OILERS MAKE CUTS

Jason Gregor
January 17 2013 12:30PM

The Oilers re-assigned Chris Vande Velde, Colten Teubert and Taylor Fedun to OKC today, but they also recalled Yann Danis.

Danis will actually be coming to Edmonton this time. On Sunday when the Oilers handed out their training camp roster, Danis' name was on the list, but the Oilers never recalled him until today.

Nikolai Khabibulin's groin is still a concern so the Oilers will play it safe and bring up Danis. They've also called up Tyler Bunz from Stockton to go to OKC, so I'm guessing Danis will dress Sunday in Vancouver.

Danis hasn't put up great numbers in OKC this year. He's 13-13-3 with a 2.99 GAA and a .905 SV%. If Khabibulin's injury is serious, I wonder if the Oilers look at claiming Henrik Karlsson, who was put on waivers today by the Calgary Flames.

Karlsson hasn't played much, only 26 appearances over two years with the Flames, but he might have more upside than Danis.

The Oilers don't play back-to-back until January 30th in Phoenix and the 31st in San Jose, so Devan Dubnyk should be able to play the first five games prior to those two. That gives Khabibulin another two weeks to recover.

If Dubnyk plays well I suspect he will start 38 of the 48 games this year, but the Oilers need to ensure they have a capable backup for the other ten. Khabibulin practiced for the past three days, and I didn't notice him favouring his groin at any point, but be recalling Danis it is clear they have some concerns regarding his health.

FINAL ROSTER

The Oilers have to declare their 23-man roster tomorrow afternoon. Andy Sutton and Ryan Jones will start on the IR, and I'm guessing Khabibulin will as well. That leaves 24 players remaining in camp.

The Oilers will either send Magnus Paajarvi to OKC, or put Theo Peckham on IR. If they put Peckham on a two-week conditioning stint he still counts against the 23-man roster, so he either goes on IR, or they put him on waivers today, or they send Paajarvi down. They could send both Paajarvi and Peckham down, with Peckham on conditioning stint, as well.

It does Paajarvi no good sitting in the pressbox, and considering he skated on the 5th line all week, I doubt he cracks the opening night roster. He isn't suited to play on the 4th line, and Teemu Hartikainen will get a look in the top-nine to start the season.

The Oilers have 7 healthy D-men ahead of Peckham, so I'd send Paajarvi down and Peckham  down to work work his way into game shape. The Oilers can't afford to lose Peckham on waivers, mainly because they don't have much, if any, NHL depth in the AHL, so put him on conditioning stint and re-assign Paajarvi.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#101 hellacious
January 17 2013, 09:38PM

@Jason Gregor

show me teams that have 21,22, 19 year olds on their first line. big deal i am sure thers couple that meet your criteria its not like we could not use the young legs. Smyth, Horc and Belanger are not exactly youthful...

If Peckham takes his spot on this years roster for a conditioning stint. well thats just sad. Krueger said he wants a 14 7 2 ratio. me thinks Pecks gets waived or something.

Injurys injurys injurys injurys Its really this simple gregor its going to happen and he is likely to see top 9 rather soon. you know it I know it, its inevitable. He has spoke about what his role is this year and so has Krueger. Him playing this role is not detrimental to his development so why suggest it???

Love is a big word and not to be assumed. I am not blind I have glasses and I see his faults like how he almost always drives the net on his backhand and goes shortside when he should be pulling it forehand more and going five hole or far side when he gets the room. And he gets that room which makes it even more agravating. but i also see the good stuff. I see him being a solid two way player that puts up 50 or so points in his prime and he just needs to pay his dues in the NHL.

#102 hellacious
January 17 2013, 09:40PM

I would also trade him in a hart beat if the deal was right,

#103 Romulus' Apotheosis
January 17 2013, 09:41PM
DSF wrote:

Respectfully, your Honour, if ruling this conversation trivial, you run the risk of setting a dangerous precedent that could lead to the end of Oiler Nation.

true enough...

I commute the sentence.

After all "idle talk" is an essential part of our being,

Heidegger, Being and Time, §35

#104 Walter Sobchak
January 17 2013, 09:46PM
Harlie wrote:

Have you ever heard of making a trade? Duby goes down, Khabbi sucks, then make a trade. It's not that difficult. It's not like we don't have assets to trade.

Does it rain every single day on your house? Nothing but doom and gloom and google this and that and try to stir crap up. You've become such a bore.

Sad cuz I liked your posting on HFBoards but you've really gotten annoying.

The only problem with that Harlie is then the Oilers, specifically Tambellini, Is then he's trading from a point of weakness and the cost goes up.

I think we all can agree the Oilers need a NHL back up, why the Oilers don't see it I have no idea? Maybe they think Khabibulin will stay healthy?

I don't believe ether Denis or Khabibulin can be counted on if Dubnyk goes down.

#105 Dog Train
January 17 2013, 09:53PM

I wonder if the Oilers might sign another depth goaltender. Obviously, the hope is that Dubnyk will play well and stay healthy but we will still need solid goaltending on his rare nights off. On top of that, an OKC team that is suddenly goal-ridden with most of their big scorers now in the NHL will rely on two raw, unproven pro prospects as long as Danis is up with the big club.

#106 Wäx Män Riley
January 17 2013, 10:56PM
hellacious wrote:

Why do people respond like that. I have not been under any rocks or been out of touch. I am not a pessimist so sue me. You don't know me. BTW if I ever had DSF agree with me I would be very ashamed.

Since when are PK Players all gritty and tough take a look around the NHL buddy players who can skate and have a good sticks are on the PK. Sounds like Paajarvi to me but its hard to tell from being under this rock.

I get it guys are spoiled with Halls and Eberle's production then look at MPS and point fingers and say no good. But this is a mistake because paajarvi is a NHLer. Ask the coach ask other GM's who would never send him to the AHL. and the guy that did last year got fired for a reason. One of those reasons was his handling of MPS. This is fact.

The team Needs him to draw penalty's he is hands down our best guy for that but you ignore it and make unfounded statements about his future that just don't make sense. Get real MPS is not going to the SEL why would you even say it and why would DSF agree??? And I am out touch... Whatever.

The argument isn't that he is no good, it's that he isn't good enough for the NHL.

Not yet.

He has great tools, but at 21 he could use some top minutes in the minors. It isn't a bad thing.

#107 seeham
January 18 2013, 12:04AM

I'm done with Peckham, I think he takes the fact that he's a professional athlete for granted. he's out of shape (even though, from what i understand, the oilers hired him a trainer during the lockout to get him in shape...), his commitment and heart away from the game is what makes me worry... his injuries concerned me before (not his fault, hope that he is passed these) but to me it seems like he's taking his professional athlete status for granted.

#108 K_Mart
January 18 2013, 12:17AM

Teddy Peck man had his shot and he took it for granted by not putting in a consistent effort to come prepared. I could care less about where he ends up now as long as it isn't on the oilers' roster.

Our top nine will likely see at least one significant injury this season but that is not reason enough to keep Paaj up. Harti, Smytty, and Jones are all ahead of him on the 'fill-in for top six when needed' role. Can't imagine Paajarvi staying up.

While history has proven that we will suffer at minimum one significant injury to our top six, for once I feel like we have the depth to remain afloat.

#109 Rocket
January 18 2013, 01:00AM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

true enough...

I commute the sentence.

After all "idle talk" is an essential part of our being,

Heidegger, Being and Time, §35

Whoa! Did this blog just become existentialist?

Nice reference!

Anyway, Peckham has been iffy for years. I like his physicality but he is out of position ALL the time.

Seriously, where did he learn how to play defence? I like the guy but it might be time to cut & run with him.

Didn't The Flyers have an interest in him a couple years ago?