IT'S GETTING LATE EARLY

Lowetide
October 31 2013 05:09PM

 

The Oilers struggles early in the season bring some familiar items from years previous, including the extreme value of high draft picks. With the Oilers currently 28th overall in the NHL standings, a top 3 selection is possible (if things continue). How valuable is a pick that high? Very valuable. How good is this season's crop? Early returns are mixed. 

EARLY TOP 5

The top 5 is an interesting lot, and of course this is so early that we'll expect to see all kinds of movement in and out of the top 10 as the season rolls along. 

  1. C Sam Reinhart 6.01, 185. A two-way center (righthanded) who can deliver offensively (his 15, 9-18-27 with Kootenay is an impressive start, "in the range" with other top end players of recent vintage). He's from a hockey family, you can't find a negative word about the kid. Extremely likely to be drafted by Buffalo unless Tambo wants to help at the lottery. I spoke to Guy Flaming about him yesterday, and he is regarded as an outstanding prospect with impact offensive potential. (Reinhart photo at the top of this article courtesy Lisa McRitchie, all rights reserved)
  2. D Aaron Eklbad 6.04, 217. OHL ProspectsEkblad is a tower of power on the blueline. He's a physical specimen that is incredibly difficult to play against in the corners and in front of the net. Offensively, he's still growing and gaining confidence in his ability to run the transition game, but he's made great strides on the powerplay where he looks more confident distributing the puck and using his shot.
  3. C Willie Nylander 5.10, 163. Elite Prospects: A highly skilled player offensively. Nylander skates very well, has impressive hands and is excellent at handling the puck at high speeds.Hockey sense is very impressive and he likes to shoot the puck a lot, but is also capable of delivering perfect passes. A very agile player that protects the puck well and skates hard in the offensive zone. On the other hand, his defensive game needs some work. Not a selfish player, but at times he tends to hang onto the puck for too long, instead of making the easier play. Has the tools and skills to lead his team in all offensive aspects.
  4. C Leon Draisaitl 6.01, 209. The "German Gretzky"  would be a good fit in Edmonton. Kris BakerDraisaitl plays the game at high pace, using a slick handle and elusiveness to break into the zone. He shows good strength on the puck, and isn't afraid of using his body to make plays at both ends of the ice. Draisaitl's passing skills make him a dangerous threat when chased. If he continues to fire the puck more often, Draisaitl could pile up the points in his draft year and cement his status as a top-five pick
  5. L Sam Bennett 6.00, 178. OHL ProspectsBennett is simply a fantastic all around talent. He's been consistently one of the most dangerous players in the OHL this season (10 goals, 10 assists in 10 games). If there's a job that needs to get done, Bennett is the man to do it. His offensive instincts are terrific and he's great at finding holes in the defense, which will allow him to score his share of goals at the next level. But he's also a terrific playmaker who can assume that bull in a china shop mentality to make plays. His work along the boards and on the forecheck is also excellent. As a penalty killer and defensive player, his game is growing leaps and bounds, which suggests that he profiles as an above average two-way player moving forward. TSN scout Craig Button recently suggested that he could challenge for first overall, a concept that isn't incredibly far fetched.

FUTURE VALUE OF THE PICK

In previous seasons, the Oilers were looking at either moving up (last season) or adding picks (Taylor AND Tyler) but this coming season may be one in which Edmonton's pick is long gone.

Why? If Craig MacTavish is trying to pry an upgrade for the current Oilers then the first round pick is probably going to be asked after by other NHL clubs doing business with the Oil. 

The third overall pick has delivered an outstanding young player in recent seasons:

  • 2008: D Zach Bogosian
  • 2009: C Matt Duchene
  • 2010: D Erik Gudbranson
  • 2011: L Jonathan Huberdeau
  • 2012: C Alex Galchenyuk
  • 2013: L Jonathan Drouin

OVERALL QUALITY OF THE PROSPECTS

Its early, but sources have suggested that the 2014 crop of prospects is not as deep as 2013, especially the top of the chart:

  • Redline Report: "we don't feel the talent at the very top end of this class rivals last year's star studded crop." 

We should keep in mind that the draft year is just coming into view and not in complete focus. There's every chance the top 5 above will change order and others may work their way up to the top. 

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

It's a delicate balance. Craig MacTavish may have been mulling over trading the first round pick in 2014, but with that pick squarely in the lottery it may be too valuable to trade. That said, can the Oilers afford to put an emphasis on another high draft pick? Is it time to trade this pick BECAUSE it has such great (potential) value?

We'll see. A month from now the Oilers could be out of lottery territory and the point may be moot. Or they could be focused on the draft and next year. The draft pick--and the season--are in the balance.

Early. 

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#52 Zarny
October 31 2013, 08:30PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

If Krueger was still coach, Yakupov would have 7 goals by now. It's Eakins fault for Nails slow start. Eakins obviously has no clue when it comes to dealing with impact/elite players.

I hang Yakupovs slow start squarely at the feet of Dallas Eakins. He's creating problems where they don't exist. The kids have all had difficult moments, why single out just Yak?

Only a fool would trade a first rounder before he knows where that selection will be at. Ride this suckage out and add another player to fill one of many holes that still remain. The competitive Bruins team did just that with Seguin.

Relax.

Ovechkin didn't like it when Oates moved him to the other wing and struggled under a new system. He's doing ok now.

If Krueger was still coach, Yakupov might have 7 goals, but he'd never be a player you could put out during the last 2 minutes of a Stanley Cup final.

As for a clue about dealing with impact/elite players take a look at Kadri. 200 ft player now.

Avatar
#53 madjam
October 31 2013, 08:34PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Unfortunately their is nothing worth getting excited about next years draft personnel wise . Nothing going to make us better going into next season , and that's a depressing scenario and thought . we either trade our way out of this or spend another 4 years floundering in the basement of league hoping the odd one develops into a usable positive NHL player . Mind you our young ones will then be on their downswings or to expensive to keep . So goes the vicious circle/cycle of Oiler hockey life .

Avatar
#54 Harlie
October 31 2013, 08:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@DSF

Normally not down with the good grief thing but 'It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' is apropos right now, so I say cheers to you good man.

Avatar
#55 Don W
October 31 2013, 08:35PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Just looking back at the past drafts I wonder why anyone would think that the oilers could draft their way out of last place.

If they can trade the pick for a guy that can help this team play the right way I'm all for it.

Avatar
#56 Glenn
October 31 2013, 08:39PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
41
cheers

I am very sad to hear that kids yell at Eakins Oilers Suck in front of his 5 year old daughter! Also, that people yell Oilers Suck as they are driving away from the gas station. It is not his fault! He is too classy to make excuses or point fingers but none of this is his or MAC Ts fault, give them a chance! Jesus H C...! Ask anyone who knows hockey eg Ken Hitchcock, Randy Carlyle, Brian Burke etc. who the best young coach in hockey is- Dallas Eakins! Give him and MACT a chance please! Rome wasn't built in a day! He has a 4 year deal. By next year this team will be way better than today! GIVE HIM SOME SUPPORT or at least stop the ridiculous VERBAL ABUSE! Edmontonions are better than this!

Avatar
#57 DSF
October 31 2013, 08:41PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
32
cheers
Harlie wrote:

Normally not down with the good grief thing but 'It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' is apropos right now, so I say cheers to you good man.

Good Grief only gets pulled out when my Bullcrap Meter ® gets pinned in the red.

Anyone who doesn't lay this disaster at Lowe's feet is dreaming.

The buck stops there.

Avatar
#58 Dog Train
October 31 2013, 08:44PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

That draft pick looks more valuable right now than it will by season's end if you ask me. As bad as our record is right now, I have a hard time believing that we won't improve as the season rolls along. I don't see us making the playoffs, but I don't see us finishing in lottery territory again. If that 1st round pick helps us fetch a top pairing dman or a top 6 forward with size, grit and toughness then we would be foolish not to take a look at moving it.

Avatar
#59 Citizen David
October 31 2013, 08:49PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

I wouldn't count on a top 3 pick lol.

The slow start was predictable but they aren't that bad. Cgy, Buf, Fla, Jersey, Dallas, Winnipeg, Columbus, Carolina...it's a long season.

The preference is to trade the 2014 first rounder. Bold moves require currency.

MacT has 1 or 2 of the top 6 F, a couple D prospects and picks to get it done. No one wants to trade their McDavid ticket so 2014 it is.

You make the trade when the right deal is available but right now is unlikely. The upgrades MacT is looking for aren't available 13 games into the season.

Perhaps the trade deadline but it might not be there until the draft ie Jersey snags Schneider.

I bet the McDavid ticket is fools gold. Betman will want to bring in Seattle McDavid's year to help them out and get fans into it with a superstar. Expansion teams get the first overall.

Avatar
#60 Citizen David
October 31 2013, 08:56PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Keeping the pick is the best move unless we can get outside the top ten. Need to keep the pipeline flowing. In a couple years we will love to have a Draisaitl coming up.

Avatar
#61 DonDon
October 31 2013, 09:01PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Muji wrote:

Oh god. The season just started. After a long, long, long summer of anticipation. And we're already in Excited Last Place Hockey (ELPH) mode. No. No. Nooooooooo!

Isn't it Exciting Last Place Hockey?

Whatever it is, it is brutal to be an Oiler hockey fan. I have to feel sorry for the players, even if they have huge contracts. To anticipate that every game is a probable loss has to be terribly discouraging and demotivating.

Avatar
#62 Harlie
October 31 2013, 09:02PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Good Grief only gets pulled out when my Bullcrap Meter ® gets pinned in the red.

Anyone who doesn't lay this disaster at Lowe's feet is dreaming.

The buck stops there.

Hear ya, almost 40 and a new MLB and Chicago Cubs fan this summer, so my mind is open wide and now I'm ready to start.

'All the kids have always known That the emperor wears no clothes But they bow down to him anyway It's better than being alone'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSLRNflxHI

Avatar
#63 Quicksilver ballet
October 31 2013, 09:03PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
DSF wrote:

His jersey should be up in the rafters...with him in it.

Bazinga!

Well played sir.

Avatar
#64 StHenriOilBomb
October 31 2013, 09:05PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

So this just in on Twitter:

Ebs tweeted: Giving out the full bar this year. @Hallsy04 and I don't take shortcuts.

...no shortcuts? If you say so...

and then the fake MacT replied with this little gem:

@Ebs_14 @Hallsy04 Enough with the generous giveaways.

Perfect!

oh, and make the trade if it makes the team better for the next few years. Don't wait for perfect, because it may never come.

edit: I'm an idiot.

Avatar
#65 spliff
October 31 2013, 09:10PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
34
cheers

A quote from Ebs:

“We have full confidence we can come back. It’s going to turn around,” Jordan Eberle said. “I think there’s a lot more panic with you guys and in the city than there is in this dressing room."

WTF? There lies the problem. If Ebs and his millionaire buddies consistently played with the will to win, then yes, the fanbase should not panic. The problem is, they don't play hard every game, and after seven years of suck, a rebuild going in reverse, and a management team that makes Garth Snow look like Sam Pollock, I think its quite understandable that the fanbase is fed up. Also, I don't think the fanbase is panicking, I think the fanbase is disgusted and rightfully feels cheated by an unqualified management team that has not even come close to delivering a product that they promised us.

Avatar
#66 Zarny
October 31 2013, 09:10PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

I bet the McDavid ticket is fools gold. Betman will want to bring in Seattle McDavid's year to help them out and get fans into it with a superstar. Expansion teams get the first overall.

No I don't think expansion teams are guaranteed the 1st overall pick. Columbus, Minnesota, Nashville didn't. I believe they just get more balls in the lottery.

I also don't think the NHL will expand less than 2 years from now.

Still, if that was the case you could just trade that pick too.

Avatar
#67 DSF
October 31 2013, 09:12PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Dog Train wrote:

That draft pick looks more valuable right now than it will by season's end if you ask me. As bad as our record is right now, I have a hard time believing that we won't improve as the season rolls along. I don't see us making the playoffs, but I don't see us finishing in lottery territory again. If that 1st round pick helps us fetch a top pairing dman or a top 6 forward with size, grit and toughness then we would be foolish not to take a look at moving it.

I'm curious.

Since the lottery is now 14 teams, which 13 teams do you see the Oilers finishing ahead of?

Avatar
#68 DSF
October 31 2013, 09:15PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Relax.

Ovechkin didn't like it when Oates moved him to the other wing and struggled under a new system. He's doing ok now.

If Krueger was still coach, Yakupov might have 7 goals, but he'd never be a player you could put out during the last 2 minutes of a Stanley Cup final.

As for a clue about dealing with impact/elite players take a look at Kadri. 200 ft player now.

Dallas Eakins is NOT Randy Carlyle.

Avatar
#69 madjam
October 31 2013, 09:18PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Glenn wrote:

I am very sad to hear that kids yell at Eakins Oilers Suck in front of his 5 year old daughter! Also, that people yell Oilers Suck as they are driving away from the gas station. It is not his fault! He is too classy to make excuses or point fingers but none of this is his or MAC Ts fault, give them a chance! Jesus H C...! Ask anyone who knows hockey eg Ken Hitchcock, Randy Carlyle, Brian Burke etc. who the best young coach in hockey is- Dallas Eakins! Give him and MACT a chance please! Rome wasn't built in a day! He has a 4 year deal. By next year this team will be way better than today! GIVE HIM SOME SUPPORT or at least stop the ridiculous VERBAL ABUSE! Edmontonions are better than this!

Don't you be guilt tripping us here because of a couple of jerks you'll find in any city . I believe we are smitten by the Roman collapse of our team of which he is part of , not the rebuild as you allude to . He'll get his support when positive results come , and unlikely before that .

Avatar
#70 kale
October 31 2013, 09:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
a lg dubl dubl wrote:

Trade it. Trade it now.

I didn't catch the interview on 1260, but I heard that Byflugin(sp?) might be on the block, if that's true MacT better get on that ASAP lol

Naw, he is not fit or trim enough to play for the Oilers

Avatar
#71 dougtheslug
October 31 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
BLAKPOO wrote:

Hey man, like I said I'm not a Lowe fan. But seriously... MacT is solid. Eakins was the Godfather a month ago, now people think he sucks because the players aren't adhering to the system and giving the puck away every chance they have. What does this have to do with Lowe?

Tell me, right now, how firing Lowe gets us a win on Saturday? How does firing Lowe stop Yakupov from being a defensive liability? How does it help Dubnyk stop floaters from 50 feet out? How does it make Eager stop playing like a frightened girl? Make Hall's knee heal faster?

If it's March and our record is still as bleak, and Eakins' systems are still ineffectual, then maybe we can talk about management dropping the ball. But as it is now, although there's still miles to go, this team is as set up as it's been in years. It's up to the players now to fulfill their expectations.

MacT doesn't score the goals, you are correct. But he does make rookie GM strategical errors, like telegraphing to the league that he is boldly moving Horcoff and Hemsky, and then being surprised when experienced GM's lowball him with offers. leaving him unBOLDed.

For all his sales talk of bold moves, we are left with Grebishkov (now on waivers). Joensuu (looking more and more like a long term injury problem), Perron (out with mystery injury - concussion? what a surprise in a player that missed a year with one), Horcoff for Larsen ( in minors), Macintyre(reflex signing and a waste of cap space), Gadzic (old school face puncher with no other talents), and Boyd Gordon, a marginal upgrade on Belanger, it is beginning to look like. Belov might be a keeper although no more than a 5-6 dman on a good club. No upgrade in goal. No upgrade at center. No upgrade in toughness. No upgrade in compete. A rookie coach that seemed to have been signed impulsively after an interview for a different job. I rate his efforts so far as pretty amateurish, what you would probably expect for a rookie GM.

And what were his qualifications? Was he selected after an exhaustive search of the hockey world for crafty GM's out of a job? Did Kevin Lowe think outside the box? Or did he sign a buddy from the boys on the bus that happened to go to grad school and talked real good?

Avatar
#72 DSF
October 31 2013, 09:28PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

@dougtheslug

Jim Nill was available.

Oh, the humanity.

Avatar
#73 Shane
October 31 2013, 09:32PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

How long can you guys keep talking about the symptoms.

Treat the cause Not the symptom.

Avatar
#74 Zarny
October 31 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Dallas Eakins is NOT Randy Carlyle.

Eakins did the heavy lifting with the Marlies but Carlyle certainly isn't hurting his game.

Avatar
#75 Jackson
October 31 2013, 09:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Shane wrote:

How long can you guys keep talking about the symptoms.

Treat the cause Not the symptom.

Worst record in the NHL in the last 7 yrs . Definitely not treating the cause.

Avatar
#76 Citizen David
October 31 2013, 10:07PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

MacT doesn't score the goals, you are correct. But he does make rookie GM strategical errors, like telegraphing to the league that he is boldly moving Horcoff and Hemsky, and then being surprised when experienced GM's lowball him with offers. leaving him unBOLDed.

For all his sales talk of bold moves, we are left with Grebishkov (now on waivers). Joensuu (looking more and more like a long term injury problem), Perron (out with mystery injury - concussion? what a surprise in a player that missed a year with one), Horcoff for Larsen ( in minors), Macintyre(reflex signing and a waste of cap space), Gadzic (old school face puncher with no other talents), and Boyd Gordon, a marginal upgrade on Belanger, it is beginning to look like. Belov might be a keeper although no more than a 5-6 dman on a good club. No upgrade in goal. No upgrade at center. No upgrade in toughness. No upgrade in compete. A rookie coach that seemed to have been signed impulsively after an interview for a different job. I rate his efforts so far as pretty amateurish, what you would probably expect for a rookie GM.

And what were his qualifications? Was he selected after an exhaustive search of the hockey world for crafty GM's out of a job? Did Kevin Lowe think outside the box? Or did he sign a buddy from the boys on the bus that happened to go to grad school and talked real good?

Come back from insanity Doug. Boyd Gordan an marginal upgrade on Belanger??? The Belanger triangle was the worst thing I've every seen in hockey. If you stayed away from players with concussion history you'd have almost no one to choose from and you'd be excluding players like Crosby. The Perron trade was a massive win. Pajaarvi's injured at the moment too I believe. Belov has been one of our two best defenseman and we got him for free. Horcoff was about moving salary to make way for other deals. People gripe about moving Horcoff and not moving Hemsky... GM's don't care about what MacT says, it's about the position he is in. They didn't low ball him because he said he'd make bold moves but because he's a rookie GM for a team that's trying to turn the corner after a long dark period. He's made it abundantly clear that he won't make stupid deals that he gets ripped off in. That hasn't stopped the sharks from circling. It doesn't matter what he says. So far he has done so much more good than bad. If you expect him to fix ten problems on the team in one offseason then you're out to lunch.

Avatar
#77 Citizen David
October 31 2013, 10:08PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

Jim Nill was available.

Oh, the humanity.

Cause Dallas is doing so good...

Avatar
#78 Craig1981
October 31 2013, 10:16PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
DSF wrote:

I'm curious.

Since the lottery is now 14 teams, which 13 teams do you see the Oilers finishing ahead of?

Buffalo

Philly

Florida

Dallas

Calgary

NJ

Avatar
#79 DSF
October 31 2013, 10:25PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Craig1981 wrote:

Buffalo

Philly

Florida

Dallas

Calgary

NJ

Buffalo

Florida

Avatar
#80 DSF
October 31 2013, 10:30PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

Cause Dallas is doing so good...

Dallas is 3 points ahead of the Oilers and have 2 games in hand.

They are also 16th in possession while the Oilers are 28th.

The Stars will be fine.

http://www.extraskater.com/teams/2013/5v5close

Avatar
#81 dougtheslug
October 31 2013, 10:50PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

Come back from insanity Doug. Boyd Gordan an marginal upgrade on Belanger??? The Belanger triangle was the worst thing I've every seen in hockey. If you stayed away from players with concussion history you'd have almost no one to choose from and you'd be excluding players like Crosby. The Perron trade was a massive win. Pajaarvi's injured at the moment too I believe. Belov has been one of our two best defenseman and we got him for free. Horcoff was about moving salary to make way for other deals. People gripe about moving Horcoff and not moving Hemsky... GM's don't care about what MacT says, it's about the position he is in. They didn't low ball him because he said he'd make bold moves but because he's a rookie GM for a team that's trying to turn the corner after a long dark period. He's made it abundantly clear that he won't make stupid deals that he gets ripped off in. That hasn't stopped the sharks from circling. It doesn't matter what he says. So far he has done so much more good than bad. If you expect him to fix ten problems on the team in one offseason then you're out to lunch.

I am the last guy on earth that wants to quote DSF. But.....

results

matter.

Avatar
#82 Oiler Al
October 31 2013, 11:05PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

Come back from insanity Doug. Boyd Gordan an marginal upgrade on Belanger??? The Belanger triangle was the worst thing I've every seen in hockey. If you stayed away from players with concussion history you'd have almost no one to choose from and you'd be excluding players like Crosby. The Perron trade was a massive win. Pajaarvi's injured at the moment too I believe. Belov has been one of our two best defenseman and we got him for free. Horcoff was about moving salary to make way for other deals. People gripe about moving Horcoff and not moving Hemsky... GM's don't care about what MacT says, it's about the position he is in. They didn't low ball him because he said he'd make bold moves but because he's a rookie GM for a team that's trying to turn the corner after a long dark period. He's made it abundantly clear that he won't make stupid deals that he gets ripped off in. That hasn't stopped the sharks from circling. It doesn't matter what he says. So far he has done so much more good than bad. If you expect him to fix ten problems on the team in one offseason then you're out to lunch.

Like it or not, Dougs, evaluation on MacT's first year on the job is pretty much dead on.

Gordan vs Belanger...MacT had a guy down on the farm who is at least 80% as good a player at one tenth the contract in Acro, and didn't even know it.

Not saying MacT didn't try, but in the real world only results count.

Cap team, talking about draft picks after one month into season,after being in the ditch for seven years... kinda tells the story.

Dare to compare .... check out Denvers's postion today.

Avatar
#83 OILERSORDEATH
October 31 2013, 11:06PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
DSF wrote:

Dallas is 3 points ahead of the Oilers and have 2 games in hand.

They are also 16th in possession while the Oilers are 28th.

The Stars will be fine.

http://www.extraskater.com/teams/2013/5v5close

Please dude, the Stars suck ass too. What the Hell you watching?

Avatar
#84 spliff
October 31 2013, 11:23PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Klowe and MacT can rationalize and justify all of the things they've done so far in this 'rebuild", but the bottom-line is they are in last place in the Conference, again. When KLowe hires his buddies, and the team perpetually struggles despite massive financial support and incredible patience and loyalty from the fanbase, what does he expect? MacT said he looks at 14 game sample to make judgements. I'm looking at a 7 year sample, and from that sample I can safely say the KLowe and his sycophantic buddies are unqualified to manage an NHL team, and that they are absolute amateurs who have turned a once respected franchise into a perpetual basement dwelling laughing stock.

Avatar
#85 fed-up
October 31 2013, 11:31PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
DSF wrote:

Dallas Eakins is NOT Randy Carlyle.

You're right, he isn't.

But Eakins developed Kadri. Not Carlyle.

That's why he was brought in. The Leafs owe a lot of their success to Eakins.

Just saying

Avatar
#86 beloch
October 31 2013, 11:42PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

FFS Edmonton. Stop hogging the top picks! We all know you'll just play them on your top scoring line as 18 year olds, give them $6M/season before they've earned it, and eventually turn them into spoiled, defensively irresponsible, overpaid, post-loss-pub-crawling brats who wouldn't be worth a pugilist and a bag of pucks in a trade.

Avatar
#87 Tokenhill
October 31 2013, 11:46PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/31/my-bad-edmonton-oilers-coach-dallas-eakins-admits-a-mistake-tries-to-correct-it/

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.....

Avatar
#88 spliff
November 01 2013, 12:10AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Tokenhill wrote:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/31/my-bad-edmonton-oilers-coach-dallas-eakins-admits-a-mistake-tries-to-correct-it/

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.....

I just read the Staples article and just shake my head. Amateur city these guys are. I'm in management and before any new initiative or systems change takes place we perform our due diligence, look at potential scenarios and plan accordingly. This is why winning teams win, and why sh*tshows like the Oiler remain stuck in sh*t. With the fanbase at a boiling point, and this being arguably one of the most important years in franchise history, how can these types of amateur mistakes be allowed to happen. This one is on MacT, and my respect for him just slipped....a lot.

Avatar
#89 Mo Playoffs Mo Problems
November 01 2013, 12:13AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

@Tokenhill

Eakins: "I assumed that we knew what a traditional D-zone coverage was and it was clear that we didn't"

Did Dallas kinda just trash Smith/Bucky/Krueger/Renney?

I honestly think that presser was great: he absorbed blame, emphasized that his system has/will be tweaked, and emphasized that players will learn to make defence a priority so they can continue to showcase skill.

I know it's all talk at this point, but I'm willing to give it a bit of time to see if what he's saying will come true. If he can make Hemsky/Hall/Eberle/Yak 200 ft players, then maybe as fans we won't have to cling to excitement about top 5 draft projections every year...

Avatar
#90 Cynic
November 01 2013, 02:03AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@Tokenhill

Enjoy suffering through the 23rd straight year of being the worst franchise in the NHL.

Avatar
#91 BLAKPOO
November 01 2013, 02:13AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

I am the last guy on earth that wants to quote DSF. But.....

results

matter.

Here's the problem, and I know it sucks.

This season should have happened 3 years ago.

Did Lowe and Co. mess up terribly by hiring Tambellini and the Quinn/Renney duo?

Yes. A thousand times, yes.

Did Tambi destroy any chance of success for any coach during his reign by refusing to make the improvements necessary to develop a winning team and culture?

He sure did.

Can this, as well, be pinned on Kevin Lowe?

Yep, sure can.

Does this then automatically make the hiring of MacT, and subsequently, Eakins a bad decision?

Not at all.

We're just back to square one - where we should have been 3 years ago - with a few more guns in our holsters.

Now feel free to blame this completely on Kevin Lowe. If the fans had the power to eject him from his office for wasting 3 years of our lives and hard-earned cash, my Doc Marten would be the first boot print on his a$$.

The fact is we're past it now. We have a better team, a better GM and a better coach. Firing Lowe in no way changes our current circumstances.

They hit the reset button. It has been, and will be, an ugly start. But once this group can start to gel and find some stability, and play responsibly enough that the swarm system becomes effective, this team will be scary good. Don't be so pessimistic.

Once we do become successful, you can fully expect Lowe to be front-and-center, flashing his rings and taking credit for everything.. and by then you won't even care.

Avatar
#92 106 and 106
November 01 2013, 05:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Is this a record for talking next year's draft?

*cries into sleeve*

it wasn't supposed to be like this.

Avatar
#93 madjam
November 01 2013, 06:50AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

As some of the media has bought forth : Oilers fail to move forward because of the inability/under development of the fab 6 to move forward in their development . As they put it - it doesn't make much difference who they surround them with , as it's up to them to now carry the team to wins , not the other way around now . It's not happening and the blame lies with fab 6 for not taking over . Ruff giving them limited minutes was a good indicator of the stages they were at .

The Fab six is why we are where we are at . This season has seen them in arrested development or stagnant at best -thus team has very few wins . Is the Fab6 good enough or should they all be reassessed in light of results garnered ? They simply don't seem any where near capable of taking team to another level . Will they in the future - not on present course of arrested development .

Avatar
#94 season not played
November 01 2013, 07:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

It's going to be a long winter.

Avatar
#95 Loweblows
November 01 2013, 07:41AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Eakins now admits the swarm was a mistake because the team hadnt learned defensive fundamentals(see steve smith). It takes a man to admit their mistakes. As for the people telling Eakins he sucks in front of his 5 year old please stop. Eakins wanted his own people to help with the transition but KLowe had to protect his kingdom and wouldnt allow it. Save your venom for Lowe at the game or on postings like this site. Insulting a man in front of his children is classless.

Avatar
#96 dougtheslug
November 01 2013, 07:49AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
BLAKPOO wrote:

Here's the problem, and I know it sucks.

This season should have happened 3 years ago.

Did Lowe and Co. mess up terribly by hiring Tambellini and the Quinn/Renney duo?

Yes. A thousand times, yes.

Did Tambi destroy any chance of success for any coach during his reign by refusing to make the improvements necessary to develop a winning team and culture?

He sure did.

Can this, as well, be pinned on Kevin Lowe?

Yep, sure can.

Does this then automatically make the hiring of MacT, and subsequently, Eakins a bad decision?

Not at all.

We're just back to square one - where we should have been 3 years ago - with a few more guns in our holsters.

Now feel free to blame this completely on Kevin Lowe. If the fans had the power to eject him from his office for wasting 3 years of our lives and hard-earned cash, my Doc Marten would be the first boot print on his a$$.

The fact is we're past it now. We have a better team, a better GM and a better coach. Firing Lowe in no way changes our current circumstances.

They hit the reset button. It has been, and will be, an ugly start. But once this group can start to gel and find some stability, and play responsibly enough that the swarm system becomes effective, this team will be scary good. Don't be so pessimistic.

Once we do become successful, you can fully expect Lowe to be front-and-center, flashing his rings and taking credit for everything.. and by then you won't even care.

I am as crazily optimistic as the most deluded Oiler fan, but i fail to see what you base your cheery outlook on. We have the same problem in goal we had three years ago - specifically, a streaky #1 goalie who rarely wins games for a porous defence, soft but skilled wingers who lack toughness and the compete level necessary for todays NHL, and the same boys on the bus in charge. What's different? A GM who has never GM'd in the NHL? and who still thinks you improve team toughness by signing a face puncher that can't skate?

Let me ask you, do you expect the Oilers will win against Detroit Saturday? Really? The best we can hope for is another gong show like we saw in LA, getting outshot by a 3-1 margin, playing five on five like we are killing a penalty and hoping whatever goalie is in net will be able to drag us into OT.

Most NHL teams expect to win their hme games. Calgary's loss to the Leafs this week was their first regulation loss at home this year.Oilers have yet to win in regulation this year.

I'm just facing reality. With this management in place this team will never turn it around.

Avatar
#97 Loweblows
November 01 2013, 07:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
madjam wrote:

As some of the media has bought forth : Oilers fail to move forward because of the inability/under development of the fab 6 to move forward in their development . As they put it - it doesn't make much difference who they surround them with , as it's up to them to now carry the team to wins , not the other way around now . It's not happening and the blame lies with fab 6 for not taking over . Ruff giving them limited minutes was a good indicator of the stages they were at .

The Fab six is why we are where we are at . This season has seen them in arrested development or stagnant at best -thus team has very few wins . Is the Fab6 good enough or should they all be reassessed in light of results garnered ? They simply don't seem any where near capable of taking team to another level . Will they in the future - not on present course of arrested development .

The fab 6 as you call them would on any other team still be put in positions to succeed. That is they would be surrounded by veterans teaching them the ins and outs of winning. KLowe decided in his wisdom that youth needed no mentor. The kids will eventually learn what it takes to win mentally but also physically( they are still filling out). We are where we are because of managements unwillingness to address these needs. KLowe must go.

Avatar
#98 Lochenzo
November 01 2013, 09:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Too bad Connor McDavid isn't draft eligible until next season. Otherwise all this sucking might have been worthwhile.

Avatar
#99 Spydyr
November 01 2013, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Only an idiot would trade an asset before they knew what it was worth.A lotto pick is worth a lot more then a 10th overall or higher pick.

So I fully expect "the braintrust" to trade away that pick.They will do it to late to help this year.

Avatar
#100 Silver Streak
November 01 2013, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Whats is the story on Pitlick`s injury.....charleyhorse or knee ???

Comments are closed for this article.