Linus Omark Recalled

Jonathan Willis
November 06 2013 08:01AM

So. That happened.

It feels like it's been a long time coming, but the Oilers have decided to call-up Linus Omark.

The Lineup

The interesting item here (or at least one of them) is the timing. Ryan Smyth played last night, which went some distance toward neutralizing the Oilers' need for a left wing. Here's what the forward lines looked like against Florida:

• Hemsky - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
  • Smyth - Gagner - Yakupov
  • Jones - Gordon - Arcobello
  • Gazdic - Acton - Eager

Where does Omark fit in that group, and who comes out for him?

The first task is to find him a spot in the top-nine, and that seems pretty straight-forward even if we assume no injury. The fourth line struggled badly last night, and I'd guess that Ben Eager rotates out and Ryan Jones moves down to right wing. Smyth gets bumped down to the third line with Gordon and Arcobello, and Omark slots in with Gagner and Yakupov on an all-offence line.

There are other ways to do it, but there seems at least to be a spot for him in the rotation.

The window for Omark to make an impression is narrow here: Taylor Hall and Jesse Joensuu and David Perron are all out of the lineup with injury, and if even one or two of them get back and Omark hasn't done much he'll be on his way back to the farm.

More to Come?

Rumour has it the Oilers and the New York Rangers have been talking trade, with the Rangers in bad need of a skilled winger. Could it be that there's a trade in place for one of the Oilers' wings?

Because that's certainly one way to read this recall. If an Ales Hemsky (or maybe even Nail Yakupov) is heading out of town, there's suddenly a slot on a skill line that needs filling and Omark's the only really viable candidate for the role.

Maybe there's nothing more to this than the coach being unhappy with his lines and deciding those guys from the farm did such a nice job injecting some scoring into the lineup that it makes sense to add one more. But it's certainly possible that there's another shoe left to drop.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#2 Jeremy S.
November 06 2013, 08:10AM

Omark has been recalled so the Oilers can finally pull the trigger on that Shea Weber deal. It is about time!

#3 smytty's halfclapper
November 06 2013, 08:55AM

Can anyone clear this up for me - why don't we have Arcobello playing center and Gagner on the wing? Gagner won 22% of draws last night, and 9% the game before. He's not a great skater, and while Arcobello isn't much better, he does have more of a presence at the faceoff dot.

I cringe every time Gags takes an O-zone draw, especially on the PP... wasted chance!

#5 TigerUnderGlass
November 06 2013, 10:44AM
DSF wrote:

Stamkos posted those numbers as an 18 year old...Yakupov is 20.

When Stamkos was 19, he scored 51G 44A 95P

When Stamkos was 20, he scored 45G 46A 91P

Also worth noting, Nail Yakupov has the worst plus/minus in the NHL at -13.

...and Dustin Penner has the best +/- in the league. What is your point exactly?

The argument that Yakupov is a bust because he hasn't destroyed the league before completing a whole season is absurd.

#6 Ales Hallsky
November 06 2013, 08:42AM

I like to think to myself, "self, maybe they are bringing him up because at least he tries to win battles in the corners"

#7 Benny Botts
November 06 2013, 08:33AM

•Omark - Gagner - Yakupov

That is an absolute D-Zone nightmare! If those 3 are a line they better only be getting offensive starts and facing some soft competition on the other end. Yikes..

#8 NJ
November 06 2013, 10:17AM

RE Yakupov getting traded.

79 Games. 23 Goals. 23 Assists.

Those are Steven Stamkos rookie year stats.

Until Yak has AT LEAST 82 games under his belt, he gets a pass in EVERY way. He competes more than most on the oilers and the days that he doesn't seem lost, he shows some brilliant flashes. One day he'll learn to use his team mates to set him up and it'll be one time city all night long.

Currently he is ahead of Stamkos statistically (in rookie year, 82 game comparison)... to part with him now may be us parting with a future 40 or even 50+ goal scorer.

I'd rather see Eberle go than see Yak go. We know exactly what Eberle is and brings, and while he is probably a 30 goal scorer on a good team and I've always loved him being Mr. Clutch... Yak hits and shows REAL passion. I believe in a couple years, he'll be that transformed number one guy with more size than he currently has and he'll be every goalie's nightmare.

SO. Unless a #1 d man is coming back (Seth Jones would be a good fit, but I prefer him playing with Shea Weber for the year), Yak should stay and any of Eberle, Hemsky, Gagner and whatever d prospects should be on the trade block.

My .02.

#9 shanetrain
November 06 2013, 08:26AM

I give up trying to figure out what the hell these knuckleheads are doing.

Indifference is bliss.

#10 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 06 2013, 10:41AM
DSF wrote:

Stamkos posted those numbers as an 18 year old...Yakupov is 20.

When Stamkos was 19, he scored 51G 44A 95P

When Stamkos was 20, he scored 45G 46A 91P

Also worth noting, Nail Yakupov has the worst plus/minus in the NHL at -13.

This is a completely valid point. Age is a very good indicator of true talent. That's why you don't evaluate "rookies" (for example) when one is 18 and the other is 24 (unless you are giving away meaningless awards).

Age is a great caveat to this conversation. As are birth month and things like lockouts.

All that said, we need to add even more caveats and ask why you are making the four month difference in age between the two do so much work here? It makes your analysis sketchy at best and certainly clouds the value of it.

A couple of factual questions for you: what counts as a player's "age year" for you?

Why not simply use "draft year +"?

#11 TigerUnderGlass
November 06 2013, 10:46AM

@Romulus' Apotheosis

Why not simply use "draft year +"?

Because that doesn't help him here. He will do so when it is beneficial, not before.

#12 oilerjed
November 06 2013, 08:24AM

I wonder if Sather wants to have an NHL look at Linus before he gets thrown in with a package?

#13 2004Z06
November 06 2013, 11:22AM
David S wrote:

I tried to prop the living h3ll out of this comment but alas only one got through.

Gagner shouldn't really be playing. It was pretty obvious last night that with even a slight bump in his face he's in real pain (which I suspect is why he can't forecheck right now). On top of which he has that stupid full-face shield which is no doubt throwing him off. Tough little bastard if you ask me. I've gained alot of respect for Sam over the last couple of games.

Half the guys here call in sick if they wake up with the sniffles.

I think Sam's eagerness to return had more to do with Arcobello eating his lunch than anything else.

I have a lot of respect for Sam's compete level, but as I have stated many times, his defensive liabilities and lack of faceoff prowess do not make him a centerman. he is better off on the wing, or used in a package deal for a trade.

The guy bleeds copper and blue, but this team does not get better with him at 1C or 2C.

#14 Word
November 06 2013, 10:54AM
DSF wrote:

Stamkos posted those numbers as an 18 year old...Yakupov is 20.

When Stamkos was 19, he scored 51G 44A 95P

When Stamkos was 20, he scored 45G 46A 91P

Also worth noting, Nail Yakupov has the worst plus/minus in the NHL at -13.

Everybody pay attention! DSF has enlightened us with the absolute fact that age trumps experience. Ergo, Gagner is awesome again!

#15 Spydyr
November 06 2013, 08:25AM

Please drop the other shoe. This team is in terrible need of heart, grit and some mean. Let it be Hemsky or Gagner gone.

I would also love to see Dubnyk waving goodbye like he waved at the third Florida goal last night.

#16 Spydyr
November 06 2013, 08:38AM
Benny Botts wrote:

•Omark - Gagner - Yakupov

They better score five because the other team is going to score four.

#17 Lochenzo
November 06 2013, 09:32AM
GriffCity wrote:

I dont mind this call up. I liked what we saw in Pitlick but he got injured in the PHX game and I hope Omark can contribute. Who is getting sent out of town? It better not be Ales Hemsky, this guy had dont everything he has been asked this year, including sacrificing his body to block shots. I am hoping that we will see Yakupov sent to NYC for Del Zotto. I really wanted Yak to turn into that Bure type player but I dont think he will and frankly, we dont have time to wait for his development to maybe happen or not. I would hate to see Hemsky go at this point, I do not think he is part of the problem.

I'm greedy. For me to part ways with Yak, I want one of the Rangers' top pairs, Ryan McDonaugh. Del Zotto is a great Dman, but he's currently in a 3/4 pair.

#18 madjam
November 06 2013, 08:07AM

No surprise I suppose , as call ups seem to be doing more than incumbents .

#19 Keon14
November 06 2013, 08:23AM

Gagner and Yak have been a disaster. Why would a defensive minded coach such as Eakins put these two together? Does adding Omark to the line make defensive sense? Would it not make more sense to put Gagner on the wing with Gordon at center? Can anyone explain Eakins thinking?

#20 Shooter
November 06 2013, 08:32AM

Perfect. The Oil are badly in need of an undersized, offensive minded forward who doesn't back check. What the hell, bring him up. This is just another example of how poorly constructed this organization is. It's ok for a team to have a couple guys like that. Tampa has St. Louis, Chicago has Kane, Dallas has Ray Whitney. But with Oil it's three full lines worth of wimpy, gritless, undersized stick handlers. No team in the NHL ever won a cup with a team like this. No team in the NHL ever made the playoffs with a team like this.

Great win in Florida last night by the way. Way to hold a lead. Now all they have to do is win 19 more in a row and they're back in contention.

Here's the new chant I hope the fans start doing at Rexall.

"Kevin Lowe has got to go, Kevin Lowe has got to go, Kevin Lowe has got to go!"

#21 Lochenzo
November 06 2013, 09:22AM
Doomoil wrote:

He's not eligible to go down to OKC and would have to return to Juniors.

Wow, he's still junior eligible?!?! I hope everyone realizes just how young he still is. He's not getting the slack that Hall, Eberle and RNH received as they went through their growing pains in their first 82 games in the league.

#22 David S
November 06 2013, 10:39AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Just a personal observation here. I know it's fashionable to slam smaller players that aren't overtly physical as gritless, gutless wimps.

But I can't help noticing that Sam Gagner has come back early from a broken jaw, and the last few years has done things like fight to avenge a dirty hit.

I can't help noticing that Ales Hemsky throwing himself into a shot block and then making a pass from his knees started the rush that led to Taylor Fedun's goal last night.

I couldn't help noticing Linus Omark gritting through a vicious hit to the head, then multiple leg injuries and keep playing. It was funny talking to the guy after the game, with ice-packs strapped at various places, and listening to him explain how frustrated he was - not that he was taking a beating, but that he was generating chances and they weren't turning into goals.

I get that the Oilers are lopsided in favour of guys that lack size and perhaps cheat a little too frequently for offence. I get that sticking a Wayne Simmonds-type in the lineup rather than an Ales Hemsky-type would add an extra dimension that the team is currently lacking.

But for the most part, I don't get the attacks on the character of these guys. Yes, Gagner and Omark and Hemsky are all on the small side, and all can be frustrating to watch at times. But do we really believe they're terribly lacking in heart?

Half the guys here call in sick if they wake up with the sniffles.

#23 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 06 2013, 09:30AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Remember that embarrassing display by the Flyers vs. the Caps?

You know, where the Flyers got destroyed 7-0?

Where they managed to lose two key top 6 forwards to injury in some futile display of toughness:

Yea… that game.

Now create a Venn Diagram in your head.

In one circle put people that watched that game and identified with the Flyers and consoled themselves with words like "they put up a fight" "they weren't going to get pushed around" etc.

In the other circle put EDM media personalities and fans committed to not simply improving the Oilers but specifically to the faith that "toughness" in and of itself is an improvement.

Want to bet on how large the overlap is?

#24 bubba
November 06 2013, 08:52AM

GREGOR!!! Omark recalled!! If he scores you better be wearing one of Strudwick's Sweaters!!!

#25 Vaclav
November 06 2013, 01:01PM
DSF wrote:

Of course the lockout makes things a little wonky but there's nothing that can be done about that.

I think the "garbage time" aspect of Yakupov's rookie season IS something that needs a closer look.

He scored 34 NHL points last season with 10G and 15P coming in April.

His shooting percentage in April was 30.3%.

Clearly an unsustainable run for anyone.

You're right. You should look at the "garbage time" aspect of his rookie season a bit closer.

In April Yakupov scored: 3G 1A against a Wild squad fighting for their playoff lives

1 G against Chicago who went 10-4 in the month

1 G against Phoenix who were still in the playoff chase

1 A against each of LA and Anaheim who were fighting for playoff positioning

3G 1A against the Flames which are never garbage games as far as intensity goes

3G against the Vancouver Canucks ECHL affiliate albeit with Luongo in net

So if we ignore the Vancouver game he still scored 8G 4A in 13 meaningful games. Keep beating that "garbage time" drum DSF.

#26 Starving Student
November 06 2013, 09:17AM

WHO'S PLAYING IN OKC?!

#27 mrBacon
November 06 2013, 09:23AM

I had the most terrible nightmare where the Oilers were so bad that they actually had to call up Linus Omark.

May God help us all.

#28 David S
November 06 2013, 12:18PM
2004Z06 wrote:

Do you want to give up a 65 point 2LC? Because that's what Gagner is now.

If you want a guy the size of say Boyd Gordon with the same faceoff abilities who can also put up those kind of points points, join the lineup. Every team in the league wants more of those players.

Trade Gagner and you need to get back at least as much in scoring. It won't happen because those guys are either locked down or far more expensive. Not to mention every freaking team in the league knows that's what we need. There's simply no deals out there where we won't get taken to the woodshed or I have to believe MacT would have already pulled the trigger.

#29 Mr common sense
November 06 2013, 08:59AM

Steve Ott

#30 GriffCity
November 06 2013, 09:26AM

#31 bwar
November 06 2013, 10:49AM

Yakupov straight across for Rick Nash. Immediately after the trade, Rick Nash calls a press conference to announce his retirement.

#32 The Towel Boy
November 06 2013, 08:11AM

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#33 Spydyr
November 06 2013, 09:00AM
smytty's halfclapper wrote:

It is because he is the coach's son. Oh wait that is the other lousy center. You are exactly right IMO.

#34 Spydyr
November 06 2013, 09:03AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

They are hockey players. Professional NHL players. It is expected , that is why they are millionaires. Guys do the same stuff in a beer league for pride and their teammates. Something the Oilers could use. Playing and standing up for each other.

#35 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 06 2013, 09:54AM
Deep Insider wrote:

Wrong!!! Big Oiler-Ranger trade going down in hours - involves 8-10 players in total!

No, no… the entire 23 man roster of both teams is being swapped and then swapped again, but the second time only 22 players are swapped, one remaining (like in musical chairs). they'll do that 22 more times until they are back to where they started except they will have exchanged vendors.

#36 Spoils
November 06 2013, 10:03AM
smytty's halfclapper wrote:

Why not just have Arco take the key draws as a winger? People get tossed out of the circle all the time.

At least until his numbers go up.

#37 DSF
November 06 2013, 12:27PM
David S wrote:

Do you want to give up a 65 point 2LC? Because that's what Gagner is now.

65 points?

What?

Gagner has never broken 50 in 6 years in the NHL and sure isn't going to do it this season.

#38 Keon14
November 06 2013, 09:10AM
Doomoil wrote:

He's not eligible to go down to OKC and would have to return to Juniors.

Oh - RNH played in OKC last year vs returning to junior!

#39 DSF
November 06 2013, 11:10AM
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Who exactly, said he was a bust?

#40 shanetrain
November 06 2013, 11:12AM

@DSF

You are going to compare Yak to Stamkos?

Ok. Elite company.

However, I do not see a Lecavalier or St Louis on Edmonton's roster.

#41 Talbot17
November 06 2013, 08:07AM

When i saw he was recalled, the music off of Step Brothers when Will Farrell looks at Dale's drums went off in my head.

#42 The Towel Boy
November 06 2013, 08:11AM

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#43 Todd
November 06 2013, 09:59AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Slow clap. Well said.

#44 Zarny
November 06 2013, 02:33PM
DSF wrote:

Stamkos posted those numbers as an 18 year old...Yakupov is 20.

When Stamkos was 19, he scored 51G 44A 95P

When Stamkos was 20, he scored 45G 46A 91P

Also worth noting, Nail Yakupov has the worst plus/minus in the NHL at -13.

Stamkos also had St. Louis passing him the puck and still had Vinnie on the other line.

Age is a factor but experience counts for far more and Yak has only played 63 games.

Take a look at Tavares' numbers...I guess he's just a hack because he didn't put up 50 G in his 2nd year.

Oh and how did you like Galchenyuk looking like a lost puppy when Mon moved him to C the other night?

#45 Ales Hallsky
November 06 2013, 08:56PM

Barrrffff. This dsf arguing is worse than a kassian two hander to the chops and a potter skate to skull stomp.

#46 Duke
November 06 2013, 08:56AM

I can't figure this move out at all. There is no arguing the consensus that the Oilers need to do something to get bigger, instead we keep on getting smaller.

Id Robbie Schremp still available? He's probably next.

#47 Keon14
November 06 2013, 08:57AM

Jon: do you know if Yak has to clear waivers to be sent down to OKC? If not, then a stint in OKC could boost his confidence.

#48 Mr common sense
November 06 2013, 08:58AM
Spydyr wrote:

They better score five because the other team is going to score four.

Wow, the shortest, physically weakest and worst defensive line in the history of the NHL

#49 Spydyr
November 06 2013, 08:58AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Let's compromise.

You can have heart, grit and some mean if I can banish the entire fourth line to the minors where they belong and they're replaced with actual NHL players.

I like compromise and have no argument concerning the fourth line going. Even with the fourth line replaced the team still needs functional toughness in the top six. At least two players who have some nasty and can play the game.

#50 DSF
November 06 2013, 10:26AM
NJ wrote:

RE Yakupov getting traded.

79 Games. 23 Goals. 23 Assists.

Those are Steven Stamkos rookie year stats.

My .02.

Stamkos posted those numbers as an 18 year old...Yakupov is 20.

When Stamkos was 19, he scored 51G 44A 95P

When Stamkos was 20, he scored 45G 46A 91P

Also worth noting, Nail Yakupov has the worst plus/minus in the NHL at -13.