GDB 29.0: SHOW UP AT HOME

Jason Gregor
December 03 2013 01:24PM

Home ice advantage has been a mirage for the Edmonton Oilers so far this season.

The Oilers are 3-8-0 at home this year. They've been outscored 38-23. They've allowed 3+ goals in 9 of the 11 home games and they've scored once or been shutout seven times. There is no other way to say it, they've been awful on home ice, and it's about time they start giving their fans something to cheer about.

In 2010, on their way to drafting Taylor Hall at least they were competitive at home, 18-19-4, and 9-28-4 on the road.
In 2011, they were pretty much the same team at home on and on the road; 13-22-6 at home and 12-23-6 on the road.
In 2012, they were 18-17-6 at home, and 14-23-4 on the road.

Last year, the Oilers won more games on the road than they did at home, 9-11-4 at home and 10-11-3 on the road.

There is no reason the Oilers should be this horrendous at Rexall Place, and it has to change. The games are still announced as sell outs, but I know some fans are wasting their tickets and not showing up. The Oilers must be aware of this.

When that many fans elect to just "waste" their tickets, Oilers management better take notice. This happened in the early 90s, and once the team wasn't competitive, 1993-1996, the fans stopped buying tickets. The Oilers shouldn't be naive enough to believe that couldn't happen again.

Fans have been incredibly loyal and patient, but if the Oilers don't start winning some home games soon, I sense we could see even more empty seats as the season progresses.

LINEUP

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Jones-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Acton-Joensuu

Ference-Petry
Grebeshkov-J.Schultz
Belov-N.Schultz

Dubnyk

Ryan Jones has played with desperation since coming out of the pressbox, and Eakins rewarded him by bumping him up the lineup. Eakins moved Yakupov back to the right wing, and put Perron on the right side with him and Arcobello in hopes of creating two scoring lines.

I'm curious to see if Eakins starts to try and get better matchups at home. Will he try to give "softer" minutes to Arcobello's line so they can produce offence, or will he do that with the Gagner trio?

Joensuu has to play with the same passion and determination that Jones did to earn a promotion. I think Joensuu has more to offer, and he needs to start showing it.

TUESDAY TIDBITS...

• It will be back next week, but this week we incorporated into the GDB.

• Ray Ferraro had an interesting take on my show regarding Taylor Hall, when I asked him what change Hall should make in his game that would help him become a more dominant player.
    I think there is one thing he could do that would elevate his game and he could do it quickly. If he would learn, or accept, that he is not the best option on the ice all the time, I think that could help him a great deal.

I will give you an example. When he gets the puck, and when he gets moving, if he would give it up a little quicker and separate, because no one is going to catch him, and then get it back; that small change to his game would change his game immensely. He loves to lug the puck. At times he looks like a punt returner. He gets it in his zone and is going to go as far as he can with it, and he can because he's that talented.

I think if he takes a couple of strides and moves it to a centreman -- and obviously in Edmonton he is playing with talented players so the puck will come back to him --now he is moving again. If he moves it to the middle the defenceman has to take a step to the middle, because he has to defend the centreman, and that will give Taylor another five feet when he gets the puck back. Now the D-man has to cross over and come back, and I like Hall's chances better if he has that much more room to skate, than if he was just lugging the puck all the time.

I think it is a small change, and if he can get his head around it and try it, he would find that he is going to get more room on the ice than he already creates with his speed.

• Ferraro knows a thing or two about creating offensive chances. Ferraro is currently the 99th highest scoring player in NHL history. Ferraro admitted it isn't easy for players to make sudden changes to their game, and while he said it was small, it would take some time to adapt properly. Hall has carried the puck his entire career, and he's had success with it, so any change is tough, but it makes a lot of sense. Hall's speed already scares D-men, and if he gain a quarter or a half of a step advantage he could be even more dangerous.

• Sidney Crosby will play his 499th game tonight, and he'll play his 500th game vs. the Sharks on Thursday. Crosby already has 701 points in 498 games and whatever points his picks up in the next 72 hours will put leave him with the 6th most points in NHL history through 500 games.

Wayne Gretzky is first with 1,186.
    Mario Lemieux tallied 971.
    Peter Stastny had 759.
    Mike Bossy scored 757.
    Jari Kurri is 5th with 730.

Crosby will join a very elite crew, being only the 6th player in NHL history to score 700+ points in his first 500 games.

• In case you are wondering, Alex Ovechkin had 643 points in his first 500 games, including 309 goals.

• The Penguins ability to throw out two dominant centres makes life much easier for head coach Dan Bylsma. While Crosby had a "slow" month, picking up 15 points in 15 games, Evgeni Malkin was on fire with 25 points in 15 games. After a slow start Malkin is now 2nd in league scoring, 35 points, and he's only one back of Crosby.

• I was perplexed in the summer when some people didn't have Corey Perry on the Olympic team. He was great in 2010, and I don't think his foot speed is an issue. He and Ryan Getzlaf are off to a great start, with 29 and 31 points respectively. For me, both of them are locks to make the squad.

• I wonder if the St. Louis Blues are concerned about how they match up vs. the Sharks and Kings. The Sharks have beat them 6-2 and 6-3 this year, while the Kings dominated the Blues for 55 minutes last night, before two late goals made the 3-2 final look more respectable.

• The Blues need a pure finisher, and Marian Gaborik is a UFA at the end of the season. The Blue Jackets likely won't re-sign him, and he would fit perfect in St. Louis. Gaborik won't lead your team to the Cup, but he could be an excellent complementary player in their top-six. With David Backes and Alex Steen down the middle, the Blues don't need a defensively responsible scorer. They need a finisher. The Blues have about $2 million in cap space at the deadline, and if they are willing to spend it, they could fit Gaborik under the cap, by moving out a small salary.

• The Coyotes have scored the 5th most goals in the western conference, but only Calgary and the Oilers have given up more goals. Mike Smith has a .307 GAA and a respectable .910 SV%. He hasn't played as well as they would like, but the Coyotes are giving up way too many shots. The Coyotes, 34.5, are giving up four more shots against than the Oilers, 30.5.

• Dave Tippett's Coyotes aren't playing as defensively as they have in the past.

TONIGHT...

GAME DAY PREDICTION: The Coyotes have lost four of their last five, and they've given up 4 goals in each loss. The Oilers finally give their fans something to cheer about as defeat a playoff team for only the 2nd time this season. Oilers win 4-1.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Hemsky picks up a point. He has 34 points in 33 career games vs. the Coyotes.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Justin Schultz becomes the first Oiler D-man to score two goals in a game since Corey Potter did it late last season. After reading the previous sentence, many of you are stunned that Potter was the last Oiler D-man to score two goals in a game. I was too. Entering tonight the six blueliners have played a combined 2,118 NHL games, and Andrew Ference is the only one to have a multi-goal game. He scored twice on January 5th, 2004. J.Schultz' two goals will indeed be a rare occurrence.

DAY FOUR...MONTH OF GIVING...

Yesterday we raised another $2,500 for Santas Anonymous. Thanks to Ken for the bid and especially to Robert for re-donating the Messier jersey.

It includes:

You can bid by calling 780.444.1260 or 1.800.243.1945. All the proceeds will go to the Christmas Bureau. Thanks in advance to all of those who make a bid.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Arius Mumin
December 03 2013, 01:31PM

Egins is a joke!

I wonder who really runs this team: Hall or Eberle? Everyline and everyplayer has been shuffled around on the regular, yet, their line stays together-no matter the lack of success on EV and PP.

Oilers didn't want to bring in an expierenced coach this year, because by now he would have put Hall and Eberle in their place and we would have a bigger problem than not winning.

#2 Quicksilver ballet
December 03 2013, 01:29PM
Props

Those Pucking Coyotes school our developemental Oilers squad 5-2 this evening.

Continue to do nothing Mac T, accept failure/preach patience and stay the tankage course.

#3 Arius Mumin
December 03 2013, 01:32PM
Props

If those are two of our best players(like we're being told, not shown) wouldn't it make sense to sprinkle some of that wealth through out the line-up?

#4 Pouzar99
December 03 2013, 06:30PM
Props

I have been a season ticket holder for most of the past 35 years and have no intention of changing that despite my frustration at the Oilers team play, particularly on home ice this year. I make no judgement about those who plan to drop their season tickets, as it is their call. I gave my tickets up for two years after the Gretzky sale, but came back for the 1990 playoffs. My decision.

I sit up with my mates in the front rows of the gallery and we have a pretty good time at $30 per ticket. Fortunately for me I can easily afford it. If you don't want to go, stay home. Watch the games on TV or not at all. End of story. Spare me the lectures about how I should be following suit, however. This organization has made serious mistakes in recent years and I totally agree that some people need to go, but the suggestion that what the club needs is less support is, frankly, stupid.

#5 Arius Mumin
December 03 2013, 04:14PM
Benny Botts wrote:

This is by far one of the worse and misguided comments I have seen on ON.

I will have to assume to you are both a liar and delusional.

There is comments worse that on daily basis.

Misguided? How you figure? Do you watch the Oilers play?

There is not one Oiler, so far this season, that I recall seening turn the puck over more than Hall, or made more senseless passes/shots that brought plays to a halt. I don't know where to find the stats for it but I bet they would say the same.

The PP unit of Hall, Eberle and RNH has not been affective all season long. The 3 of them do not appear to be a threat to 2nd PK units of weak opposition. Why then does "someone" continue to keep them together on nightly bases expecting for something to change, while changing the rest of the lines around and even bringing up players that shouldn't be playing. I have not been keeping track but I doubt that for most of the time that they even face the other teams top players at even strenght.

But please do tell me what is misguided about my comment-so I can better understand your tier of thinking.

Every team has a leader? No? i was just curious if when it came to the Oilers it was Hall or Eberle. Fair question.

There is a lot of proof to support my comment that every line and player have been shuffled around, no? There is also a lot of proof to show that Hall and Eberle have not been producing on the PP and even strenght as of late, no?

From what I have seen-Hall and Eberle get the most shifts, and some are really long ones, than any other Oiler. For most of those shifts both players are not very threathing or affective, yet they are continued to be put out there and rewarded with shifts and playing time, while their teammates(some who are working better and harder than the two mentioned) are being shuffled around like they were at a bar dance.

I have a hard time seeing and believing that all this shuffling is necesarry outside of the top 3-as if it them 3 doing all the work and the rest of their teammates not keeping up.

My comment about another coach is just my opinion, don't let it get to you.

#6 PapaMike
December 03 2013, 10:05PM
JJ wrote:

Why does this arena continue to sell out? As a fan, why would you want to pay any money to see this piece of **** team play. Can anyone answer this for me? Don't you get it by now? You're just going to get ****** over and over and you don't learn.

Anyway, I'm very happy at the current score. Blow these bastards out, Phoenix. Dubnyk, get the **** out of edmonton. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, mother ******

I am wondering why you are watching them on TV? oh, your mom won't let you stay up late. Go on and watch Glee and you will be much happier.

#7 Benny Botts
December 03 2013, 03:07PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

Egins is a joke!

This is by far one of the worse and misguided comments I have seen on ON.

#8 Wohin gehst du?
December 04 2013, 07:26AM
Props

Just a thought. Call up Omark. 4th in AHL scoring, and only -5. he could get something going with Smyth and Arcobello...

#9 They're $hittie
December 03 2013, 02:05PM

Which Line should take the Cherry minutes>

Props for Arcobello-Yak-Perron

Trash for Gagner-Hemsky-Jones

#10 They're $hittie
December 03 2013, 02:21PM
A-Mc wrote:

Gagner's line because he can't win a draw to save his life.

I have much more faith in Arco and Perron to get the puck into the proper zone and sustain pressure.

Gagners a lot better than Nuge on the dot, By this reasoning you would have Nuge playing fourth line minutes. I'd rather have hockey players than face punchers, and NHL players than AHL players who can take face offs.

Watch the face offs really close, there are a lot of battles for the puck where the wingers are breaking out or do not help on the draw causing our centers a lot of losses that should not be.

Me Personally Gagner and Hemsky and Jones have more experience so between the two, Gagners line takes the toughs.

#11 Lofty
December 03 2013, 03:59PM
Props

Props to everyone who doesn't use their tickets!

#12 Craig1981
December 03 2013, 09:00PM
Rob F wrote:

For a sell out .....lots if empty seats....I'm not the only one that's had enough It's a boring experience. That's for sure

Keep in mind there has been a crazy 2 day snow storm. I think that explains a lot of the empty ones

#13 They're $hittie
December 03 2013, 09:42PM
Hockey fan 1976 wrote:

So exactly how many games does Ganger has to play after getting back to make people realize he's not as good as people think and Arco is a much better and cheaper option. God we are awful on defence!!!! And Eakins sucks!!!

2 goals and 1 dissallowed goal was arcos fault, one was partially gagners and you are saying arco is a better option. wow.

#14 God
December 03 2013, 03:00PM
Props

The more I watch Gags play this year, the more I want to feed him to a woodchipper.

Arco is a reasonable replacement for him. When Gordo comes back, trade Gags.

#15 madjam
December 03 2013, 04:35PM
Props

Oilers snowball Coyotes 6-0 . Improving Gagner has big nite .

#16 MoneyMoe
December 03 2013, 09:48PM
Props

Time to Make a SERIOUS move Mack!!

Old Shultz to Carolina For Dman T.Gleason ...

Larson & draft pick to Pens for Dman D.Engelland...

And Hemsky, Omark draft pick to Philly for Wayne Simmonds!

All of a Sudden we have players who can "Play" "hit" and fight if or when needed in the regular rotation ...

If u can't pull 1 off. Then let's go after the young Russian Dman from Florida

#17 Rheal1
December 04 2013, 04:31AM
Props

Congrats to Kevin Lowe & Darryl Katz!!!! Oilers are the first team to reach 100 GA!!! Great vision for management!!! I can hear the kids demanding a trade anytime now!!! Can you say bye bye Deadmonton Oilers, welcome Seattle Oilers? Good riddance.

#18 post to post
December 04 2013, 11:47AM
Props

Why doesn't any of the D-men pass to hemmer when he's flying up the right side into the offensive zone, this happen like 20 times this year, hemmer is waiting and wanting the puck but the D pass it to the center or left wing all the time.

I remember when we started the rebuild and the oil didn't score for like five games, then hemmer came back from a injury and scored our first goal in how many games in his first shift.

PASS TO HEMPSKY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna be entertained.

#19 Walter Sobchak
December 03 2013, 02:51PM
They're $hittie wrote:

Does it matter? Gagner & Hemsky leak chances, there a disaster in there own end and have zero push back.

In the end if Gagner or Arcobelo is going up against Reberio or Hanzel line they are already at a disadvantage.

PHX top two lines are just simply better then the Oilers, maybe not skill wise but just better hockey players at this point.

#20 They're $hittie
December 03 2013, 03:15PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Not that I dont agree with this, I was just asking for a props or trash for the personal preference.

But for those who think after 20 games that arco is a replacement for Gagner get your head out of your arse.

We thought Gagner was a replacement for an elite first line center in his rookie year. Much the way Calgary thinks Monohan will be the best center in the game next year. 20 games people, and he is playing desperate because his nhl career depends on it. He is not better nor will he be better than Gagner.

EDIT: and if they are not in there own end against the tougher competition than does it matter how they play in their own end. If you out play the other line it isnt in your own end.

#21 They're $hittie
December 03 2013, 09:34PM
Props

Well the argument for arcobello as a better defensive option and a second line center replacement is being put to sleep tonight.

I like the guy but you cant make a stupid presumption after 20 game sample/

#22 Arius Mumin
December 04 2013, 12:35AM
Props

I doubt that Dubnyk would be a good goalie in the AHL.

If Egins thought Arco had a bad game: I would love for someone to ask him what he thought of Gagner's.

What exactly did Egins work on in practice with his PP units? Those combinations and efforts are a joke.

The thing that I'm most excited about for the rest of the season is the positive spin the local MSM will try to take while this sh!t show keeps unfolding before out eyes. As soon as the Olympics are done, they will start selling us on how excited we as fans should be at seeing Hall and Eberle at the2018 Olympics. Meanwhile CrushBoys will continue to cycle the puck to no avail on the 1st PP unit.

If Mac is going to keep pretending that Egins is an NHL coach, he should at least do the poor Yak kid a favour and trade him. In tonights game, while the Oilers were down by 2 goals in the 3rd period, Egins had Yak playing with Acton and Juonuouuo(whateverthe#@$%), while once again through thick and thicker the Crush Boys remained.

#23 Taylor Gang
December 04 2013, 08:20AM

820 comments?!?! Wow this fanbase is mad

#24 Feddie
December 03 2013, 01:48PM
forsoothed wrote:

Friends and I split a pair of season tickets and we're among those who've wasted some this year, including tonight. Well, we don't actually waste them, we donate them, but you get my drift.

There are loads of empty seats each game... the atmosphere at Rx is definitely different this year. Anyone else have the same experience?

I can't sell my tickets for half their face value - it's even tough to give them away on many nights! Definitely my last year as a seson ticket holder after 24 years!

#25 TayLordBalls
December 03 2013, 01:56PM
Props

that's a very good second line!

#26 Spydyr
December 03 2013, 04:06PM
Props

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: When two of your top three centres are Hobbits the outcome is not very good. Besides it is the first game home after a road trip.They never win those.Sad night as Oilers lose.

#27 Spydyr
December 03 2013, 04:18PM
Taylor Gang wrote:

Gagner and Yakupov need to pick their game up. No excuses

It's been seven years for Gagner I would not expect any Christmas miracles.Yak is lost right now and that is on his coach.

#28 6 ring circus
December 03 2013, 06:33PM
Props

I have been a long time season seat holder and the last few years its been getting harder to give tickets away,it takes six or seven calls before I can find anyone who want's the tickets for FREE,I have them posted on Kijji and the Oiler's site with no luck and they are posted way below face value,there have been a few games this year were no one wanted them at all,this is my last season subsidizing the Oilers,I am done supporting the old boy's club Six rings and the gang!!!

#29 Reg Dunlop
December 03 2013, 10:00PM
Props

To see the amount of concern on Hall's face says it all. Future captain material.

#30 LOIL
December 03 2013, 02:05PM
Props

Oilers got to stop being soft, crashing into our goalies, throwing our 1st line around, coming into our barn and embarrass us in front of our home crowd. If I know hockey players you never allow anyone to come into your barn and steal the show. We have a 'heavy' 4th line that's all we got when it comes to being solid. I mean Gagner scrapping showed some, but J Schultz watching garbage there smash into our goalie is lousy! Cowboy Up Oilers

#31 Walter Sobchak
December 03 2013, 02:41PM
Props

I gave tonight's tix away, still won't be renewing for next year.

I'm still saying the last 10 to 12 games are not a good sample of the reality that is the Oilers.

Same team, same issues and mostly playing non-playoff teams during this stretch. The team looked good, not great and bloody awful mixed in for good times.

The real Oilers will show up after the Avalanche game. After that, it's going to be few and far between.

OGDP - Oilers vs playoff team.......not a good night for fans.

#32 Pouzar99
December 03 2013, 06:29PM

#33 Richard
December 03 2013, 10:03PM
Props

How many times can we say FIRE KEVIN LOWE?

Look at the results since the 2005 lockout.

Liberals live in a world of intentions and reality smacks them in their face.

How many smacks does Daryl need?

#34 Floyd Jiveson
December 04 2013, 12:42AM
Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Well that sucked

You need to stop posting you stoop.

#35 Reg Dunlop
December 04 2013, 01:30AM
Props

Hi, my name is Reg and I'm a troll loser from Calgary. I have a severe case of Edmonton envy.

#36 Greasy Goal
December 04 2013, 09:37AM
Hall the time wrote:

I cant take the losing anymore, fire the coaching staff and start winning Oilers.

I have enough stress in my life I'm done with the oiler this year.

They tried that. Basically everyone has either been fired or not resigned. All except Lowe. Lowes only saving grace is that he has a spot on Team Canadas board. Other than that he's been less than useless. If Hall doesn't make the Olympic team, im gonna have to start flipping some tables.

#37 Puck JammeR!
December 04 2013, 10:02AM
Props

Trade one of Hall or Eberle this season. They know they're untouchable as the first line wingers into eternity and it seems like every defenceman in the league has got a bead on their ticky-tacky, toe drag, over-handle the puck, no-hit style. The game they play isn't going to work in the NHL and they're never going to change it.

#38 geoilersgist
December 04 2013, 10:14AM
Props

Wow over 830 comments! Yup it is about to get real for the Oilers. The fan base is about to explode if something doesn't happen

#39 Clarko
December 04 2013, 10:33AM
Puck JammeR! wrote:

Hall & Eberle may not be perfect, but Hall has 123 points in his last 128 games. And Eberle has 136 points in his last 155 games. The stats say that these guys give NHL defensemen at least a little bit to worry about.

They both need to be more consistent, but trading your two most offensively gifted players on an offensively-challenged team would be a big mistake.

#40 nick
December 04 2013, 11:12AM
Clarko wrote:

I agree that there isn't anybody who is untouchable, but I don't think the top two offensive players on the team are the major problem and trading them for more grit but less scoring will not help this team.

This team has one of the worst defensive cores in the league with extremely inconsistent goaltending. Dubnyk looks like he could be a very good goalie on some nights and then totally looks like he would struggle on a beer-league team the next night.

And yet somehow MacTavish trades one of his better defencemen to Calgary for a small centre iceman playing in the minors and a prospect goaltender. What an idiot

#41 "Tears a Streamin" 1 fan
December 04 2013, 11:29AM
bleedblue wrote:

I saw lots of empty seats. If ticket holders refuse to go at least find some kids that cant afford the NHL experience. Lots of kids enjoy the circus. Seriously find some kids worthy.

I'm "wasting" $20,000 a year on season tickets, this is the only voice I have left.

Let them play in front of empty seats. That is what this organization deserves. Maybe if we stay away long enough, the Oilers will call to ask if we plan on coming back to the games.

I'll tell them to "just be patient" !!!

That would be justice.

#42 Will
December 03 2013, 01:33PM
Props

As someone who was really excited to get a minnie pack, watching the Oilers at home has been a waste of money.

I watched Dubnyk lose what was an otherwise good home opener. I watched back to back shut outs against Toronto and then Dallas. Then Finally, at long last, the last home game I went to was the 7-0 blow out against Columbus.

Needless to say I am no longer going out of my way to get tickets.

#43 Arius Mumin
December 03 2013, 04:19PM
Taylor Gang wrote:

Gagner and Yakupov need to pick their game up. No excuses

What is:"something Taylor said to his coach this morning."?

#44 Wax Man Riley
December 03 2013, 05:06PM
Taylor Gang wrote:

What?

Asphinctersays what?

#45 David S
December 03 2013, 06:29PM
Props

The site is really SLOOOOOOW. Wonder if Wanye is getting ready to pull off some fat stack deal with a Rogers sponsorship of the Nations.

Oilers Nation corporate suites for everybody!

#46 Serious Gord
December 03 2013, 07:53PM
Props

Might be the toughest game to predict this season so far. Could be lopsided either way but with dubnyk in net I'm picking PHX 5-3

#47 Poolanov
December 03 2013, 08:05PM
Props

Taylor Hall has been bloody AWFUL in the last ten games. All year for that matter. How do you not score that goal...

#48 biggie small
December 03 2013, 09:44PM

Coilers should belongs to KHL... This is the honest truth...,

#49 FireKLowe
December 03 2013, 09:46PM
Larry wrote:

Dubnyk needs to go...

I literally hate that son of a bitch along with the coach, management, and the stupid Sportsnet commentators.

#50 Alsker
December 03 2013, 10:00PM
Props

Some emotion from Ference, good on him!!!!!