RUSSIAN BEARS

Lowetide
November 20 2013 04:37PM

 

At the 2013 Entry draft (and for the second time this century) the Edmonton Oilers spent two of their first four selections on Russian kids playing in Russia. Stu MacGregor (and Oiler fans) are hoping it works out better the second time. 

THE 2000 ENTRY DRAFT

At the 2000 draft, Edmonton spent their first round selection on big winger Alexei Mikhnov. The 6.05 winger had skating issues and went back to Russia (where he's enjoyed a fine career in the Super League and now the KHL). At 31, he appears to be slowing, but for our purposes a 1st round selection who plays in 2 NHL games is the definition of draft bust. 

At least he played in the NHL. Later in that 2000 entry draft, the Oilers selected Alexander Ljubimov, who played exactly one season in North America (with the wonderfully named Odessa Jackalopes of the CHL) before returning to Russia. 

17th overall and 83rd overall, 2 NHL games. That's not good. The Oilers have never traditionally made Russia a priority, but this past draft (with Nail Yakupov in the fold) the club took two more Russians in the same draft. 

THE 2013 ENTRY DRAFT

The Oilers took big center Bogdan Yakimov and skill winger Anton Slepyshev in the third round of this season's draft, the first Russians taken that high since Mikhnov and Ljubimov. 

It's likely going to be a couple of years before we see these players (KHL contracts), but there's definitely an interest in the Oilers, and at least some of the credit has to do with Yakupov (he's opening doors to an area where Edmonton has had little or no success). 

So far this season, both men have had some success followed by long periods of inactivity/crickets in the boxcars:

  • Bogdan Yakimov 26, 5-5-10 +2 36sog 9:44TOI 60% faceoffs
  • Anton Slepyshev 17, 2-1-3 +2 19sog 9:57TOI

Yakimov is a big center (6.05, 202) and Slepyshev a fleet (6.02, 187) winger. Rob Vollman's NHL equivalencies put the KHL numbers in perspective:

  • Yakimov 82, 12-13-25 (the actual NHLE is 24.6/82games)
  • Slepyshev 82, 7-4-11 (the actual NHLE is 11/29/82games)

These are early days, and the TOI total probably tells us that these are depth minutes being played by both prospects. However, Yakimov is tracking nicely so far—those are solid numbers for a 19-year old center—and Oiler fans should be encouraged by his showing this season. 

A QUICK NOTE

Teemu Hartikainen is having a nice season in the KHL (27, 9-10-19 -1) and Daniil Zharkov (26, 3-0-3 E) is also seeing some playing time over there. Hartikainen's NHLE run through Vollman gives him 82, 22-23-45, and that's a very nice number. I wonder if the Oilers consider bringing him back next season (Harski's KHL deal is for two seasons but there's usually an opt out in the contract). 

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

There are no sure things from the 2013 draft, but this Yakimov kid is tracking well. He's a center, he's 6.05 and he can post offense. There is no doubt the Oilers have noticed his progress. We wait. 

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#51 gcw_rocks
November 20 2013, 09:17PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Isn't Slepyshev a year older? I would think his play this season is cause for concern.

Avatar
#53 DSF
November 20 2013, 09:23PM
Trash it!
68
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Just curious...no sarcasm....did you get a chance to see the 7-0 game against Columbus....and if so, did you derive any joy from seeing it?

Yeah...i watched the game.

I saw a pretty mediocre team who didn't show up to play taken to the woodshed by another mediocre team that did show up to play.

I guess in a season that was already over in mid October you can take some "joy" from that but, in the bigger picture, it's absolutely meaningless.

Sports teams often play well in garbage time because there is no pressure to produce but those same teams are also prone to mailing it in.

Once we get into the dog days of January and February, with a steady diet of games against teams in the WC that are fighting for a playoff spot, we'll get a better measure of the Oilers.

I expect they'll do enough to elicit the "wait until next year" song from Oilers fans, but that song is getting very, very old.

A team that has drafted so many times in the top 10 in the past 8 years should be a contender but they're still garbage and teams that have been smart, bold and prudent like Minnesota, Dallas and Colorado are leaving them in the dust.

Next up...a head to head competition with Calgary who, less than a year ago decided to rebuild, and are already better than the Oilers and are much better positioned to take a step forward.

With Burke running that show, I expect the Oilers will come out second best.

Joy?

Avatar
#54 littleconer
November 20 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate wrote:

LoweTide, You Da Man

Green Eyed Jennifer Garner

I think I'm in love

Doesn't Jennifer Garner have brown eyes? Regardless, I agree - she's a beauty.

Avatar
#55 LoweBlow
November 20 2013, 09:40PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
53
cheers
DSF wrote:

Yeah...i watched the game.

I saw a pretty mediocre team who didn't show up to play taken to the woodshed by another mediocre team that did show up to play.

I guess in a season that was already over in mid October you can take some "joy" from that but, in the bigger picture, it's absolutely meaningless.

Sports teams often play well in garbage time because there is no pressure to produce but those same teams are also prone to mailing it in.

Once we get into the dog days of January and February, with a steady diet of games against teams in the WC that are fighting for a playoff spot, we'll get a better measure of the Oilers.

I expect they'll do enough to elicit the "wait until next year" song from Oilers fans, but that song is getting very, very old.

A team that has drafted so many times in the top 10 in the past 8 years should be a contender but they're still garbage and teams that have been smart, bold and prudent like Minnesota, Dallas and Colorado are leaving them in the dust.

Next up...a head to head competition with Calgary who, less than a year ago decided to rebuild, and are already better than the Oilers and are much better positioned to take a step forward.

With Burke running that show, I expect the Oilers will come out second best.

Joy?

You're just a miserable human being. I used to enjoy your contrary perspective. Now you're just depressing.

The home losing & goalless streak was sad. Reading your posts is worse.

Sorry DSF, it's not me, it's you. I'll just have to move on.

Avatar
#56 Toro
November 20 2013, 09:45PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Stu sucks at drafting anyone can take the best player 1st overall

Avatar
#57 PapaMike
November 20 2013, 09:47PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

Yeah...i watched the game.

I saw a pretty mediocre team who didn't show up to play taken to the woodshed by another mediocre team that did show up to play.

I guess in a season that was already over in mid October you can take some "joy" from that but, in the bigger picture, it's absolutely meaningless.

Sports teams often play well in garbage time because there is no pressure to produce but those same teams are also prone to mailing it in.

Once we get into the dog days of January and February, with a steady diet of games against teams in the WC that are fighting for a playoff spot, we'll get a better measure of the Oilers.

I expect they'll do enough to elicit the "wait until next year" song from Oilers fans, but that song is getting very, very old.

A team that has drafted so many times in the top 10 in the past 8 years should be a contender but they're still garbage and teams that have been smart, bold and prudent like Minnesota, Dallas and Colorado are leaving them in the dust.

Next up...a head to head competition with Calgary who, less than a year ago decided to rebuild, and are already better than the Oilers and are much better positioned to take a step forward.

With Burke running that show, I expect the Oilers will come out second best.

Joy?

I don't think that the Flames are in a better position than the Oilers. I feel that we have the assets to trade to upgrade IMO. The Flames are only 3 points and 1 game up on us. I see top 5 for both teams in the upcoming draft. Also the Oilers are only 18 points behind Chicago for first.....LMAO!!

Avatar
#58 DSF
November 20 2013, 09:47PM
Trash it!
40
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
LoweBlow wrote:

You're just a miserable human being. I used to enjoy your contrary perspective. Now you're just depressing.

The home losing & goalless streak was sad. Reading your posts is worse.

Sorry DSF, it's not me, it's you. I'll just have to move on.

Two wins, a gulp of kool aid and you're back on the bandwagon.

Enjoy.

Avatar
#59 LoweBlow
November 20 2013, 09:51PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
56
cheers
DSF wrote:

Two wins, a gulp of kool aid and you're back on the bandwagon.

Enjoy.

I'm certainly not on the bandwagon. I'm just getting enough negativity from the Edmonton Oilers Organization. They're broken.

You simply package up the same brand of 'Debbie-Downer-ness' everyday in your posts. It's worn us all down on this site.

We get it, the Oilers are broken. Huge holes in the lineup. They're still my team and I want them to win.

I'd love for the right changes to happen. Until then, I'll enjoy the little things.

Avatar
#60 Jzed
November 20 2013, 09:52PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
DSF wrote:

But I know punctuation, grammar and spelling.

Dickish?

Really?

How well do you know them? Really, you should try to make friends with people with less peculiar names.

Dickish? I get your angst, might as well be a real dick if your going to get painted with that brush anyway. It is what you are shooting for, right?

Really? Yah really. All Oiler players, management, fans, hot dog vendors, cheerleaders, even people walking across the street from the coliseum suck. Ok?

Now get lost and expend your brilliance on someone who gives a flying xxxx.

Avatar
#61 DSF
November 20 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
PapaMike wrote:

I don't think that the Flames are in a better position than the Oilers. I feel that we have the assets to trade to upgrade IMO. The Flames are only 3 points and 1 game up on us. I see top 5 for both teams in the upcoming draft. Also the Oilers are only 18 points behind Chicago for first.....LMAO!!

The Flames had THREE first round picks last season and all of them are tracking very well.

The Flames have about $30M in cap space next season and I expect they will turn Cammalleri into another first round pick.

The Oilers also have quite a bit of cap space but they have to re-sign Petry, Belov and J. Schultz and have ZERO goaltenders under contract.

The Flames have Brian Burke running the show and the Oilers have Kevin Lowe.

I'll put my cash on the Flames.

Avatar
#62 DSF
November 20 2013, 10:24PM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Lowetide wrote:

Hmmm. Well, if we keep it to just Yakimov, Slepyshev and Zharkov then we're probably talking 5 years from now. We'll know by then. If you include Hartikainen, well he's halfway there now and will probably take another shot after his KHL time is done (whether he gets a job is another matter).

Psssttt...

Christian Ehrhoff has a NTC and he's not going to waive it to come to Edmonton.

Avatar
#63 Rogue
November 20 2013, 10:29PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

DSF Has to actually be civil on Lowetides blog or he gets punted. Here he can blather on endlessly, turning fact into fiction and vice versa. And of course every team has drafted better than Edmonton. He knows it all. Your hatred make me shake my head. Good thing you have a place to erupt, or I am sure your Head would erupt like a Volcano.

Drivel Spouting Fool or is it Defying Sanity Forever? Take your pick.

Avatar
#64 Hauk15
November 20 2013, 10:36PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

DSF why must you spew your garbage on here? Nobody takes you seriously. You don't know jack-$hit about the game...I can't tell if you are bein serious or just trolling. Either way you just look dumb as f*ck.

Avatar
#65 Todd
November 20 2013, 10:42PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
43
cheers
DSF wrote:

The Flames had THREE first round picks last season and all of them are tracking very well.

The Flames have about $30M in cap space next season and I expect they will turn Cammalleri into another first round pick.

The Oilers also have quite a bit of cap space but they have to re-sign Petry, Belov and J. Schultz and have ZERO goaltenders under contract.

The Flames have Brian Burke running the show and the Oilers have Kevin Lowe.

I'll put my cash on the Flames.

You said the EXACT same post 2 years ago about Florida. Exact. Verbatim.

I can find links to the comments if you'd like? Let me know if you forget your complete asshat flip floppery about your mancrush Tallon and the Panthers and I'll dig it up for you.

End of the day your comment is just dumb. There is no GM in the universe (not even Bryz's alternate universe) who would trade the entire Oilers team today off the entire Flames team. It's just dumb to even say, but that's expected.

Avatar
#66 gongshow
November 20 2013, 10:51PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers
DSF wrote:

Yeah...i watched the game.

I saw a pretty mediocre team who didn't show up to play taken to the woodshed by another mediocre team that did show up to play.

I guess in a season that was already over in mid October you can take some "joy" from that but, in the bigger picture, it's absolutely meaningless.

Sports teams often play well in garbage time because there is no pressure to produce but those same teams are also prone to mailing it in.

Once we get into the dog days of January and February, with a steady diet of games against teams in the WC that are fighting for a playoff spot, we'll get a better measure of the Oilers.

I expect they'll do enough to elicit the "wait until next year" song from Oilers fans, but that song is getting very, very old.

A team that has drafted so many times in the top 10 in the past 8 years should be a contender but they're still garbage and teams that have been smart, bold and prudent like Minnesota, Dallas and Colorado are leaving them in the dust.

Next up...a head to head competition with Calgary who, less than a year ago decided to rebuild, and are already better than the Oilers and are much better positioned to take a step forward.

With Burke running that show, I expect the Oilers will come out second best.

Joy?

DSF - once again, you speak the truth. As always, you are 100% on the money when you make the point that the Oilers are horrible and there has been terrible mismanagement of the team's resources. However...

I actually believe that DSF has to be Brownlee or Wanye, trolling us all simply to increase the Nation traffic. There is no way that someone has this much free time and negativity to just to crap on stuff all day.

Avatar
#67 ShakyDS
November 20 2013, 10:57PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers

43%

43% is the stat. That's the percentage of comments that are either from DSF or replies to DSF on this article alone. 28/65 43%. Embarrassing.

DSF, you make this site worse not better. Please move on.

Avatar
#68 justDOit
November 20 2013, 11:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

@ShakyDS

So this article's DorSFi is 43%. Good to know.

Edit: Does your DorSFi calculation include the post with your findings? It kind of has to.

But really, if you think he's a troll, then don't respond, and that will lower his DorSFi enough that he might not continue. My feelings are that everyone should be able to have a voice here, as long as they're not making personal attacks.

Avatar
#69 Dog Train
November 20 2013, 11:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Well I see the comment section has fallen apart for this article just like all of the other ones. Just ignore a certain somebody, see how much they enjoy talking when nobody's listening.

As for the article, Yakimov sounds like he would be a godsend if he turns out. A big centre who can can contribute offensively, we could definitely use some of that. Slepyshev has been pretty disappointin but given the upside, I have no problem making that pick. It was gamble and probably won't turn out but you have to take some risks as the draft rolls along.

Avatar
#70 westcoastliving
November 20 2013, 11:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

I came back to this site after a hiatus and I find another DSF troll job. I was quickly reminded why I left.

good riddance DSF

Avatar
#71 ShakyDS
November 20 2013, 11:48PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
justDOit wrote:

So this article's DorSFi is 43%. Good to know.

Edit: Does your DorSFi calculation include the post with your findings? It kind of has to.

But really, if you think he's a troll, then don't respond, and that will lower his DorSFi enough that he might not continue. My feelings are that everyone should be able to have a voice here, as long as they're not making personal attacks.

First and last time I will ever reply or mention that troll. He has really dropped to a new low in the last week, and I can only listen to a broken record for so long. Everyone deserves a voice here, wouldn't mind hearing a different song once in a while is all.

Avatar
#72 Tommy Ryan Salo-Smyth
November 21 2013, 12:07AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

Don't be so hard on this DSF guy. If someone goes to as much trouble as he does to read every blog, comment negatively dozens of times, look up all these stats to try to prove he's smarter than everyone and the Oilers are the worst thing since Hitler etc etc I can only guess that he lives a pretty sad and lonely life with little to no human interaction. Picture the World of Warcraft episode of South Park for those who watch. "How do you kill he who has no life?" Unfortunately we can't. We're going to have to deal with him because us poor, overly optimistic, ridiculously faithful Oiler fans are all he's got.

Avatar
#73 oilerman53
November 21 2013, 01:57AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Im pretty sure DSF went from having Minnesota lose, Vancouver lose to having Calgary lose to then switching his allegiance to Colorado. This guy is all over the place with his nonsensical drivel on almost every blog downplaying the Oilers with his Corsi ratings and whatever. With that being said the Oilers needed a calming influence over the past few games. Having your top two centers miss the opening would hinder any team in the league.

The Russian center is intriguing to say the least and that is to say the least. KHL success does not always turn into NHL success but Belov has been a nice surprise this season. With a 6'5 200+ pound frame you will get a long look anywhere in the world.

Avatar
#74 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 21 2013, 02:29AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Todd wrote:

You said the EXACT same post 2 years ago about Florida. Exact. Verbatim.

I can find links to the comments if you'd like? Let me know if you forget your complete asshat flip floppery about your mancrush Tallon and the Panthers and I'll dig it up for you.

End of the day your comment is just dumb. There is no GM in the universe (not even Bryz's alternate universe) who would trade the entire Oilers team today off the entire Flames team. It's just dumb to even say, but that's expected.

So much this. For a whole season there, all he'd talk about was how Tallon's a genius and the Panthers were gonna completely rebuild in less than a season, playoffs and cup contention after two.

Avatar
#75 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 21 2013, 06:43AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

So much this. For a whole season there, all he'd talk about was how Tallon's a genius and the Panthers were gonna completely rebuild in less than a season, playoffs and cup contention after two.

the florida one was a good one.

my personal fav is still the months of telling anyone who would listen (and those who wouldnt) all the reasons why Schultz would NEVER sign in Edmonton.

followed closely by the proclamation that the Minnesota Wild would be THE elite team in the NHL for the next 10 years, including a benchmark for home playoff dates that bordered on comical.

i am all for everyone having a voice. people just need to realize who it is they are dealing with and the track record that follows him.

Avatar
#76 madjam
November 21 2013, 06:45AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Burke a mover and shaker type but only a temporary type , like Keenan cleaning house . Calgary still yet to bottom out , as I suspect they will over next two seasons . Despite Oilers poor start they should rise above last years finish . MacT. has to become much more active in procuring talent from outside . The sooner the better as time and points are wasting . Status quo not nearly enough .

Avatar
#77 HardBoiledOil
November 21 2013, 07:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Yakimov is the guy i'm hoping for to succeed. big center with 3rd/4th line talent. i hope he makes it here.

Avatar
#78 HardBoiledOil
November 21 2013, 07:11AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
DSF wrote:

Psssttt...

Christian Ehrhoff has a NTC and he's not going to waive it to come to Edmonton.

how do you know this? did you speak to him personally?

Avatar
#79 HardBoiledOil
November 21 2013, 07:12AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Toro wrote:

Stu sucks at drafting anyone can take the best player 1st overall

i'm starting to think that he's not the "Magnificent *astard" we all thought he was.

Avatar
#80 mharco
November 21 2013, 07:27AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

DSF. My mom says we can't be friends anynore. She says you make me bully the wimpier kid. Sorry.

Runs off to play floor hockey with oil prospects.

Avatar
#81 Floyd Jiveson
November 21 2013, 07:39AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

@DSF

Why don't you go hang out with your wife and kids. Don't you have better things to do? Or your retired and eat spam all day??

Avatar
#82 sizzay
November 21 2013, 08:31AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
DSF wrote:

The Flames had THREE first round picks last season and all of them are tracking very well.

The Flames have about $30M in cap space next season and I expect they will turn Cammalleri into another first round pick.

The Oilers also have quite a bit of cap space but they have to re-sign Petry, Belov and J. Schultz and have ZERO goaltenders under contract.

The Flames have Brian Burke running the show and the Oilers have Kevin Lowe.

I'll put my cash on the Flames.

Tracking very well? Oilers 2007 - 3 first round picks

Sam Gagner - 18yr old NHL rookie = 13 goals, 36 assists, 49 points in 79 games

Alex Plante - year after had a terrible season but bounced back the year after for 45 points in 68 games and is a Defensive defenseman

Riley Nash almost a point per game for Cornell after the Oilers drafted him in the 2007-2008 season

The three of them were tracking pretty good as well.

Don't be so sure the flames won't botch the 2013 draft like the Oilers did the 2007 my friend. Be more objective.

That being said, Monahan looks like a great player and I expect good things from him. The other two, it's two early to tell.

Not to mention the flames took a huge risk on Jankowski and passed on Maata, Samuelson, Subban, and Pearson. The 4 aforementioned players are tracking better than Jankowski at the moment, albeit they are a bit older than the Janitor Jankowski. Maata is only a few weeks older than Jankowski, the others are a several months.

And yes, I'd rather have Burke running the show over Lowe any day.

Avatar
#83 sizzay
November 21 2013, 08:35AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

LT,

How has Khaira been looking in the WHL?

I understand he came off an injury 9 points in 14 games isn't bad but not great.

How's the two way game, speed and nastiness? I imagine he might be coming on offensively so hopefully he gets to a point per game by season end.

Glad to see Nurse showing more of his offensive game too.

Avatar
#84 michael
November 21 2013, 08:39AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@DSF Please take a moment to look at the NHL schedule for February. Little thing called the Olympics will be happening during that month.

There will be a lot of lag left over that affect the participants. Meanwhile the Oilers major players will be rested and have more practice time with the coach's to fix some of the ongoing issues.

Other teams will losing some players over Christmas to the WJHC's. McKinnon?

What I am trying to point out DSF is that the season is a marathon. Early standing /20 games, do not a season make. Even though stats say otherwise. The stats show probability. Not the final result.

The Oilers are a team that is growing and will continue to learn at a pace that a team this young is expected to. They are not a veteran laden team like Detroit or Anaheim. Or San Jose. The Oilers top forwards are being asked this season to compete against the top lines in the NHL. It will take time for Hall etal to reach that level. In my opinion they have the right management team in place. Including Klowe to get the job done. Eakins is the right guy. For this team. Sather was not all that and a bag of chips when he started coaching. Who was he? pbody. He hadn't done squat before he took over the Oilers. What was his resume? Ex player kinda like Eakins. Not overly successful. Went into coaching because someone told him he had a knack for motivating players. Eakins is in same position that Sather was all those years ago. Less Wayne Gretzky. he might have a Mark Messier in Hall. Even a Jari Kurri in Yakupov. But for all that he has a very young team on the cusp of something special.

Get on the bus and stay there. Bitch and whine DSF all you like but remember that a lot of us are not drinking the koolaid. But are realists and when it comes to this team there is and will be times when this team will fail to live up to its press. Its to expected. We don't all have to like it. Including you. But this team will get better as it grows and learns under Eakins and his staff.

Avatar
#85 PapaMike
November 21 2013, 08:56AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

The Flames had THREE first round picks last season and all of them are tracking very well.

The Flames have about $30M in cap space next season and I expect they will turn Cammalleri into another first round pick.

The Oilers also have quite a bit of cap space but they have to re-sign Petry, Belov and J. Schultz and have ZERO goaltenders under contract.

The Flames have Brian Burke running the show and the Oilers have Kevin Lowe.

I'll put my cash on the Flames.

Granted I do not know enough about the Flames minor league system, I think that the Oilers have better prospects to make a Bold move before the Flames can. We already know that first rounders can take a while to blossom, so that could put the Flames in a true rebuild like the Oilers are encountering.

I have been wondering about Subban as the Habs seem to be playing hardball with him and if Tinordi makes him available. Would Nurse, Gagner and this years first be adequate for a Norris trophy winner?

Avatar
#86 HardBoiledOil
November 21 2013, 09:03AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

^that's too much, i hope the Oil would pass.

Avatar
#87 sizzay
November 21 2013, 09:20AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
PapaMike wrote:

Granted I do not know enough about the Flames minor league system, I think that the Oilers have better prospects to make a Bold move before the Flames can. We already know that first rounders can take a while to blossom, so that could put the Flames in a true rebuild like the Oilers are encountering.

I have been wondering about Subban as the Habs seem to be playing hardball with him and if Tinordi makes him available. Would Nurse, Gagner and this years first be adequate for a Norris trophy winner?

I'd say normally a 2nd line centre, a top 5 pick and a great prospect could land a good defenseman but Habs have no use for Gagner unfortunately.

Have to look at teams like Nashville, Florida, BUffalo and maybe Phoenix for trade partners to send Gagner off.

Avatar
#88 oilerjed
November 21 2013, 09:24AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
HardBoiledOil wrote:

i'm starting to think that he's not the "Magnificent *astard" we all thought he was.

I'm having a hard time remembering when STU was ever magnificent. He must have the worst drafting record in the league. Along with KLowe, STU should have been axed years ago. This guy has proven over and over again that he cannot accurately assess NHL caliber talent. If he had beter drafting instincts this rebuild could be almost over.

Avatar
#89 pkam
November 21 2013, 09:27AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Cynic wrote:

Zack Kassian will keep hanging around the NHL because of his size but he lacks the skills to be a power forward. The Hodgson trade was only one of Gillis`s mistakes.

I don't think anyone, except some intelligent Canucks fans, can disagree with you.

Avatar
#90 Will
November 21 2013, 10:00AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Ah the enigmatic Russians. There don't seem to be a ton of current examples of Russian NHL players who were drafted, then developed in the KHL only to come over here and light it up. They are either super stars who start in the North American system right away, or they flash in the pan for a while before going back over to the KHL.

Having said that, I did, am, and will continue to enjoy the Belov signing. Every game I watch, he is a bright spot on the ice. Every once in a while he cramps up mentally, but every game he seems to learn the game more and more.

As for our current Russian prospects and Hertikinen, I do hope they can translate their games to the NHL, but they need to show a bit more work, dedication, and commitment to doing so.

Avatar
#91 2004Z06
November 21 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
ShakyDS wrote:

43%

43% is the stat. That's the percentage of comments that are either from DSF or replies to DSF on this article alone. 28/65 43%. Embarrassing.

DSF, you make this site worse not better. Please move on.

So keep feeding the dog everyone. Love how everybody bitches about his comments and then proceeds to post a response to them.

Just ignore it, perhaps it will get bored and go away.

And yes you propping and/or trashing his posts feeds the beast as well.

Avatar
#92 camdog
November 21 2013, 10:09AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Lowetide wrote:

The 2008 draft report card is in, home run with Eberle and a nice pick later in Hartikainen. They had no second or third round pick, but that's not the scouts fault. I'd give it a excellent grade because getting Eberle later in the first round was an outstanding value.

2009 is pretty much in, and it was disappointing. Paajarvi looks like a player, but he's taking longer than expected, and Lander is still trying to make the grade. I'm not certain how much blame to put on the scouts—the team brought Lander to the NHL way too early—but this draft probably gets a failing grade based on picking #10 overall.

2010 has Hall, who I think was the right pick (others believe Seguin is the better player). Marincin looks like he's going to be a player, Pitlick showed a little in his 3 games after not doing much in the minors, and guys like Davidson and Martindale are still trying.

I'd say 2010 is a good draft that could be very good, but they left a lot on the table too.

Thanks for the reply.

In my opinion drafting a Seguin or a Hall is still a win for both clubs. Sure Eberle was a nice pick, but as an Oiler fan it's really hard to evaluate our scouting the past 6 years, because first overall picks are easy to make. The Nurse pick was also a no brainer.

What separates the winning and the successful rebuilds is drafting Lucic's, Keith's and the Zetterberg's in the later rounds. Perpetual rebuilds fail to draft talented hockey players in the later rounds. As it stands I have no idea where the Oilers sit in this respect.

Avatar
#93 camdog
November 21 2013, 10:16AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

So keep feeding the dog everyone. Love how everybody bitches about his comments and then proceeds to post a response to them.

Just ignore it, perhaps it will get bored and go away.

And yes you propping and/or trashing his posts feeds the beast as well.

I have found from other sites I have participated in, that the ones complaining about one poster or another often get bored if that poster leaves the site and then they don't post themselves. Sort of a weird love hate relationship :)

Avatar
#94 Will
November 21 2013, 11:01AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
camdog wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

In my opinion drafting a Seguin or a Hall is still a win for both clubs. Sure Eberle was a nice pick, but as an Oiler fan it's really hard to evaluate our scouting the past 6 years, because first overall picks are easy to make. The Nurse pick was also a no brainer.

What separates the winning and the successful rebuilds is drafting Lucic's, Keith's and the Zetterberg's in the later rounds. Perpetual rebuilds fail to draft talented hockey players in the later rounds. As it stands I have no idea where the Oilers sit in this respect.

Later round picks that turn into super stars are impossible to predict. You can have the best scouting staff in the world, but if you pick these guys and they turn into a Lucic, you essentially won the lottery. If these guys were actually projected by the scouts that picked them to be the players they are, they would all go number one.

There is no such thing as a hockey crystal ball. Lucic is a great example of a plyer that inexplicably had a 32 goal jump from one year to the next. That is unheard of.

As for the way Edmonton has drafted, it was nice to see the team put less priority on the coke machine last year and focus on some solid picks throughout the line up.

I still think Hall over Seguin, because Seguin needs other players around him, and has not been the guy to carry a team.

Avatar
#95 2004Z06
November 21 2013, 11:07AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
camdog wrote:

I have found from other sites I have participated in, that the ones complaining about one poster or another often get bored if that poster leaves the site and then they don't post themselves. Sort of a weird love hate relationship :)

Personally I have no issue with DSF's comments. He doesn't make it personal and while I may not agree with everything he posts, I recognize that I have to choice to scroll right by and on to the next.

As others here have eluded to....Everyone is free to speak their mind and as long as the name calling and personal attacks are eliminated. I have no issues.

Avatar
#96 camdog
November 21 2013, 11:10AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Will wrote:

Later round picks that turn into super stars are impossible to predict. You can have the best scouting staff in the world, but if you pick these guys and they turn into a Lucic, you essentially won the lottery. If these guys were actually projected by the scouts that picked them to be the players they are, they would all go number one.

There is no such thing as a hockey crystal ball. Lucic is a great example of a plyer that inexplicably had a 32 goal jump from one year to the next. That is unheard of.

As for the way Edmonton has drafted, it was nice to see the team put less priority on the coke machine last year and focus on some solid picks throughout the line up.

I still think Hall over Seguin, because Seguin needs other players around him, and has not been the guy to carry a team.

I have a hard time believing that Detroit, Boston and Chicago's success is based on getting lucky. Teams that win Stanley Cups find those guys.

Avatar
#97 HardBoiledOil
November 21 2013, 11:42AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

i dunno, camdog. teams knew about Brandon Saad, but passed on him because of some kind of issues he had, perhaps off ice? now more than a few are regretting that decision. the Hawks did get lucky with Andrew Shaw though. i certainly didn't think he'd be this good, let alone so quickly! Detroit is just a freak show. you can't really compare them to any other franchise. their ability to find quality players in the later rounds is unbelievable!

Avatar
#98 Truth
November 22 2013, 09:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I apologize if this was already mentioned, but Cory Pronman, via Twitter, believes Yakimov may be the 1C for the Russians at the WJC.

Comments are closed for this article.