Anton Belov Demoted

Jonathan Willis
December 05 2013 03:48PM

The Oilers have announced the demotion of Anton Belov to the AHL's Oklahoma City Barons.

Key Questions

1. Did the Oilers need the roster space with their recent call-ups?

The Oilers official roster currently shows 14 healthy forwards, seven defencemen and two goaltenders. That's a full NHL roster, but Boyd Gordon could easily be shuffled off to retroactive injured reserve (joining Tyler Pitlick, Ilya Bryzgalov and Richard Bachman on the list). As Bruce McCurdy pointed out on Monday, Gordon could go on injured reserve and be eligible to return for Saturday's game.

So unless Gordon plays tonight, no the Oilers didn't need the roster space. And even if Gordon's ready to go, Edmonton could have avoided this situation by just leaving Martin Marincin in the minors.

2. This saves Edmonton money, right?

Yes it does. Assuming that neither player hits his performance bonuses, Marincin's roughly $200,000 cheaper. It's difficult to imagine that $200,000 being decisive in this move, though.

3. Does Belov need to clear waivers?

No. Belov is on his entry-level contract, so there is no risk of losing him on the waiver wire.

Why It's A Bad Idea

The simple answer is this: there are not seven better defenders on the Oilers roster than Anton Belov. Here's what the depth chart looks like today, based on total minutes handed out by the coaching staff:

1. Jeff Petry: 640 minutes
  2. Andrew Ference: 595 minutes
  3. Anton Belov: 528 minutes
  4. Justin Schultz: 457 minutes
  5. Nick Schultz: 435 minutes
  6. Philip Larsen: 170 minutes
  7. Denis Grebeshkov: 96 minutes
  8. Corey Potter: 85 minutes
  9. Taylor Fedun: 49 minutes

We could point to Belov's strong underlying statistics, his size and strength and ability to move the puck, or any number of other items, but the biggest point here is that the only left-side defender ahead of Belov in total minutes is Andrew Ference. The coaches have made it clear, by their ice-time decisions, that Belov is seen as a top-four defender on this team.

Now, nothing says the coaches can't scratch a top-four defenceman, to try and get him to improve his game. But one does not simply demote a top-four defenceman for a guy who has never played an NHL game. It's bizarre.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Quinn the Eskimo
December 05 2013, 03:49PM

About time.

#2 westcoastoil
December 05 2013, 03:53PM

This seems like a good move - send him down to get lots of minutes against easier opposition

#3 Johnny Larue
December 05 2013, 04:02PM

My guess is he is not going anywhere it is just a paper move to allow Boyd Gordon to play tonight.

#4 YFC Prez
December 05 2013, 04:15PM

I really don't like Dallas Eakins. Just watch him bench Perron next.

#no more defending you, Dallas.

# blows my mind

#5 5inatrailer
December 05 2013, 03:55PM

I'm guessing he was only only one with the ball$ to call a spade a spade and tell the coaches their system is confusing and retarded. Who is out there that would make a great defensive coach?

#6 tileguy
December 05 2013, 04:08PM

I'm so sick, rushing home to watch the oilers.

I'm so sick that i actually am hoping they get beat 10-0

I'm so sick that I have lost all my community pride of my team.

I'm so sick people down east (and easterners living here) make fun of me and my team.

I wish kevin would just go.

#7 YFC Prez
December 05 2013, 04:18PM
pkam wrote:

No need to panic yet. Remember the Oilers did it once before with Acro? Acro didn't actually leave town. The Oilers just use it to work around the 23 man roster limit without the need to put any player on the IR.

Like Acro, Belov doesn't have to clear waiver to be assigned to OKC so he is the most obvious choice.

If Belov didn't leave town and head to OKC, no reason to panic.

How many games did Arco miss that he shouldn't have?! I'm panicked. This management team is one of the worst ever assembled in any professional sports team.

#8 DieHard
December 05 2013, 04:52PM

There must be a trade in the works. Could be a block buster. Someone needs to see somebody play.

#9 mlcselli
December 05 2013, 06:25PM
Taylor Gang wrote:

Wheres the GDB?

I'll do the honour of providing the GDB--- Obvious prediction--we suck and we lose. Not so obvious.--- Taylor Hall sits in the middle of the ice half way thru the second and cries his eyes out. What I like to see--Captain Ference skating over to the bench at the start of the third and punching Eakins in his big ugly yap. The camera pans to the press box and shows Petry laughing at the idiot that just got knuckled.

#10 D-Unit
December 05 2013, 07:29PM

Don't quite understand why people are upset about this. No matter what the Oil do on defence they have 4 AHL D on the roster. Might as well rotate them all through the AHL. They are also no better or worse with Belov on the team. He isn't a win or lose difference maker. None of the D are n

#11 TKB2677
December 05 2013, 04:27PM

What are people worried about with the guys they are sitting or demoting?

The Oilers defence has been terrible. Worse case scenario is they continue to be terrible.

OH NO!!!

#12 madjam
December 05 2013, 06:38PM

BENCHING AND DEMOTING ? IS THAT THE ONLY TOOL FOR MOTIVATION EAKINS HAS ? What's with these clowns , who's making these bonehead decisions ?

#13 T&A4Flames
December 05 2013, 06:40PM

Tanking again......already???

#14 forsoothed
December 05 2013, 04:18PM

Until Gagner sits a game, all this talk about "accountability" is just hot air.

#15 rindog
December 05 2013, 04:30PM
Puck_In_Throat wrote:

This is clearly being made just to allow the Oilers to play Marincin for tonight. Like when they re-assigned Arcobello earlier. Belov will not get on a plane. But b/c of his contract, he can be sent down w/o having to clear waivers.

Plain and simple, that's the reason. Every other player sitting out would have to clear.

If that is the case (which it probably is), wouldn't it be a good idea for the organization to inform their fan base?

I realize it is their business and it's not necessary to include joe fan in every transaction, but it just seems like a good PR move to be open and communicate with the loyal fans that have stuck by this team through some pretty sh!!ty times...

#16 mlcselli
December 05 2013, 06:04PM

Belov is in the minors, Petry is in the press box and Smid is in Calgary. They're not the best defenders in the league, but they're the best we have or had. Icing an AHL team on an NHL roster is undoubtedly one of the most moronic, nonsensical decisions made by this foolish group of managers to date.

#17 DAVE
December 05 2013, 04:07PM

I would'nt mind seeing J.Schultz in the minors for a weekend either.

#18 Harlie
December 05 2013, 04:15PM

Guess what. Cat survive to.

#19 Andrew
December 05 2013, 04:35PM

Is this latest move by MacT supposed to rassure anyone. Players and fans included?

This strategy reminds me of composting. You take the aleady rotten crap from the bottom of the pile and put it on top. You shovel sh#t from the top and put it underneath to get it even more rotten and stinky. Please someone...tell me I'm wrong.

#20 Rama Lama
December 05 2013, 05:44PM

OK just to set the record straight, I just got off the phone with Mac T and KLowe.......the reason for demoting Belov was because he is not fit. This was also the reason for trading SMID.

We were far too heavy in the position and this makes us smaller and faster and now fitter.

Everything will be OK now.......relax people, Mr. Fitness is in charge.

#21 terranq
December 05 2013, 05:47PM

I find it helps to read all Oilers news while listening to Yakety Sax

#22 David S
December 05 2013, 06:29PM

Now Belov is out too? WHAT THE H3LL IS GOING ON HERE???

#23 6 ring circus
December 05 2013, 07:07PM

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Oilers coaching and management group don't know WTF They are doing !!!

#24 Serious Gord
December 05 2013, 07:08PM

Bizarre.

There is no better word to describe the last 24 hours and for that matter the goings on back to the trading of smid.

Seems to me that greatly weakening the defense of the team is going to do nothing positive on the scoresheet, in the standings and to the morale and the development curve of the team.

Especially when - as has been noted be several others here and elsewhere - there are clearly other, higher profile players on the team who are arguably more deserving of a 'time out'.

WHAT A MESS. The oil are the new generation New York islanders.

#25 oilerjed
December 05 2013, 03:54PM

A couple of hours ago it was VERY important to the coach that he see the game from upstairs. Looks like they feel he can get the same instruction as the rest of us.

#26 Nipper
December 05 2013, 03:59PM

Is this bye bye Belov? What are the chances he signs here gain?

#27 ValleyviewSports
December 05 2013, 04:10PM

the fact that Eakins says that the expectation of Petry is to develop into a top defender makes me question the expectations of all the D-men. furthermore, How is Petry to develop into that without ever playing under a top defender? Why are we so dysfunctional? If they are Expecting more out of Belov that is one of the most bogus things I've heard. gOd, looking over everything that has happened and what could potentially happen sure is excruciatingly frustrating

#28 Puck_In_Throat
December 05 2013, 04:19PM

#29 Bucknuck
December 05 2013, 05:15PM

Yep... I'm losing faith.

#30 admiralmark
December 05 2013, 05:47PM

Ference= 2nd Pairing D man Belov=2nd Pairing Dman Shultz JR= 2nd Pairing D man Shultz Sr= 3rd pairing D man Petry=2nd Pairing Dman Larson 3rd pairing Dman Potter= AHL Dman Fedun=3rd Pairing Grebishkov=SEL Dman(maybe)

When a team like the Oil decide to roll with a lineup like this it means 2-3 D men are playing at positions high above their abilities. What this ultimately means is players are going to go through these major periods of struggles... To think it will end is foolish. The question is can this do damage to a players progression long term?

This rebuild game plan of scorching the earth is showing to be a horrendous concept. Upcoming, even potential superstars would be much better served with a veteran skilled player "still" in his prime to show the way somewhat. I don't think theres an option here.. MacT HAS to get a 1st pairing d man on this team before next season.

#31 **
December 05 2013, 11:39PM
mlcselli wrote:

Except for PHillip Larsen (who was caught puck watching a couple of times) the D corps tonight played really well, specially the third pairing of Potter and Marincin. There's a player there with Belov, but he looks overwhelmed. Being in the AHL will be good for him. Petry is not a top 2 dman. Spreading the ice time today between all 6 defenders worked much better for the Oilers than throwing Petry to the wolves. Smid I like, but like Petry he was being used in the wrong situations in Edmonton.

#32 **
December 05 2013, 11:42PM

It seems that management is finally listening to the statistics and probability and have officially declared the season lost. Time to see what they got on the prospects. Expect to see Klefbom and Davison up at some point before the Olympics break.

#33 John
December 06 2013, 01:31AM

Ha...you Sour Pete's were so wrong. 8-2 booya

#34 oilerjed
December 05 2013, 03:50PM

WTF did he say to Eakins?

#35 geoilersgist
December 05 2013, 03:52PM

wow

#36 Greasy Goal
December 05 2013, 04:05PM
Nipper wrote:

Is this bye bye Belov? What are the chances he signs here gain?

I am sure when he signed here he realized this could be a reality. Making the team out of the training camp was a pleasant surprise for Oiler fans but I guess coaches n co want to see something more out of him.Not sure how long he'll be down there but the sooner he comes up the better.

#37 Joe Mamma
December 05 2013, 04:10PM

I think the oilers twitter feed should just say #Oilers #Derp. And just re-tweet it everyday.

#38 DAVE
December 05 2013, 04:10PM
ValleyviewSports wrote:

Belov should be in before Potter at absolutely all times.

I would potty flush Potter at my earliest convenience.

#39 YFC Prez
December 05 2013, 04:13PM
tileguy wrote:

I'm so sick, rushing home to watch the oilers.

I'm so sick that i actually am hoping they get beat 10-0

I'm so sick that I have lost all my community pride of my team.

I wish kevin would just go.

I just picked up almost 400 dollars worth of hockey tickets for 25 bucks. Something tells me your not the only one.

I may have overpaid

#40 pkam
December 05 2013, 04:13PM

If Belov didn't leave town and head to OKC, no reason to panic.

#41 ValleyviewSports
December 05 2013, 04:20PM

@HugThePost

Jason "The Gregorman Gregs" Gregor had a kid today, I assume he's sitting it out today as he usually does the GDB... LOTS of pertinent info would be in that thing today haha

#42 Oiler63
December 05 2013, 04:22PM

@HugThePost

Guess guys are too depressed to do one. It's extremely hard to keep the spirit high these days.

#43 Spydyr
December 05 2013, 04:25PM

Everyone just relax.The sent him down because they are about to trade for Weber.

Thought we needed some comedy relief.

Other then from "the braintrust"

#44 pkam
December 05 2013, 04:34PM
YFC Prez wrote:

You can choose to do whatever you want.

And to answer your question, he was scratched for 5 games but the Oilers won 3 of those 5 games. And Eakins had already clarified that Acro was not scratched because of his performance.

#45 A-Mc
December 05 2013, 04:34PM

Gregor tweeted something about the hospital taking care of his wife. GDP is probably not up because he was at the hospital or some such scenario - which is excusable!

#46 A-Mc
December 05 2013, 04:40PM

@Andrew

...tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong

ps: how do i force the quote bounding box? i want to quote only part of a post

#47 Rod from Viking
December 05 2013, 05:00PM

YFC Prez Did you pick up a couple Rexall bags to put on, I am going to be wearing them in section 112 on Saturday.

#48 HugThePost
December 05 2013, 05:03PM

Congrats Gregor!

We should all contribute our GDB for him.

GDP: Oilers are stunned by the benching of a couple of regulars, turn in another listless effort in front of a home crowd and lose 7-2.

OGDP: The crowd starts chanting "We Want 10" halfway through the 2nd when Colorado takes a 7-0 lead.

NSOGDP: The Avs totally take their foot off the gas in the 3rd, moving all of the defence up to forward, and 6 forwards back on D. They make the forwards moving to D switch which way they shoot. The Oilers still cannot break out of their zone. After the game, Patrick Roy says he couldn't hear the We Want 10 chant because his Stanley Cup Rings are still stuck in his ears.

#49 Truth
December 05 2013, 05:18PM

GDP: Oilers come out fired up but can't score early or at all. Lose 6-0.

OGDP: Oilers blow.

NSOGDP: Gregor's new son looks conspicuously similar to Wanye. Congrats Mr. Gregor, my daughters birth is easily the best day of my life so far. Can't beat it.

#50 God
December 05 2013, 05:28PM
Young Oil wrote:

I'm getting real tired of this circus.

Amen. He's been one of the only bright spots for this season. I think he's a great #4 Dman. He's currently playing in a #2 spot and not quite getting eaten alive. Props to the kid.

The ONLY valid reason I'd accept for sending him down would be to build his confidence. He needs to shoot a bit more but I haven't too many problems with the way he's played. He makes far fewer mistakes than all the other Dmen.