year deal with bonuses is ideal. I just think people are selling Smyth short.

#38 dawgbone98
May 29 2012, 04:35PM

@Digger

There's a difference between average ice time and actual ice time. Average is good when you look at a similar number of games, but when you have guys who missed 20-30 games, it becomes less valuable.

#39 Mike Modano's Dog
May 29 2012, 05:30PM

Great article, Jason. Totally on-board with the one-year deal being the ONLY deal that would make sense for 94.

I want to make sure there's room for our rookies and young players. After all, this IS a rebuild.

Funny as it may seem, I am actually in favour of having the penalties go into the next game. It would keep teams from breaking all the rules to either make sure the other team doesn't score or worse yet injure another player in the dying seconds of a game. There really is no retribution for it (from a win/loss perspective.)

Actually, from that perspective there is EVERY reason to actually break every rule at the end of a game. The only things truly stopping the players is the morality of it. When was the last time a coach said he didn't care about losing a game, he is just glad his players paid attention to the rules? (A professional coach who is still employed, that is...) ;)

#40 Oiler Al
May 29 2012, 05:40PM

Smyth.... one year @ $2.75 abd $1.0 in bonuses. Oilers did him a bit of a favour last year by giving him the chance to be back in Edmonton, close to his business. Part of the $6.5 million is a pay forward..PS. A year later, I am not really sure they needed to bring him back from L.A.. On the other hand if you think Hemsky is worth $5.0 [ I dont ], and your paying Horcoff $6.0 and Smyth upon arrival and 82 games later did more for the team than Hemsky and Horcoff,, How would you response to that.[ I know Horcoff is shoveling Katz driveway as well yada yada]. Oilers need some tenacity and toughness. Unfortunately Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, Belanger, and even Jones, afford very little of that to the team Not too many hits, and not too many goals.... why are you here?

#41 Smokey
May 29 2012, 06:04PM

#42 Digger
May 29 2012, 06:48PM

Sorry Dawgbone, I'm not buying entirely what you're selling, at least in this case.

Of the guys I mentioned, Hall missed around 20 games but I don't think his average icetime would've been all that different had he remained healthy...in fact, if he had been healthy it's much more likely his average icetime would've gone up, not down. As for Hemsky, he only missed a dozen or so games. His icetime wouldn't have been that different either...unless you're postulating that he would've suddenly been sent down to the 4th line and given 5 minutes per night. ;)

But all of this is really hairsplitting and not really what my main point was to begin with.

#43 ubermiguel
May 29 2012, 07:55PM

Please please please let Smyth sign for 1 year. He`s needed in the locker-room if nothing else.

And carrying over penalties is idiotic.

However, I hate it when guys that are in the penalty box at the end of OT are allowed in the shootout. I think that should be disallowed. Same game, penalty hasn`t been served yet...you can watch the skills competition from the sin-bin.

#44 Chris.
May 29 2012, 08:33PM

I like Ryan Smyth the player; but Ryan Smyth the business man has been a royal pain in the ass every single contract negotiation dating back to the 90s. I suspect Ryan thinks he is a better hockey player than he actually is.

#45 Where's Your Towel
May 29 2012, 08:46PM

Smyth - We all know what he's doing. In fact, I was one of the ones who didn't blame him for hitting the road to maximize his earnings during some prime years. A man has to take care of his family after all. This time around, it seems pretty ridiculous. He wanted to be here so badly that he put his previous GM in an untenable situation, and now he doesn't want to stay unless he gets overpaid? Disappointing to say the least.

#46 PaperDesigner
May 30 2012, 12:40AM

How about instead of "carry-over" penalties, what about "carry-on" penalties?

The crux of it is this; if you take a penalty with, say, thirty seconds to go, the coach of the team gets to choose if he would like to have the game extended for the duration of the penalty. This would do two things at once; act as a deterrent against late game cheap shots and ugly stuff in many, though not all, hockey games, and create some very thrilling moments in games. Can you imagine a tight fought 3-2 game where after the trailing team has hemmed the leading team in their zone for the last five minutes of play, the defending team takes a delay of game penalty, and suddenly, the trailing team has a full two minute powerplay in which to tie the game up? Or if Matt Cooke takes a stupid cheap shot late in a 3-all, gets 5 and a game, and his team has to kill a penalty just to force overtime? Could you imagine that in the playoffs?

Frankly, I think this idea, though there are several varations of it you would have to consider before settling on the right one, is a far more elegant solution.

Now, if they should just find a shrink ray for goaltending equipment...

#47 Bill Rizer
May 30 2012, 10:30AM

Could we have it so games don't end until the team in the lead is even strength?