BAD TO THE BONE

Lowetide
November 29 2013 07:21PM

On about day two of the National Hockey League's existence, someone said to someone "we need more size" and began a quest that continues to this day. The size/speed/skill prospect trifecta is so rare that NHL teams can go a decade or more without having one—Edmonton sent their last complete power forward away on November 15, 2000—and spend dozens of draft picks in vain pursuit of a successor.

DRAFTING COKE MACHINES IS A LONG SHOT

Jonathan Willis wrote an interesting piece on the subject of size recently, and it got me thinking about the discussion regarding the current Oiler forwards. Perron misses being a power forward because of size and speed (he's certainly skilled enough) but has a definite role in the physical side of the game. A line containing Perron has the ability to score and agitate, and offers the opposition a unique set of challenges.

Tonight, Perron stood out in a big way, imposing his will on the other team, agitating the opposition and trying to get things going. He's also a good hockey player, so he's agitating other good players for the other side. The club could use more actual NHL players who have an edge, and size is fine but the idea is to acquire players who are difficult to play against, tough to defend, difficult to predict from shift to shift.

AGGRESSIVE FORECHECK

Perron's style forces the issue, pressures the other side and causes errors, which means turnovers and chances off the rush. The NHL has all kinds of players who bring that extra element along with significant skill; I would include Sidney Crosby, Dustin Brown, Brendan Gallagher, Scott Hartnell, Ryan Kesler and others. How many of those would you consider power forwards?

This is an element the Oilers should have in spades, and they do get their chances, but there are also long periods when breaking out against Edmonton is a breeze (and at least some of this has to do with coaching style and the system played under a coach's direction) and tonight is a perfect example.

I think that sometimes when we say "the Oilers need to be more physical" what we mean is "why can't the Oilers be more aggressive on the forecheck, finish their checks and make sure that every pass is challenged when possible?"

That's a major area of opportunity, and Perron's really good at creating turnovers that can turn into chances. On a night like tonight in Columbus, when the Oilers aren't really interested in competing for 60 minutes, a player like Perron stands out in a good way.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

• They have been passive defensively
  • They have looked like they are unsure of their next move
  • They have not  been making it difficult for the other team to execute passes
  • They do not look like they're engaged in each and every play in the game

The Nashville game was a golden example of pressuring, rolling four lines and allowing your best players to wheel.  It looked like the coach and players had finally arrived at an agreeable system, and the learning curve for both finally arrived at something that could be successful.

Tonight in Columbus, the Edmonton Oilers were miserable again. The Oilers need more guys who get agitated at losing, and can agitate the opposition and are actual NHL players.

More David Perron's, please and thanks.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Grumpy Oil
November 29 2013, 08:38PM

Anyone else tired of Lowetide's articles basically rehashing the same crap week after week? His work doesn't hold a candle to Gregor or Willis's level of professionalism and at least Wayne writes like someone who's passionate about the team.

I always get excited when I see a new article posted on the nation, but then I get 3 lines in before realizing, aww crap. LT again.

#2 **
November 29 2013, 09:22PM
YFC Prez wrote:

Ever go to your buddies for a free B-B-Q and chew him out for cooking your steak medium when you wanted rare.

And I'm not too sure I've ever read a Wayne article....wasn't aware he wrote here

so basically you're dissing other nation members without even knowing what goes on here?. Get a clue buddy.

#3 **
November 29 2013, 11:29PM
YFC Prez wrote:

Oh if heard of wanye. It's Wayne I was curious about.

I have it under good authority I need to get a clue though.

Thanks for clearing it all up LT

Who let the troll out?

#4 Bryzarro World
November 30 2013, 08:54AM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

'Your.' I don't usually grammar Nazi, but if you're gonna respond with two words, you should probably get them both right.

It's not your fault you're a tool, it's your parents and the FOXP2.1 gene....

#5 Serious Gord
November 29 2013, 08:53PM

"..:Edmonton sent their last complete power forward away on November 15, 2000—and spend dozens of draft picks in vain pursuit of a successor..."

I'm no expert on oilers draft history, but please could someone list the draft picks that the oil have made - serious draft picks - ones in the first two rounds - who would fit the definition of being potential "complete power forwards"?

Because I can't think of any. And if I'm correct, and very few to nil have been then LOWETIDES assertion is wrong and it may in fact be a very damning indictment of management and scouting.

#6 Arius Mumin
November 30 2013, 03:02PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."

- Arnold Glasow

Don't trade a piece of the core for wins now. In the light of the years to come, it will be seen as a fool's move. Eventually these kids will stop looking around for someone on the team to do what needs to be done, and they will do it themselves.

Either Hall or Eberle has to traded.

The recipe for success doesn't include both of them in it.

#7 Poolanov
November 29 2013, 08:36PM

Even DUBNYK would have lost this game ...please...

#8 YFC Prez
November 29 2013, 08:56PM

@Grumpy Oil

#9 Quicksilver ballet
November 30 2013, 08:38AM

Everyone on this team is suffering because there isn't a #1 and #2 blue liner on this hockey club. The Oilers have some skill....but there isn't a capable pair of defenseman around to get them the puck with time to do something with it.

A couple of top pairing D'men, and a second line center. The Oilers are still wandering in the desert.

Good thing Kevin knows a lot about winning. I'd hate to see how bad it could've gotten without it.

#10 @Oilanderp
November 30 2013, 02:44PM

- Arnold Glasow

#11 YFC Prez
November 29 2013, 09:46PM
** wrote:

Lol. Ok then throw me a bone. Who is Wayne anyway. Apparently I need a clue

I love you guys

*single tear*

#12 Serious Gord
November 30 2013, 08:50AM
Mikey wrote:

Dont' be so lazy, took less than 1 min. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005632.html

I looked at that list but other than looking at position and size metrics I don't know the characteristics of the player at the time of the draft. If memory serves from when I looked last night there may have been five or six forwards over 6' - two were centers - drafted by the oil in those two rounds since 2000. But how many of them were thought to be bidding "complete power forwards"? That's the question I would like answered. But on the face of it drafting only one ever two years maximum does qualify as much of an effort.

#13 Alsker
November 29 2013, 09:49PM

We truly lack that one guy who shows 0 regard for his fellow man providing they wear a different jersey than his. Marchment was as dirty as they came and we sought him out because he was exactly what we required!!! Don Jackson wasn't dirty per say but reminded opposition forwards why the boards are made of wood and why the glass hurts whem your face is planted into it. What a difference that 1 guy makes on a team, not a coke machine that lumbers about aimlessly but the guy that punishes the other team because he enjoys it!!!We saw it for years in Regehr, remember, the guy every body hated because he wasn't on our team. Every guy on the team will play and inch or 2 taller and 20lbs heavier once MacT finds him and then we can start talking about turning the corner.

#14 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 30 2013, 08:09AM

@Bryzarro World

#15 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
November 29 2013, 08:01PM

They are who we thought they were!

#16 **
November 29 2013, 09:31PM

Here's something encouraging:

Since the miracle run in 2006 the Oilers haven't had multiple players over 65 points, hell some seasons not even one player. In 2006 there were 4 players with at least 65 points.

This season there are 4 players on pace for at least 65 points: Eberle, Hall, Nuge and Perron (I didn't count last season because it wasn't a full season and the stats are very skewed for a real comparison). That's more offense than the team has had in a long time . It's time to pull the trigger on under performing veterans and bring the right pieces for the team to finally move up (provided Eakins gets his act together).

#17 Alsker
November 29 2013, 10:14PM
Oilerz4life wrote:

^ The Oilers do need more grit, obviously and toughness, but one Marchment type isn't going to make that much difference. The Oilers team you're referencing was tougher all around, from the forth line up. They could cycle the puck, play strong along the boards, behind the opponents net, etc. They played as a team. Total underdogs, but at least as a team they would compete and put in the effort, they had what this team is missing...heart. imo

True but it made it a lot easier for guys to play tough with a wild card in your hand. As for heart, what have any of the wonderbrats had to work for? 1st overalls, huge contracts, the white glove treatment by management,bahh, trade a couple of them and see what happens. Anyone who thinks Gretz just floated about and collected points is nuts. These guys(99,17,11,9,7) aren't in the HOF 'cause they're cute, they had drive,heart,and a willingness to do what it took to win. BUT they had a management team that understood what was needed to compliment them, unlike 6rings + co. who have no clue WTF is going on.

#18 Quicksilver ballet
November 30 2013, 08:54AM

Just wanted to comment on your gif there LT.

I have that same pair (mens of course) of Levi jean short shorts, but they just don't have the same affect on the opposite sex when i'm wearing them. Thought I could make this work, even with a very subtle muffin top thing I got going on. Could it be my almost athletic thunder thighs I was blessed with? Am I missing sumfin? The clerk told me they looked great....

#19 andrewmk20
November 30 2013, 09:41AM

@Jordan Nugent-Hallkins

A lot of questionable penalties on both sides though. Refs were calling holds and hooks when players were just touching their sticks and gloves to the sides of other players.

#20 tileguy
November 30 2013, 10:39AM

When is it time to admit that the rebuild needs to be blown up? I think that time is here now, everybody agrees that we need size and grit and there is not much of it on the farm, maybe Nurse in 2-4 years.

It is time to make trades with the kiddies. Overpay or 2 for 1 or maybe stockpile some draft picks. We are not going to become a competitive team like this.

Sure glad I don't pay thousands for season tickets, and quietly sit back and do nothing. Kev, you gave it your best shot, time to move on.

BOLD moves are needed if we are going to compete in time for the new elephant, errr I mean arena.

#21 NOTB
November 29 2013, 08:56PM
Grumpy Oil wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger. Until the Oilers stop serving the same crap week after week, we wait for something better to be written about.

#23 Wow
November 29 2013, 10:18PM

Reid Wilkins....ugh

There's bad, and then there's BAD...Reid...ummm...maybe EPCOR?

#24 Curcro
November 29 2013, 11:32PM

Did anyone else notice that the 4th goal never actually entered the net?

Not that it matters, but apparently the person in the situation room in Toronto was asleep.

#25 S cottV
November 30 2013, 09:36AM
Stack Pad Save wrote:

I don't know if you understand how hockey is played, but if you spend more time with the puck, you have a greater chance of scoring, also you are more likely to get hit. Last night the Oilers only line with consistent possession in Columbus' end was the RNH-Hall-Eberle line and they consistently won puck battles. That is toughness.

The other scoring lines did very little of that.

What last nights game highlighted to me was that Columbus is another young inconsistent team like the Oilers and when you got some big, strong puck moving D-man, who are willing to engage you are going to be an effective team. Wish the Oilers had some more of that on the back end.

Sometimes you give up possession 200 feet away and regain possession with a strong forecheck. Hall screws around 1 on 3, gets stuffed - turns it over and 30 seconds later its in the back of our net, aided by the fact that RNH has no idea what he is doing in his own end. So the big line gives up a gift to get things going. Not the thing you want to do on the road - back to back.

#26 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
November 30 2013, 10:01AM

Its only a game

Why you heff to be mad boys

We will win again*

* eventually

#27 **
November 30 2013, 08:41PM
YFC Prez wrote:

Why you Heff to be mad?

I understand sticking up for your fellow man. But when that fellow man visits someone's blog and complains about the contents without adding anything of value what so ever , he should expect to be called on it.

I happen to like Lowetides contributions so I respectfully disagree with grumpy oil and yourself.

The very first article I ever read here was one by Wanye featuring some world class ms paint of a giant star shaped Jordan Eberle ( that was pretty much the worm that got me hooked). Yes I know what goes on at the nation.

My only question for you is when you call out one of the bloggers for quality of work why get your panties in a knot when the call is returned from another commenter. Time to relax I think.

* hugs *

So long as you stay in your cage, it's all good.

#28 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
November 29 2013, 07:42PM

I thought the title

summed up the effort tonight.

They MUST be better

#29 I tried it at home
November 29 2013, 07:46PM

LT, I swear to rum I read the whole article and you hit the Nail (pun intended) on the head... but after that crap I just watched, I just really really needed your WDIAM. Thanks man. Now excuse me whilst I drink

#30 HardBoiledOil
November 29 2013, 07:50PM

even Dubnyk would have lost this game if he started it, the way the Oilers were sleepwalking through most of it !

#31 risto siltanen's slapshot
November 29 2013, 09:10PM

I've watched weber show his toughness and a mean streak. I've seen chara strike fear into his fellow man. we need a pronger now not in 4 years when nurse is ready. time to pull the trigger mac t and get some functional toughness cuz ference doesn't cut it

#32 corky
November 29 2013, 09:58PM

Mact has been talking about size for awhile now. Nothing new there. Getting said size is the hard part. Time to dangle a skilled player to remedy this. Havent heard SixRings take on his opinion lately

#33 Oilerz4life
November 29 2013, 09:58PM

#34 YFC Prez
November 29 2013, 10:09PM
Lowetide wrote:

Wanye? Well friend, if you haven't read him you are in for a treat!

Oh if heard of wanye. It's Wayne I was curious about.

I have it under good authority I need to get a clue though.

Thanks for clearing it all up LT

#35 oilers2k10
November 30 2013, 06:07AM

November 15th, 2000..now who might that be? Jason Arnott?

#36 season not played
November 30 2013, 07:17AM

So they decided to not show up in Columbus. So what. We can't honestly expect this team to show up for every single game in the next four and a half months of garbage time can we? It's not like the players don't realize they have no chance and it's been like this for years and will continue to be like this. It's engrained in the dressing room. The players do not care. The players pretend to be concerned about compete. The players are not a team, but a bunch of hockey players who collect pay checks for playing hockey without expectation. Pretty sweet spot if they can swallow whatever pride they have left.

Anyways, it's a bush league organization, there is no defense for that. Proof is in the record.

And I don't want to be the guy who second guesses a coach after the fact, but please, fxxk, are you kidding me Eakins? What are the chances the erratic goalie who has played four periods of NHL hockey this season follows up a shutout with another solid performance on a BACK to BACK? If nothing else it keeps a team prone to sleepwalking through games on their toes. Also a good way to alienate your other goalie. But hey, Bryz got a shutout, must be the new starter, cut and dried. Minor league decision by a minor league coach hired by an incompetent general manager who works for a complete idiot.

#37 Sliderule
November 30 2013, 07:50AM

I don't know we're Eakins is coming from with fit.

Ference our most fit player from the testing has been playing like crap.

If Eakins meant stronger I get it.

RNH ,Eberle and Schultz jr get pushed around like weaklings in the corners.

These players will be retired before we draft a power forward so get them on supplements and in the gym.

#38 Serious Gord
November 30 2013, 08:40AM
Suck It wrote:

You have no idea.

Well, if you think that's the case - refute my point with FACTS rather than insults.

#39 YFC Prez
November 30 2013, 09:15AM
** wrote:

Who let the troll out?

Why you Heff to be mad?

* hugs *

#40 Oilerz4life
November 30 2013, 10:10AM
nunyour wrote:

yes please,someone like Tootoo.

The team as a whole needs to play with grit and toughness. So someone please explain to me how bringing in one Tootoo type player is going to change the whole Oiler culture now? The Oilers need a helluva a lot more sandpaper injected into their line-up than one guy, but we need tough hockey players, not cheap shot artists. So explain it to me then, how is that one guy, whoever it is, going to bring about that dynamic shift in Edmonton's game?

#41 oilerjed
November 30 2013, 10:28AM
Oilerz4life wrote:

Simple addition by subtraction. Every time you bring in one guy that is willing to play hard all of the time you can move out some half ass lazy puck dangling SOB(Hemsky- and its OK to throw him under the bus cuz he is my goat). That's how you change the culture. One better player at a time until the only players you have left are the ones who get it. Note to self management

#42 CMG30
November 30 2013, 11:05AM

I Really have no problems with the Oilers drafting the most skilled guys first because there are no guarantees with the picks and that way you have the best chance to avoid a bust. (At least in the first few rounds, after that it's kind of irrelevant to me as most of them are a crap shoot anyway) The NHL is littered with teams that drafted for position over quality and a good many of those teams ended up worse for it.

Having said all that, when you draft for skill you're not going to have a balanced team and therefore you must be willing to move some of those guys for the pieces that you still need. Sadly, this part of the process takes patients because deals involving those caliber of players are not easy to make happen.

#43 Bucknuck
November 30 2013, 11:16AM

Watching the game last night, I couldn't help but think: "The Oil need more Arco and less Gagner."

I am a Gagner fan, and I was happy when they resigned him, but I am a bigger Arco fan. The guy is always checking, always skating, and always making plays. I don't understand why he isn't being played more.

#44 HOFFFF
November 30 2013, 11:18AM

Too many pretty boys. Great danglers but that's it. Ebs and Nuge skating around with eggs in their pockets. Sammy snowpants gets tossed to the side like a flyweight. Buncha perimeter pussys.

#45 Serious Gord
November 30 2013, 05:34PM
EHH Team wrote:

Lowetide's statement was that the Oilers tried to draft power forwards; not necessarily that they turned out to be complete power forwards.

Paajarvi is 6'3" & over 200 pounds, so I think he fits into the range of size to be a power forward (given he doesn't play like one, at least at this point).

Moroz & Pitlick were both early second round picks, so they clearly fall into the range of Lowetide's pursuit narrative.

Even though Hall was considered the best player available, that doesn't remove him from the debate imo.

Lowetide said complete power forward - and that that was the quest and that dozens of picks had been spent on it. IMO anything later than the second round does not qualify as a serious attempt.

Pajaarvi has never in his career amateur and pro has ever fit the mould of power forward - he has nil physical game.

Lowetides narrative was since 2000 clearly that is a best debatable and mostly likely fanboy fiction.

#46 D
November 29 2013, 07:35PM

Really thought the Oil had turned a corner. I was wrong.

#47 Greg the Hammer Valentine
November 29 2013, 07:58PM

"You can't just stand there and watch greatness walk away, playing NHL hockey requires a lot of work without the puck. The Oiler players have all of the skills, but for prolonged periods this season:

They have been passive defensively They have looked like they are unsure of their next move They have not been making it difficult for the other team to execute passes They do not look like they're engaged in each and every play in the game"

Well then, I would think the coaching staff has a huge part of the responsability of that.

#48 Oilerz4life
November 29 2013, 09:49PM
** wrote:

Here's something encouraging:

Well said.

#49 cain
November 29 2013, 09:52PM

What is awesome in regards to this loss is, (according to guru Bob Stauffer)the Oilers learned ANOTHER lesson. Apparently, it seems the team needs to be ready to play right from the opening face-off. I'm sure we can all expect remarkably different results now that this elusive revelation has become evident to the team. Just so pleased we have crossed this bridge, and now we get it...

#50 Alsker
November 29 2013, 10:56PM
Retsinnab5 wrote:

As soon as i thought we had hope. They let me down AGAIN and AGAIN

Hahahaha...sorry, reminded me of my ex...lol......