BIG WIN: JUNIOR OILERS PREVAIL

Robin Brownlee
October 22 2013 08:56PM

If the Edmonton Oilers needed extra motivation to bring it in the final stop of a six-game road swing against the Montreal Canadiens Tuesday, they got some bulletin board material when Montreal's Lars Eller said the visitors to the Bell Centre "play a little bit like a junior team."

"It's hard to say. It can be anything, you know? They play a little bit like a junior team, I think, sometimes," he said when asked what the Canadiens could expect from the Oilers.

"They take a lot risks, a lot of chances. They’re a little all over the place. There’s not a lot of structure always in their game. It can really be anything. You don’t know. I prefer a little more structured game. Then again, I don’t mind high-scoring games, too. Obviously, we’re going to try with their skilled players to limit their chances."

Eller was right about one thing – the Oilers were "a little all over the place in this one. The visitors were, in fact, a lot all over the place as they went from looking like they'd get embarrassed in the first period to scoring four straight goals en route to a 4-3 decision in a game they absolutely had to win.

CHANGE OF PERSPECTIVE

Beaten by the Habs 4-1 at Rexall Place Oct. 10, the Oilers looked like they'd be in for an encore in the opening 20 minutes. Outshot and dominated on the dot, they fashioned an about-face in the final 40 minutes to win their second straight on the swing (they won 3-1 in Ottawa) and pack for home with five points from the trip. Gutsy stuff and, yes, all over the place.

Not a great half-dozen, but the Oilers come home in considerably better shape at 3-6-1 than they looked heading into Ottawa with one point from the first four stops. With Taylor Hall (knee) and Ryan Smyth (groin) back in Edmonton, they got it done with goals from Ales Hemsky, Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry and Ryan Jones in front of 29 saves from Devan Dubnyk.

Jones, who coughed up the puck on Brendan Gallagher's goal to make it 2-0 in the first period – I called it a "send-me-to-the-minors-right-now turnover" on Twitter – got the winner when he banged in a loose puck in the crease behind Carey Price. Again, as Eller said, Jones was all over the place.

Hemsky was absolutely terrific, save for failing to end any drama when he hit the post with Montreal's net empty. Mark Arcobello picked up two assists and now has 10 points. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle each had two assists and played maybe their best games of the road trip when coach Dallas Eakins needed them most.

With Hall out for as long as a month, having to play six of their next 10 games on the road and lots of twists and turns to come as fans try to figure out exactly what this team is about, it's probably best not to draw too many conclusions after this win, as big as it was.

All over the place, indeed. Eller was right.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 TeeVee
October 22 2013, 10:18PM

I'd take this Eller kid in a trade in a heartbeat. He's gritty, has great hands, and he sat Smid and a couple others on their asses tonight.

Gryba just about killed him but it must have made him a little stronger.

Ignorant comments aside from him today, I'd send Yak to Habland to be with his buddy in exchange for Eller.

#2 Harlie
October 22 2013, 09:45PM

Put the mickey's down boys, its' one win.

And I'd like to see Bourque on our team.

#3 Loweblows
October 22 2013, 09:37PM
Loweblows wrote:

Loved their physical play tonight-going to bed happy! Oiler domination set to begin!

To the people who trash my post it is obvious you are calgary fans and should get the f@€# off our site-oiler domination set to begin

#4 Fresh Mess
October 22 2013, 10:11PM

PLAN THE PARADE.

and why haven't the commenters at ON come up with a cutesy, effeminate pet name for Arcobello yet? Arco-poo-poo ? Arcy? Arcsadandy ? Arcs? Arco-BelleoftheBall?

#5 uks ya
October 22 2013, 09:23PM
uks ya! wrote:

lol good stuff!

hey Brownlee **POUND IT** :)

juss sluffin wit dat button lol alrite, I see how it is! haha

OILERS WIN....CHEERS BOYS!!!!

#6 somali G
October 22 2013, 09:24PM
uks ya wrote:

juss sluffin wit dat button lol alrite, I see how it is! haha

OILERS WIN....CHEERS BOYS!!!!

EDIT: Don't even try to use that word here again or you're done.

#7 Rama Lama
October 23 2013, 10:09AM

I'm not sure what Eakins was thinking but if he feels we need guys like Eller as motivation to win..........we are in trouble.

If I were Eakins I would have accepted the gift and kept my mouth shut! Eller is saying what every player in the NHL is thinking.......good individual players playing for a coach that has no systems.

#9 uks ya!
October 22 2013, 09:30PM
the dude abides wrote:

Nice win! Kudos to Eakins - must have said the right things in the first intermission. Also, Nuge and Hemsky players of the game Hemsky - Gordon/Arcobello - Perron line is a winner (Arc seems to fit in anywhere) Yak not ready for the first line Schultz could use some time in the pressbox, needs more tenacity Smid score = oil win Gritty win gotta like it

old Shultz?... yes!

young Shultz?...you must be buzzed!

#10 Loweblows
October 22 2013, 09:21PM

#11 YFC Prez
October 22 2013, 10:22PM
Rip van Winkle wrote:

go phuck yourself

Ya that too

#12 somali G
October 22 2013, 09:37PM
The 90's were worse (Formerly Oilers need Ogie Oglethorpe) wrote:

Nice game Oil

1. Petry looked good tonight before the goal. Is it fair to say that he's been one of our best this season? Is it fair to say he's improved every year? I bet of we had a D-corps, he wouldn't have to play 1st pairing minutes, wouldn't get embarrassed by Datsuyk, and we'd all appreciate Petry as a solid developing D-man who's improved every year?

2. Healthy Hemsky is always awesome. I may be unpopular for saying this, but I hope Hemsky spends his whole career with the Oil, including at least 1 ring. I heard him getting props on the radio for sacrificing the body, but IMO, he's always done that. If he's beat-up now, it's because of years of getting gooned in Copper and Blue

3. There's a word for this, but as an oil fan I don't know it. You know, when good teams suffer injuries to their star players, but then someone else is good enough to replace them. What's the word for that again? Death? Decks? johnny DEPP? Whatever, you know what I mean.

Respekk!!

#13 Rdubb
October 23 2013, 02:49AM
Reality Check to the head wrote:

Go figure,

Hemsky playing some of his best hockey in a contract year. Give him credit, he is blocking shots and shooting well.

I am sick and tired of these guys all playing good in "contract years", and once a deal is signed, a ton of these guys never show up again, you see it all the time on ever single team. To many of these guys will have a good yr like Hemmer, sign a big deal, and then have 3 bad yrs, than a contract yr pops up, and they put up career totals, NUTTS, NUTTS I say... Way too many guys cannot, and don't bring it once these mega deals are signed, that's why contracts SHOULD be limited to 2 or 3 yrs @ most. Make these guys play, it may cost teams in the long run for some guys, but it'd also save teams on many other guys...

#14 uks ya!
October 22 2013, 08:59PM

lol good stuff!

hey Brownlee **POUND IT** :)

#16 75ers
October 22 2013, 10:59PM

Kinda didn't miss the pouty attitude Hall sometimes brings to the team. I feel like he can be on a "woe is me" train and who wouldn't be on this team sometimes, but I think they looked more like men than young guns tonight and played like a hockey team not like someone owed them something. They eared that one, best team game of the year minus the first period.

#17 2004Z06
October 22 2013, 11:01PM

I said it yesterday and will repeat it. This team will play better without Hall over the next few weeks. Not because Hall isn't a good player, but I think this team starts to gel without him in the room.

#18 Darrell
October 23 2013, 02:43AM
Fresh Mess wrote:

PLAN THE PARADE.

Not sure about his nickname but yours is easy you douchebag !

#19 Poolanov
October 22 2013, 09:09PM

Liked Eakins' comment. "Might as well have sent me over a gift basket and a bottle of wine"

regarding the 'junior team' comment

#20 YFC Prez
October 22 2013, 11:03PM

@75ers

That pouty attitude I think cost him the C this season. It's definetly something hall has to work on but that will go away with maturity. I would still prefer a pouty Taylor Hall on the ice than a injured one at home.

#21 dougtheslug
October 22 2013, 11:27PM
dougtheslug wrote:

Interesting to see Eberle with a +/- of +7. It must be years since Oilers had a player so far into plus territory.

Actually, no, if I'd bothered to do a little research I would have seen Horcoff and Potter were both +8 last year. Shows what a meaningless statistic it is, I guess

#22 Rip van Winkle
October 22 2013, 09:30PM

Only 4 more wins till I'm off the hook for my "drinks for everyone on me if the Oilers don't win the next six" comment before the Sens game. Go Oilers!!!! I'll keep the Colts logo up my behind in the mean time

S@&t. Cursed that one. I didn't even need to say shutout

#24 LoweBlow
October 23 2013, 07:38AM

A few things I noticed:

The Oil looked great protecting their lead. They were composed & even kept the foot on the gass for a while. I don't know about y'all but I have a great feeling of security when I see Perron with the puck. He just doesn't make any bad plays.

Yak looked bloody horrible last night. He just looks lost. Is this because Eakins is forcing them to play a more North American game & Yak can't adjust? Is it moving him to the other wing? Why the hell does he look so directionless? He's soft on the puck, out of position & a giveaway machine!

I'm more impressed with Belov every game. He's providing solid, cheap 3-4D minutes. Sign him, he'll only get better. Plus it gives Yak someone to talk to.

You know who still looks weak although he played a lot better last night? Justin Schultz. I agree that a night in the press box would do this kid good.

Thanks for the win Oilers, though that depleted Mtl lineup should've been destroyed. Keep em coming.

#25 the dude abides
October 22 2013, 09:22PM

Nice game Oil

#27 Zarny
October 22 2013, 10:27PM

Man was that first period fugly. The funniest part of Eller's comments are that they are right. The Oilers do play like a junior team sometimes.

Probably has something to do with Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak and Schultz averaging 121 NHL games. That's almost an entire season and a half...almost.

They stole a win. Take the gift and send Lars a gift basket and bottle of wine to say thanks.

#28 N4R
October 23 2013, 02:57AM

Edmonton Oilers vs Montreal Canadiens (22.10.2013) http://prognoz-na-sport.info/news/skachat_match_edmonton_oilers_vs_montreal_canadiens_nhl_2013_2014_regular_season_22_10_2013/2013-10-23-6941

#29 Zamboni Driver
October 23 2013, 08:31AM

Credit where due....I'm not a Hemsky fan (still am not), but he was fantastic yesterday. Best game, quite literally, since '06 I think.

#30 Spydyr
October 23 2013, 08:34AM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

I see no huge multi-player blockbuster of a deal yet. Say it with me now: bull shiiiiiift.

Maybe his playstation is broke and he can't get on NHL 13 to complete the trade.

#31 spliff
October 22 2013, 09:01PM

I've been feeling very negative about the Oil this year, because I felt this year would be different, and the poor start sucked big time.

However, gritty win today in a tough building. Kudo's to the team and I hope they can build from this. As long as the battle hard the wins will come, and the losses will be easier to stomach.

#32 Reality Check to the head
October 22 2013, 09:03PM

Go figure,

#33 hockeycrazed
October 22 2013, 09:09PM

As long as he kept giving up one less than the offence score, I don't mind eating my words about trading him!!!

#34 MICHAEL
October 22 2013, 09:10PM

Someone is eating crow tonight. Jones received a reprieve of biblical proportions.Hemsky owns the Bell Center. Someone in Montreal should take notice.

#35 Wax Man Riley
October 22 2013, 10:16PM
Fresh Mess wrote:

PLAN THE PARADE.

How about...

Arc'eologuy?

Is that name taken yet?

#36 Ryan2
October 22 2013, 10:23PM

@ Robin Brownlee - I missed the game due to a practice for my Novice team tonight, but how did Pitlick look in his debut?

#37 Rip van Winkle
October 22 2013, 10:37PM
YFC Prez wrote:

Ya that too

Thanks for helping me illustrate that changing the spelling of something does not change the intent of the message. No harm intended except to one ignoramus who is not YFC

#38 mk
October 22 2013, 11:02PM

just wondering who got to wear the jacket tonight?

#39 Ham_n_Eggs
October 22 2013, 11:38PM

Good to see Pitlick play well in his first game in the NHL, he skated well and had some good hits on the forecheck. I'm hoping he stays with the big club as he is 10 times the hockey player than anyone on the fourth line.

#40 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
October 23 2013, 08:18AM

#41 bdiddy18
October 23 2013, 08:52AM

DAM YOU ARCOBELLO!!! Could have traded Gagner for help in other areas had we'd known about this performance! LOL

Good problem to have - if Eakins is true to his word about demonstrating compete in order to stay in the lineup THERE IS NO WAY Arcobello should be returned to OKC once healthy bodies come back.

#42 alan
October 23 2013, 10:04AM

Did Pitlick play and, if so, how did he do?

Forgot the best part of my post... 2-0 Coyotes!!!!

#44 Oiler Al
October 22 2013, 09:40PM

I guess the team didn't read Ellers comment till the end of the first period. Played gritty and turned on the speed in the next two periods, even guys going to the net.

I think key to the game was getting a couple of goals from the backend! Prior to this game D scored only one goal [Petry}.Need to see more of this .

#45 hemi
October 22 2013, 09:45PM

I always feel so damn good when the Oil beats either habs or the laffs. It is hard for me to describe but I truly hate and always have, these two teams. The nuck getting there as well, due to their ignorant fans. GO OIL GO!

#46 Naky
October 22 2013, 10:34PM

To be fair, the Oilers didn't exactly prove Eller wrong after that first period where only Dubnyk showed up to play. The final 10 minutes of the first period were so very, very awful to watch as the team completely hung DD out to dry with not a care in the world or a sense of urgency to be found.

I honestly would have LOVED to be in the dressing room during that first intermission. I'd like to know what was said (and by who) that needed to be said to spur them back into playing hockey again so I can cheer them on harder hoping they'll keep it up.

I'm glad they were able to battle back for the win, but like Smid said in his post game they can't keep playing or starting games like this one if they want to continue winning. The blunt reality is that the Habs were a banged up team just like us who obviously took the team too lightly.

Compete hard and play with some structure every night and nobody in this league's gonna make remarks like Eller did. This win is a start, now continue earning that respect boys.

#47 John
October 22 2013, 10:40PM

Has the Arcobello express to Stanley Avenue left the station yet? If not, I'd like a first class ticket please. 'Bout time the Oilers benefited from a where the f$&@ did that player appear from situation.

#48 dougtheslug
October 22 2013, 11:21PM

#49 **
October 22 2013, 11:56PM

Yakupov, Nuge and Ebs were struggling quite a bit on the first period. Then everyone seemed to settled down and began fore ckecking and making better decisions with the puck. All the Arcobello naysayers, where are you now?!?!?!?!?!

#50 Pouzar99
October 23 2013, 03:07AM

The final two periods of the game provide a template of exactly how the Oilers need to play to be successful. No more high risk passes in their own zone, maintain a very high compete level, keep it simple, get it deep and forecheck hard. It is harder work and requires more discipline but winning is a lot more fun than losing.

It is going to take time for Eakins to get them to play that way consistently, and they still have some holes to fill, especially on D, but maybe they learned tonight that if they play this way they are hard to beat when they get the solid goaltending Dubnyk is now providing. In short they are learning what it means to be professionals. They are definitely not over the hump yet. There will be many more nights when we grind our teeth in frustration, but we can see what direction they need to go, and how good they can be when they do.

Now if we can just get one of the Capitals to take a cheap shot at them before Thursday's game .... Eller is a good kid and a wonderful young player and he will learn from this.