Disaster

Jonathan Willis
November 09 2013 03:09PM

The Edmonton Oilers had a chance on Saturday to pick up two points from one of the league's worst teams. They had healthy bodies back, the Flyers had lost two straight, and this game represented a real opportunity to start things turning around after a strong effort in a win over Florida and a stronger one in a loss to Tampa Bay.

It didn't happen.

Losing Badly

It's not just that the Oilers lost, or who they lost against, but how they lost. Some fans will want to place the blame on Devan Dubnyk - who was actually reasonably solid until that fourth goal - or on the referees for mistakenly assessing a major penalty against an innocent Anton Belov.

But the real problem was the skaters. The following chart shows on-ice scoring chances at even-strength for the Oilers forwards against Philadelphia, as counted by me.

Player EV+ EV- Percentage
Luke Gazdic 0 1 0.0%
Jordan Eberle 1 7 12.5%
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1 6 14.3%
Boyd Gordon 1 4 20.0%
Ryan Smyth 1 4 20.0%
Taylor Hall 4 8 33.3%
Jesse Joensuu 1 2 33.3%
Mark Arcobello 2 4 33.3%
Sam Gagner 4 6 40.0%
Ales Hemsky 5 7 41.7%
David Perron 3 3 50.0%
Nail Yakupov 2 1 66.7%

And for the defence:

Player EV+ EV- Percentage
Nick Schultz 1 6 14.3%
Taylor Fedun 1 5 16.7%
Andrew Ference 2 9 18.2%
Jeff Petry 2 7 22.2%
Philip Larsen 6 6 50.0%
Anton Belov 6 5 54.5%

For the most part, it was the Oilers' best players getting killed against the Flyers. Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall all had among the worst marks on the team in this regard. These are the guys that typically push results - and did last year, even as the rest of the team gave everything back and then some. On defence, the Oilers top pairing of Andrew Ference and Jeff Petry were lit up, too.

The Oilers play in Chicago tomorrow. It seems unlikely to go well.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#201 Alsker
November 09 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

The utter lack of real management, lack of respect, no accountability, no fear of consequence, no heart, no desire. F*ck kBlowe how do you look at yourself in the mirror? YOU blew it, admit it!! Hate Burke but try and weasel him out of Cowtown and get lost. If this were a soccer club anywhere in Europe he'd bin hung by now, rexall would be demolished and Katz would have a reason for living in Vancity.

Avatar
#202 BURROWSHASCRABS
November 09 2013, 11:03PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

What the hell ever asshat, wait till Minny plays LA who just spanked your Casucks!!

Avatar
#203 PutzStew
November 10 2013, 01:25AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
chuckcouples wrote:

Can someone try and explain to me what Taylor Hall was thinking on the Flyers' 2nd goal? Why exactly is he at the redline skating towards the Flyers end while Hartnell puts the puck in the net?

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013020245-304-h

So...Taylor vs Tyler?

Learned that from Hemsky. COH can't give you an error on a goal if you are no were near the play.

Avatar
#204 OilFanInVan
November 10 2013, 09:50AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I think a few things are responsible for this sinking ship:

1. Management

Management is arrogant (based on public interviews) and incompetent (based on the last umpteen years of results). Any real business owner would not just hire his buddy without an exhaustive search if he cared about his organization. However, the Oilers are in a unique situation where the clients LOVE the organization and continue to pay for its services despite the arrogance and incompetence of management and its employees.

2. Culture

Culture in ANY organization feeds down from management to its employees. Because of this, the employees in this organization are becoming arrogant and incompetent. We have a losing, living in the past, entitled culture on this team. This is very hard to break. Bringing in a new coach can change this, but not if he is a puppet. Changing pictures on a wall, but keeping people around who were in those pictures (Smith, Buchberger, MacT, Lowe) doesn't change a thing.

3. Players

We have some players with a VERY HIGH pedigree. Unfortunately, they've been brought up in a bad culture. Their fellow employees that they can look up to are too embedded in the culture (Hemsky, Smyth, previously Horcoff) and have taught them how to lose and how not to care. Their management hasn't cracked the whip. They've coddled them and given them large contracts. They didn't give them an extra year of junior and some time in the AHL. They didn't give them the opportunity to actually learn the game. Instead they were rushed in as impressionable teenagers and what does an impressionable teenager do - follows the rest of the pack.

How do we get out?

1. Besides rectifying the problems above, I see only one person who might be able to turn the ship despite the above issues and that's Taylor Hall. This is the only person currently in this organization, IMHO, with the self-confidence, the desire to win and the gumption to put this entire organization on his back and pull it out of the dumps. Unfortunately, this is a massive burden that I wouldn't want to wish on anyone and unfortunately when Taylor tries to put everyone on his back he seems to get injured.

Good luck Taylor. Are you the next Mark Messier? I sure hope so.

Avatar
#205 Spoils
November 10 2013, 10:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

251 comments.

This is officially group therapy.

I missed the Philly and the Detroit games. Only two games I missed this year. But the depression game for me was TO.

Philly was blacked out on GameCenter so I ended up watching the condensed game.

Philly out chanced us? It wasn't a great game? We had a chance at one point, but got over- powered. Magically Claude Giroux snapped out of it against us.

I was thoroughly disappointed by the condensed game, but this morning I caught myself being delusional again. Hmm I wonder what other fans are saying. I wonder why we won and how this is just a precursor to us turning around... going on a 20 game winning streak etc.

we are making the playoffs!

Can you empathize with my desire for delusion.

Fact is, I love this team and I need something to shut the voices off -

"This team is NOT very good. RNH, Hall and Ebs are too weak defensively. The Blues didn't want Perron for a reason. Nail was a miss. We are going to lose forever."

Chicago next? Nail's turn to get 8 points?

Avatar
#206 Spoils
November 10 2013, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DSF wrote:

Ask yourself....

Why exactly did Dean Lombardi trade Visnovsky?

Visnovosky was traded to Edmonton in June 2008.

In the 2008 draft, the Kings had selected Drew Doughty, Colten Teubert and Slava Voynov with their first 3 picks.

Lombardi was in full rebuild mode and knew he could create a more balanced roster by moving an over paid veteran to create more balance in his lineup.

Since Lombardi understood that winning teams are built from the back end out and down the middle, the anchors of his young developing roster now looked like this:

G: Quick Bernier

D: Doughty

C: Kopitar, Stoll

Only then, once the foundation of a solid young team was in place, did he start adding forwards.

2009: Schenn, Clifford, Vey, Nolan 2010: Toffoli

Since taking over in 2006, Lombardi had also had spectacular success in the draft with Bernier, Trevor Lewis, Wayne Simmonds, Dwight King, Alex Martinez and Andrei Loktionov.

He had acquired so many solid assets and had managed the cap so well by moving players like Visnovsky, that he was now able to acquire the final pieces in Richards and Carter.

So, while you say the Oilers have been looking for Visnovsky ever since they traded him, what they should have been looking for is Drew Doughty.

With so many top 10 picks in the last 10 drafts they should have been able to acquire a #1D one way or the other but as of this morning their best defenseman is former 2nd round pick, Jeff Petry.

And not only is their D depth weak but they also have close to the worst C depth in the NHL.

Pretty obvious the Lowe regime doesn't have a clue about how to build a winner.

There are different ways to skin a cat. I'm not willing to go out on a limb and support management, but regarding D this is the vision i believe they have:

#1D = Klefbom (see other 1st team WJC all stars), #2D = JSchultz, #3D = Nurse, #4D = Petry, #5D = ???, #6D = ???,

So they believe they have their Doughty.

After the camp I am a little worried about Klefb. After the season I am worried about Schultz.

So maybe a move is needed there.

That said, I am also super worried about the real secret for this team (as I see it)...

4 scoring lines... Waves and waves of offense...

Because even our top 3 don't look that great right now.

Avatar
#207 Batfink
November 09 2013, 04:38PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

I'd like to know when Eakins is going to start holding our top players accountable? As long as our guys continue getting their shifts after they make the same mistakes over and over, nothing will change. Start stapling their asses to the bench and start sending the message that it is unacceptable. Our chance of winning diminishes with our top guys sitting but we are losing anyway so what is there to lose? Short term pain for long term gain.

Eakins needs to hold himself at least in part accountable. Yes, the players have to excute the plan, but even a good plan executed badly has a chance. However, a bad plan badly executed......

Avatar
#208 Eddie Shore
November 09 2013, 05:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

FMNF!

Avatar
#209 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 05:28PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Just because it's "uncommon" doesn't mean he will return to his "historical average".

No one implied that was a necessary eventuality.

However, it is a great deal more probable than his historical play suddenly and forever cratering.

Avatar
#210 Alsker
November 09 2013, 05:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Oops forgot Mess becomes pres of Ops.

Avatar
#211 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 06:35PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Not all things that can be counted matter.

Not all things that matter can be counted.

- A. Einstein.

(although I'm pretty sure you think you're smarter.)

Not smart enough to presume I can gauge another man's level of confidence and its affect on his play.

Also, not smart enough to presume I can interpret body language and many other things.

I take a modest view of what someone can know.

Avatar
#212 Seriously
November 09 2013, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Next game against Chicago... (heavy sigh!!) wonder if the oilers are feeling like a heard of cattle off to the slaughter house!! When SC shows a view of the players on the bench, they look look so rejected. Zero confidence! Painful!

Avatar
#213 Batfink
November 09 2013, 07:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

Coach doesn't mean squat if the players refuse to commit!

So, I want to sell you my '91 dodge 1500 2wd V6. It'd be a good vehicle, if you'd only by it. Come onnnnnn. Please buy my hunk of crap! No? You can tell it's a P.O.S just by looking at it? Maybe you should just buy it. It'll be fine.

It if looks like a duck....

Avatar
#214 DSF
November 09 2013, 07:54PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Not smart enough to presume I can gauge another man's level of confidence and its affect on his play.

Also, not smart enough to presume I can interpret body language and many other things.

I take a modest view of what someone can know.

There are many adjectives I would use to describe you.

Modest is very, very far down the list.

If there are many things that you can't know, what you can know is very much diminished in its import.

Anyone who has played competitive sports will be able to tell you that confidence is a major factor in performance...but I'm sure you will slough it off because you can't measure it.

Avatar
#215 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
November 09 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Nice.

Thank you. I think I'm sobering up now.

Avatar
#216 Oilcruzer
November 09 2013, 08:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@DSF

Duplicate

Avatar
#217 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 08:08PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

There are many adjectives I would use to describe you.

Modest is very, very far down the list.

If there are many things that you can't know, what you can know is very much diminished in its import.

Anyone who has played competitive sports will be able to tell you that confidence is a major factor in performance...but I'm sure you will slough it off because you can't measure it.

Actually, it is the opposite.

The ability to bracket off noise and other unknowable things, greatly increases your knowledge.

Again, I haven't discounted "confidence." I'm discounting your ability to know how confident an individual player or team is at any given time and to know how that confidence will affect performance.

These are different things.

Avatar
#218 Serious Gord
November 09 2013, 08:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Overwatchedandunderpaid wrote:

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

Coaching is not the sole reason why this team is playing badly, but it is definitely a factor. The fact that Eakins is disappointing shouldn't come as a surprise - look at who hired him - the same set of cronies who hired the previous failures.

So let's not be stymied by past failures. The oil should make the changes needed whatever they might be. I bet you know where I would like to start...

Avatar
#219 Shane
November 09 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Pete wrote:

Yeah, what he said. Usually when people b#tch about a product they stop using it. STOP USING IT!!

Weren't people saying after the lockout last year to boycott the league? How did that work out?

Avatar
#220 Shane
November 09 2013, 09:18PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Pete

Weren't people saying after the lockout last year to boycott the league? How did that work out?

Avatar
#221 Ari Gold
November 09 2013, 09:20PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Ari Gold

These 4-2 games are irritating. I preferred it when they'd get lit up 5-0 and 4-0 by the Wings & Leafs. Hopefully the players revolt completely soon.

I guarantee that if you asked everyone in that dressingroom if they'd like to play in a different city. They'd all say definitely.

Avatar
#222 Hemmercules
November 09 2013, 09:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Ari Gold wrote:

These 4-2 games are irritating. I preferred it when they'd get lit up 5-0 and 4-0 by the Wings & Leafs. Hopefully the players revolt completely soon.

I guarantee that if you asked everyone in that dressingroom if they'd like to play in a different city. They'd all say definitely.

Ugh. We all know they are probably thinking it, at least some of them anyway. Way too depressing to even think about.

Avatar
#223 Rob Gilgan
November 09 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Overwatchedandunderpaid

"there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem"

Everything I've witnessed over the past three weeks leads me to conclude that it is, indeed the coach that's the problem. Confused, dispirited players - the stand out was Gagner, after taking a penalty easing himself back up the ice, not showing any inclination to back check. I think it's past time the 'smart money' in Oilersnation face the fact - Eakins isn't going to get it done. Not this year, not next. The only thing fuelling Oiler fans these days is a healthy dose of masochism.

Avatar
#224 BleedOil4Life
November 09 2013, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@outdoorzguy

I'm so sick of people saying this crap....name a city or a fan base that has done this Enough!!

Avatar
#225 BleedOil4Life
November 09 2013, 09:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

We are bad because out veteran depth is crap

Jones Eager Smyth Smid (gone) Hemsky

These guys do not lead this team They do not know how to win...we get down a goal These "vets" shut down before the kids do

You look at all the top teams....what do they have?? QUALITY DEPTH AND VETS!

Avatar
#226 DSF
November 09 2013, 10:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

So, just what the Kings needed...two more high end forwards in Toffoli and Vey.

Jeebus.

They'll be dominant for years.

Avatar
#227 DSF
November 09 2013, 10:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Unending dominance.

They are the cycling version of the Wings.

Beyond that.

The Wings on steroids.

This is their putative centre depth.

Kopitar

Richards

Carter

Stoll

Nolan

Toffoli

Lewis

Fraser

Weal

Now, obviously, they all can't play C at the NHL level but, in reality, they have 8 NHL calibre centres. 8.

Someone knows how to draft.

Avatar
#228 Rod from Viking
November 09 2013, 10:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Beyond that.

The Wings on steroids.

This is their putative centre depth.

Kopitar

Richards

Carter

Stoll

Nolan

Toffoli

Lewis

Fraser

Weal

Now, obviously, they all can't play C at the NHL level but, in reality, they have 8 NHL calibre centres. 8.

Someone knows how to draft.

Carter, Richards and Fraser were trades that LA won.

Avatar
#229 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 10:59PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Yeah, Lombardi also wins trades.

Don't forget Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky who turned into Whitney who turned into SFA.

Vis was probably a saw-off, if not a win for the Oil…

Whitney… good god, a calamity... though I don't recall Lombardi being involved in that trade :)

What is "SFA"?

Avatar
#230 Spydyr
November 10 2013, 05:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

No one implied that was a necessary eventuality.

However, it is a great deal more probable than his historical play suddenly and forever cratering.

Every player eventually craters.That is why they retire.Some younger then others.

Avatar
#231 Batfink
November 10 2013, 09:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Rob Gilgan wrote:

"So, I think what we're looking for is the 'common denominator'. "

The new common denominator is the arena downtown. Oiler fans will flock to it, regardless of the team's success on the ice. They'll keep buying seasons tickets because it's 'saving the downtown' and a great place to park their lift kit.

The kids, by the way, are the same thing. They don't have to win - we've already told them they're the best thing in hockey and they're making six mill apiece. People love to buy those jerseys and associate themselves wit that success.

Eberle jersey + jacked-up one ton + new arena = who needs a Stanley Cup (and what is that anyway?)

You forgot the affliction t-shirts and tap-out ball caps with straight peaks, lol. But I think you may be on to something.

Avatar
#232 Oasis
November 10 2013, 10:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
IsaacsRevenge wrote:

Well, my emotions boiled over and I forgot how to write a proper novel. Did you happen to get through what I said and have an opinion on it? Or are you just a freelance late-night blog editor?

And I have a word for you: feelings. You hurt mine.

Yeah, I read what you said and there are some good points. I was just being a smart a**.

Avatar
#233 Oiler Al
November 09 2013, 05:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

"leaders"

You are funny, you make me laugh.

Spyder, good point, should have said " should be leaders", but they are not playing like they are.

Avatar
#234 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 05:44PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

What are the odds of that, exactly?

Of a level of play regressing to the mean?

Pretty high I gather…

The only factors we know about for Gs for sharp and sustained drops in performance (injury and age) don't appear to be in play.

Avatar
#235 Kirk brackenberry
November 09 2013, 06:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Gerald R. Ford wrote:

That may be the most sobering statistic of this sad mess. I can't wait for THAT question this off-season!

"So, Craig... where are you going to find those extra THIRTY-ONE (!) wins just to crawl into the playoffs this year?"

"..."

Yikes!

Does Katz even know what's happening these days? I know it's hard to see over the Rockies...

Oh remember we have these great defenders nurse and klefbom cause smid was expendable and they will save the day....*tongue meet cheek

Avatar
#236 Alsker
November 09 2013, 06:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
woodenshoes wrote:

How about the Eddie Shore method where he tied a rope around his goalies neck and tied it to the cross bar b/c he thought his goalie was going down too soon. With Dubnyk you'd have to hang it from the rafters as he's so tall, and with today's CBA the NHLPA would have a field day but we can dream right?

That would work tho I feel the team may be at legal risk. My way its simply an unfortunate accident that the life guard is an Oilers fan.

Avatar
#237 Alsker
November 09 2013, 06:39PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

On the plus side, watching actual NHL teams play is refreshing my interest in hockey.

You`re a better man than me, there is no way I tune into a game unless the fLames are losing. It just hurts too much.

Avatar
#238 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 06:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

That's correct...not enough fights aren't helping him either. Soft defensemen are not helping him either. Centres who don't back check are not helping him either. And a team still learning a rookie coaches systems are not helping either. And small players who lose puck possession battles are not helping either. And centres who can't win face offs aren't helping him either.............and NONE of these things are intangible. What's truly intangible is your misuse and abuse of statistics.

And I'm not defending Dubnyk...I think he's missed his window of opportunity....but what I am defending is people who talk about non numerical tangible events against people like you who condescendingly speak about these events as if they have no consequence. In my opinion, you need to be more disciplined. And I'm not ramming this down your throat, I'm open to discussing it.

Well, I'm not defending Dubnyk either.

And, I'm not saying something like "confidence" shouldn't be open to discussion…

I'm just saying we should be more modest about assuming a casual relationship about something we can know very little about, i.e., another person's psychological state and it's affect on performance.

Avatar
#239 Shaun
November 09 2013, 06:42PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

We won't make the playoffs so we should fail the rest of the season and draft Aaron Ekbald

Avatar
#240 DK0
November 09 2013, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Can we get an article about how the Oilers are really nice guys? I mean look how happy Giroux is!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1466056_762457317102804_2079326028_n.jpg

Avatar
#241 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 09 2013, 07:21PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

I think suggesting it is more likely a goaltender in a long slump (with no evident injury and not at the age one usually sees performance falter) will regress to the mean is a pretty modest and qualified statement.

No one is making some bold, radical suggestion here.

And, I don't see anyone discounting "fighting spirit." I would however, challenge the bias that is ever prevalent when such things are doled out at the lunch counter.

Avatar
#242 Cameron
November 09 2013, 07:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore!"

Avatar
#243 Quintana
November 09 2013, 07:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Why in the hell we fired Tambo? Man I miss him...

Avatar
#244 Hockey Problems
November 09 2013, 08:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Overwatchedandunderpaid wrote:

People can keep complaining about the coaching but there has to come a time as fans that you realize that after all the coaching changes in the past couple of years and the same results that its not the coaches problem. Every year we get a new coach and we get air in our sails and we are filled with positive messages from the coach and we agree with what he says but when the season starts everything falls apart and who else is there to blame but the coach. We can throw any coach under this awful team right now and it wont change the results. The players have to want to play and want to compete to be successful. Until you have that you can throw as many coaches into the fire as you want, nothing will change.

.

Avatar
#245 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#246 Pouzar99
November 09 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought Dubnyk and a few missed chances by the Flyers actually kept the Oilers in the game until he blew the 4th one very late. They didn't come close to the same effort level they mustered against Florida and Tampa Bay. We need to bring in psychiatrists not hockey analysts to explain what the story is with these guys. We actually have at least one on FISO but he can't figure them out either.

Avatar
#247 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#248 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:09PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

MF... Post fail.

Avatar
#249 IsaacsRevenge
November 09 2013, 10:11PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am usually just a reader, and I hate pouty bitches that come on here and say 'this team sucks, I give up on them'. If the Oilers are your team, they are your team... But... This is wearing even diehards like me very very thin. I honestly think that MacT is pushing this team to see how bad it really is. Watching today's came, the holes were never more obvious. And getting rid of another effort-giving gritty player in Smid? The only message I see here is stop hiding behind others and start playing hard. Take your knocks, learn a system and start getting your personal development back on track. I don't think MacT likes where each players development has gone, and it is showing in their play. It looks like they are resetting back to the third rebuilding year by forcing the team to learn a system and develop individually. This just pisses me the F off because of all of the time we invested in watching the last two years, not realizing it was a complete waste. We were watching the team float on their existing skillset rather than seeing them develop into NHL players. I am glad they are not dishing Ebs away right now. Don't deal until the group you have is able to stabilize and learn system play. To me, the reason why new players came here in the past and failed was due to the lack of development and structure. This year you see a coach with structure, and new players coming in and buying it, but our core rebuild team has never learned structure play. You can't expect new players to want to play here without stability. Further to that, Bryzgalov coming in just introduces more instability in the locker room. I hate it because this only helps strip the locker room down even more. We have to see rock bottom, watch them learn to play through it. This should have been recognized years ago, Tambo didn't see it and KLowe was oblivious. I had no problem with the two of them until now... These games are exposing the real team.

Avatar
#250 Pouzar99
November 09 2013, 10:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought Dubnyk and a few missed chances by the Flyers actually kept the Oilers in the game until he blew the 4th one very late. They didn't come close to the same effort level they mustered against Florida and Tampa Bay. We need to bring in psychiatrists not hockey analysts to explain what the story is with these guys. We actually have at least one on FISO but he can't figure them out either.

Comments are closed for this article.