OILERS FAN GUIDE TO WJ'S

Lowetide
December 25 2013 11:13AM

For Edmonton Oiler fans, this is going to be an unusual World Junior championships. Over the last several years Edmonton draft picks have been front and center at the annual prospect tournament, but this year there are only two—Russians Bogdan Yakimov (in photo) and Anton Slepyshev. Is there anything worth watching? Or course!

FUTURE OILERS VIA TRADE

The Oilers did not draft Curtis Lazar (photo by Lisa McRichie via Kukla's Korner) or Griffin Reinhart but they certainly wanted to, and one suspects both young men are still on club radar. Former Oil Kings have value to the organization, as reflected in the trade earlier this season to acquire Laurent Brossoit. My belief is the Oilers put a high degree of importance on character, and from what we know of these two young men they have that part of the equation in great amounts.

FUTURE OILERS VIA DRAFTMAS PAST

As mentioned, the two Russians drafted earlier this year should be major players for the Russians. There will be three chances to see these kids via tsn if you get both channels and I'll be giving you updates throughout the tournament here at Oilers Nation through the holidays.

These two gents (Yakimov and Slepyshev) are important players for the Oilers, because it is extremely rare for the club to venture into the USSR (old timey reference) and success would probably mean more picks from that part of the world. There's no doubting the quality of these players, but signability can be an issue as we all know.

FUTURE OILERS VIA DRAFTMAS FUTURE

Folks, they're everywhere. Canada is represented by Sam Reinhart (Kootenay Ice), Aaron Ekblad (Barrie Colts), two players who are vying for number one overall. Also in the conversation are Germany's Leon Draisaitl, who plays for the PA Raiders. He's a very popular player among Oiler fans already, with Warren texting to tsn 1260 the other day that Edmonton should do the "death rattle for Draisaitl" ala Fail for Nail and Fall for Hall.

Other eligibles worth paying attention to are Kasperi Kapanen (yes, Sami's son) who is a skill winger for Finland, and Russian center Ivan Barbashev. Another player to follow is Lucas Wallmark, who passed through the draft in the summer but has a fine season going in 2013-14.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Merry Christmas! I'll be updating throughout the holidays on the World Juniors and following the progress of Yakimov and Slepyshev. Best of the season!

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Step Daddy J
December 26 2013, 11:21AM
HardBoiledOil wrote:

dal Colle appears to have more *scoring* potential than Lazar, though Lazar is a complete player who is finally showing the offensive abilities that scouts have always said he has. I don't know how good dal Colle is defensively, but he would still be an excellent pick for the Oilers and would give us a great 1-2 punch at center down the road.

my original point was not a *straight up* trade of our 1st rounder for Lazar, but a package involving the two.

Manfly says Ekblad, Mckeown and Fleury would be great Oiler picks too, but none of these d-men are better d-men than Nurse from everything I have read.

If That's So , How does a 17 Year old Ekblad make Team Canada and an older Nurse is cut ? Ekblad is better than Seth Jones .Haydn Fleury is awesome too . Honestly I never thought the Oil would be the second worst team in the nhl half way through the season . I thought at worst same as last year ( 8 th worst ) . At 8 th worst I thaught Haydn Fleury would be a realistic draft pick but since Edmonton is playing so bad this year , Ekblad is within reach ... So go for Ekblad !

#52 HardBoiledOil
December 26 2013, 11:36AM
Step Daddy J wrote:

Nugent-Hopkins was also cut as a 17 year old, so I guess he sucks then, right? I only heard part of a radio interview with a guy who was involved with the selection process who said that Nurse wasn't the "type" of player they were looking for...but wasn't able to hear the reason why. don't read too much into whether or not junior age players can make Team Canada or not, I have found, with Nuge being a great example of this, that in the long run, not being selected doesn't mean jack when it comes to being a good NHL player in the future. my only concern is that MacT has already made it known that our 1st rounder is already in play. if it's a top 5 pick, maybe he just needs to keep it and pick? this team still needs to continue to build it's developmental system.

#53 Rama Lama
December 26 2013, 12:02PM

I think the Oilers will play the balance of the season in strong form ( there will be no real pressure anymore) and pull off a bunch of wins. This means we will not be in the top five, if I'm correct when it comes to drafting.

I hope that somehow we end up with another first round draft choice through a trade prior to the trade deadline. If we can have multiple draft picks, that gives us a chance to draft Ekblad and really cement our defence.

Having another second round (to cover for the loss due to the Perron trade) would also give us some options. It seems to me that having good draft choices is the only real currency left for GM's as trades seem to be going extinct.

#54 Don W
December 26 2013, 04:21PM

Ekblad and McDavid will look good in OIlers silks. I have a hard time believing the Oilers won't be in contention to draft both. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

#55 madjam
December 26 2013, 06:43PM

A.Slepychev leads off with two goal performance for Russia .

#56 They're $hittie
December 26 2013, 07:59PM
HardBoiledOil wrote:

^I kind of see this every year.....the next year's players at the next draft are all more valuable than the previous draft's players. and, right, the Oilers scouts are "lazy" and show "too much love" to players playing on a winning team in our own back yard....and I don't know what reports you've been reading about the d-men, but other than Ekblad, I haven't read anywhere about any of the other top d-men in this draft being NHL ready! I doubt Nick Ritchie is on the Oiler radar, though I think he should be at his size. Lazar is out scoring Ritchie too.

the lazy comment was a joke

Picking a bunch of kids from a team that is stacked with overagers in junior and saying they will be good in the nhl because they win in the whl is not a reason to put all your eggs in one basket

the dman i am referring to that is nhl ready is Ekblad, did not mention any other one as being ready

more often than not a top 5 player in any draft will be better than the 17th in the previous draft no matter how deep it is

lazar should not be on the oilers radar because we want a number two center with size, trading gagner in for a younger same sized player just sets the rebuild back

Other than Ekblad, and exceptional Dman with size, a defensive game, an offensive game, a mean side who could be a number one dman, the oilers have options to fill the center position with a number two C with size or a powerforward winger with size.

But you would rather trade this pick for a player who is a year older that the oilers all ready have an abundance of. Unless your plan is to tank for McDavid than this makes no sense.

#57 Step Daddy J
December 26 2013, 08:16PM
Don W wrote:

If Edmonton Drafts Aron Ekblad in the 2014 nhl draft , mark my words , the Edmonton Oilers will make the 2015 nhl playoffs . Calgary or New Jersey can have Mc David aka Adam Oates 2.0 .

#58 Step Daddy J
December 26 2013, 08:19PM
HardBoiledOil wrote:

Nurse is already drafted when he was cut from Team Canada . Hopkins was not drafted yet . Nurse is a great D , but Ekblad is better . I hope we have both in our lineup next year 2014-2015 .

#59 JT
December 27 2013, 09:09AM

@Step Daddy J

Oh great, here comes the "play bad for Elblad" justification

#60 Step Daddy J
December 27 2013, 11:06AM
JT wrote:

Oh great, here comes the "play bad for Elblad" justification

Why not . You want a cup or two don't you ?? Aron Ekblad will give us that cup !!

#61 RexHolez
December 27 2013, 11:07AM
JT wrote:

Oh great, here comes the "play bad for Elblad" justification

That's what losers do! They justify losing! It's a mindset

#62 Step Daddy J
December 27 2013, 08:40PM
Step Daddy J wrote:

I guess the two dummies that trashed my last message don't want cups .