Disaster

Jonathan Willis
November 09 2013 03:09PM

The Edmonton Oilers had a chance on Saturday to pick up two points from one of the league's worst teams. They had healthy bodies back, the Flyers had lost two straight, and this game represented a real opportunity to start things turning around after a strong effort in a win over Florida and a stronger one in a loss to Tampa Bay.

It didn't happen.

Losing Badly

It's not just that the Oilers lost, or who they lost against, but how they lost. Some fans will want to place the blame on Devan Dubnyk - who was actually reasonably solid until that fourth goal - or on the referees for mistakenly assessing a major penalty against an innocent Anton Belov.

But the real problem was the skaters. The following chart shows on-ice scoring chances at even-strength for the Oilers forwards against Philadelphia, as counted by me.

Player EV+ EV- Percentage
Luke Gazdic 0 1 0.0%
Jordan Eberle 1 7 12.5%
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1 6 14.3%
Boyd Gordon 1 4 20.0%
Ryan Smyth 1 4 20.0%
Taylor Hall 4 8 33.3%
Jesse Joensuu 1 2 33.3%
Mark Arcobello 2 4 33.3%
Sam Gagner 4 6 40.0%
Ales Hemsky 5 7 41.7%
David Perron 3 3 50.0%
Nail Yakupov 2 1 66.7%

And for the defence:

Player EV+ EV- Percentage
Nick Schultz 1 6 14.3%
Taylor Fedun 1 5 16.7%
Andrew Ference 2 9 18.2%
Jeff Petry 2 7 22.2%
Philip Larsen 6 6 50.0%
Anton Belov 6 5 54.5%

For the most part, it was the Oilers' best players getting killed against the Flyers. Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall all had among the worst marks on the team in this regard. These are the guys that typically push results - and did last year, even as the rest of the team gave everything back and then some. On defence, the Oilers top pairing of Andrew Ference and Jeff Petry were lit up, too.

The Oilers play in Chicago tomorrow. It seems unlikely to go well.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#151 Overwatchedandunderpaid
November 09 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

Avatar
#152 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
November 09 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Nice.

Thank you. I think I'm sobering up now.

Avatar
#153 DSF
November 09 2013, 07:58PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Alsker wrote:

You`re a better man than me, there is no way I tune into a game unless the fLames are losing. It just hurts too much.

Watch some Big Boy Hockey ®

VCR @ LAK coming right up.

Avatar
#154 Oilcruzer
November 09 2013, 08:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@DSF

Duplicate

Avatar
#155 Oilcruzer
November 09 2013, 08:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@DSF

"Anyone who has played competitive sports will be able to tell you that confidence is a major factor in performance..."

100% agreed DSF.

I would go so far as to say "...confidence is the leading factor in performance in professional sports..."

Avatar
#156 DSF
November 09 2013, 08:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

"Anyone who has played competitive sports will be able to tell you that confidence is a major factor in performance..."

100% agreed DSF.

I would go so far as to say "...confidence is the leading factor in performance in professional sports..."

Yep.

But there are some folks who will tell you that, since it can't be measured, it isn't important.

You would think they would take the time to ask some athletes about that before proclaiming it a non factor.

Avatar
#157 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 08:08PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

There are many adjectives I would use to describe you.

Modest is very, very far down the list.

If there are many things that you can't know, what you can know is very much diminished in its import.

Anyone who has played competitive sports will be able to tell you that confidence is a major factor in performance...but I'm sure you will slough it off because you can't measure it.

Actually, it is the opposite.

The ability to bracket off noise and other unknowable things, greatly increases your knowledge.

Again, I haven't discounted "confidence." I'm discounting your ability to know how confident an individual player or team is at any given time and to know how that confidence will affect performance.

These are different things.

Avatar
#158 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 08:13PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Hey Rom, I have no issue with regression to the mean......I'm just asking that you and others in the Stats Pack, and I use the term respectfully, would give a little more consideration to qualifying the conclusions you draw from statistics, or perhaps more importantly, the conclusions you draw regarding events that are typically viewed as non statistical or unmeasurable. While these events may not fall in your bailiwick, they are real, and of sincere importance to others, like me.

I highly value the role age, experience, size, character, desire, courage, aggression, toughness, emotion, selflessness, coaching, player development, coordinated team play, etc have to play in the game. And to be summarily dismissive of these factors because we can't easily measure them is both closed minded and irritating.

So all I'm really asking is for a little awareness that this is how some people perceive the game and derive their enjoyment of the game.

Please and thank you, ORG

Once more.

1. I don't think anyone has drawn unqualified conclusions using stats here. I'm sure it has been done and I'm happy to tell you those people are overstepping what the evidence allows.

2. I don't discount "intangibles" or whathaveyou. I do however caution against over-stating variables highly prone to bias, i.e., interpreting a players' "body language" or "confidence." These are real things that actually affect performance. They are also narratives people often default into.

Avatar
#159 Hockey Problems
November 09 2013, 08:15PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Overwatchedandunderpaid wrote:

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

The problem is that the Oilers are TOO soft for almost any defensive strategy. 4 coaches. 1 problem. SOFT !!!

Nuge: Soft

Ebs: Soft

Hall: Soft

Yak: Soft

Gags: Soft

Hemsky: Soft

Arcobello: Soft

Jones: Soft

Petry: Soft

N. Schultz: Soft

J. Schultz: Soft

Larsen: Soft

What has been done in recent history to make this team harder to play against ?! Trade away Smid.

Trade away Brown.

Ya. Wow, teams are shakin in their boots !!

Avatar
#160 Hockey Problems
November 09 2013, 08:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Overwatchedandunderpaid wrote:

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

.

Avatar
#161 GK1980
November 09 2013, 08:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

When arev the kids going to realize this is NOT junior hockey. This is NHL hockey. We have too many HEROES who think they are the team and why shouldn't they be going from being all stars in junior now playing in the NHL. But hey they TRIED real hard tonight. Everyone gets a brown star for effort.

Avatar
#162 Hemmercules
November 09 2013, 08:32PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Hockey Problems

I have to agree with the overall softness. Is it too much to ask a guy to finish a check? You don't have to be big to check a guy and its not even about drilling guys every time. Give the guy a bump after he passes, let him know you're there. Way too many times they waste the opportunity and skate away. I see nuge checking more guys than eberle and hemsky and Gagner put together, that's weak. If only more of them played like Perron. I wouldn't say all the guys on that list are soft but not one of them is intimidating anyone physically.

Avatar
#163 DSF
November 09 2013, 08:32PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Once more.

1. I don't think anyone has drawn unqualified conclusions using stats here. I'm sure it has been done and I'm happy to tell you those people are overstepping what the evidence allows.

2. I don't discount "intangibles" or whathaveyou. I do however caution against over-stating variables highly prone to bias, i.e., interpreting a players' "body language" or "confidence." These are real things that actually affect performance. They are also narratives people often default into.

Of course the only one raising the body language straw man is you.

Avatar
#164 Serious Gord
November 09 2013, 08:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Overwatchedandunderpaid wrote:

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

Coaching is not the sole reason why this team is playing badly, but it is definitely a factor. The fact that Eakins is disappointing shouldn't come as a surprise - look at who hired him - the same set of cronies who hired the previous failures.

So let's not be stymied by past failures. The oil should make the changes needed whatever they might be. I bet you know where I would like to start...

Avatar
#165 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 08:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

Of course the only one raising the body language straw man is you.

????????????????

Avatar
#166 outdoorzguy
November 09 2013, 08:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

That's it. Just rush back to Rexall Place because you haven't seen the team live for for 5 games. Keep filling those seats. Keep filling Kat'z's pockets!!

Avatar
#167 Pete
November 09 2013, 08:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Do any of you turds ever go outside?

Avatar
#168 Harlie
November 09 2013, 08:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Thank you. I think I'm sobering up now.

As my buddy Corb says, 'it's time to switch to whiskey u been drinkin beer all night'

Avatar
#169 God
November 09 2013, 08:59PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I'm calling for Lowe, MacT & Eakins with the rest of the coaching staff to resign. Then we can begin a rebuild that keeps Perron, Gordon, Arcobello, Hall & Belov.

Avatar
#170 outdoorzguy
November 09 2013, 09:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Whenever Ryan Rishaug talks about Oiler players on the TV he refers to them with first and last names or last names only. But when he talks about them on local Edmonton radio he always uses first names only. Too close to the players Rishaug to be impartial? Are you a real live hockey card collector just like Katz?? Either way, this team sucks, and has sucked for the last 15 years. Is anything going to be done about it? I doubt it as long as everyone keeps going to the games and buying the jerseys. Wake up people, stay away, revolt, ask for what you deserve. I you keep putting $$$$$$ in the pockets of Vancouver Katz, he doesn't care. Boycott games, boycott Rexall Place, stop going to preferred Oiler restaurants and stop buying jerseys. MY GOD, WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

Avatar
#171 Pete
November 09 2013, 09:06PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
outdoorzguy wrote:

Whenever Ryan Rishaug talks about Oiler players on the TV he refers to them with first and last names or last names only. But when he talks about them on local Edmonton radio he always uses first names only. Too close to the players Rishaug to be impartial? Are you a real live hockey card collector just like Katz?? Either way, this team sucks, and has sucked for the last 15 years. Is anything going to be done about it? I doubt it as long as everyone keeps going to the games and buying the jerseys. Wake up people, stay away, revolt, ask for what you deserve. I you keep putting $$$$$$ in the pockets of Vancouver Katz, he doesn't care. Boycott games, boycott Rexall Place, stop going to preferred Oiler restaurants and stop buying jerseys. MY GOD, WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

Yeah, what he said. Usually when people b#tch about a product they stop using it. STOP USING IT!!

Avatar
#172 Phil
November 09 2013, 09:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

When does management get to go through their rebuild?

Avatar
#173 Shane
November 09 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Pete wrote:

Yeah, what he said. Usually when people b#tch about a product they stop using it. STOP USING IT!!

Weren't people saying after the lockout last year to boycott the league? How did that work out?

Avatar
#174 Shane
November 09 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Pete wrote:

Yeah, what he said. Usually when people b#tch about a product they stop using it. STOP USING IT!!

Weren't people saying after the lockout last year to boycott the league? How did that work out?

Avatar
#175 Shane
November 09 2013, 09:18PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Pete

Weren't people saying after the lockout last year to boycott the league? How did that work out?

Avatar
#176 **
November 09 2013, 09:19PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Bryzeee!!!!

Avatar
#177 God
November 09 2013, 09:20PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@God

These 4-2 games are irritating. I preferred it when they'd get lit up 5-0 and 4-0 by the Wings & Leafs. Hopefully the players revolt completely soon.

I guarantee that if you asked everyone in that dressingroom if they'd like to play in a different city. They'd all say definitely.

Avatar
#178 Harlie
November 09 2013, 09:24PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
outdoorzguy wrote:

Whenever Ryan Rishaug talks about Oiler players on the TV he refers to them with first and last names or last names only. But when he talks about them on local Edmonton radio he always uses first names only. Too close to the players Rishaug to be impartial? Are you a real live hockey card collector just like Katz?? Either way, this team sucks, and has sucked for the last 15 years. Is anything going to be done about it? I doubt it as long as everyone keeps going to the games and buying the jerseys. Wake up people, stay away, revolt, ask for what you deserve. I you keep putting $$$$$$ in the pockets of Vancouver Katz, he doesn't care. Boycott games, boycott Rexall Place, stop going to preferred Oiler restaurants and stop buying jerseys. MY GOD, WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!

You wake up. If that happens the team moves and the downtown dies again. The Oilers are the symbolical fabric of this city and the arena deal proves it.

There is lots of dough in this one horse town and Oil are big league. Otherwise we are Saskatoon and no one wants that. So get over it man, ain't gonna happen.

This city needs Katz and his daddy warbucks wallet and underachieving team and Katz knows it.

Get back in the dark room with the other mushrooms and wait for your feeding.

Avatar
#179 Hemmercules
November 09 2013, 09:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
God wrote:

These 4-2 games are irritating. I preferred it when they'd get lit up 5-0 and 4-0 by the Wings & Leafs. Hopefully the players revolt completely soon.

I guarantee that if you asked everyone in that dressingroom if they'd like to play in a different city. They'd all say definitely.

Ugh. We all know they are probably thinking it, at least some of them anyway. Way too depressing to even think about.

Avatar
#180 Rob Gilgan
November 09 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Overwatchedandunderpaid

"there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem"

Everything I've witnessed over the past three weeks leads me to conclude that it is, indeed the coach that's the problem. Confused, dispirited players - the stand out was Gagner, after taking a penalty easing himself back up the ice, not showing any inclination to back check. I think it's past time the 'smart money' in Oilersnation face the fact - Eakins isn't going to get it done. Not this year, not next. The only thing fuelling Oiler fans these days is a healthy dose of masochism.

Avatar
#181 Rob Gilgan
November 09 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Overwatchedandunderpaid

"there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem"

Everything I've witnessed over the past three weeks leads me to conclude that it is, indeed the coach that's the problem. Confused, dispirited players - the stand out was Gagner, after taking a penalty easing himself back up the ice, not showing any inclination to back check. I think it's past time the 'smart money' in Oilersnation face the fact - Eakins isn't going to get it done. Not this year, not next. The only thing fuelling Oiler fans these days is a healthy dose of masochism.

Avatar
#182 RexHolez
November 09 2013, 09:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Here's what will happen. Bryzgalov will come in, be marginally better then the echl level dubnyk, and the team will lose slightly less games then they currently lose. All the media will praise bryzgalov and point out his average level stats and will call to resign him to a multi year deal. Then next year they'll keep losing like the losers this team is. Finally Katz will have no other option but to finally get rid of Lowe. Then an actual rebuild will start and 4-5 years from now this team won't be as bad of a joke as they currently are. Years away but it will come

Avatar
#183 Smokey
November 09 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Primo wrote:

Bad Team and Bad Goaltending on Eakins???? You must be Kevin's first nephew !

Just what the doctor ordered...5 coaches in 6 years. Way to go!

If your argument is oh we can't have another coach, so we have stick with a guy who has this team outta the playoffs by November. Are you serious.

Its more then just the coach, I admit. The team has quit, can you not see that? So lets watch them quit for the remainder of the year, lets watch them quit next year. Confidence is gone, and you have to start looking forward to next year cause common sense says its over.

I say get a coach with track record, revamp this team starting now, and build a group for next year. They make same mistakes every game. One offensive player is playing with confidence. You got three goalies with no confidence. Your defence is suspect outside of Petry and maybe Larson. So ya you got three players playing well, lets continue this trend. And lets throw in a media darling who hates winters, and has a fear of bears, and can't stop pucks. And your argument is we can't have another coach. Brilliant. Any other intelligent comment.

Avatar
#184 RexHolez
November 09 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Apparently 8 straight years of being a bottom feeder isn't enough to realize the people in charge have lost touch of today's game. They need to sink lower than low to the point that it physically hurts. They need to fail on an epic level like they have the last few years before changes are truly made

Avatar
#185 BleedOil4Life
November 09 2013, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@outdoorzguy

I'm so sick of people saying this crap....name a city or a fan base that has done this Enough!!

Avatar
#186 BleedOil4Life
November 09 2013, 09:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

We are bad because out veteran depth is crap

Jones Eager Smyth Smid (gone) Hemsky

These guys do not lead this team They do not know how to win...we get down a goal These "vets" shut down before the kids do

You look at all the top teams....what do they have?? QUALITY DEPTH AND VETS!

Avatar
#187 BleedOil4Life
November 09 2013, 09:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

We are bad because out veteran depth is crap

Jones Eager Smyth Smid (gone) Hemsky

These guys do not lead this team They do not know how to win...we get down a goal These "vets" shut down before the kids do

You look at all the top teams....what do they have?? QUALITY DEPTH AND VETS!

Avatar
#188 Smokey
November 09 2013, 09:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Overwatchedandunderpaid wrote:

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

Colorado. Rest my case.

Change the coaches, change the management. Lets start winning.

Avatar
#189 Alsker
November 09 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

The utter lack of real management, lack of respect, no accountability, no fear of consequence, no heart, no desire. F*ck kBlowe how do you look at yourself in the mirror? YOU blew it, admit it!! Hate Burke but try and weasel him out of Cowtown and get lost. If this were a soccer club anywhere in Europe he'd bin hung by now, rexall would be demolished and Katz would have a reason for living in Vancity.

Avatar
#190 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#191 Pouzar99
November 09 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought Dubnyk and a few missed chances by the Flyers actually kept the Oilers in the game until he blew the 4th one very late. They didn't come close to the same effort level they mustered against Florida and Tampa Bay. We need to bring in psychiatrists not hockey analysts to explain what the story is with these guys. We actually have at least one on FISO but he can't figure them out either.

Avatar
#192 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#193 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:09PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

MF... Post fail.

Avatar
#194 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:11PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#195 Pouzar99
November 09 2013, 10:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought Dubnyk and a few missed chances by the Flyers actually kept the Oilers in the game until he blew the 4th one very late. They didn't come close to the same effort level they mustered against Florida and Tampa Bay. We need to bring in psychiatrists not hockey analysts to explain what the story is with these guys. We actually have at least one on FISO but he can't figure them out either.

Avatar
#196 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:13PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#197 DSF
November 09 2013, 10:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

So, just what the Kings needed...two more high end forwards in Toffoli and Vey.

Jeebus.

They'll be dominant for years.

Avatar
#198 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 10:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

So, just what the Kings needed...two more high end forwards in Toffoli and Vey.

Jeebus.

They'll be dominant for years.

Unending dominance.

They are the cycling version of the Wings.

Avatar
#199 DSF
November 09 2013, 10:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Unending dominance.

They are the cycling version of the Wings.

Beyond that.

The Wings on steroids.

This is their putative centre depth.

Kopitar

Richards

Carter

Stoll

Nolan

Toffoli

Lewis

Fraser

Weal

Now, obviously, they all can't play C at the NHL level but, in reality, they have 8 NHL calibre centres. 8.

Someone knows how to draft.

Avatar
#200 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 10:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

The Wings have been a top calibre team for 2 decades now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The Kings are better now and have a brighter future and look built to last… but who knows what the future holds.

Kings drafting… something special.

Comments are closed for this article.