GDB 27.0: BACK-TO-BACK?

Jason Gregor
November 29 2013 10:14AM

Ilya Bryzgalov couldn't have written a better script. In his first start as an Oiler, Bryzgalov 33 shots and picked up his first win and first shutout. Brzygalov is the first goalie to register a shutout in his first game as an Oiler since Jussi Markannen did it in 2001.

Does Eakins go back-to-back with Brzygalov or should he play a rested Devan Dubnyk?

Before you start yelling and ferociously hitting your keyboard with insults that I'm an idiot for even asking the question, read on.

The Oilers haven't won back-to-back road games on consecutive nights since December 1st and 2nd, 2010 when they beat Toronto and Montreal. Dubnyk beat the Habs 4-3 and the next night Nikolai Khabibulin shutout the Leafs 5-0.

Last night was Bryzgalov's first NHL start since April 25th, a span of 217 days, so he's likely a bit fatigued.

Eric T from NHLnumbers.com and Broadstreethockey wrote this piece about why you shouldn't play goalies on back-to-back nights.

He compared goalies who played on consecutive nights to goalies who played on one day's rest. Goalies playing on back-to-back nights, who usually are the starters for their respective team, see a significant dip in their SV%.

I understand that Eric's numbers are just guidelines and Eakins will go with his gut instinct, he's decided to start Bryzgalov, but considering how hard it is for Edmonton to win road games on consecutive nights, starting Dubnyk isn't as outlandish as you might think.

Dubnyk has played much better recently, he shutout Columbus ten days ago, and for the first time in a long time the Oilers are healthy and have competition for icetime throughout the lineup. This team needs some internal competition, and when I take into account Bryzgalov's recent lack of recent playing time, potential fatigue and the Oilers history on back-to-back nights, I'd lean towards starting Dubnyk tonight and going back to Bryzgalov on Sunday in Dallas.

Eakins doesn't like to mess with a winning lineup, and you could easily argue why starting Bryzgalov tonight is the right decision as well.

LINEUP

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Perron
Jones-Arcobello-Joensuu

Ference-Petry
Grebeshkov-J.Schultz
Belov-N.Schultz

Bryzgalov

No need to change any forwards or D-men. Eakins was able to roll four lines last night due to the solid play of the 4th line, but also because the Oilers were protecting a lead. I'm not sure we will see many games where the difference in icetime from the top forward, David Perron 18:29, to the lowest, Ryan Jones 11:12, is only seven minutes.

Eakins was able to rest his top forwards, Hall played 17:12 while Eberle played 15:45, so they shouldn't have heavy legs tonight in Columbus.

QUICK HITS....

  • It is interesting how people's attitudes and thoughts change after a win. The Oilers won and no one was ripping Eakins for only playing Nail Yakupov 12:54. Earlier in the season after another loss many fans were livid that Yakupov was only playing 14 or 15 minutes. Winning cures almost everything, and it sure would be a refreshing change to discuss more victories than losses.
     
  • The 4th line played very well last night, but it was only one game. I need to see how Eakins will use his bench in tie games or when his team is trailing. I suspect it will be much different, but Jones and Arcobello, not surprisingly, were flying.
     
  • The Blue Jackets have been wildly inconsistent the past few games. Over their last six games they won 4-1, lost 7-0, won 2-1, lost 6-2, won 6-0 and lost 4-0. That is why betting on hockey is extremely painful for me.
     
  • Since the Blue Jackets entered the NHL, the Oilers have dominated them to the tune of 29-10-3-5, and they are a respectable 10-6-3-4 in Columbus. Most of the Oilers love playing the Blue Jackets:

    Nugent-Hopkins: 1 goal and 11 points in 7 games.
    Hall: 4 goals and 12 points in 9 games.
    Eberle: 6 goals and 12 points in 10 games.
    Hemsky: 14 goals and 39 points in 33 games.
    Smyth: 19 goals and 47 points in 46 games.
    Gagner: Eight goals and 21 points in 23 games.
    Jones: 6 goals and 13 points in 17 games. Most career points vs. any NHL team.
    Perron: 11 goals and 25 points in 29 games. Most career points vs. any NHL team.
     
  • The Oilers are at the midway point of the "easiest" stretch of their schedule. The Oilers had an 11 game stretch where they play CGY, CBJ, FLO, CHIC, NSH, CBJ, DALL, PHO, COL, CGY AND CAR. The Oilers are 4-1 thus far, and if they want to climb out of the basement in the western conference and get to where they don't need binoculars to see Minnesota or Vancouver's point totals, they need to go at least 4-2 in the remaining six games.
     
  • Eberle has 12 points in his last 11 games. He had 10 points in his first 10 games. In between those streaks he went five games without a point. If he stays healthy, don't be surprised to see him reach the 70-point mark again.
     
  • Hall has 19 points in 19 games, and he has 56 games to play. He should surpass 70 points as well.
     
  • Nugent-Hopkins has 20 points in 24 games. He'd be on pace for 66 points, but with a slight increase in production he could reach 70 as well.
     
  • The last time the Oilers had two 70-point players was in 2005/2006. Hemsky had 77, while Shawn Horcoff had 73. Jarret Stoll had 68 points that season.
     
  • If Eberle reaches the 70-point mark he'll become the 9th player in Oiler history to have multiple 70-point seasons.

    Jari Kurri had 10.
    Wayne Gretzky had 9, but 137 points was his lowest total. Sick
    Mark Messier had 8.
    Glenn Anderson had 8.
    Doug Weight had 6.
    Paul Coffey had 5.
    Esa Tikkanen had 3.
    Ales Hemsky had 2.

    Twelve players have done it once: Jimmy Carson (100), Blair MacDonald (94) Vincent Damphousse (89), Mike Krushelynski (88), Joe Murphy (82), Craig Simpson (76), Eberle (76), (Ken Linseman (75), Dave Lumley (74), Horcoff (73), Zdeno Ciger and Ryan Smyth (70). 

MIRROR, MIRROR...

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Despite bucking the odds and playing Bryzgalov, Eakins looks smart and the Oilers pick up their 30th victory over the Blue Jackets by a 4-1 score.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: RNH, Hall and Eberle combine on a first period goal.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Denis Grebeshkov decides to give Wanye and Oilersnation a late 6th birthday present. Grebeshkov is the only player Wanye ever picked as his GOAT two years in a row, and after learning he wasn't Wanye's GOAT for a 3rd time, Grebeshkov repays Wanye by scoring his first goal of the season. It is also his 2nd career against the Blue Jackets, which ties his career high for goals vs. one team.

DAY TWO...MONTH OF GIVING...

We had an excellent first day. Yesterday we raised $7,000 thanks to Brad's bid and the fine folks at Petersen Buick GMC for donating a one-year lease on a 2014 GMC Sierra.

Today's package includes....

You can bid by calling 780.444.1260 or 1.800.243.1945. All the proceeds will go to Santas Anonymous. Thanks in advance to all of those who make a bid.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 Blucifer Copperballs
November 29 2013, 01:24PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
38
props

I'm gonna heff to enjoy dis game wit my 5 favorite Russians:

Yakupov Grebeshkov Belov Bryzgalov Shmirnoff

HA!

Avatar
#52 Lochenzo
November 29 2013, 01:27PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
16
props

An argument in favour of Dubnyk is that he got the shutout against CBJ last time.

Avatar
#53 Raine
November 29 2013, 01:28PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
3
props
Clarko wrote:

It's one game dude. I was also impressed with Bryz, but I would say the evaluation on the goaltending situation needs to be longer than ONE start.

What impressed me even more was that the Oilers gave up very few high quality scoring chances. There weren't any wide open Predators roaming the slot with no Oilers within 10 feet of them. If they can continue that kind of defensive play, that will go a long way to improving their record.

Disagree. The Oilers gave up quite a few good quality scoring chances and the one timer from the slotnwas present again. Not nearly as bad as say the first dozen games but plenty of good shots came Bryzgalovs way. Bryz played cool, calm and collective and these chances looked a lot less significant as past games. I'm not all on the Bryz band wagon but he played fantastic last night.

Like you say, one game. But don't let good goaltending over shadow the chances the Oilers allowed.

Avatar
#54 pkam
November 29 2013, 01:35PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
7
props

No reason we can't win tonight.

If both teams are healthy, we are still a slightly better team than the BJ on paper. Now they have 3 of their top 6 out of the lineup and we are completely healthy, how can we possibly lose to them?

Being said that, we better be ready the 1st minute cause they just beat the Leafs 6-0 several nights ago, and they definitely want to return the favor of that 7-0 embarrassment.

Avatar
#55 pkam
November 29 2013, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Raine wrote:

Disagree. The Oilers gave up quite a few good quality scoring chances and the one timer from the slotnwas present again. Not nearly as bad as say the first dozen games but plenty of good shots came Bryzgalovs way. Bryz played cool, calm and collective and these chances looked a lot less significant as past games. I'm not all on the Bryz band wagon but he played fantastic last night.

Like you say, one game. But don't let good goaltending over shadow the chances the Oilers allowed.

I don't think anyone debate for Dubnyk in his first 5-6 games.

But if you compare our last two games (the Hawks and the Preds), we played much better last night. How many of those quality scoring chances that we gave to the Hawks happened last night?

One question, do you think the result will be different if we swap the goalies in these two games?

Avatar
#56 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 29 2013, 01:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
19
props
Wäx Män Riley wrote:

I prefer Bryz Lightyear or iBryz

Easy, Bryzy, beautiful, cover-the-goal?

Avatar
#57 Pouzar99
November 29 2013, 01:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props

Stay calm folks. Who knows which CBJ team we will play tonight? The guys we waxed 7-0 or the ones who walked into Toronto and pasted the Leafs 6-0. If they have any pride they will be looking for redemption. We have a good shot at this one, and a win would be great, but temper your expectations. If the boys play well and win we might be on the move a bit. IF.

Avatar
#58 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 01:46PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
5
props
pkam wrote:

Tell me how many soft goals Dubnyk let in in the last 4 games. Dubnyk's career SV% is 0.911. If he lets in more soft goals, then he has to make more saves to keep his SV% at average level. And he has to do it behind a terrible defense group.

And Bryz's .887 SV% was behind a better Philly defense group (not great but better than the Oilers defense group), and with some of the players that the fans here want to acquire to upgrade our defense.

That last four games includes the game Dubnyk allowed four goals on only 14 shots and got pulled.

You can believe Dubnyk is the answer moving forward here.I don't and neither does the GM.

IMO they will pick up one of Hiller , Halak or Elliott this summer.

Avatar
#59 Bucknuck
November 29 2013, 01:50PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
5
props
pkam wrote:

I don't think anyone debate for Dubnyk in his first 5-6 games.

But if you compare our last two games (the Hawks and the Preds), we played much better last night. How many of those quality scoring chances that we gave to the Hawks happened last night?

One question, do you think the result will be different if we swap the goalies in these two games?

Some of those 33 saves Bryz made were on point blank shots from the slot. He had some great poke checks, and didn't allow himself to get beat. He was stellar. He was the difference.

Dubnyk has not been playing at that level much this year, so I actually don't think the Oil would have had a Win if Dubnyk had been in net.

Avatar
#60 Will
November 29 2013, 01:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props
mayorblaine wrote:

without question goaltending, particularly Dubnyk, was shakey at best in the beginning of the season. in saying that, you know our problems were never that one dimensional?

That is an interesting point which has certainly been debated at large. What's wrong with the Oilers? And it is true that the team as a whole just didn't show up for a few games: early one against Van, that horrendous showing against Detroit, and the even worse performance against the leafs.

However, there were so many games that the Oilers have lost 5-4, 6-5, etc. I mean, how many goals does the team need to score to get the win. Maybe that was the fault of the defence, or the 'swarm', or whatever, but when your forwards score 4, 5 or 6 goals in a night, a goalie needs to make that one big stop that will get the win, and Dubnyk / Labarbra, for a large majority of the first 20 games, could not do that.

That St. Louis game is a good example. A high scoring game, where the Blues tender made that one, huge stop minutes before the game ended to keep his team in it. A few minutes later, Dubnyk could not do the same, and the Blues tied it up and won in overtime I think.

Now, Dubnyk and the team are definitely coming around, but looking at the improvement in shots, possession, chances, and face off wins over last year, I am kind of stumped to explain all those early losses on anything else other than atrocious goal tending.

Avatar
#61 Will
November 29 2013, 01:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Dubs-nik wrote:

Bachman?

True his follow up performance wasn't stellar, but then he got injured so whose to say how he would have fared over a few more games. Also, Bachman was kind of untested. Bryz is an NHL goalie with both bad and exceptional seasons to his name. There's just a bit more credentials to back up the hope Edmonton has secured better goal tending.

Avatar
#62 Arius Mumin
November 29 2013, 02:00PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
5
props

@GREGOR

Why is that interesting to you? When I read the first sentence-I thought you was onto something.

When Oilers win the negativity takes a long nap, just like that DSF thing.

Eakins ego spoke about accountability, so at times when it Eakins loses his senses , he acts on it. If you recall the turnover against the Hawks on the PP, Yakupov was the last Oiler to try to play the puck before Toews scored. Eakins ego struck and it gave Schultz Yak's PP time. Last night's PPs would account for about another minute or two of Yak's playing time. It is not a big deal.

Since Schultz didn't gel with the 1st PP unit last night, Egins will put Yak back in and go with the 5man PP. OGDP; Yak will score while on the PP.

Put the Yak BS aside. You had nothing to say about Yak so you went at a few of his loyalists. Oh Sweet Valley High.!

Why not discuss if it should be Yak or Schultz on the 1st PP unit? Or something like that, anything like that. Something interesting.

Avatar
#63 Greasy Goal
November 29 2013, 02:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
7
props
Spydyr wrote:

That last four games includes the game Dubnyk allowed four goals on only 14 shots and got pulled.

You can believe Dubnyk is the answer moving forward here.I don't and neither does the GM.

IMO they will pick up one of Hiller , Halak or Elliott this summer.

I would not like to see Elliott here. He's an average goalie on one of the top 3 teams. He'd get chewed up and spit out here.

Avatar
#64 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 02:03PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
+1
2
props
Greasy Goal wrote:

I would not like to see Elliott here. He's an average goalie on one of the top 3 teams. He'd get chewed up and spit out here.

So just like Dubnyk then?

Avatar
#65 Arius Mumin
November 29 2013, 02:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props

Oilers recalled Grebs because 4 Russians is always better than 3 Russians.

Avatar
#66 pkam
November 29 2013, 02:11PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
10
props
Spydyr wrote:

That last four games includes the game Dubnyk allowed four goals on only 14 shots and got pulled.

You can believe Dubnyk is the answer moving forward here.I don't and neither does the GM.

IMO they will pick up one of Hiller , Halak or Elliott this summer.

Out of the 3 goalie you mention, only Halak is an upgrade to Dubnyk. Hiller is on par with Dubnyk, and Elliot is a downgrade.

Avatar
#67 Will
November 29 2013, 02:13PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
6
props
Arius Mumin wrote:

Oilers recalled Grebs because 4 Russians is always better than 3 Russians.

MORE RUSSIANS!!!!!

We should have drafted Nichuskin, picked up Antripov before he bolted to Russia, then had a Canadian line and a Russian line.

Avatar
#68 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 02:15PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
+1
4
props
pkam wrote:

Out of the 3 goalie you mention, only Halak is an upgrade to Dubnyk. Hiller is on par with Dubnyk, and Elliot is a downgrade.

In your opinion.

IMO you are way over rating Dubnyk.

Avatar
#69 pkam
November 29 2013, 02:18PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props
Spydyr wrote:

So just like Dubnyk then?

Elliot is way worse than Dubnyk.

In his 3 year with the Blues, his SV% is .940, .907, and .932 so far this year.

And his career SV% is only .910, it is skewed heavily in favor by the great defensive system by Ken Hitchcock.

Just ask a Sens fan if you want to know about Elliot. I am sure they will rather have Dubnyk over him.

Avatar
#70 Spurzey
November 29 2013, 02:25PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
4
props

Do not sign that nutball of a goalie..Bryzgalov. He will never play here. He doesn't like the weather. Look how well he played in Philly. They liked him so much they bought him out, etc, etc, etc.

Avatar
#71 Lowe Expectations
November 29 2013, 02:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
8
props

Gotta love the the goalie argument. I remember being told the two most popular athletes in Edmonton are the backup QB for the Eskimos and whichever goalie isn't playing for the Oilers.

Avatar
#72 A-Mc
November 29 2013, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props

Brian Elliot has let in 4 goals on 11 shots in this SJ/STL game.. and it's only the 1st period.

Tough night

Avatar
#73 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 02:38PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
5
props
pkam wrote:

Elliot is way worse than Dubnyk.

In his 3 year with the Blues, his SV% is .940, .907, and .932 so far this year.

And his career SV% is only .910, it is skewed heavily in favor by the great defensive system by Ken Hitchcock.

Just ask a Sens fan if you want to know about Elliot. I am sure they will rather have Dubnyk over him.

Dubnyk faces a lot of low percentage shots from bad angles and long range..Coaches tell their teams to shot from anywhere against him.

Save percentage is not the end all when looking at how good a goalie is.

Personally I prefer a clutch goalie who makes the big save when needed.Something Dubnyk has never done on a consistent basis.

Big saves lift teams soft goals deflate teams.A goalie who constantly lets in weak goals wears on a team.They try to hard to block everything scared to let a shot through.Anyone who has ever played hockey will tell you that.

Teams will try to win one for the goalie if he steals them games then lets in a bad goal.If the team constantly fights back to get close in games then the goalie lets in a soft one.You get what happened the first 20 games this year.A lost season.

Avatar
#74 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 02:39PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
4
props
A-Mc wrote:

Brian Elliot has let in 4 goals on 11 shots in this SJ/STL game.. and it's only the 1st period.

Tough night

Ouch

Avatar
#75 pkam
November 29 2013, 02:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
4
props
Bucknuck wrote:

Some of those 33 saves Bryz made were on point blank shots from the slot. He had some great poke checks, and didn't allow himself to get beat. He was stellar. He was the difference.

Dubnyk has not been playing at that level much this year, so I actually don't think the Oil would have had a Win if Dubnyk had been in net.

None of the saves that Bryz made last night were as difficult as those Dubnyk allowed in Chicago game. Not saying that Bryz couldn't save any of the 4 that Dubnhk allowed, but very unlikely.

Can Dubnyk made those saves last night if he was in net? I believe so. He is playing pretty good lately. I was in the Dallas game and he was really good.

Avatar
#76 pkam
November 29 2013, 02:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
7
props
Spydyr wrote:

Dubnyk faces a lot of low percentage shots from bad angles and long range..Coaches tell their teams to shot from anywhere against him.

Save percentage is not the end all when looking at how good a goalie is.

Personally I prefer a clutch goalie who makes the big save when needed.Something Dubnyk has never done on a consistent basis.

Big saves lift teams soft goals deflate teams.A goalie who constantly lets in weak goals wears on a team.They try to hard to block everything scared to let a shot through.Anyone who has ever played hockey will tell you that.

Teams will try to win one for the goalie if he steals them games then lets in a bad goal.If the team constantly fights back to get close in games then the goalie lets in a soft one.You get what happened the first 20 games this year.A lost season.

I really have no idea how you come up with the idea that Elliot is a better goalie than Dubnyk.

I don't watch the other team's games but I watch the highlight in NHL.com. Did you?

If you didn't, then go to NHL.com and watch some of the highlight that Elliot played when he was a Sens and count how many soft goals he let in.

If you want an elite goalie, Dubnyk is not the answer, but neither is any one of the three you mentioned.

Avatar
#77 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 02:59PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
0
props
pkam wrote:

I really have no idea how you come up with the idea that Elliot is a better goalie than Dubnyk.

I don't watch the other team's games but I watch the highlight in NHL.com. Did you?

If you didn't, then go to NHL.com and watch some of the highlight that Elliot played when he was a Sens and count how many soft goals he let in.

If you want an elite goalie, Dubnyk is not the answer, but neither is any one of the three you mentioned.

Hiller or Halak would be an upgrade IMO Elliott would be a lateral move but sometimes a change is needed.

I pvr sportscenter and watch the highlights most days.

Who would you like to see come here as an elite goalie?

Avatar
#78 Manfly
November 29 2013, 03:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props

guyz....if Bryz plays well the rest of this season, he'll be the #1 goalie they've been looking for, and he'll earn himself a good paying, 3 or 4 year contract and they can stop searching.

Avatar
#79 Spydyr
November 29 2013, 03:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props
Manfly wrote:

guyz....if Bryz plays well the rest of this season, he'll be the #1 goalie they've been looking for, and he'll earn himself a good paying, 3 or 4 year contract and they can stop searching.

If he plays well I'm not sure he will want to sign here long term.It is the north pole and all.

Avatar
#80 OilCanFan
November 29 2013, 03:14PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Manfly wrote:

guyz....if Bryz plays well the rest of this season, he'll be the #1 goalie they've been looking for, and he'll earn himself a good paying, 3 or 4 year contract and they can stop searching.

And there is a chance it will be somewhere else

Avatar
#81 rob
November 29 2013, 03:15PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props
pkam wrote:

Out of the 3 goalie you mention, only Halak is an upgrade to Dubnyk. Hiller is on par with Dubnyk, and Elliot is a downgrade.

The big kid from mighty ducks movies are an upgrade on Dubnyk,wonder what hes doing now............

Avatar
#83 RexHolez
November 29 2013, 03:28PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
7
props

So I take it people are still watching this team do whatever it is they do during games... I love the argument about which crappy goalie is better.... Lets talk about which of our AHL level defenceman is holding their head barely above water the best. Just a couple years away right guys.... The championships are gonna start rolling in right away, just be patient....

Avatar
#84 S cottV
November 29 2013, 03:29PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
4
props
Jason Gregor wrote:

If you noticed I referenced Yak's icetime earlier in the year, not the two recent games where they used 5 fwds on the PP...

The point was that when you win, no one cares about minutes of a player. When they lose people want to find things to blame for the loss, and I used Yak's early season icetime.

You don't use 5 fwds on the PP long term, so it is a no-brainer to have Schultz on the first unit. It has nothing to do with Eakins ego.

Eakins wants a D-man on his PP, not five forwards. It is pretty simple and straight forward. There is no drama involved in it.

Amen... 5 forwards on that PP vs Chicago in the early part of the 1st period was so dumb - Eakins deserved to get it rammed up where the sun dont shine. 5 forwards on a PP once in a blue moon - maybe, but playing with fire and that was not the blue moon moment. Made a rookie coach look even more like a rookie coach.

Avatar
#85 Zarny
November 29 2013, 03:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props

Statistically, we're talking about the difference between Lundqvist and Theodore or Price and Garon.

If my back-up was Theodore or Garon I'd probably go with the tired starter just to keep him happy.

This is Bryz's 2nd start of the year. With his layoff I have more concerns about his fitness level to go back to back.

I'd also take into account how the team feels and plays when each G is in net. Dubnyk was letting in beach balls early in the season and has let in some weak G at key moments. That creates doubt.

Bryz might not be a better option but he hasn't accumulated any barnacles yet either. The team might play with more confidence with Bryz in net simply because he hasn't dropped the ball yet.

Avatar
#87 Manfly
November 29 2013, 03:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props
OilCanFan wrote:

And there is a chance it will be somewhere else

i know he's said some less than flattering things about Edmonton in the past, but i'm not convinced that if he plays well the rest of the season he'll necessarily sign a new contract elsewhere.

Avatar
#88 Johnnydapunk
November 29 2013, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
pkam wrote:

Only Dubnyk let in weak goals and no other goalies do?

Bryz is so much better than Dubnyk? Did you watch the playoff between the Pens and Flyers in 2012? I guess 0.887 SV% and 3.46 GA in 11 games is so much better than Dubnyk's start this year.

I really hope Bryz will ever play like that again. At least not as an Oilers.

Actually his numbers were better in the 2012 playoffs than Dubnyk's were in the first 11 games this season

Bryz GAA 3.47 SV% .887 5W 6L shots faced 326

Dubnyk GAA** 3.90-4.00** SV% .872 3W 7L 1OTL shots faced 327

** GAA for Dubnyk an approximation using the guide that each game he played was 60min, just couldn't be arsed to calculate exact minutes, but the number is quite close.

Bear in mind that the first round of the 2012 playoffs Philly played the Pens in what was a goal fest with very little defending, an NHL record was set for most goals scored by both teams in the first 4 games of a series. Philly also won that series and seemed to lose their shooting and scoring touch in the conference semi's as Uncle Daddy only had to face more than 30 shots once in those 5 games.

Really weird stat was that Bryzgalov faced the exact number of shots in both the first and second round of the playoffs that year, both series facing 163 shots in each. Weird as....

Anyways, saying all of that, Bryz was facing far better shooters in those 11 games and you can argue about the Oilers defence if you wish but they both faced about the same number of shots.

Avatar
#89 A-Mc
November 29 2013, 04:09PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props
Manfly wrote:

i know he's said some less than flattering things about Edmonton in the past, but i'm not convinced that if he plays well the rest of the season he'll necessarily sign a new contract elsewhere.

Ya my thoughts exactly.

If Bryz can be a true #1 here for us, i think the city of Edmonton, and the Oilers, would really embrace Bryzgalov's quirky nature. I actually like him MORE because he shows character: nothing bothers me more than parrot hockey players that can't think or speak for themselves.

If things go well and Bryz sees that this city will embrace him and let him be himself, i think he'd have to strongly consider signing here for a while.

Lets face it, just because he plays for the Oilers doesn't mean he's stuck here in Edmonton. If he's a warmer climate kind of guy, he can still have homes elsewhere. His riches have afford him the luxury to have several homes and the means to fly him and his family back and forth as much as he sees fit.

ALSO, he's from Russia. It's not exactly tropical in Russia. If the -32 is what scares his family away, they could always live here for 10 months of the year and head south for the remaining 2: NO BIGGY!

TLDR: rich people make things work because they have the means to. If Bryz likes it here because we accept him, he'll find a way to stay.

Avatar
#90 bwar
November 29 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props

Gonna call it right now. Bryz doesn't let in another goal for the rest of the season.

Avatar
#91 fantheoilman
November 29 2013, 04:33PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

Just as long as Bryz doesnt do any commercials for the gas company i will be happy to see him sign a 2-3 year deal.

Avatar
#92 Johnnydapunk
November 29 2013, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Manfly wrote:

i know he's said some less than flattering things about Edmonton in the past, but i'm not convinced that if he plays well the rest of the season he'll necessarily sign a new contract elsewhere.

I also agree with you Manfly, again it is very early to speculate, but if the Oil put up semi respectable numbers, give some indication of potential, and the fans and media keep it sweet with Bryz, I'm sure he would consider staying if it works out for both teams. I don't know how big of an issue money is as he is getting paid by Philly for the next 14 years.

Again all I'm hoping for is some stability in the net and maybe Bryz can offer that.

Avatar
#93 Mikey
November 29 2013, 05:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
fantheoilman wrote:

Just as long as Bryz doesnt do any commercials for the gas company i will be happy to see him sign a 2-3 year deal.

What about oil company?

Avatar
#94 Mikey
November 29 2013, 05:16PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
1
props
A-Mc wrote:

Ya my thoughts exactly.

If Bryz can be a true #1 here for us, i think the city of Edmonton, and the Oilers, would really embrace Bryzgalov's quirky nature. I actually like him MORE because he shows character: nothing bothers me more than parrot hockey players that can't think or speak for themselves.

If things go well and Bryz sees that this city will embrace him and let him be himself, i think he'd have to strongly consider signing here for a while.

Lets face it, just because he plays for the Oilers doesn't mean he's stuck here in Edmonton. If he's a warmer climate kind of guy, he can still have homes elsewhere. His riches have afford him the luxury to have several homes and the means to fly him and his family back and forth as much as he sees fit.

ALSO, he's from Russia. It's not exactly tropical in Russia. If the -32 is what scares his family away, they could always live here for 10 months of the year and head south for the remaining 2: NO BIGGY!

TLDR: rich people make things work because they have the means to. If Bryz likes it here because we accept him, he'll find a way to stay.

I think you have severly over estimated how rich he is. Or how expensive flying around the world when you ever you feel like is.

Avatar
#95 Bucknuck
November 29 2013, 05:27PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
1
props
pkam wrote:

None of the saves that Bryz made last night were as difficult as those Dubnyk allowed in Chicago game. Not saying that Bryz couldn't save any of the 4 that Dubnhk allowed, but very unlikely.

Can Dubnyk made those saves last night if he was in net? I believe so. He is playing pretty good lately. I was in the Dallas game and he was really good.

I don't think you were watching the same game, or perhaps Bryzgalov just made the saves look easy. When was the last time Dubnyk had a shutout where the opposing team had over 30 shots?

Bryzgalov wouldn't have made a difference in the Chicago game. Despite what eakins said after the game, it was obvious to me that the Oil were outmatched. Goatending can't save you when your forwards can only score one goal.

Avatar
#96 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 29 2013, 05:28PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
7
props

When you're Russian for a goalie, there's no time for Stalin...

Avatar
#97 YFC Prez
November 29 2013, 06:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props

I really like that behind the net camera angle on the pp. I wish they would do that more often.

Avatar
#98 Chainsawz
November 29 2013, 06:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
7
props
Spydyr wrote:

That last four games includes the game Dubnyk allowed four goals on only 14 shots and got pulled.

You can believe Dubnyk is the answer moving forward here.I don't and neither does the GM.

IMO they will pick up one of Hiller , Halak or Elliott this summer.

Did you watch that game where Dubnyk let in 4 on 14? Cause if you did you wouldn't be critical of Dubnyk at all. He was left hung out dry on all of those.

Still not a fan of Dubnyk but that game was not reflective of Dubnyk's current work.

Avatar
#99 Ari Gold
November 29 2013, 06:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
7
props

So we shut them out or we get shut out. Is that the deal? This team IS bipolar!

Avatar
#100 The Real Scuba Steve
November 29 2013, 06:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

What is happening to Bryzgalov?

Comments are closed for this article.