THE CBA: VERGE OF A DONE DEAL?

Robin Brownlee
January 05 2013 04:57PM

It's completely understandable that a great many of NHL fans have taken a "Whatever, just tell me when it's done" stance toward updates about ongoing CBA negotiations (now that there actually are some) as days have turned into weeks and weeks have turned into months. Fair enough.

With information about what's been going on between Gary Bettman and NHL owners and Donald Fehr and the NHLPA at a premium, disinterest and contempt for the whole drawn-out process abounds, even as the parties involved and reporters have hunkered down in New York with a drop-dead date – Jason Gregor has been saying Jan. 11 for months – approaching.

That said, and admitting I loathe to do so, having mostly resisted the urge to document every development and non-development, it looks and sounds to me as if Bettman and Fehr have made substantial progress this weekend and are grinding their way toward a deal. I'm clearly not alone.

Former player Jeff O'Neill went as far as to make a bogus announcement on Twitter today that a deal was done and that training camp would open Jan. 12. I'm assuming, of course, it was O'Neill's account and that he wasn't hacked again, as he claimed after making stupid remarks about Bettman weeks ago.

Done deal? Not yet, but there have been enough snippets of optimism from observers far more plugged in than O'Neill, like Bill Watters of Sportsnet, to cite one example, this afternoon to suggest the sides are down to the details, and the devils contained within.

WHAT THEY SAY

First, here's what we got from O'Neill in the early afternoon:

BREAKING- is over. Camp opens Jan 12. 50 game season.

Then, from Brett Hedican:

I'm hearing that the is over! Let's get back 2 watching the greatest gm on earth! & let's not allow this to ever happen again!

I'm guessing that if a deal does get done, it won’t be O'Neill or Hedican who breaks the story. Here's what Watters and others had to say in the wake of O'Neill's tweet as meeting continued in New York.

Sources confirm that is just messing with people on twitter. He's good at it!

Relieved to hear from the PA@RealKyper that there could be a deal within 24 hrs.What happened to the Disclaimer?Have the players taken over

Definitely still a few significant issues that need resolution, but NHL and NHLPA also trying to hammer it out

Making progress. Not tonite but will be done. Motivation is to play more than 48 games..nice change in whats motivating each side.

I know. I know. "Whatever . . ." But, given what we're hearing, it might not be long until somebody – likely in the most frantic thumb-typing display in Twitter history in the rush to be first – does tell us that it's done. Mercy, already. I hope so.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Wanyes bastard child
January 05 2013, 05:02PM

Me too!

#2 John Chambers
January 05 2013, 05:33PM

TreenasOil will almost certainly break the story.

#3 A-Mc
January 05 2013, 05:50PM

All i want is hockey. Id be content watching all the okc games, but nhl is more accessible so.... Bring on the season!!

#4 Walter Sobchak
January 05 2013, 07:03PM

It would be nice to see 50 games. Now that the WJC is over this needs to get done quick.

#5 pelhem grenville
January 05 2013, 07:05PM

...gawd I always loved that picture of Oswald getting shot in Dallas...brilliant... historic!

#6 Czar
January 05 2013, 07:06PM

If the announcement of a new CBA is followed by the resignation of Fehr and The Count then it was almost worth it!

#7 pelhem grenville
January 05 2013, 07:13PM

...gawd on second look ...that's Dreger in the behind Oswald... U cheeky bugger Brownlee

#8 Robin Brownlee
January 05 2013, 07:52PM
pelhem grenville wrote:

The easy choice as #Dregerface winner from the other night in NYC

#9 Robin Brownlee
January 05 2013, 07:58PM

This tweet from Kevin Dupont at the Boston Globe as of about 7:25 p.m.

Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD

Vet agent: deal as good as done, league now taking it to final hour, grabbing what's left to take off table.

Oilers domination to follow!

#Lockout2013

#12 Wanyes bastard child
January 05 2013, 08:21PM

@Robin Brownlee

I believe Lowetide has dubbed her "bra and panties".

#13 Johe
January 05 2013, 09:00PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

I believe Lowetide has dubbed her "bra and panties".

That's an odd way to refer to Milhouse ;)

#14 Robin Brownlee
January 05 2013, 09:35PM

Still going . . .

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger

Marathon in Manhattan continues. Told lots of caucusing (good word) and the bargaining process remains strong.

#15 K_Mart
January 05 2013, 09:37PM

My Bday is Jan. 12.. What a gift this could be!

#16 Czar
January 05 2013, 09:44PM

TSN reporting the Wild pulled Granlund from the Aeros pregame warm up to prevent the chance of injury.So is the end of the lock out that close or is the kid that fragile?

#17 Cheap Shot Charlie
January 05 2013, 10:10PM

I'll believe it when I actually see a game on the ice. I think the details that both sides should be discussing is how much of a severance package both Fehr and Bettman should get. I can wait to see hockey without those guys!

#18 EHH Team
January 05 2013, 10:44PM

@Czar

don't tell DSF ...it'll throw him into coniptions

#19 Where's Your Towel
January 05 2013, 11:07PM

I thought it was "Fussy Britches"

#20 Reality Check to the head
January 05 2013, 11:30PM

Honestly, if the game loses the season I gain a bunch of money (from tickets and rexall moonshine), and time with my family.

If the game comes back, I will watch. However jaded I feel, i look forward to watching these young kids learn to fly together.

So, to me it is a win, win. That is the truth for a number of NHL fans out there.

#21 smiliegirl15
January 05 2013, 11:54PM

For the love of God, just sign the freaking papers and let's get back to hockey! I miss it!

#22 m3sh
January 06 2013, 02:14AM

I won't believe it till I see it. But this gives me slight pause and a glimmer of hope.

#23 Puritania
January 06 2013, 02:47AM

Jeff O'Neill is a dink. Apparently he "trolls" people on twitter a lot. I'm sure he thinks he is downright hilarious.

#24 Johe
January 06 2013, 03:39AM

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's play!

#25 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 03:43AM

Lets Go Oilers.!..

#26 mlcsellil
January 06 2013, 03:43AM

FINALLY, HOCKEY HAS RETURNED TO THE FANS!!!!!!!!!

#27 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 03:43AM

Lets Go Oilers.!..

#28 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 03:46AM

Score a goal...............

Score a goal......................

Score a goal...........Score a goal.......Score a goal

Score a goal...............

Score a goal.......................

Lets Go Oilers.!...Score a goal............................

#29 Puritania
January 06 2013, 03:49AM

To my brothers and sisters of ON

We're back in business!

#30 Puritania
January 06 2013, 03:50AM
Puritania wrote:

To my brothers and sisters of ON

We're back in business!

Also, self propsing.

#31 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 03:51AM

@Puritania

Looks like I'm going to bed at 1:35 pm.

EDIT 1.) 7 minutes and counting

EDIT 2.) 32 minutes

This guy is amazing. How can he play so long? How can I listen for so long? Its too late, I've gone too far.

Pleas enjoy it with me.

EDIT 3.) 1 hour not even this guy can keep me awake no more#@$% this I'm going to bed

#32 Puritania
January 06 2013, 03:53AM
Sanaa Montana wrote:

Looks like I'm going to bed at 1:35 pm.

EDIT 1.) 7 minutes and counting

EDIT 2.) 32 minutes

Pleas enjoy it with me.

Welcome to the Wiserhood my friend, props.

#33 Hemmertime
January 06 2013, 04:15AM

WOOHOO. Now I can finally concentrate on the important thing... who to fire.

#34 Johe
January 06 2013, 04:21AM
Hemmertime wrote:

WOOHOO. Now I can finally concentrate on the important thing... who to fire.

Haha. You have to wonder? It's GoatBoy Horcoff of course.

#35 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 04:29AM
Johe wrote:

Haha. You have to wonder? It's GoatBoy Horcoff of course.

I thought it would be Tambo,no?

Better question is; how did Bettman and Fehr stay up for so long? I believe they probably took a good 4-5 hour nap in the boardroom at some point in the day.

#36 Johe
January 06 2013, 04:34AM

@Sanaa Montana

Nah. It's always Horcoff's fault.

#37 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 04:36AM

@Johe

But what what about Open Gagham's size?

#38 Johe
January 06 2013, 04:43AM

@Sanaa Montana

Horcoff

#39 Sanaa Montana
January 06 2013, 04:59AM

@Johe

Hatecoff

#40 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 06 2013, 05:57AM

~bring on the cup contending minnesota wild!~