THE BRYZ WITCH HUNT BEGINS

Wanye
November 18 2013 03:44PM

New Oilers tendy Ilya Bryzgalov faced the media for the first time this afternoon after practice. A great many questions lobbed in his direction were cringe worthy as the assembled scribes baited the newest Oiler to say something colourful and give them the quote they had all trudged down in the snow to get.

IS THIS HOW IT IS GOING TO GO?

We have spent a good amount of time watching Bryz interviews since the Oilers announced that they were bringing him in on a one year deal. The guy is clearly a different breed and his interviews on HBO's 24/7 are the stuff of legend. And it is embarassing to watch the reporters in this scrum try and pry out quotes of a similar ilk.

Bryz seems genuinely happy to be in Edmonton and grateful for a chance to be back in the NHL. Is Edmonton is first choice? No. But is he sounding like someone trying to make the best of things? Yes. He pumped the Oilers "great heritage" wisely lumping in Lowe and MacT in with Gretzky and Messier and seems be a happy go lucky fellow fighting through English as a second language to make himself understood.

But this wasn't a Dany Heatley type attitude - the guy doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body. This didn't seem to make any sort of the impressions on the hostile crowd of mics who wanted him to diss the city, the fans or anything really and asked only questions of the sort.

It's clear everyone covering the team is looking for him to say something crazy asap. "Do you think you suck?" "Don't you hate Philly?" "Isn't Edmonton crappy?" "Are you mad you were bought out?" The awkward questions just came at the poor guy rapid fire. We can't think of any other Oiler being raked over the coals in such a fashion - much less in his first day on the job.

You can hear Ryan Rishaug trying to be a tough guy asking the hard questions of the newest Oiler throughout the clip. It would be grand if he would take a similar approach with MacT, Eakins or Lowe who actually have had an impact in the product on the ice not a guy who hasn't even suited up in a single game but there you go. 

Bryz wasn't having it. He stayed positive, stayed classy and made it through the gauntlet unscathed.

FOR THE RECORD

We saw a panel over the weekend on one of the networks suggest that Bryz was being brought in as a designated dressing room distraction designed to take the heat off the underperforming mega studs. If the Oilers are going to get things righted again reclamation projects are going to be a key part of the re-re-rebuild. The Oilers need to be a place where players can come to turn things around in a positive place - not in some hostile environment like what we see in the scrum above. Hopefully Bryz's new team mates are a bit more welcoming.

Not everyone in Edmonton wants you to fail. In fact some of us want to see you dominate. I'll say it again: Не каждый в Эдмонтонских желаниях Вы, чтобы терпеть неудачу. Фактически некоторые из нас хотят видеть, что Вы возглавляете.

Good luck to you Bryz.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Email me at wanyegretz@gmail.com or tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes.
Avatar
#51 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Great Article Wanye.

I don't get it frankly. He's barely interesting by regular human standards. The fact that most sports personalities have to be as bland as rice cakes shouldn't be held against him.

Avatar
#52 Racki
November 18 2013, 04:13PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
PaperDesigner wrote:

...I can't tell if that's a criticism of the Edmonton media, a joke about Majeau's hair, or both...

Lol! Well played.

Ad far as the bad media types... Ryan Rishaug has always been a fave, but man, please don't get Ilya pissed off at this city in week one... Yeesh. Lay off the Inquisition.

let Ilya be who he wants to be without badgering it out of him. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

Avatar
#53 Racki
November 18 2013, 06:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
DSF wrote:

I'm not sure this blog represent the general public very well at all.

There are some concerns about Bryzgalov's past behaviour outlined quite well by Spector here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bryzgalov-officially-brings-his-act-to-oilers/

Make note of Ryan Smyth's comments.

Well then, thank god the media is here to correct his behavioral problems.

And I'm not sure how Rayn Smyth's recommendation to Bryzgalov (which I think really could be given to any goalie) is more representative of the general public than people here. I don't see it as anything damning either. Seems like a pretty reasonable comment. Do you think the media was doing us all a solid by making sure Bryzgalov was going to follow Smytty's grand advice?

Avatar
#54 nrXic
November 18 2013, 06:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

We can all debate what is a fair question and what isn't. I see merit in both arguments, so I'll stay away from that and stick to something that maybe we can all agree on:

We are seeing many hard (but perhaps fair) questions about what is occurring OFF THE ICE...

...and not a lot of hard questions about stuff we're seeing ON THE ICE.

If anything, this disparity troubles me the most.

The Oilers PP is noticeably worse than last year. We could have won or tied a few games if we converted on the chances we had in the first 3 weeks.

I've watched every post-game interview with Eakins and I never heard once any question resembling, "Why not stick with the PP system that had moderate success last year?" or "Yakupov led the team in PP goals last year, why isn't he on the 1st unit?"

Are those questions a little too "tough"? Is that why the media is holding back on asking them?

This disparity in focusing on stuff that happens away from the rink, rather than what happens on it, is my biggest problem.

Avatar
#55 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 18 2013, 07:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Hits from the BoNg wrote:

Ryan Rishaug is a Gossip Girl. His tactics are more TMZ than TSN. Congrats Rishaug, you giant douche bag, media card revoked...Papparazzi card issued !

Those were definitely the actions of a guy who needed a hug. Ilya should've taken that opportunity to reach out to him in his time of need.

Avatar
#56 Why me?
November 18 2013, 08:13PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Rishaug should just stick to what is written on his prompter. Be the "pretty boy" he's paid to be. Of course his buddy Jason Negative will defend him. If not, mother corp would spank him. Et Tu Robin? You were better. Ryan's questions and his out of control ranting on Yakupov makes me question his "hatred"??? Of Russians.

Avatar
#57 PandaBearJelly
November 18 2013, 10:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

@DSF

Dear lord this is the most ridiculous argument I have seen in a while. Do you two even know what you are fighting about anymore? seriously... Argument for the sake of argument.

In the end you are both saying the same thing. In the here and now, the Oil are a very poor team. You can look at the advanced stats or the simple narrative and you find yourself with the same story.

Avatar
#58 geoilersgist
November 18 2013, 03:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

Добро пожаловать в Ойлерз Бриз Я надеюсь, что вы SIUTBSOHC

Avatar
#59 Retsinnab5
November 18 2013, 05:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
-30- wrote:

Rishaug. And they say it's the fans that drive players out of Edmonton.

Totally classless questions from "shauger". LOL

All of these dumbass mainstream media types try lead the interviewee with loaded questions.

Rishaug, with this and the rant about Yak I have totally lost any kind of respect or interest in what you have to say.

-30-

Y U HEFF TO BE MAD?

Avatar
#60 Robin Brownlee
November 18 2013, 05:48PM
Trash it!
48
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
He Who Knows wrote:

Ryan Rishaug is where he is because he sold out a long time ago. Mainstream media is a propaganda machine.

Rishaug sold out? How? Comments like that just drip with envy.

MSM is a propaganda machine? Do tell. What, was Rishaug asking Bryzgalov tough questions because he thinks that will garner him favour with EDM management, which obviously thinks bringing Bryz in is worthwhile?

Explain to me, if Rishaug "sold out," how asking the questions he did today makes him part of a propaganda machine. Let's hear it.

Avatar
#61 DrunkGuyTy
November 18 2013, 06:49PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

It drives me nuts when media, fans etc. feel they are 'owed' answers or explanations from athletes. Unless you are paying the guy directly, related to him or screwing him, he doesn't owe you sh!t. I hope we are a better team with Bryz going forward.

Avatar
#62 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 18 2013, 06:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

The media as well as the fans are guilty of expecting too much. Entitlement knows no boundaries it seems.

Hope Bryz lets his play do the talking. Everyone loves the SUITBSOHC type.

Nobody knows what to expect. Love to see him come in and lay a .940 on this currently toxic hockey market.

My heart says GO OILERS, but my mind looks at the blueliners in front of him and hopes for the best. Best of luck Ilya Bryzgalov.

Avatar
#63 merlen
November 18 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
DSF wrote:

Which reporters then?

Name them or you're tarring all of them with the same brush.

And here's something for you...

What are 5 questions you would have asked Bryzgalov that would have elicited any meaningful answers?

Go.

1. What do you expect your role to be coming in at this stage? 2. How much have you been on the ice since your last full game? 3. Have you been training regularly through the fall? 4. Was there any talks with other organizations before the oilers? 5. Have you watched any oiler games since signing with the team?

When you're doing your next interview, you can use them, I really would like to know the answers. I know, there will be no youtube answers, but hey, you can hold your head up high, knowing you asked hockey questions...

Avatar
#64 merlen
November 18 2013, 04:35PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

Did you expect anything less from Ryan Rishaug? He has the same disease as Daryl Katz, the " I'm in love with the boys on the bus syndrome". Ha Ha Ha!!!

Avatar
#65 VK63
November 18 2013, 10:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

I actually used to enjoy Shaugger, when he was upbeat and comical but this wallowing in negativity thing is quite tedious.

He's on a bit of a roll. I thought his coverage of the Yak thing was tainted with over the top personal indignation that turned sour. I didn't think it warranted the venom but it seemed the flavour of the week for the lemmings and he made a large effort to lead the charge. ~(yay!)~ The organizations hands off handling of the entire affair was rather odd as well but reconciling odd and this organization is not an exercise I am willing to invest much time into.

This Bryz presser is both hilarious and as wanye points out ...disturbing. What seems evident from the clip is that A) Bryz was predictably ready for the junk questions B) Bryz is not as dumb as those who would try and bait him C) Bryz enjoys the sparring

I too am quite fond of him already.

Solid piece again Wanye!!

Avatar
#66 Rama Lama
November 18 2013, 05:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I can just see the headlines after his first decisive win, " Taking care of Bryzness", .........just like the song suggests.

Avatar
#67 DSF
November 18 2013, 05:55PM
Trash it!
43
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I didn't hear even one inappropriate question.

Rishaug, or no other member of the Edmonton media are responsible for Bryzgalov's "reputation" and asking him direct questions about his experience in Philly or his reputation as a space cadet are hardly out of line.

On the other side of the coin, I thought Bryz handled himself very well and, when not comfortable answering a probing question, as is his right, he deflected them very well.

Avatar
#68 DSF
November 18 2013, 05:57PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Rama Lama wrote:

I can just see the headlines after his first decisive win, " Taking care of Bryzness", .........just like the song suggests.

Oh lord...Gene doesn't need any prompting 😀

Avatar
#69 Racki
November 18 2013, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
DSF wrote:

If there were no questions about Bryzgalov's bona fides as a team mate, I'm pretty certain Spector wouldn't have asked the question and, even if he did, Smyth would likely have not stressed the "team first" aspect in his answer.

You are jumping to the conclusion, likely based on your personal bias, that the media was "badgering" Bryzgalov.

I certainly didn't hear that.

It seems like you're using distraction techniques to drive away from the media questions that people had concerns over. You're talking about a completely different instance now.

So what exactly does asking questions like "how did it make you feel that your team paid you money to not play with them?" and "did it make you angry?" relate to Ryan Smyth's opinion of Bryzgalov as a teammate?

Also, how is the media going to fish out whether Bryzgalov is a good teammate by interviewing him? Oh wait.. that's not their job.. their job is just to get under his skin, right?

Avatar
#70 Admiralmark
November 18 2013, 04:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Agreed the media was gloating him. One of my favorite quotes from him was when he was talking to the Philly media and he turned the questions to the media.. He said something to the effect. What have you done that's actually good for the city? What do you do except point your finger and criticize what other people do? It was a glimpse of how he felt about what the media does. His questioning and interview today did nothing to change his mind I can guarantee that.

Avatar
#71 A-Mc
November 18 2013, 04:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Wasnt a huge fan of how they kept attacking him w/ silly questions, either.

=/

hopefully it was a 1 off thing and going forward, it will be all smiles and respect.

There is a long shot here that Bryz could actually become a valuable contributor to this team. By the end of the season if he's somehow stolen the #1 spot from Duby via superior play, i want his good experiences with the team and the media to persuade him to stay, over the -32C winter trying to chase him away.

Basically: it goes both ways. Don't burn bridges! Edmonton isn't exactly in a position of power here.. we need people to want to play here, because until we start winning cups, there isn't much to entice people to sign here.

Avatar
#72 Jason Gregor
November 18 2013, 05:36PM
Trash it!
51
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

I didn't have a major issue with the questions. The ones you thought were tough, were about what happened in Philly.

Bryz was bought out for a reason. I think he has to answer for his past for one day. Now it turns to him playing.

I liked his responses. He stood his ground, answered them and said judge him for what he does here. I respect that.

If he plays well, people will notice and talk about it. He was paid $23 million to leave a team, so I don't think it was unfair to ask him he feels like he has something to prove.

Avatar
#73 Racki
November 18 2013, 07:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

@DSF

Who said I have a hate on for the media? I don't even consider Rishaug an "evil amorphous blob". It seems now that you're creating something out of nothing to support your usual weak argument. If you look back, you'll see that I said I like Ryan Rishaug (one of my favorite reporters, actually)... I just took issue with the couple of questions he asked.

I used the term "Media" for brevity here.. I could have been more specific, naming names and naming specific questions (which I already did), but that would make every reply I make quite verbose.

Anyways, I'm going to follow Mark Twain's sage advice here before you pull me even further under with your nonsensical argument for the sake of argument.

Avatar
#74 merlen
November 18 2013, 04:28PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

The more interviews I watch of Ilya Bryzgalov, the more I like this guy. I don't care if he can stop the puck or not, as long as they let him talk. All I want, is to be entertained by these guys, one way or another...Go Bryzzzzzzz!!!

Avatar
#76 Harvey X.
November 18 2013, 08:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

It's a little disturbing how some people in the media try to create controversy before the guy even has his bags unpacked! He handled himself amazingly well under that kind of scrutiny.......give the guy a break and welcome him to town. He may have done said or done some things in the past that he now regrets but he's obviously looking forward and not back! Welcome to town Bryz!!!

Avatar
#77 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 06:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

I'm not sure this blog represent the general public very well at all.

There are some concerns about Bryzgalov's past behaviour outlined quite well by Spector here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bryzgalov-officially-brings-his-act-to-oilers/

Make note of Ryan Smyth's comments.

Ok.

After bad reports from inside the Flyers room, it will be more important what his teammates here think. Eakins has mined all of his sources and claims he was told that Bryzgalov will be a fine teammate. I heard different, and asked veteran Ryan Smyth what Bryzgalov’s priorities should be upon joining his latest team here in Edmonton. “Put the team before yourself,” he says. “And, absolutely, stop the puck. But first and foremost, be a team-first guy.”

Not really sure what I'm supposed to make note of here. Stop pucks and play for the team!

Not exactly an incisive look into the soul and character of Bryz and his reception by the team.

I'm not entirely sure a computer couldn't have generated this quote.

Avatar
#78 Racki
November 18 2013, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

The media as well as the fans are guilty of expecting too much. Entitlement knows no boundaries it seems.

Hope Bryz lets his play do the talking. Everyone loves the SUITBSOHC type.

Nobody knows what to expect. Love to see him come in and lay a .940 on this currently toxic hockey market.

My heart says GO OILERS, but my mind looks at the blueliners in front of him and hopes for the best. Best of luck Ilya Bryzgalov.

Yah that pretty much sums it up. They could have Jesus in net this year, and he wouldn't be able to save enough.

Avatar
#79 PutzStew
November 18 2013, 07:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Not sure how much success Lowe/the Oilers would have punting anyone under that TSN umbrella to the curb. Them being joined at the hip with the league and all.

Agreed as to your point though. Someone needs to step outside their comfort zone to challenge them. If it's a group (TSN or CBC or SN) there may not be the bloodbath of a solo effort. We've seen a number of players throw themselves on grenades the last few yrs (Gags/Beauchemin, Gazdic/McGratton) Maybe Robin Brownlee as well, isn't afraid of a little blood. Not sure Dave would give him the time needed off.

There are how many other guys that would be happy to stepping to Ryan's shoes. Oilers could get the change made very easily if they wished it to happen.

Yes TSN is the Leader but if Oilers quit given exclusives, TSN would make the move. It's all about the Benjamin's and exclusives mean more money.

Personally I think most of Edmonton's Media that is too scared to say anything bad about the powers to be and I question the control the Oilers team have on the Media. I live in Sylvan and listen to the Fan 960. Calgary media will rip the management when when every the need be. It's quite refreshing. I don't listen to Edmonton media anymore because the come off as such sell outs.

It's really to bad because in the situation Edmonton is in it should be the media keeping the Team Honest and I have seen nothing of that. J

Avatar
#80 merlen
November 18 2013, 08:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Likely answers:

1) I play goal and stop pucks (duh)

2) I play in Las Vegas for a while and then I've been skating (duh)

3) Yes.

4) That was asked, He refused to answer.

5) That was asked. He said he watches all NHL.

So, we've learned absolutely nothing we didn't already know.

Pablum.

I don't want to know your answers?.. Duh So, what did you learn from the stupid questions? Just that Bryz is smarter than the room full of so called reporters. Duh.

Oh we'll I'm sure they will keep trying, they prove time and again that they're just as much of the problem as the management is...Duh!!!

Go Oilers! And Go Bryz!!!

Later,

Avatar
#81 Naky
November 18 2013, 04:18PM
Trash it!
64
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Sorry Wanye, gotta disagree with you on the media being hard on him and trying to make him slip up being a bad thing. He stood in front of a camera just a few years ago and crapped all over this city and its fanbase all the while laughing about it and talking down to the reporters. He had no problem speaking his mind then.

It's about karma. It always comes back to bite you in the ass. Right now, it's biting him in the ass. Hard. He never thought he'd ever be in this position, forced to sign with the one city he publicly trashed because nobody else would give him the time of day. He's eating humble pie and should swallow every little crumb of it.

So no. I welcome his discomfort. I want him under fire and mad. I want him itching to prove everyone wrong all the time because that means he's going to play harder - and perhaps more importantly, become a better person for it in the end.

He's learning a hard lesson. Let's find out if it sticks or if it's just lip service in the end.

Avatar
#82 kale
November 18 2013, 06:32PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

@Racki

I agree totally...Bryzgalov does not have to answer for his past, thats the media thinking they have a right to know. The only thing relevant about the past is his on ice record, the rest is just media jockeying for the scoop. Would be nice to have seen a classier reception for Bryz. Welcome Bryz, hope you have a great experience here. Finally that propaganda comment, I dont see how it wreaks of envy, no offence but such a commentt sounds arrogant to me and assumes everyone wants to work for the media-thats wrong

Avatar
#83 Neal
November 18 2013, 07:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

It shouldn't be too hard to realize that "Bryze's" main purpose in being here is to light a fire under Duby's ass. From the looks of it, it's worked spectacularly well so far.

In unrelated news, nobody has questioned the PP or why we can't cycle today...

Avatar
#84 DSF
November 18 2013, 07:54PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Stauffer has definitely lost a step in terms of massaging the realities.

But he's more than made up for it by having a much more complex understanding of the game that he's developed over the years.

Spector is a poor man's Skip Bayless. He relies entirely on simple narratives of what leads to success/failure.

You're just giving Stauffer credit because he's parroting "advanced" stats which of course reaffirms your view (however flawed) of the world.

Simple narratives are often overlooked in the way that common sense is.

You were one of the many Statzis who were convinced the Oilers were making significant profess this season based on their "advanced" stats when pretty such any old fool could have told you (and did) that the Oilers early season Corsi/Fenwick/Close/Far/Even/ was based on the quality of their opponents and, as soon as they began to play better teams, they would go in the tank.

They did and they did.

That's a "simple narrative" that just happens to be accurate as so many of them are.

Avatar
#85 Pouzar99
November 18 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Yes, I mostly agree with what DSF says about the Bryz interview, but once you have asked it a few times and the player has gone as far as he is going to go, you have to let go unless you have a very different angle. You can hardly compare the Bryz situation with grilling a politician about a scandal.

While I do not wholly disagree with your comment about sports reporters, I think you underestimate just how tough their job is. It is a great deal easier to ask a politician a tough question than a football player or hockey player, who is accustomed to settling disagreements violently. I have total admiration for the courage of Cam Cole, Robin and many others who write critical things about these people and then show up in the locker room the next day and face them. I suspect I would be sweating like a pig. Give them credit. I have been face-to-face with unhappy cops but nothing quite compares to the confrontations I experienced in the one major sports story I did.

All beat reporters face the same worry; being cut out of the loop and getting beaten to stories by their less challenging rivals.

Avatar
#86 The Hall Way
November 18 2013, 04:20PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Did he say, he skated one week in Glaucoma???!!

Avatar
#88 merlen
November 18 2013, 07:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@DSF

If you re-read my comment, you'll notice I didn't say "all" reporters. I said "most". Meaning the ones asking the stupid questions, trying to get a reaction out of Bryz, so they can have a headline tomorrow.

I'd assume those reporters are educated, but yet, no educated questions...

Avatar
#89 Hoozonphirst
November 19 2013, 01:59AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Edited by Wanye

Avatar
#90 oilbaron
November 18 2013, 06:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

yo rishaug, mellow out there buddy. taking this 'reporter' thing a little too seriously

Avatar
#91 DSF
November 18 2013, 07:39PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Isn't that kind of telling though?

The guy paid to play cheerleader is a better analyst of this sh!tty team than the freewheeler?

Not good for Spector.

I don't hear enough of either one of them to make a judgement to be honest.

But based on comments here and elsewhere, Staufer has lost his critical eye now that he's on the team payroll.

No surprise there.

Avatar
#92 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 10:45PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
DSF wrote:

Habs: -1.1 SH/G

Devils: +0.9 SH/G

Those are not very good shot differentials...they stink.

The Penguins, as I noted earlier, are a very good team and their record shows it.

Might want to take a look at the shot differentials against the good teams I mentioned earlier.

It ain't pretty.

Here I'll get you started.

Game 1 - Winnipeg Jets 38F 28A (still managed to lose the game)

Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks 23F 44A (oops...good team)

Game 3 - New Jersey Devils 27F 25A (crappy EC team)

Game 4 - Montreal Canadiens 28F 27A (mediocre EC team)

Game 5 - Toronto Maple Leafs 31F 26A (everyone outshoots the Leafs)

Game 6 - Washington Capitals 20F 20A (mediocre EC team)

Game 7 - Pittsburgh Penguins 22F 28A (oops another good team)

Game 8 - New York Islanders 29F 40A (shameful)

Game 9 - Ottawa Senators 21F 36 A (shameful)

Game 10 - Montreal Canadiens 32F 32A (against a weak EC team)

Game 11 - Washington 31F 26A (another weak EC team)

Game 12 - Phoenix Coyotes 30F 28A (good job!)

Game 13 - Los Angles Kings 18F 40A (oh the humanity)

Game 14 - Toronto Maple Leafs 43F 26A (and they lost 4-0)

Game 15 - Florida Panthers 27F 23A (Florida.)

Now, take a close look at the shot differential against WC teams who are currently in the playoffs. (-41)

It gets worse from here.

The Devils at 11th in the league in shots % are "crappy"?

Cool!

The Habs at 16th in the league, however, are "mediocre"?

interesting.

I'm not convinced those words mean what you think they mean.

At any rate, all these numbers do it restate what everyone but yourself acknowledges: They were playing better and then worse.

This marvel of information, of course, escapes you!

But, how can someone who can't sort out "mediocre" from "crappy" adequately be expected to do any better?

Avatar
#93 Cynic
November 18 2013, 11:03PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Did anyone at the media scrum ask about Bryzgalov's Corgis? Because if this site has taught me anything, it's that Corgis are a big deal.

Avatar
#94 Bryzarro World
November 18 2013, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Wanye wrote:

Well Brownlee *was* being nice. I will send your widow a nice flower arrangement when he reads this Sir/Madam/Robot

LoL. I want to know what people mean when they toss that label on someone. I think the guy is hilarious.

Maybe he likes living on the edge like Kramer. What a rush it could be, not knowing when E is coming...

Avatar
#95 PutzStew
November 18 2013, 07:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

"...You can hear Ryan Rishaug trying to be a tough guy asking the hard questions of the newest Oiler throughout the clip. It would be grand if he would take a similar approach with MacT, Eakins or Lowe who actually have had an impact in the product on the ice not a guy who hasn't even suited up in a single game but there you go."

This ALL DAY LONG.

How about robin? How about going after MacT in the next presser, relentlessly, point by point?

Ryan can't do it to Lowe and MacT because they'll send him gallows if he does. Robin on the other hand…Not on the Oilers Pay Role….GO GET EM CHAMP.

Avatar
#96 DSF
November 18 2013, 07:31PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Rod from Viking wrote:

Spector has become very anti-Oiler and pro Canucks over the last couple of years, remind you of someone?

He has a unique perspective to view the performance of a very well run organization vs. a very dysfunctional one.

No surprise you might see it that way.

His job is NOT to be a cheerleader.

Staufer already got that job.

Avatar
#97 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 07:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

He has a unique perspective to view the performance of a very well run organization vs. a very dysfunctional one.

No surprise you might see it that way.

His job is NOT to be a cheerleader.

Staufer already got that job.

Isn't that kind of telling though?

The guy paid to play cheerleader is a better analyst of this sh!tty team than the freewheeler?

Not good for Spector.

Avatar
#98 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 07:59PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

You're just giving Stauffer credit because he's parroting "advanced" stats which of course reaffirms your view (however flawed) of the world.

Simple narratives are often overlooked in the way that common sense is.

You were one of the many Statzis who were convinced the Oilers were making significant profess this season based on their "advanced" stats when pretty such any old fool could have told you (and did) that the Oilers early season Corsi/Fenwick/Close/Far/Even/ was based on the quality of their opponents and, as soon as they began to play better teams, they would go in the tank.

They did and they did.

That's a "simple narrative" that just happens to be accurate as so many of them are.

I didn't mention adv. stats. at all.

Stauffer is much more than that. Not having listened to him, I can see you must be an expert on his conversations and reflections on hockey.

I wasn't "convinced" of anything. I encourage you to find evidence of this claim.

They were playing better (and it was reflected in the stats., adv. and otherwise) and then they were playing much, much worse, (which… go figure, was also reflected in the stats).

Since when is discussing reality a strange thing to do.

Avatar
#99 Reagan
November 18 2013, 08:00PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Ryan Richard's questions were annoying. Trying to get to the root of nothing. Reminds me of a few years ago, Mac T days is that a mandate of yours... "he has to stop asking the stupid questions...

Avatar
#100 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 08:23PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

I have listened to him from time to time...nothing earth shattering or even very interesting.

And, no you didn't mention advanced stats...I did.

And they weren't playing better...they were playing crappy opponents.

Take a look at their record against playoff teams and WC teams.

It's been crappy from day one.

Of course, that's a simple narrative that is backed up by the "advanced" stats, the real stats and their record.

If the teams they were playing well against early in the season (Devils, Habs, Leafs, Caps, Pens) were all unflinchingly brutal possession teams (applies to us, Leafs, Caps), you'd have a point!

Besides, quality of competition, road games, etc. were all acknowledged at the time.

It is a very simple truth. They were playing better. Then they were playing much much worse.

This isn't some incomprehensible logic at work here. No one is proclaiming some truth that is hard to swallow.

you are merely arguing to be disagreeable.

Comments are closed for this article.