DEAR JOHN....

Jason Gregor
October 31 2013 09:47AM

Breaking up is hard to do. I remember the first time a girl broke up with me, and after the initial blow to my ego, I vividly remember that I felt relieved. There wasn't going to be any tears. I guess I wasn't that into her, but it is funny to recall the sense of relief of not having to be the breaker upper.

Tears are always the worst part when you are the one doing the breaking up. You tell them you aren't feeling it anymore, and suddenly the waterworks come, then the guilt overrides you and you find yourself staying in the relationship for a few more weeks.

We've all been there, well, at least most of guys have. I'm not sure if a guy crying convinces a girl to stick around. I'm certain Wanye could enlighten us on that scenario...but I digress.

The first 14 Oilers games have been very stressful for you the fans.

Anger, disappointment, confusion, heartache and tinges of depression have engulfed you for the past 30 days. You honestly believed this year would be better. The Oilers told you it would be different.

Craig MacTavish's passionate speech about Bold moves had your loins burning with excitement. You and the Oilers were finally on the same page. Your relationship was on the road to repair. You told the Oilers you needed them to change and they did.

You couldn't deal with their indecisiveness any longer, so they got rid of Steve Tambellini.

You asked for more commitment, and the Belanger Triangle was bought out.

The one part of them that you always blamed; Horcoff, was traded.

You didn't want to deal with their baggage anymore, so Pettrell, Whitney, Peckham, Smithson and Hordichuk were flushed from the roster.

You wanted them to be stronger so Paajarvi was traded for Perron. They got grittier, and added an accent. You were giddy.

From July to September you were satisfied and felt secure in your relationship. The Oilers had listened to your concerns and addressed them. What more could you ask for. They were impressing you.

The preseason came and the so did victories. You hadn't felt like this in months. You started watching games in sweatpants instead of jeans so your excitement was more comfortable.

You started trusting the Oilers again, and then, like a well-placed kick to the junk combined with a knife in the back, the regular season happened.

Suddenly, they reverted to their old habits and as the losses mounted so too did your heartbreak.

The last 30 days have been tough, but I never realized how tough they were for Oilersnation until I received the following "Dear Oilers" letter from Joshua.

Dear Oilers,

First of all, let me apologize for taking the cowardly way out and doing this via a letter., We’ve been together so long now that I knew if I did it to your face you'd look at me with those Oil Drop eyes, remind me of the way things used to be, and I'd lose my nerve.

My needs aren't being met in this relationship anymore.

The red light isn't going off for me.
There just isn't enough action in the crease.
It seems like we never go out on a decent power play together anymore.
I don't feel supported in our own zone, and you forgot to kill our last penalty together!

I've loved and supported you through thick and thin, for richer or poorer, and even though I can’t afford to take my kids to the game and share them with you, I always felt like we had a great connection.

But there has to be a limit.

I still care about you and wish only the best for you.

Make changes to be better, but do it for you, don't do it for me.

Until then, I think we should see other teams. Maybe it will re-ignite the passion that's gone from our relationship.

Maybe one day we can both look back on this and laugh. I'll just sit in my corner and look longingly at the standings, thinking of how things were.

I love you.

Yours in despair and loneliness,

Joshua

That. Was. Deep. Powerful. Poignant. Touching.

I'm sure Josh isn't alone, but will he be able to stay away? Many have tried, most have failed, and that is what is so frustrating about sports.

We'd never let a woman/man treat us that way, yet we continually forgive our favourite team.

For years I've tried to breakup with the Miami Dolphins, but every August I find myself looking at their roster, then at their schedule and I get sucked back in.

Those Bastards.

Joshua, I wish you all the best, and hope that you can be stronger than the rest of us. We say we will leave, but we never do.

Be strong, be brave and become a catalyst for change.

Godspeed.

P.S... No one will judge you when you come back. We've all been there.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 braidonh
October 31 2013, 09:56AM

Today is not the day for failure. Joshua would be embarrassed by your attempt....edited by Nation Moderator

Going to leave the moderator comment, I apologize for my dumbness.

Serious comment time.

Being an Oiler fan since day one (of my life) I grew up during the dry years, the years of Grier, Marchand, Salo, and Niinimaa, and I dreamed of a team with skill. Well, we now have that skill after years of embarrassment. But I think the situation we now find ourselves in might be harder than seeing the losing in the 90's and in the post 06 period.

Like Ben Eager, this team has all the tools to succeed, but fail to deliver. I empathize with Joshua. But I disagree with him. Don't allow the foundation of a relationship to crack, work harder to bolster it. We are in a better position (on paper) now than we were 6 months ago, and it is largely because of us the fans pressuring the organization to make change.

Keep pressuring, keep loving, keep drinking Rexall beers, keep drinking home beers, keep trashing DSF, and although Joshua may have thrown in the towel, take after him and never lose passion for the team that forces you to drink.

#2 Serious Gord
October 31 2013, 12:51PM
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

Just some general comments cause this sucks to always be talking about a losing team

When Mact was hired at the press cinference he said he was and impatient man and things were going to change quickly, now he says that patience is required. Lie here somewhere? And wasn't Tambo fired for being to patient?

When eakins was hired one of the pluses about him was that he could develop the young guys. Sportsnet and some media were quoting regularly the last few weeks on how Eakins said that they are not here to develop but win instead. Lie here somewhere?

About Tambo I don't understand how he was at fault since everything he did was run through Lowe.

Seem Kevin Lowe subscribes to the Fox News theory of "Stick to our narrative no matter what the facts say"

Sorry longer rant than I had planned. I am a longtime sufferer of crap teams I have been a Raiders fan since 81 Been a long time since I have been able to cheer for a quality team. Oh yeah i am also an eskie fan.

Gratuitous jab at Fox News just proves you have never watched Fox News.

#3 DSF
October 31 2013, 11:53AM

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

As @adater first reported, can confirm Max Talbot traded for Steve Downie

#4 Oiltimer
October 31 2013, 10:16AM

MacT gets his coaching job back by Christmas?

Or

We should be glad we're not Cubbies Fans

Or

Too many if,s that have't worked out

Or

We should look up the word fan.

Or

I stopped buying seasons tickets because ...

#5 NJ
October 31 2013, 01:56PM

Anyone who trashes a mention of Steve Ott needs to have their head examined.

6'0", 190lbs. Not big. But he plays big. Hits a ton and agitates like crazy.

This is a guy who learned 3 foreign languages so he could agitate other players in their own language. He leaves it all out there. Despite the fact he comes from Buffalo, he is good in the circle, and can play the wing. Slot him in 3rd/4th line centre... even played top 6 in Dallas though some would say he was over his head there. Anyone who things that we couldn't use some of that on THIS team is nuts.

#6 AbsolutelyNot
October 31 2013, 07:37PM

Oiler fans. I myself, is on the verge of giving up and hop on a winning team. I truly admire the men and women who watch and go and pay their hard earned alberta money to see these kids play and soil their jock straps every single game. Unfortunately, one bold move is NOT going to fix this team. Im not going to pretend i know the answer either. But i do have an opinion, and that is that this organization is extremely pathetic, through and through. It shows how pathetic their development personnel is, their scouts pro and amateur (im not talking about the #1 draft picks, its not hard to succeed in that), their trainers, past coaches. EVERY single one of the personnel are pathetic human beings. THE EDMONTON OILERS are absolutely and completely and unfortunately the laughing stock of the NHL. Us fans have no credibility in arguing anything with other fans of other teams because the oilers have given us nothing. But we spend our money anyways on them dont we? This team is a joke!!! And im not putting the blame on the current players. This is the result of a poor organization who seem to be taking advantage of its market.

Slow clap for katz, and i hate to be this guy who says this. But its absolutely true.

The edmonton oilers do not deserve all this talent on the team. MacT should simply release all these kids to the rest of the league!!! It would only be beneficial for the NHL. Because in all reality, even if the edmonton oilers had nobodies on the team, they would still sell out! Let the kids go so the NHL grows! It isnt fair to these superstar caliber players to be on a pathetic team like this. IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TALENT

#7 DSF
October 31 2013, 11:02AM
Ron Burgundy wrote:

"I think the most frustrating thing is there is really no quick fix to this mess. The other GM's know we are at a point of weakness and we aren't going to get a break in a trade."

I disagree with this notion. Buffalo sucks and is by your theory therefore dealing from weakness also, but were able to turn their overpaid, soft, skilled forward into a cheaper, pluckier version of the same guy and a first and second pick. The Oilers are also by your own assertion the same team they were in the summer, and they were able to turn MPS into Perron. You never know if you don't try.

On another note, before E-town turns into Jonestown after some mass suicide, lets look East. The New York Rangers were a playoff team last year, but this year sit 13th. Derek Stepan in particular was just under a point per game and was a plus 25 in 44 games. This year his point production is down and he's a minus 8 in 11 games. My point? New coach, new system - these things take time. If you want to get to the other side you don't change horses in midstream. Maybe I'm that classic domestic violence victim who always forgives and comes back, but I'm not Joshua - I'm not strong enough to leave this relationship, so all I've got is hope.

Now, if this team is still this mind-blowingly frustrating at the game 40 mark I'll buy the barrels and the kool-aid mix - might need some help on the cyanide...

Using the Rangers, who have made the playoffs 7 times in the last 10 years, as a comparable is interesting.

Bear in mind that the Rangers have played ONE home game after 10 straight on the road because of the renovations going on at MSG.

They also had most of their training camp in Banff so were away from NYC for a very long time.

With a ton of home games coming up, I expect they'll be back in the playoffs hunt very soon.

#8 oilerman53
October 31 2013, 10:23AM

Every Oiler fan here has a small glimmer of hope that maybe it was just a bad month. Averaging upwards of 30+ shots on goal a night has to be tipping the averages in our favor right? There are too many holes in this theory, the system that Eakins employed has basically returned this team to crap. For the past couple years the progression has been showing up in small areas. PP and PK were a huge step forward for this team under Renney and Krueger and now its non-existant. For a team that boasts such as Ebs and Yak, the PP just plain stinks.

This system that theyre trying to adapt to has no real identity, every game theyre running around in the d zone chasing pucks. I somewhat agree matching power against power but why did we get Gordon in the first place? Horcoff might be blamed for a lot of things but he was asked to do one thing and most nights he did it well. He was always employed against the other teams top lines, from a standpoint maybe Eakins is inching towards that complete game from his top players. Like Scotty Bowman using his best players in every situation, from that standpoint things seem to make sense. But the fans patience is the last thing that should be tested right now especially after seven years of losing seasons.

#9 mr common sense
October 31 2013, 11:38AM
Moving Forward wrote:

Lets move forward people-lets pay a little more and aquire Tootoo and Engelland and see how these two little tweaks add a whole bunch of life, spark and confidence to our soft,soft,small, highly skilled but very,very soft lineup.

P.S. Gazdic and MacIntyre are not soft but we need more Kaboom in our lineup...among other things...hey...its a start...how can things get any worse?

C'mon Mac T get on it!

PPS It's OK to trade Klefbom Mac T - he is very soft!!! ...hint...hint!!!

Steve Ott

#10 DSF
October 31 2013, 12:09PM

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Hurricanes announce Manny Malhotra has signed a 1 year/two way deal.

#11 Harlie
October 31 2013, 12:39PM

Hi Oilers,

At this point and I just shake my head and laugh at your continued futility. Instead of dreaming about wins I now dream, about the draft.

FU Oilers.

You suck!

Sincerely,

Harlie

#12 mr common sense
October 31 2013, 10:22AM

Steve Ott.

#13 ubermiguel
October 31 2013, 12:22PM

Offline fans I know have started talking about seeing other teams. I might go back to my ex (the the team I cheered for before the Oilers were in the NHL), if they'll have me back.

#14 Rama Lama
October 31 2013, 02:43PM
Hemmercules wrote:

This team and season are a steaming pile of crap right now , but I have to agree with Mact. Can't make a trade just for the sake of making one, if and improvement is there and the deal is good, go for it. But don't get fleeced your first season on the job 15 games in.

Start press boxing these guys when they think they can play soft and float around. Someone needs to give Yak another wake up call on how to play a hard shift every shift. I thought I saw on oil change that Eakins isn't even on the ice for practice half the time. Get out there and motivate/teach your system, obviously hanging around in the stands watching practice isn't working out too great.

Anyone who thought they would storm into the playoffs this year is delusional, but this is looking pretty bad. No quick fixes though so we wait.

I will still watch some games but like others here, I need to keep my distance a bit. So many hours watching so many loses takes its toll after a while. Thanks heavens I live far enough from Edmonton that I haven't spent too much on tickets these last few years.

Great comments on management.

If I managed my team like Eakins has done, I would have gotten fired by now. If you are the coach of a team that is losing, why on earth would you sit up with the reporter at practice?? Does Eakins have that much history with Smith and Buchburger that he trusts them to roll-out his system?

He does not even seem to know which players play which wings so sitting up in the stands with Bob Stauffer ( his professional apologist) seems we-todd-did!!!

#15 Bonvie
October 31 2013, 05:08PM

Is it two early for us Oiler fans to revert to our annual admission of missing the playoffs , and start figuring out who we will take for our lottery pick. All I can think of is how terrible Yakapov is and I have never seen a softer player defensively since watching this one player on my rec team. He plays much the same way floating outside the blue line hoping his team would turn the puck over and give it to him the best player on the ice if you judge best player by the biggest minus at the end of the game. All Yakapov is missing is a nice dark tinted visor, and he is a dead ringer for that Monday Night Hero.

Can't Yakapov play junior still. Please management return him to juniors, and maybe find a defenseman that is solid enough to cover for all of Justin Schultz's many defensive short comings. At least I still like Mr. Schultz for all the good things he can do, but he needs someone damn good defensively to play with.

#16 oilslick
October 31 2013, 10:13AM

I have been a fan since 1979 and I have been patient during this most recent rebuild. They will eventually come around they've got to get better it's got happen sometime...right? Wrong something has to be done and if it is trading Nail Yakupov or a first round pick or a combination of players to send a message to the core that losing is not acceptable I'm sick & tired of hearing you can't trade so-and-so because he's a young developing asset. We're a team of young developing assets who are not developing. So my message to Mr.McTavish is to get off of your "Assets" and a make a move to send a message to the players and to the fans that this level of play is not acceptable. Thank You..The vein in my forehead isn't throbbing as much now!!!

#17 madjam
October 31 2013, 11:31AM

The secret of advertising and sales is selling an image . At least we have some great high pressure salesmen running this club . How many have bought the image and not the product they thought it was ?

#18 Quicksilver ballet
October 31 2013, 11:35AM

Our relationship with the Oilers has similarities to the oldest trade in the world. Fans have a need they would like addressed, the Oilers attempt to provide you with said satisfaction and are more than willing take your money, but the passion only goes one way.

So wash up before you leave Rexall on Saturday. You've been screwed without even knowing it.

#19 DSF
October 31 2013, 12:20PM
Gaz wrote:

This proves that there are deals to be made out there with players throughout a team's lineup.

Oilers seem to suffer from paralysis by analysis (and that's being generous, as I may be wrongly assuming that they're spending time analyzing their players against others in the league).

I don't give much weight to the argument that "Old" GM's are trying to fleece MacT the "New" GM.

Yeah, I hear ya.

The Oilers have dreadful centre depth but both Colorado and Carolina who both have very good C depth just added to theirs today.

#20 NJ
October 31 2013, 12:25PM

My wife summed it up perfectly when I asked if she wanted to buy Oilers jerseys this year. She simply said "No Thanks".

It was in that moment I realized something. It is easier to cheer for the leafs. The penguins. Colorado. But it takes a true fan to stick through the thick and thin... Til death. So Oilers... Despite the continued suckage, our live affair will continue because I'm just that guy. When even my closest friend refuses to cheer, I will cheer on. Through every missed one timer, through every lackluster effort, through everything, we are here.

That is the problem. Are we stupid? Probably. But that one atom of hope rings through that MacT isn't dumb and that his Bold Move finally happens. (Yakupov, Klefbom and 2nd rounder for Lucic please)

Fml.

#21 Virtual_Xi
October 31 2013, 12:58PM

@oilerman53

scotty bow's best players were federov and yzerman, 2 unreal hockey players that refused to give up on a play. Until I see some compete from the other 5 top 6 players, wins ain't gonna happen. And yes, hemsky has been competing unreal, best backchecking skill forward we have.

#22 Fresh Mess
October 31 2013, 09:58AM

It is tough to do. Becoming a hockey fan rather than an oiler fan has been liberating for me. It brings clarity.

#23 DrDave
October 31 2013, 10:18AM

Love is pain people, love is pain...

#24 DSF
October 31 2013, 11:06AM

@Souby

The cavalry is NOT coming:

#25 Moving Forward
October 31 2013, 11:28AM

C'mon Mac T get on it!

PPS It's OK to trade Klefbom Mac T - he is very soft!!! ...hint...hint!!!

#26 bwar
October 31 2013, 11:50AM

I was just thinking about getting NHL centre ice and just following the Blues. The games have become too painful to watch. I am no longer excited for game days. I dread having to watch each game. The team seems to be showing no progress and after years of rebuilding I just don't know if I can take anymore. But how could I ever leave the Oil? Maybe I will give them just one more chance.

#27 Joilers8
October 31 2013, 11:57AM

Perhaps the Oilers should take down the protective netting around the rink, issue helmets with face guards to those fans affected by the removal of the net.

This way there will be some excitement at Rexall.

Yes I am stretching, but not too exciting at Rexall of late.

#28 2004Z06
October 31 2013, 11:57AM
Ron Burgundy wrote:

And how are Vancouver and Colorado doing under their new coaches/systems? The problem here is a lack of commitment to any coach/system!

#29 Jay
October 31 2013, 11:59AM

Has there been a worst franchise in professional sports over the last 8 years? Pretty pathetic stuff here

#30 Crooked
October 31 2013, 12:20PM

As a former Nordiques fan, I can honestly say I'd rather watch 18 years of godawful hockey, than not have a team to watch at all.

#31 bwar
October 31 2013, 12:24PM

Just had a thought I wanted to throw out there. If a random joe off the street was coaching the Oilers, would our record be any worse?

#32 Serious Gord
October 31 2013, 12:40PM

Greatest song about breaking up - ever.

Do give it a listen.

#33 MF
October 31 2013, 01:32PM
mr common sense wrote:

Steve Ott

I agree 100%. Definitely would be a great addition!

#34 Cowbell_Feva
October 31 2013, 03:38PM

I once wished I could live in Edmonton so I could go watch Oilers games live at Northlands. I now live here. I was given two Gold seats for the upcoming Flames game on Dec.7 and I gave them away for free.

How things have changed. Until there are 7000 fans in Rexall nothing will change with this team. Katz is a business man, not a hockey guru. He just likes hanging out with the Boys on the Bus and enjoying the Vancouver winters while his "team" toils in the basement year after year.

This organization has zapped any enjoyment I used to get cheering for the Oilers. It saddens me to say, but they have become the joke of the league. If you don't believe me, then look up the team with the longest playoff drought today. And nowhere near the playoffs I might add.

But this year is going to be different right?, just like the past five??

#35 bdiddy18
October 31 2013, 03:58PM

Looks like Reality has finally sunk in for even the most optimistic Oiler fan out there. Regardless of when you want to start the count of futility - you have discovered why its is so hard to rebuild a team from a draft table...it requires some tremendous gonads to suffer the fate of handing your team over to 18 year olds .

not all the talk in the world nor the optimistic documentaries produced can hide the fact that when you do hand your team over to 18 year olds...it will take at least 6 to 7 years for the first to reach their potential.

Then we did it for three years. At best a player hits their prime at 24 ..more often 25. Taylor Hall is 22, Nugent Hopkins 21, Nail Yakopov 20. keep on waiting...

Changing a coach regardless of how/when/why is a setback - new system, new style, new regiment. Press conferences dont tell you that.

Hiring Eakins was going to have a setback period.

Lars Eller was bang on - THIS IS A JUNIOR TEAM - most of them just lost their eligibility. So the Oilers Management team blew it to not shield these prospects behind some legit veterans....they just threw them into the fire on their own for three years now. Longer if you consider Gagner being placed on a roster as an 18 year old centre because the Oilers really didn't have anyone else to play there period.

so now your in the mushy gunk ugly pile of dung that is part of a rebuild. the second guessing commences and you begin to question was it really all worth it.

well it won't be worth it if you start pulling what Milbury did to the Islanders because of impatience of prospects.

The Oilers deserve a better record this season. But they don't have it...oh well to bad so sad....stop making excuses/trades/firings etc...just tell them to buck up... own it..boys need to become men now...enough is enough...put it squarely on the sholders of these young guns ... demand more from all of them...

J.Shultz play better! J.Petry are you an offesive dman or not? lets see it! N.Yakopov play fearless and backcheck! T. Hall when you return take charge..dont even ask for permission J. Eberle play with an edge! muck it up sometimes! and limit your toe drags to one a game - play smarter! R. Nugent-Hopkins get vocal, challenge your teamates!

so you have talent...great...are you a leader? stop looking around..take the lead! call out your teamates..be pissed ..sound off! BE MEN!

#36 Dipstick
October 31 2013, 09:58AM

Not wanting to be insensitive to actual abuse, but maybe we need to convert a sports pub or two into abused "Oiler fan" shelters. Great letter.

#37 Mike Krushelnyski
October 31 2013, 10:00AM

I've found that my relationship with the Oilers just needs a little space. We used to be together through every game, and there were some great times, but clearly things have changed and some distance is the best thing for both of us.

So we'll take a little time, instead of watching every game like I used to, I'll check in maybe every now and then, once a week, once a month, maybe with some friends to ease the pressure of a 1-on-1 situation. This will be good for us, Oilers! I can take some time to work on myself, you can take some time to work on yourself (you REALLY need it) and we'll both be better off for it.

This isn't goodbye, you just won't be seeing me as much as you're used to. And if some other team with better work ethic that scores more goals comes along and sweeps me off my feet...well you can't say I haven't given you enough chances to put a (Stanley Cup) ring on it.

#38 shanetrain
October 31 2013, 10:02AM

I feel Joshua's pain as do others I'm sure. Congrats to him - well done.

I also relate to your pain Jason with regards to the Dolphins. I want to watch tonight but I am becoming indifferent to that team as well.

Maybe handing out some candy and revelling in my kids excitement for tonight is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Alas, I am a glutton for punishment and will be catching whatever snippets of the game I can.

SIGH

#39 Wigswag
October 31 2013, 10:04AM

I used to be a Jets fan and the only reason I'm not is because they left. Had Phoenix moved back to Winnipeg I would be a Jets fan again but they didn't so I remain an Oiler fan. After the Jets left I became a Red Deer Rebels fan (where I was/am living). It was nice to have a team to cheer for even if it wasn't the NHL. Living in the area I've become an Oilers fan (yes I cheer for anybody but the flames and canucks) and don't see that changeing unless one of us leaves. Fortunately or unfortunately home is where the heart is.

#40 Soccer Steve
October 31 2013, 10:05AM

That this sort of thing comes from a non-affiliated journalist rather than from the organization itself is an apt representation of how the Edmonton Oilers currently are so poorly managed and operated.

#41 rubbertrout
October 31 2013, 10:11AM

Line of the year IMO

#42 Rama Lama
October 31 2013, 10:42AM

I just can't pull myself away from the television........... just in case, the Oilers score a bunch of goals and blow the opposition team out of the building. I see the young guns trying very hard to live up to their hype. The skate like the wind and usually past the puck which makes me sick..........that may be the popcorn I'm not sure.

I see the young fit coach whose claim to fame is understanding how to motivate individual players..........but are told he is " learning on the fly", and does not know what wings they play yet. We are told to be patient as he will eventually figure of what position each player is natural and best at playing. We are told to be patient as it takes time for line combinations to work themselves out. We are told that eventually all the injured players will come back and that that's when we can truly assess out team.

While all that may be true, should this work not have been done in the pre-season? Why are certain players allowed to make mistakes play 26 minutes, while others get benched. Why are other teams with half the talent, doing so much better............how have their youth figured out that making highlight reel plays does not win games and ours not?

I am too emotionally attached to this team so I can't break up..........I just can't be the breaker upper. I need to finish watching this train wreck hoping that somewhere along the way a miracle occurs . I'm left with just one thought.........at least Steve Tambellini is gone.

That's almost as good as a Stanely Cup!

#43 Quicksilver ballet
October 31 2013, 11:10AM

Look at it from a different perspective gents. Sam Reinhart could be all ours. We need another centerman anyways. With one more added to the fold, parting with one of the firsts++ for a top pairing blueliner won't hurt as much.

I'm fine with one or two more seasons in this state (metaphorically speaking, all of my personal belongings hanging off of a donkey) take this opportunity to do other things. Like growing a pair, and overcoming the fear of violence. That should be first and foremost on the Oils things to do list this season.

Retaliation is unlikely when your opponent has your stick impaled through his abdomen. Learn to embrace confrontation you little burgers....

#44 RexLibris
October 31 2013, 11:39AM

So, basically something along these lines...

I can't find it now, but there was a similar "its not you, its me" breakup video done by a Leafs fan a few years ago. Great stuff.

#45 bdiddy18
October 31 2013, 11:47AM

So long as you have angry passionate fans who respond to what all is wrong with the Edmonton Oilers - you still have their attention.

However, you always run the risk that continous losing turns into apathy and disinterest. This is where the Oilers are currently at... very soon if there is no sign of postiive things to come

the twitter comments will drop, the comments in these blog posts will be considerably less, the fans will skip watching games to do other things that actually might entertain them...

#46 bwar
October 31 2013, 11:56AM
DSF wrote:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

As @adater first reported, can confirm Max Talbot traded for Steve Downie

wow just wow.

#47 DSF
October 31 2013, 12:06PM
bwar wrote:

wow just wow.

Max Talbot is a centre and Colorado now has 6 bonafide NHL centres.

I wonder if another shoe is about to drop there.

#48 Gaz
October 31 2013, 12:17PM

@DSF

#49 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
October 31 2013, 12:48PM

#50 Quicksilver ballet
October 31 2013, 01:03PM

The Oilers appear to have all the scars of an organization that has been blackballed for some reason.

Lowe looks like a 7-8-9 blueliner/GM when he doesn't have a Messier or a Gretzky to carry him.