WHAT WOULD IT TAKE?

Robin Brownlee
June 02 2012 10:00AM

The odds of it happening are about as likely as me ending up on the cover of GQ Magazine, but I can't help but wonder if there's a way that the Edmonton Oilers could come away from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft with Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk of the Sarnia Sting.

Not one or the other, but both. The daily double. The one-two punch. The package deal. A longshot? Obviously. Doable? Anything is doable, and one need only look back at Brian Burke's maneuvering to pluck Daniel and Henrik Sedin for the Vancouver Canucks at the 1999 Entry Draft. The question is: what would it take?

Going into the 2010 Entry Draft, I pondered the same scenario -- pie-in-the-sky stuff, as readers pointed out – when the Oilers were stepping to the podium with their first overall pick in franchise history with Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin sitting atop the prospect rankings. Back then, I asked: "Why not both?" I ask it again.

Why not both? Because it takes the kind of brass Burke showed in 1999 to waltz away with two top picks in your pocket. Because teams with the first half of the equation in hand still need to find a dance partner to pull off the back end, and that's something the Oilers and GM Steve Tambellini weren't able to do with Peter Chiarelli and the Boston Bruins in 2010.

PACKAGE DEAL?

Yakupov is already on his way to Edmonton for a visit after the NHL Combine and he's the odds-on favourite to be back in September for training camp after the Oilers take him with the No. 1 pick in Pittsburgh. Landing the dynamic Sarnia winger is the easy part. Tambellini has already said a team would have to knock his socks off to prompt him to part with the pick.

What about Galchenyuk, the talented centre who missed all but two games last season with a knee injury? Galchenyuk, of Russian heritage but born in Wisconsin, finished second among OHL rookies with 83 points in 2010-11. Yakupov, with 101, was the only freshman who was more prolific. We don't know how high Galchenyuk would be ranked going into Pittsburgh had he not been injured, but most people think he'll still go in the top five.

I can't say for sure if Tambellini and the Oilers have discussed what it would take to land both of them, but I see it as a scenario with merit and one worth pursuing. Yakupov and Galchenyuk aren’t only linemates and teammates with Sarnia, they are friends. The benefits of having each other around to ease the transition to the NHL seem obvious.

With Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Ales Hemsky locks for top-six jobs up front, that mix could be something approaching formidable a year or two from now if Tambellini could find a way to add Yakupov and Galchenyuk in Pittsburgh. A longshot, I know. While I'm on a what-if tangent, how far does the rebuild move along if Tambellini pulls this off and IF Justin Schultz end up in the fold on the back end?

If Galchenyuk is destined to go in the top-five, that means Tambellini will have to do business with Columbus, Montreal, the New York Islanders or Toronto, where 1999 wheeler-dealer Burke is running the show. The question is: does Tambellini have the brass to pursue the possibility?

Why not both?

FROM THE COMBINE

If you're not familiar with Yakupov and Galchenyuk outside what you've seen statistically or on the evening sportscasts, there's a bunch of clips worth looking at on both from the combine. You see Yakupov here and here. Take a look at Galchenyuk here and here.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Stocc
June 02 2012, 11:03AM

So make it happen...

#3 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 02 2012, 05:36PM

QSB and Wes mantouths dream blog.

#4 Clyde Frog
June 02 2012, 06:18PM

I would love to move up, but honestly the problem is teams CAN ask for kids like Eberle, Hall or RNH which means they will.

It may be more of a case that teams will draw a line in the sand that we just can't pay, simply because they can.

We might end up being a victim of having too much young covetable talent to make a move at the daft. It might have been easier to make this move 4 years ago, before we had A++ prospects.

In the same way that every single MTL trade includes PK Subban or Pacioretty and every Columbus trade involves Johanson; there is almost no fan that would look at a package without those names, so really why would we expect other teams to entertain packages without our kids?

It will probably cost too much for the Oilers to get a team to part with their top 10 pick...

Booo!

#6 Walter Sobchak
June 02 2012, 03:44PM

Great Read RB.

For those thinking NYI are a good trade option there not, not if Gagner is part of the package which he would be, they have excellent center's.

CBJ or TML are best options.

Would CBJ be willing to let that pick go for Gagner, Petry, Paajarvi and Bunz? Thats a hell of a overpayment and quality as well.

Thats what I honestly think what it would take.

You trade for Glachenyuk you have to move Gagner, You trade Petry to get CBJ pass on the need to draft Murray, Paajarvi for the need to replace Nash when CBJ trade him to TML, Bunz because CBJ has nothing in net or prospects.

I say go for it, Galchenyuk and Yakupov will be equal to Eberle and Hall, gives us two amazing scoring lines.

#7 Maverick
June 02 2012, 06:05PM

Nice article Robin!! Pie in the sky stuff? You bet, hockey trade scenarios about the Oilers on June 2nd in 20C weather in Edmonton, You bet!!

Wouldn't that be something if they could get both, wow! Odds of it happening is really slim to none, but we can all dream.

I think everyone has to also realize it isn't just about what the Oilers are willing to give up but what possibly would they be willing to take back to get both....

Stay with me a moment;

How badly does Montreal want out of the Gomez contract? Would a 3 prospect for a #3 overall and the Gomez contract get it done? I know CRAZY, but... MPS, Gagner and #31 overall for #3 and the Gomez contract and then draft Galchenyuk? maybe. Is it enough? too much? Gomez cap hit is $7 million but actually dollars of $5.5M in 2012-2013 and $4.5M in 2013-2014.

Now that is called thinking outside the box for trade scenarios, could it happen? (shrugs shoulders) Klowe and Tambo would need some major "grapefruits" to pull it off. Then again it is June 2, 20C weather in Edmonton, maybe I've had too much sun.

#8 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
June 02 2012, 06:28PM

Not going to happen. I'll eat my hat, if it does.

#9 Ron
June 02 2012, 10:07AM

I want all 3.

Igor Larionov would make a great coach

#10 C redd
June 02 2012, 10:58AM

Gagner this years 2nd round and next years 1st?

#11 blue31
June 02 2012, 11:03AM

@jonrmcleod

Did you drink an extra cup of stupid this morning?

This is not calculus, this is sports.

"What-If's" are what sport is all about. Otherwise why even play the games. Maybe they should just compare rosters in September, do the math and declare a champion. Everybody saves time and money.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

#12 Loganoil
June 02 2012, 11:17AM

If the Oilers really want the achieve this goal of getting both Yakupov and Galchenyuk, then a trade with the Blue Jackets or Islanders are the best bet. Toronto seems to like Galchenyuk a lot, while Montreal has a new GM who may be hesitant to make a major trade so early on in his new job.

The Oilers could offer any combination of Gagner, Paajarvi, Lander, 2013 Draft picks, Omark, Marancin.

Also, if the Oilers are able to or are confident that they will be able to sign Justin Schultz, this trade is more likely to happen.

#13 db7db7db7
June 02 2012, 11:37AM

Hemsky, Omark, Gagner, PRV, and next years 1st rounder should do it. Worth it? Maybe.

It would be worth it just to move out contracts.

#14 OTOWN
June 02 2012, 11:51AM

How about a 2nd and Gagner to the Islanders or a 2nd, 4th and one of MPS, Jonesy or Harti to Toronto. This should be done on draft day to ensure that neither Columbus or Montreal pick him as I don't see them doing a trade that doesn't include our first pick. I can see the Islanders doing the trade because I think it's an overpay but Galchenyuk will be the new top 2 Centre so we won't need Gagner. I see Toronto doing it because it gives them more pieces for a potential Rick Nash or Roberto Luongo deal which they will be in the mix for and I think the 3 guys I listed in this trade have skills Burke, Gillis and Howson would like in a package type deal and the Oilers are already having issues with the 50 contract limit so our prospect situation is solid now so picks can be traded.

#15 majin_oil
June 02 2012, 11:52AM

But that was Brian Burke, at times the guys b@lls are as big as his ego.

In terms of being aggressive as a gm, Tambo is more of the "man-jina" type personality.

#16 db7db7db7
June 02 2012, 11:58AM
OTOWN wrote:

Sorry, I don't think that is nearly enough in either case. It would take a stable of players and picks to snatch a top 5 pick.

#17 oldhippy
June 02 2012, 12:19PM

How about flipping this the other way. Everyone here would like the Oilers to get Justin Schultz. Having Jake Gardiner would almost make us a lock. Flip the first over all to Toronto for Gardiner and Toronto's first next year. We come away with Gardiner and Schultz, Toronto gets Yak and Galchenyuk.

The problem with trying to coax a top 5 pick is, all 5 teams need to show a significant improvement this coming season. All 5 teams value these picks very highly. The fan bases for all 5 teams would raise holy hell with a GM that trades away there first pick. And first round picks are over-valued.

That said, Tavares could use a winger. I would send any winger, not named Hall or Eberle. Any defenceman, not named Petry or Schultz. I don't think they would value Gagner very high as they already have a similar center in Frans Nielsen, although Gagner has a slightly higher upside.

I certainly agree that the duo of Yakupov and Galchenyuk is probably greater than the sum of the parts. The flip side would be the two of them becoming a seperate entity from Hall, Eberle and RNH.

#18 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
June 02 2012, 12:50PM

@jonrmcleod

dont let the haters get to you jon. I as well came to the nations in hopes of seeing a 4875th article about the coaching vacancy.

I find it absolutely mind blowing that nobody would take into consideration how realistic some of the suggestions might be when writing an oiler related blog... when it is june and the team has been out of the running since about christmas....

the thoughts of maybe drifting off into a nice place with fantasy trade ideas to top off this sh** sandwich we have been fed for so many years should not be tolerated!

you stay strong.

#19 striatic
June 02 2012, 01:08PM

first of all, this could happen. this is not a waste of time moreso than any other speculative draft discussion.

secondly, whether this happens or doesn't has little to do with GM ability, and much more to do with Galchenyuk's resolve.

we forget that a huge reason that Burke was able to swing the Sedins was that the tandem were willing to sit out a season or two and play in the SEL rather than play on different teams. everything about that draft started from that threat.

i don't see Galchenyuk assuming that posture, but i could see him scaring teams if he did. a scared team might just take something like edmonton's 2nd rounder this year, 1st rounder next year and NHL assets [Gagner? MPS? Gagner *and* MPS?] in exchange for avoiding the chance Galchenyuk might not sign with them at all.

#20 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
June 02 2012, 01:27PM
jonrmcleod wrote:

Because he gets paid to write articles about the Oilers and it's June maybe? Also, just because it doesn't entertain you doesn't mean it's a waste of time. Wasting your time is going out of your way telling people that they wasted their time. Just like I'm doing, right now.

#21 db7db7db7
June 02 2012, 01:50PM

Ok I've got a three way trade.

CLB trades Nash and their second round pick to Mtl for 3rd overall and Subban.

Edm trades 1st overall and PRV to CLB for 2nd and 3rd overall.

#22 DieHard
June 02 2012, 02:55PM

Why would you trade our 1st next year unless we damn well make the playoffs And in that case do it at he deadline. Everybody agrees we are not playoff bound next year so there is a good chance we are picking 5th next year (I'm thinking top 10 anyways). So, we trade our 5th next year (in a deep draft) for a 5th this year (not a deep draft) PLUS 3 or 4 players and decent prospects - sorry, that is just nuts. If we do take YAK and that is a probable and Galchenyuk is around at 5 or later we have assets (Gagner and Harti) to offer that could get him.

#23 Oiler Al
June 02 2012, 03:54PM

Hemsky and Gagner to Columbus for their 2 nd pick. You are bringing in a RW and Ctr. so you dont need the two vets., If Galyenuk is not NHL ready, then you keep Gagner and move prospects.

#24 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
June 02 2012, 08:10PM

@Bucknuck

I didn't reeeaaalllyyy mean to be negative, but this goes on every year. And although most people realize it's purely speculation, eventually false hope instills. That's why I don't bother anymore. But I hope I get to eat my hat! It's been a while!

#25 @NateInVegas
June 02 2012, 10:18AM

I can't see it happening without moving Hall or Eberle the other way. Tambellini scoffed at the notion of trading Eberle for Seguin.

If Galchenyuk progressed at the average rate as Hall, Seguin, RNH,and Stamkos he would have had 101pts in 63games. Keep that in mind.

#26 jonrmcleod
June 02 2012, 10:26AM

#27 Oil Bog
June 02 2012, 10:42AM

I am not sure that Tambo could achieve a positive result dealing with Burke. I also don't think Galchenyuk will make it to the 5th pick. If the other 3 teams were willing to trade what do you suppose it would take Robin? I am guessing the Oil could offer a mix of Gagner, PRV, Hartikainen, Lander, prospect and possibly 1 of our core defencemen. Tambo would have a chance to address the D through free agency. Still not sure if that is enough to make any team move but it would certainly add considerable depth to another team with the potential of some solid NHLers.

#28 Quicksilver ballet
June 02 2012, 10:48AM

There's no beating around the bush in this article. It's just flat out greedy, and i like, i like it a lot. Yakupov and Galchenyuk would be dreamy, Galchenyuk and Murray would be better.

I don't think it would set back the rebuild as we draw past the halfway point. Especially with the veterans on this team letting the Oilers down on a nightly basis. My only concern with a move like this is if the Oilers are even capable of doing a move like this, especially when Edmonton tends to way over value what some of their support players are worth.

One thing is certain though, Edmonton needs to do more than the bare minumum one of these summers. Patience is starting to wear thin already.

#29 madjam
June 02 2012, 10:51AM

Howson seems overly eager to move down as per comments/interview/body language on t.v. the other day . What might him and Tams have to offer one another ? Might Nash and Hejda be also in picture ? Perhaps Murray and Nash, etc..

#30 Ei8HTYSE7EN
June 02 2012, 10:53AM

@Ron

Great article Robin, There must be a way we could grab Columbus's pick as they always get the horrible end of everything. Hemsky + next years 1st? With the rights to Omark? Who knows probably need to add. I'm hoping we can snag Tom Wilson in this draft! Havinf our own Lucic would be great.

#31 michael
June 02 2012, 11:13AM

The Islanders are the team I target. Id guess that Garth Snow would like a couple of prospects and perhaps a roster player(Gagner)to make the deal. The Islanders need,not want, more complimentary players to support Tavares. I ould think that if we offer a flip of picks in 2013 that would add the zest that is needed to close the deal. The Islanders are on the same track as the Oilers. They are probably a year ahead. Brooklyn awaits a winning team. The NY Islanders are a lame duck team. Even Bettman can't spin this one. Tambo should concentrate his efforts on NYIslandes and forget Toronto and everyone else.

#32 jonrmcleod
June 02 2012, 11:25AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

"As you say in your first paragraph, it's not going to happen. So why waste your time writing this?

And what would they have to give up to do get both players? I think it probably would set the rebuild back rather than move it forward."

If it's a scenario without merit or one that is beyond the realm of possibility (as opposed to probability) why waste your time reading and commenting on it? Or is just what you do?

As for the second part, not necessarily. Depends on trading partners, their needs and, it follows, what has go to back.

How would I know the post was nonsense unless I first read it? I can't predict the contents simply by reading the title.

Why comment? Hopefully to encourage you to write stories that are more in line with reality.

#33 jonrmcleod
June 02 2012, 11:30AM

@blue31

Some "what if's" are dumb: What if Gretzky found the fountain of youth, do you think he would sign with the Oilers?

If it was a more reasonable "what if" I'd be interested. This scenario isn't going to happen. Brownlee states so in the very first sentence. (Unless he is ready to undergo a complete makeover.) It's total fantasy.

#34 6 ring circus
June 02 2012, 11:39AM

It's unfortunate that we have a GM in Tambellini, that the fan base and some of the MSN have no confidence in.In the 4 years that he has been here he has done nothing of substance,picking the first over all pick is a no brainer.The fact that Katz continue's to operate the Oilers in this manner is crazy.I would love to have a GM with brass B*lls and pull of a trade like you suggest, unfortunatly Tambellini does not have the b*lls to pull this off.

#35 Semenko and Troy
June 02 2012, 11:39AM

I don't think we have the assets to offer for a chance at Galchenyuk, but Igor Larionov sure looks like a young Steve Mandel.

If Doc is lurking around the combine maybe we have a shot.

#36 db7db7db7
June 02 2012, 11:43AM
Semenko and Troy wrote:

If Doc is lurking around the combine maybe we have a shot.

We have the assets, just not the balls.

#37 Lexi
June 02 2012, 11:46AM

One thing I noticed in the pictures from the combine is that Galchynyuk doesn't look much taller than Yak, yet I thought his calling card was being a big Centre. He looks like he's more RNH size, than Kopitar size. I still go back to Yak out scoring Gal by 18 pts in their rookie year, and Yak stil l had a great ppg year even without Gal and really no elite teammate so I've got to go with Yak. I also wouldn't go crazy trying to get Gal unless he falls into our laps like the Islanders taking Gagner and PRV for the 4th.

#38 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
June 02 2012, 11:59AM

Gagner, PRV, 2012 2nd Rd pk, 2013 swap 1st rd picks, 1 0f Peckham or Sutton

for...

P.K. Subban, #3 overall in 2012.

MAKE IT HAPPEN DITHERS*

*won't happen, Dithers doesn't have the cajones

#39 freeze
June 02 2012, 12:01PM

Probably doable if Galchynyuk falls past 5. A good GM could make it happen but thats where the Oilers are stuck.

#41 db7db7db7
June 02 2012, 12:05PM
Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate wrote:

Gagner, PRV, 2012 2nd Rd pk, 2013 swap 1st rd picks, 1 0f Peckham or Sutton

for...

P.K. Subban, #3 overall in 2012.

MAKE IT HAPPEN DITHERS*

*won't happen, Dithers doesn't have the cajones

I'd love to see that happen, but Mtl would require huge return for us to get Subban in the deal. I think we're talking more along the lines of Klefbom, Petry, Gagner, PRV, Omark, this year's 2nd rounder and the option of swapping 1st's next year.

And that probably is still is not enough.

#42 freeze
June 02 2012, 12:17PM

I haven't seen very many combines but Galchynyuk's performance in the clips seemed impressive. Have the results been reported anywhere?

#43 Rama Lama
June 02 2012, 12:19PM

Good thinking and I hope that Tamby is thinking the same way? If we draft Yakapov we will have an abundance of top six forwards on the wings. Listening to Tamby on the tube yesterday, he states he is waiting for someone team to offer him the sky!

I have an idea for you Tamby, why don't you pick up the phone and proactively discuss what it would take to acquire another top-six forward? There is no excuse for not doing this given how many forwards we have in comparisons to defenseman. I can just see the team struggling due to the fact we have no top 1 defenseman that can log major minutes and work the PP.

I suspect that none of this "pie in the sky" stuff will happen because we have the least creative GM in the NHL.

#44 glenn schwarz
June 02 2012, 12:34PM

how about this one Robin trade the 1st overall to CBJ for they 2nd pick plus there 1st next year hopefully they suck and we can draft that Mickennen kid

#45 doug
June 02 2012, 12:40PM

I believe that Burke selected Daniel and Henrik 2nd and 3rd overall in 1999. But I was just wondering what it would take for the oilers to trade their 1st overall pick?

#46 Talbot17
June 02 2012, 12:53PM

I'd still take Nail above all scenarios. Then focus on D for this off season and probably next knowing the Oilers

#47 madjam
June 02 2012, 01:01PM

Noone is going to stick their necks out on this years top 10 - it's not got any marquee players . No overpaying or big deals i see coming to be honest . Next season might however have a couple of them , and i wouldn't be messing with next years pick just in case !

#48 Oilcruzer
June 02 2012, 01:09PM

Far be it from "Play it Safe" Steve to do anything other pick Yakupov.

Book it.

#49 madjam
June 02 2012, 01:16PM

I prefer we draft Yakupov first , and work on a deal to draft Trouba as well ! The team that gets Trouba may have gotten the best pick from this years draft - time will tell .

#50 Bucknuck
June 02 2012, 01:28PM

I think any package that they had going the other way would have to include the Oilers second pick this year and first pick next year, as well as a good/great roster player and a prospect.

I think Montreal is too impatient to swap first year picks, but Gagner, Belanger and Omark with the 1st (2013) and 2nd would probably tempt them.

Toronto would not be a good dancing partner because the roster players Burke wants are the big gritty ones and the Oil can ill afford to trade them.

I don't think Columbus is in a position to trade the 2nd overall - which is the only thing they have to hang their hat on after a year of suck. no deal there.

NYI would probably be the most likely partner. Gagner, Omark, and 1st (2013), and 2nd this year might do it, or you might need to add more. They need help on D, so Plante or Marincin might intrigue them, though I would hate to give up on either of those guys.