PUMPIN UP E-TOWN

Wanye
December 04 2013 08:47PM

Time for another article that focuses on the “Edmonton” part of the “Edmonton Oilers Hockey Blog” that you see on the heading of the site. If you are looking to read about the calculated odds of the Oilers shooting out of 14th place in the West read on.

You have been warned.

One of our goals here at the Nation is to ring the bell of Edmonton loud and clearly for everyone to hear. There are a great many people reading this site that don't live in Edmonton and we want to convey all the awesome that is living in Alberta's Capital City. Today we are happy to announce that The Nation Network is teaming up with Edmonton Tourism to help us do that even more.

We have been all over hells half acre on this globe and we can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that E-town is the best city on Earth. And as a proud resident of Edmonton we have started a new program to use the Nation Network and the blogosphere in general as a way to promote Edmonton - bringing in Nation Bloggers and internet types in general from different sites to show them what living large in Edmonton and going to the game on a minus 40 night is all about.

We will showcase the unprecedented potency of a Rexall Beer. We will show these out of towners how to line up at the Pint Downtown without a winter jacket in the middle of the winter. We will introduce them to Oilers fans and Edmonton and show them why it was voted “100000x better than Calgary” in a recent poll of a single unnamed hockey blogger.

And it won’t stop there. There are a great many initiatives in Edmonton that are on the horizon that we will help promote. From embracing the winter lifestyle by being outdoors, to festivals and concerts to artfully dodging potholes while balancing an XL Tim Hortons Double-Double on your knee.

INCEPTION ONE: STEVE DANGLE

Steve Dangle came in a few weeks back and we showed him around town. We went to the mall and looked at the world’s largest indoor rollercoaster, took in an Oilers game, kindly let the Leafs destroy us kind hosts. Then we took Steve to the Pint and Oodle Noodle hitting the Oilers fan hat trick on the screws.

He seemed to come away with a positive experience despite being ill which meant he could only have a sip of a Rexall Beer for fear that it would interact with his antibiotics. That’s people in Toronto for you, always on antibiotics.

One thing we won’t be doing with these strangers is apologizing for winter. You can see on the new backsplash ad on the site that the City of Edmonton is about done trying to change the weather. Despite over 100 years of curses from Edmontonians it’s still dark and cold for most of the winter months. But it should be embraced not feared. Even on a tiny level, getting outside only for a moment as you run from house to car to office and back.

It really isn’t all that bad.

Finally to all our readers in Northern Alberta, minting coin and working in camps you should really pop down here when you do have days off. We have the sturdiest dance floors in Western Canada, the loudest slot machines this side of Reno and a variety of other amenities to keep you entertained.

Haven’t you heard? “Edmonton is the Las Vegas of the North.” Who made this quote? I did. Does that make it a thing? It sure does.

Teaming up with Edmonton Tourism will allow us to step our efforts as ambassadors of Edmonton to the kind folks on the internet. Sounds like a hell of a job to us.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Mike Krushelnyski
December 04 2013, 09:33PM

Shut up

#2 Ales Hallsky
December 04 2013, 08:56PM

I almost believed you!! The I realised that it is the new company line to tow...

please tell your boy eebs to throw a punch or two. As he goes the oil go.

#3 YakZ
December 04 2013, 10:52PM

Edmonton International Airport expansion, Rogers Place and a new Downtown Entertainment & Arts District, new Downtown redevelopment projects, newly announced 45-acre Outlet Mall to be built, Wanye Gretz running for Mayor...YEG is gonna be one SEXY city in the next few years! Lots to be excited about for Edmontonians! SUCK IT CALGARY!

#4 Steve Dangle
December 04 2013, 09:53PM

HEY HEY HEY...I finished my beer, sir!

#5 Shane Clausing
December 04 2013, 10:28PM

I can't wait for the new arena!

#6 Travis Dakin
December 04 2013, 08:57PM

I LOVE Edmonton.

#7 Curcro
December 04 2013, 09:57PM

What's with the picture of Brasov Romania that you are trying to sell off as Edmonton, I spent the first 24 years of my life in Edmonton and I have never been able to see mountains from Edmonton. Just saying. :)

2 Photos that could take it's place.

#8 Walter Sobchak
December 04 2013, 09:10PM

Who doesn't like shrinkage!

Edmonton rocks!

#9 Say what again
December 04 2013, 09:59PM

I dunno, it's hard to hold out for hope right now. It felt like -30 with wind chill tonight and it's not even the coldest month of winter yet. And it's only supposed to get colder this week. I've lived here all my life and for some reason it gets worse as I get older.

#10 Primo
December 04 2013, 10:28PM

Yes I'm a die hard Flames fan. I am not trying to be a smart ass, just providing my honest opinion from cowtown.

Your ownership is refusing to hold Kevin Lowe accountable for this disaster. That is not startling news to Oilers fans. Unfortunately as long as ownership continues with this practice the Oilers will continue to be a sewer team. Your owner is obviously a successful business man and as long as he is selling season's tickets nothing will change.

#11 D
December 04 2013, 09:48PM

I left Edmonton over 16 years ago. I miss my homies.

#12 spliff
December 04 2013, 10:22PM

I left E-Town 15 years ago and have traveled all over Europe and Asia. Can say without a doubt that Edmontonians are friendly, generous and unpretentious. My kind of people. Miss Edmonton all the time and hope the Oil can turn it around someday.

#13 Loyal Oil
December 04 2013, 10:27PM

You know what would make Edmonton a whole lot better....even, dare I say Great? A WINNING hockey team! Fire Kevin Lowe!!!

#14 Cam Charron
December 04 2013, 11:22PM

I went to Edmonton when I was 10, but Wanye didn't even take me to Oodle Noodle.

Heck, Wanye didn't even know I existed when I went to Edmonton. Now I want Oodle Noodle. Oddles of noodles.

#15 HOFFFF
December 05 2013, 01:55AM

Rogers Place sounds like a coffee shop or a house down the street belonging to some old timer. Wanyes World would have been better.

#16 jbogus
December 05 2013, 03:59AM

Born in the chuck a while back and sitting in bed absolutely freezing....except I now live in Australia. So I Google the weather in yeg and suddenly felt warm.

I don't miss that cold and it's only going to get colder boys.

#17 george mcfly
December 05 2013, 09:02AM

I think it's fantastic that your teaming up with Edmonton Tourism to promote our fine city; however I find it somewaht ironic that in an article used to promote our city you use perhaps the most unflattering picture imaginable of our downtown core (the initial picture). It looks like it was taken by a nine year old with a cell phone from 2002. Come on guys - me thinks you can do better than that!

#18 Rama Lama
December 05 2013, 11:04AM

Hey I love the Oilers, but could not live in Edmonton so I moved to Calgary.

Mainly for the weather, which can be night and day difference between the cities.

It's so hard being an Oilers fan right now, but I can't change at this stage of my life. It's also sad to see the Flames re-build so drastically ahead of the Oilers. I get ribbed every day by Flames Fans, still I refuse to switch teams.

Well at least we have Mr. Hair for a coach........not Mr. Bully.

#19 ValleyviewSports
December 05 2013, 01:32AM

@YakZ

and one last cup in rexy

#20 Dave240
December 05 2013, 07:58AM

Is that last photo actually supposed to be Edmonton? Because it isn't.

Shouldn't Edmonton Tourism have supplied photos of our city?

#21 Chainsawz
December 05 2013, 09:12AM
george mcfly wrote:

Add that to the last pic which even isn't of this city. And a snow heart, a second grader could do better.

Why does Wanye hate Edmonton so much? If you start asking for a trade to a different market, we aren't obliging.

#22 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
December 05 2013, 09:14AM

Wanye, I get that snow and Edmonton go hand in hand. But for the love of God will you please change the background? The white on white on white on white on white is searing the retinas.

#25 VK63
December 05 2013, 08:01AM

@YakZ

Wanyes running for mayor?

Nice!!

#27 ubermiguel
December 05 2013, 09:56AM

I for one welcome our new business partnership with Tourism Edmonton. As an occasional hockey blog poster I can be useful in recruiting people to toil in cheering for the Oilers and buying oodles of noodles.

#28 YakZ
December 05 2013, 10:04AM

@Jordan Nugent-Hallkins

Edmontonians are by far the "coolest" (pun intended) people in Canada because we wear sunglasses all year round! You aren't truly an Edmontonian until you can handle the beautiful shimmery blindness of the snow.

#29 Dean Belanger
December 05 2013, 10:20AM

Wanye never took me to Oodle Noodle either...bastard! (where is my machete?)

#30 MSG
December 05 2013, 10:55AM

"It really isn’t all that bad"- ths should be on the welcome to Edmonton signs.

#31 He Who Knows
December 05 2013, 11:07AM

E-town knows how to party in the harshest of weather conditions plus the whole town comes together in the time of despising Kevin Lowe. Keep it G wanye.

#32 Ales Hallsky
December 05 2013, 12:27PM

Its funny how all the ex-pats say they miss our city so much...But not really...cause where they are is warmer

#33 tom.MTL
December 05 2013, 01:13PM

I contracted herpes in Edmonton,,,

but then I went to Calgary to spread it.

#34 rubbertrout
December 05 2013, 01:39PM

I find that drinking beer at lunch makes me quite sleepy.

#35 Greasy Goal
December 05 2013, 01:55PM

@YakZ

We just had an election. Is Wayne running next term?

#36 YakZ
December 05 2013, 02:49PM

@Greasy Goal

In 4 years everything should be close to being finished and built, the only next logical step would be Wanye for mayor! Maybe as mayor he can pressure Katz into firing K-Lowe?

#37 Johnnydapunk
December 05 2013, 03:19PM

I had left Edmonton quite a while ago and lived in A few countries in Europe and then "settled" UK. I'm back in Edmonton now for the time being and my god it gets b*tch cold here! I had forgotten how crazy it is!!

The one thing that Edmonton does better I think is the way that stupid cold and crazy snow doesn't stop anything, 5 cm of snow and London was crippled. Here, 20 cms fall overnight, you just shovel the walks and get on with the day. Incredible

#38 Greasy Goal
December 05 2013, 04:46PM

@YakZ

Haha yeah, that would be nice. IF he's still around that is.. ah who am i kidding, he'll be here untill he turns 70 and is senile.