Report: Philadelphia Flyers inquire about Jordan Eberle

Jonathan Willis
November 08 2013 01:19PM

According to Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia, the Flyers talked to the Oilers today about the possibility of acquiring Jordan Eberle.

The Tweets

Is Eberle Tradable?

The short answer in my view: yes.

Nobody would deny the Oilers have significant problems. Those problems are so significant that it might be necessary to trade high-end talent from one position to add help at another position. It doesn’t make sense to so that with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, because he’s the only hope the team has as a first-line centre. It doesn’t make sense to do that with Taylor Hall, the best player on the team and the only elite talent at left wing.

That leaves right wing, where Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov both play. In the right deal, either of those guys is moveable – regardless of what the team says. That’s not to say that the team should shop either guy, or that they’re looking to move either of them, but a trade that makes the team better without robbing Peter to pay Paul is plausible, if the guy getting traded plays right wing.

Is Eberle Tradable to Philadelphia?

Again, the short answer in my view: yes.

But there’s a caveat attached. The player has to be a high-end talent right now. That means that no package of Braydon Coburn and/or Wayne Simmonds and/or Scott Hartnell and/or Luke Schenn and/or draft picks and prospects or whatever. Trading down to address immediate need is a good way to kneecap the Oilers long-term. So no third defencemen or big second-line wingers can form the core of a decent Eberle trade.

Does Philadelphia have the high-end talent? I think you can make a case for three players. I don’t think either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier gets the job done right now. I have a lot of time for Couturier but I’m skeptical about his finishing ability and I think you can get more for Eberle on the open market. Schenn’s only a year younger than Eberle and significantly behind the same career curve.

That leaves Claude Giroux. Giroux is one of the best players in the game today, and for my money he’s a better player than Eberle by a nontrivial margin. He can play centre or wing. He doesn’t address the Oilers’ positional needs, but when an opportunity exists to trade in a very good player for a great player, it’s an opportunity that needs to be taken advantage of. For the Oilers, the possibility of having one line built on Giroux/Hall and another on Nugent-Hopkins/Yakupov long-term would have to be extremely tempting.

Does the opportunity exist? With any other team, I’d say ‘no’; with the Flyers it’s just ‘probably not.’ Giroux is getting killed by the percentages this year (his line is shooting at just over 5 percent and Philadelphia has a 0.875 save percentage with him on the ice at even-strength). The 11.5 percent career shooter has zero goals on 31 shots, as well as a minus-11 rating in 15 games. Most teams would rightly dismiss that as an aberration, but the Flyers are under tremendous pressure and have a history of making quick, franchise-altering moves.

If there’s an opportunity to acquire Claude Giroux, Eberle’s a justifiable cost. Otherwise, it’s hard to see a defensible deal here.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 laughing pug
November 08 2013, 01:30PM

I'm sobbing uncontrollably with my knees pulled up to my chin, but I keep mouthing the words "do it..." Oh god I hate myself.

#2 Eulers
November 08 2013, 01:22PM

Wanye is going to freak...

#3 camdog
November 08 2013, 02:01PM

@mlcselli

Giroux at 8.3 million until the year 2022 is not a "can't go wrong" move.

#4 RexHolez
November 08 2013, 01:48PM

Why in the heck would Philly trade giroux for eberle??

#5 ubermiguel
November 08 2013, 01:26PM

Make that deal.

#6 Fresh Mess
November 08 2013, 01:53PM

Eberle, Hall and Yakupov for Chris Pronger.

#7 bdiddy18
November 08 2013, 01:36PM

the push come to shove moment and all oiler fans cave ....no BOLD no! ..its ok lets not do it!

DO IT - Giroux welcome to Edmonton.

#9 Eddie Shore
November 08 2013, 02:58PM

From Tim Panaccio's twitter...

@tpanotchCSN: The Flyers can ask for Eberle all they want ... the guy they can get back from EDM is really Ales Hemsky

#10 Batfink
November 08 2013, 05:02PM

Guys, stop with throwing O'Mark in the deal with Philly. Everyone knows he is pivotal to the blockbuster Weber deal....

#11 D
November 08 2013, 01:26PM

I feel Eberle for Giroux is a bad deal for the Oilers.

#12 Towersofdub
November 08 2013, 02:38PM

yeah...edmonton needs a #1 defenseman, and apparently some goaltending, before they need Claude Giroux...decent player he may be, but with him,or without him, that third goal still goes in last night.

#14 MessyEH!
November 08 2013, 02:35PM

Now, I wonder how many other teams are pitching offers on Eberle.

I have said it here several times before. Eberle is the piece, that brings the rest of the pieces. I don't like it. I love 14. But tough decisions need to be made.

#15 BLAKPOO
November 08 2013, 01:52PM
laughing pug wrote:

Consider this reply an extra 'props'

#16 Number99
November 08 2013, 03:09PM

@Dumb

Dude, no need for derogatory comments, just talk hockey.

#17 gongshow
November 08 2013, 01:49PM

I love Ebs, but please let this be true.

#18 Hemmercules
November 08 2013, 02:09PM

The entire league knows the Oilers are looking for help/upgrades. Just because Philly put in a call about Ebs doesn't mean anything. My guess is Mact is taking calls daily about lots of his players. The only reason this is news is because philly makes unexpected trades sometimes.

#19 Smokey
November 08 2013, 02:00PM

Any deal with Philly for Eberle begins with a center. They got no defence we want. I don't buy its Giroux, because getting rid of him puts Philly in full rebuild mode, and they are trying to augment their lineup with a sniper and shake things up. Any deal for an elite center you would have to make in heartbeat. Giroux has been off this year, but he was essentially a lock to play for team Canada.

I'd do Eberle and a defenceman and prospect for Simmonds and Couturier. Other then that I don't see hypotheticals worth discussing. Eberle plus parts for Giroux would be unreal. Doubt it would happen. I'd stop saying fire Kevin Lowe for at least a.week.

#20 Bishai in the Benches
November 08 2013, 01:26PM

There goes Jonathan Willis' job...

Unless the rumours are true and Wanye writes every article from his mom's basement, under different pseudonyms

#21 CaptainLander
November 08 2013, 02:11PM

Couturier, Simmonds, Coburn --> Ebs, Arcobello, Smid

#22 Toro
November 08 2013, 02:08PM

Eberle & Smid for Coburn , Simmonds , B.Schenn/ Couturier.... Too much NHL 14 for me? Or Plausable

#23 Alsker
November 08 2013, 05:50PM

@Slats

I think we got the point the first time...sheeesh

#24 Shredder
November 08 2013, 01:59PM

Bold? Yes. Upgrade? Slightly. Addressing our needs? No.

Seriously, can we start looking at trades that are going to be guys that we need? A big winger in Simmonds? Makes more sense...maybe we don't get the best player, but it addresses a need. So let's add to it...

Or maybe this is just like the Rangers rumors.

#26 Geoff
November 08 2013, 02:01PM

Why would philly even trade Giroux? Wouldn't the whole point of getting ebs in philly would be to play with giroux?

#27 Hemmercules
November 08 2013, 01:54PM

No way that trade happens straight across. I could see a package deal involving both players maybe, but still a long shot. I don't know if I could handle seeing Ebs in another jersey.

#28 Dallylamma
November 08 2013, 02:01PM

If I'm Philly I don't trade Giroux for our sweet boy Jordan straight up...and I'm almost as gay for Eberle as Wayne is...unless Giroux has demanded a trade or something and they are just trying to move him out ASAP.

However, if Giroux and Eberle are the centerpieces of a multi-player deal it might work great for both teams.

#29 Dumb
November 08 2013, 02:27PM
John Kirsch wrote:

Claude is good player but Ebs is better. Epic hype by this author saying he is great or one of "the best players in the game today" really. Claude is living off his playoff performance with Pitt a couple years back. He has been in the league for 7 years now and has only scored 20 or more goals twice, and this year he is goalless.

Giroux has been in the league for 3 1/2 seasons actually. Retard.

#30 Greg
November 08 2013, 05:05PM

Oh god.

When it comes to Lowe vs Burke, I think we all know who wins in the end.

#31 hockeycrazed
November 08 2013, 02:01PM

No! No! No! and No! Don't anybody move, keep your eyes on the ball!!! What is more pressing for the Oil? Goal Keep!!!! Goal-Keep!!! Goal-Keep! Unless you are overhauling the whole team, trading a forward for another forward is not going to change the fortunes for this team, albeit Eberle!?? He'd been the only constant in this Oiler team the past two years for crying out loud! He's probably had a bad game once in a while, and you gonna write him off?? No! not happening! If the Oil keep playing musical chair with their top players, they will forever be re-building, it's like covering 5 pots with four tops......

#32 Kosmo Kraemer
November 08 2013, 02:03PM

The area of most need is the defense. The Oilers will grab another goalie, who of course will not live up to his billing, one who will be worse than Dubes. Then the whining will continue and none of the problems will be fixed.

#33 Old School G
November 08 2013, 02:57PM

Wayne Simmonds is a whole lot of exactly what we need BUT we should not have to give up Eberle to get him. MacT we're waiting for something here. Give the Oilers faithful something to be excited about we deserve it.

#34 Sidney Frosby
November 08 2013, 05:00PM

Mac-T just traded Smid for my toilet plunger.....

Horrible move to make room for signing Bryz...

Mac-T wasted cap room and contracts on Labarbara and Grebeshkov.

I don't think this guy is cut out for this job.

If we didn't have god awful Ferrence, Grebeshkov, and Labarbie contracts, we could have moved Smid for a Willie Mitchell or Anton Volchenkov.

Sounds like we got Roman Horak and a ECHL goalie.

#35 Mikey
November 08 2013, 07:23PM
Chris wrote:

Would Eberle + Gagner be an overpay for giroux?

I think so. Partially because you are trading two for one, when we need actual nhl players

#36 steelymac
November 08 2013, 01:44PM

I really like Vorachek.

#37 Gusset
November 08 2013, 01:45PM

If you think philly is trading giroux for eberle, you are crazy. That's a massive miscalculation of eberles ability. Giroux is on par with stamkos, malkin, Nash, etc. if philly is looking at eberle it's to play on a line with giroux to get him going. My take is cobourne would be the centre of the deal coming back

#38 Chongler
November 08 2013, 02:06PM
Fresh Mess wrote:

Eberle, Hall and Yakupov for Chris Pronger.

The Oilers basically did trade Pronger for Eberle & Smid (And I guess eventually Eager)...Does this count?

#39 John Kirsch
November 08 2013, 02:23PM
D wrote:

I feel Eberle for Giroux is a bad deal for the Oilers.

#40 The Swarm
November 08 2013, 02:43PM

Keep the roster as it is and change the system. How many goals have the Oilers scored off the cycle? How often do they have teams hemmed in their end? Not many on both counts, so why do they continually dump the puck in and hope their small forwards can retrieve it with any regularity?

I know MacT is loath to use the trap, but the last time I checked it seemed to work pretty well against Detroit back when they went to the finals.

If you have speedy, smallish, talented forwards you are far better off trapping and creating neutral zone turnovers. Most Oiler goals seem to be scored off the rush and this is exactly what you get when you trap - lots of odd man rushes. No one in the league can complete with the Oilers on their ability to finish odd man rushes, but you'd never know because they are too busy trying to stick check much larger D-men deep in the opponents end.

Screw the forecheck - it's high time Oilers trapped - one guy in, four guys back.

#41 Shredder
November 08 2013, 04:10PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

How hard is it to find a big, second-line winger? Pretty difficult, right?

Now: How hard is it to find a first line RW who isn't even in the prime of his career yet?

That's why you don't move Eberle for a package centered on Simmonds, no matter how it's sweetened. Trading down, even to address need, hurts the team in the long-term.

There's a reason Chicago kept Patrick Kane and let Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien go. Because it's easier to find Bryan Bicekll and Brandon Saad than it is to find a new Patrick Kane (and, to quickly clarify - Eberle isn't Kane, but the point here is you keep the parts that really matter, not the ones that you can replace).

Let me just start this post by saying that Eberle is a guy I'd like to keep, and him and Nuge are the 2 I'd build around over other parts...

Now that being said, if we have an abundance of the same thing, but need a different mix, then we have to trade pieces that are going to seem like we're giving up the best player. I guess the debate is which guy of Hall/Nuge/Ebs/Gags/Yak/Schultz to we get rid of. Which ones are parts that really matter as you say? I'd say Ebs is as tradeable as any of them. What's the return? Well it has to be of equal or greater value than what you're giving up. Simmonds may be of lesser value...but if the combo of top 6 forward with size is so easy, why are we having so much trouble getting it? It seems we're having an easier time getting guys like Ebs than guys like Simmonds. Why are guys like Clarkson getting so much in free trade? There's a value that isn't measureable in just offensive stats (or advanced stats), and that physical stats goes a bit further.

Boston clearly lost the Joe Thornton trade. Who has had the better chance at winning the cup since then? Maybe there's more to these bit pieces than we think. If we were to acquire enough of these bit pieces, that are going to be part of the team long enough, that end up fixing the 3rd and 4th lines or defensive pairings...wouldn't it be worth it?

Everything has a price, and while I wouldn't target Eberle to ship out of town, if there was a deal around Simmonds + + + that had good value to the Oilers, and made them a better 'team' - then I'd do it.

#42 Batfink
November 08 2013, 05:07PM

OMG what a terrible trade. How many times, you DO NOT make stupid trades in your own division. Especially to them D1cKz down the QE2. I hope Smid is a sleeper and destroys the flames from the inside.

#43 Wohin gehst du?
November 08 2013, 01:44PM

How good is Giroux without the puck in comparison to Eberle? Do you think maybe it could be something like:

Eberle, Omark, and 2nd Rounder for Giroux and Simmonds?

Obviously biased towards Oilers, but Paul Holmgren.

#44 YakupovFirst
November 08 2013, 02:24PM

Yakupov is the first on of the young skill to go. Eberle is too important to EDM. Yakupov is the odd man out. Eakins is a retard and not the GM. If MacT got a offer he couldn't refuse than Yak is gone in a heartbeat.

#45 The Swarm
November 08 2013, 02:28PM

Let's face it, if the Oilers received average goaltending this season (say closer to .920) we would not be talking about the rest of the roster and a failed rebuild, so please don't consider breaking up the core on account of 1 month of shoddy goaltending. Fix the goaltending situation by offering future picks.

#46 Greasy Goal
November 08 2013, 02:28PM

Is Claude Giroux worth the 8.275 mill per year? Some would say no. However, being in the West I havent been able to see him play on a nightly bases and I do know what he does when playoffs roll around. Im torn between pulling the deal and shaking things up and keeping what we have and looking for a number 1 D-man. Ps.I know that if a deal is made that the Oilers will be able to make another, but it will be more difficult to find that #1 guy on defense with one less piece on the table.

#47 Taylor Gang
November 08 2013, 02:34PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

How hard is it to find a big, second-line winger? Pretty difficult, right?

Normally I'd agree with you.

Unfortunately, we are in a position where the only thing with value on our team/we actually can afford to give up are pieces that nobody wants. As bad as it sounds, we might have no choice but to trade Ebs or someone else for pieces that round out the team better. If Ebs is the piece needed to get a great third liner and a top 4 defenseman, so be it.

#48 Taylor Gang
November 08 2013, 02:36PM
A-Mc wrote:

Cherry picking a deal done by a failure of a GM, doesn't really support your position.

Team needs are team needs. If MacT determines that a bigger scoring winger and a top 4 D man are more crucial to team success than 1 small scoring winger, then i wouldn't be surprised if he makes that deal. Personally i think the flyers would say HELL NO to a Eberle for Simmonds/Coburn deal but i can't be certain of that as i dont get to sit in on the conference calls.

Eberle + Picks for Giroux is just more of the same.. Except Giroux comes with an 8.275 caphit starting right quick here.. And that kind of scratch is attrocious considering the team still needs a #1/2 D and a true #1 goalie.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

#49 Oilfan
November 08 2013, 02:53PM

If it was me that had to choose, id rather trade Yak.

#50 mlcselli
November 08 2013, 01:38PM

OMG--what a dilemma we have if there is substance to this. We all agree something has to be done. If we think of the player, we want Eberle with us; but if we think of the team, we need some improvements. Definitely can't go wrong with Giroux in the lineup. Can't decide if #14 is worth the sacrifice. If I had to make the decision, I have to give the team a chance to win and a goal tender would be coming here.