GDB 41: FLYERS V OILERS, BRYZ GETS PAID!

Lowetide
December 28 2013 02:18PM

In a season where we've seen Oiler goalies do the regrettable, the impossible awaits. After Devan Dubnyk posted the first Oiler shutout in Shametown ever, Ilya Bryzgalov has a chance to play his old team—the Philadelphia Flyers!

BIG FACTS!

Hello! Devan Dubnyk has an answer for every Calgary bullet, Ryan Smyth hearts a goal and then sends the slowest moving puck in NHL history into the net for a 2-0 win in Sin City. It was a beautiful moment, made even more enjoyable because the Flames were wearing their new "we have Crayola" uniforms.

But, enough about the past.

BIG NEWS

Dittrick brings the news: Martin Marincin, the tallest building in Edmonton, will draw into the lineup tonight for Corey Power Potterplay. I like it—give these towers a chance to play an NHL game or two and maybe they'll be regulars before I get the pension!

BIG BIG NEWS

Wait, there's more! The Oilers signed Mitchell Moroz to his entry level deal today, meaning he's bona fide and buying root beer floats for everyone! Seriously, congratulations to a guy who took a lot of heat for no reason (Moroz didn't control where he was drafted, only his performance and today's signing tells us he was plenty good enough) and this is a day us to congratulate him.

YAK CITY!

Russia's coolest export is BACK ON THE POWERPLAY according to coach Dallas Eakins! Music! I have no idea what he'll do, but will guess 'score with a ricochet off the shot clock" for the win.

LINEUP

• Hall-Nuge-Perron
  • Joensuu-Gagner-Ebs
  • Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
  • Gazdic-Lander-Yakupov
  • Ference-Petry
  • Belov-J Schultz
  • Marincin-N Schultz
  • Bryzgalov

BEAT THOSE FLYERS!!!

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Oilers take the Flyers to overtime before Wayne Simmonds walks Nick Schultz and Philly wins 4-3

NOT SO OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Bryzgalov turns into a real life Jigglypuff and sings the Flyers to sleep in a 7-1 romp.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#101 Arius Mumin
December 28 2013, 11:22PM
Quintana wrote:

Is there any chance we can send Samwise and our 1st to Philly for Couturier, thats what we need badly!!

Gagner is a curse.

Since he put on the Oilers jersey, the Oilers have done nothing but sucked. Check the stats. #@$% the corsi.

#102 Cold Hard Truth
December 28 2013, 11:30PM

Don Cherry said that the fan who through his jersey on the ice owes management an apology. That's rich. If anyone owes anyone an apology its Kevin Lowe to the fans for his offensive presence.

#103 Serious Gord
December 28 2013, 11:46PM
Cold Hard Truth wrote:

That the jersey toss made it all the way to HNIC tells you there is more to it than just one disgruntled fan. The oil were fortunate not to lose in cgy and could have shelled tonight were it not for an all world effort by Bryz. Imagine if they had lost those two games - more oiler memorabilia on the ice I bet.

#104 kdunbar
December 29 2013, 12:44AM

The game day predictions are so close to what actually happened it is scary.

#105 Wintoon
December 29 2013, 07:33AM

What is truly sad is that Don Cherry is still getting air time. I find his perspective on hockey, and often on hockey issues, to be off the mark. That, combined with his bigotry, is really a pain. Hopefully Rogers will put him out to pasture soon.

Would much rather here from an analyst like Bob MacKenzie or Elliotte Friedman. They bring a balanced view of the issues and make sense.

#106 Stack Pad Save
December 29 2013, 09:03AM
Wintoon wrote:

At the very least you must respect Don Cherry. He has an opinion and isn't afraid to say it. I can't stand guys like Friedman or MacKenzie who hide behind what they say by going "well this isn't my opinion I am just reporting what he said", but by the air time they give one side of the opinion it is obvious what their opinion is.

You might not agree with Don Cherry and that is fine, but the man offers insight into the game that very few other people are willing to give.

#107 michael
December 29 2013, 09:10AM
Serious Gord wrote:

41 games - halfway - and the oil have 30. Pts. Take away the four OT win pts and you get 26. That is the worst half-season performance in oiler history. And that is THE story tonight.

Gord statistically your without a doubt right. Cannot argue hard numbers. Yet Gord I like you have been a fan since I was kid in the 70s.I grew up as an Oilers fan. At 48 I have seen a share of games. The expectations going into this season from a lot of fans and some media were imo set to high.

Brownlee I believe had us 12th?Stauffer in the 10ish range. I was more in the 12-13 range.

My reasoning was and still is that MacT has several moves that he needs to make before this team can be competitive.

He signed Ference which I thought brought experience to our backend. He flushed Belanger in favor of Gordon who has been solid.But on the other hand he signed Belov. No NHL experience. He signed Garbagekov.Who proved once already he is no NHL dman. He signed Labarbra who I had mixed feelings about and was eventually proven right as to why I thought he was a risk.He corrected that in one sense but he had to pay Peter to pay Paul. Thus the Smid exit to Calgary. That was a direct cause and effect kind of deal.DD caused the effect by his own poor play early this season. Thus the need to sign IB. Who has been solid.

MacT signed Smack off waivers more as a reactionary move than anything.Gazdic he picked upon waivers too. And you can't argue Gazdic's contribution to this team.

The deal for Perron looks to be the deal of the year. Can't argue that deal.

The coaching. Here is where I take a breath and give my head a shake. A 4 year deal for an unproven NHL head coach. I shudder to think how Eakins must have jumped for joy when he signed that contract. Gord if its me I hire the best available coach with NHL experience. The first 30 games were a disaster. The live and learn motto comes to mind. Eakins found that the systems play he wanted to implement did not match the experience or the kind of talent he had on the ice. Brutal. The PP. Still a disaster and with Yak and Shultz finally earning PP time once again it might improve after the Olympic break. As far as the assistant coaches go I could care less.I hold Eakins responsible for the teams performance. Not Huey Duey and Louie.

The Oilers need a house with skill and who can skate. Last night we saw Simmonds eat our lunch. Need a guy like that. Finding one is like finding needle in a haystack. The defence. It will be 2-3 years before we can honestly say we have one that is competitive at the NHL level. Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin all will take time to learn. (Add Ekblad?)

The learning process takes time. Teams that we have seen win the Cup have gone through that process. Losing, drafting, developing. Winning. when we lose to teams like Chicago, LA, Anaheim, St Louis,San Jose and Vancouver I am not thrilled. But when you look at how much experience their top 6 players have vs the Oilers top 6 its not even close. Their coached by guys with so many NHL games under their belt that its almost unfair. Eakins to a guy like Hitchcock is an ant. Boot meet ant. Presto 6-0. Eakins is so outclassed right now by the WC's top 8 teams coaches its not funny. He'll learn the hard way as they all did at this level. But till then there will be nights when boot will meet ant and more likely than not we'll be the ant.

I can't help but feel your passion on the radio and in your posts. I too am passionate about the Oilers. This is not the season to throw anger into the wind. Its going to get worse before it gets better. Eakins will continue to learn. Yak will continue to learn. JS will learn that his own end comes first. Gagner might learn to backcheck. And DD might learn that he has stop the easy shots too.

Its not easy being us. I hate looking at the standing and seeing us in 14th. But I have faith in MacT and he'll do the right thing.

There is another set of games coming up in January that look like deaths row. Should be fun to see where the emotions will be then.

Happy New Year Gord

#108 Turnover
December 29 2013, 11:40AM
The real minnow wrote:

Hey everyone with Dennis Seidenberg sidelined for the rest of the year there may be a suitor for mister Nickolas Pylon Shultz.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!

Wow. That is rich. You must believe Boston is where they are by making stupid moves.

I believe they had three rookie d-men in their lineup aganist Ottawa. All very much above the level of Shultz(either one of them).

Here's what the Bruins have, that the Oilers don't have. 1)No rings Neely. Competent person in his position.

2)GM that knows what's needed to compete. And gets it.

3)A professional scouting group finding "people who go to work"

4)Professional coaching staff. Both competent and intelligent.

5)All players with dedication, determination, grit and ability to do their job.

6)The "me" player Seguin, sent packing. No team concept. No grit. In return, they picked up the people who could be coached.

7)TEAM.

Look at that. I just gave you 7 ways to build a team. ONE more reason then LOWE has rings.

I think I know a thing or two about winnig. How many of these seven do this Oilers group have in place? If you check even one, you probablt believe Boston would trade Rask, Chara and a couple first liners for Dubnyk.

Your Oilers are about 10 players away from "playoff contenders", and 16 away from Cup contenders.

You may or may not like the sweater tosser. I ave more respect for him/her then just about anybody in this organization at this point.

#109 FireKLowe
December 29 2013, 08:53PM
Wintoon wrote:

Don Cherry is nothing but a racist blowhard. I can't see Rogers keeping him.

#110 Jimmeh
December 30 2013, 11:18AM

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins put on a show for the home crowd, but the big news is Bryzgalov stopping 42 shots. -----

These predictions are incredibly accurate, was this edited??