DON’T FORGET TO VOTE

Wanye
October 21 2013 10:48AM

This article focuses on the Edmonton part of “Edmonton Oilers Hockey Blog” that you see in the website header. It’s voting day for Edmonton City Council and if you live in the City of Champions, or any of the wonderful surrounding municipalities, it’s time you do your duty and get out there and vote today.

WHY THE HELL SHOULD I VOTE?

You might be asking yourself “hey I agree with that heading. Why in the hell should I vote?” Vote because the percentage of us who do is relatively small yet the percentage of us who bitch and moan about Edmonton is nearly 100%. Vote because giving a damn about the city is an important part of our duty as Edmontonians.

If you don’t look at the candidates and decide who is the best solution to whatever problems you find most important you can’t complain the rest of the four year term in our books. You did vote? Then complain away you whiny SOB – you have earned the right.

The Edmonton Arena was the biggest political topic in Edmonton in the past 25 years and that’s a real shame. It’s also a shame that we won’t now collectively get behind a new idea that will cause as passionate a debate as to how to continue to develop Edmonton. Vote because you want to see new ideas brought forth to make our City even better in the coming years.

MAY I VOTE FOR MAYOR McCHEESE?

Mayor McCheese was a fictional character based on H.R. Pufnstuf, invented by the McDonalds Corporation designed to entice children into their stores. You can write him in on the ballot if you choose, but as a man with a cheeseburger for a head he won’t be much use at City Council meetings.

WHO YOU PICKIN WANYE?

Like so many of us, we don’t pretend to understand all of the issues surrounding this election nor do we have a total understanding of the different candidate platforms. But that doesn’t mean we won’t make a gut decision and vote.

We are going to vote for Don Iveson for whatever that is worth. We are good friends with many of his like minded campaign team – including the esteemed @bingofuel co-founder of the Nation Network who then took a bag of cash and ran.

We have had the good fortune of meeting Don a couple of times and found we agreed on many issues and most importantly we share a passion for the City. We haven’t always agreed with him on every issue but at the end of the day he is far and away the best candidate of the two front runners in our book.

Finally it would be sick to have a man younger than Ryan Smyth elected Mayor of Edmonton. The man is only 34 years old for heavens sakes. How cool is that?

No matter if you think we are right, wrong or completely mentally incompetent if you live in Edmonton please go vote today.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 djjoshiejosh
October 21 2013, 06:39PM

I was going to vote than I realized that monday night football was on and that I don't care.

#2 Dean
October 21 2013, 11:18AM

I will vote for Leibovici. She has more experience, and I didn't like that Iveson flip-flopped his vote on the arena at the last minute. Makes me wonder if he'll do that on other issues. Either way, thanks for encouraging people to vote.

#3 Toast_Chris
October 21 2013, 12:04PM

I support the new arena (who wouldn't) and Kerry Diotte. Kerry Diotte supported the new arena, in principle, too. Those close to the deal, however, (especially city guys) will tell you how one-sided it was in Katz' favor. At one point, after conceding a variable of the deal to the City, the Katz Group came back with a proposal to include a private elevator from his parking stall in the parkade to the owner's box. Yeah, it ended up being "that kind of deal;" and we bent over. Yes! We should be progressive & continue to grow; but we need a backbone, too. I'm not volunteering for anybody's campaign, but these are issues that I considered before I voted.

#4 book¡e
October 21 2013, 11:09AM

Wanye - Well done. It's my job to be informed about urban planning and governance and I am thrilled to have voted for Don Iveson this morning. He is extremely intelligent and very informed about urban issues.

#5 The Towel Boy
October 21 2013, 01:20PM

I voted for Pedro.

#6 oilerjed
October 21 2013, 10:59AM

Good on you for using the site to promote responsible citizenry! Even if you did shamelessly plug a candidate in the end.

#7 Reality Check to the head
October 21 2013, 11:06AM

For the first time ever, I was actually voting against someone instead of voting for someone. Diotte would be a big step backwards after having a mayor like Mandel. But this is just my opinion.

#8 vetinari
October 21 2013, 11:45AM

Yah, what the guy above me said!!!!

#10 Quicksilver ballet
October 21 2013, 12:31PM

Iveson in a landslide.

Only chance Leibovici or Diotte had to compete with him, would've been to center their campaign around cancelling that arena deal. The Oilers aren't all that popular with the 50 and up crowd.

#11 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
October 21 2013, 10:52AM

Wanye I'm up north working until the end of the month, you can proxy my vote for either Nuge or Ebs. Your choice...

#13 book¡e
October 21 2013, 11:20AM

For those of you who like your information in Youtube clips - here are the three main Mayoral campaign videos released by the candidates.

Don Iveson

Kerry Diotte

Karen Leibovici

#14 Gerald R. Ford
October 21 2013, 11:47AM

Leibovici knows how the system works, and is pretty good at squeezing money out of it. I wouldn't be too upset if Iveson won, though. I just hope they don't split the rational vote...

#15 china town man
October 21 2013, 11:53AM

My wife and I just finished voting Feels great !!! I won't tell you who I voted for , But what I will tell You is who I didn't vote for

KERRY DIOTTE !!!! Keep edmonton Moving foward people make the right decision

#16 Ducey
October 21 2013, 12:00PM

Don't be an Idiotte; Don't vote for Kerry.

#17 china town man
October 21 2013, 12:20PM

Don't get me wrong kerry diotte Is a good candidate for the mayor But just not in Edmonton !!! Don't like his vision for our city And very skeptical of his commitment He kerry Diotte whould do well Calgary Lol dont screw our city

#18 book¡e
October 21 2013, 12:43PM

@Wanye

#19 Pucker
October 21 2013, 01:29PM
Gerald R. Ford wrote:

I made a point of making sure I got out to vote this election just because I'm concerned about Diotte getting in on a vote split.

Everybody!! get out there and vote!!

#20 Spydyr
October 21 2013, 01:39PM

As many here know I like to moan and complain. That being said not one vote has come by that I have not voted in. Get off the sofa and vote. Many people fought for your right to vote. Vote in their honor. It is the least you can do for their sacrifice.

#21 madjam
October 21 2013, 02:01PM

Voting is a right/priviledge and one should take part if only to show democracy is in effect here in Canada . Just got back from doctors office for last Twin Rix shot for travelling and Hepatitus protection . He teaches in China , as well , and there they have No Voting and over 500M people infected there with hepatitis B , and 250M expected to die from liver cancer in next two years because they cannot afford to protect their people with vaccines , etc.. We also had our flu shots , another simple thing here , but there is also to expensive for the masses . His student doctor , he bought back here with him , was quite impressed how things work so easily here . The vote and democracy works well for us , times like these you need to express this priviledge/right .

#22 Harlie
October 22 2013, 09:27AM

I'm a voter and I believe in our democratic right to vote.

I also believe in our democratic right not to vote.

I just wonder why we get all uppity on people who choose not to vote? Haven't they earned their choice not to?

Harlie's deep thoughts for the day. Now go enjoy a McCain's.

#23 vetinari
October 21 2013, 11:44AM

Ha ha. As an non-Edmontonian and non-Albertan fan of the Oilers, I don't have to go through this, at least this year! That said, I haven't missed a federal, provincial, or municipal election yet because people half way around the world (you know-- places like Mississippi, right?) would kill for our rights and freedoms*.

*rights and freedoms may vary by region. Consult with your local dictator, chairman, or "el presidente" for the rights and freedoms available in your region...

#24 hemi
October 21 2013, 12:12PM

I have never not voted since I turned the age of majority way back when......

I could never influence any person to vote for whom I believe is the better person to represent my views, my city and etc but I certainly would not invite DIOTTE to my supper table.

Vote for whom you see fit, just vote!

#25 oilerjed
October 21 2013, 12:17PM
Wanye wrote:

Feel free to suggest alternate candidates homie and talk it out. I just wanted to do my part and guilt trip everyone to go vote and gave my two bits on the matter.

Dont get me wrong, there is not enough peer pressure out their to get people to vote: muni, prov or fed. I whole heartedly support you putting it your site, the jibe at the end was my cynical nature peeking through my responsible facade. Plus Im on Vancouver Island so I dont think my opinion means Jack in this instance. My only other question is how can you not vote for a guy endorsed by Motorhead though?? Serious thought is needed.

#26 Dave240
October 21 2013, 12:28PM

Casting my ballot for Iveson as well!

#28 The Towel Boy
October 21 2013, 01:20PM

I voted for Pedro.

#29 Dallylamma
October 21 2013, 01:22PM

I'm the same age as Don Iveson? WHAT HAVE I DONE WITH MY LIFE?!?

#30 The Towel Boy
October 21 2013, 01:26PM

I blame a spotty internet connection for the double post.

I really only voted once.

#31 Archaeologuy
October 21 2013, 01:30PM

Josh Semotiuk, because MOTORHEAD!!

#32 book¡e
October 21 2013, 01:41PM

Ok, if you are absolutely disconnected and not informed and just want to go vote so that you can say you voted - then please vote for Kristine Acielo. Anyone who promises to build a monorail along the Anthony Henday deserves at least 5,000 votes! Also, she wants a bigger arena.

#33 Maron Green
October 21 2013, 01:55PM

I wish I could "props" this article! I hope the Nation Network gets out there to vote. Way to lead by example Wanye. My only complaint about the election is that both Iveson and Leibovici are running, because I think council is better off with both of them on there supporting a forward vision for the city! All the same, it's an exciting day.

#34 Spydyr
October 21 2013, 02:00PM

@book¡e

A monorail !!! Like Springfield had. Where can we vote!

#35 StHenriOilBomb
October 21 2013, 02:07PM

I'm jealous of cities whose municipal elections focus on more than "who's least corrupt?" and "How can we fix our crumbling bridges when every construction company is crooked?".

from Montreal. I'll be the drunk bearded guy in an Oilers t-shirt and toque at the game tomorrow.

And I'll be voting in our municipal election next week.

#37 Chaz
October 21 2013, 03:16PM

Sounds corny, but every time an election comes, I think about how lucky I am to live in a democratic country where people's main concern seems to be slamming their own hockey team via the inter webs. We are so lucky to have a losing hockey team as our major gripe in life. Don't take this for granted people. Do as Wanye says, and get out and VOTE.

Then buy a poppy and remember why we enjoy this freedom that so many Billions (yes Billions) of others on this world wish they could.

And while we're at it, fix that goddamn power play already Eakins. GEEEEEZ!!

GOil!

#39 book¡e
October 21 2013, 03:30PM

@Wanye

Actually about 1/10 have Hep B and about 300,000 die per year of it.

As per democracy, I have a few Chinese graduate students and they are quite amazed at the openness here and the democratic process.

#40 henry pickles
October 21 2013, 04:27PM

Vote for more potholes!

I voted at the advanced pollz (Iveson) and I didn't vote for the Incumbent in my ward.

IMO the WHOLE of "silly council" needs to be replaced.

#42 Rob...
October 21 2013, 04:55PM

I considered not voting. I read every single candidate's platform for my ward and was left greatly disappointed.

It would have been more disappointing though to just hand the chair over to the candidate supported by the outgoing councillor. That supporter chose to be the mayor's puppet instead of adequately represent her ward and I won't vote for her understudy.

If you can't vote for someone you approve of, vote for the least objectionable substitute, because there's always a worst case scenario involving who gets into power.

#43 rubbertrout
October 21 2013, 04:57PM

Did someone say monorail?

#44 Rob...
October 21 2013, 04:59PM
rubbertrout wrote:

Did someone say monorail?

We won't get a monorail until we get a mayor with a 1-track mind.

#45 uks ya~
October 21 2013, 05:07PM
Chaz wrote:

And while we're at it, fix that goddamn power play already Eakins. GEEEEEZ!!

GOil!

salute!

#46 Wäx Män Riley
October 21 2013, 05:08PM
Spydyr wrote:

A monorail !!! Like Springfield had. Where can we vote!

Don't forget about Ogdenville... and North Haverbrook

#47 madjam
October 21 2013, 05:54PM
Wanye wrote:

So 1/6 of Chinese citizens are expected to die of liver cancer in the next 2 years and 1/3 have hepatitis B. You're lucky you bookended this math with pro democracy statements Sir/Madam/Robot or I'd have deleted it.

I stand corrected after reading it again . 500M people , but still an appalling 2.5M infected . We are far more fortunate here .

#48 DrDave