TRADE WINDS....

Jason Gregor
July 24 2012 11:36AM

Yesterday Scott Howson joined a long list of GMs who were forced to trade away a star player and then be criticized because they didn't get enough in return. Make no mistake Howson was dealing from a position of weakness. The minute a star player's trade demands go public his value goes down.

Some were comparing the Mike Richards trade to Nash, but  they aren't the same. Richards didn't ask to be dealt and that's why Paul Holmgren was able to get Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn, but the Kings still won that deal.

When you trade the best player it is hard not to lose the trade, and even though Nash isn't a superstar, the Rangers won the deal. The only way the deal will even out is if Tim Erixon turns into a top-two defender, or the late first rounder develops into someone similar to Jordan Eberle.

But is Howson done dealing?

With the addition of Erixon, Howson now has eight D-men, and considering his lack of offence, it isn't hard to assume he's open to offers that include a scoring forward.

JACKETS BLUELINE

James Wisniewski: $5.5 million cap hit, with a NMC that becomes a modified NTC in 2013. The 28-year-old has five years left on his deal and at that price he'll be hard to move.

Fedor Tyutin: He has a NMC clause that switches to a modified NTC in 2015 and his new six-year, $27 million deal starts this year. He's 29 and a solid 2nd pairing defender.

Jack Johnson: Was acquired late last year for Jeff Carter and he has six years left as a $4.35 million cap hit. He's rumoured to be the next Captain of the Jackets, and it's doubtful Howson would move him.

Adrian Aucoin: The 39-year-old signed a one-year, $2 million deal this summer that includes a NMC. At his age, he'll likely only be attractive as a deadline rental.

Nikita Nikitin: Has a new two-year deal with a $2.15 million cap hit. He'll be a #4 with the Jackets. He quietly racked up 32 points for the Jackets last season and at 26 the Jackets feel he is just starting to get comfortable. He'd be attractive to some teams.

Tim Erixon: He is entering the 2nd year of his ECL at a $1.75 million cap hit, but his base salary is only $900,000. At 21 he's already with his 3rd organization. He shunned the Flames after they drafted him 23rd overall in 2009 and was dealt to the Rangers last year. Some think he was the key "future" piece of the Nash deal, so I wonder if Howson will want to keep him for a few years.

John Moore: He was taken two spots ahead of Erixon in the 2009 draft, and is entering his 2nd full season with the Jackets with a low $965,000 cap hit. He struggled in his own end at times last year, but they like his size. He was a puck-mover in the USHL and OHL, and they hope once he gets more comfortable in the NHL he'll be a solid prospect. He shoots left, and isn't very physical. I wonder if there is room for him and Erixon long-term.

David Savard: Another 2009 draft pick. He was the 94th pick that year, and while he doesn't have the first round status of Erixon and Moore, he's progressed nicely. He's a solid all-around D-man who moves the puck well. He's developed quicker than expected and many scouts around the league are high on him. He shoots right, which makes him even more intriguing.

Ryan Murray: He hasn't signed with the Jackets yet, but rumblings are that he is close. He's ready for the NHL, but considering how bad the Jackets handled Ryan Johansen last year I'm not sure it is a guarantee he'll play in Columbus this year. Murray would have huge trade value, but I don't see Howson moving a potential franchise D-man.

BEST BETS

I think Murray and Johnson are untouchable at this moment. Wisniewski's contract is unattractive to most teams, and it sounds like Howson is leery of dealing a solid defender like Tyutin, unless he gets a legit top-six forward in return.

Nikitin, Erixon, Moore and Savard are all young with varying degrees of upside. Would the Oilers move Magnus Paajarvi or Ales Hemsky for one of them? Would you?

RANDOM THOUGHTS

  • Rick Nash is a star, but he isn't a superstar. He never made anyone better in Columbus and with only one 70-point season in his career it is a stretch to suggest he'll be a consistent top-ten scorer in New York. He's a goal scorer, not a playmaker so I won't be surprised to see him score 40-45 goals with Brad Richards, but he is not someone you build your team around.
     
  •  18 players were scheduled to go to arbitration and so far 16 of them signed prior to their arbitration hearing. Only Anton Stralman (July 31st, Rangers) and Dale Weise (July 27th, Vancouver) have yet to agree to a new deal. I'm assuming those two will agree before their dates as well, and the arbitrators will have a free summer.  With no one going to arbitration, does that mean the players and owners are closer than we think? Probably not, but like all of you I'm hoping for a season and I'm looking for any positive sign that the season will start on time.
     
  • The Preds have until tomorrow to match the Flyers 14-year, $110 million offer sheet to Shea Weber. David Poile has two options. Negotiate another deal with the Flyers that will give him something better than four 1st rounders, or match the offer. After a phone call this morning to a source in Nashville I'm leaning towards them matching the offer because it sounds like there hasn't been any trade talk between the Preds and Flyers. Lots can change in the final 24 hours, but I'll be shocked if they don't match. Unless the Preds get two players who can play this year, I'd match the offer. If they let him walk, the Preds will be stuck in hockey purgatory. Not good enough to compete, but not bad enough to be a lottery team.
     
  • One of my new favourite segments on my show is our Elite Sportswear Coach of the week. Parents or kids can nominate their coach via email, gregor@theteam1260.com. Tell me what makes him or her a great coach, and they can win a great prize package from Elite and be interviewed on the show. If you know a coach who goes above and beyond let me know. Individual or team sport.

SPEC'S DECK II

**Latvian Fire Jumping from last year's party.***

One of the best deck parties of the summer will go down August 17th. Last year I came up with an idea to raise money for charity, while including a great night out. We hatched the idea Spec's Deck, where my good buddy from Sportsnet, Mark Spector, would a party on his deck.

It was a great succes, so we are doing it again.

Here's the details...

On Friday August 17th, we will be doing my show from Spec's deck, and we'll have five lucky winners, along with three of their friends, join us for a hell of a party.

The contest works like this. You donate $100 to help end MS and you get in the draw. We will have FIVE winners and we cap it at 100 entries. You can enter as many times as you wish. $100 gets you one entry, $200 gets you two and so one. Last year we sold out in less than three weeks, so if you want to win, get on it.

Here is what you get:

Prestige Limos will pick you up, (Each group of four has one pick up spot) and take you to Spec's deck in style.

Vons Steak House and Oyster Bar will be catering the event. BBQ steak, chicken, potatoes, veggies, etc...And Oysters.

Big Rock will supply beer all night long and in the Limo.

Andrew Peller will supply the wine, because us sports guys are a dignified group.

Yellow Cab will ensure everyone gets home safe and sound. They, like me, don't want anyone drinking and driving.

The party will start around 4 p.m. and last for as long as we like. Robin Brownlee, Ryan Rishaug, Jason Strudwick and maybe even Wanye will be there. I've also secured two SPECIAL GUESTS. Two NHL players will spend the evening sharing stories and probably listening to "how you were this close to making the show."

We will also have musician, Brett Kissel, playing on Spec's deck. The Deck is currently being renovated by the fine folks at The Deck Store so it will be even bigger and better than last year.

This will be a great evening of fun, laughs and good times.

 A huge thank you to all the sponsors and good luck.

You can enter by clicking Gregorridesforms.ca

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 The Beaker
July 24 2012, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Westcoastoil wrote:

Instead of Murray, Edm. should be targeting Morgan Reilly - according to Burke TO would have taken him at #1

Ummm then why the hell would they trade him? I'm getting tired of these pipe dream crap trade fantasies

Avatar
#52 French Toast Mafia
July 24 2012, 06:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

Not saying he isn't a good hockey player, but if my memory serves me right, Nash was the 4 th line center with the 2010 Team Can. in Vancouver.

Your memory is extremely incorrect

Avatar
#53 Oiler Al
July 24 2012, 06:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Oilers need a bit of a seasoned D man. First of your not going to get the " A" list guy, probably not even the "B" list. Guys like Moore and Erixon are young and unproven.Oilers have a ton of these guys backed up on runway #3,waiting to land. There is a couple of UFA whirling n the wind, ie; Colavico, and Rosezvil... both are plus players, and Colvaico, can carry the puck , while Rosezvil more of stay at home guy. Sign one of these for a couple years.. Probably have Kelfbom up next year, maybe Musil.. I'd have resigned Visnovsky if he was available, still might be.

Avatar
#54 Pouzar99
July 24 2012, 06:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Why are people talking about trading for Murray. The CBJs picked him second overall and had him rated first. Why on earth do you think they would consider trading him? Howson is no genius but he's not Phil Esposito. What have you guys been smoking?

Avatar
#55 Westcoastoil
July 24 2012, 07:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Beaker wrote:

Ummm then why the hell would they trade him? I'm getting tired of these pipe dream crap trade fantasies

@Beak - my post was intended to be dripping with sarcasm, but i forgot my ~~~'s.

To upgrade the D Stevie T can:

a) try and do a 3/4 prospects+picks trade for 1 legit top tier defender, which is very difficult to accomplish;

b) sit tight and see if the new CBA or a struggling team shakes loose an opportunity - possible, but doubtful;

c) sign Hannan/Colaiacovo/Rozival to shore up the bottom pairing - does that really help, are they better than Peckham/Sutton/Potter? I'm not so sure in any meaningful way; or

d) do nothing and see what J. Schultz/Peckham/Potter can do to improve.

I got $5 on door #4

Avatar
#56 Westcoastoil
July 24 2012, 07:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

A one year return of the Vis would be sweet though...

Avatar
#57 Quicksilver ballet
July 24 2012, 07:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Three first overalls in a row to go with Justin Schultz doesn't mean you put your feet up on the desk and stop trying to improve your team. Go out and get another D'man in here, another much needed D'man who'll contribute this season.

Any pedestrian GM can do the everyday kind of deals, lets see Lowe/Tambellini go out and pull a rabbit out of their hat, something of the more difficult variety or unexpected.

Gudbranson,Murray,Myers...none of them are superstars, one should be attainable without involving the fab 5.

Avatar
#58 Westcoastoil
July 24 2012, 07:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Three first overalls in a row to go with Justin Schultz doesn't mean you put your feet up on the desk and stop trying to improve your team. Go out and get another D'man in here, another much needed D'man who'll contribute this season.

Any pedestrian GM can do the everyday kind of deals, lets see Lowe/Tambellini go out and pull a rabbit out of their hat, something of the more difficult variety or unexpected.

Gudbranson,Murray,Myers...none of them are superstars, one should be attainable without involving the fab 5.

What would you want from Edm. for Gudbranson or Myers?

Avatar
#59 Quicksilver ballet
July 24 2012, 07:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Whatever they wanted Westcoast. There are only five untouchables on this roster. Time for a 3 or 4, for 1 in return.

Avatar
#60 Westcoastoil
July 24 2012, 07:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

That's an easy answer to give.

Unless you're willing to move Hall to centre you have to include Gagner as an untouchable because there isn't anyone on the roster to step into that spot. If you're Buf or Fla unless Edm. is willing to give Klefbom, Paajarvi,Peckham, +, why would you deal your young D? And if ST made that deal for them he'd be crazy.

I miss Mike Milbury...

Avatar
#61 Quicksilver ballet
July 24 2012, 08:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Subtract Klefbom and add the Oilers first in 2013.

As long as they continue trying to improve, we've seen enough of this losing is our best option program.

Of the 3 targeted, i think Murray may be the easiest to obtain. Howson already covets a few current Oilers.

One trade, one more deal for a top 4 d'man is all that's needed to erase the memories of recent season disappointments.

Avatar
#62 madjam
July 24 2012, 08:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

OUT OF CURIOSITY- would you trade Horcoff for Lecavalier straight up ? How about with Khabby thrown in ?

Avatar
#63 Wanyes bastard child
July 24 2012, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
madjam wrote:

OUT OF CURIOSITY- would you trade Horcoff for Lecavalier straight up ? How about with Khabby thrown in ?

Stevie Y would block your phone number...

Avatar
#64 Oilcruzer
July 24 2012, 09:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Anyone suggesting a Klefbom trade should be suspended from this site for a week.

The guy has franchise potential.

Avatar
#65 a lg dubl dubl
July 24 2012, 09:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@madjam, wbc

Hemsky, Khabby, and a 2nd round pick for Lecavalier

EDIT: or Hamilton instead of 2nd round pick

Avatar
#66 Ryan
July 24 2012, 10:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So Columbus used a second overall pick on a guy just so they could trade him for another team's leftovers? Huh? I realize that Howson is a bad GM (he had plenty of time in Edmonton to learn how to put a team in the basement) and might do something ridiculous but I really doubt he would trade Murray for anything that wasn't a big overpay.

Avatar
#67 Cheap Shot Charlie
July 24 2012, 10:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can guarantee that Howson only settled on Dubinsky after Sather told him that there was no way in...the world that Callahan was getting moved. Also, I wouldn't be surprized if the Dman that Howson wanted was McDonagh. Howson likely got the best deal possible but each of those guys are down grades, imo. Dubinsky will rack up more points with more ice time but you're right Gregor, he's not a 1st liner.

Avatar
#68 The Beaker
July 24 2012, 10:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

OUT OF CURIOSITY- would you trade Horcoff for Lecavalier straight up ? How about with Khabby thrown in ?

Did someone forget their meds this morning?*

*I know I did.

Avatar
#69 DSF
July 24 2012, 11:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

Anyone suggesting a Klefbom trade should be suspended from this site for a week.

The guy has franchise potential.

No he doesn't.

Franchise defensemen normally jump right into the NHL within a year after they're drafted and have an immediate impact.

Doughty, Weber, Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom were all impact players (and there are others) by the age of 20.

Hell, even Nik Lidstrom, who played another season in the SEL after being drafted, scored 60 points as an NHL rookie.

Adam Larsson, who is ranked higher as a prospect and had much better numbers in the SEL, only got into 65 games in his rookie season and only 5 in the playoffs.

Klefbom managed all of 3 points in the SEL last season while Larsson scored 17 points when he was a year younger.

Larsson and Hedman are much better young defensemen and it's unlikely either is considered a franchise defenseman at this point.

Avatar
#70 westcoastoil
July 25 2012, 02:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Subtract Klefbom and add the Oilers first in 2013.

As long as they continue trying to improve, we've seen enough of this losing is our best option program.

Of the 3 targeted, i think Murray may be the easiest to obtain. Howson already covets a few current Oilers.

One trade, one more deal for a top 4 d'man is all that's needed to erase the memories of recent season disappointments.

I don't think MPS, Peckham and next year's first gets you Gudbranson. I wouldn't do that deal if I was Tallon. MPS looks like he'll top out as Dvorak, Peckham might be available on waivers this year and who knows where next year's first will land.

I totally agree a top 4D is needed and would make a massive difference. I just think unless Gagner is part of the deal and you're willing to commit to Hall at C, because there's no other 2C in the system, we don't have a many/any guys we'd be willing to move that other teams would want except for Hemsky and then you're selling low on him.

My main point being, as unpopular as it is, unless something miraculous falls in your lap - eg. Vis from NYI- sitting tight for 1 more year might be the best option.

Avatar
#71 Oilcruzer
July 25 2012, 04:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

Disagree. By franchise, I mean a life long, dependable player, a future Captain. Points are one measuring device. Talent is broader than points.

K Lowe didn't score a lot either. An uber important cog.

Avatar
#72 Ryan
July 25 2012, 07:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm just curious, with all of the chatter on this article and other articles about how Klefbom is a franchise defenceman or how Klefbom is a dud or how Klefbom is whatever, how many people here have actually seen him play a game?

Avatar
#73 Walter Sobchak
July 25 2012, 08:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

You have absolutely no idea ether! He could come over and very well be a legit top pairing player, he has the tools.

You’re basing your opinion on projections of one prospect player against that of established NHL player's.

Fact is you just don't know.

Also, scoring points is one measure of projecting a player’s development; it's not the whole story, even more so for defensemen.

If you can have a stay home type of defender, I’ll take that just as much as I would an offensive type.

Klefbom was dominatingly outstanding at the WJC this much we do know.

Avatar
#74 Walter Sobchak
July 25 2012, 08:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ryan wrote:

I'm just curious, with all of the chatter on this article and other articles about how Klefbom is a franchise defenceman or how Klefbom is a dud or how Klefbom is whatever, how many people here have actually seen him play a game?

I'm going to assume most kept a keen eye on him at the WJC, I know I was fortunate enough to watch him live at the WJC and again at the development camp, sublime skater.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ billylikestodrinksoda

Well you don't need to trade a first liner to get those guys that's the thing.

Avatar
#76 madjam
July 25 2012, 09:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

DOAN says thanks to Oilers , but no thanks to coming here apparantly . Surprised they had interests in his services and probably with a lofty tag ?

Avatar
#77 Jprime
July 25 2012, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Duncan Keith didnt play in the NHL until he was 22 - 3 years after he was drafted. Last I checked he is some kind of franchise blue liner with a Norris.

Avatar
#78 French Toast Mafia
July 25 2012, 11:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

DSF, your posts continue to become more nonsensical and off base as the days go by. Not only do you only try to bring up facts that support your opinions you also write things that are just completely untrue.

The people that are saying they think Klefbom has potential to be a star are doing that because since the draft, people have been saying he is progressing well and was a real standout at the Oilers development camp. Saying a player does not have high end potential when you (or almost anyone else on this site)has never seen him play in the SEL is just not smart.

Your comment about franchise defencemen stepping in and being impact players at the age of 20 is wrong. Both Chara and Weber didn't do that at all. Weber played 20 some games his rookie season and didn't have a big year until he was 21.... 3 years after he was drafted, not 1. Chara didn't have an impact season until he was 24 or 25 and had 1 point in 25 games when he was 20 so I have no idea where you were going with that.

In Pronger and Lidstrom your talking about the 2 best defencemen to play in the NHL in the last 20 years so I think your pretty out to lunch to think that anyone that wants to be considered a franchise defenceman needs to dominate at 20 like Pronger Lidstrom and Doughty.

There are far more defensemen who started to be impact/franchise players after the age of 20 (two of which you mentioned in Chara and Weber). Keith, Suter, Boyle, Pietrangelo, and Kronwall are all very very good defensemen... But of course you would have wrote them all off within a year of them being drafted because thats when all the franchise defensemen start to become impact players. If they don't impact within a year of being drafted then they won't be franchise players....

Get a clue.

Avatar
#79 Rotten Ron
July 25 2012, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

Anyone suggesting a Klefbom trade should be suspended from this site for a week.

The guy has franchise potential.

Franchise?Show me evidence of this other than talk on this site or the oilers own press releases. He was invisible during the world juniors. His numbers are horrible, what am I missing? I'm not saying hes a bad player but in the 2 games i seen him play I didnt see anything that make him stand out from the crowd.

Avatar
#80 TigerUnderGlass
July 25 2012, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rotten Ron wrote:

Franchise?Show me evidence of this other than talk on this site or the oilers own press releases. He was invisible during the world juniors. His numbers are horrible, what am I missing? I'm not saying hes a bad player but in the 2 games i seen him play I didnt see anything that make him stand out from the crowd.

Show me evidence of this other than talk on this site or the oilers own press releases.

I'm not agreeing with the "franchise potential" comment, but I believe a number of scouting services believe him to be better than Ryan Murray.

He was invisible during the world juniors

How can you possibly claim that a player named as a tournament all-star was invisible? This is pure ignorance.

Avatar
#81 TigerUnderGlass
July 25 2012, 12:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

No he doesn't.

Franchise defensemen normally jump right into the NHL within a year after they're drafted and have an immediate impact.

Doughty, Weber, Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom were all impact players (and there are others) by the age of 20.

Hell, even Nik Lidstrom, who played another season in the SEL after being drafted, scored 60 points as an NHL rookie.

Adam Larsson, who is ranked higher as a prospect and had much better numbers in the SEL, only got into 65 games in his rookie season and only 5 in the playoffs.

Klefbom managed all of 3 points in the SEL last season while Larsson scored 17 points when he was a year younger.

Larsson and Hedman are much better young defensemen and it's unlikely either is considered a franchise defenseman at this point.

Here's your problem. Even when you make a point I agree with you back it up with nonsensical statements.

Lidstrom didn't even play int he NH during his 20 year old season.

Pronger was not what anyone would call an impact player until he was 22-23.

Weber - 10 whopping points at 20.

Chara? - ridiculous. It was years before he did anything noteworthy beyond being tall.

The only guy on your list who was legitimately an impact player at 20 was Doughty, and he is a freak because f it. Hardly any defensemen ever have been impact players at 20.

Now with all of that being said - I agree with your basic premise that tagging Klefbom as a future franchise player is absurd. Not impossible, but an extremely stupid thing to count on.

Avatar
#82 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
July 25 2012, 12:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Good to see DSF clowning around again.

As has already been pointed out, piles of top end defensmen weren't even in the league one year after being drafted, let alone having an impcact within a year of being drafted.

I doubt Klefbolm is ever "franchise" but it's resonable to believe he has a good chance at being a top 4 defensmen, with a shot at being a top pairing guy.

Good try though

Avatar
#83 BigE91
July 25 2012, 12:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason,

Just curious as to whether you ever considered auctioning off one of the spots on the deck during your show? Not that I'm carrying around the kind of scratch it would take to win such a bid but I think you could earn a fair bit of cash that way.

Avatar
#84 DSF
July 25 2012, 03:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

Disagree. By franchise, I mean a life long, dependable player, a future Captain. Points are one measuring device. Talent is broader than points.

K Lowe didn't score a lot either. An uber important cog.

K Lowe was NOT a franchise player.

There is so little information regarding Klefbom available from the SEL it's almost impossible to project him.

One tournament means nothing.

See Stone Hands Paajarvi for reference.

Avatar
#85 DSF
July 25 2012, 03:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Good to see DSF clowning around again.

As has already been pointed out, piles of top end defensmen weren't even in the league one year after being drafted, let alone having an impcact within a year of being drafted.

I doubt Klefbolm is ever "franchise" but it's resonable to believe he has a good chance at being a top 4 defensmen, with a shot at being a top pairing guy.

Good try though

That's a more reasonable expectation.

Considering there are 120 top 4 defensemen in the league, I expect he might make it.

Avatar
#86 DSF
July 25 2012, 03:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Lidstrom scored SIXTY points as a 21 year old.

Pronger scored 30 points as a 19 year old.

Weber scored 40 points as a 21 year old

Klefbom will likely play until he's 21 in the SEL and will likely need a year in the AHL after that.

Nice prospect, but he's much farther away from being the next Lidstrom than Hedman or Larsson.

Avatar
#87 DSF
July 25 2012, 03:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
French Toast Mafia wrote:

DSF, your posts continue to become more nonsensical and off base as the days go by. Not only do you only try to bring up facts that support your opinions you also write things that are just completely untrue.

The people that are saying they think Klefbom has potential to be a star are doing that because since the draft, people have been saying he is progressing well and was a real standout at the Oilers development camp. Saying a player does not have high end potential when you (or almost anyone else on this site)has never seen him play in the SEL is just not smart.

Your comment about franchise defencemen stepping in and being impact players at the age of 20 is wrong. Both Chara and Weber didn't do that at all. Weber played 20 some games his rookie season and didn't have a big year until he was 21.... 3 years after he was drafted, not 1. Chara didn't have an impact season until he was 24 or 25 and had 1 point in 25 games when he was 20 so I have no idea where you were going with that.

In Pronger and Lidstrom your talking about the 2 best defencemen to play in the NHL in the last 20 years so I think your pretty out to lunch to think that anyone that wants to be considered a franchise defenceman needs to dominate at 20 like Pronger Lidstrom and Doughty.

There are far more defensemen who started to be impact/franchise players after the age of 20 (two of which you mentioned in Chara and Weber). Keith, Suter, Boyle, Pietrangelo, and Kronwall are all very very good defensemen... But of course you would have wrote them all off within a year of them being drafted because thats when all the franchise defensemen start to become impact players. If they don't impact within a year of being drafted then they won't be franchise players....

Get a clue.

No one is writing him off...but anyone who thinks he has "franchise potential" is just being a huge homer.

He might be a top pairing defenseman some day.

Might.

Avatar
#88 Oilcruzer
July 25 2012, 09:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Grrr. Okay, semantics. I used the wrong word as clearly it has differing implications.

Klefbom is projected as the type of player a franchise might peg as a having special qualities that could make him exceptionally valuable as a player, with potential to be a future Captain.

K Lowe was that kind of player.

Point being, with all this hype, it is stupid to discuss trading when he hasn't seen a single game in the show. Very stupid, unless of course you get a stupider (sic) GM on the back end of the transaction. And that doesn't happen as much as we think. Lombardi wasn't the fool all here thought when he moved Smyth to.clear cap.

Comments are closed for this article.