HOW NOT TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE

Robin Brownlee
September 25 2012 10:07PM

Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz doesn't give a crap about what people think about him. He's a billionaire. A BILLIONAIRE. I laughed out loud when I read a comment to that effect on Twitter last night. Alas, it's true.

As any all-about-the-number girl will tell you, there is no such thing as a millionaire who is ugly or fat or short or bald or who smells bad. Pick any deficiency you'd like, a big stack has it covered. Having never dropped my panties for a greasy, stubby-fingered troll with a thick wallet and a black card, I can only assume the same holds true, squared, for a billionaire.

Even allowing for that, the reality that monied people play by different rules than the rest of us do, Katz hasn't done himself or his efforts to strike a deal for a new downtown arena for the Oilers any favors with the way he's gone about his business since doling out cheques to the EIG to buy the team.

In fact, Katz couldn't have done a worse job of PR, of selling himself and his vision to the citizens and hockey fans of this city, if he tried. His latest gaffe, a stunt in which he showed up in Seattle with Kevin Lowe, Patrick LaForge and Wayne Gretzky in tow Monday – Katz can find his way to Washington but he can't or won't drive across town to meet with city council – was a not so subtle attempt to put a gun to the collective head of this city.

Whether Katz realizes it or not – he might be so detached from the hockey fans of Edmonton (he used to be one) that he doesn't care – what he actually did with that ill-advised photo-op in Seattle was stick the barrel of that one-shot gun in his own mouth. If Katz doesn't change his approach, and soon, if he doesn't figure out he's alienating huge segments of a fan base that is, or at least was, dying for a reason to get behind him, he might as well pull the trigger.

HAM-HANDED APPROACH

Jason Gregor wrote an insightful piece today about Katz's charade in Seattle and the implied threat that comes with it. While I don't discount the possibility the Oilers could move if Katz doesn’t get the deal he wants – I wrote about it here – I'm also of the mind he's looking for leverage to get a deal here. That's understandable. It's his method I can't, for the life of me, make any sense of.

Think back just five years ago, before Katz started cutting cheques to Cal Nichols and Bruce Saville and the rest of the EIG. Could there possibility be a better situation, more of an absolute godsend, for Edmonton hockey fans than having a local boy made good, a billionaire no less, ride to the rescue with his cheque book in hand? An Edmontonian. A billionaire who grew up watching the Boys on the Bus. How do you screw that up? Let us count the ways.

When Katz took over the Oilers he had a city full of hockey fans just waiting to get onside with him. He hasn’t fostered that. He hasn't talked to the people who buy tickets to watch his team play, who buy the jerseys – the same people who'd be lobbying their city councillors to stop dragging their feet and get this arena deal done now if he'd made even the slightest effort.

Is Katz frustrated at how this project has dragged on for years? Sure he is, and he should be. But he's had a big hand in that, both in the business end of the deal behind closed doors and publicly by way of his astounding inability and apparent unwillingness to at least attempt to get a passionate fan base lined up behind him. How tough, in this town, is that?

Instead of going that way, Katz pulls a page out of Peter Pocklington's Shit Show Negotiating book and rolls into Seattle. Now, he's got mayor Stephen Mandel declaring a deadline of Oct. 17 to get back before council. This arena project should have been a slam-dunk. It's anything but that now.

It should never have come to this, but here we are.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
September 25 2012, 10:13PM

Should I?

Edit: Next time I get lucky like this, and get 20 props, I'm doing the "unthinkable".

#3 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
September 25 2012, 10:25PM

I plead ignorance but get locked out?

Anyway, I still remember listening to the people, full of passion and love for this city, that took the time to speak in front of the council last fall. Those people stood by the idea of a downtown arena and most backed Katz. And there were some brilliant speeches.

Katz just slapped all those and more right in the face!

#4 The Beaker
September 25 2012, 10:27PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Sure. You know what happens next.

Well it would actually have relevance to the article. "how not to make friends with Brownlee..." :)

#5 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
September 25 2012, 10:29PM

Oh and by the way, Peter Puck received death threats when he traded Gretz. What will happen if (BIG IF) Katz moves the entire team?

#6 Bar Qu
September 25 2012, 10:33PM

It is typical of the arrogance of the organisation which thinks they don't have to get public support to get this done. The same arrogance made them think running a last place team for all these years was good business too.

I'd advise Katz to get a better PR guy if I thought he gave a rip. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

#7 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
September 25 2012, 10:42PM

Katz has been a PR disaster....speaking of disasters, I've now got this image of Robin, panties, and fists😱 What a crappy way to go to bed!

Thanks Brownlee!

#8 Wanyes bastard child
September 25 2012, 10:46PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

Someone burns his baby's crib?

#9 jeanshorts
September 25 2012, 10:54PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

I plead ignorance but get locked out?

Katz just slapped all those and more right in the face!

I'm pretty sure there are ALOT of us (myself included) who have been fervent Katz supporters in all of this, who now pretty much want nothing more than to kick him in the f*#&)@* shins until he stops acting like such a dink.

And why the hell is he trying to be so secretive with all his new demands and stuff now? If you're asking for hundreds of millions in tax payer money NOTHING should be confidential.

He's starting to act like Mr. Burns; are we SURE he's not actually trying to use all this money to build a sun blocking machine? ARE WE???

#10 CooCoo
September 25 2012, 10:57PM

Any word if the kid from Bad Santa went to Seattle with the crew? Or was he left back home to man the Oilers twitter account??

#11 BK
September 25 2012, 11:03PM

In sales, and thus negotiations, it's the one with the most energy who wins ALMOST EVERY TIME! Katz etal have somehow sucked all the energy out of the direction and goal. This deal is really much closer than it appears, but they need to be creative, open minded, and bargain in good faith towards a deal.

I actually feel Mandell is doing the best job of staying positive consider some on his council are against him, half of the vocal populations, and apparently ALL of the Katz group. Hope he has the energy to keep it up!

#12 book¡e
September 25 2012, 11:19PM

My understanding is that City Administration and the Katz Group representatives came to an agreement regarding all aspects of the deal and then a few days later Katz' group returned to face City Hall and then presented something that bore no resemblance to the deal that they struck.

Katz is unwilling to be directly involved in making deals so he gives that authority to his 'people' and then they make a deal (with Katz approval) and then 2 days later Katz tells them that he wants a bunch of changes to the deal and to go back and tell City Council about the new deal.

The people from the City feel like they just wasted years of time working with the Katz group negotiating team and that they might as well just have been speaking with a random group of people in line at Tim Hortons.

Damn it Katz - you could have been Batman!

#13 Eulers
September 25 2012, 11:42PM

Time for the city to call Katz's bluff and walk back from the sweet deal with the public's backing. I didn't say walk away, but I'd dearly like to see the greedy negotiating tactics backfire.

#14 Anthony
September 26 2012, 12:11AM

Robin,

I completely agree. I think he had a real chance to be like the Sabres owner Pegula, instead hes Pocklington 2.0.

#15 Bill
September 26 2012, 01:49AM

Well written Brownlee:

Here was the knight in shining armour, riding to the rescue of the franchise....adding financial stability by buying out the EIG and by all appearances narrowing the factions of the EIG to ONE VOICE.

Problem is, he doesn't have much of a voice. He prefers to hide...I think Howard Hughes was sighted more than Darryl Katz. His shining armour is rusty and needs a crapload of bodywork.

You hit it right on the head, hockey fans in the city and the region wanted so badly to get behind this guy and it turns out he's more interested in shatting his bed. I thought Katz was a smarter man, he's got a lot of dough but apparently doesn't have two clues to rub together.

The man needs to act immediately to rescue his reputation before it's too late. He's already got a sweet deal.....he needs to move to the middle ground and the City will follow. It's going to take a 180 degree reversal in strategy on his part and some humility, and my hope is that he has it in him.

The nonsense has to stop.

#16 Manny
September 26 2012, 03:14AM

Hey Katz your a billionaire but you can't bully the whole city, councilors and oilers fans... You only paying 100 million over 35 yrs and now you want city to lease the tower that you going build beside the arena. Mr Pegula owner of buffalo Sabres donated 100 million to a university and on the other hand your threatening to move the team.... Your a one greedy man. You might not be around 35 yrs from now. So try to do something good for the community... Money is not gonna go with you when you die. If I was a billionaire I would have got the deal done by now.

#17 ed in mada
September 26 2012, 04:00AM

Katz's handling of this entire arena project has been so amateurish that I am wondering what his motivation might be.

BTW what's with Gretzky tagging along. Lowe and Laforge work for Katz, so if the boss says "let's go to Seattle" your going. But Gretzky??

#18 Pouzar99
September 26 2012, 04:06AM

In the end I suspect this will work out, as Bettman will never let the Oilers leave unless City Council acts in bad faith over the arena, which they certainly have not done and will not do.

Mandel clearly considers re-invigorating the city's downtown to be his legacy as Mayor and has bent over backwards for Katz as he sees the arena as the heart and soul of that. He has his limits however, and Katz has certainly pushed beyond them, issuing all kinds of unreasonable last-minute demands.

I suspect that Council will agree to certain concessions just to get the damn thing done but Katz will have to bend as well and accept considerably less than he is currently demanding.

What concerns me most is that Katz seems to believe he is being hard done by, that Council, the city, even the fans do not appreciate what he has done as an owner. In fact he has been a wonderful, if eccentric, owner until his recent behaviour. Perhaps he simply can't handle the criticism of the deal, which frankly I thought too generous to Katz, but acceptable, even before recent events.

The self righteousness of his recent comments and actions suggests the kind of lack of contact with reality the NFL owners are displaying in their idiotic handling of the referee lockout. The Oilers aren't going anywhere, but Katz may not be staying with them.

#19 Deep Oil
September 26 2012, 06:06AM

Interesting comments, seems I have been taking flak for this some time.

Can we review the facts.....

To move a team to Seattle from Canada - the transfer fee would be $100million, just a little higher than the $75 - $90million that Winnpeg paid on the Trashers, Katz has proven that he does not have the cash, and would need to get another loan. Pocklington had other businesses, sold them off or ran them into the ground. Katz has admitted in his Alberta Venture interview, his investments are leveraged. The Oilers have a $100 million, the journal did a story on his $24milion home, his wife sued her brothers and deceased fathers estate. So the city is trusting a partner that needs help in his $100million portion of the investment on the rink ? A concillor leaked the fact Katz has pressured the city in being a full time tenant in one of his development buildings, 100% tenant at his lease rates. City is being asked for a $6million dollars subsidy per annum, corporate welfare for a league to 5 - 10 in revenue ?

City is providing a $2million advertising subsidy per year for 10 years.

City is giving the present owner the naming rights, and concession rights.

Katz wants to take the present non profit casino money / license away from children programs to fund the arena.

Chris Hansen has funded his arena project of $290 million, plus a bond repayment of $200 million, plus $40 million in parking infastructure.

Gary Bettman has a bigger ego than most owners, he has saved this team once, and fights for cities with a full building.

The present owner would have to search locally for 24 months for another local owner, then have the balls to request the Board of Governors for a transfer, while other teams lose $10 - $30 million per year.

I am just disappointed that most Oiler Nation readers did not see this 3 years ago.

#20 raymond lapierre
September 26 2012, 06:31AM

i think his team of lawyers is also largely responsible for the bad image. This Black and Karvellas....you couldn't find 2 more ignorant looking goldseeking lawyers than that! It makes you want to puke! As for Katz....obviously he comes from a rich and wealthy background...you can tell....

#21 The Soup Fascist
September 26 2012, 06:42AM

@Deep Oil

I agree Katz latest moves have been puzzling but I am not sure I am buying it, if you are implying he is in financial difficulty.

Borrowing money, in terms of most businesses and corporations - multibillion dolar corporations is common practice. Look at the balance sheet of every large cap publicly traded company and you will find borrowed money and lines of credits into the billions.

If Katz's net worth is $2B plus, that is assets he owns less liabilities. He may have a bad haircut, terrible PR skills and the public personality of a houseplant but the guy has real wealth.

PS congrats on seeing this coming three years ago. I was one of the dummies who thought this was a good thing.

#22 pelhem grenville
September 26 2012, 06:48AM

...so... Deep...what you're saying is the Oiler Nation types shoulda seen this that many years ago and shoulda done what? put out the hue and cry? Won't this greed filled deal get done by the sweat of their collective brow anyway? He's the anti christ not the auntie Em y'know...the guys' butt is puckered with frustrations as well at not getting his bidding done without all these complex matters of changes he wants day after day standing in his way...i think he hears the tick-tock tick- tock as well and thinks he's gotta make these grandstanding moves to make everyone sit up and take notice...as we all know now and it's beyond me how he manages to do this but he's capable of making these huge PR mistakes and yet he doesn't consider them huge mistakes...it's the mentality of the man with the golden touch and he stopped caring when his greed couldn't be be briddled...AND isn't this deal still one hundred million dollars short? where's it gonna end DeepOil...

#23 OilDoug
September 26 2012, 06:56AM

I too thought that when Darryl Katz purchased the Oilers it was a great moment in Oiler history. I'm still not totally convinced it won't be. The man has made some PR gaffes but I still think he wants to keep the Oilers in Edmonton long term.

I'm watching this situation from a distance, St. John's, NL, but I can't help but think this is all part of the plan. If I owned the team I would ask for the moon while knowing full well exactly what I was willing to pay and the deal I would accept. I can't help but think this is the strategy of the Katz Group. Ask for everything knwoing there will have to be some recessions to a deal that works for both sides. The man grew up a fan of the Oilers in their hey day. He stepped up to buy the club when the EIG wanted out. He's told the club they can spend to the cap and suggested they go through the rebuild. That to me sounds like someone who wants the team to succeed long term.

There is no way Darryl Katz wants to be the man who ENDED the Edmonton Oilers, I don't care what kind of business man he is. The guy is an Edmontonian first and foremost and if the Oilers leave town he will never be able to set foot in the city again. If the Oilers left town it would make the hate spewn at Mike Comrie and Chris Pronger seem like a school yard disagreement. Katz will sell the Oilers before they ever leave town. I truly believe that.

This will get done. The rink and downtown will be developed and all will be right in the world soon enough.

When Oiler Nation is celebrating the 2017 Stanley Cup victory this whole mess will seem like a bad dream.

#24 Jason
September 26 2012, 07:03AM

good grief Brownlee...usually you are spot on but bringing Peter Pukelington into it? Lemieux pulled the same stunt as Katz just did...is Lemieux to be compared to Pete?

maybe, just maybe hes talking to these other councils to get a grasp on how they were able to secure their arena deals??

#25 Oil Fan in Ottawa
September 26 2012, 07:06AM

Might it be possible that they went there to discuss with the developers on funding strategies, or to discuss building costs? Could it be as simple as that?

#26 -30-
September 26 2012, 08:09AM

I like how Gretzky quickly distanced himself from the Washington fiasco.

It sounded like Gretz was po'ed at being used as an unwilling pawn in the veiled threat to the city of Edmonton.

Yup. Anyone who went to school with Katz at Ross Shep will tell you that this is what the REAL Katz is like.

I know.

#27 Dave Lumley
September 26 2012, 08:12AM

What blows my mind is that the City of Edmonton is in a PR war AND they are winning! I would have never thought that possible.

(For the ON grammer police, I realize that I have split an infinitive, Please forgive me.)

#28 Truth
September 26 2012, 08:22AM

While it is obvious that this is just a ploy to sweeten the deal for Katz, I would have to agree with a tweet Elliot Friedman (sp?) put out a few days ago. Instead of threatening to move the team Katz should be threatening to sell the team. If it was me, I would be selling myself as the born and raised die hard Edmonton Oiler fan and am doing all I can to keep this team in Edmonton, but if the deal cannot make sense financially I would be forced to sell it to someone else. Potentially someone in another market.

I truly don't believe that Katz is trying to squeeze more money out of city council in order to pad his pocketbook more. He is ensuring that this new arena deal will provide stability to the Oilers in Edmonton. No matter how good or bad the deal seems for the city it is a win-win. If the city has to invest the full $450M for a project downtown that is not only going to be run and maintained by a third party contractor, but is going to play a major part in the revitalization of downtown while potentially providing BILLIONS in future revenue through taxes and tourism, it is a great deal for the city and the taxpayers.

Everyone is so hung up on this deal being bad because Katz is a billionaire and the potential is there for him to make money. The EIG was in the business for the exact same reasons. Who knows, we can't be for certain there won't be another NEP that cripples the Alberta economy. Sure, the Oilers made $18M two years ago and have one of the up and coming teams. What happens 10 years from now? 20? 30?

#29 Zack
September 26 2012, 08:42AM

I thought this tweet was an accurate representation of the situation that is unfolding.

AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports Darryl Katz is the rancher. Hall, RNH, Eberle and Yakupov are his prime Alberta beef. And the Edmonton fans are the manure. #Oilers #Seattle

#30 Spydyr
September 26 2012, 08:47AM

Funny when I mentioned the possibility of Seattle a couple weeks back you jumped all over me.

Now your writing articles about.

Weird the way the world works.

#31 Dipstick
September 26 2012, 08:57AM
Zack wrote:

A small adjustment is required. We are the pasture. They eat our grass and then $#!+ all over us.

#32 6 ring circus
September 26 2012, 09:10AM

This is a big kick in the b*ll's to the city of Edmonton and Oiler's fans.After all the city and Oiler's fans have been through with this team the last decade or so,and now to have Katz turn out to be taking A page or two from Pocklington's play book is mind boggling.

#33 Zamboni Driver
September 26 2012, 09:10AM

I'm not always the biggest David Staples fan, but he wrote, I believe, the two best lines about this subject (Katz, specifically) in today's fish wrap.

He’s no Oilers saviour, no hero of the city, just a guy looking out for his own interests. If you had him on a pedestal, you were wrong to put him there.

#34 Sloppy Joe
September 26 2012, 09:18AM

@ OilDoug You say, "He stepped up to buy the club when the EIG wanted out"

That is total BS - it is Katz' self-mythologizing propaganda (most recently in his exclusive interview with his EJ patsies).

The EIG was in a position where (1) the team had just come within a breath of winning the cup (2) the canadian dollar was doing good, and (c) they were finally making decent money - with a bright future ahead. Katz didn't come to the rescue like a knight in shining armor. He chased around the EIG for months, making ever-increasing offers, and making sure the media knew about it.

#35 vetinari
September 26 2012, 09:23AM

Well, we've got the best seats in the house for the Katz "dog-and-pony" show... can we now refer to him as "Black Katz and the Slicksters"?

I find it ironic that Katz and crew didn't consider that the same fervent devotion and love that Oiler fans showed to a team posting 30th, 30th and 29th consecutive seasons would turn to fervent loathing and hate once they tried to play the "there are other cities out there" card in negotiations.

I hope that Katz realizes that he has other business enterprises in the city (various Rexall's, the Oil Kings, etc.), and pissing off the locals may not translate into a successful quarterly earnings report for these enterprises? Maybe the fans can send Katz a message during the lockout by reconsidering where they spend their hard earned money in the next few weeks?

#36 DonovanMD
September 26 2012, 09:37AM

If I was a billionaire-playboy-hockey team owner (with a great head of hair) in a city with a mild inferiority complex, I'd probably enjoy making fans and media alike dance to.

Is Katz a terrible bluffer, or just a brilliant troll??

#37 michael
September 26 2012, 09:38AM

Bettman lets Phoenix hose the NHL for 25 million a year and then he lets Edmonton walk to Seattle. Really? Were not sheep. Most of us can see right through this. For those who can't go ask Jason Gregor or Dan Spencer to spell it out in little words so that you can understand. I'll start worrying when Stan Farbrother starts publicly saying something. Till then its fodder for the masses. I'd rather spend my time worrying about the cost of snow tires for my gas guzzling Suburban. Cripes $300.00 a piece for an E rated tire.

#40 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
September 26 2012, 10:07AM

Time to shake things up. City council should rubber stamp this and build this facility on their own. The cost will be no less dear to taxpayers. We're paying for most, if not all of this facility anyways if we factor in all the extras Katz is demanding. Let him be a 45 night a year renter. Take it all away from Daryl and give it to the folks paying for it. Rip it from his grasp and watch his attitude change.

Have to think Katz has the cameras rolling on this effort as well, probably trying to add a new episode of My house, your money.

#41 David S
September 26 2012, 10:07AM
Truth wrote:

The Seattle relocation is a bad deal for Katz and everybody here knows it, so I'm pretty sure he does too. But what if he was in Seattle to talk about selling the team?

I tell ya, the real sticking point in this whole deal is the uncertainty Northlands presents when trying to calculate revenue. They have Rexall busy for 220 days/nights a year. The average as I hear is in the range of 170.

Do you think Northlands is going to give up all that revenue without a fight? It's their primary cash generator without which they're out of business. They'll compete tooth and nail for every piece of business available in this city.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out AEG, the Katz group partner is demanding some sort of revenue certainty before comitting to the deal. That either means a casino-like operations cash inflow or straight subsidy. AEG may have in fact changed the conditions of the deal on Katz at the last moment, but of course we'll never know for sure.

#42 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
September 26 2012, 10:09AM
Deep Oil wrote:

Interesting comments, seems I have been taking flak for this some time.

Can we review the facts.....

City is providing a $2million advertising subsidy per year for 10 years.

City is giving the present owner the naming rights, and concession rights.

I do enjoy the fact that you think Katz negotiating hard means he doesn't have the $$.

What you take flax for, is/was ridiculous notion that having loans and a wife who took legal action over $$ means a person is broke.

#43 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
September 26 2012, 10:21AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Deep Oils take has merit. Many people act based on needs. He's financing 100% of his investment into this facility. I think even i mentioned a couple yrs ago, Katz was needing to fast track this project because his resources were dwindling.

Revitalize downtown my arse, Katz wants the keys to this facilty to revitalize his own finacial interest.

#44 rubbertrout
September 26 2012, 10:30AM
Anthony wrote:

Robin,

This hits the nail on the head.

#45 David S
September 26 2012, 11:01AM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Other than startup costs the city will be financing everything too. And the problem is???

#46 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
September 26 2012, 11:30AM
David S wrote:

Control David.

What if the profits from this facilty went into City coffers instead of Katz' pockets. What if this facility alone gave the city the finacial benifit for other opportunities. I'd rather see the approz 15 mill+ in profits every yr go onto city coffers than under the direction of Katz.

All this is gone if they do this deal with Mr. Arrogant himself Daryl Katz.

Daryl may own the Oilers but lest we forget, Edmonton is the market, and that is managed/guided by the City of Edmonton. Edmonton is one of two teams left in the NHL that doesn't control their home facilities, and they still manged to be 18 million in the black. Imagine what could be if Katz could be removed from this new facility equasion. How long will it be till Katz starts holding his breath till he turns blue in the face? It's kinda refreshing to see Mr. Arrogant not get everything he wants.

#47 Truth
September 26 2012, 11:34AM

How come nobody thinks this is the city's fault?

We all know very little about what was actually agreed upon. If it was agreed that $6M/year would be coming to Katz by means of a casino or any other and now the city is saying no chance, why would Katz be to blame?

Of course he has to look after his own interests. Why, as a good Edmontonian, doesn't he buy the arena himself and hand out free tickets to all of us superfans. We deserve this team more than anyone, right? No, he is not stupid, nor is he a bad businessman. Nobody here would invest in something they are not confident will provide them a positive return. How is he different?

I buy cheap stocks that look promising. I don't buy stocks that don't. Katz buys a team and wants to make money, if the deal isn't going to make him money he'll go somewhere that will allow him to.

There are 2 years remaining on the lease agreement with Rexall. Sure, Rexall might be suitable for another 5 years or so, but why would Katz agree to re-up the lease when he knows 7 years (approx.) from now the team will have to be relocated. If the city isn't going to provide help on a $450M building now, what are the chances they help on the same building that costs $550M seven years from now.

If it was possible I would take out a loan right now to pay for the entire arena myself. I would agree to not take a cent of revenue from the actual goings on inside the arena if I was guaranteed the future tax and other associated revenues surrounding a more vibrant downtown.

I know of people buying property in the future arena area right now (that is currently a $*%#hole) for big money because of the arena deal. Are these high property costs due to the baccarat? This deal is a no-brainer, even if the city pays the full cost. Who cares if the billionaire makes money, maybe tickets costs will go down? Maybe we will be able to afford to keep Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and company for years.

#48 David S
September 26 2012, 11:38AM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Control David.

All this is gone if they do this deal with Mr. Arrogant himself Daryl Katz.

The profits the city gets is the tax revenue from the development over 35 years, conservatively estimated at $2 Billion and total potential of in excess of $5 Billion.

That's a whole lot of pothole fixin', bike paths and green space.

#49 DMan
September 26 2012, 11:45AM
Truth wrote:

How come nobody thinks this is the city's fault?

I don't think anyone has said the city isn't at fault for this mess... Personally, I don't believe the city has taken enough ownership of the problem... Not one member of city council is on the negotiating team... That's sad in IMO...

You'd really pay for the entire arena and not agree to take a portion of the generated revenue?? I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but your point is well taken... Personally, I do want the city to have a back-up plan to build a downtown arena should negotiations not make any real headway by October 17th... But now if the city assumes the entire risk - they need assume 100% control of the arena, the revenue generated from it on off Oiler nights, etc.

That's the art of negotiation... Right now (IMO), Katz wants the money and the assistance, but not the actual partnership that comes along with the investment.

#50 Truth
September 26 2012, 11:45AM
David S wrote:

That's a whole lot of pothole fixin', bike paths and green space.

End of story. When does construction start?