Dallas Eakins Trolls Oilers Fans/Media

Jonathan Willis
December 10 2013 10:45PM

Reporter: "[Inaudible] won the game on the power play, power play was struggling again tonight..."

Eakins: "The power play was one-for three, 33 percent. That's a hell of a night."

For those who didn't see the game, the power play allowed one shorthanded goal on it's first attempt, created almost nothing in five full minutes late in the third with the Oilers holding a one-goal lead (after which the Hurricanes scored to tie it) and then won the game in overtime.

Which rather strongly suggests that whatever else coaching the Oilers has done to Eakins, it hasn't robbed him of his sense of humour.

Final note for the irony-impaired: I think this is funny , and you look ridiculous when you angrily demand why I'm 'calling out' Eakins.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#51 Ducey
December 11 2013, 09:34AM
Bryzarro World wrote:

All you that preach patience, say 'keep positive' and cheer have NEVER had season tickets for any length of time. Stfu and put your money where your mouth is, then we'll see how freaking happy you are with this garbage after 20 years and 200,000 plus in money flushed...

People preach patience because its a virtue and the right strategy. Trading the kids for some vets WILL NOT get this team into the playoffs this year. It might next year, but then the team won't be good enough in the long term to win a Cup.

You don't get the last word on the best strategy because you supposedly have season tickets.

Anyway, it could be worse. You could be sitting in this section in FLA: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/did-you-see-that-panthers-put-up-covered-plexiglass-1.2459361

#53 ubermiguel
December 11 2013, 09:50AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Well, obviously you're right that the grammar in that sentence was terrible, though I would have bet the meaning was plain.

I hate to disappoint you and I'm even more crushed because here I'm a writer and I there I went and wrote a sentence in bad English.

I'll just have to try and fit the pieces of my life back together. Somehow.

Now THAT'S sarcasm.

#54 2004Z06
December 11 2013, 09:52AM
Bryzarro World wrote:

And yet the building is full every game....Hmmmm

#55 ubermiguel
December 11 2013, 09:52AM
Professor Q wrote:

“It was a weird game. The crowd was with us, then against us, then back with us.” – Jordan Eberle, with the defining statement of Oilers fans.

I'm against blind passes that send Eric Staal in on a partial break away. Just sayin' Ebs.

#56 Rod from Viking
December 11 2013, 09:53AM

@Rod from Viking

I should have included the 30's, 40's and 50's, I am sure there are a lot of people still alive born before 1960, right Lowetide(lol)

#57 Smokey
December 11 2013, 09:54AM

I thought Eakins was impaired when I heard the comment. He must be sniffing the same glue that Patrick Roy was high on, which was apparent during the interview after the Oiler's game.

I think he's trying to find a positive...and trying to find a balance between being the head cheerleader and the grim reaper.

I looked at the game as the Oiler's escaped playing 20 minutes. Its one of those things I think teams that are good do. Find a way to play a few minutes and then float the rest. They pulled it out it was not pretty, but its better then loosing. The Oilers never win that way, and we have seen teams like San Jose, Chicago do that to the Oilers where they play one great period and are blah the rest. I think its a positive that we played one period of hockey and won.

#58 tileguy55
December 11 2013, 09:58AM

Eakins next job is to teach baby Nuge not to put himself in vulnerable positions. I would not of called a penalty last night as he turned his back at the very last second. If he does that again he might not get up so quickly. Protect yourself at all times!

#59 Smokey
December 11 2013, 09:59AM
Butters wrote:

The Oilers are 7-3-1 in their last 11. Eakins has to feel prety good right now.

My Oil, 7-3-1, sounds nice.

That's the winning percentage they have to play at the rest of the season to get to Lord Stanley's playoffs, face palm...

#60 TigerUnderGlass
December 11 2013, 10:07AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I'll just have to try and fit the pieces of my life back together. Somehow.

It'll take time, but you're still young Willis.

#61 pkam
December 11 2013, 10:22AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I'll just have to try and fit the pieces of my life back together. Somehow.

It is all Eakins fault. It would not have happened if Eakins didn't dodge the question in such a hilarious way.

#62 Death Metal Nightmare
December 11 2013, 10:26AM

...but the best joke is that he's trolling himself and his career the entire season.

#63 forsoothed
December 11 2013, 10:32AM

@Jonathan Willis

Just hold on to the primacy of the spoken word, it will help you get through those sleepless nights.

#64 pkam
December 11 2013, 10:35AM
Smokey wrote:

Too many times I heard the Oilers said "We have to play 60 minutes, not 40" in the post game interviews. Last night, I heard it from the Canes.

I don't like last night's game overall, but I don't mind to hear that comment more from the opponents than from the Oilers.

#65 oilerjed
December 11 2013, 10:42AM
Retsinnab5 wrote:

Anyone else think Kevin Quinn sounded like a teenage boy going trough puberty?

If I didnt feel bad for how crappy he actually felt it would have been even funnier. He had a real good dead pan thing going last night. Didnt matter who he was talking to or what he was talking about, there was a definite struggle going on. He soldiered on though. Now if the OIl could only find the same drive.

#66 loweblows
December 11 2013, 11:01AM
john wrote:

How's Yakupov got -1 (only Oilers with minus on the team tonite) when he was on the ice for Oilers 2 even strength goals scored? Weird stats, the poor guy got shafted with plus/minus stat again. Put Nail on power play, he is the only guy that shoot the puck. You cannot score if you don't shoot the puck, they kept passing around out there. Look at the Canes tying goal, the defenseman threw it at the net and it went in. Shoot the damn pucks!

He is minus 1 because if you watch a rerun of the game and isolate him out you would see he is guilty of coasting. He has an annoying habit of leaning over with his stick off the ice and then stops skating. A number of times last night he essentially stopped skating and put no pressure on the puck carrier. Rookie mistake that hopefully he corrects.

#67 GVBlackhawk
December 11 2013, 11:15AM
loweblows wrote:

No. He was minus because he was on the ice when a) the fourth goal was deflected into the net -- a play he had nothing to do with, and b) the second goal when Gagner decided to skate into the Oilers crease and leave his man open in the slot. Once again, his 'coasting' had nothing to do with the goal against but he was penalized for it with a minus.

#68 OILERSORDEATH
December 11 2013, 11:16AM

2nd and 3rd periods were painfull to watch. I was suprised at Eberle's turnovers. That's the most I've seen him do in a while. Not sure what's going on with him because he's better than that.

#69 Justin
December 11 2013, 11:32AM
Bryzarro World wrote:

My heart bleeds for you and the money you have and have been forced to spend on entertainment.

#70 Old Timer
December 11 2013, 11:34AM

Been reading the comments on this site for a few years, but this is my first time adding my 2 cents. First off, I like Eakins sense of humour. Classic. Secondly, Has anyone noticed that Alex Ovechkin is a -10 on the year. The Washington fan base must be screaming for management to get rid of him. I can't believe Russia would consider him for their Olympic team. Glad Canada isn't going to consider a player like Taylor Hall who is a terrible -6. It's much better that they will go with proven defensive talent like John Tavares. (also -6) Also, did I mention that Taylor Hall has played fewer games than anyone else in the top 30 scorers. And he's number 3 in scoring for Canadian left wingers. Don't want guys like that on our Canadian Oly team

#71 JimWilson
December 11 2013, 11:44AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I'll just have to try and fit the pieces of my life back together. Somehow.

Thanks JW I needed this today.

#72 The Heist
December 11 2013, 11:49AM

@Old Timer

now THAT'S sarcasm!

Also loved hemskys game last night. Vintage hemsky (06 lol)

#73 Ryan14
December 11 2013, 11:52AM
Bryzarro World wrote:

I have been a season ticket holder since the 2005-06 season. I am saying be patient.

#74 oilbaron
December 11 2013, 12:01PM

Anyone else noticing how Eakins is fundamentally changing the way this team plays? I used to cringe anytime the Oilers gave up the puck because their defensive play was so erratic and lackluster.

Last night though for at least half of the game, the Oilers looked like a team that knew how to dominate the play offensively and defensively. Sticks in lanes, incredibly persistent fore-checking and back-checking, sound positional play.

No offense to Renney or Krueger, but I would bet that lately the Oil would be playing to the standards of their former coaches. Something tells me however, that this team is nowhere near the expectation level set by the newest coach, and if you're a fan of this club that means the future is bright. Bring it home Dallas!

#75 oilerjed
December 11 2013, 12:02PM

One thing that is not being talked about thaT IMO is worthwhile conversation. 4 out of 5 goals last night were even strength. It seems to me that this is becoming a bit of a habit for our lowly Oil as of late. A few weeks ago we were complaining about the lack of 5v5 goals, now it is PP. 1 step forward 2 step back.

#76 S cottV
December 11 2013, 12:21PM

Hey JW - any comment on what is going on with Gagner in his own end?

Half hazard clearing attempts, missed assignments, obsessive puck sucking, little to no attempt to put his head on a swivel, to read whats going on around him - etc etc.

Last nights fiasco of skating thru the crease and taking out Dubnyk, was glaring - but things along the same lines are happening a lot - with him.

Not much different with RNH but he is just 20 years old, playing 1C before his time. Gagner is a 7 year vet?

Is Eakins beating him up over stuff like this or is just accepted that Gagner is abysmal in his own end?

#77 **
December 11 2013, 01:25PM
? wrote:

I would explain it to you g bear but you would be to dumb to understand. You took to many head shots and lost too many fights in your foxy boxing days!

Hahahahaha. My post was a reference to Sheldon cooper. If you don't know who that is maybe it's time to get out of that rock. It is a fairly complex joke if I may say so myself. My melon is fine from my boxing teens (or so I think lol). My jaw is slightly displaced though, makes one of my inner ears hurt sometimes and it clicks when I move it around.

#78 **
December 11 2013, 01:36PM
JJ wrote:

Well JW now I'm going to have to call you out on your grammar.

So he didn't answer the questions in a hilarious way, meaning he answered the question in a non-hilarious way...

OR

hilariously, he didn't answer the question. (He didn't answer the question and it was hilarious)

That's a dangling modifier and if you're a writer then I'm very disappointed you didn't catch your sloppy grammar.

Yeah JW how dare you? Now your article won't pass the peer review and won't be published in the Canadian journal of scientifically proven hockey opinion, aka oilers nation.

PS: I think this qualifies as sarcasm, doesn't it?

#79 Johnnydapunk
December 11 2013, 03:43PM

Maybe I am simple like that, but it didn't even seem like a question per se, more like a "finish my sentence" game that Eakins played quite well. All that was missing was the thump of a dropped microphone and a longer awkward silence at the end.

#80 Evilas
December 11 2013, 07:19PM
GVBlackhawk wrote:

b) That play was all on Gagner, he loses the puck with a really weak play along the boards and he skates into his own crease and bumps into Dubnyk behind his own Dman, when he should have been picking up the man in the slot.

That was awful awful awful. No other Oiler was at fault on that one, he confused his teammates when he had the puck, because no one knew what he wanted to do (I doubt he did either)