Fallout from new Canadian TV deal uncertain, but expect prices to rise

Jonathan Willis
November 27 2013 07:47AM

With the news yesterday that Rogers and the NHL had agreed on a 12-year, $5.232 billion Canadian television deal, the overwhelming reaction was uncertainty. We don’t know how this will effect TSN or CBC, we don’t know how Rogers will cover the game, and we don’t know if the hockey-watching experience will be better a year from now than it is today.

What we know for sure is that NHL hockey is going to be on Rogers. What we also know, with barely less certainty, is that it’s going to cost more to watch.

The Experts

Jim Jamieson of The Province talked to two business experts: UBC’s James Brander and SFU’s Linday Meredith. The full article is here (and well worth reading) but note the similarity in comments both made.

First, Brander:

The first thing I noticed is the big price tag, and obviously Rogers has to recoup that.

And Meredith:

We’ll see a lot of bundling or extra charges for premium channels. I’m sure Rogers will be pushing hard on all those buttons because they’ve got a lot of money to recoup. Whether it means having to buy stuff you don’t want or premium channels, your cable bill will be going up.

The Logic

It’s pretty straight forward. The NHL’s national television rights cost lots more now than they used to (Chris Botta of Sports Business Journal put the total value of the old deals at roughly $190 million); this new deal increases that to an average of over $400 million per year. Even assuming that NHL hockey was a cash cow for CBC and TSN (which seems likely, given the spike in price), it’s a pretty decent bet that a massive increase in the cost of the product for the provider is going to result in price increases for the consumer.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and the executives at Rogers Communications can pay lip service to the idea that, on some level, this deal was the best deal for fans but it would be a mistake to see it as more than lip service.

The NHL is focused on one thing: money. They’ve demonstrated it time and again, especially with their willingness to force labour stoppages to squeeze as much money as possible out of the sport. Rogers was willing to pay up for the television rights; consequently, the NHL was all too happy to do a deal with Rogers.

Likewise, Rogers is a business with the primary focus of making money. A lot of that money, doubtless, will come from expanding the amount of product available and milking advertisers for all that they are worth. But it would be silly to assume that every available revenue stream won’t be tapped, and that’s likely to include increased prices for the consumer.

A shiny new television deal is unquestionably good for the business of the NHL. It may yet prove to be good for fans, too, if Rogers can deliver a superior product. Right now there’s no way of knowing whether the product will be better or worse, only that it’s likely to cost more.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 kgo
November 27 2013, 08:16AM

This is awesome, I pray they fire all the dinosaurs at CBC except for Cherry!!!

#2 bwar
November 27 2013, 12:17PM

I hope Rogers saved enough money to hire a replacement for Gene Principe.

#3 CHRIS
November 27 2013, 01:07PM

I HATE ROGERS, TSN is so much better. I cried when I heard I have to listen to Louie Debrusk explain the game of hockey to his audience like we are all children for the next 12years. May bad things happen to you Louie...... So that my suffering will end.

#4 Bryzarro World
November 27 2013, 12:13PM
Rob... wrote:

If the 'other side' gets in power I'm buying stock in Frito-Lay and hydroponics companies. The changes they'll bring in will have little to do with the CRTC unless they redefined it to mean cannabis regulation and trafficking commission.

If trudeau got in power I would move out of this country and become muslim. World would be lost at that point...

#5 The Benevolent Orca
November 27 2013, 10:36AM

I don't see increase's coming. If this means more hockey on TV to watch, I'm all for it. TSN has dreadful commentary anyways, so good riddance.

One question from me. What happens to TSN now? Their viewership in Canada is going to plummet. Maybe they can work a stronger CFL deal. I'd be all over that.

#6 Serious Gord
November 27 2013, 05:36PM
Katzhater wrote:

Joel, basically spot on. Serious Gord, basically shut your yap. You don't know the first thing about what you speak.

First off; where do you get off telling me or anyone to shut their "yap"?

Second you know nothing of my qualifications/knowledge of monopolies and their pricing dynamics and other behaviors in a market.

For the record:

I minored in economics in university;

have worked on and or chaired on various economic policy committees for the provincial and Canadian chambers of commerce, the Conservative party of Canada and the Wildrose party.

One of those CofC committees developed the policy that called for the end of the Canadian wheat board monopsony (it was not a monopoly as many laypeople assume) that the Cdn minister of Ag at the time said was instrumental in laying the ground for its abolition

as well as policies on removing the CBCs special status and it's HNIC monopoly;

appeared before two provincial royal commissions where I submitted an extensive brief calling for the end of the various Ag marketing board monopolies;

have been involved in marketing and market budgets for my Own company for 12 years and other companies and marketing groups since 1990 some with annual budgets into the millions;

and that's just off the top of my head - there is more.

The point is: disagree with my opinion if you wish, better yet give some concrete reasoning/reasons of your own,

But don't question my qualifications.

What are your qualifications?

#7 Shaker
November 27 2013, 08:15AM

This was some of the worst news I could imagine. The fact gene principe and his (juvenile, tired, unfunny schtick) is going to be shoved down our throats for the considerable future, teamed up with the fact that, unarguably the best talent in hockey by a country mile is being shut out, is.............attrocious.

#8 bleedblue
November 27 2013, 09:26AM

Its time for the Communist Broadcasting Corp to go away. And drop Cherry off at the Tyrell Museum for display.

#9 wtf
November 27 2013, 03:30PM
Bryzarro World wrote:

Keep the derogatory comments to a minimum please. Some of us actually are Muslim.

#10 Spydyr
November 27 2013, 08:29AM

Chris Jones has been named head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos.

He can't be worse the last one, can he?

#11 Todd
November 27 2013, 10:27AM

Man I don't get it... Why are people complaining? Its so typically Canadian to feel entitled. But sports? Really? People feel entitled to their NHL hockey...

If it costs too much, don't watch. If you don't like the product, don't watch. If you do like it, and its worth the cost for you, great! That's how the real world works.

Maybe some of the lefties out there can get involved here. Regulate it, unionize it, cap it, watchdog it. Send ideas to a policy think tank and figure out how to socially engineer the optimal NHL TV deal that is accessible, honest, fair and FREE for everyone! Maybe get those fat cat executives at Rogers to subsidize it for us.

OR - it could be run like the NFL. A league who has focused on making money and having an amazing product and the end result is THE BEST sports product on the planet.

#12 Dave
November 27 2013, 12:26PM

I like Gene ... he lives in Edmonton and is one of us. He can tone it down a notch. Our broadcast crew is far better than Calgary's.

#13 BorisMironov2
November 27 2013, 01:39PM

Allstar dream lineup for entertainment value:

Coax Rod Philips out of retirement for play-by-play, Gene Principe (with an unlimited supply of props) as his colour guy, Ily Bryzgalov as the "in the game analyst" (even if he's playing).

"Panel" comprised of Milbury, McGuire, and Cherry, but without any moderation. Cherry can bash those two guys as much as he wants. Throw in Biznasty too, I feel like him and Cherry would be friends.

Have an insider trader segment lead by Eklund, with special guests "every single person who includes the rights to Linus Omark in a Shea Weber trade proposal"

Production team that brings in the inventor of the FoxTrax puck, cooperalls, and every design team that has ever used yellow as a main jersey colour.

Just in case anyone from Rogers is reading, this is guaranteed to work. Bring me in as an advisor and pay me MILLIONS.

#14 Fresh Mess
November 27 2013, 07:45PM
wtf wrote:

So what ? That doesn't give you free reign to censor comments by claiming offense. Toughen up, comment may have been idiotic but hardly a hate crime.

#15 Oiler Al
November 27 2013, 09:08AM
kgo wrote:

This is awesome, I pray they fire all the dinosaurs at CBC except for Cherry!!!

Cherry is the biggest and oldest senile dino on the show. Time for the old fart to retire. He has been spewing the same lexicon for 20 years... nothing new from him.

#16 Bryzarro World
November 27 2013, 10:09AM

ADIOS RISHAUG!!!!

#17 Clarko
November 27 2013, 08:28AM
kgo wrote:

This is awesome, I pray they fire all the dinosaurs at CBC except for Cherry!!!

Don Cherry is the definition of a dinosaur!

I like Maclean and Friedman for commentary and like the Hughson/Simpson duo for broadcasting, but not a big fan of the rest.

#18 book¡e
November 27 2013, 10:33AM
bleedblue wrote:

Keep your redneck trash in Ontario - we don't need your backwards thinking regressives in Alberta.

#19 Spydyr
November 27 2013, 10:56AM
book¡e wrote:

Yeah, stupid profit. Profit is terrible. Without profit and trade and markets we would be so much better off. Now let's go hunt some deer with our sharp sticks.

Yes, billionaires and millionaires get more money on the back of the working class.

The discrepancy between the rich and the rest of us continues to grow.

#20 Dipstick
November 27 2013, 11:33AM
Spydyr wrote:

The discrepancy between the rich and the rest of us continues to grow.

They didn't get rich by sitting on their asses complaining.

#21 RexHolez
November 27 2013, 08:04AM

Between the lockouts, my team not being even close to competitive for years, and now this... I'm pretty sure my NHL days are coming to an end

#22 michael
November 27 2013, 08:47AM

The Conservative government is requiring cable company's to offer pick and pay packages as per coming legislation from the CRTC and the Competition Bureau. Prices will rise per channel but you'll be able to turf Oprah and W and all the other crap that you do not want to see on your TV. Prices to the consumer have to equal demand also. The place where Rogers is going to see an increase in Revenue is in the mobile devices and tablets. 40% of all Canadians now own a tablet. Heck I want one for Xmas so I can watch the Oilers when I am away from my tv.

SN stepped up. The ax will fall at TSN and CBC and at SN as all those TV personalities are amalgamated. TSN is not going to pay MKenzie and the other hosts to do a fraction of the work they do now. If they did it would be dumb.

CBC in partnership with SN will see the end to a few of the CBC's lesser lights. I think we'll see the amalgamation soon after the last puck is dropped this season.

Center Ice will grow. The online content will grow. Blogs will grow.

NBC will look at this deal and you can bet your bottom dollar that NBCSports is going to be looking at how the template that SN implements works in Canada.

I am a big fan of all things hockey. I love my Oilers. But I love the game even more. SN deal is a boon to guys like me. Love it.

#23 Bryzarro World
November 27 2013, 10:08AM

The best thing that the NHL did for me was the lockout before this last one. It showed me that I didn't need hockey and opened my eyes to all the other things I could do with my time and money. I called it quits over this last lockout. I still follow the oilers from time to time but I don't go out of my way to watch and don't give katz a dime of my money. He wants to turn this team into a joke...well... the joke will be on him soon enough, the sheep just need to wake up and pull their heads out of their backsides

#24 pkam
November 27 2013, 12:30PM

It is an entertainment, not daily necessity, right?

So if it is good value for the price, then I am in. If it is not, I'll move to other entertainments.

So why do we even have to worry about the price going up? They are not pointing a gun at your head to force you to subscribe it, are they?

When there is not enough demand (consumer), the price will drop, won't it?

#25 Serious Gord
November 27 2013, 02:36PM
Fresh Mess wrote:

I see there are several people who don't understand a few things:

1) The announcing crew for the regional Oiler telecasts are hired by the Oilers. Rogers has little to do with it. If you dislike Principe, write the Oilers.

2) I just talked to a well known former TSN employee. He confirmed what I already knew, that there would be a lot of people moving over from TSN to Sportsnet. So whichever network hockey presentation you prefer is irrelevant. Rogers now has all the content and will therefore have their pick of TV talent. Their broadcast will improve over time.

3) It's true that the government is exploring a la carte channel unbundling. If this happens, TSN and Sportsnet would no longer be subsidized by all cable subscribers and would likely cost between $30 and $40 per month on their own. Obviously the channel with the most desired content would win out in that scenario.

4) I also cut the chord about three years ago as I became frustrated with price increases every 6 months on my already hefty cable bill. With a good outdoor antenna you can receive all the local over the air channels in clean HD. So now that will include HNIC double header on CBC as well as a Saturday game on City TV and perhaps OMNI. City TV will also have a sunday night game apparently. UnblockUs does work well as has already been mentioned.

As Craig simpson confirmed on 1260 ALL CBC on air people have their contracts expiring at the end of the year due to the upcoming futrue contract not being in place. One would assume that is also the case for TSN and Rogers. Thus EVERYTHING is in flux as to who will be working for rogers when the new contract comes into force. So lots of people looking for a smaller number of jobs. The result will be significant downward pressure on the on air salaries.

With unbundling the costs will go down - not up. At least at first. Sports channels are in demand, some of the more obscure CANCON and other channels don't draw flies. The CANCONs will either have to jump their rates or see incomes plummet (but a jump could kill subscribership even more). Meanwhile the sports channels will see huge demand and get to keep all of the subscriber payment rather than share it with the obscure channels like they do now.

In time as the rogers channels leverage their hockey monopoly they may ramp up rates, but i suspect they don't plan on doing that - rather they want to generate cross-platform revenues and use the TV as a bit of a loss-leader.

#26 book¡e
November 27 2013, 08:24AM

I'm not convinced that it will cost the consumer more. The cost of advertising on sports events has increased significantly. This is because it's one of the very few opportunities to actually capture Viewers. Most other advertising opportunity on TV have been challenged by PVR's. People watch sports live so advertising is much more effective on live a broadcasts. I think this new deal represents the fact that sports market advertising is become very lucrative. We will see but I wouldn't agree that price increases are inevitable.

#27 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 27 2013, 09:36AM
They're $hittie wrote:

Hockey is now ruined, more Gene Principe

GOOD GRIEF

Come now… Gene is hilarious and a side-show. It's the commentariat that deserves scrutiny here.

#28 book¡e
November 27 2013, 10:30AM
Spydyr wrote:

The bottom line is the 5.2 Billion and Rogers profits will come out of the pocket of Canadians.

They never even kissed us first.

#29 Serious Gord
November 27 2013, 06:39PM
gaz wrote:

My only issue with your hypothesis is that you're forgetting that wages are 'sticky', particularly in the short-term. This is backed by empirical evidence in decades of economic studies.

So, I think it more likely that wages will not in fact change much. What should happen is that premier NHL analyst/insider talent would hypothetically flock to Sportsnet...but then, we should remain cognizant that TSN is owned by Bell, who also has some moola, and might be more than happy to defend against potential talent loss (since their trade deadline and free agency shows are very popular).

Some movement of talent is inevitable, but downward pressure on talents' wages? Very unlikely.

But how much demand will there be at TSN? My Guess is that they will do what espn did when they dropped the nhl rights - de-emphasize it as much as possible.

Granted that is a tougher task in a monolithic hockey mad country like Canada. And certainly there will be less competition for first class play by play and colour guys - Rogers will be the only employer.

As I noted above, apparently (via Craig Simpson) alMost ALL on-air peoples contracts with all of the networks are renewing this year - synchronized with rights contract being up. That means a lot of people looking for a spot on the Rogers team. That can only mean downward pressure on salaries.

#30 kgo
November 27 2013, 08:35AM
Clarko wrote:

Don Cherry is the definition of a dinosaur!

Friedman is gold for sure....but I would pay 1 billion $ personally just to Fire Scott Oake

#31 Crondor
November 27 2013, 08:48AM
borisnikov wrote:

Another thought. Our Dads' and Granfathers' games of hockey, even the game we watched in childhood, is officially dead with this deal. The escalation of salaries will continue and the line between sport & business will grow ever more blurred.

“The theory of exodus proposes that the most effective way of opposing capitalism and the liberal state is not through direct confrontation but by means of what Paolo Virno has called “engaged withdrawal,”mass defection by those wishing to create new forms of community. One need only glance at the historical record to confirm that most successful forms of popular resistance have taken precisely this form. They have not involved challenging power head on (this usually leads to being slaughtered, or if not, turning into some—often even uglier—variant of the very thing one first challenged) but from one or another strategy of slipping away from its grasp, from flight, desertion, the founding of new communities.” ― David Graeber, Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology

In other words, lets stop watching the NHL and start a new league!

#32 They're $hittie
November 27 2013, 09:28AM

Hockey is now ruined, more Gene Principe

GOOD GRIEF

#33 Ed in Edmonton
November 27 2013, 12:33PM

I see this as not a big deal to hockey fans. It make no difference to me which channel I watch a game on, other than the varying production qualities. But some people just like to complain.

I hope the Rogers improves its production quality, as it is far behind TSN and HNIC. The local Oiler product borders on amateur hour.

#34 sec206
November 27 2013, 12:51PM

5.2 billion to get rid of Mark Lee, Kevin Weekes, Glen Healy? Worth every penny.

#35 pkam
November 27 2013, 12:59PM
sec206 wrote:

Where is your source?

My understanding is HNIC will continue and CBC will determine their own staff.

#36 Katzhater
November 27 2013, 03:57PM

@Joel

#37 Lawndemon
November 27 2013, 08:10AM

If Dreger, McKenzie, and Duthie talk about hockey and nobody is there to hear them, do they still make a sound?

#38 They're $hittie
November 27 2013, 09:27AM

Who would you rather cover

Props for TSN

Trash for Sportsnet

#39 Ducey
November 27 2013, 09:34AM

You are missing the real story. Rogers and Bell own Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Rogers is going to shove the Leafs down our throats 24/7 in order to increase the value of MLSE.

Expect to get Leafs games for free, but to pay for Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Jets, and Canadiens programming.

#40 camdog
November 27 2013, 09:51AM
Oiler Al wrote:

Nick Kyperos, the new voice of the nation, lol. Ya he's way better...

#41 Bryzarro World
November 27 2013, 10:18AM
Spydyr wrote:

They never even kissed us first.

Just stay away from companies that are involved with the NHL and Sportsnet and you won't have to bitch about the increase...

#42 Bertly83
November 27 2013, 11:17AM

televised hockey isn't a right, it is a privilege. we pay for this privilege.

if you don't want to pay, then you lose the privilege.

if it costs something to produce, its not given away for free. this is business, this is life.

whether they raise prices or don't, that's the nature of the beast.

do you pay for cable now? yes. will you continue so that you can watch hockey? yes.

#43 book¡e
November 27 2013, 11:23AM
Spydyr wrote:

The discrepancy between the rich and the rest of us continues to grow.

So.... revolution?

I am all for instituting more progressive taxes to help address inequality and ensure that there are good opportunities and incentives for all to succeed, but there is nothing wrong with profit - it is integral to a well functioning market.

#44 Smokey
November 27 2013, 01:22PM

@Shaker

Mean Gene shtick is annoying at times. It appeals to my grandma. Youngin' just don't enjoy the fine science of punery they way they should. I like Geno as a person, and I don't mind him when he's just doing his interviews or some analysis, and if did it without the jokes I'd say nothing negative. If he dumped the comedy would he be more appreciated? I for one like hi, but his jokes blow.

Why do people not have an issue with Ron MacLean doing the same thing? I love his punery, but he's like a master Jedi or something. Best part of coaches coroner is watching Grapes face when MacLean owns him with the off the cuff gem at the end.

#45 STAN
November 27 2013, 01:38PM

I'd love to see MacKenzie, Lebrun, Rod Smith and perhaps James Duthie move to SN just for their own careers, but it's paradoxical because even with those solid broadcasters SN is bound to find a way to present them in the worst possible light (literally and figuratively).

SportsNet is crap, from a one-time talented and trustworthy Darren Millard to the laughable Nick Kypreos, the aforemented Principe and the goofs who try to play broadcasters in Calgary and Vancouver.

This deal makes a mockery of free enterprise. Monopolies rules and Rogers and the NHL know that better than anyone. Monopoly, collusion and consumer indifference, now THAT's how you squeeze REAL money out of our flawed system.

#46 Dobbler
November 27 2013, 02:02PM

HNIC has gotten worse over the years IMO. Don Cherry went from being an actual credible hockey commentator/analyst to a "sports entertainment personality". People tune in to coach's corner see what the blow-hard dinosaur is going to do, not to get any insight on the game.

I don't mind the sportsnet product. I'm glad that they'll be able to get better people and improve it, but I watch most of my games on SN already and have no major complaints (minor compaint -> Gene Principe)

On a side note...The white snow background makes the page numbers and "next" and "back" really hard to see.

Okay, whining done!

#47 Jon
November 27 2013, 02:22PM
Fresh Mess wrote:

I see there are several people who don't understand a few things:

So the Sportsnet crew is hired by the Oilers?? That makes no sense, why do they do the Olympics stuff for Sportsnet then? When TSN bought 1260 why did they get rid of all the Sportsnet guys if they're just hired by the Oilers? Why is it just the 630 Ched guys that do the Oilers website stuff if Sportsnet guys are also Oilers employees?

#48 Joel
November 27 2013, 02:53PM
Bryzarro World wrote:

Buddy... you don't and won't have to pay for all the turd channels you don't watch. Most likely save money and if you're glued to the tv, well, get a life.

Ok, you seem to be making assumptions.

Mainly, that if they unbundle channels, that it will only cost a fraction of your current cable bill to get the channels you actually watch.

What you don't seem to be taking into account is the nature of the monopoly, and you are assuming the benevolence of the cable companies (and Rogers specifically)

Sure, if you evenly divide what I pay for cable each month by the number of channels, it comes to less than a buck per channel.

But if you think for a minute that all channels will be priced evenly at that low low price, you are crazy.

Rogers will charge whatever the market will bear. This is their past practice in every other aspect of their businesss, they are a publicly traded corp that needs profits to placate shareholders, and they now have a monopoly on the most valuable TV content in Canada.

So how much is watching Oilers games worth to someone in Edmonton? Or watching the Leafs, or Habs, etc.

Expect to pay more for the sports channels necessary to watch the games than you are actually paying now for the bundle that includes TSN+Sportsnet+crap like OLN and the Speed network.

You'll have less channels, albeit probably losing the ones you didn't watch in the first place. And you'll be paying more.

If you think I'm wrong, please provide an example in modern history of a large public corporation gaining a long term, guaranteed monopoly over a valuable commodity by crushing its competitors and then lowering prices to the benefit of consumers.

I'll be waiting, because you won't find one.

#49 common sense
November 27 2013, 02:54PM

guys, don't worry about be happy. Keith Pelley who is now head of Roger's media division, used to be in charge of TSN. Pelley was interviewed on Bob McCown and his goal is to use the NFL as his benchmark in terms of tv production. Sure the cable rates may go up but they will continue Saturday HNIC on CBC and they plan NHL on City tv. Looking at the NFL and the States, I don't think cable rates skyrocketed. TV still makes a lot of money off advertising.

#50 Serious Gord
November 27 2013, 06:40PM

And there will be only one albeit larger analyst team instead of the current three.