SHOCK AND AWE AND DRAFT

Wanye
January 23 2013 12:02PM

Rumours abounded on twitter that the Oilers were giving away a free beer for everyone at the home opener against the Sharks. When we read this amazing news our eyes bugged out of our head like in that scene in the Mask where something happens to Jim Carrey and then Cameron Diaz does a sexy dance.

Yes, it was exactly like that.

FREE BEER

As people lined up before the game to see the frozen jerseys and the deep discounts on merchandise, we got sent a few pics on the tweet tweet of the delicious certificates. Our main man Dustin Terpstra was getting it in and proving it with pics as seen in the tasty shot above.

We find it shocking - SHOCKING - that the Oilers correctly deduced what a wonderful gesture free beer would be to the fans.It must have been quite the undertaking with think tanks, market research and costly focus groups.

Oilers senior marketing executive: "DERP Now what do people in Edmonton like?"

Oilers VP marketing and market research: "UH BEER? (DERP)"

Oilers senior district marketing senior manager: "It's settled then free beers for all."

(meeting concludes at a cost to Katz of $12,300)

They are damned lucky that it was cold out or the ensuing riots that could have resulted would have been tremendous. Still we like this post lockout Oilers. Hockey at Hawrelak, Free Beer on opening night. A fella could get used to this sort of treatment.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE LOSS?

We can totally understand the people that were freaking out last night after the loss. We aren't a qualified NHL analyst but even we know that you generally won't bounce back from letting in a tidy 6 goals in the opening frame. Still, Yakupov potted his first NHL goal and we all got in a good roar for that one.

And then J. Schultz aka The New Scott Niedermayer sniped too for the first time in front of Rexall Faithful. And Jordan Eberle was there with a pair of assists and his newly flowing hair. And the Nuge was present whirling about. And Hall et al. It really wasn't all that bad.

All told we would trade a 0-82 season for a lockout in a heart beat. Finally we can put to rest all of the legal talkery and teeth grinding and get back to yelling at the stupid Oilers for their STUPID BLOCKHEADED PLAY I MEAN COME ON HORCOFF WTF ARE YOU DOING?*

*sighs happily*

DRAFT TALK

The first annual NationDraft came out of the gates with a bang and has since fallen off a cliff. We know that by making it open to Alberta residents only we have limited things. For the next go round we will buy National prizes and this will increase the entries. But as of this morning we are sitting at just over 400 teams - well back of our goal of 1000 teams for our inaugural push.

Now this is good news wrapped in a coat of bad news.

The good news: with 100 prizes sitting here at NationHQ you currently have a 1 in 4 chance of winning your share of over $10,000 in prizes. That is pretty bloody good if you ask us. The bad news: We are trying to make this a fundraiser for the MS Bike Tour and the wonderful folks at the Inner City Children's Program. Less entries mean less donations.

Do your ol' pal Wanye a favour and sign up for a team. Yes, this may mean putting your hectic workday schedule aside and fooling around on your computer for a few minutes. But it will be worth it. Only $20 a team.

Many thanks *MWAH*

*Actual beef

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Charming Alcoholic
January 23 2013, 12:07PM

I double-fisted two beers last night, because I'm awesome like that. Plus, I needed to forget the first period.

#2 Toro
January 23 2013, 12:19PM

Can we have 2 entries? I'm doubting some of my picks now that we a few games in lol

#3 Toro
January 23 2013, 12:20PM

Oh and 6 goals on 17 shots for Dubnyk just brutal don't know what took Kreugar so long to pull him.

#4 Phixieus666
January 23 2013, 12:30PM
Toro wrote:

That's easy, it wasn't really his fault. When three of your guys are all concentrating on one opposition leaving two uncovered guys right in front of the net, you rarely prevent a goal.

#6 Spydyr
January 23 2013, 12:33PM

Beer is a gateway alcohol after a few beers you start drinking whisky, vodka or rum or worse yet teqilla or jag.

Just say no..........to hangovers.

#7 Phixieus666
January 23 2013, 12:35PM
Wanye wrote:

Lol of course you can! It was tough with Dubnyk a few of those goals weren't his fault imho

Nope not at all his fault. Kruger should have called a time out after the first two or even the third goal went in. If I was Dubby I'd be tearing the guys an new A$$ hole in the locker room over that crap.

#8 Phixieus666
January 23 2013, 12:39PM

Every team needs a psycho. In the early days it was Lowe and Mess. We need that now. Enter the crazy Finn.

#9 BRHLBryce
January 23 2013, 12:50PM

Can I register on behalf of relatives still in Alberta?

BTW went to the Aves-Kings game here last night. The Oil will expose the Kings 3rd pairing, they were awful last night.

#10 David S
January 23 2013, 12:54PM
Phixieus666 wrote:

Krueger said in his post-game presser that he had TV timeouts (which you don't know about if you only watch games on TV). They give you as much time to regroup as an official timeout. And you get more of 'em (three-four per game).

#11 Spurzey
January 23 2013, 01:00PM

RK should have called a t/o after the 3rd goal and if that didn't stop the bleeding he should have pulled Dubie after 4 or 5.

#12 916oiler
January 23 2013, 01:07PM

I live in California. Open that $h!t up Wanye!!

#13 OilerLand
January 23 2013, 01:09PM

Pat LaForge "we can't give discounts on alcohol, obviously"

Reality: "FREE BEERZ 4 ALL"

#14 Dustin Terpstra
January 23 2013, 01:10PM

That's me that's me!!!!! I finished with a new Rexall record of 8 free beers and 4 paid ones! I don't remember the 4 pain ones..........or the game did we win?

#15 David S
January 23 2013, 01:12PM
Dustin Terpstra wrote:

*internet high-fives Dustin*

#16 book¡e
January 23 2013, 01:32PM

Wanye, before you guilt us into buying, can you tell us what portion of the proceeds go to charity vs somebody's pockets (your pockets I presume?).

When I hear someone say a 'portion' of the proceeds, I get worried as $0.05 is a portion of $20,000.

#17 book¡e
January 23 2013, 01:42PM
Dustin Terpstra wrote:

You know, I never understood guys who went to hockey games to get so pissed that they don't follow the game. I know that with free beers, etc, that it can happen by 'accident', but some people are always like that.

When I was in my 20s, I knew lots of guys who would spend $40 on a ticket and other $40-50 on beer and essentially miss half the game. I just think there are so many better places to drink. To be fair, most of them turned out to be alcoholics and have since somewhat wrecked their lives. Anyway, it just seems like a really stupid place to get drunk at (relative to bars, parties, or pretty much anywhere else).

#18 Sanaa Montana
January 23 2013, 01:48PM

Crowd at Rexall sucks. About 10-15% of attendants cheer and try to on the regular bases, the rest just sit around like a bunch of fairweather females.

The only thing you hear is "LETS GO OILERS" at most random of times.

I don't know what makes us good fans. The fact that we'll turn out no matter what because we have nothing else to pledge our allegiance to? Some would go as far as to say that we are the best fans in hockey. But comparing us to fans of Raiders, Seahawks, Liverpool, Roma-makes me wonder what kind of fans we really are.

Fans should bring the atmosphere to games, not just money.

#19 Derp
January 23 2013, 01:59PM

I went Rexall last night, did the Oilers play? Must of gone home.with some burly chick , and I can't find my pants...

#20 madjam
January 23 2013, 02:06PM

Is it the coaching that prevents the players from not showing up till the second period in two successive games ? Defence still abysmal overall ? Lots of fire power , but sadly lacking in size and grit ? Dubie exposed ? Is Whitney finished ? Big teams expose big weaknesses of which there still seems to be plenty of . Our team shouldn't take any club for granted right from first drop of puck . Where is our game plan in first periods ?

#21 Pucker
January 23 2013, 02:06PM

Free beer = long line ups at the can (and long line ups for the free beer)

The North Saskatchewan must have rose a couple feet last night.

#23 match16
January 23 2013, 02:38PM

@Sanaa Montana

The crowd was pretty good until about 10 minutes into the first...

#24 Phixieus666
January 23 2013, 02:39PM
David S wrote:

Score board would seem to disagree.

#25 chibbs
January 23 2013, 02:47PM

I've tried to sign up but it doesn't like my credit card. I think there are at least a few people with this problem. If it gets fixed I will definitely sign up!

#26 Archaeologuy
January 23 2013, 02:52PM
Wanye wrote:

Because we have no idea how many people will enter this thing we also have no idea how much money we will be giving to charity.

There are a host of costs associated with this - development, design buying prizes etc. These costs will have to be recouped and final donation numbers will be posted.

"Lining my pockets" isn't the goal here my chum.

Whatever. You cant live like a King in your palatial San Francisco Murder House apartment without first taking our Draft monies.

You sold out, Wanye. It used to be about the music, but now you're just a slave to the man.

#27 Archaeologuy
January 23 2013, 02:53PM
chibbs wrote:

It happened to me, but I managed to sign up yesterday.

#28 Pucker
January 23 2013, 03:01PM
madjam wrote:

Madjam !! welcome back! I've missed you. You're like that timely commercial during a horror movie. (though I don't watch commercials anymore).

#29 book¡e
January 23 2013, 05:59PM
Wanye wrote:

"Lining my pockets" isn't the goal here my chum.

Ok, so the point is that proceeds - costs = Donation to Charity. Great. I just saw the phrase 'Partial Proceeds go to Charity' and wondered if that was "Whatever is left after costs and buying Wanye a gold shirt goes to charity".

BTW, are you legally limited to Alberta residents? If not, you should just open it up and tell everyone that if they win they are stuck with Alberta based prizes and they can give them to someone from Edmonton or donate them back, or whatever. Most of the non-residents here would pay to play just for fun and bragging rights.

#30 book¡e
January 23 2013, 06:00PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Incorrect, once he was a slave to the man, now he is the man.