TAMBELLINI'S TAKE

Robin Brownlee
January 06 2013 05:15PM

I went out on a limb (critics will say I sawed it off) by suggesting a shortened season would benefit the Edmonton Oilers two weeks ago and went as far as to say my gut-feeling was that they'd have enough gas in a sprint rather than a marathon to make the playoffs for the first time in six seasons.

While we'll obviously have to see that play out (not even knowing as of writing this if the season will be 48 or 50 games) and there'll be plenty written about that post-season possibility as writers bash off season previews and prepare for an abbreviated training camp, GM Steve Tambellini met with the media today and answered a couple questions connected to my bold (foolish?) prediction. The entire interview is here.

Here's a quick hit from Tambellini's availability:

THE CORE

Tambellini was asked how much of an advantage the Oilers might have because core players -- Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, to name just three – have been playing at a high level in the AHL.

"Well, not only just the core players. The one thing I remember from the last work stoppage, I remember – I was managing Team Canada – and Ken Holland and I were sitting in the stands watching the first skate and the players who had been playing in Europe versus the players who hadn't been playing.

"The first couple days, there was quite a difference, so . . . I think there is an advantage for any player that's been playing whatever league for sure."

THE SPRINT

Tambellini was asked if a shorter season would be a benefit to the Oilers, given the aforementioned young core players, not to mention the likes of Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner and Nail Yakupov, have been playing.

"I think it can be, but I think that's how most coaches and general managers are trying to position their team, hoping that most of them were playing. We've had a good amount of our young core playing for sure.

"I love the fact that they were playing in the American Hockey League, which is the same type of hockey as in the National Hockey League. It was tough for them, it was grinding for them and they had to work for everything they got. Their stats were outstanding.

"I was proud the way they brought themselves in the dressing room as a teammate. Now, it's time for them to get back to Edmonton. I was very happy with the players who played for the Oilers last year, how they contributed on and off the ice in (Oklahoma City)."

More, much more, to come.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 David
January 06 2013, 09:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
6
props
DSF wrote:

Good grief.

Fanboy delusions.

Actually saying Minnesota will finish first in the west is probably a better example of fanboy delusions.

Avatar
#52 David
January 06 2013, 09:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

But hey fans can dream right?

Avatar
#53 Quintana
January 06 2013, 09:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props
DSF wrote:

Good grief.

Fanboy delusions.

Jordan Eberle (22) 2011-12 Edmonton Oilers 78G 34G 42A 76P +10

Zack Parise (28) 2011-12 New Jersey Devils 82G 31G 38A 69P -5

delusions?

Avatar
#54 dougthslug
January 06 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
DSF wrote:

Why would they need "great players developing down on the farm" when they already have great players in the NHL?

Have you become so addicted to the draft that you can't see that there are other ways to acquire players?

The Oilers were gifted Justin Schultz...the Canucks signed Jason Garrison.

Over the next 2-3 seasons I would wager Garrison will be the better defenseman.

Watch those"facts"unfold.

Like I said, it will be nice when we can compare what you say to reality.By the way, if Kesler had been on the Wolves roster this year he would have had zero points.Because he is injured.And not likely to play this year.To bad Canucks don't have much on the farm to replace him.

Avatar
#55 Ryan2
January 06 2013, 09:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

So, you can accurately predict which defensemen the Canucks will have three years from now?

Perhaps you should consider how the Canucks acquired the best shutdown D in the league.

Hint: they didn't draft him.

And who would that be?

Avatar
#56 Harlie
January 06 2013, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
David S wrote:

You've gotta be...are you kidd...There's no way this is rea...

Holy cow. *Brain locks up*

ROFL!

Avatar
#57 DSF
January 06 2013, 09:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
dougthslug wrote:

Like I said, it will be nice when we can compare what you say to reality.By the way, if Kesler had been on the Wolves roster this year he would have had zero points.Because he is injured.And not likely to play this year.To bad Canucks don't have much on the farm to replace him.

You know what hypothetical means, right?

Avatar
#58 dougtheslug
January 06 2013, 10:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props
DSF wrote:

You know what hypothetical means, right?

Explain it to me. You can use most of your posts as examples.Especially the one that says how much better the Chicago Wolves would be doing than the OKC Barons if they had a healthy Kesler, except he isn't, and won't be this year , and if the Canucks could send down the Sedin twins and Bieksa, except they can't because they would be claimed on waivers. Is that an example of a hypothetical argument?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Three key players in order for us to have a chance at playoffs.

1. Dubdy - needs to become a legit #1 2. Whitney 3. J Schultz

If Dubby plays like a #1, then we'll be battling for a spot. If either Whitney or J Schultz play to their potential, coupled with Dubbys play, then we make playoffs. If all three play well, look out!

Me thinks we make playoffs but I like the koolaid.

Avatar
#60 Shavis
January 06 2013, 10:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

We spend much time applauding procurement via the draft in years past, but how much of our success (or possibly, lack thereof) will be contributed to the oilers investment in a team at the AHL level? I think we will all look back at this development chapter while we watch Eberle hoist Stanley. Agree?

Avatar
#61 Rocket
January 06 2013, 11:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Shavis wrote:

We spend much time applauding procurement via the draft in years past, but how much of our success (or possibly, lack thereof) will be contributed to the oilers investment in a team at the AHL level? I think we will all look back at this development chapter while we watch Eberle hoist Stanley. Agree?

Yup

Avatar
#62 GVBlackhawk
January 06 2013, 11:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

DSF's World of Prognostication and Fantasy:

Minnesota Wild finish first in the western conference

Jason Garrison is the top shutdown Dman in the NHL

Chris Kreider will win rookie of the year (5 goals in AHL btw)

Small sample sizes are only important if they are not applied to an argument constructed by DSF.

Avatar
#63 Oilertown
January 06 2013, 11:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props
DSF wrote:

Why would they need "great players developing down on the farm" when they already have great players in the NHL?

Have you become so addicted to the draft that you can't see that there are other ways to acquire players?

The Oilers were gifted Justin Schultz...the Canucks signed Jason Garrison.

Over the next 2-3 seasons I would wager Garrison will be the better defenseman.

Watch those"facts"unfold.

Hate to say it DSF but you have completely lost it. This is gonna be gooood ~rubs hands together~ I might give you this year Garisson might and that's a big might be the better player but good grief DSF he's gonna be a rookie ffs.

The Oilers signed Schultz just like the Nuckleheads signed Garisson.

Or you could say the Nuckleheads were *Gifted* Garisson the same as the Oil were *Gifted* Schultz. Either way this is going to be fun as HELL to rub in your face for years to come.

You walked right into this one dude.

Avatar
#64 Oilertown
January 06 2013, 11:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Mikey wrote:

Exactly, so you can't compare the Sedins in the AHL now. They have more experience.

And I like how you gloss over other people's points, and blast their logic. But will then use that same logic.

DSF is famous for that.

Avatar
#65 Taylor Gang
January 06 2013, 11:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
8
props

Pardon me, but isn't this becoming a trend that the canucks take a player out of florida after one good season only for him to become the goat of the team within 2 years?

Avatar
#66 Oilertown
January 07 2013, 12:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Taylor Gang wrote:

Pardon me, but isn't this becoming a trend that the canucks take a player out of florida after one good season only for him to become the goat of the team within 2 years?

Ya and the same thing will happen with Garisson he will revert back to being his old DFD with very little offence. DSF thinks he is Souray 2.1 haha will see.

Avatar
#67 Alex87
January 07 2013, 12:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Oilertown wrote:

Hate to say it DSF but you have completely lost it. This is gonna be gooood ~rubs hands together~ I might give you this year Garisson might and that's a big might be the better player but good grief DSF he's gonna be a rookie ffs.

The Oilers signed Schultz just like the Nuckleheads signed Garisson.

Or you could say the Nuckleheads were *Gifted* Garisson the same as the Oil were *Gifted* Schultz. Either way this is going to be fun as HELL to rub in your face for years to come.

You walked right into this one dude.

Somebody's gonna have to explain the difference between the Canucks "signing" Garrison and the Oilers being "gifted" Schultz. The former was seen as a good blueliner in a shallow UFA pool, but the latter was far more sought after. So why does DSF use the condescending term "gifted" to describe the Oilers' acquisition?

I mean really, if this isn't all the proof you need to ignore DSF, I don't know what is. Negativity for the sake of negativity.

Avatar
#68 Maggie the Monkey
January 07 2013, 12:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
DSF wrote:

Yes he did.

Now he has to show it early and often.

Wait - someone back up the bus...

Did nobody else notice that DSF had something positive to say about DD?? I think this is a first, and almost as monumental as the end of the CBA madness.

ps: DSF, I'm actually fond of most of what you have to say. It's good to have a voice of opposition around here (and at LT's site), even if your criticism is sometimes a bit strong.

Avatar
#69 GVBlackhawk
January 07 2013, 01:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Maggie the Monkey wrote:

Wait - someone back up the bus...

Did nobody else notice that DSF had something positive to say about DD?? I think this is a first, and almost as monumental as the end of the CBA madness.

ps: DSF, I'm actually fond of most of what you have to say. It's good to have a voice of opposition around here (and at LT's site), even if your criticism is sometimes a bit strong.

I don't mind a dissenting opinion when it comes to the Oilers, especially when the comment is intelligent and/or deserved. DSF provides instances of this.

Other times, he crosses the line and clearly trolls the site because he is either very lonely or doesn't have any other hobbies (which is why I thought he was a teenager when he first appeared on Oilersnation).

Avatar
#70 nuge2nail
January 07 2013, 02:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Oiler Domination To Follow

Nick Schultz will solidify the PK and the defence. Justin Schultz will solidfy the PP and help the offense put up points.

Yakupov will provide much needed secondary scoring, and Hartkainen will add grit to the third line.

If Dubey shows hes a true #1 we will find ourselves in the playoffs. If he faulters - welcome Seth to the Oilers.

Im drinking the Koolaid- im thinking Domination to Follow...

Avatar
#71 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 07 2013, 07:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props
DSF wrote:

What happened 10 years ago is about as important as what socks you were wearing then.

In other words, not at all.

Hockey isn't about yesterday or tomorrow, it's about now.

For example, how many current Oilers were on the roster when the Oilers went to the finals in '06?

then why on earth did you make a 10 year playoff game played prediction for the mighty Wild?

if, as you say, hockey isnt about yesterday or tomorrow, its about now...

Avatar
#72 Rama Lama
January 07 2013, 09:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Yea there is an advantage for players like Hall, Eberle, RNH.......but how long does this advantage last? Maybe a couple of games according to Tamby.

How about the guys who have not played being fresher towards the end of the season? How much of an advantage is that? Maybe by then Hall, Ebs, and RNH will be tired?

I think this advantage that everyone talks about is over stated.

Avatar
#73 Rogue
January 07 2013, 09:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Nice to see that Drivel Spouting Fool, (DSF) is making his prescence felt once again! What happened, some Oiler refused to acknowledge you one day?

Avatar
#74 DSF
January 07 2013, 10:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Alex87 wrote:

Somebody's gonna have to explain the difference between the Canucks "signing" Garrison and the Oilers being "gifted" Schultz. The former was seen as a good blueliner in a shallow UFA pool, but the latter was far more sought after. So why does DSF use the condescending term "gifted" to describe the Oilers' acquisition?

I mean really, if this isn't all the proof you need to ignore DSF, I don't know what is. Negativity for the sake of negativity.

How often does a free agent veteran defenseman sign a contact with a new team?

Often.

How often does a drafted kid get to pick and choose which team he signs an ELC with?

Very rare.

One of these is not like the other.

Avatar
#75 David
January 07 2013, 10:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

How often does a free agent veteran defenseman sign a contact with a new team?

Often.

How often does a drafted kid get to pick and choose which team he signs an ELC with?

Very rare.

One of these is not like the other.

That doesn't change the fact Schultz was a free agent just like Garrison was. They both got to choose the team they wanted to go to. The difference was 29 teams wanted Schultz making him harder to acquire.

Avatar
#76 Romulus' Apotheosis
January 07 2013, 10:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

You guys need to stop falling into the DSF zero-sum trap.

There is never a compelling reason to imply that one player's success = another's failure.

Only in the rare one-on-one hockey events -- a forward schooling a defenseman for example -- does this even make sense. And, even then we are talking about a fractional sample size.

The truth of the matter is there will always be lots of players. Some of them very good to great. People will always disagree about who is better and have their own preferences and occasionally even be able to give an account of their preference.

This is all very normal and interesting.

What is irritating and ridiculous is when these conversations devolve into DSF-land, i.e., two players are pitted against one another (often arbitrarily) in stark contrast in order to imply that there is a world in which these two players exist apart from the rest of the world stuck in a never ending zero-sum game of one-on-one.

It is a wholly false and asinine reality to construct.

Avatar
#77 Romulus' Apotheosis
January 07 2013, 10:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
David wrote:

That doesn't change the fact Schultz was a free agent just like Garrison was. They both got to choose the team they wanted to go to. The difference was 29 teams wanted Schultz making him harder to acquire.

The real difference between these players, their contracts and the method in which they were acquired is "media attention."

Schultz "enjoyed" an absurd amount of coverage because of his unique contract situation.

This difference tells us very little about the two players' reasonable projections, the mgt. of the two teams, or the quality of the two teams.

They are both very talented, young D prospects/players any team would seek out with vigor. Both the Oil and the Nucks are lucky to have them.

But we've reached the point of maximal absurdity in forcing this comparison (IMO).

Avatar
#78 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 07 2013, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

How often does a free agent veteran defenseman sign a contact with a new team?

Often.

How often does a drafted kid get to pick and choose which team he signs an ELC with?

Very rare.

One of these is not like the other.

and the very rare case picked edmonton.

crazy knows no bounds.

Avatar
#79 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
January 07 2013, 12:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

How often does a free agent veteran defenseman sign a contact with a new team?

Often.

How often does a drafted kid get to pick and choose which team he signs an ELC with?

Very rare.

One of these is not like the other.

Oh DSF, you're so smart.

P.s. I accidentally props'd that fool trying to hit reply, so there's not anyone insane enough to agree with him. Just a mistake.

Avatar
#80 David S
January 07 2013, 03:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Wanye wrote:

2013 WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

1. EDM

2. First losers

3. Don't care

4. Doesn't matter

5. Boring

6. Unimportant

7. Also rans

8. Round 1 losers

9. Close but no cigar

10. Probably someone boring

11. Never even in the mix

12. Will fire their Coach

13. Bottom Feeders

14. Someone rebuilding

15. CGY

This is very possibly the greatest comment in the history of Oilers Nation comments.

I propped the living hell outtta that prop button. Alas it has denied me the sick, twisted pleasure of seeing a billion props. Boooo!

Avatar
#81 pelhem grenville
January 08 2013, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

...David S

...it's the big brain thing I spoke of earlier

EDM even beats the Round 1 losers listed...

is there bloody anything he can't do?

Avatar
#82 pelhem grenville
January 08 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

...of all the tens of thousands there the day of the night of the infamous canucks fan riots...

copy paste this...it's a gigapan image so everyone in the picture is recognizable, as u scroll the image zooms larger and larger : http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html

and ask ... Is DSF in the crowd ?

Comments are closed for this article.