THE ROAD TO AVONLEA

Lowetide
September 26 2012 05:09PM

They're dragging out the 1972 Series again tonight, this time G8 (they should show G1 too, perhaps give an idea about why Canada had a bad case of tightened sphincter 40 years ago today) and we're hearing concern from Canadian television execs about "content" for the coming winter. Allow me to offer a few suggestions.

Show some Oakland Seals games, or even one! I actually SAW a few of them but it's been awhile. And the networks could throw in other long forgotten teams like the Minnesota North Stars, the Colorado Rockies, the Calgary Flames and the Kansas City Scouts.

Show a Bobby Orr game, or hell have an "Orr week" where we get to see the 1970 and 1972 clinching games and the final goodbye that lasted forever. Hell, I'd pay for that on DVD. The networks could also play back things like the 1971 SC final--that was Beliveau's final year, John Ferguson's too--and you know there would be an audience for the Flyer first cup victory and the Habs 1977 clincher too. Of course the Oilers era of excellence could be heavily relied upon to deliver ratings.

And what about the old WHA days? Hell man, those games have never been shown as far as I know, and cities like Winnipeg, Quebec and Edmonton would eat that stuff up. Or at least guys like me would buy in.

The AHL should go over well, too. I'd bet money Edmonton sport fans would watch the Barons every chance they get, and especially with all that young talent assigned there. I know it's a weird year, but I want to see  the Nuge  and Wanye may move to OKC if Eberle can't play here (I'm actually only half joking).

WHAT SAY YOU?

That's my list, what is your list? Let me know. Maybe I'll write the CBC and tsn.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Look, you and I both know that without input from us the CBC will be running "Road to Avonlea" or documentaries with titles like "If David Suzuki fell in a forest, would anybody hear?" We know too that tsn will run poker or fishing shows or European race car thingy's.

It is time to take back the fall and winter. I can't watch that dull SEL or 'dead eye Dick' win another poker tournament. Can you?

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
September 26 2012, 05:17PM

Calgary flames are long forgotten? Lol. As much as i despise the Flames, they're still pretty fresh in my mind!

#3 ubermiguel
September 26 2012, 05:38PM
Lowetide wrote:

It was a shot at Calgary Flames readers. :-)

I assumed you meant the Atlanta Flames, but well played sir.

#4 ubermiguel
September 26 2012, 05:46PM

I have never seen Orr, Howe or Richard play a whole game, I hear they were ok. I'd watch some of those.

I'd love some OKC games, 70s Canadiens, 2002 Olympics, any WJCs with Eberle. I'd even watch the 1967 SCFs, that'd be sure to get some ratings down east.

#6 oilers2k10
September 26 2012, 05:48PM

Just show all of canadas nhl teams farm teams..that and chl and im good

#7 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
September 26 2012, 05:57PM

As was stayed before, more chl please.

Id also like to see an old Montreal vs Detroit complete with the hatred described by Gordie Howe in his biography "Gordie". I was barely a teenager when i read that book but the stories were so good - like incredible - i still remember them.

Apparently M. Richard and Ted Lindsay didn't like each other very much.

#8 Zipdot
September 26 2012, 06:02PM

I grabbed a copy of the 1972 Summit Series the other day, and it purports to have the full game 8, but there are still short pieces missing.

But I watched that the other day and it proved that I could easily watch old hockey which I know the outcome of.

Although... Those Russians were a dang MACHINE. So, maybe not all old hockey can compare. :D

#9 Jesse
September 26 2012, 06:22PM

I vote OKC Barons! That's gonna be some great hockey.

#10 Reg Dunlop
September 26 2012, 06:43PM

I would like to see some of the old 'Showdown' intermission skill contests. I remember Mickey Redmond crushing those targets and Hardy Aastrom playing goal like a 3 year old.

#11 ubermiguel
September 26 2012, 06:47PM

I want to see the game that led to this picture in April 8 1952: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Henry_and_richard.jpg

#12 The Soup Fascist
September 26 2012, 07:02PM

First a Film Festival showing all of Keeanu Reeves Oscar winning performances. Followed by the Rita MacNeill and Friends concert in support of anorexia. Top it off with replays of Vancouver Canuck cup clinching games.

CRTC happy with Canadian content. Check. Programming problem solved L.T.

#13 Colin Henderson
September 26 2012, 07:59PM

Why not replay the whole 2005-06 Oilers season, game-by-game? Imagine the anticipation as we build up to that incredible post-lockout playoff drive. And imagine how it will lead into next year's dream season.

#14 oilers2k10
September 26 2012, 08:11PM

Replay the past three seasons of Oil Change with the NHL drafts to cap them off..oh yeah I would also like to see the Jesse Niinimaki, Dan Cleary, Jason Bonsignore, and Steve Kelly drafts..

#15 Serious Gord
September 26 2012, 08:39PM

A few years back the sports classics channel ran a game between the leafs and bruins that was Johnny bowers last shut out game (no mask to the end). The leafs won 2-0 but Orr was nothing less than sensational - easily the most Dominating performance I have ever seen. So much so that foster Hewitt picked Orr - not bower - as the first star.

Now that and other early Orr games would be worth watching...

#16 Calvin
September 26 2012, 08:40PM

There aren't many women that can pull off short hair. Emma Watson is part of that select group, as well as Halle Berry.

Also I concur. Oil Kings games will only go so far, and watching the kids light it up in OKC would be unreal.

#17 unca miltie
September 26 2012, 09:07PM

My vote would be to see some okc games. Should be an exciting team to watch. Heard Gregor on my way home talking about a possible road trip to see the Barons and some football. might be interesting.

I am guessing that not a lot of posters to this site saw the 72 series. I was working in the bank in the student union building in campus. We jammed the barber shop next door to watch the games that were played in Russia. Quite an experience for sure. Pretty loud when Henderson scores.

Two summers previous, I was playing baseball in Flin Flon and Bobby Clarke was one of our pitchers and Ken Baird was the second baseman. That is a normal Canadian story, most of us have played some sport or another with guy who played in the NHL.

#18 DSF
September 26 2012, 09:30PM
unca miltie wrote:

Played minor league ball against Reggie Cleveland in Cold Lake.

Not a chance.

#19 unca miltie
September 26 2012, 09:49PM

dsf..ever hear of Dave Pagan? played for the Yankees and the pirates..unhitable in little league in Nipawin area

#20 RexLibris
September 26 2012, 10:03PM

I remember them playing some Oilers playoff games, Philly was one, if I recall correctly, last time we had this little sabbatical.

I loved watching it and was taken aback at the amount of holding and grabbing by some Oilers players. I think I saw MacTavish actually piggyback on a player a good six feet across the blueline. Hilarious to watch and this was after watching years of the pre-lockout rules.

I'd love to see some old-timey stuff, the AHL and a heavy dose of CHL. The CHL seems an easy one from my perspective. I think CBC could get in on some of the tv rights and stay within budget and the coverage is inherently regional and thus should appeal to their programming philosophy.

You're right though, we'll probably just end up seeing far too much of Sarah Polley (that didn't come out right) this winter. I suppose we could try something else with all that spare time. I hear somebody has decided to publish new books this winter. Maybe one of them might be okay.

;-)

#21 Norm
September 26 2012, 10:15PM

I vote for some OKC.

#22 Devolution
September 26 2012, 10:46PM

I don't want to see those old games. I like to remember the players as the stars they were instead of what they look like in comparison with today's stars.

I don't think there are many players from 1967 that could play in the NHL now. Some yes, most, sadly no.

#23 OilClog
September 27 2012, 12:18AM

All of it.

#24 sizedoesmatter
September 27 2012, 05:11AM

I vote for Howie Meeker hockey tips.The year the Oilers upset the Habs In the playoffs.Gretzkys 50 goals In 39 game and a few Oiler Flame games from the Eighties when they used to actually have fights.

#25 Truth
September 27 2012, 07:26AM

Ideally, I would like to see Sportsnet play past playoff series for their regional teams in the spot where live coverage was to be. For example, SN pacific plays game 1 of the Kings v Canucks 2012 playoffs in the spot of the first live coverage, game 2 in the second, etc.

Then, as we all know there will only be one series in 2012 for the Canucks, after the 2012 games are over start with 2011 coverage. Same would go for SN west and so on. We already know SN west can divide their North and South as they used to do with PPV when Calgary could watch Oilers Flames games and Edm. had to pay for them.

I would also like to see one local network pick up as many OKC games as possible. You could count me in for viewership every game possible.

I also have no problems with showing past tournaments/series, loved that '87 Canada Cup.

#26 Archaeologuy
September 27 2012, 07:35AM

I for one am looking forward to episodes of The Littlest Hobo and The Mike Bullard Show.

#27 D
September 27 2012, 08:08AM

LT,

This should get me permanently banned from ON, but... I kind of like Road to Avonlea.

#28 rubbertrout
September 27 2012, 09:14AM

Mmmmmmm. Hermione.

Ten points to Griffindor.

#29 Jaw17
September 27 2012, 09:17AM

Please send that list into them! It could save the winter and my sanity when final exams are on!

#30 The Soup Fascist
September 27 2012, 09:46AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

I hope and pray you are referring to the Mike Bullard that Marty McSorely speared in the 'nads.

Because if it is the fat guy with the brushcut "comedian" that laughs at his own lame jokes I will be shopping for rope and a stool by December.

BTW, Lowetide - the guy by the AVCO cup with the VERY original "we're number 1 pose" is either Dave Lumley's long lost brother or Ogie Ogulthorpe. Great pic.

#31 Greg MC
September 27 2012, 10:05AM

I vote to cancel the CBC.

#32 Dman
September 27 2012, 10:17AM

I would like the documentary titled, "If a tree fell on David Suzuki, would anybody care??"

*Crumpling paper and throwing it in the garbage bin, rather than in recycling.

#33 B S
September 27 2012, 11:45AM

I'd love to see some of those old hockey games. The skill isn't always there, but the drive and compete make the current crop look like a bunch of pansies. I only ever see clips and highlights of guys like Richard, or Sawchuck. All this nonsense of Brodeur or Roy being the greatest, but Sawchuck' stats are comparable on all fronts, he has the hardware, and he did it without 12 inch pads, or a goalie mask.

Richard's my favourite hockey player (the Nuge's too I think), but I've never seen a full game of him. CBC should show some of that old stuff, have a Canadiens' week, then a Leaf's week, then Oilers, and maybe Winnipeg but no more.

#34 Bradley Black
September 27 2012, 12:19PM

All I am worried about is how to get OKC games. If I could get those somehow it would beb like the oilers never left. And hell they would be a really good team. Something I haven't seen from the oilers in some time. I bet the CBC could buy the TV rights for cheap and they would get a huge fan base.

#35 Nicktron
September 27 2012, 02:33PM

I think it's fairly obvious that the CBC should be cancelled and all funds should be directed to the new SQUEEE center AKA downtown arena.

#36 jake
September 27 2012, 02:44PM

Tommy Hunter, Benny Hill.

Or maybe a few Expos classics (Blue Monday etc).

Every game 7 SCF ever played.

Love the Orr idea, the only footage I've ever seen is that famous leaping goal.

A hilite package of every olympic gold medal winning performance in Canadain history in any sport (favorite is the 1996 4x100)....shouldn't take up too much time..lol.

#37 Ales Hallsky
September 27 2012, 02:50PM

My suggestion would be to just put up a sill image of the ESPN photo of Moreau, Sourey, and Cogs. I WOULD NEVER CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!

#38 Moses
September 27 2012, 04:00PM

They talk of possibly airing some KHL games. I would probably check out some of that.

#39 The Soup Fascist
September 27 2012, 06:53PM
Moses wrote:

The Red Sea thing was pretty cool. Any chance you can get Gary and Donald on the same page?

#40 Walter Sobchak
September 27 2012, 07:07PM

I would like the 1984 game the Oilers vs the CCCP, what a game! follow that up with the Oilers vs the Jets series in the 1990 playoffs what a great series....Mark Lamb!

while there at it show the 1984 Oilers first cup.

#41 Reg Dunlop
September 27 2012, 11:39PM

@The Soup Fascist

Ok, my best effort at naming the Jets by the Avco Cup: left to right Bill lesuk, Tom McVie(coach), Peter Sullivan, Joe Daley(not Oglethorpe), Lars-Erik Sjoberg, Kim Clackson, Scott Campbell, and Morris Luckowich.

#42 The Soup Fascist
September 28 2012, 06:50AM

Great Job Reg. Very impressive. You are obviously 1) a hockey historian and 2) old.

Sadly, I am only old.

Thanks, much.

#43 Milli
September 28 2012, 08:31AM

With Gary "THE WEASEL" Bettmans lock out looking more like it's gonna be a deep freeze, the planning has begun for a weekend trip to OK City!