THE BRYZ WITCH HUNT BEGINS

Wanye
November 18 2013 03:44PM

New Oilers tendy Ilya Bryzgalov faced the media for the first time this afternoon after practice. A great many questions lobbed in his direction were cringe worthy as the assembled scribes baited the newest Oiler to say something colourful and give them the quote they had all trudged down in the snow to get.

IS THIS HOW IT IS GOING TO GO?

We have spent a good amount of time watching Bryz interviews since the Oilers announced that they were bringing him in on a one year deal. The guy is clearly a different breed and his interviews on HBO's 24/7 are the stuff of legend. And it is embarassing to watch the reporters in this scrum try and pry out quotes of a similar ilk.

Bryz seems genuinely happy to be in Edmonton and grateful for a chance to be back in the NHL. Is Edmonton is first choice? No. But is he sounding like someone trying to make the best of things? Yes. He pumped the Oilers "great heritage" wisely lumping in Lowe and MacT in with Gretzky and Messier and seems be a happy go lucky fellow fighting through English as a second language to make himself understood.

But this wasn't a Dany Heatley type attitude - the guy doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body. This didn't seem to make any sort of the impressions on the hostile crowd of mics who wanted him to diss the city, the fans or anything really and asked only questions of the sort.

It's clear everyone covering the team is looking for him to say something crazy asap. "Do you think you suck?" "Don't you hate Philly?" "Isn't Edmonton crappy?" "Are you mad you were bought out?" The awkward questions just came at the poor guy rapid fire. We can't think of any other Oiler being raked over the coals in such a fashion - much less in his first day on the job.

You can hear Ryan Rishaug trying to be a tough guy asking the hard questions of the newest Oiler throughout the clip. It would be grand if he would take a similar approach with MacT, Eakins or Lowe who actually have had an impact in the product on the ice not a guy who hasn't even suited up in a single game but there you go. 

Bryz wasn't having it. He stayed positive, stayed classy and made it through the gauntlet unscathed.

FOR THE RECORD

We saw a panel over the weekend on one of the networks suggest that Bryz was being brought in as a designated dressing room distraction designed to take the heat off the underperforming mega studs. If the Oilers are going to get things righted again reclamation projects are going to be a key part of the re-re-rebuild. The Oilers need to be a place where players can come to turn things around in a positive place - not in some hostile environment like what we see in the scrum above. Hopefully Bryz's new team mates are a bit more welcoming.

Not everyone in Edmonton wants you to fail. In fact some of us want to see you dominate. I'll say it again: Не каждый в Эдмонтонских желаниях Вы, чтобы терпеть неудачу. Фактически некоторые из нас хотят видеть, что Вы возглавляете.

Good luck to you Bryz.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Email me at wanyegretz@gmail.com or tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes.
Avatar
#101 Quicksilver ballet
November 18 2013, 07:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

Ryan can't do it to Lowe and MacT because they'll send him gallows if he does. Robin on the other hand…Not on the Oilers Pay Role….GO GET EM CHAMP.

Not sure how much success Lowe/the Oilers would have punting anyone under that TSN umbrella to the curb. Them being joined at the hip with the league and all.

Agreed as to your point though. Someone needs to step outside their comfort zone to challenge them. If it's a group (TSN or CBC or SN) there may not be the bloodbath of a solo effort. We've seen a number of players throw themselves on grenades the last few yrs (Gags/Beauchemin, Gazdic/McGratton) Maybe Robin Brownlee as well, isn't afraid of a little blood. Not sure Dave would give him the time needed off.

Avatar
#102 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 07:33PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

http://firstrownow.eu/watch/222362/1/watch-russia-vs-qmjhl.html

this is much more interesting.

Ivan Barbashev looks very good.

Avatar
#103 Chainsawz
November 18 2013, 07:33PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

Asking about the weather and personal feelings about another team are irrelevant questions for a new goalie that just joined the Oilers.

It would be like asking a new GM what he thinks about drinking and driving.

Unless you were baiting for a quote.

Avatar
#104 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 07:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

He has a unique perspective to view the performance of a very well run organization vs. a very dysfunctional one.

No surprise you might see it that way.

His job is NOT to be a cheerleader.

Staufer already got that job.

Isn't that kind of telling though?

The guy paid to play cheerleader is a better analyst of this sh!tty team than the freewheeler?

Not good for Spector.

Avatar
#105 Neal
November 18 2013, 07:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

It shouldn't be too hard to realize that "Bryze's" main purpose in being here is to light a fire under Duby's ass. From the looks of it, it's worked spectacularly well so far.

In unrelated news, nobody has questioned the PP or why we can't cycle today...

Avatar
#106 DSF
November 18 2013, 07:39PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Isn't that kind of telling though?

The guy paid to play cheerleader is a better analyst of this sh!tty team than the freewheeler?

Not good for Spector.

I don't hear enough of either one of them to make a judgement to be honest.

But based on comments here and elsewhere, Staufer has lost his critical eye now that he's on the team payroll.

No surprise there.

Avatar
#107 Hits from the BoNg
November 18 2013, 07:42PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
39
cheers

Ryan Rishaug is a Gossip Girl. His tactics are more TMZ than TSN. Congrats Rishaug, you giant douche bag, media card revoked...Papparazzi card issued !

Avatar
#108 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 07:43PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
DSF wrote:

I don't hear enough of either one of them to make a judgement to be honest.

But based on comments here and elsewhere, Staufer has lost his critical eye now that he's on the team payroll.

No surprise there.

Stauffer has definitely lost a step in terms of massaging the realities.

But he's more than made up for it by having a much more complex understanding of the game that he's developed over the years.

Spector is a poor man's Skip Bayless. He relies entirely on simple narratives of what leads to success/failure.

Avatar
#109 DSF
November 18 2013, 07:54PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Stauffer has definitely lost a step in terms of massaging the realities.

But he's more than made up for it by having a much more complex understanding of the game that he's developed over the years.

Spector is a poor man's Skip Bayless. He relies entirely on simple narratives of what leads to success/failure.

You're just giving Stauffer credit because he's parroting "advanced" stats which of course reaffirms your view (however flawed) of the world.

Simple narratives are often overlooked in the way that common sense is.

You were one of the many Statzis who were convinced the Oilers were making significant profess this season based on their "advanced" stats when pretty such any old fool could have told you (and did) that the Oilers early season Corsi/Fenwick/Close/Far/Even/ was based on the quality of their opponents and, as soon as they began to play better teams, they would go in the tank.

They did and they did.

That's a "simple narrative" that just happens to be accurate as so many of them are.

Avatar
#110 PutzStew
November 18 2013, 07:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Not sure how much success Lowe/the Oilers would have punting anyone under that TSN umbrella to the curb. Them being joined at the hip with the league and all.

Agreed as to your point though. Someone needs to step outside their comfort zone to challenge them. If it's a group (TSN or CBC or SN) there may not be the bloodbath of a solo effort. We've seen a number of players throw themselves on grenades the last few yrs (Gags/Beauchemin, Gazdic/McGratton) Maybe Robin Brownlee as well, isn't afraid of a little blood. Not sure Dave would give him the time needed off.

There are how many other guys that would be happy to stepping to Ryan's shoes. Oilers could get the change made very easily if they wished it to happen.

Yes TSN is the Leader but if Oilers quit given exclusives, TSN would make the move. It's all about the Benjamin's and exclusives mean more money.

Personally I think most of Edmonton's Media that is too scared to say anything bad about the powers to be and I question the control the Oilers team have on the Media. I live in Sylvan and listen to the Fan 960. Calgary media will rip the management when when every the need be. It's quite refreshing. I don't listen to Edmonton media anymore because the come off as such sell outs.

It's really to bad because in the situation Edmonton is in it should be the media keeping the Team Honest and I have seen nothing of that. J

Avatar
#111 merlen
November 18 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
DSF wrote:

Which reporters then?

Name them or you're tarring all of them with the same brush.

And here's something for you...

What are 5 questions you would have asked Bryzgalov that would have elicited any meaningful answers?

Go.

1. What do you expect your role to be coming in at this stage? 2. How much have you been on the ice since your last full game? 3. Have you been training regularly through the fall? 4. Was there any talks with other organizations before the oilers? 5. Have you watched any oiler games since signing with the team?

When you're doing your next interview, you can use them, I really would like to know the answers. I know, there will be no youtube answers, but hey, you can hold your head up high, knowing you asked hockey questions...

Avatar
#112 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 07:59PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

You're just giving Stauffer credit because he's parroting "advanced" stats which of course reaffirms your view (however flawed) of the world.

Simple narratives are often overlooked in the way that common sense is.

You were one of the many Statzis who were convinced the Oilers were making significant profess this season based on their "advanced" stats when pretty such any old fool could have told you (and did) that the Oilers early season Corsi/Fenwick/Close/Far/Even/ was based on the quality of their opponents and, as soon as they began to play better teams, they would go in the tank.

They did and they did.

That's a "simple narrative" that just happens to be accurate as so many of them are.

I didn't mention adv. stats. at all.

Stauffer is much more than that. Not having listened to him, I can see you must be an expert on his conversations and reflections on hockey.

I wasn't "convinced" of anything. I encourage you to find evidence of this claim.

They were playing better (and it was reflected in the stats., adv. and otherwise) and then they were playing much, much worse, (which… go figure, was also reflected in the stats).

Since when is discussing reality a strange thing to do.

Avatar
#113 Quicksilver ballet
November 18 2013, 07:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Hits from the BoNg wrote:

Ryan Rishaug is a Gossip Girl. His tactics are more TMZ than TSN. Congrats Rishaug, you giant douche bag, media card revoked...Papparazzi card issued !

Those were definitely the actions of a guy who needed a hug. Ilya should've taken that opportunity to reach out to him in his time of need.

Avatar
#114 PutzStew
November 18 2013, 08:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
DSF wrote:

I don't hear enough of either one of them to make a judgement to be honest.

But based on comments here and elsewhere, Staufer has lost his critical eye now that he's on the team payroll.

No surprise there.

I heard Stauffer in other cities an he is a great interview. He speaks the trough in those situations, but when he is on CHED he always seems to be towing the party line??? I actually heard him say two opposite things in one day ac couple years ago, for a BOA. One on the Fan in Calgary and then he said the exact opposite in his show. It made no sense but also makes me wonder about the validity of the Edmonton Sports media.

Tow the line or else????

Avatar
#115 Reagan
November 18 2013, 08:00PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Ryan Richard's questions were annoying. Trying to get to the root of nothing. Reminds me of a few years ago, Mac T days is that a mandate of yours... "he has to stop asking the stupid questions...

Avatar
#116 Harvey X.
November 18 2013, 08:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

It's a little disturbing how some people in the media try to create controversy before the guy even has his bags unpacked! He handled himself amazingly well under that kind of scrutiny.......give the guy a break and welcome him to town. He may have done said or done some things in the past that he now regrets but he's obviously looking forward and not back! Welcome to town Bryz!!!

Avatar
#117 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:06PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
merlen wrote:

1. What do you expect your role to be coming in at this stage? 2. How much have you been on the ice since your last full game? 3. Have you been training regularly through the fall? 4. Was there any talks with other organizations before the oilers? 5. Have you watched any oiler games since signing with the team?

When you're doing your next interview, you can use them, I really would like to know the answers. I know, there will be no youtube answers, but hey, you can hold your head up high, knowing you asked hockey questions...

Likely answers:

1) I play goal and stop pucks (duh)

2) I play in Las Vegas for a while and then I've been skating (duh)

3) Yes.

4) That was asked, He refused to answer.

5) That was asked. He said he watches all NHL.

So, we've learned absolutely nothing we didn't already know.

Pablum.

Avatar
#118 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:06PM
Trash it!
29
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Harvey X. wrote:

It's a little disturbing how some people in the media try to create controversy before the guy even has his bags unpacked! He handled himself amazingly well under that kind of scrutiny.......give the guy a break and welcome him to town. He may have done said or done some things in the past that he now regrets but he's obviously looking forward and not back! Welcome to town Bryz!!!

He created the controversy, not the media.

Avatar
#119 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:07PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

I heard Stauffer in other cities an he is a great interview. He speaks the trough in those situations, but when he is on CHED he always seems to be towing the party line??? I actually heard him say two opposite things in one day ac couple years ago, for a BOA. One on the Fan in Calgary and then he said the exact opposite in his show. It made no sense but also makes me wonder about the validity of the Edmonton Sports media.

Tow the line or else????

Absolutely.

Ask John Short.

Avatar
#120 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:13PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I didn't mention adv. stats. at all.

Stauffer is much more than that. Not having listened to him, I can see you must be an expert on his conversations and reflections on hockey.

I wasn't "convinced" of anything. I encourage you to find evidence of this claim.

They were playing better (and it was reflected in the stats., adv. and otherwise) and then they were playing much, much worse, (which… go figure, was also reflected in the stats).

Since when is discussing reality a strange thing to do.

I have listened to him from time to time...nothing earth shattering or even very interesting.

And, no you didn't mention advanced stats...I did.

And they weren't playing better...they were playing crappy opponents.

Take a look at their record against playoff teams and WC teams.

It's been crappy from day one.

Of course, that's a simple narrative that is backed up by the "advanced" stats, the real stats and their record.

Avatar
#121 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Stepniak exacting revenge against Ference by taking out Montoya.

Actually, looked entirely incidental, but Montoya's hair is hilarious and I for that reason, mostly, I hope he's ok. Looks fine.

Avatar
#122 Why me?
November 18 2013, 08:13PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Rishaug should just stick to what is written on his prompter. Be the "pretty boy" he's paid to be. Of course his buddy Jason Negative will defend him. If not, mother corp would spank him. Et Tu Robin? You were better. Ryan's questions and his out of control ranting on Yakupov makes me question his "hatred"??? Of Russians.

Avatar
#123 Cynic
November 18 2013, 08:20PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

"Statzis"

Perfect.

I'm stealing that. Just so you know.

Avatar
#124 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:23PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

I have listened to him from time to time...nothing earth shattering or even very interesting.

And, no you didn't mention advanced stats...I did.

And they weren't playing better...they were playing crappy opponents.

Take a look at their record against playoff teams and WC teams.

It's been crappy from day one.

Of course, that's a simple narrative that is backed up by the "advanced" stats, the real stats and their record.

If the teams they were playing well against early in the season (Devils, Habs, Leafs, Caps, Pens) were all unflinchingly brutal possession teams (applies to us, Leafs, Caps), you'd have a point!

Besides, quality of competition, road games, etc. were all acknowledged at the time.

It is a very simple truth. They were playing better. Then they were playing much much worse.

This isn't some incomprehensible logic at work here. No one is proclaiming some truth that is hard to swallow.

you are merely arguing to be disagreeable.

Avatar
#125 merlen
November 18 2013, 08:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Likely answers:

1) I play goal and stop pucks (duh)

2) I play in Las Vegas for a while and then I've been skating (duh)

3) Yes.

4) That was asked, He refused to answer.

5) That was asked. He said he watches all NHL.

So, we've learned absolutely nothing we didn't already know.

Pablum.

I don't want to know your answers?.. Duh So, what did you learn from the stupid questions? Just that Bryz is smarter than the room full of so called reporters. Duh.

Oh we'll I'm sure they will keep trying, they prove time and again that they're just as much of the problem as the management is...Duh!!!

Go Oilers! And Go Bryz!!!

Later,

Avatar
#126 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:32PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

If the teams they were playing well against early in the season (Devils, Habs, Leafs, Caps, Pens) were all unflinchingly brutal possession teams (applies to us, Leafs, Caps), you'd have a point!

Besides, quality of competition, road games, etc. were all acknowledged at the time.

It is a very simple truth. They were playing better. Then they were playing much much worse.

This isn't some incomprehensible logic at work here. No one is proclaiming some truth that is hard to swallow.

you are merely arguing to be disagreeable.

Take a closer look at these games.

Vancouver

Washington

Pittsburgh

Phoenix

Los Angeles

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Chicago

Dallas

San Jose

You know, the good teams.

They were buried.

It's a simple truth...they were playing like crap from the beginning of the season unless they were playing weak EC teams or the dregs of the west.

Swallow hard.

Avatar
#127 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:32PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Cynic wrote:

"Statzis"

Perfect.

I'm stealing that. Just so you know.

You're welcome.

Enjoy!

Avatar
#128 Eddie Shore
November 18 2013, 08:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

Hey DSF, is there any question you don't have the answer for?

...asking for a friend.

Avatar
#129 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:38PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

Take a closer look at these games.

Vancouver

Washington

Pittsburgh

Phoenix

Los Angeles

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Chicago

Dallas

San Jose

You know, the good teams.

They were buried.

It's a simple truth...they were playing like crap from the beginning of the season unless they were playing weak EC teams or the dregs of the west.

Swallow hard.

What is your basis for claiming the Devils, Habs and Pens are "weak EC teams?"

I'd be interested to hear it.

In case anyone is interested:

http://www.extraskater.com/teams/on-ice?type=total

Avatar
#130 Hockey Problems
November 18 2013, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

If I were Yak and Bryz, I'd just start answering questions in Russian. "There you go Rishaug, decrypt that cypher ... you goof"!

Avatar
#131 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:47PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

What is your basis for claiming the Devils, Habs and Pens are "weak EC teams?"

I'd be interested to hear it.

In case anyone is interested:

http://www.extraskater.com/teams/on-ice?type=total

Read a little more closely.

I mentioned Pittsburgh as a good team.

New Jersey is currently in 11th spot in the weak EC. They would be in 13th in the WC. (1-4-3 vs. WC)

Montreal would be in 12th spot in the WC. (5-6-1 vs. WC)

Results matter.

Avatar
#132 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:47PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

Hey DSF, is there any question you don't have the answer for?

...asking for a friend.

No.

Avatar
#133 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Ha!

Smid rushing to the net is musical. Love that guy. hilarious. Wish he potted that wrap around.

Avatar
#134 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:50PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Ha!

Smid rushing to the net is musical. Love that guy. hilarious. Wish he potted that wrap around.

Wish he had scored there.

Would have been a great story.

Avatar
#135 Harlie
November 18 2013, 08:51PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I loved Shaug bringin the heat! Heck I was thinking while he was doing it that he was doing it for the benefit of us. Crazy me.

Avatar
#136 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

Read a little more closely.

I mentioned Pittsburgh as a good team.

New Jersey is currently in 11th spot in the weak EC. They would be in 13th in the WC. (1-4-3 vs. WC)

Montreal would be in 12th spot in the WC. (5-6-1 vs. WC)

Results matter.

Sorry, we were talking about adv. stats. remember? You brought it up, remember?

Avatar
#137 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DSF wrote:

Wish he had scored there.

Would have been a great story.

Totally, I hope they put him in the shootout!

Avatar
#138 Pouzar99
November 18 2013, 08:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

As a former non sports (with one massive exception) journalist with 30 years experience I am in favour of asking very tough questions to authority figures. It is the job of the media to challenge the powerful, which means the politicians, the police, corporate leaders, and, yes, even sports figures. For the most part those tough question should be addressed to the general manager or the coach, however, but in some circumstances of athletes as well, usually in relation to controversial incidents.

Grilling an athlete who has not even played for the team, and is in now way responsible for its struggles is pushing things a bit, but I think it was absolutely right that Bryzgalov was asked about what went wrong in Philadelphia last season. After he made it clear that he did not acknowledge that his play or his allegedly "flakey" behaviour were part of the problem in Philadelphia, there was really no point in continuing to ask the same question in increasingly blunt and, frankly, insulting terms in an apparent attempt to goad Bryzgalov into an angry response. Listening to the scrum on the radio while driving I admit that I started to cringe a bit. As someone who cut his teeth as The Journal's only real investigative reporter for years I have had a lot of experience in asking tough questions to genuinely powerful people, but this was just inappropriate, amateurish behaviour in my opinion; the behaviour of someone who wants to be seen as a 'real' journalist, but doesn't real know how to be one. Bryz was asked and he answered. Now it is time to, as he asked, give him a chance to show what he can do.

How does a real sports journalist behave? The tough questions asked by Journal columnist John MacKinnon of Kevin Lowe at the press conference when MacTavish was appointed as GM were examples of real journalism and asking them takes real stones, believe me. His questions were pointed but absolutely fair and Lowe's angry reaction gave us some real insight. That is how you do it.

Avatar
#139 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:59PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Sorry, we were talking about adv. stats. remember? You brought it up, remember?

"Advanced stats", to be charitable, are less valuable than "simple narratives" to predict outcomes.

Shot differentials over a large enough sample size will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

And that stat has been around for decades.

Avatar
#140 DSF
November 18 2013, 08:59PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Sorry, we were talking about adv. stats. remember? You brought it up, remember?

"Advanced stats", to be charitable, are less valuable than "simple narratives" to predict outcomes.

Shot differentials over a large enough sample size will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

And that stat has been around for decades.

Avatar
#141 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 09:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
DSF wrote:

"Advanced stats", to be charitable, are less valuable than "simple narratives" to predict outcomes.

Shot differentials over a large enough sample size will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

And that stat has been around for decades.

Umm… so we're back to square one…

the Oilers were playing better (having better shot differentials) earlier

than they are now (much much worse shot differentials)

against some teams that have very poor shot differentials (Tor, WPG, Caps)

and some that have very good shot differentials (Habs, Devils, Pens).

So… reality.

Avatar
#142 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 09:08PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ha!

Monahan. Kid's got the Midas Touch! Fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

Avatar
#143 DSF
November 18 2013, 09:12PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Pouzar99 wrote:

As a former non sports (with one massive exception) journalist with 30 years experience I am in favour of asking very tough questions to authority figures. It is the job of the media to challenge the powerful, which means the politicians, the police, corporate leaders, and, yes, even sports figures. For the most part those tough question should be addressed to the general manager or the coach, however, but in some circumstances of athletes as well, usually in relation to controversial incidents.

Grilling an athlete who has not even played for the team, and is in now way responsible for its struggles is pushing things a bit, but I think it was absolutely right that Bryzgalov was asked about what went wrong in Philadelphia last season. After he made it clear that he did not acknowledge that his play or his allegedly "flakey" behaviour were part of the problem in Philadelphia, there was really no point in continuing to ask the same question in increasingly blunt and, frankly, insulting terms in an apparent attempt to goad Bryzgalov into an angry response. Listening to the scrum on the radio while driving I admit that I started to cringe a bit. As someone who cut his teeth as The Journal's only real investigative reporter for years I have had a lot of experience in asking tough questions to genuinely powerful people, but this was just inappropriate, amateurish behaviour in my opinion; the behaviour of someone who wants to be seen as a 'real' journalist, but doesn't real know how to be one. Bryz was asked and he answered. Now it is time to, as he asked, give him a chance to show what he can do.

How does a real sports journalist behave? The tough questions asked by Journal columnist John MacKinnon of Kevin Lowe at the press conference when MacTavish was appointed as GM were examples of real journalism and asking them takes real stones, believe me. His questions were pointed but absolutely fair and Lowe's angry reaction gave us some real insight. That is how you do it.

Agree for the most part.

As a former non sports journalist with 40 years experience I agree with your overall sentiment and the awkwardness of some of the questioning was palpable but the "amateurish" nature of the proceedings doesn't supersede the appropriateness of asking those questions.

I think part of the disconnect is that, for the most part, sports journalism is a contradiction in terms since there is a very long tradition of sports beat reporters to be nothing more than purveyors of cliches and platitudes and when any reporter tries to step out of the mold, it appears forced and odd.

I do agree that MacKinnon did something that is lacking in coverage of the Oilers but it is vey rare (even from MacKinnon) and, given the state of the team at this juncture should be much more in evidence.

Avatar
#144 DSF
November 18 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Umm… so we're back to square one…

the Oilers were playing better (having better shot differentials) earlier

than they are now (much much worse shot differentials)

against some teams that have very poor shot differentials (Tor, WPG, Caps)

and some that have very good shot differentials (Habs, Devils, Pens).

So… reality.

Habs: -1.1 SH/G

Devils: +0.9 SH/G

Those are not very good shot differentials...they stink.

The Penguins, as I noted earlier, are a very good team and their record shows it.

Might want to take a look at the shot differentials against the good teams I mentioned earlier.

It ain't pretty.

Here I'll get you started.

Game 1 - Winnipeg Jets 38F 28A (still managed to lose the game)

Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks 23F 44A (oops...good team)

Game 3 - New Jersey Devils 27F 25A (crappy EC team)

Game 4 - Montreal Canadiens 28F 27A (mediocre EC team)

Game 5 - Toronto Maple Leafs 31F 26A (everyone outshoots the Leafs)

Game 6 - Washington Capitals 20F 20A (mediocre EC team)

Game 7 - Pittsburgh Penguins 22F 28A (oops another good team)

Game 8 - New York Islanders 29F 40A (shameful)

Game 9 - Ottawa Senators 21F 36 A (shameful)

Game 10 - Montreal Canadiens 32F 32A (against a weak EC team)

Game 11 - Washington 31F 26A (another weak EC team)

Game 12 - Phoenix Coyotes 30F 28A (good job!)

Game 13 - Los Angles Kings 18F 40A (oh the humanity)

Game 14 - Toronto Maple Leafs 43F 26A (and they lost 4-0)

Game 15 - Florida Panthers 27F 23A (Florida.)

Now, take a close look at the shot differential against WC teams who are currently in the playoffs. (-41)

It gets worse from here.

Avatar
#145 Butters
November 18 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DSF wrote:

No.

Not always the correct one I've noticed ;-)

Avatar
#146 DSF
November 18 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Butters wrote:

Not always the correct one I've noticed ;-)

Pretty much.

Ask me about the Minnesota Wild. 💥

Avatar
#147 dangilitis
November 18 2013, 09:39PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

You're just giving Stauffer credit because he's parroting "advanced" stats which of course reaffirms your view (however flawed) of the world.

Simple narratives are often overlooked in the way that common sense is.

You were one of the many Statzis who were convinced the Oilers were making significant profess this season based on their "advanced" stats when pretty such any old fool could have told you (and did) that the Oilers early season Corsi/Fenwick/Close/Far/Even/ was based on the quality of their opponents and, as soon as they began to play better teams, they would go in the tank.

They did and they did.

That's a "simple narrative" that just happens to be accurate as so many of them are.

Please see a psychiatrist soon.

I don't understand how someone can trump advanced stats when it suits them to attack fans who are much more knowledgeable about their use than you are, but then turn your back on those who appraise them when it also suits you.

Oh, no, wait, I think I get it...

So, to recap - DSF dicktionary, volume 2 (just the last few days)

1) Olers are not tough enough, but Ference should not have stood up for himself against a guy who was pushing him around. And when he did, the only logical retribution would be to have a Flames player injure him (see Flames GDB for those of you who didn't see this logical chain of thought...)

2) Oilers suck because they have a poor corsi. But analysts who try to venture to understand advanced stats as a component of their analysis are outright morons.

3) Ryan Rishaug = dreamboat...

Well played, DSF. I am sure I will be coming out with DSF Dicktionary, volume 3 within the next few days, after you open your mouth a bit more.

Avatar
#148 Dangilitis
November 18 2013, 09:42PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

Agree for the most part.

As a former non sports journalist with 40 years experience I agree with your overall sentiment and the awkwardness of some of the questioning was palpable but the "amateurish" nature of the proceedings doesn't supersede the appropriateness of asking those questions.

I think part of the disconnect is that, for the most part, sports journalism is a contradiction in terms since there is a very long tradition of sports beat reporters to be nothing more than purveyors of cliches and platitudes and when any reporter tries to step out of the mold, it appears forced and odd.

I do agree that MacKinnon did something that is lacking in coverage of the Oilers but it is vey rare (even from MacKinnon) and, given the state of the team at this juncture should be much more in evidence.

Sorry, must have missed #4

4) "former non sports journalist" - has been hack who knows nothing about hockey, other than how to poorly represent the Vancouver fan base and make a mockery of himself at each Oilers related blog...

Avatar
#149 Harlie
November 18 2013, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@DSF

Cliches and platitudes and those lip smackin' mm mm good baby back ribbbbbs from TR's.

Avatar
#150 YWG
November 18 2013, 09:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
John wrote:

I am pretty sure that there is no video with Bryz trashing Edmonton, he is talking about Winnipeg.

That's right Oiler fan, because while Bryz had complaints with Winnipeg weather, it's surely miles better in Edmonton huh? I'm pretty sure he made similar complaints or 'trashing' regarding both climates. But I guess we can see the Alberta education system hard at work here.

Comments are closed for this article.