GDB 15.0: RED WINGS

Wanye
November 02 2013 01:09PM

 

Jason Gregor texted me to say "I have baby business to attend to on Saturday. Gregor 2,0 is only weeks away. I will need you to write the GDB for the Red Wings game." "Me?" we replied "last time I wrote a GDB people said it was silly and cried for you to write every one until 2099."

Well one doesn't argue with Jason Gregor if one hopes to be alive for the next Oilers win. So here goes nothing.

AND SO IT CONTINUES

How many ways are there to say that the Oilers rebuild is taking longer than it took to rebuild Europe after WWII?  At some point we start to scramble for new acronyms making a chase for last place an exciting proposition.

After the pantsing the Leafs gave the Oil on Tuesday - in front of LeafsNation Steve Dangle who had flown in for the match no less - it is hard to make bold predictions of Oilers wins. We sat there at Rexall Place, next to the King of all Maple Leafs fans watching them cheer and smile and raise their fists in triumph. We want that so badly for all our fellow Oilers fans it hurts.

Yes, if you told us "Wanye, all you have to do is get hit by a car and the Oil will turn around quick as a flash" we would run screaming from Wanye Manor and get hit square by the first motorcar we happened to see. Sadly it ain't that easy. But there are still things we can do as Oilers fans to try and turn the ship around.

In fact we have an idea.

AN IDEA

We hockey fans are a superstitious lot. Lucky underwear, lucky beer brand, lucky type of fur coat deodorizer. Cheering from the same seat on the couch. We all have some little foible we cling to in the hopes it makes our beloved Oilers win. Well Nation whatever we are doing is wrong.

We need to collectively reboot our lucky charms and send a wave of new karma out into the universe. Rather than focusing on what we don't want - more losses, more injuries, more Grebeshkovs in the lineup - we need to take new actions focused on what we want.

Wins.

Pictured at the top of the article is our most prized possession - our Eberle jersey purchased minutes after 14 scored his mind shattering first goal in the NHL. Thinking it was lucky we haven't so much as cleaned it once in the 4 years since. At the quarter pole of his 5th season it is clear the luck ain't working.

So we took the jersey to the cleaners on Thursday and got it back clean as clean can be. This was our major good luck charm these past 4 years and we wouldn't dream of doing this normally. But drastic times call for drastic measures. We invite you to reconsider whatever lucky charms you have and bring new ones out. The team needs it Nation. It's the only thing left we can think of doing.

Let us know if you think of anything you can do to reboot the franchise's luck. Burn your lucky drawers. Switch brands of game day beer. Remarry a new luckier wife if you think it will help. Just do something positive that is a break with the past.

We beg you.

LINEUP - GOOD

 

According to DailyFaceOff.com the Oilers are icing the forward corps above and the defensive pairings below. And according to the very same site Bachman will get the start in between the pipes tonight.

LINEUP - BAD

 

Forwards up, defense below and something called a Petr Mrazek will be tending for the Wings tonight. Poor bugger won't even have a chance. 

 

PREDICTIONS R US

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Oilers win 4-2 shocking many including the Oilers themselves.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: During the second intermission Coack Babcock screams at Mrazek to step his game up to which the goalie tearfully replies "I don't even know who I am. WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH DID YOU START ME IN AN NHL GAME?"

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Hearing about the jersey cleaning Jordan Eberle pots a pair of goals. In the post game scrum he comments "I knew something was holding me back this year. Here all this time it was a ratty jersey covered in shots of Jack Daniels from the Pint. I wish Wanye had gotten his hygenic act together years ago."

Hearing my name mentioned by King Jordan I immediately transcend into a beam of pure joy and shoot into space.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Email me at wanyegretz@gmail.com or tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes.
Avatar
#301 Devolution
November 03 2013, 06:38AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers

To paraphrase Andrew Ference in his 'After Hours' interview, Eakins is a good coach with a good plan. The problem is that not everyone is buying into the plan.

I think it is time to start sitting some of the worst offenders, and only Eakins really knows who they are. This season is a write-off anyway, might as well learn something from it.

Wow, season written off on November 2nd, a new record I think.

Avatar
#302 spliff
November 03 2013, 06:43AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
Saskguy wrote:

I didn't agree with the last 2 coach firings, but I gotta say, I think he should have came in as Ralphs assistant. I just hope this dressing room Isn't beyond repair. If it helps make a trade send Yak and who ever has the poorest attitude amongst Ebs, Nuge and Hall. They really miss Perron when he's not in the line up... GRIT

Which team will want Ebs, Nuge or Hall? All making 6 bills a year, and not showing they are worth that kind of coin.

The Oil have really painted themselves into a corner. I wonder how many interviews MacT had with Eakins before the was hired? Getting the right coach crucial, but from what I understand Eakins was hired after one interview. If that is the case, this is complete negligence by MacT. You'd think MacT would check out Eakins systems proposal and do a pros and cons analysis. It all smells like amateurville to me, but then why am I surprised. The management of this team has been amateurish for 20 years know.

Like many poster here, I am a lifelong diehard fan, and I keep hanging in there, checking the scores and trying to be hopeful, but last night's game was a real turn-off. I am getting closer and closer to apathy. The goal for an NHL team is to win the Cup, and Step One is making the playoffs. We are so far away from Step One, and have been for too long that whats the point in cheering for this team. What is the f*cking point in cheering for a team, whose management is so mediocre, that they can't get their team even close to the playoffs, in a league where 16/30 teams make the playoffs?

Avatar
#303 Reagan
November 03 2013, 06:52AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

My season tickets were already dropped in 2008, after Mac T was let go and the carousel of coaches started. I knew back then it would get ugly, but didn't see this coming. Stopped buying seats to any single game as well. I sat in on a focus group for previous season ticket holders, to convince us to come back, recieved a 75 dollar gift voucher to the Oilers store. Bought a Oilers hoodie at the Kingsway location. Also that was the last purchase I made with this organization. That was done five years ago, and four coaching changes and dozens of players have now changed, but little change up top. For those last five years I went from watching 82 games to watching 60 or less. The Oil drop is slowly fading and I am losing interest. I read these comments here everyday and don't reply half of the time because my passion is gone. Something needs to change and holding on to all of the kids isn't the answer. They need men not boys to play this game, otherwise they stay the whipping boys of the NHL.

Avatar
#304 hemi
November 03 2013, 07:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

With the amount of traffic noted by the infrequent posters but many readers of ON, it is very clear that fans have become at the very least, "tired" of the promises supplied to the supporters of the Mighty Oil for the last 8 years. (For some of us, the promise has gone on longer than the often re-labeled "Rebuild".

I fully understand and have experienced it myself in my own job, that management does in fact walk around with a huge target on their backs. I suspect most folks get the drift that Management cannot please everyone all of the time. However, I have worked with others in my worklife whom where head and shoulders better than me and there were some whom I could only ask, " how in the hell did you get hired and why are you still here"?

I find myself asking why the Oil's Management are still around. When do you call a SPADE a SPADE? Perhaps now is that time.

Avatar
#305 Jordan1126
November 03 2013, 07:28AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

geez, this was horrible...at least it wasn't on national tv or anything :P .... honestly though can someone please tell me what kind of system the oilers are playing??? I brought my wife to this game..the first game she has been to in 5 years...Not being much of a hockey fan her only words were "they play like they dont care".....I thought we were promised fitness and compete this year by eakins...so far all I have seen are injuries and excuses....

I wish the Oilers would put in half the effort on the ice as I see them do on the oilers facebook page regarding their effort to dress up for halloween and party...

If I was on this team right now the only thing that would be on my mind is how to win, and how to get the team to win....not how good i would look as a hot dog for halloween (j schultz)....perhaps the team can wear the hot dogs on the ice next game, it would at least match their play as it looks like a bunch of weiners running around with no clue of what to do.

Avatar
#306 Cameron
November 03 2013, 07:31AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

"Lucy, you got some splainin to do"

Avatar
#307 boxman
November 03 2013, 07:42AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

Something died inside of me tonight. I was at the game and left after the second period. The worst Oiler performance I've ever seen, and seen a lot over the past 35 years. Walking back through the blizzard, I really felt I can't do it anymore. I'm tired of caring more than the team does. I'm feeling more sad than angry, though. I think maybe it's just time to move on.

I joined the tier one fans at Rexall last night and I felt sad for all the season ticket holders. Never mind that the team itself was whipped and lifeless as the fans seemed even more beaten and bruised. Most fans were way more despondent than angry. Between periods fans were not talking about what needs to be done but rather avoiding the subject of hockey altogether. The lad who took me to the game had four tickets 7 rows up near Detroits' bench and he couldn't give away the tickets. For gords sake Detroit was playing and no one would take the free tickets. I know Edmonton fans have been loyal to a fault but I sense a change. Apathy is replacing anger and I wish I still cared enough to yell at Lowe. I don't. The Oilers are taking their soul sucking act on the road now but really....... who cares.

Avatar
#308 boxman
November 03 2013, 07:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

Something died inside of me tonight. I was at the game and left after the second period. The worst Oiler performance I've ever seen, and seen a lot over the past 35 years. Walking back through the blizzard, I really felt I can't do it anymore. I'm tired of caring more than the team does. I'm feeling more sad than angry, though. I think maybe it's just time to move on.

I joined the tier one fans at Rexall last night and I felt sad for all the season ticket holders. Never mind that the team itself was whipped and lifeless as the fans seemed even more beaten and bruised. Most fans were way more despondent than angry. Between periods fans were not talking about what needs to be done but rather avoiding the subject of hockey altogether. The lad who took me to the game had four tickets 7 rows up near Detroits' bench and he couldn't give away the tickets. For gords sake Detroit was playing and no one would take the free tickets. I know Edmonton fans have been loyal to a fault but I sense a change. Apathy is replacing anger and I wish I still cared enough to yell at Lowe. I don't. The Oilers are taking their soul sucking act on the road now but really....... who cares.

Avatar
#309 Serious Gord
November 03 2013, 07:44AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

As bad as the oil are - and they are bad - I took a look at the records for the bottom dwellers in the east...

So much for parity - there is the whole spectrum in this league, with the sole thing lacking being a dynasty-type winning team.

There is however a dynasty losing team - and that is none other than the oil. Unquestionably the worst team of the cap era.

Avatar
#310 Tier2
November 03 2013, 07:44AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

Thank God I'm a second tier fan (I.e. Not good enough for KLowe to waste time with ). This rebuild had been botched from day one.

1. Get a goalie...draft , trade , free agent; whatever if takes . 2. Get DMen ... Ryan Murray? Develop Schultz in thd minors until he can play NHL minutes. Take notes from Detroit . We have a slew of DMen who can't play. 3. Centers.... Can't have enough . RNH will be ok. Should have taken galchenyuk, not another winger.

Turning over coaches has told the players that there crap don't stink . They are now totally unaccountable and that can't be fixed until they are broken up . Pick one or two and make a bold move. Might get less skill back but more compete to offset the skill.

It ain't Eakins. He had a stellar rep throughout the league prior to being hired here. He needs time to implement his direction but needs two thing : 1. Players who want and can learn and listen. Find out who the main culprits are and get their asses out of here. 2. Competent assistants who can help teach and coach. I'm betting Eakins ' ambition to be a head coach overrode his better judgement about hiring his own assistants; guys he knows can coach and guys he trusts. Nobody tell me he had a choice about KB and SS. That directive cams from Lowe and MacT.

And if Messier is in fact brought in in some capacity, then it will definitely prove that Katz is just a jock sniffer with no real interest in winning. And why would he ? Building is full of first tier fans buying stuff.

Avatar
#311 Newj
November 03 2013, 07:46AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
spliff wrote:

Which team will want Ebs, Nuge or Hall? All making 6 bills a year, and not showing they are worth that kind of coin.

The Oil have really painted themselves into a corner. I wonder how many interviews MacT had with Eakins before the was hired? Getting the right coach crucial, but from what I understand Eakins was hired after one interview. If that is the case, this is complete negligence by MacT. You'd think MacT would check out Eakins systems proposal and do a pros and cons analysis. It all smells like amateurville to me, but then why am I surprised. The management of this team has been amateurish for 20 years know.

Like many poster here, I am a lifelong diehard fan, and I keep hanging in there, checking the scores and trying to be hopeful, but last night's game was a real turn-off. I am getting closer and closer to apathy. The goal for an NHL team is to win the Cup, and Step One is making the playoffs. We are so far away from Step One, and have been for too long that whats the point in cheering for this team. What is the f*cking point in cheering for a team, whose management is so mediocre, that they can't get their team even close to the playoffs, in a league where 16/30 teams make the playoffs?

You could be right about that-6M/season may be difficult to offload.

There may be others, but after enduring decades of futility, I began to once again follow my childhood team (Oilers) after they acquired Ebs, Hall & RNH. I wanted to see those kids excel alongside the Oilers to becoming a proud franchise again.

Lately I have been thinking if they trade one of those 3...I'll probably go back into hiding once again.

I think either of those 3 are worth their contract, however, on this team they for whatever reason are currently not meeting expectations.

One of the 3 may go sooner than expected. For me that will be a big disappointment. I will become a Tier 3 fan.

Avatar
#312 GK1980
November 03 2013, 07:47AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

The Oilers have become the nerd of the NHL. It's the kid on the playground nobody hangs out with and if a fist a cuffs occurs you want to make sure you DON'T lose to the nerd because 28 of your other buddies are standing around watching you. The Florida / Edmonton game should be fun, watching these two teams slap each other around and pull each others hair. Two of the NHL's nerds going at it while the 28 other teams stand around and laugh. Jebus!

Avatar
#313 frank
November 03 2013, 07:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

It is total team defense that is the problem along wih too many small forwards. If ourforwards were capable of sustaining some pressure team would be better off. We can get the best goalie in the. World and I would not help. You can not put gagner yak ebs hall rnh together because it is not the right mix they all have talent but oo small. Getting a big skilled power forward is difficult toget bu one with some balls to help make some room for our little guys is not . Size does make a difference.

Avatar
#314 15w40
November 03 2013, 07:48AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers

CBC is going to start playing re-runs of the Road to Avonlea instead of broadcasting the late game if the Oilers are the only Canadian team in the match.

Not that I watched a whole bunch of it but the 10 minutes of the game that I did see in passing were pretty representative of the other 50 minutes.

It's not longer even maddening anymore. Its like watching a huge wreck unfold in slow motion with some commercials mixed in - like in Talladega Nights.

It goes from being comical to just flat out - meh........

Avatar
#315 Lowe Expectations
November 03 2013, 07:56AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

From the amount of comments here, the care people have for this team is strong. But the Oilers are like a child approaching adulthood that make bad decisions. You try your hardest to steer them down the right path, but they continue to do stupid things. Your love will never disappear, but you realize they have to face the consequences of there actions alone and take full responsibilty.

Thank you NFL for giving me this day to enjoy sports and not have my emotions ripped out of me.

Will Eakins make the Bugsy Watson line, 18 games.

Avatar
#316 Loweblows
November 03 2013, 08:08AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers
GK1980 wrote:

The Oilers have become the nerd of the NHL. It's the kid on the playground nobody hangs out with and if a fist a cuffs occurs you want to make sure you DON'T lose to the nerd because 28 of your other buddies are standing around watching you. The Florida / Edmonton game should be fun, watching these two teams slap each other around and pull each others hair. Two of the NHL's nerds going at it while the 28 other teams stand around and laugh. Jebus!

Are you kidding me? We're going to get bitch slapped by Florida. To compare the Oilers to the Panthers is laughable. The oilers couldn't beat a ringette team right now. Everything and I mean everything is wrong about this team. Please Oiler players just go lose your effin games and keep your effin mouths shut after you lose. Your cliches make me puke. Can they play the remainder of the season without their crest on their jerseys? Please Katz take your effin team to Seattle and eff off! Robin Brownlee said this site shouldn't be a personal site to attack players and that it should be a site dedicated to hockey. Well guess what Robin , this effin team doesn't play hockey so what the hell are we supposed to talk about?

Avatar
#317 pelhem grenville
November 03 2013, 08:12AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

...I pvr'd this game, got up, put the clocks back an hour read this blog and deleted it...

I think i'm a leaf fan now...

Avatar
#318 rob
November 03 2013, 08:18AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I hope they trade Hall to boston so i can make my second favorite team my first favorite team and forget the oil!the only reason I watch is for Hall,hes the only one that plays like he gives a kcuf!

Avatar
#319 hemi
November 03 2013, 08:19AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

@pelhem grenville

For the love of all things essential to being a well balance person, do not become a leaf fan!

Avatar
#320 Loweblows
November 03 2013, 08:20AM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Their once was a team called the oilers, They worked hard and were toilers, KLowe he can win, But now winnings a sin, Now the team are porcelain coilers.

Avatar
#321 vetinari
November 03 2013, 08:24AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
pelhem grenville wrote:

...I pvr'd this game, got up, put the clocks back an hour read this blog and deleted it...

I think i'm a leaf fan now...

Sadly, can't find it in my DNA to cheer for Toronto-- maybe Chicago? At least that was a successful rebuild...

Avatar
#322 pelhem grenville
November 03 2013, 08:26AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

hemi... I've never been well balanced...this team doesn't help that...I suppose neither will the leaves team but at least there aren't THREE HUNDRED+ sad a$$ fan comments I'll have to read after every game...

Avatar
#323 JamieN
November 03 2013, 08:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

To be quite honest, I tried to watch Saturday's game against Detroit . I changed the channel ten minutes into the first period. It's not the commentators on the broadcast making futile attempts to point out the positives about this squad. Or fans and media in general attempting to make heads or tails of this team's lack of success . It's what I see on the ice that made me rather indifferent to this team . No longer will I take time in my evening to watch this team play a soulless, empty brand of hockey filled with confusion and a lack of ....... Passion. Like I said , I am indifferent towards taking time from my day/evening to devote to this organization. It is that indifference that makes me absolutely furious with the Oilers. I blame you , the entire Edmonton Oilers hockey club , from the part time janitor on weekends to Mr Katz , for robbing me of my passion for this team. Sure there is the arguement that we , the fans, are to blame for letting this team bask in futility by selling out our antiquated arena every game night. Maybe this Club is foolish enought to believe the fans buy into this swill being fed to them by their Propaganda department. All I know is the product on the ice stinks, it has for a long time now. The excuses are now tired and hollow because they have been used by everyone . It's high time theat everyone involved with the hockey club takes a long hard look at themselves and asks " what am I doing here? What am I / are we trying to achieve here ? And lastly What am I willing to do to achieve it?

Avatar
#324 KenL
November 03 2013, 08:35AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

When the Oil went 2 games on the road last season without scoring a goal, I was pissed. Now that they've repeated the same streak at home I'm super pissed! Every season for the last 20 years, I naively believe the Oil would get into the playoffs, regardless of talent. I have no such optimism for this group.

I have purchased a share of season tickets for 20 years, and would always jump at the chance to buy extra games if the season ticket holder couldn't attend. Not this season. Even if he offers me the Pens game (which he never does), I will forego the opportunity to see Crosby live than support this sad sack lifeless team.

Avatar
#325 2004Z06
November 03 2013, 08:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

As a former tier 2 fan I didn't even watch the game last night. Was offered tickets and politely declined. Yup, that's where I am at! How did it turn out by the way?

Avatar
#326 pelhem grenville
November 03 2013, 08:39AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
vetinari wrote:

Sadly, can't find it in my DNA to cheer for Toronto-- maybe Chicago? At least that was a successful rebuild...

...love the Hawks V...but to come on here and say I think im a hawks fan now would show as frontrunning and i'm not that way ...the leafs have Bolland always one of my favorite players ...I was once a leaf fan in the 70's but fell off the bandwagon when they traded Lanny...I wandered in the desert until I moved to Etown and GotGretz...i'm back in the less than flourishing Ontario now again...retired sorta and just really diggin'on the weather and how the leaves are still turning colors...and winning more helps...these times for oiler fans are tuff but I don't have to play if I don't want to, do I?

Avatar
#327 Rod from Viking
November 03 2013, 08:47AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

This whole mess is on upper management, remember after the 06 run, Pronger traded for peanuts, overpaying Horcoff, Pisani etc, trading the young core that actually had some size and grit (Stoll,Green and Torres), offer sheets to Penner and Vanek, this not only was the beginning of the end it enabled the Ducks and Kings to win a cup. Stauffer was so adamant that EIG sell to Katz and what a difference it would make and a lot of us bought in because we had loved Bob's candidacy at another time and place radio show. Well it has made a huge difference, Katz got a new toy, Stauffer got his dream job, and Kevin Lowe got an apparent live time contract. It would not have been to difficult to have drafted smarter on the 2012 FOA and bridge contracts for the fab 3 would have been more logical. I am a tier 1 season ticket holder and leaving the seats empty not giving them away and no renewals is the only way anything is going to change and that is tough at the price we paid for them but an empty building will produce changes.

Avatar
#328 madjam
November 03 2013, 09:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

They sure know how to take the spirit and entertainment out of hockey . Our winters are not even that bad .

Avatar
#329 Marty
November 03 2013, 09:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Rod from Viking

Wrong. Katz likes money. Stop giving him your money and maybe they will need to realize that fans are customers. Buying tickets and not using them is stupid. Stop buying tickets. Take your tickets and show up with a paper bag head, or a sign that says "I now cheer for the Leafs/Flames/Anybody else".

Coming from a tier-2 fan who hasn't spent a dime on Oilers anything since before the lockout. Take my opinion for what it's worth.

Avatar
#330 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 03 2013, 09:13AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

29th place.....YES!

Don't act like we don't still need this.

Avatar
#331 Smokey
November 03 2013, 09:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Greg wrote:

it's getting bad when inside, you find yourself cheering for the other team. just so we as fans can prove our point.

i'll cry myself to sleep tonight, and i wont be using tissues from Rexall... Viva la Shoppers Drug Mart!

Oh, and i almost forgot.

FIRE KEVIN LOWE!

I join you on your Rexall boycott...Off to Shoppers for milk...

Avatar
#332 Rod from Viking
November 03 2013, 09:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Marty wrote:

Wrong. Katz likes money. Stop giving him your money and maybe they will need to realize that fans are customers. Buying tickets and not using them is stupid. Stop buying tickets. Take your tickets and show up with a paper bag head, or a sign that says "I now cheer for the Leafs/Flames/Anybody else".

Coming from a tier-2 fan who hasn't spent a dime on Oilers anything since before the lockout. Take my opinion for what it's worth.

I can't get the money back from this years tickets,leave them empty for the rest of season and don't renew or do your idea and yes all fans opinion's are equally important, a piece of paper(or a stupid card) doesn't make you a better or more important you just have less money.

Avatar
#333 morgie
November 03 2013, 09:32AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Rod from Viking wrote:

This whole mess is on upper management, remember after the 06 run, Pronger traded for peanuts, overpaying Horcoff, Pisani etc, trading the young core that actually had some size and grit (Stoll,Green and Torres), offer sheets to Penner and Vanek, this not only was the beginning of the end it enabled the Ducks and Kings to win a cup. Stauffer was so adamant that EIG sell to Katz and what a difference it would make and a lot of us bought in because we had loved Bob's candidacy at another time and place radio show. Well it has made a huge difference, Katz got a new toy, Stauffer got his dream job, and Kevin Lowe got an apparent live time contract. It would not have been to difficult to have drafted smarter on the 2012 FOA and bridge contracts for the fab 3 would have been more logical. I am a tier 1 season ticket holder and leaving the seats empty not giving them away and no renewals is the only way anything is going to change and that is tough at the price we paid for them but an empty building will produce changes.

And the best part is we are building a Taj Mahal mostly on tax payor money, handing over all building profits, merely for rent, subsidized for the first 10 years no less, for the privilege of doing this, we get to pay more for concerts etc

Yeehaw good times!

On second thought, it's not all that bad because if winning is ever a concern, we have the assurance from Kevin Lowe he can change that LMAO

Avatar
#334 camdog
November 03 2013, 09:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rod from Viking

Just curious what Kevin Lowe said to season ticket holders when he promised the "rebuild"? Curious how he was promising/selling the "rebuild" when he wasn't even the teams GM?

Avatar
#335 Rod from Viking
November 03 2013, 09:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
camdog wrote:

Just curious what Kevin Lowe said to season ticket holders when he promised the "rebuild"? Curious how he was promising/selling the "rebuild" when he wasn't even the teams GM?

I don't remember, it was either the Oiler kool aid or the yearly coaching turnstyle and new first round pick. They have made bold(I mean bone head) moves every year and besides that you put a deposit or have to pay for your tickets a long time before you know what kind of changes for the next season, plus Oiler's now gets me pumped up to renew. "I need professional help!"

Avatar
#336 michael
November 03 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
25
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Suck it up you bunch of fair weather pansies. What did you expect coming out of the gate this season? 10-0 ,20-0.

I expected just what I am seeing. I thought we would get 8 points in October. We got 8 points.

There was o way in my mind that we were going to any better. No RNH.NO Gagner.New systems. New coaches. New coaches. The chemistry for this team was and is so messed up its not even funny.

Who expected to win last night give your head a shake.

A veteran team that plays a system that they have had for years under a coach they have had for years with a group of players that have played together for years. Yup we should have beaten that team.

Reality check over. Now that you've all been put in your right frame of mind I'll tell you what else I believe.

I believe that this team will not make the playoffs. Given what we know about the analytics that was easy to say. The harder thing to say is that I believe that Dallas Eakins will turn this team around by the Olympic break. Till then it will not be pretty. At all. Put your fire Klowes,trade Yakupov, and all your other fear driven ideas to rest and for the next little while watch this team learn and grow. It'll like watching a two year old toddler. It won't be pretty but eventually the toddler learns.

Avatar
#337 Loweblows
November 03 2013, 09:59AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Memo to city: Please do not release any funds for the new arena until we have assurances from Katz that the Oiler mamangement team be fired immediately and replaced with someone, anyone!

Avatar
#338 oilmyoil
November 03 2013, 10:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

can we just lock up these so called hockey players in the lock er room so they don't embarrass themselves anymore

Avatar
#339 6 ring circus
November 03 2013, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

(Gretzky): "It got to the point where it wasn't even funny" "How long has it been for them? Three years? Five? Seven? Probably closer to nine. Well, it's about time they got their act together. They're ruining the whole league. They better stop running a Mickey Mouse organization and put somebody on the ice." ... 30 years later and it's the Oilers who are the Mickey mouse organization.

Avatar
#340 6rings
November 03 2013, 10:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@michael

Sure you did . And all I expected , and was assured would take place, was effort , try, compete and moves by management that would be bold. Very simple.

Avatar
#341 madjam
November 03 2013, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Beyond atrocious management ,questionable coaching and another uninspiring team that excites almost nobody anymore ,fans are turning away in support spiritually of our club . Entertainment has been vampired/sucked right out of the fans .Can hardly blame the fans for turning their backs on management , coaching and team . All that seems to remain is the Kool-Aid rhetoric that is falling on more and more deaf ears . That's what they built and that's now what they are getting for their failed efforts . Should lead to change but unlikely with this current group .

Avatar
#342 The Real Scuba Steve
November 03 2013, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
morgie wrote:

And the best part is we are building a Taj Mahal mostly on tax payor money, handing over all building profits, merely for rent, subsidized for the first 10 years no less, for the privilege of doing this, we get to pay more for concerts etc

Yeehaw good times!

On second thought, it's not all that bad because if winning is ever a concern, we have the assurance from Kevin Lowe he can change that LMAO

Katz will not stand for this when the new is arena is built. This is his legacy, his ego, having a team playing this bad in a new arena with all eyes watching him in the hockey world no old boys on the bus jobs will be safe. I just hope none of our young guns demand trades before then.

Avatar
#343 Don W
November 03 2013, 10:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

I guess I understand now how Atlanta was so bad even with their high picks.

Avatar
#344 Marty
November 03 2013, 10:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rod from Viking

Very true - I'm not affluent enough to be able to afford these oh-so-valuable tickets. Basically a former die-hard fan who now is just apathetic (and I realize the irony of that statement by posting here). All I am trying to say is that they only way for Katz to sit up and take notice is if this somehow starts affecting his bottom line. For every fan who says they won't renew their season tickets, there are five more lined up to snap them up. That's the problem - they have it in Toronto and we have it here. We have to remember that we are customers (buying beer at the sports bars, hats, jerseys, other Oilers labelled crap, etc) and that if we're not happy with the product, don't pay your money. If you've already wasted money on season tix this year then you need to do whatever you think you need to do in order to send a message. I personally don't think that having empty seats that are paid for is the way to send that message but that's just my opinion.

Avatar
#345 MattL
November 03 2013, 10:09AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

What exactly is firing KLowe going to fix about this team today? Do you mean you want a new GM? Do you want a better coach? Different players? Who do you suggest as replacements? Because if you fire KLowe, one or more of those things is probably going to happen too.

Or do you just want to see someone punished for hurting your poor hockey feelings?

Avatar
#346 Zarny
November 03 2013, 10:10AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
spliff wrote:

Which team will want Ebs, Nuge or Hall? All making 6 bills a year, and not showing they are worth that kind of coin.

The Oil have really painted themselves into a corner. I wonder how many interviews MacT had with Eakins before the was hired? Getting the right coach crucial, but from what I understand Eakins was hired after one interview. If that is the case, this is complete negligence by MacT. You'd think MacT would check out Eakins systems proposal and do a pros and cons analysis. It all smells like amateurville to me, but then why am I surprised. The management of this team has been amateurish for 20 years know.

Like many poster here, I am a lifelong diehard fan, and I keep hanging in there, checking the scores and trying to be hopeful, but last night's game was a real turn-off. I am getting closer and closer to apathy. The goal for an NHL team is to win the Cup, and Step One is making the playoffs. We are so far away from Step One, and have been for too long that whats the point in cheering for this team. What is the f*cking point in cheering for a team, whose management is so mediocre, that they can't get their team even close to the playoffs, in a league where 16/30 teams make the playoffs?

Good grief, you can't be serious.

There are 29 other teams who would take Hall, Ebs or Nuge in a heartbeat.

Based on their career Octobers, Iginla and Luongo probably never play in the NHL.

I guess Phi should just waive Claude Giroux too lol.

Get a grip.

Avatar
#347 Out with the trash
November 03 2013, 10:10AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

I have been trying to figure out how to best convey how I feel about the current Oilers situation. As a second generation ticket holder I have been attending games since the age of 5. In that time I have seen some highs and lows, but last night I witnessed something else. The passion for this team has turned into apathy. I thought it was bad in the mid 90's when I'd be in the stands with 6000 other fans watching abysmal hockey played by a sub par team. Last night almost 17,000 fans showed up to watch the Oil. Except the Oil didn't show up. I have been as loyal a fan as I could possibly be. But now is the time to cut my losses. It has become painfully obvious that the only thing the Oilers want from me is my money. Well, no more money for you. I am cutting you off. No more driving thru blizzards for games, no more jerseys, hats, nothing. I am washing my hands of this team. I have paid over $300,000 in tickets since the Oilers last playoff game. I bought into the rebuild but this is not a rebuild it is a fleecing. My seats will remain vacant for the remainder of the season and the ticket renewal notice and calls will be left unanswered at years end. The Oilers will undoubtedly fill my seats next year but for the first time in almost 36 years. I don't care. I sincerely hope for the best for the Oilers but I am no longer willing waste my time or throw away money on the garbage product that has been on display since 2007. Ah... Now to get rid of this CoolAide taste left in my mouth.

Avatar
#348 Serious Gord
November 03 2013, 10:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
michael wrote:

Suck it up you bunch of fair weather pansies. What did you expect coming out of the gate this season? 10-0 ,20-0.

I expected just what I am seeing. I thought we would get 8 points in October. We got 8 points.

There was o way in my mind that we were going to any better. No RNH.NO Gagner.New systems. New coaches. New coaches. The chemistry for this team was and is so messed up its not even funny.

Who expected to win last night give your head a shake.

A veteran team that plays a system that they have had for years under a coach they have had for years with a group of players that have played together for years. Yup we should have beaten that team.

Reality check over. Now that you've all been put in your right frame of mind I'll tell you what else I believe.

I believe that this team will not make the playoffs. Given what we know about the analytics that was easy to say. The harder thing to say is that I believe that Dallas Eakins will turn this team around by the Olympic break. Till then it will not be pretty. At all. Put your fire Klowes,trade Yakupov, and all your other fear driven ideas to rest and for the next little while watch this team learn and grow. It'll like watching a two year old toddler. It won't be pretty but eventually the toddler learns.

"Fair weather" eh? The fans reading and posting on this site have been enduring hurricane conditions for seven plus years now.

The status quo in management has failed now for seven plus years. Time to change the status quo.

As for Eakins, he should have been made assistant on some other - more established team before moving up to head coach.

Avatar
#349 Derek
November 03 2013, 10:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@hemi

This team is exactly where they belong in standings given upper management's public posturing during this so called rebuild. For years KLowe Tambo and the various coaches have given the players an excuse for why they should not be expected to win because the team is rebuilding and they are young. This is professional hockey, the players are getting payed elite salaries, the fans are paying full prices for tickets and merchandise, there was never/nor should have been a excuse for losing. Winning is all that matters in sports if your not expecting to compete and win every time you hit the ice then your in the wrong business. Now having created and nurtured a culture that says losing is acceptable for years, it is asinine for management to think they can flip the switch and turn players (who are in the habit of losing and believing on some level its expected) into winners. If Katz wants to win he will first have to fire Lowe, all of management and the coaching staff and start over. No more former Oilers or inexperienced coaches. I dont want this regime to even touch the roster for fear they would only make things worse for their potential replacements.

Avatar
#350 Serious Gord
November 03 2013, 10:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Out with the trash wrote:

I have been trying to figure out how to best convey how I feel about the current Oilers situation. As a second generation ticket holder I have been attending games since the age of 5. In that time I have seen some highs and lows, but last night I witnessed something else. The passion for this team has turned into apathy. I thought it was bad in the mid 90's when I'd be in the stands with 6000 other fans watching abysmal hockey played by a sub par team. Last night almost 17,000 fans showed up to watch the Oil. Except the Oil didn't show up. I have been as loyal a fan as I could possibly be. But now is the time to cut my losses. It has become painfully obvious that the only thing the Oilers want from me is my money. Well, no more money for you. I am cutting you off. No more driving thru blizzards for games, no more jerseys, hats, nothing. I am washing my hands of this team. I have paid over $300,000 in tickets since the Oilers last playoff game. I bought into the rebuild but this is not a rebuild it is a fleecing. My seats will remain vacant for the remainder of the season and the ticket renewal notice and calls will be left unanswered at years end. The Oilers will undoubtedly fill my seats next year but for the first time in almost 36 years. I don't care. I sincerely hope for the best for the Oilers but I am no longer willing waste my time or throw away money on the garbage product that has been on display since 2007. Ah... Now to get rid of this CoolAide taste left in my mouth.

Right now six rings is sitting on Katz' couch with tears in his eyes.

300000 down the hole is a very sobering way to frame the issue.

Comments are closed for this article.