ODDS AND SODS

Lowetide
January 19 2013 12:26PM

The NHL is back today, with action for most clubs. The Oilers are on the outside looking in, due to playing in a smaller television market and not possessing a 'marquee' team. I expect it'll be the last time this happens for several years.

As entertainers, the current Oilers have some outstanding talent. However, it is somewhat a new development and the club is easily cast aside on opening night for Vancouver and their Cup contender. I get that, hell Canuck fans had to endure Oiler games all the damn time during the glory years (although the networks were doing everyone a favor by keeping those vomit V uniforms off the national networks).

However, these kids are a blast to watch and a thrill a minute. If the NHL wants to max out on their product, the talents that are Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov will have the opportunity to play on the biggest stage the NHL has to offer: Saturday night, outdoor games, playoffs.

Its only a matter of time.

BISHOP!

Plenty of chatter about the Ottawa Senators having useful goalies three, and the fact there are some callers from the West. The 403 area code is apparently interested, along with the 780. I think the Oilers have the more pressing need, what with Nikolai Khabibulin celebrating his 40th birthday with a trip to the IR.

The Flames have two AHL goalies shooting the lights out (Danny Taylor and Barry Brust) along with Miika Kiprusoff who was born when Gerald Ford was US President and may outlast Obama at the top. That's a helluva run.

The Oilers have no such goalie heritage in their recent past. Since Roloson left its been a combination of Nikolai Khabibulin stories involving injury, Jeff Deslauriers and finally Devan Dubnyk. Since depth is a word other teams consider important, why can't the Oilers have two good goalies in their 20s? Why can't we have nice things, too?

I'd love to see a Ben Bishop trade.

OKC!

It's a lesson we learn each generation: it doesn't matter where (or if) you're drafted, once you hit pro hockey its the results that matter. Last night, the OKC Barons dominated long stretches of the game and much of it came from ECHLers Toni Rajala and Kristians Pelss.Rajala had a two point night, including a wonderful passing display between himself, Tyler Pitlick and Ryan Martindale.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

There are so many stories to follow, top to bottom. The NHL takes center stage beginning today, but there are so many interesting stories bubbling under. Stay tuned! And GO OILERS!

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Oilersman
January 19 2013, 12:29PM

Just want to say this is the first read of the day for me.

#2 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
January 19 2013, 12:51PM

And so it begins...

Fistric a healthy scratch; we're probably too big and too slow anyways.

Paaravi in the press-box; wasting away, its not like he can still learn anything in OKC

A lot of what hinges on a good or bad season comes from our rookie Head Coach. These two roster moves are ones that I would have expected from previous regimes.

Maybe R.K. needs a motivational speech from R.K.

{to Ralph} "You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair."

#3 Mac962
January 19 2013, 12:51PM

Yeah, we got hosed for now. I am sure the country from coast to coast Can't wait to watch the Ducklings play on HNIC. Gimme a break. It should have been Oil-Nucks in a back to back or even the Flames. Wait a minute...what did i just say ? I think i just threw up in my mouth.

GO OILERS !! 28 MINUTES...SENS-JETS. Canadian Hockey !!

Go Jets. You have one more season of me saying that, then i will hate everything about your team, your town and your girlfriends...ok, maybe not them.

#4 speeds
January 19 2013, 01:11PM

LT:

Kiprusoff's play has tailed off over the past few seasons, I'm not sure what CAL thinks of their other goalies for the future, but Bishop would be a nice add for them as well.

I like Bishop, and he could make a fool of me for saying this, but I'd be hesitant to move a 2nd for him and I think it would probably take at least that to get him who knows where they'll finish but both 2nd rounders could well be in the 31-45 range, pretty good picks in a deep draft.

@Lowetide

LT wrote:"As for Kipper, he's Rasputin to me. I'll believe it when he's absolutely done."

There was a Finnish Goalie, in Calgary long ago. He was big and strong,and his eyes a flaming glow... Most shooters looked at him, with terror and with fear...etc.

#7 SrCain
January 19 2013, 02:15PM

I'm stunned and pissed that Penguins vs Flyers isn't on tv right now! wtf!! someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

#8 positivebrontefan
January 19 2013, 02:30PM
SrCain wrote:

It's on NBC

#9 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
January 19 2013, 02:35PM
SrCain wrote:

It's on NBC east, but only if your provider switches the feed. I have shaw direct, so I'm stuck with two feeds of kings-hawks. Apparently Bell has made the switch or so says a bragging buddy.

It's not even listed in NHL center ice, which is weird, you'd think every game would be on that package today, especially if they want us to coff up 50 bucks for the rest of the season- after the preview period!

#10 David S
January 19 2013, 02:49PM

Hey you guys! There's some decent hockey on my TV right now. HD TOO!

Anybody know what league this is? They're pretty good.

#11 BJammin
January 19 2013, 02:50PM

Potter in instead of Fistric against van......not that I'm against RK, cause I like him, but c'man!!! Potter is a black hole of uselessness. I was really looking forward to seeing Fistric destroy one or both of the Sedin sisters.

On a brighter note, the NHL is back!!!

GO OILERS!!!

#12 MAC962
January 19 2013, 02:57PM
BJammin wrote:

On a brighter note, the NHL is back!!!

GO OILERS!!!

Harry stinkin Potter instead of Fistric ??? It better be because he needs more time or is injured. Bad Call already Ralph, but the first one is free and you are the coach... but a healthy scratch ? gimme a break.

Better sit YAK as well, we have 82 games...ohh wait..its 48

wtf Ralph, explain this move to the fans.

#13 BJammin
January 19 2013, 03:16PM

MAC962: I know man...I thought what this team needed was a big, strong, defensive d man that could clear the net and play on the PK...Potter can't do ANY of that, and he's terrible 5 on 5...and he doesn't even play on the PP anymore...so all in all, he's useless.

again on another note: Does anybody else wish that Pierre McDouche would just get hit by a puck and have a concussion that ends his season?

#14 book¡e
January 19 2013, 03:24PM

Let's not fire the coach yet. Fisterik is a 'sometimes' player. He got to camp late and may be behind the curve right now.

As for MPS, he shouldn't be sitting the whole season, but one game sitting in the NHL won't hurt him.

#15 BJammin
January 19 2013, 03:26PM
book¡e wrote:

I like RK, and I think that he will be a great coach, and I do agree that Fistric is a 'sometimes' player...but Potter is a 'never' player in my mind.

#16 TOM//MTL
January 19 2013, 03:42PM

Playing Potter contradicts the theory of having a puck mover and a gritty D-man on each pairing. IMO Potter's skill set has become redundant on this team. Good 7 or 8 option, but starting 6?? Brutal. I was also looking forward to Fistric roughing up a few greasy Canucks.

#17 michael
January 19 2013, 03:44PM

I too would rather see Fistric play against the canucks. A little more uph to put the lean on the smaller 3/4 lines of the Canucks. watching the Sens play has put this thought into my head. How long till Theo Peckham is a Senator. They need a little of what he brings. Bishop? Also Potter would be a showcase kind of guy for me early in the season. Play him a few games to pique the interest in him a little. BTW.LA losing 4-0 at home in the second period. Does that not surprise any of us with brains. The Kings were a marginal team scoring goals last season. what makes the pundits think the'll be better this year. My belief is that the KIngs Stanley CUP hang over lasts the season. They finish 11th in the conference. They were the right team at the right time last season. This season it won't be so easy to slide under the radar. Oilers win in Van City 4-3.

#18 BJammin
January 19 2013, 03:47PM

@michael

Kings look like they could use Kopitar right about now...

#19 TOM//MTL
January 19 2013, 03:49PM

Fistric - 250+ NHL games played Potter - 70

If Fistric is a 'sometimes' player Potter is a "rarely" player.

#21 Wanyes bastard child
January 19 2013, 04:00PM

Wasn't Potter playing in Europe as well? Maybe hes more "game" ready right now then Fistric is and thats why Chucky went with him eh.

#22 Smokey
January 19 2013, 04:02PM
speeds wrote:

LT:

Kippers play has been steller . Last year Calgary was a Cosrsi nightmare, outshot almost on nightly basis. His play tailed off as Calgary of course could not make a final push. The year before the Flames started horrible, Kipper got hot as hell and that team almost made the playoffs. Kippers been great, hes delayed Calgary's inevitable rebuild.

#23 Smokey
January 19 2013, 04:09PM

Ayone watching the Jets and Sens. That Scheifle kid looks slow and soft. The kid got smarts, but for the love of Pete a guz that big should not fall so much. They should of take Sean C. from Philly.

#24 TOM//MTL
January 19 2013, 04:26PM

Feels nice to be pissed off at lineups again instead of being pissed off at the rich Delta Bravo's who ripped half the season.

I'm still pissed that they ripped half the season.

#25 DSF
January 19 2013, 04:33PM

@michael

Phhhhtttt...

After acquiring Carter, the Kings G/G went up by 1 GPG.

Jumping on the results of ONE game as support for your theory is ridiculous.

#26 Walter Sobchak
January 19 2013, 04:34PM

Hockey is awesomeness!! Superawesomefantastic!

LT

I would not do a second for Bishop, but would the Oilers?

I completely agree that Bishop would be a huge score, but a what cost?

#27 Mikey
January 19 2013, 04:55PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Hockey is awesomeness!! Superawesomefantastic!

LT

I would not do a second for Bishop, but would the Oilers?

I completely agree that Bishop would be a huge score, but a what cost?

Peckham + Omark?

#28 jefff
January 19 2013, 04:56PM

#29 Walter Sobchak
January 19 2013, 05:03PM
Mikey wrote:

Peckham + Omark?

Are you kidding?

#30 Mac962
January 19 2013, 05:09PM
BJammin wrote:

You read my mind dude, i was watching and hoping Mcwierdo took one off the lips for 1 dozen zipper marks... ha ha

There must be something with Fist...Potter over him makes no sense.

#31 Joel
January 19 2013, 05:15PM

Best thing for the Oilers is to lose maybe they will fire Tambellini and Lowe. And then start putting a team together.

Added bonus high draft pick, maybe they will pick a Dman or Center first.

#32 michael
January 19 2013, 05:19PM

@DSF And that is pretty much got that goal today did'nt they DSF? They went from scoring a 1.6 goals a game to 2.6. That is is not going to win a lot of games this year I suspect.

#33 Oiler Al
January 19 2013, 05:21PM

I know the games are over, but just in case some of the fans were wondering about broadcasting, I have a Bell dish... Pitts/Philly game was on NBC, as well as on Center Ice. The Chicago/L.A. game was also on another NBC, channel...[ not sure if it was on Cent. Ice.]

#35 BJammin
January 19 2013, 05:25PM
Joel wrote:

Added bonus high draft pick, maybe they will pick a Dman or Center first.

I'm pretty sick of losing already, we have more than enough high draft picks in the lineup already...how about instead of that, we try and trade somebody or sign somebody in the offseason to fill the gaps we need (big body with some talent up front, another top 4 D man)...it's time for this team to go forward, not back.

#36 Walter Sobchak
January 19 2013, 05:54PM
Lowetide wrote:

I don't know. However, adding Bishop takes the big free agent signing/acquiring a big fish goalie option away from Tambellini.

I agree, might the Oilers use one of the two second round picks go after Comrie or Fucale if he make's it to the second round?

A lot of holes to fill.

#38 Smokey
January 19 2013, 07:08PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Are you kidding?

I think Bishop is woth a B grade prospect or late first or early second pick. His value hasn't gone up I don't think. Hes proven nothing.at an NHL level to warrant much more.

#40 jefff
January 19 2013, 07:33PM

@ Joel

You need a 2 way center and a puck moving Dman that can play D.

It seems to be a formula. All these Centers will win or be nominees for the Selke trophy.

This formula has not been part of the Oiler philosophy.

Lowe and Tambo philosophy is draft small forwards in the first round.

And Oiler fans don't wonder why Gagner cannot be the #2 center with RNH.

Keep Gagner the #2 center and Oilers will never win the Cup

Backes Pietrangelo

Toews Keith

Datsyuk Lidstrom

Crosby Letang

Bergeron Chara

Anze Kopitar Doughty

#41 Clyde Frog
January 19 2013, 07:51PM

@jefff

It's strange you mention the need of a 2-way centre align that with Gagner, then provide a list of all the 1st line centres....

Hrmmm, interesting.

Are we really going to start the debate of what the difference between a 2nd line centre and 3rd line centre is?

FIRST thing your 2nd liner needs to do is PRODUCE, why? Because, they eat up softer minutes and provide that SECONDARY scoring teams always need.

If your 2nd line centre can do other things, thats great! But the number of 2nd line centres that can even produce at Gagner's current level is a lot smaller than Oiler fans generally understand.

Let alone the number of 2nd liner centres that have grit AND can produce like he does...

Le sigh..

#42 TrueOiler
January 19 2013, 07:54PM

Heres a crazy Idea

With Getzlaf and Perry being UFAs this offseason could you see one or both of them traded at the deadline if ANA struggles? If oilers in playoff postion come deadline,deal for Getzlaf? Ganer, Omark, 1st pick? To much to little?

This is more of an offseason deal but I dont see the oilers winning the getzlaf lotto.

#43 positivebrontefan
January 19 2013, 07:57PM

Everyone quit your bitching! We have the lineups for the first game and already we're picking in the lottery?

On another note, watching the Pitt, Philly game and the Rangers, Boston game and I realized how right Struds was in the previous article. We need more grit in our top 9 or we are sceeeeeeerewed!!!.

#44 Dog Train
January 19 2013, 09:56PM

There's plenty of time for being pessimistic later. Right now, we are undefeated! Hope springs eternal.

#45 Mikey
January 19 2013, 09:56PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Are you kidding?

Ok then, what deal would you make? Using what we have and what OTT would need.

#46 Johe
January 19 2013, 09:59PM

Schneider. Hehe.

So who starts tomorrow?

#47 Mikey
January 19 2013, 10:02PM
TrueOiler wrote:

Heres a crazy Idea

Way to much for a guy that will be a UFA. Maybe Omark and a pic. Does that deal get done? No probably not. Then walk away from it.

#48 Oilfan69
January 19 2013, 10:16PM

sweet baby jesus , watching this Vancouver game makes me sooooo happy :)

#49 John F
January 19 2013, 10:23PM

I'm cheering for Vancouver tonight . Since I'm an Oiler fan

#50 Walter Sobchak
January 19 2013, 10:38PM
Mikey wrote:

Ok then, what deal would you make? Using what we have and what OTT would need.

The Senators don't want our garbage for a potential #1 goalie, yes he's unproven, however he has showed that he can play at the very least as a back up.

Omark is playing in the Swiss league, enuf said. Peckham has shown his lack of commitment to his team, to the league and more important to himself.

As an opposing GM would you take the risk? You have to do much better then this.

I don't care who goes where, that's not up to me but I will say this, the Oilers don't have a lot of chips to play with that teams want without hurting themselves.