THE PLAN IS ON FIRE

Lowetide
November 03 2013 12:32PM

The Edmonton Oilers (MacT as GM edition) are 3-10-2 fifteen games in, and OilersNation has gone from anger to real disillusionment. Up next for the fanbase is indifference, but before they get there is there anything the GM can do?

 

  • Darcy Regier: "These GM jobs, they're good jobs. But waiting for a GM opportunity that's structured for success? I'm not sure it exists. When I was assessing the problems in Buffalo before I joined, Al Arbour said to me "Darcy, do you think there would be an opportunity there if there weren't problems? Go in there and do something about it.'" (from the book Behind the Moves).

I'm sure Craig MacTavish knew there were problems (he was part of the organization before agreeing to the job in spring) but there are elements out of the control of the GM that have (at least to this point) conspired against him. His new coach has gone from being seen as confident, fresh and relentless to another in a ever lengthening line of failed coaching hires in Edmonton.

His club has been rocked by injuries (two more last night, and as Robin Brownlee tweeted that Belov injury looked bad) goaltending maladies and confidence issues. I haven't seen locusts, but haven't been looking either.

It's a team in a bad way.

WHAT CAN THEY DO?

As the playoff hopes unhook and release (November 3rd!!!!) there's a sense that the club should do something--anything--to improve things. There are options:

  1. FIRE SOMEONE! Age old solution, find some poor schmuck who was in the room at the time. Candidates often include assistant coaches, pro scouts, the guy who brings the towels and people with one eyebrow. It usually doesn't help.
  2. HIRE SOMEONE! Oilers have already hired Messier, we just don't know what he's going to be doing.
  3. TRADE SOMEONE! Good idea, but you can go from 'we can't trade that guy' to 'no one wants our crap' in a heartbeat and the reality is that it's really early for a significant deal. Besides, the Oilers have traded Mike Brown which means they've used their "Steve Tambellini trade chips mid-season" allotment.
  4. CALL SOMEONE UP! They could call Omark, but I suspect he's broken his phone.

THIS IS GOING TO END BADLY

Probably. However, there's very little that can be done about things as they stand today. Firing the coach would be crazy, trading players when you haven't actually seen your entire team healthy is equally addled and despite being 3-10-2 after fifteen games you could make a case that with goaltending and better luck they could be 6-7-2.

That may sound like sunshine, and hell maybe it is, but from here there's not a lot going on here that some timely goaltending, a better penalty kill and better health can't fix.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The plan is on fire, the season is gone, but there's still a chance to get something out of it. Fix the PK, find useful 6's and 7's and 9's for the 3line with Gordon and the 4line overall. Get Yakupov scoring, get everyone else healthy, find a way to finish above Calgary and then work like buggers next summer to make certain that 2014-15 is the year we see a second season.

Sound horrible? It is. It's also the truth.

Or the owner can fire everyone again.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#151 DSF
November 03 2013, 06:46PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
God wrote:

I'm in the market for a new team to cheer for. Any suggestions? They don't have to be a SC favourite, just a dominant, hard-working team.

Minnesota is interesting.

Gone from crap to good on their way to elite.

Smart GM...great prospect pool.

A great example of how to build a contender without tanking.

Avatar
#152 seanjohn667
November 03 2013, 06:57PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
David S wrote:

Firing Lowe will have ZERO effect on the on-ice product. What part of this simple fact do you not get?

The fact is that by tanking we purposely got rid of good players and replaced them with lesser, inferior versions. After multiple years of doing so we get what we're seeing. Underdeveloped D, inferior 3-4 lines and backup goalies masquerading as starters. But hey - three first picks!

You hate Lowe and I get that. But turning this team around from the damage done by tanking isn't going to happen by Lowe's dismissal. I'm pretty sure both MacT and Lowe know this too.

You want to blame someone, start at Katz. He authorized the tank job and he's keeping Lowe around, which tells me he and Lowe are seeing pretty much what they expected.

The team is where it is because they're trying to overcompensate for injuries and the unbalanced team that's resulted. Everybody is overtrying. Compound that with having far too many players who never learned defensive play because they had the puck on their sticks their entire junior careers and we get veteran teams running our show by pressuring our D corps night in and night out.

As a group they're exhausted because Eakins is overplaying the first two lines to compensate for the injuries. He'll never admit it but I'm sure he knows he's running his horses into the ground because we don't have the depth to pick up the slack.

So please. Enlighten me as to how firing Lowe is going to fix any of this.

about the only improvement on the ice would be

1. Firing Lowe will may go a long ways in improving the franchise's reputation in the eyes of FAs.

but, from a business standpoint

a) it is possible we will start to see empty seats this season, and a drop in season ticket sales next season. Lowe would deserve a firing for this reason alone.

b) the fans want someone's head, and it's Lowe's turn. I, for one, will be unimpressed if he isn't fired, and impress by Katz if he is.

btw, that now makes two consecutive games in which I have not watch a single second.

Avatar
#153 cubsfan
November 03 2013, 08:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

....i am going to save this article, re-read it next year.....it will stand the test of time......lather, rinse, repeat since 2006......

Avatar
#154 The Real Gongshow.
November 03 2013, 01:35PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@Dan 1919

This is a list cause but, here goes. The above listed players have stopped trying, 15 games into the season. We work hard in this city. I would trade away them all for a team that gives us everything they've got on a nightly basis. The so called Young Guns have listened to the soft media in this town hype them up to a status not even closely deserved. You could play post game comments from one of any of the games played in the last 5 years. It all the same. How about that Yakupov ?!? Can we but out a guy still on an ELC ? When did Nuge start playing with a wet noodle instead of a stick... Finish a Bloody check !!! Somebody!!! Anybody !!!

Avatar
#155 merlen
November 03 2013, 02:14PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I'd like to know why they are so against bringing in, and keeping someone with some experience? We've had plenty of rookie players, rookie coaches, rookie GM's and a rookie presedent of hockey operations. I say fire Kevin Lowe, let this rookie coach try his style on some other NHL team and get a experienced NHL coach, and let our players play the way that got them into the NHL in the first place.

Avatar
#156 rob
November 03 2013, 02:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Hall,hopkins,perron and gordon stay,everyone else is trade bait!fire lowe asap and get someone with a brain in there,start building for next year,I am sick of waiting but would give one more year if Lowe was GONE!!!!!!!!

Avatar
#157 Dangilitis
November 03 2013, 02:34PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Lowetide wrote:

GREAT post. Excellent points all.

Your first point is correct and I've wondered it too, the second one (imo) speaks to some PR damage that remains (and will remain until something is done) by the arena negotiation.

The Katz Group will need to repair it.

prudham,

The EIG admitted that things were looking up for the ownership group at the time of the sale, but still were unstable and likely unsustainable.

Katz doesn't deserve the credit for saving the team like EIG, but he has been an important reason why the Oilers have, in principle, an agreement to stay in Edmonton for decades.

You can bitch and moan about how he did it (and yes, the PR was a mess), but he accomplished what he wanted, and that was stability for the franchise and a sustainable arena concurrent with the promotion of downtown development. I don't believe the taxpayer costs are justified, but Edmontonians deserve nice things (despite what some self-loathing fans think).

"The problem is that the Oilers really are a beloved institution, and the city deserves someone who actually thinks this too, and is not more motivated by greed than the good of the team/community."

I had to laugh when I saw this, seriously? He is a great philanthropist and had made great contributions to the city. If you donated 7 million dollars to the U of A recently, I will feel foolish, but I'll take my chances are you have not.

I am not on here to defend him as an owner, because the owner's most important role is to ensure accountable, competent team management with all the tools it needs to succeed. He has failed miserably here.

But to suggest it is his greed that is clouding his judgement is one of the most foolish things I have read. What has clouded his judgment is childhood idols from a dynasty franchise that we would all like to return to, himself included. If he was greedy, he never would have bought the damn franchise he would have plugged that money into another few Rexall pharmacies, and I can bet he would have made a lot more money this way and with a lot less grief from the citizens of a city that gave him his upbringing, education, and career, and who, for some reason, whom he feels indebted to. At this point, frankly, if Seattle wants this team, be my guest.

Avatar
#158 pkam
November 03 2013, 02:52PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Jordan wrote:

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/edmonton-oilers-managment-group-darryl-katz-enforce-their-message-of-accountability-and-hold-kevin-lowe-responsible-for-this-debacle-of-a-season-either-resigning-or-fired#share

Sign the petition for Lowe to be held accountable and ripped from the top and fed to the masses( fans). Share with your friends! Change can be started by all of us !

Sorry, what I mean to say is I am sick of hearing the complaint about the 2-tier fans comment from Lowe.

Avatar
#159 lucky
November 03 2013, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@ James Dean Because there was precious little else to do last night, I decided I would just watch Ference for a few shifts, just to get an idea of this "he's everything a captain should be" diatribe by Eakins at the inauguration. Huh? My God isn't a game like last night a time when a captain should step up a bit? I'm afraid I'm just not seeing it. If Hall were out there, he would have been killing himself trying and maybe, just maybe some of these other stiffs may have got the idea. That and everyone and their dog gets an "A", what's the deal with that?

Avatar
#160 hallthetime
November 03 2013, 03:38PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

The stick guys from oil change look like they can push some guys around, ice them next game.

Avatar
#161 Zarny
November 03 2013, 04:16PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

6-7-2 was probably best case scenario with a young team, new system, new responsibilities and a lack of depth. Hit by key injuries the Oilers are a bad team.

I wouldn't say the plan is on fire. They aren't that far off from where you'd expect this roster to be. I think we are seeing answers to some of the questions and what if's.

The long term plan hasn't changed. Bold moves were required before the season started. Those moves probably won't be available until the trade deadline, draft or free agency.

In the short term MacT should target depth at C, better 7-12 F and 3-4 D. Buf, Phi, Fla and NJ should be open for business. Coburn, Simmons, Zajac, Ott and Myers could help the Oilers.

The young kids are going to make mistakes. They can't be supported by 4th year rookies with 15 NHL games experience and a deep 5-7 D.

And yes playoffs is lost. A top 10 draft pick can be used to facilitate one the required Bold Moves™.

Avatar
#162 hankthetank
November 03 2013, 05:05PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
DSF wrote:

For those of you with an interest and access to NHL Centre Ice, in half an hour, the Calgary Flames play the Blackhawks in Chicago.

Now, I have very little double that Chicago will win but I also have little doubt the Flames will show up and bust their butts for 3 periods.

Watch.

...and SN west.

Avatar
#163 nick
November 03 2013, 06:23PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Greg the Hammer Valentine wrote:

Firing the coach would be carzy? I'm not so sure. From what I see since the beginning of the regular season, I would say the players have no faith in Dallas Eakins. But I'm no sport psychologist, so I could be mistaking.

What I'm sure of, is that:

1- The special teams are a total mess. Man advantage in particular, has no structure at all.

2- The swamp defense is not working. At all. It's chaos on ice.

The Eakins hiring was done too hastily and it turned into an epic fail. The entire coaching staff needs to be changed. Again.

That, plus we need goaltending. And depth at center. And grit. And a no.1 defenseman...

Have to bite the bullet and fire Eakins now. He is not a good coach and he has lost the team already with his arrogance. Watching the Red Wing game after the Wings scored the second goal they showed Eakins on TV not trying to change the momentum some way just standing there starring into space swearing . Who would play for a guy like that. He gave up after the second goal so why would the team not!!

Avatar
#164 cubsfan
November 03 2013, 08:04PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@Lars Eller

and the flames missing their captain.....and still competative

Avatar
#165 madjam
November 03 2013, 08:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

3-2 overtime win for Flames .

Avatar
#166 DSF
November 03 2013, 08:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Calgary hangs around and wins 3-2 in OT.

Avatar
#167 David S
November 03 2013, 08:59PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Not sure what I should be welcome for.

As I understand the column linked to - Lowetide has a far more acidic attitude towards oiler management on his own blog than he does here or on the radio.

Yet he still refrains from saying Lowe should be fired.

Odd.

As I understand it, his basic premise is that Katz is not dedicated to winning. Until he is firing any senior management is pointless. Lowe is executing exactly as Katz wants. Why? I don't know but it would make for a helluva story.

Avatar
#168 Serious Gord
November 03 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
David S wrote:

As I understand it, his basic premise is that Katz is not dedicated to winning. Until he is firing any senior management is pointless. Lowe is executing exactly as Katz wants. Why? I don't know but it would make for a helluva story.

Barring Katz selling the team the next best thing is firing Lowe. And as this is only a part time gig/hobby for Katz it makes sense to fire the person highest up who is full time involved (Lowe).

Perhaps Lowetide cannot bear thought of conceding that his hero has to be sacked.

Avatar
#169 I am the Liquor
November 03 2013, 11:28PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
David S wrote:

As I understand it, his basic premise is that Katz is not dedicated to winning. Until he is firing any senior management is pointless. Lowe is executing exactly as Katz wants. Why? I don't know but it would make for a helluva story.

I dont doubt that Katz is part of the problem. Are you suggesting that the intentional tank strategy was solely a Katz initiative? Possible I suppose. It still doesnt explain why a fiery competitor like Lowe would go against his better judgement and "just follow orders".

That doesnt make much sense to me. Seems more like something someone who is defending him would come up with as a quasi-plausible defense.

Be that as it may, none of that explains the various gaffes and odd/embarrassing behavior from Mr Six Rings over the years. The Comrie/Burke fiasco's as well as the recent two tier fan nonsense. This guy believes his own hype. His arrogance knows no bounds and it colours everything he does. Seems his arrogance is only matched by Katz himself.

Avatar
#170 seriously
November 04 2013, 06:39AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@spliff

I really get the feeling that a majority of the oilers just do not give a f#€k!! I really was wishing that things would turn around this year!! BUT what a disgrace!! I give them the fact that yes they are talented, but like we've seen and commented, there is no effort! Lack of commitment! Yeah yeah... They need mentors but take our armed forces... Young men and women stepping up to the plate and becoming leaders... Just using that as an example!! Even though the oiler management team could not organize a rock fight in a gravel pit..... GROW UP!!! TRY!!! PUT EFFORT IN!! ACCEPT RESPONSIBLITY!! AND PERFORM!! BE A TEAM!!! As for the management....... They all can go f#€k themselves!!!

Avatar
#172 pkam
November 03 2013, 02:20PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I am sick of hearing the 2-tier fans comment from Lowe.

I am a 2nd tier fan according to Lowe's comment. And in my opinion, Lowe is doing the right thing.

Can you imagine those season ticket holders spending thousands of hard earn money, and in 41 night per year, spend 3 hrs per night sitting in the rink, $10 a beer and $8 a hotdog, plus lining up for 30 minutes to get into the parking and another 30 minutes to get out of the parking, to watch this terrible performance. Don't you think they deserve some special recognition from the management?

Avatar
#173 Racki
November 03 2013, 02:21PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Hey everybody, I'm headed down to Whyte Ave.. LETS BURN THIS CITY DOWN!!

Avatar
#174 Neal
November 03 2013, 02:31PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

The worst part is that if 6 Rings actually did get fired, nothing would change any quicker that it would change anyway. The damage he did was assembling the wrong parts together over several years to create the sh*tshow we have now. If Mac is a magician, we trade 3 of the smaller soft danglers, but by the time you do this and get a halfway decent return, this year is gone. Lowe's public hanging would really only provide satisfaction...

Avatar
#175 andrewmk20
November 03 2013, 02:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I heard on the 630 ched after show about sacrificing Kevin Lowe to appease the hockey gods and I think it's a great idea because this team seems cursed. In the first two weeks the team played fairly well and got abysmal goaltending. Then Dubnyk started to come out of his bad stretch and injuries started to pile up so the forward depth very weak. The man games lost are about three times the amount of Calgary's and they have some key injuries as well. I mean the entire LW depth is injured from 1 to 4. Hall, Perron, Joensuu, and Smyth. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. This is much like the 06-07 Flyers season in that everything is going wrong for this club. Unfortunately it's happening after about 7 miserable years of losing and being fairly pathetic from a competitive standpoint. But the fans can either suck it up or walk away. I'm not going to watch every game like I have the last 7 years because it's getting way too painful but I'm not going to lie and say that I won't follow this team anymore or cheer for it.

Avatar
#176 2004Z06
November 03 2013, 03:29PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

What was the attendance for last nights game? Oh yeah, another sellout. That'll teach em!

Avatar
#177 Ryan2
November 03 2013, 03:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
God wrote:

My the wild speculation by those who didn't watch last nights game. That Oilers team was a complete disgrace. They had no effort, little confidence in Eakins' system and no inclination to engage the opposing team. That was the most disheartening game I've ever watched as an Oiler fan.

There are cancers in this organization. They are in management and on the ice.

I'll promise one thing. Dallas Eakins has not been here long enough to prove whether or not he's competent. All he's done is prove that there are cancers in that dressing room.

We will agree to disagree re: Eakins - it is clear his system does not work. Look at how easily the Wings beat it with fast and accurate puck movement for great chances in the slot. I am coaching my son's Tier 2 Novice team and even at that level the results are the same - if we "swarm" in the d-zone the other team usually gets a good scoring chance (and vice versa). If my Novice kids can recognize the mistake when you ask them to explain it on the bench, then I am sure NHLers can as well.

Avatar
#178 Quicksilver ballet
November 03 2013, 03:53PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Bad news is still news.

Look at all the passion on display here the past couple weeks. We could almost host a rumble in LT's back yard.

If we wait till the end of this upcoming roadtrip. we could hold it at Gregors farm instead.

Avatar
#179 Jordan1126
November 03 2013, 04:38PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I'm sick of hearing what the oilers record could be if they had goaltending that was consistent.

Bottom line it is what it is. Good teams find ways to win. If I don't produce results at my job I get let go or put on some sort of corrective action. Being understaffed or having someone on my team not performing is mine and their responsibility.

On the oilers nobody is held accountable. How about paying the players based on performance results, and actual effort.

I wish I knew I was guaranteed 6 mil per year for the next six years regardless of how I performed or whether I was on disability etc.

I'm sure a lot of teams would also have better records if they had another ingredient on their team. Bottom line our goaltending sucks our d coverage sucks and all this so called talent can't score 1 goal in two whole games.

Where I come from this would be considered a failure, but instead I have to witness k lowe driving his escalade through the Starbucks drive thru to get his latte every morning while I bust my ass off to make ends meet.

Plus nobody pays to watch me work.....

Avatar
#180 hankthetank
November 03 2013, 04:42PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@God

i don't see enough emotion from eakins on the bench besides pure resignation. why doesn't he get fired up and scream once in a while? when my kids do something wrong, i don't just roll my eyes and swear under my breath...you have to know how to motivate them to do what you ask. motivation = emotion, look at the Avs/Roy, win or lose, the guy is a firecracker and it's infectious!

Avatar
#181 DSF
November 03 2013, 04:49PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
David S wrote:

Firing Lowe will have ZERO effect on the on-ice product. What part of this simple fact do you not get?

The fact is that by tanking we purposely got rid of good players and replaced them with lesser, inferior versions. After multiple years of doing so we get what we're seeing. Underdeveloped D, inferior 3-4 lines and backup goalies masquerading as starters. But hey - three first picks!

You hate Lowe and I get that. But turning this team around from the damage done by tanking isn't going to happen by Lowe's dismissal. I'm pretty sure both MacT and Lowe know this too.

You want to blame someone, start at Katz. He authorized the tank job and he's keeping Lowe around, which tells me he and Lowe are seeing pretty much what they expected.

The team is where it is because they're trying to overcompensate for injuries and the unbalanced team that's resulted. Everybody is overtrying. Compound that with having far too many players who never learned defensive play because they had the puck on their sticks their entire junior careers and we get veteran teams running our show by pressuring our D corps night in and night out.

As a group they're exhausted because Eakins is overplaying the first two lines to compensate for the injuries. He'll never admit it but I'm sure he knows he's running his horses into the ground because we don't have the depth to pick up the slack.

So please. Enlighten me as to how firing Lowe is going to fix any of this.

Firing Lowe and bringing in a competent Hockey Operations Manager would be the first step toward rooting out the failure and cronyism that infects the franchise. (see Joe Sakic in Colorado for reference)

Given what we've seen this far, I doubt MacT or Eakins would survive for long if they didn't produce results.

As for your assertion that The Oilers forwards are "exhausted" please note that the top 4 forwards for TOI/G are Ryan Kesler (8 goals 12 points), Henrik Sedin (3G 19P), Sidney Crosby(8G 23P) and Daniel Sedin (7G 16P).

Oddly, none of them are exhausted and are producing at a great rate despite being older.

Avatar
#182 DSF
November 03 2013, 05:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Zarny wrote:

If motivation = emotion was true Mike Keenan would still be coaching in the NHL.

The Avalanche are winning because their defense gives up very few scoring chances and their G has been the best in the NHL.

And because they have forwards like O'Reilly, Landeskog and McKinnon who already know how to play a 200 ft. game and show it every night.

Avatar
#183 God
November 03 2013, 06:33PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I'm in the market for a new team to cheer for. Any suggestions? They don't have to be a SC favourite, just a dominant, hard-working team.

Avatar
#184 D
November 03 2013, 06:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
God wrote:

I'm in the market for a new team to cheer for. Any suggestions? They don't have to be a SC favourite, just a dominant, hard-working team.

The Kings and Blackhawks are two organizations that are fun to watch, especially considering that prior to the last decade, they were both mismanaged significantly.

Avatar
#185 Smokey
November 03 2013, 07:06PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Someone commented on Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy were difference makers on Stanley Cup teams whereas Lowe and MacT were just there.

Hmmm....Now you could say that about MacT I guess. He was only one of the top 3rd line centers in the NHL, and maybe one of the top 3 penalty killers in the league for a few years, He was easily the Oilers best defensive forward, and top 5 defensive forwards in the NH in his prime.

Lowe was only an all-star for 7 years and played on Team Canada in 1984. Lowe has garnered consideration for the hockey hall of fame, and will get his number retired some day in Edmonton. Kevin Lowe may be the second best Oilers defenceman after Coffey, and thats if you don't include Pronger.

Avatar
#186 Serious Gord
November 03 2013, 07:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Oil Fan wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Wirtz

Props given to Serious Gord

As I have stated on previous occasions my comparative for Katz is not old man wirtz who was doddering into senility when he drove the hawks into the ground.

Katz is not of unsound mind.

I consider the more apt comparative is Phillip Wrigley

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Wrigley

A key, depressing Graf:

P.K. was a fairly visible presence with the Cubs in his younger years, but was seldom witnessed attending games during his final few decades of ownership, making his presence known mostly through memos and sometimes full-page newspaper ads. Early 70s utility player Pete LaCock was best known for being the son of TV personality Peter Marshall and for his unique sense of humor. The Sporting News once reported that he had made a trip to the Wrigley Building and asked for an audience with Mr. Wrigley. P.K. asked him what he wanted, and LaCock answered, "Nothing. I just wanted to see if you really exist!"

He owned the cubs through some of its most miserable years for 45 years (he gave up ownership when he died). He chronically hired sycophants (Leo Durocher being a notable exception) and held into to players far too long (Ernie banks). Sound familiar?

The thought of Katz being the NHLs version of Phillips haunts me. I haven't got 45 years to wait him out...

Avatar
#187 rob
November 04 2013, 08:40AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Things are not getting fixed till the new areana,We can say all we want about Katz but he is not stupid(selfish,arrogant,ect)but this is simply put he wants a cup,but not till the Oil are in his building!mark my words the last year before the new areana opens this team will be competive,and then ask yourself if that is coincidence or not!

p.s. please get rid of stauffer,I have never heard a more one sided sports personality in my life!

Avatar
#188 THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL
November 04 2013, 08:58AM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Lowetide

Trade Hall ( receive 1st round pick plus journeyman third- fourth liner) Trade Eberle ( receive 1st round pick ) Trade Nuge ( receive 1st round pick ) Trade yakapov ( receive 1st round pick )

And start over this is not working

Avatar
#189 geoilersgist
November 04 2013, 10:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I can't remember the last time I turned off a game it was so bad, but I did it on saturday. What a joke. As a second tier fan it has becoming increasingly difficult to still love this team and follow its every move. I feel like I should start getting into the NFL or NBA.

Avatar
#190 S cottV
November 03 2013, 02:14PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

The odds of making the playoffs now are so remote that making some sort of immediate risky trade to look like something is being done - doesn't make sense. The owner really needs to do some soul searching and work toward a new identity and culture for the team. The "sense of entitlement" old guard needs to changed over time, starting with Kevin Lowe. We need someone like a Brian Burke who will hold the entire organization to account from top to bottom - without allegiance to the past. If the rumor is true - Mark Messier in a senior position or any position for that matter - it would be another big mistake. A new VP hockey operations needs to establish the culture and get moving on first stages of implementation this season. We have to accept that the playoffs are out of the question this season - once again. Not so hard - if - there is a sense for a "true" new direction. Short term - MacT probably needs to get on that bench to hopefully stabilize things and perhaps salvage Eakins from having to be outright fired. If the new VP hockey operations believes that MacT and Eakins fit the new culture for next year - then so be it, but - somehow I doubt it would work out that way.

Avatar
#191 GK1980
November 03 2013, 02:36PM
Trash it!
29
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Please everyone be patient

Avatar
#192 D
November 03 2013, 03:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Curcro wrote:

The reality is that the Oilers only need one of those things.

Top Pairing Defenders. That would calm down things in the D Zone, would mean the forwards had the puck more.

Dubnyk is roughly equivalent to Crawford (career .914 SvP).

The forward group except for the fourth line is actually reasonably good but they have been torched by injury.

As a team the Oilers look really tight right now, afraid to make a mistake.

They have Florida and Philadelphia two sucky teams on this trip. They need need need to win those games.

This ^^ is the voice of reason.

Avatar
#193 Ryan2
November 03 2013, 04:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
pkam wrote:

I am not sure if this is a coach problem.

If your player cannot win a 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 puck battle 80% of the time, what are you going to do? Do you send another guy to help hoping we can win the puck with one extra player, or just let the other team take the puck 80% of the time?

I disagree with you re: this being a coach problem. IF this roster is more talented than the one last year (it definitely is on the blue line), then how did the supposedly ineffective Kruger get better results?

A more experienced coach would have assessed the roster after being announced and develop a system that fits the players. Eakins did the opposite - he took a Junior or AHL system for a strong team and tried to apply it to a weak NHL team. Now we get to see if he can adapt the system to better fit his team, which is what a good coach would do........

Avatar
#194 BigE91
November 03 2013, 04:29PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I keep reading ON, following along on twitter waiting for something good to happen. I'm now resigned to the fact that the day when the ship is righted is not coming. This owner has his tree fort and he doesn't care.

I actually like what Eakins has been doing and I think a few changes in personnel would go a long way. And I'm not talking about Hemsky or 3rd or 4th line guys. One of Hall, Eberle, Schultz or Yakupov have to be the sacrificial lamb.

As it stands now, this organization won't see any of my money for tickets or merchandise for a very long time. The City of Edmonton was held hostage in arena negotiations and now the shoe is on the other foot and Katz and Co. aren't stepping up and providing a product that the City and fans can get behind. It's horrendous.

Except for the fact that if they left Edmonton would not see another NHL team for 50+ years I can't see any reason why we wouldn't have let this lousy group of slackers fly the coupe when there was a chance.

Signed,

another fan just venting and unlikely to look away from this car wreck!

Avatar
#195 pkam
November 03 2013, 05:11PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Rob Gilgan wrote:

Why should any of them care? (DKatz, KLowe, MacT, DEakins, the players….) They’re all making lots of money producing a disgrace. Just like the Leafs, for decades. You don’t need to win the Stanley Cup to make millions in Edmonton or Toronto, or to maintain a sell-out fan base. None of them are the problem. We are. As long as we watch play and pay, they don’t have to change a thing. When the owners weren’t happy, they shut the doors. That’s the only thing the fans can do to respond - and if Oilers fans have any jam at all - the next home game will have a minimum of 10,000 with Rexall bags on their heads. Want to make some money like DKatz, KLowe, MacT, DEakins, the players? Print those bags.

"They don't have to change a thing?"

Not sure what you are talking about. We change the owner in 2008. We have changed the GM last year. We also changed 4 head coaches in 5 years. The current roster has only 2 players from the 2010 roster. And we have 8 new players just the last off season.

Other than KLowe, 2 assistant coaches, Hemsky and Smid, everything has changed. Do you mean we have to fire Joey Moss too?

Avatar
#196 They're $hittie
November 03 2013, 05:59PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

They're $hitty

Avatar
#197 bwar
November 03 2013, 06:32PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I would like to put my name in the hat to be the Oilers next head coach. I guarantee immediate improvement over the current record and performance. At worst I will at least pay attention to the game and attempt to find solutions when things have gone awry.

Avatar
#198 elpolodiablo
November 04 2013, 03:07AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Lowetide

I think i'd rather fire Eakins then trade one of the kids. You'll be getting pennies on the dollars. I was reading Rick Patino's book very interesting comments he said he had a lack of hubris when he took the celtics job because of his success at the NCAA level. I think Eakins is similar he needs to fail and lose a job to gain some hubris. MacT fired Krueger and brought in Eakins, he said when he did it it either will be judged as a success or failure. I think he should cut his losses and fire the coach rather than double down and trade a player. I think Lowetide and people who defend Eakins are being stubborn (I'm not trying to be argumentative) however a new coach costs you nothing but dollars, losing a young player in a trade on pennies on a dollar can set you back years. It's time to cut the losses and fire the coach

Avatar
#199 Mo Playoffs Mo Problems
November 04 2013, 08:39AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@elpolodiablo

"he needs to fail and lose a job to gain some hubris"

Hubris: an excess of ambition, pride, etc., ultimately causing the transgressor's ruin.

I think what you mean is that in your opinion, Eakins is already full of hubris and he needs to lose his job to gain some humility?

Avatar
#200 oilerjed
November 04 2013, 11:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL wrote:

Trade Hall ( receive 1st round pick plus journeyman third- fourth liner) Trade Eberle ( receive 1st round pick ) Trade Nuge ( receive 1st round pick ) Trade yakapov ( receive 1st round pick )

And start over this is not working

Thats a special kind of stupid that is.

Comments are closed for this article.