MR. MACGREGOR'S PICKS

Lowetide
November 24 2013 07:39AM

Stu MacGregor's time as the scouting director for the Edmonton Oilers is now 6 summers deep, and we're getting a nice idea about where his team is getting value. Here's a look—by season—at the best draft picks by MBS outside the first round.

2008: TEEMU HARTIKAINEN

After hitting a home run in the first round (Jordan Eberle, 22nd overall) the Oilers didn't have a second or a third round selection. In the sixth round the club found big Teemu Hartikainen, who has played in 52 NHL games (and is currently having a nice season in the KHL). Oilers retain his rights, it is unknown when he'll return. Hartikainen certainly covered the draft bet placed on his with 2/3's of an NHL season.

2009: ANTON LANDER

Lander's basically the only player left from the 2009 entry draft (second round, 40th overall), and is having a solid year in Oklahoma City. Lander has played in 68 NHL games, but those came when he was unready and have given him the reputation of being a poor NHL option. His progress in the AHL has been impressive, and there's a good chance he will carve out an NHL career.

2010: MARTIN MARINCIN

Marincin was selected 46th overall (second round) in a cluster of picks (4 in 30 selections) during the 2010 entry draft. Although he hasn't yet played in the NHL, Marincin's progress at the pro level has been impressive and he is likely to make his NHL debut in 2014.

2011:DILLON SIMPSON

The day Simpson was drafted, the scouting reports talked about skating and strength issues. Since then, Simpson has worked very hard to improve in all areas and at this point it's anyone guess as to where he'll land on the pro depth chart when he finally signs in 2014. The Oilers are suddenly deep on the back line, but Simpson's range of skills make him a player of some note.

Tobias Rieder and Martin Gernat are also developing well from this draft.

2012: JUJHAR KHAIRA

The 2012 draft has some nice things tracking, but it's early. Jujhar Khaira has followed up his strong NCAA season at Michigan Tech a year ago with solid two-way work in the WHL. Khaira is not a feature offensive player for Everett, and he has been injured, but there's no doubt his size, speed and skill have him heading in a good direction.

Mitchell Moroz and John McCarron are also players of interest from this draft.

It's too soon to tell for 2013, with Marco Roy, Bogdan Yakimov and Greg Chase all in the running. But, it's early.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Patience is required when it comes to prospect development, and defenseman take time. The Oilers talent pipeline should be sending some impressive talent to the NHL starting later this season, and the Oilers may be able to turn a few trades their way with the addition of one or more of these young prospects.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on TSN 1260.
Avatar
#1 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 07:53AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Still waiting for a homerun from a late round draft pick. I think that is necessary for this team to turn the corner and for the Scouts to be deemed truly successful.

Avatar
#3 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
November 24 2013, 08:02AM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

This guy truly is

a Magnificent Bastard.

Pick another Gem.

Avatar
#4 dawgtoy
November 24 2013, 08:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers

It's just too bad the cupboards were left bare by previous incompetence.

Avatar
#5 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 08:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Anyone who becomes a significant contributor to the team who is picked outside the first round.

I'll do a quick and dirty study and tell you how many guys on the roster are drafted by that team outside of the first round by that team for the teams in first place in all the divisions.

Avatar
#6 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 24 2013, 08:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

@Lowetide

Greg Chase, hopefully.

Avatar
#7 719
November 24 2013, 08:25AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

John McCarron could be a very good pick.

I am surprised from 2010 that Pitlick is not given an honourable mention. Seems like someone who is progressing well, and looked decent in his callup before injury.

I believe they say that if you find 2 players from a draft class that it is a very good draft. So far it seems like Mr. MacGregor is on track to cover that bet, but time will tell.

Avatar
#9 michael
November 24 2013, 08:39AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Greg Chase, hopefully.

This guy plays like a pitbull. Fiercely competitive. 6th round pick? Would have taken him in the 4th round. Upside is huge as the Oilers are looking for his type of skill set as a third line player. A player to watch imo.

Avatar
#10 michael
November 24 2013, 08:43AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Lowetide wrote:

So, Jeff Petry would qualify? Second round pick?

I think Petry needs to be more aggressive in terms of offense. Fedun and Larsen have shown more ability then Petry has imo. Petry has shown at times how much more growth he needs. Needs to be more physical. For me Petry fills a 3-4 role until he develops more of the offensive game we all know he has in his skill set.Till then....

Avatar
#11 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 08:46AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

Boston

Milan Lucic Rnd 2 David Krecji Rnd 2 Patrice Bergeron Rnd 2 Brad Marchand Rnd 3

Pittsburgh

Kris Letang Rnd 3 Rob Scuderi Rnd 5 Dustin Jeffery Rnd 6 Robert Burtuzzo Rnd 3

Chicago

Duncan Keith Rnd 2 Brandon Saad Rnd 2 Andrew Shaw Rnd 5 Brandon Pirri Rnd 2 Marcus Kruger Rnd 5 Niklas Hjarlmarsson Rnd 4 Ben Smith Rnd 6 Brian Bickell Rnd 2

Anaheim

Devante smith-Pelly Rnd 2 Sami Vatanen Rnd 4

What shocked me was how many players on these first overall teams in the standings came from outside the first round. Does this speak to getting players outside the first round as these are the guys who are making to the NHL on a combination of hard work and skill instead of skill and entitlement.

Avatar
#12 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 08:47AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I agree about Petry, but was Petry drafted by Stu?

Avatar
#13 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 08:51AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Jeff Petry is the only late round player drafted by the Oilers who made their team. This means we got some possible problems:

1. scouting 2. player development 3. professional scouting

Avatar
#14 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 24 2013, 08:53AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@Stack Pad Save

I'd say all three of those are problematic for the Oilers.

EDIT: Well, with the addition of Perron and Gordon, the pro scouting seems to be getting better. Being a pro scout is the dream job...

Avatar
#16 Slats
November 24 2013, 08:59AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Stack Pad Save wrote:

Boston

Milan Lucic Rnd 2 David Krecji Rnd 2 Patrice Bergeron Rnd 2 Brad Marchand Rnd 3

Pittsburgh

Kris Letang Rnd 3 Rob Scuderi Rnd 5 Dustin Jeffery Rnd 6 Robert Burtuzzo Rnd 3

Chicago

Duncan Keith Rnd 2 Brandon Saad Rnd 2 Andrew Shaw Rnd 5 Brandon Pirri Rnd 2 Marcus Kruger Rnd 5 Niklas Hjarlmarsson Rnd 4 Ben Smith Rnd 6 Brian Bickell Rnd 2

Anaheim

Devante smith-Pelly Rnd 2 Sami Vatanen Rnd 4

What shocked me was how many players on these first overall teams in the standings came from outside the first round. Does this speak to getting players outside the first round as these are the guys who are making to the NHL on a combination of hard work and skill instead of skill and entitlement.

I believe your sample includes the premiere picks that have panned out - maybe peruse to NYI, Florida, Carolina etc

Bottom line is MacG has done well - solid base and future is good. Just don't squander this work in poor trades going forward.

Avatar
#17 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 09:27AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Drafting is incredibly hard to critic as it takes so long to know the real results.

In 2011 Stu looked like a genius, almost everyone of his picks from the 2010 draft were trending up at a alarming rate. Only to U-turn and crash like a stock market price chart in 2012.

Now 3 and a half years later aside from Hall who will have a great career it looks like Marincin and even Pitlick are very close to being locks for playing at least one season in the NHL. Also Bunz is playing very good again after looking like a complete wash last year.

Drafting and Development are getting much better with this club, Finally! I 'm thinking that when all is said and done Stu will have one ace and 2 Jacks from the 2010 draft year, very respectable...on par with the best.

Avatar
#18 Smokey
November 24 2013, 09:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Where do you think Rajala, Pelss, Reider would rank. Still trying to comprehend sending away Rajala and Reider.

If you were slotting in Simpson into the defensive prospects where we would he rank. People on here were concerned we'd get Schultz'd or Knight'd. Not sure what type of calliber of prospect he really is. Is he a Petry or Chorney?

Also wasn't Petry from the Prentergast era. KP maybe did not have a large volume of players come from the later picks, however some of those players were quality like Stoll.

I'm hoping Moroz, Pitlick, JarJar, Lander, Chase are those heart and soul gritty role player we covet. I think the failure of Tambo and not so Magnificient BSM has been guys like Hamilton, Martindale who we thought were steals have not panned out. Obviously the package of size and skill looked like it would translate into he pro game but both have been plagued by injury, inconsistancy, and little compete.

The impact prospects I think we will see in the next year are Doc, Bomb, Marincin, Lander, Pitlick, Fedun. Its nice to see players ready to contribute. Our casino mob boss down in OKC done a good job. Guy deserves a role in Edmonton next year. I think Reider and Rajala would be on the list too.

Avatar
#20 Oiler Al
November 24 2013, 09:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
michael wrote:

I think Petry needs to be more aggressive in terms of offense. Fedun and Larsen have shown more ability then Petry has imo. Petry has shown at times how much more growth he needs. Needs to be more physical. For me Petry fills a 3-4 role until he develops more of the offensive game we all know he has in his skill set.Till then....

What you are saying you would play Larsen and Fedun ahead of Petry.

I agree ¨Petry for his size could use a little more jam., but that's never been his style.

Larsen, his skating and puck movement style reminds me of Duncan Keith, his play in his own end reminds of Justin Schultz.. not good.

Avatar
#21 Todd
November 24 2013, 09:35AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Slats wrote:

I believe your sample includes the premiere picks that have panned out - maybe peruse to NYI, Florida, Carolina etc

Bottom line is MacG has done well - solid base and future is good. Just don't squander this work in poor trades going forward.

His point was that if your late round picks don't pan out you become NYI, Flordia, Carolina etc.

You just made the point! Good teams (Chicago, Pitt, Boston) have key contributors drafted from later rounds.

Personally I think MacG has been highly overated. I see a whole lot of flops and outside of Eberle no homeruns.

I get being patient as Lowetide pointed out...

BUT - 2009 looks like a complete bust IMO. Pajarvi @ 10?? Lucky MacT flipped him into Perron. Then all we got was Lander, a guy you HOPE might play on the 4th line. Maybe.... That doesn't sound like championship drafting to me.

Avatar
#22 Really
November 24 2013, 09:45AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Sorry. Anyone else notice this team is still last in the west??? And yet this is another blog looking (and in my opinion, stretching the facts) at a slight bright spot of this team.

The reality is the team drafts ok. The development has been horrible. Was Petry really the last last guy edmonton drafted and developed out side of the first rounders?

Stacked Pad's you are right with your analysis. Those teams you listed are what a winning teams drafting and development looks like. What lowetide showed here would be what a loosing teams drafting and development looks like, so why this loosing team is deserving of anything that resembles a congratulations on a job well done???

Avatar
#23 Walter Sobchak
November 24 2013, 09:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

It's a shame the Oilers had no depth on the NHL team and the AHL was nonexistent at the time of the rebuild.

Everyone talks about our young kids being thrown into the deep end but it was that way on the farm as well.

Being young and thrown into any pro league without proper guidance and mentorship is a disaster waiting to happen.

I often wonder if Lander- Paajarvi - Omark - Pitlick - Marincin would have been farther along had the Oilers had the right mix of veterans and rookies, seems like from 2009 onward there were only kids and not much else.

Avatar
#24 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 09:50AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Todd

IMO 2009 was a complete bust of a draft year for the league entirely. Outside of the top 7 real impact players are few and far between. I know there are good players to come out of this draft year but I am curious the the number of players to make the NHL in 2009 years draft compared to other years.

Could just be my perception, but 2009 just seemed weaker for talent in comparison.

Avatar
#25 Really
November 24 2013, 10:00AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

IMO 2009 was a complete bust of a draft year for the league entirely. Outside of the top 7 real impact players are few and far between. I know there are good players to come out of this draft year but I am curious the the number of players to make the NHL in 2009 years draft compared to other years.

Could just be my perception, but 2009 just seemed weaker for talent in comparison.

I see at least 5 NHL regulars from the second round. That's not bad. Sounds more like you are making excuses for oilers poor drafting and development.

Avatar
#26 Todd
November 24 2013, 10:01AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

IMO 2009 was a complete bust of a draft year for the league entirely. Outside of the top 7 real impact players are few and far between. I know there are good players to come out of this draft year but I am curious the the number of players to make the NHL in 2009 years draft compared to other years.

Could just be my perception, but 2009 just seemed weaker for talent in comparison.

Fair enough... But its just another excuse.

I'm tired of excuses.

Everyone has this false perception of MacG. That he has done some great stuff. He drafted Eberele. Good for him. He draft a bunch of 1st overalls.

Then he drafted Kevin Lowe's buddies sons (Simpson, Musil). Brandon Saad or your buddy Musil's kid... Who would you take?

I'm tired of people apologizing for this team and its incompetence in every single way.

** Quit comparing our drafting to Florida/Carolina and saying its "not bad because we got Lander - who might possibly, if the stars align properly turn into a 5 minute per night 4th line plug".

When will we start to expect Chicago style drafting. Get some solid top 4 or dare I even say top 2 D men from the late rounds.... GASP! I know, its crazy to expect. But its what cup winners do.

Enough praising MacG for not doing OK. When is OK or "Not that bad" become a good thing around here...

Avatar
#27 Really
November 24 2013, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Todd wrote:

His point was that if your late round picks don't pan out you become NYI, Flordia, Carolina etc.

You just made the point! Good teams (Chicago, Pitt, Boston) have key contributors drafted from later rounds.

Personally I think MacG has been highly overated. I see a whole lot of flops and outside of Eberle no homeruns.

I get being patient as Lowetide pointed out...

BUT - 2009 looks like a complete bust IMO. Pajarvi @ 10?? Lucky MacT flipped him into Perron. Then all we got was Lander, a guy you HOPE might play on the 4th line. Maybe.... That doesn't sound like championship drafting to me.

Although I suspect macG is slightly overrated, I wonder more about this teams ability to develop these picks. IMO the way these guys are developed is much more of an issue then who the are drafting.

Avatar
#28 Richter
November 24 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Rieder was a real PLAYER and the Oilers practically just gave him away. I don't care if he was another small, skilled forward. That trade may very well come back to bite us.

Avatar
#29 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Slats

I picked the premier teams as I want the Oilers to be like the premier teams.

Avatar
#30 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Really wrote:

I see at least 5 NHL regulars from the second round. That's not bad. Sounds more like you are making excuses for oilers poor drafting and development.

Oh don't get me wrong. The oilers were brutal in both drafting and development. I just think that 2010 is the year that all changed. Only time will tell though.

Im not making excuses for the oilers bad draft selections. Im just pointing out that 2009 was a bust for many teams.

Avatar
#31 Really
November 24 2013, 10:17AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong. The oilers were brutal in both drafting and development. I just think that 2010 is the year that all changed. Only time will tell though.

Im not making excuses for the oilers bad draft selections. Im just pointing out that 2009 was a bust for many teams.

I can respect that but until some other the none first rounders, start playing regularly, neither the drafting or development deserve and props. At this point in time they have been failures, other wise we would see a player or 2, with a name like Pitlick or Lander, playing more then 10 minutes a night Regularly in the NHL.

That is what drafting and development success is. Not being bad enough to constantly get high first round picks.

Avatar
#32 Kevin
November 24 2013, 10:18AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Based on recent history I would say generally F for fail when it comes to drafting beyond the 1st round. Maggie the Monkey could have drafted for the Oilers in the 1st round for the last say decade. Its what has come out of later rounds is the real question. Not much to speak of to be honest. How the hell does Jamie Benn get over looked 4 rounds in his draft year. What about San Jose sharks- they have 8 players in their current line up drafted outside the first round. Sorry folks but you can twist it however you like to accept the current scouting staff but its just not good enough when considering Oiler draft position over the last decade. Where are the role players like Avs Jamie Mcginn and actually a sharks 2nd round pick. If Oil brass was so smart, go out and pluck some of the Sharks scouting talent. Their salaries are not included in the cap. Absolutely no excuse for being toilet bowl contenders year after year.

Avatar
#33 Stack Pad Save
November 24 2013, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Lowetide

I appreciate the update on the prospects though. It gives us something called hope in the midst of another poor season. It is nice to see we have some prospects tracking nicely and we are on a 3 game winning streak!

Avatar
#34 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 10:21AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I think the love for Macgreggor comes from the last years of KP. 2007 3 first round selections ...Gagner, Plante, Riley Nash. THAT is totally incompetent drafting, and much worse than Stu has ever done.

Everyone talks about how easy it is to draft in the first round, well 2007 shows that it can be effed up in a big way very easily. KP's drafting in that year highly contributed to the need for the rebuild.

I don't know if Stu is as good as I think he is, but he is worlds better than we have had here.

EDIT: KP messed up many first round selections....oilers had abysmal drafting for a long time, remember Pouliot, Ninnimaki (worst first round selection ever)

Avatar
#35 DSF
November 24 2013, 10:26AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

IMO 2009 was a complete bust of a draft year for the league entirely. Outside of the top 7 real impact players are few and far between. I know there are good players to come out of this draft year but I am curious the the number of players to make the NHL in 2009 years draft compared to other years.

Could just be my perception, but 2009 just seemed weaker for talent in comparison.

I'm not sure 2009 was as weak as you might think.

There's a bunch of players from later rounds already in the league and more just making their debut.

Ryan O'Reilly - 2nd

Kyle Clifford - 2nd

Alex Chissaon - 2nd

Jakob Silvferberg -2nd

Drew Shore - 2nd

Robin Lehner - 2nd

Richard Panik - 2nd

Brandon Pirri - 2nd

Tomas Tatar - 2nd

And, a smattering of 3rd, 4th, 5th and even 6th round picks who look like they'll make it.

Reilly Smith

Alex Urbom

Cody Eakin

Casey Cizikas

David Savard

Craig Smith

Marcus Foligno

Linden Vey

Marcus Kruger

Jordan Nolan 7th round.

So far, according to Hockey DB, 40 percent of that draft has played in the NHL.

That the Oilers essentially got one NHL player of marginal value (Paajarvi was a healthy scratch again last night) and a "maybe" 4th line player out of that draft is certainly a concern when you consider how high they were drafting.

Avatar
#36 Butters
November 24 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I've gone snowblind.

Avatar
#37 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 10:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@DSF

A couple base hits...but no real home runs. I don't know there just doesn't seem to be the Jam in the later rounds compared to other years. But with this draft same as others time will tell.

Like I said It's just my perspective and I could very well be wrong. Where's the Subban's Simmonds or Keiths?

I am high on Clifford and Shore though

Avatar
#38 Loweblows
November 24 2013, 10:37AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I see the 4th line is unchanged for tomorrow's game against Chicago- I guess our rookie coach prefers the 4th line being a non-factor- makes me puke actually seeing acton in and Arco out- nepotism found only in oilerville!

Avatar
#39 Loweblows
November 24 2013, 10:37AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I see the 4th line is unchanged for tomorrow's game against Chicago- I guess our rookie coach prefers the 4th line being a non-factor- makes me puke actually seeing acton in and Arco out- nepotism found only in oilerville!

Avatar
#40 DSF
November 24 2013, 10:38AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

A couple base hits...but no real home runs. I don't know there just doesn't seem to be the Jam in the later rounds compared to other years. But with this draft same as others time will tell.

Like I said It's just my perspective and I could very well be wrong. Where's the Subban's Simmonds or Keiths?

I am high on Clifford and Shore though

Ryan O'Reilly, Jakob Silvferberg, Robin Lehner and Tomas Tatar are tracking very, very well.

Avatar
#41 Butters
November 24 2013, 10:40AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I find Oiler drafting to be somewhat underwhelming. And if they ever get any good, they are going to need the later round homeruns to stay competitive. Moreover, any first round gaffes from here on in are going to hurt bad.

Avatar
#42 non descript
November 24 2013, 10:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

defend the oilers drafting all you want. the bottom line is it has been bad. the musil pick defies logic. i am no scout and i could see he doesnt skate well enough to play. saad, boone jenner and john gibson were right there. ridiculous.

Avatar
#43 Todd
November 24 2013, 10:55AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

WARNING: Get ready for this thread to be ruined by DSF's arbitrary, completely random, asshat,revisionist and completely selective draft talk.

Draft talk is the DSF sweet spot for trolling. He can go back over years of data and spot all the players we missed. Completely ignoring the fact that 30 other teams also missed them. Even the team that drafted a star in the 6th round would have drafted them higher in highsight.

I hate revisionist draft comparisons. Its a fools errand. But this is DSFs bread and butter.

** This thread is over. All logic is gone, you should all just LOG OFF NOW!!! Or risk being very annoyed by a series of stupid, ridiculous, cherry picking stat dumb comments.

LEAVE NOW, GO WATCH NFL. I promise your day will better than reading a DSF hijack.

Avatar
#44 YFC Prez
November 24 2013, 11:06AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Todd

What in the world is an asshat? Is he riding a donkey ? Is his head under someone's rear? Is he wearing a gigantic hat shaped like a butt or donkey?

Someone explain so I can be hip!

Avatar
#45 #ThereGoesTheOilers
November 24 2013, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Sometimes so-so happens for a reason. At least that what I keep telling myself dammit! I've always liked Paajarvi and would love to see him get his shot at winning the cup.

That being said, there is little not to love about Perron. It was destiny.

Avatar
#47 camdog
November 24 2013, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Todd wrote:

WARNING: Get ready for this thread to be ruined by DSF's arbitrary, completely random, asshat,revisionist and completely selective draft talk.

Draft talk is the DSF sweet spot for trolling. He can go back over years of data and spot all the players we missed. Completely ignoring the fact that 30 other teams also missed them. Even the team that drafted a star in the 6th round would have drafted them higher in highsight.

I hate revisionist draft comparisons. Its a fools errand. But this is DSFs bread and butter.

** This thread is over. All logic is gone, you should all just LOG OFF NOW!!! Or risk being very annoyed by a series of stupid, ridiculous, cherry picking stat dumb comments.

LEAVE NOW, GO WATCH NFL. I promise your day will better than reading a DSF hijack.

No NHL team can be successful when Jeff Petry is your only post 1st rounder on your team. No offence to Petry but they need more. You can hate the reasons why the Oilers have been a bad team aka bottom feeder for the past 8 years all you want, but that doesn't change the reality of this situation. Over the past 10 years the good teams have found players in the second round and later, the bad teams are the ones that haven't.

Avatar
#48 Todd
November 24 2013, 11:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
camdog wrote:

No NHL team can be successful when Jeff Petry is your only post 1st rounder on your team. No offence to Petry but they need more. You can hate the reasons why the Oilers have been a bad team aka bottom feeder for the past 8 years all you want, but that doesn't change the reality of this situation. Over the past 10 years the good teams have found players in the second round and later, the bad teams are the ones that haven't.

I agree 100% with you. If you read my comments above. I think the Stu is not good. We need some home runs from later rounds. The bar for draft success has been lowered to "not that bad".

But that doesn't discount the fact that DSF is about to ruin this thread with ridiculous cherry picked stats.

Book it.

Avatar
#49 Todd
November 24 2013, 11:29AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

What in the world is an asshat? Is he riding a donkey ? Is his head under someone's rear? Is he wearing a gigantic hat shaped like a butt or donkey?

Someone explain so I can be hip!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=asshat

"One who has their head up their ass. Thus wearing their ass as a hat. Asshat"

"A person, of either gender, whose behavior displays such ignorance/obnoxiousness that you would like to make them wear their own ass as a hat. "

"One whose head is so far up their rear end it could pass for a hat; used to describe a person who is stubborn, cruel, or otherwise unpleasant to be around."

Basically its DSF.

Avatar
#50 THRNHJE
November 24 2013, 11:32AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

DSF is often negative and always biased, but he often has a lot of very valid points. Sometimes us fanboys have the fanboy goggles on and cant see that because his negativity towards our struggling team is often hyperbolic.

It is hilarious to me to see the props versus trash ratios now we are on a 3 game win streak compared to when we were on a 5 game lose streak. DSF sounded like just another of the guys who hated being an Oilers fan. At least he is consistent.

Comments are closed for this article.