Nation Radio - August 4, 2012

NationRadio
August 05 2012 12:39PM

It's the August long weekend! Hockey may be on the back-burner for many, but that doesn't mean that Nation Radio is hurting for things to discuss. Host Allan Mitchell talks about the Oilers with Jason Gregor, the Canucks with Thomas Drance, the NHL in general with Eric T., the AHL with Jim Byers and the WHL with Guy Flaming, with a little soccer talk with Scott Francis Winder in acknowledgement of the fact that when the thermometer is pushing 30 degrees all the talk can't be about hockey.

This is Nation Radio.

Part 1

Jason Gregor of OilersNation and The Jason Gregor Show joins Allan in the opening segment, and they talk about the Oilers' defence and what it might take for the team to add another reaguard. He and Allan go through the team's entire roster, looking at options all over and what might happen if there's an NHL lockout.

Part 2

Following Jason Gregor is Eric T of NHLNumbers and Broad Street Hockey. Eric has been tracking some fascinating things over the past season and goes into how much neutral zone play and how a team enters the zone matters to a club's bottom line performance.

Part 3

Thomas Drance shows up for Part 3; the CanucksArmy and Pass it to Bulis writer talks about advanced statistics and the Vancouver Canucks.

Part 4

Jim Byers, the voice of the Oklahoma City Barons, talks to Allan about the team's off-season additions and the opportunity for younger players to move up the lineup with some veteran subtractions.

Part 5

In Part 5, Guy Flaming of The Pipeline Show (and accompanying blog) joins Allan. Flaming does incredible work tracking junior hockey, and shines a spotlight on Curtis Lazar, Tristan Jarry and the rest of the Edmonton Oil Kings

Part 6

Scott Francis Winder closes the show with Allan, and he spotlights FC Edmonton, Ronald McDonald House Charity and a Guiness World Record video game marathon.

Full Show

Catch the entire show!

3d50040a624eb33c8637c3306f09eddc
NationRadio can be heard live on Saturdays from 12-2 PM on the Team 1260 featuring the explicit sounds of DJ Lowetide and his lineup of Allstar guests.Follow us on Twitter: @itsnationradio
#1 PerryK
August 05 2012, 12:41PM

None of the links are working!

#2 Wax Man Riley
August 05 2012, 12:46PM

↑ Ditto that

#3 Wax Man Riley
August 05 2012, 12:53PM

Let's try this again:

↑ Ditto that

#4 Wax Man Riley
August 05 2012, 12:53PM

↑ Ohhhh suuuuure... now my comment shows up

#5 Wax Man Riley
August 05 2012, 12:57PM

↑ I like arrows

#6 todie in a coma
August 05 2012, 12:58PM

Click on the words Full Show and download(top right corner) it from the Drop Box program and enjoy.

#7 David S
August 05 2012, 01:15PM
todie in a coma wrote:

And open in Quicktime if you can to avoid that ridiculous iTunes monstrosity.

#8 Kent Wilson
August 05 2012, 02:35PM

I'm working on the technical difficulties now. Show should be streaming through the site in about 30 mins.

#9 Kent Wilson
August 05 2012, 03:32PM

Okay, everything should be kosher now.

#10 Wanyes bastard child
August 05 2012, 03:33PM

Slacker.

#11 Lowetide
August 05 2012, 04:47PM

This was a fun one. Flaming and I talked about the Oil Kings D who didn't get drafted, Eric T. is a joy, I could talk to him all damn day. Such an interesting study on zone entries, make sure to check out his work at nhl numbers.

Gregor had his usual terrific insight into the Oilers, I thought he especially summed up the defense very well as it stands now.

Drance is going to run the world one day, he has an excellent article up on Canucks Army this afternoon that's well worth the read.

Jim Byers talked about the changes to the team and some of the names he thinks will get a push.

And Winder had some info on FC's big FIFA '12 project that goes at WEM starting tomorrow.

Fun show. And thanks to Kent for repairing. Kent, if you ever need help with 8-tracks or anything don't hesitate to call.

#12 Guy Flaming
August 05 2012, 05:22PM

Allan: Thanks for having me on, I always enjoy our conversations.

Writer of post: Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them.

Salut!

#13 Neal Vadekar
August 05 2012, 06:30PM

@David S

whoever posted this week to iTunes, I thank you. I begged last week and I am happy to see maybe my begging worked. As far as iTunes being a monstrosity, yes, I agree, however... when you finally get over the hump on how apple products work, and modify your lifestyle to suite, it is actually quite beneficial. It is kinda like the borg, it brings order to chaos, but at a price. I am borg now. I hear the voices (in this case, lowtides) and when I don't hear the voices, I miss them. LOL. Anyway, thanks to lowtide... for arranging this week to be posted on iTunes, and I hope that they remain posted on iTunes going forward.

Neal from Australia/Thailand (depending on the time of year)

#14 DSF
August 05 2012, 08:39PM

Drance is going to rule the world?

He thinks Colorado is better that Minny.

LOL.

#15 Kent Wilson
August 06 2012, 06:44AM

@Neal Vadekar

We'll have last weeks up on itunes by today as well.

#16 Kent Wilson
August 06 2012, 09:26AM

Alright, last week has been updated as well. It should be on itunes shortly.

#17 CODD_FATHER
August 06 2012, 11:08AM

Soccer,we don't need no stinking soccer.