David Perron: MacTavish’s Masterpiece?

Jonathan Willis
November 24 2013 11:30AM

With the Edmonton Oilers struggling as they are, Craig MacTavish hasn’t exactly been given a free pass by fans in his first full season as general manager. What even his most ardent critics should agree on, though, is that it looks like he fleeced the St. Louis Blues when he pawned off Magnus Paajarvi and a draft pick in exchange for David Perron.

Perron was already a pretty good player when MacTavish added him. But the 25-year-old forward is on pace to exceed his previous career bests – and by a lot.

The Basic Numbers

The chart above shows Perron’s 82-game pace from every season in his career where he played more than 40 games. The only preceding season even close to his early work this year was 2011-12, where Perron rode a high shooting percentage to a 30-goal pace.

The really astonishing item here is Perron’s shot totals. Players don’t typically see huge leaps in shot totals, but Perron is running at more than double his established career rate. What’s going on?

Five-on-five

Numbers for this chart (and the next one) come from ExtraSkater.com and BehindtheNet.ca.

There really isn’t much to see at this level: Perron is a hair below his career goal numbers and a touch above his career assist numbers.

But something interesting happens when we compare Perron’s shot numbers for this season to last season. Perron had 61 shots at five-on-five in 48 games a year ago; this season he has 54 in 20 games. He’s firing the puck roughly twice as often as he has in the past once ice-time is accounted for. His goal totals are only at his career rate because his shooting percentage is half what it was last year at even-strength.

In short: he’s been good so far, but if these shot numbers are for real he’s likely going to be even better at evens in the near future. Which is frightening.

Five-on-four

Perron’s numbers are through the roof here. Some of that may come from playing on a better power play unit – it’s extremely difficult to separate teammate and coaching effects from player talent when looking at special teams numbers – and the assist totals in particular may not be ridiculous.

As for the goal totals? Digging into the shot numbers again, we find that Perron is again firing the puck at roughly twice the rate he did in St. Louis, but this time his shooting percentage is roughly double what it was last season. This to some degree will off-set the expected rise in his five-on-five shooting percentage.

In other words, these numbers are likely going to come down because that spike in shooting percentage probably isn’t sustainable, but even so he’s legitimately on pace for a career-best season.

The Biggest Question

I can’t recall an instance of an experienced NHL forward suddenly doubling his shot rates at the age of 25. One of the reasons people like me prize shot rates so much is because they tend to be pretty stable; players reach an established level of ability and move a bit but the fluctuations are nowhere near as dramatic as shooting percentage is.

I don’t know if Perron can keep up this shooting pace, and I didn’t watch him closely enough in St. Louis to hazard a guess as to what’s changed. One item that stands out – Tyler Dellow brought it to my attention on Twitter last night – is that Perron is getting a higher percentage of his shots through to the net (he has 16 missed shots on 80 shots this year; last year the number was 31 on 84) and that seems like something that probably won’t continue, but it isn’t close to being the whole explanation either.

My gut feeling is that Perron shoots a little less frequently simply because this is so far out of the norm, but at the same time it seems entirely possible to me that this is a breakout campaign and an indication of a more trigger-happy player.

If so, that’s fantastic news for Edmonton. Perron is under contract for two more years at a $3.812 million cap hit; that’s a pretty fair deal for a 50-point guy and a ridiculously good deal for a player who will challenge for 30 goals every year if he keeps shooting like this.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 Canada 72
November 24 2013, 03:45PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I've yet to figure out if MacT is the real deal or not, but the evidence is starting to mount. Remember the quote from MacTavish the day Perron was acquired: "It’ll be a good test for our analytics guys. They have him with some of the game’s elite.” Hard to argue with the analytics guys getting an A on their mid-terms.

MacT also picked up Belov & Gordon and said Arcobello was worthy of a look when not many concurred. Combined with a bullet dodged in the Clarkson sweepstakes (where he had to be in the running or suffer the wrath of the fanbase), he's had a pretty nice start to his GM career.

Ticats win it 34-31. The Greenies successfully kick the tying field goal but are penalized because they have 24 guys on the field. After missing the subsequent kick after the penalty, the fans go beserk and burn down the city.

Onlookers are horrified but are also in general agreement that Regina's never looked better.

Avatar
#52 D-Unit
November 24 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@S cottV

I'm not saying Eakins is without fault for where this team is at, but I am very doubtful many other coaches would have the Oilers in much of a different position. One thing I do fault him for is that he assumed he was dealing with a team who understood the fundamentals of playing NHL Hockey. Any coach coming to a team who has been through as many coaches as the Oil have recently should have picked up on that. Ralph wasn't the guy to be coaching this team either. Let's face it, the only reason he was ever head coach was because Steve T didn't want to do any hard work finding a new coach last year, and didn't want to look like a bad guy.

Avatar
#53 pkam
November 24 2013, 03:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
74
cheers
DSF wrote:

You know the Oilers picked Alex Plante and Riley Nash ahead of Perron, right?

I know, and I also know the head amateur scout Kevin Prendergast for that draft has been replaced.

You know Canucks picked Patrick White just ahead of Perron, right? And you know that the Canucks picked Cody Hodgson ahead of Erik Karlsson and Jordan Eberle, right?

And you know that head amateur scout is still with the Canucks organization, right?

Avatar
#54 Thumby
November 24 2013, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

That's my fear as well. With Belov as he doesn't seem to be interviewed much, it's hard to gauge what his mindset is. He is getting a lot of minutes and seems to have been left to just worry about hockey so that might work in the Oilers favour. He seems like a fairly principled guy, the signing of one year deals to keep his hunger to have to play for a new contract and also keep his options open is different, but kind of refreshing.

I think we are just starting to see him come into his game, he has a surprisingly nasty streak in him which has only just started to come out. This video from the KHL is what happens when you piss him off :-)

Belov reaction

Holy crap that kick was a dangerous thing to do...

Avatar
#55 D-Unit
November 24 2013, 04:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
DSF wrote:

Well, considering he was drafted 26th and by the Blues, while the Oilers had 3 first round picks before that, that would leave only 22 teams who passed.

Some of those were busy picking the likes of Patrick Kane, JVR, Kyle Turris, Karl Alzner, Jakub Voracek, Logan Couture, Lars Eller, Ken Shattenkirk, Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty, so it appears only a few teams missed and only one of them had 3 first round picks.

Why no mention of how the Wild were busy picking Colton Gillies? Really, he had 10 points for the Wild, he turned out great, and was only picked 10 spots ahead of Perron.

Avatar
#56 DSF
November 24 2013, 04:49PM
Trash it!
26
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
pkam wrote:

I know, and I also know the head amateur scout Kevin Prendergast for that draft has been replaced.

You know Canucks picked Patrick White just ahead of Perron, right? And you know that the Canucks picked Cody Hodgson ahead of Erik Karlsson and Jordan Eberle, right?

And you know that head amateur scout is still with the Canucks organization, right?

Yeah their amateur scouting has been a weakness forever although Edler (3rd round) Bieksa (5th round), Hansen (9th round),

Their pro scouting makes up for that pretty well by finding undrafted free agents or useful players on the waiver wire.

Alex Burrows, Chris Tanev and Eddie Lack were undrafted treasures while they've also picked up Chris Higgins, Mike Santorelli, Ryan Stanton and others for peanuts.

Avatar
#57 Spydyr
November 24 2013, 04:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

@DSF

Keep ignoring reality if you like.

At least 10 of those teams drafted better players and only 2 teams in that draft had more than 1 first round pick.

St Louis came away with Lars Eller and David Perron and the Oilers came away with Sam Gagner and a fist full of nothing.

Your hindsight is astonishing.

Avatar
#58 DSF
November 24 2013, 04:53PM
Trash it!
25
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
D-Unit wrote:

Why no mention of how the Wild were busy picking Colton Gillies? Really, he had 10 points for the Wild, he turned out great, and was only picked 10 spots ahead of Perron.

Yeah, he was picked right after the Oilers picked Alex Plante.

Gillies has 157 NHL games to his credit while Plante is getting his head kicked in the Austrian league (24GP 1G 7P -11).

Remember, the Oilers didn't draft David Perron.

Avatar
#59 Darrell
November 24 2013, 04:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
DSF wrote:

Well, considering he was drafted 26th and by the Blues, while the Oilers had 3 first round picks before that, that would leave only 22 teams who passed.

Some of those were busy picking the likes of Patrick Kane, JVR, Kyle Turris, Karl Alzner, Jakub Voracek, Logan Couture, Lars Eller, Ken Shattenkirk, Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty, so it appears only a few teams missed and only one of them had 3 first round picks.

Just curious DSF - do other teams make mistakes in your eye or just the Oilers? It amazes me how you can continually play Monday morning QB ! What amazes me even more is that your allowed to crap on the Oilers on our own site without the admins doing something - lowetide site benefits Wanye - grow a pair !

Avatar
#60 DSF
November 24 2013, 05:10PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Keep ignoring reality if you like.

At least 10 of those teams drafted better players and only 2 teams in that draft had more than 1 first round pick.

St Louis came away with Lars Eller and David Perron and the Oilers came away with Sam Gagner and a fist full of nothing.

Your hindsight is astonishing.

Verifiable facts are verifiable.

The Oilers had 3 shots at hitting pay dirt in what is deemed to be the best draft, perhaps, in NHL history and came away with Sam Gagner.

While only having 2 first round picks and drafting lower than the Oilers, the Blues came away with two very good NHL players.

Avatar
#61 DSF
November 24 2013, 05:13PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Darrell wrote:

Just curious DSF - do other teams make mistakes in your eye or just the Oilers? It amazes me how you can continually play Monday morning QB ! What amazes me even more is that your allowed to crap on the Oilers on our own site without the admins doing something - lowetide site benefits Wanye - grow a pair !

Of course other teams make mistakes.

I'd be more that happy to discuss any team's record in the draft with you.

I amazed that you would take umbrage with any critical analysis of a team that is about to miss the playoffs for the 8th straight season.

That didn't happen accidentally you know.

Avatar
#62 Darrell
November 24 2013, 05:18PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
DSF wrote:

Of course other teams make mistakes.

I'd be more that happy to discuss any team's record in the draft with you.

I amazed that you would take umbrage with any critical analysis of a team that is about to miss the playoffs for the 8th straight season.

That didn't happen accidentally you know.

Why do you login to OilersNation if we suck so bad ? Go find a winning team!

Avatar
#63 pkam
November 24 2013, 05:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers
DSF wrote:

Yeah their amateur scouting has been a weakness forever although Edler (3rd round) Bieksa (5th round), Hansen (9th round),

Their pro scouting makes up for that pretty well by finding undrafted free agents or useful players on the waiver wire.

Alex Burrows, Chris Tanev and Eddie Lack were undrafted treasures while they've also picked up Chris Higgins, Mike Santorelli, Ryan Stanton and others for peanuts.

It is really hard to not recognize the great work of the Canucks' pro scout. Just look at Zack Kassian, Keith Ballard and David Booth.

Avatar
#64 OILERSORDEATH
November 24 2013, 05:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

@DSF

Wow yeah such gems, wonder why such an offensive juggernaut can just yet again score 1 goal in a game. Top notch drafting, really Impressive.

Avatar
#65 OILERSORDEATH
November 24 2013, 05:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
OILERSORDEATH wrote:

Wow yeah such gems, wonder why such an offensive juggernaut can just yet again score 1 goal in a game. Top notch drafting, really Impressive.

In regards to Vancouver's drafting

Avatar
#66 Rocket
November 24 2013, 05:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Does anyone here watch St. Louis games a lot? I'd like to know how Paajarvi is doing from someone who actually watches Blues games.

His stats are not great but I don't know exactly why? He's a smart defensive forward so I would have thought he would fit in with a Hitchcock style of play.

I'm glad The Oilers got Perron though and I would make that trade again in a second but I always kinda liked Paajarvi and wouldn't mind seeing him do well.

Avatar
#67 Fresh Mess
November 24 2013, 05:30PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Rocket wrote:

What about Grebeshkov?

I mostly agree with you though. MacT (so far) has been better than Tambellini.

But still, Grebeshkov? What was MacT thinking?

Grebeshkov and Smid were horrendous moves.

Avatar
#68 DSF
November 24 2013, 05:32PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
OILERSORDEATH wrote:

Wow yeah such gems, wonder why such an offensive juggernaut can just yet again score 1 goal in a game. Top notch drafting, really Impressive.

Vancouver's drafting is among the worst in the league...has been for years.

Their lack of scoring this year is a bit of a head scratcher since they have some of the best possession numbers in the league.

http://www.extraskater.com/teams/on-ice?type=total&sort=corsi_pct

That their PP is also tied for 29th best is also a big issue for them.

Avatar
#69 DSF
November 24 2013, 05:37PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Rocket wrote:

Does anyone here watch St. Louis games a lot? I'd like to know how Paajarvi is doing from someone who actually watches Blues games.

His stats are not great but I don't know exactly why? He's a smart defensive forward so I would have thought he would fit in with a Hitchcock style of play.

I'm glad The Oilers got Perron though and I would make that trade again in a second but I always kinda liked Paajarvi and wouldn't mind seeing him do well.

I've watched a few STL games and Paajarvi is pretty much the same perimeter player you saw in Edmonton.

In 7 games played he's only registered 3 SOG (although 1 of them went in).

At that rate, he would only have 35 SOG over an 82 game season which, at his career shooting percentage, would give him only 2-3 goals.

Unless he can transform his game somehow, I think him returning to Sweden is a pretty good bet.

Avatar
#70 A-Mc
November 24 2013, 05:39PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

David, if it's so simple why doesn't it happen more often?

I've looked over the 15 years of data the NHL has, and as far as I can tell no other player has seen this kind of jump in his shots totals at this age .

If it were just a matter of a conversation in training camp, you'd think we'd see this more often, no? After all, Dallas Eakins isn't exactly the only coach in the NHL who wants his players to shoot more.

I'm not sure what you do for work, David, but do you have a conversation with your boss and then decide to be twice as productive as you have ever been in your life? Is it really that easy?

Your view seems like a gross oversimplification, something that you're relying on because it's a hell of a lot easier to say 'oh, he just decided to be twice as good' when someone asks 'what happened' than it is to try and answer the question in any kind of meaningful way.

Actually this happens all the time in the work place but it's staged a little different.

People can only do so much, but if given the green light, they can focus on one aspect of their job to exceedingly increase production in that category.

In Perron's case, the oilers may have given him the green light to focus on a few things that he wasn't allowed the freedom to do in STL.

He isn't taking his normal work accomplishments and then doubling them, because that would likely be impossible. He's more than likely taking FROM one aspect of his game and refocusing in another. Because the refocus has been offense and offense is king, we notice it more.

A poster earlier talked about systems *heavily Defensive) and another posted about possession. Maybe these are aspects that have suffered to make his Off. So much better.

Just a thought.

Avatar
#71 DSF
November 24 2013, 05:40PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
pkam wrote:

It is really hard to not recognize the great work of the Canucks' pro scout. Just look at Zack Kassian, Keith Ballard and David Booth.

Oh, like all teams, they make mistakes but there is a reason they've made the playoffs for 7 years in a row. (might not this season).

To what do you attribute their ongoing success?

Avatar
#72 Darrell
November 24 2013, 05:53PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Oh, like all teams, they make mistakes but there is a reason they've made the playoffs for 7 years in a row. (might not this season).

To what do you attribute their ongoing success?

I am an Atlanta Braves fan - making the playoffs is not enough anymore when you continually find a way to screw it up. The beauty is at least the Brave won once while the Canucks continue to disappoint.

Avatar
#73 DSF
November 24 2013, 05:57PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Darrell wrote:

I am an Atlanta Braves fan - making the playoffs is not enough anymore when you continually find a way to screw it up. The beauty is at least the Brave won once while the Canucks continue to disappoint.

Making the playoffs is certainly not the ultimate goal but it sure beats the alternative.

Avatar
#74 Darrell
November 24 2013, 06:04PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Making the playoffs is certainly not the ultimate goal but it sure beats the alternative.

Agreed - the problem is that a good regular season means nothing if you lose in the first round every year. We would kill for a first round exit around here but drafting first is a pretty close second choice IMO as being Vancouver fan has to suck pretty bad too.

Avatar
#75 DSF
November 24 2013, 06:11PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Darrell wrote:

Agreed - the problem is that a good regular season means nothing if you lose in the first round every year. We would kill for a first round exit around here but drafting first is a pretty close second choice IMO as being Vancouver fan has to suck pretty bad too.

Well, Vancouver did go to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals 3 years ago.

Drafting, badly, hardly compensates.

Avatar
#76 acg5151
November 24 2013, 06:14PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I wasn't at all surprised by Perron. That dude killed me on NHL 11 and it seems like every time I watched a Blues game he did something to be noticeable which is more than most players on the Blues.

How do fans watch the Blues? I swear that they are one of the most boring teams to watch. That series from a couple years ago with the San Jose Sharks made my eyes bleed.

Also, you can't really cherry pick drafts. Each team makes mistakes and has missed a guy. Pretty much every team in 07 passed on PK Subban. And DSF, this is the first I've heard that the 07 draft is one of the deepest ever. The fact is that had the Oilers drafted Perron, he may not have turned out the way he did.

Also from the 07 draft - every single team in the league passed on Jamie Benn multiple times as he was drafted in the 5th round. The Oilers aren't the only team.

The LA Kings drafted Thomas Hickey 4th overall in 07. He played 0 games for the Kings before the Islanders picked him up on waivers. Despite this the Kings won a cup. Boston drafted Zach Hamill 8th. They still won a cup. Florida drafted Keaton Ellerby two spots ahead of Ryan McDonagh. How embarrassing is that?

So no, the Oilers aren't an abnormal team at drafting, a lot of teams make mistakes.

Avatar
#77 Darrell
November 24 2013, 06:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
DSF wrote:

Well, Vancouver did go to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals 3 years ago.

Drafting, badly, hardly compensates.

Vancouver 3, Oilers 7 and Calgary went 8 years ago with no sign of life for any of the franchises. I will take the draft picks at this point but you're right enough is enough. Why not use some of that knowledge to support the Oilers as it would be freshing for once ...

Avatar
#78 DSF
November 24 2013, 06:35PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
acg5151 wrote:

I wasn't at all surprised by Perron. That dude killed me on NHL 11 and it seems like every time I watched a Blues game he did something to be noticeable which is more than most players on the Blues.

How do fans watch the Blues? I swear that they are one of the most boring teams to watch. That series from a couple years ago with the San Jose Sharks made my eyes bleed.

Also, you can't really cherry pick drafts. Each team makes mistakes and has missed a guy. Pretty much every team in 07 passed on PK Subban. And DSF, this is the first I've heard that the 07 draft is one of the deepest ever. The fact is that had the Oilers drafted Perron, he may not have turned out the way he did.

Also from the 07 draft - every single team in the league passed on Jamie Benn multiple times as he was drafted in the 5th round. The Oilers aren't the only team.

The LA Kings drafted Thomas Hickey 4th overall in 07. He played 0 games for the Kings before the Islanders picked him up on waivers. Despite this the Kings won a cup. Boston drafted Zach Hamill 8th. They still won a cup. Florida drafted Keaton Ellerby two spots ahead of Ryan McDonagh. How embarrassing is that?

So no, the Oilers aren't an abnormal team at drafting, a lot of teams make mistakes.

Dissing the Kings drafting is not the best strategy.

The number of players they've found in later rounds is phenomenal.

From the 2007 draft alone:

Thomas Hickey

Wayne Simmonds

Alec Martinez

Dwight King

Avatar
#79 speeds
November 24 2013, 06:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

At the time, I wasn't a big fan of the trade - I thought EDM overpaid in adding a 2nd to the deal. Not saying I thought it was a massive overpayment, but a bit of an overpayment nonetheless. Looks like I was wrong at this point, but the concerns I had - Paajarvi was cheaper, under team control for longer, and less perceived injury concern - haven't gone away after 24 games. Perron has been a better player than I was expecting, but I think this article shows he's been a better player than anyone could reasonably have expected, with the possible exception of MacT and his staff since they traded for him - not unreasonable to think they thought there was untapped potential in Perron.

Avatar
#80 acg5151
November 24 2013, 06:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@DSF

My point - even the best drafting teams make mistakes.

Avatar
#81 DSF
November 24 2013, 06:46PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
acg5151 wrote:

My point - even the best drafting teams make mistakes.

No argument from me.

But the Oilers are far from being one of the best drafting teams.

Avatar
#82 bulldog12
November 24 2013, 06:56PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Negative negative negative You guys are really getting tiring Try coming up with something positive or remotely intelligent.

Avatar
#83 pkam
November 24 2013, 07:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
DSF wrote:

Oh, like all teams, they make mistakes but there is a reason they've made the playoffs for 7 years in a row. (might not this season).

To what do you attribute their ongoing success?

4th overall in 1998 then 2nd and 3rd overall in 1999, and finally after almost 10 years.

Base on this precedence, the Oilers will make the playoff 7 years in a row in around 2017 - 2024.

Avatar
#84 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 07:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
bulldog12 wrote:

Negative negative negative You guys are really getting tiring Try coming up with something positive or remotely intelligent.

Perron looks crazy psychotic in that picture. Depending on your perspective that can be quite positive.

Avatar
#85 pkam
November 24 2013, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@JW

How about Gordon? How is his projected number this year compare to his career average and career high?

I think so far he is very impressive too.

Avatar
#86 DSF
November 24 2013, 07:09PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
bulldog12 wrote:

Negative negative negative You guys are really getting tiring Try coming up with something positive or remotely intelligent.

Here's an idea...

Post something positive about a team that has missed the playoffs 8 years in a row....

That doesn't have a player in the top 30 in scoring despite drafting in the top 10 year after year.

That has below average goaltending....

That has close to the worst centre depth in the league....

That has ZERO top pairing D...

Go!

Avatar
#87 Mikey
November 24 2013, 07:21PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
DSF wrote:

Here's an idea...

Post something positive about a team that has missed the playoffs 8 years in a row....

That doesn't have a player in the top 30 in scoring despite drafting in the top 10 year after year.

That has below average goaltending....

That has close to the worst centre depth in the league....

That has ZERO top pairing D...

Go!

They have won three in a row.

Avatar
#88 Darrell
November 24 2013, 07:22PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
DSF wrote:

Here's an idea...

Post something positive about a team that has missed the playoffs 8 years in a row....

That doesn't have a player in the top 30 in scoring despite drafting in the top 10 year after year.

That has below average goaltending....

That has close to the worst centre depth in the league....

That has ZERO top pairing D...

Go!

We are Oiler fans on Oilersnation and belong here - done! What are you ? Let me give it a shot; you are a Bully looking for attention because no one has ever kicked your ass for it and its impossible in cyberspace where your safe ? its easy continually picking on a last place team just like the small kid at the park like people like you get off on. Go pick on someone else as we have enough to deal with around here without you calling us on it. How was that for a kick at the cat for calling your BS old man ?

Avatar
#89 Mikey
November 24 2013, 07:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
DSF wrote:

Here's an idea...

Post something positive about a team that has missed the playoffs 8 years in a row....

That doesn't have a player in the top 30 in scoring despite drafting in the top 10 year after year.

That has below average goaltending....

That has close to the worst centre depth in the league....

That has ZERO top pairing D...

Go!

Regarding no player in top 30 for scoring. Neither does PHX, COL, BOS, TO, MON, NYR. Which are playoff teams. I never did check non playoff teams.

Avatar
#90 Rocket
November 24 2013, 07:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Mikey

Sweet optimism! I wish I could stay that positive about this team. Keep up the good work.

Avatar
#91 pkam
November 24 2013, 07:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Making the playoffs is certainly not the ultimate goal but it sure beats the alternative.

The fact is, Red Wings only made the playoff twice in 16 years (from 1966-67 to 1982-83) and nobody is talking about it. Everyone is talking about their 2 cups in the last 10 years, or their 4 cups in the last 20 years.

Also, nobody is talking about the Canucks 7 years playoff streak, but everyone is talking about their 43 year cupless streak.

The only exception is Canucks fans.

Avatar
#92 DSF
November 24 2013, 07:35PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Everyone is talking about their 2 cups in the last 10 years, or their 4 cups in the last 20 years.

Once the Oilers do that, we'll talk about it...I promise.

Avatar
#93 pkam
November 24 2013, 07:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Everyone is talking about their 2 cups in the last 10 years, or their 4 cups in the last 20 years.

Once the Oilers do that, we'll talk about it...I promise.

We didn't have a cup in the last 20 years, or 23 years to be exact. But nowhere near 43 years. Not something to be proud of for sure. However, some fans are so proud of their 7 year playoff streak despite being cupless for 43 years.

Avatar
#94 Nimrod
November 24 2013, 07:51PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Perron has been a pleasant surprise, but his offensive numbers will probably come down. I suspect Eakins likes him because unlike many of the other top six forwards there is some sandpaper to his game, even if he's not the biggest guy.

Avatar
#95 bulldog12
November 24 2013, 08:08PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

Who's this DSF guy? He's an idiot and to respond to him is a waste of time, space and lowers yourself to his intellect.

Avatar
#96 Slyers
November 24 2013, 08:35PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
DSF wrote:

Keep ignoring reality if you like.

At least 10 of those teams drafted better players and only 2 teams in that draft had more than 1 first round pick.

St Louis came away with Lars Eller and David Perron and the Oilers came away with Sam Gagner and a fist full of nothing.

As usual you use skewed results, 4 of the names you mentioned were drafted before the oilers first pick. You realize you are the joke of this site, with zero credibility.

It's sad really because this was NOT a good draft for Oilers, yet you still feel the need to distort the facts...... WOW you really just can't help your self PATHETIC !

Avatar
#97 dobiezeke
November 24 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@DSF

Both have put up exactly the same amount of Stanley Cup banners in the rafters.

No one remembers the "first loser"...

Avatar
#98 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Wow. This thread is totally derailed.

Mr DSF ,

Can you agree on the 2 main points from Willis' article ? 1 Mac T fleeced St. Louis on the deal sending out Paajarvi and getting Perron. 2 Perron is having a career year offensively.

I'm fairly confident even the most jaded fan such as yourself will agree with these 2 points.

Avatar
#99 Larry
November 24 2013, 10:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
bulldog12 wrote:

Who's this DSF guy? He's an idiot and to respond to him is a waste of time, space and lowers yourself to his intellect.

He's an employee of Oiler Nation to keep things interesting. But, yes, I agree, let's ignore him.

Avatar
#100 OilFanInVan
November 24 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Larry

You nailed it Larry. Paid trolls are here to keep more and more posts happening and thus keep the only revenue a site like this can generate (advertising) coming. Advertisers only pay for page views and comments... This happens on almost every large advertising only revenue based website.

Comments are closed for this article.