The Nations Partners with McKeen's

Kent Wilson
September 10 2012 10:22AM

So you may have noticed some McKeen's Hockey banners popping up here and there across the Nation. That's because the boys over at McKeen's are launching a new website and subscription service that will replace their excellent annual magazines.

They called us up prior to the launch looking for some sort of partnership. That was a no-brainer for me - McKeen's has been pumping out quality mags for years. If you're anything like myself, their fall fantasy guide has been a must-buy since you first started engaging in drafts and manically following 5 different games every single night.

So we gave them some banner space to let folks know they're upping their game in the digital space. Also, NHLNumbers will be supplying some player stats and salary info for the new site. No big deal.

In return, McKeen's is letting us promote the Nations on their new site. And - even better! - they gave us the inside cover of their latest (and last) magazine which is hitting newstands this week. There, you will find the above advertisement, lovingly conceived by yours truly and brought to life by resident OilersNation citizen Gregg Beever.

So check it out folks. Fantasy season is obviously going to be delayed by the on-going labour strife, but once it finally starts you're going to want a McKeen's magazine and/or subscription to help get you through your various drafts.

Other News

- Also! McKeen's pro scouting coordinator Gus Katsaros decided to join up with LeafsNation as well.

- The Nations has been adding some talent across the network recently. Dmitri Filipovic and Graphic Comment complement an already strong crew at Canucks Army. As well as Gus, LN acquired Steve Dangle earlier this summer. Finally, FN recently debuted BookofLoob, whose new Two Minutes Hate! feature is likely to be a favorite for a long time.

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
#1 ubermiguel
September 10 2012, 11:00AM

One Nation United under Hockey! Nice partnership guys!

#2 Wanyes bastard child
September 10 2012, 12:32PM

Does McKeen's know we can comment on polz?

#3 The Towel Boy
September 10 2012, 11:05AM

Look out INTERNET!

#4 Subversive
September 10 2012, 11:19AM

Congrats, Kent. Good stuff.

#5 Pucker
September 10 2012, 12:28PM

McKeens was required reading when I was in hockey pools. I haven't been for a few years now but I did pick up some good sleepers through their publication. A ton of good information in their relatively small magazine. It was hard to find this magazine at times. I figured it was low distribution rather than high sales. .

Being old-school, I prefer to read the news rather than surfing on-line. So a little disappointment in that ( along with the trend The Edmonton Journal is taking).

#6 Unknown Comic
September 10 2012, 12:35PM

Nooooooo. McKeen's in a staple in my bathroom. I don't have a laptop, so what will I do next year????

#7 T&A4Flames
September 10 2012, 01:08PM
Unknown Comic wrote:

Dude, buy an I-Pad

#8 Shane
September 10 2012, 01:10PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Does McKeen's know we can comment on polz?

We can comment on polz?!?!?

#9 me
September 10 2012, 03:59PM

That is a real disappointment the magazine will no longer exist. Congrats on the partnership.

#10 bookofloob
September 10 2012, 04:03PM

This is awesome, by the way

#11 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
September 10 2012, 04:13PM

@T&A4Flames

Ya man. Instead of forking out 10$ for a magazine, you should just shell out 6 or 7 hundred dollars for an iPad. Just that easy I guess.

#12 toprightcorner
September 10 2012, 11:13PM

Great news about the partnership, but that is the worst advertising page I have ever seen. You know it is bad when you have to scan back up to look at because you never realized it was there to begin with. Can hardly even read it or know what the intent of it is.

Pleae let professional Advertising Execs design any of your future ads.

Still happy about the news though

#14 Wanye
September 11 2012, 10:44AM
Kent Wilson wrote:

The feedback we've had from the ad has been universally positive. Aside from yourself of course.

Remember when I wanted to get all those senior citizens to pose nude in the ad and you said "the drawings will be universally loved and that is a bad idea"

CHECKMATE SERGEI

Also: Excellent News!

#15 me
September 11 2012, 04:06PM

@Kent Wilson

I would have to agree with toprightcorner, although it is not even close to the "worst" ad I have ever seen.

Is the positive feedback from people already familiar with the Nations?

#16 MC Hockey
September 12 2012, 08:12PM

Great news about the partnership. Makes sense! It's nice when businesses can do a win-win deal...awesome Kent. And the advertisement, assuming it the one on top, is kind of cool.