SCENES FROM A MAUL

Lowetide
December 08 2013 07:41AM

The Edmonton Oilers won the battle last night, but once again lost the war. The shot differential said Edmonton was well clear of the Flames (52-33) but the final score told us Calgary won the day. The story of last night was execution, and at this point I'm in favor of it.

SHOT DIFFERENTIAL BEATDOWN

The Oilers had a field day last night based on even-strength shots for and against (my thanks to Michael Parkatti for the table above), hell the guy they benched went 12-0 in the discipline. The problem for Edmonton? They're a miserable team without the puck and increasingly they are not willing to do the hard work of getting it back.

I'm not a guy who talks about "physical presence" or "someone to get in your face" very much, because for the most part I do believe those things are overrated. However, this edition of the Edmonton Oilers needs someone to light a fire under their ass, the way Glen Sather did with the Boys on the Bus when they were pissing about instead of eating their vegetables. This team could use a whole lot less "Harlem Globetrotters" skill and a lot more lunchpail work ethic and attention to detail.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

There are two ways out of this:

  1. Impress upon these players that "fleeing the zone for offense" is treason, and that you're letting the team down.
  2. Trade one or two of these players for new ones in order to grab the group's attention. 

I bet Craig MacTavish is edging closer to the second option. The Edmonton Oilers are going to finish last with Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner and Justin Schultz, they can sure as hell finish last without them.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#101 srbuhr
December 08 2013, 03:28PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

@Drowning in Oil

Agreed. Take some time and watch a game. We all used to love saying the play dies on Horcoff's stick but Hall has stepped up and taken over this dubious task. Scoring two goals while giving up two is why we suck.

Avatar
#102 **
December 08 2013, 03:29PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

The sad thing is he will probably trade yakupov

Avatar
#103 srbuhr
December 08 2013, 03:35PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

@DoubleDIon

"Are you guys seriously talking about healthy scratching Hall? Did you watch a different game then me? You'd never win again without Hall. He's the guy who drives the play north and generates the offense"

Did you watch the game. Hall was atrocious, Yes he scored the tieing goal but can be given due credit for an 0-6 PP. Play died on his or Gagner stick all night. Your right he takes the puck north to the blue line to turn it over south. I think you need to watch a real hockey team play, then maybe you will understand good teams and good players don't do this.

Avatar
#104 Danger Pay
December 08 2013, 03:39PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Win, lose, Win, lose, Win, lose... I'm guessing the next game is a Win.

Avatar
#105 Johnnydapunk
December 08 2013, 03:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
Bleedblue wrote:

Furthermore, despite his flaws, why is Belov not playing? What a circus!

I'm a Belov fan also, he has been quite a surprise for the Oil, and his attitude of only signing one year deals to make him earn another contract is also pretty respectable.

I am thinking that he sat to watch the game from a different perspective as I'm sure he has seen NHL hockey before of course, but seeing it from the press box to see what type of system Eakins is trying to play, and to see the Oil play can only help him develop his North American game. It is a fairly different for Europeans coming over also as the speed and congestion of the game is quite an adjustment. Most spend some time in the AHL to get their heads around it, could have been the one mistake that the Oilers made with him, especially the fact he came late to camp due to the embassy strikes.

As far as I remember, the KHL also has fewer games and they are spread out a bit more so there is a small chance that as the wear and tear of the season goes on, he may have been a bit exhausted and started making little mistakes. It's a logical possibility.

I cannot believe that I am defending Eakins here, but the Belov not playing for a few games kind of makes sense to me. There are far bigger, more baffling issues that the Oil have.

Avatar
#106 Oiler Al
December 08 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Naky wrote:

Last night was another prime example of Dubnyk keeping the game winnable behind a team completely disinterested in helping him keep the puck out of their own net and yet again they didn't reward him with a win for all their supposed offense and all their non-stop cheating to try to get it.

Games like this is why I get so mad when people crap over him because it's games like this that people don't remember. It's just a loss. Guess he should have stopped them all so we could have won 1-0. Clearly his fault. At least that's how it'll be remembered and it's the height of crap.

Nobody ever remembers that it was the collective mess in front of him that couldn't do much of anything to help both offensively or defensively and it's been like this for two or three years now. Even when they get the offense on the scoreboard, their defensive play was such a mess to get that offense but fans don't care because, hey, they got 4 or 5 on the board man. They did what they were supposed to do, right? Bull. Hockey's more than putting the biscuit in the bag and always has been.

But at least people are starting to see it now. Looking beyond the shot totals and the numbers on the scoreboard and assuming that a good game was played by all, or at least I hope so. Because it hasn't been pretty for a long time now and I'm really getting sick of watching it.

Think you are confused big fella..... it was the Flames goalie that was the No. 1 star, not Dubnyk.

Avatar
#107 6 ring circus
December 08 2013, 04:01PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
49
cheers

I already know the answer to these question's and so does every other Oilers Fan, our problem unfortunately Katz does not!!!

If Keven Lowe was fired by the Oiler's is there another team in the NHL stupid enough to hire him,in any capacity other than a water boy?

If Mactavish was fired by the Oiler's as their GM, would any other team hire him ? (how does he go from being fired as our head coach 4 years ago no other NHL team hiring him as a coach and then he comes back to the Oiler's as General manager !!!!)

Can Scott Howson get a job anywhere else in the NHL, where Kevin Lowe isn't his boss?

If Steve Tambellini was such a good General manager (that's what Kevin Lowe said and it was his decision to hire him) why hasn't he been hired anywhere else in the NHL and will he ever surface again ? I had heard a rumor he went into the witness protection program.

If Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger are such good assistant coaches,(they have been here now for 4 head coaches) why hasn't any other team hired either one for an Associate coach position or a head coach position in the AHL?

There is no need to wonder WTF is wrong with this organization, just look at the list above and tell me we aren't screwed until Katz does a complete overhaul of his management team.

Avatar
#108 He who knows
December 08 2013, 04:08PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

This organization is screwed up beyond belief. Such a soft soft team. No balls down there.

Avatar
#109 Puck_In_Throat
December 08 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

I will apologize for the length of this post in advance. The error that the Oilers have made is a simple one, but it continues to be made:

They have handed the reigns of the team to players who were too young and had no veteran leadership.

1. Hall and Eberle have lived together from day 1. Major recipe for disaster. Logic tells you that and 18 and 20 year old living together with a combined income of +5M will be a problem.

2. Fast tracking players to the NHL creates a myriad of problems (Hemsky, gagner, cogliano, nilsson, schrmep, Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak, J. Schultz, Petry).

2a) They do not learn to play two way hockey (see Arcobello for a prime example of what having to earn your ice time does).

2b) they have unhealthy egos

2c) they earn WAY too much money too soon (j. schultz for $3.75?!?! Hall and Eberle for $12M combined?!? I would rather have Tatar and Nyquist from Detroit for $1.8M combined). This creates a salary cap issue.

3. Lack of veteran leadership means that young players learn bad habits. Anyone who has tried to quit smoking will tell you that bad habits are very hard to break, sometimes impossible.

4. Lack of success means that other young players are pushed in too early, perpetuating the problem.

If the Oilers had been REALLY serious about the "rebuild", they would have kept Eberle in the AHL for a few years, left Pajaarvi in Sweden and then in the AHL for a bit, etc. etc. etc. Sure, we probably should have kept Hall as an 18 year old, but could the Nuge not have benefitted from another year of Junior? Don't forget, by returning the Nuge and Yak to Junior, we would have delayed their salary increases by not burning a year of their contracts.

Good GMs and well-run organizations (CF: Detroit) make the hard decisions that are right for the player and team long term. Bad organizations cannot see past the 1 year horizon, which is why the Oilers have made the same mistake with

Avatar
#110 Andrew
December 08 2013, 04:45PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers

You know people/fans/bloggers are getting really fed up with the state of this Oiler debacle when L.T. starts getting pissed off. He's the champion of the "glass-half-full-contingent".

My point being that at some point even the most moderate critics of the Katz/Lowe/MacT mis-management triumvirate is going to turn people off to such a degree they are going to vote to re-allocate their discetionary dollars elsewhere. Katz' arrogant belief that the fans will pay up no matter how inept his decisions may not pay off in the long run. I want to see an honest effort and for that I would be thankful. I don't know how the likes of Gagner, Hall and Eberle can stand in front of those cameras at the end of another gutless lacklustre performance and keep a straight face. Where the hell is their pride?

Avatar
#111 oilers1168
December 08 2013, 05:11PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Its easy to blame the players. But as the game progressed Eakins must recognize that they need to change up the PP setup. Shoot the puck in and force the flame d-men to tire out by pivoting and chasing it. Yes that means we need to get physical and fore-check to win a puck battle. Carrying the puck in wasn't working. Recognizing which players was struggling example Gagner and J. Schulz. Playing the same forwards upwards of 20 minutes is ridiculous. We have a team playing 3 games in four nights. Take advantage of the last line change and play 4 lines or part of all 4 lines. Tired players make mental mistakes.

Avatar
#112 nick
December 08 2013, 05:15PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

I'm a Belov fan also, he has been quite a surprise for the Oil, and his attitude of only signing one year deals to make him earn another contract is also pretty respectable.

I am thinking that he sat to watch the game from a different perspective as I'm sure he has seen NHL hockey before of course, but seeing it from the press box to see what type of system Eakins is trying to play, and to see the Oil play can only help him develop his North American game. It is a fairly different for Europeans coming over also as the speed and congestion of the game is quite an adjustment. Most spend some time in the AHL to get their heads around it, could have been the one mistake that the Oilers made with him, especially the fact he came late to camp due to the embassy strikes.

As far as I remember, the KHL also has fewer games and they are spread out a bit more so there is a small chance that as the wear and tear of the season goes on, he may have been a bit exhausted and started making little mistakes. It's a logical possibility.

I cannot believe that I am defending Eakins here, but the Belov not playing for a few games kind of makes sense to me. There are far bigger, more baffling issues that the Oil have.

He is not playing because he is not an NHL defenseman. Do you really think if he was good he would have been in the NHL before he was 27. There's a reason he was playing in the KHL

Avatar
#113 camdog
December 08 2013, 05:21PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

The problem with the organization is that there are very few players on this team that have earned their status, in Edmonton we just annoint players stars, without making them have to work for it speaking of Hemsky, Gags, Eberle and Hall. Heck we were ready to give Hall the C and have Eberle and Gags with A's. Hall is the only one that deserves a letter, however that letter is an A and that is all.

The Oilers best player this season is Perron. With Hitchcook as coach Perron had to earn his position on the team. When he didn't play the "200" foot game he got benched. THat doesn't happen in E-town, not with the star players. That's the difference between Edmonton and winning franchises.

Avatar
#114 Release the Hounds
December 08 2013, 05:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@Tom

Tom, watch the replay again. Maybe I was just exaggerating the fact that one of them was not looking after the threat in front of the goal. In fact, slow the replay down by 100%. Now tell me that Hudler was not standing alone in front of the net from the time the puck was picked up at the blueline until it was behind Dubnyk. Any legit defenders in the NHL do not let players stand uncontested in front of the tender.

And this "He would have picked off that pass too if Nuge hadn't tipped it over his stick" If the dog wouldn't have stopped to crap, he would have caught the rabbit!

Avatar
#115 nick
December 08 2013, 05:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

A different perspective, or a different excuse?

On another note....looks like another sellout again last night!

The Oilers have played the easiest part of their schedule, Let's just see how that record is in the next 10 games when they play the tough teams. After Tuesday's game you will see just how far away they are when they start playing the big boys.

Avatar
#116 Rod from Viking
December 08 2013, 05:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@oilcountyforlife

I would be keeping Nuge and Nurse as well.

Avatar
#117 Rod from Viking
December 08 2013, 05:43PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Lowetide

She isn't going to stick her finger in her mouth is she?

Avatar
#118 Brian
December 08 2013, 06:01PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Am I still banned ?

Avatar
#119 HiTs FrOm ThE bOnG
December 08 2013, 06:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
morgie wrote:

Another perspective is the oil beat only one playoff team in those ten games, Colorado

30 teams. 16 make the playoffs. You do the math. You have to beat the bad teams before you can beat the good teams. Now, if we could only beat those bad teams.

Avatar
#120 Dr. J.
December 08 2013, 06:09PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
nick wrote:

He is not playing because he is not an NHL defenseman. Do you really think if he was good he would have been in the NHL before he was 27. There's a reason he was playing in the KHL

Ya. More money to play in the KHL.

Avatar
#121 hall the time
December 08 2013, 06:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
camdog wrote:

The problem with the organization is that there are very few players on this team that have earned their status, in Edmonton we just annoint players stars, without making them have to work for it speaking of Hemsky, Gags, Eberle and Hall. Heck we were ready to give Hall the C and have Eberle and Gags with A's. Hall is the only one that deserves a letter, however that letter is an A and that is all.

The Oilers best player this season is Perron. With Hitchcook as coach Perron had to earn his position on the team. When he didn't play the "200" foot game he got benched. THat doesn't happen in E-town, not with the star players. That's the difference between Edmonton and winning franchises.

Are you one of the Oil Barons, I know you guys gotta be posting stuff about the top lines on here lol.

Avatar
#122 Spydyr
December 08 2013, 06:26PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Brian wrote:

Am I still banned ?

Looks like no but I though you got hit by a car and died?

Oh wait that is a different Brian.Or is this the ghost of Brian.

Avatar
#123 Oilerz4life
December 08 2013, 06:41PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
6 ring circus wrote:

I already know the answer to these question's and so does every other Oilers Fan, our problem unfortunately Katz does not!!!

If Keven Lowe was fired by the Oiler's is there another team in the NHL stupid enough to hire him,in any capacity other than a water boy?

If Mactavish was fired by the Oiler's as their GM, would any other team hire him ? (how does he go from being fired as our head coach 4 years ago no other NHL team hiring him as a coach and then he comes back to the Oiler's as General manager !!!!)

Can Scott Howson get a job anywhere else in the NHL, where Kevin Lowe isn't his boss?

If Steve Tambellini was such a good General manager (that's what Kevin Lowe said and it was his decision to hire him) why hasn't he been hired anywhere else in the NHL and will he ever surface again ? I had heard a rumor he went into the witness protection program.

If Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger are such good assistant coaches,(they have been here now for 4 head coaches) why hasn't any other team hired either one for an Associate coach position or a head coach position in the AHL?

There is no need to wonder WTF is wrong with this organization, just look at the list above and tell me we aren't screwed until Katz does a complete overhaul of his management team.

Not trying to defend him, because I'm not a Tambellini fan, but he is working for another NHL team. He is now a scout for the Anaheim Ducks. Not that I disagree with your rant, but at least get your facts straight.

Avatar
#124 Dog Train
December 08 2013, 06:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

You know things are bad when Lowetide writes an article like this. Play time needs to end, accountability needs to come into play. If only we had an organization that realized this.

Avatar
#125 Freewheeling Freddie
December 08 2013, 07:04PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

How could a team with the hockey president who has 6 Stanley cups be this bad? He should know how to build a winner because he has 6 cups.I guess I am speaking out line since I am a tier 2 fan. Sorry about that Kevin

Avatar
#126 6 ring circus
December 08 2013, 07:08PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
Oilerz4life wrote:

Not trying to defend him, because I'm not a Tambellini fan, but he is working for another NHL team. He is now a scout for the Anaheim Ducks. Not that I disagree with your rant, but at least get your facts straight.

Wow !!! We have someone here following the whereabouts of Tambellini he has such a major role with the Anaheim ducks that he even isn't listed on their staff directory!!!! Maybe I should of put when will he get another job as a General manager after him and Lowe basically set the Oilers back how many years because of there incompetence?

Avatar
#127 onlyoil
December 08 2013, 07:21PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Harlie wrote:

Why everyone heff to be mad?

The season was sewered in the first 10 games. The rest of this shmozzle is playing out to see who else end up in sick bay and what decision Stu "looking less magnificent everyday" McGregor is gonna make.

Relax. Coast a little. Eat a turnover. Watch some Darkwing Duck. Then rinse, reset, repeat.

Gagner is that you maybe it JSchultz

Avatar
#128 Oilerz4life
December 08 2013, 07:24PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
6 ring circus wrote:

Wow !!! We have someone here following the whereabouts of Tambellini he has such a major role with the Anaheim ducks that he even isn't listed on their staff directory!!!! Maybe I should of put when will he get another job as a General manager after him and Lowe basically set the Oilers back how many years because of there incompetence?

It was on Sportcenter. Why you gotta be a douche about something YOU got wrong?

Avatar
#129 6 ring circus
December 08 2013, 07:50PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Oilerz4life wrote:

It was on Sportcenter. Why you gotta be a douche about something YOU got wrong?

Your calling me a douche because I didn't know the were a bout's of Tambellini,tell me how do you go through life making no mistakes, you must be perfect,go apply for a job as Kevin Lowe's ASSistant. I am sure the two of you would get along just fine.

Avatar
#130 Zarny
December 08 2013, 07:51PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
oilers1168 wrote:

My question is why does Eberle, hall, gagner and Schulz junior get such a long leash.

My count last evening Gagner was only credited with two giveaway, I count 4. We need more from our coach to start benching, cutting ice time and press boxing some of the above players.

I didn't include Yak because he is really still in his 1st year and is 20yrs old. He should be forted the same as the others needs to learn by making some mistakes. The same reasoning was used on the others.

Trading Yak would be a mistake. He hits way more then Eberle and Hemsky combined, and awesome shot if they decide to pass to him. He has a lot of Hall in him. Loves to carry the puck and drive the play and is passionate. When he fills out and has more man strength he will be close to a Phill Kessel physique and skill set. He is not a duplicate of Eberle.

Interesting that you would include Schultz; given that he's played 6 fewer games than Yakupov. He also played NCAA. Notorious for taking longer to develop (i.e. van Riemsdyk, Turris). None of that changes with Schultz. It's laughable to watch fans pile on a guy with 71 NHL games of experience.

If Eberle, Hall and Gagner have a longer leash I suspect it's because they've put up huge games before. Like 4 G or 8 pts.

Wouldn't it have been cute if Hall was in the press box against Colorado instead of putting up 3G 1A 4PT?

I'm not saying it's right; but when your job is to win games it's hard to sit players who have essentially won games single-handed before.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with trading Yakupov. Nothing wrong with trading Eberle either. Which one likely depends on what you get in return.

Avatar
#131 YAKCITY64
December 08 2013, 08:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Marcus

LT I love how you talk as if the oilers got 52 shots the official shots were 31-27. SOG mean shots on goal when it comes to the oilers even if you put lipstick on a pig its still a pig:)

Avatar
#132 Walter Sobchak
December 08 2013, 09:56PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Interesting that you would include Schultz; given that he's played 6 fewer games than Yakupov. He also played NCAA. Notorious for taking longer to develop (i.e. van Riemsdyk, Turris). None of that changes with Schultz. It's laughable to watch fans pile on a guy with 71 NHL games of experience.

If Eberle, Hall and Gagner have a longer leash I suspect it's because they've put up huge games before. Like 4 G or 8 pts.

Wouldn't it have been cute if Hall was in the press box against Colorado instead of putting up 3G 1A 4PT?

I'm not saying it's right; but when your job is to win games it's hard to sit players who have essentially won games single-handed before.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with trading Yakupov. Nothing wrong with trading Eberle either. Which one likely depends on what you get in return.

That's a typical response I would accept from Eakins or MacTavish about the Oilers players.

Do you honestly believe as an organization, or a coach for that matter that because Gagner scored 8 points 2 1/2 years ago has relevance now?

I'm agreeing with you on Hall, but not with Schultz, Yakupov and most importantly Gagner.

Gagner is not winning games, he's actually starting to cost the Oilers games. After 7 years in the NHL Gagner is making poor decisions still.

Now, both Schultz & Yakupov could use a year in the AHL, being forced to learn the pro game on the fly is just setting them back.

There's are reason the Red Wings players are always ready when they play in the show.

Lastly, trading Yakupov or Ebelre is wrong!!

Yakupov alone won't get you a # 1 Defensemen, adding to that, you just lost Yakupov spot, you've lost his production.

If you trade Eberle as well, then you lost another RW, so now you have to find two RW's who's point contributions will be in the 100's

That leaves you with one potential RW left who's on his last year and likely won't sign back here...Hemsky.

So now your down 3........RW with no organizational depth, so now where do you get those replacements?

It's funny but the cost it took just to acquire that talent was a number 1 defensemen.

The Oilers have limited choices, they need to draft defensemen, unless there is a home run out there that won't cost you roster players, then it's highly unlikely the Oilers should deal any of the kids, since the Oilers organizations depth is poor to horrible.

Not trying to sound like a cynic but the Oilers cannot go whale hunting by giving away the future.

Draft Ekblad, having Nurse & Klefbom already in the system you won't need to trade these players.

Find quality 3rd line players to help Gordan out, suck it out one more year for Ekblad.....Trade Gagner & Hemsky, Schultz Sr, find a quality 2 way centre.

Just my opinion.

Avatar
#133 brackenbury
December 08 2013, 10:24PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Relax people. If u were b ing honest with yourselves Did u really think this team in THIS DIVISION would B a playoff team this year? Pleeeeeeze! Their is a ways To go. But they have played better hockey of late.

Avatar
#134 brackenbury
December 08 2013, 10:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I would like to know who u guys would trade off the club And who u want in return. Let's try and keep it realistic. This should b fun. Come one, come all!

Avatar
#135 brackenbury
December 08 2013, 10:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Zarny

Nice profile pic. ZANY, who would u like to c coming back For a trade involving YAK or EBS ?

Avatar
#136 camdog
December 08 2013, 10:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Zarny

Win games? Even in the AHL to start last season, they had trouble winning games...

Avatar
#137 brackenbury
December 08 2013, 11:16PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Puck_In_Throat

I didn't think the oilers played awful last night( am I drinking The copper and blue kool aid ? ) anyhow, Gagner is coming back from a serious injury. Let's cut him a little slack. He has Been a good soldier in his time here. I wonder if a few of the "WONDERKIDS '' r even tradeable with their fat contracts? I know the oilers have been very high on KULIKOV for a couple of years now. Would he help? Also, let's give MACT A chance. Admitedly he has made some mistakes. But he also Got Dallas to take horcoff, and pulled off a heist getting PERRON. Pretty shrewd bringing in the BRYZ also. AS far as Klow ...... he needs to b gone! If nothing more than to please Our fan base. Obviously he is useless in any adminastrative Capacity

Avatar
#138 brackenbury
December 08 2013, 11:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

my comment. Was not intended as a reply to @puck in throat. Sorry bout that bud

Avatar
#139 Ari Gold
December 08 2013, 11:41PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

That was a pathetic loss. They were outworked by an under-talented, under-manned Calgary team.

I'd say lesson learned, but I know better: I'm an Oiler fan.

Avatar
#140 Ari Gold
December 08 2013, 11:42PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
brackenbury wrote:

I would like to know who u guys would trade off the club And who u want in return. Let's try and keep it realistic. This should b fun. Come one, come all!

The entire Oilers roster minus Perron, Gordo, Arco & Belov for a porn-mag & lotion.

Avatar
#141 Snoop
December 09 2013, 01:21AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
6 ring circus wrote:

We were told to be patient during this rebuild and that this was the best thing that could happen to the Oiler's, so we all bought into this rebuild that Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini put together only to find out 7 years latter that we are no further ahead today then when we started,Gagner,Eberle and Yakopov are all 5'11" between 180-200 pounds,we have one defencemen who weighs more than 210 pounds Belov.The team plays way to soft,does not compete on most nights,whenever they play a bigger team, which is on most nights, they cannot compete physically and usually take a beating along the boards,on the ice and in front of the net.If and it's a very big if ,this team ever made the playoffs, they would not make it past the first round.This is Gagners 7th year already, he isn't going to turn his game around, what we have seen from him these past 7 years is the best we are going to get.Its time that ownership fires the architect (Kevin Lowe) and brings in a President and General manager from a winning organization to turn this around,only then will the fans be rewarded with a hockey team,this management group has had seven years and they royally screwed up with the team they have assembled,the players know it,the fans know it and the media knows it and its time ownership does something about it, instead of sitting there and taking our money for an inferior product, put a team on the ice that the loyal fans deserve and can be proud of.

Buddy you sound like you are a beggar. This is why the product of Katy's stinks.. If guys like you become tire four fun and stop supporting this over inflated product then you might see better result...

Avatar
#142 Devolution
December 09 2013, 02:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

The truly frustrating thing is that, except for the players names, this entire conversation could be from 1,2,3 or four years ago. Nothing changes and I am starting to think nothing ever will.

It is a bad organization that makes money, the worst combination for future success. Harold Ballard's Leafs comes to mind.

Avatar
#143 TV6
December 09 2013, 03:25AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
6 ring circus wrote:

Wow !!! We have someone here following the whereabouts of Tambellini he has such a major role with the Anaheim ducks that he even isn't listed on their staff directory!!!! Maybe I should of put when will he get another job as a General manager after him and Lowe basically set the Oilers back how many years because of there incompetence?

@ Big Pussy...

I must say, it's more than a little ironic when you mention "incompetence", especially when you can't even spell the difference between "there" & "their"...

As for your earlier points...

~~~ ~~~

"If Mactavish was fired by the Oiler's as their GM, would any other team hire him ? (how does he go from being fired as our head coach 4 years ago no other NHL team hiring him as a coach and then he comes back to the Oiler's as General manager !!!!)"

#1. > MacT was hired by the Knucks & was the Bench Boss for the Chicago Wolves, not to mention that he was interviewed by the Flyers & the Wild for their Head Coaching gigs.

"Can Scott Howson get a job anywhere else in the NHL, where Kevin Lowe isn't his boss?"

I would tend to argue that the G.M. gig in Columbus is "another job in the NHL", but what you think is obviously a different type of thought process altogether...

"If Steve Tambellini was such a good General manager (that's what Kevin Lowe said and it was his decision to hire him) why hasn't he been hired anywhere else in the NHL and will he ever surface again ? I had heard a rumor he went into the witness protection program."

As per what was posted before... Tambo works for the Fowl now, & the last time I checked, it's not his gig to "update" their website. Even the Oilers website still has some updates to do since Eakins was hired.

"If Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger are such good assistant coaches,(they have been here now for 4 head coaches) why hasn't any other team hired either one for an Associate coach position or a head coach position in the AHL?"

Buchy already HAD a Head Coaching gig in the AHL. & Smith was a scout with the Hawks & a Asst. Coach with the Red Menace before as well... Plus Smith was hired by the Oil in 2010. he was not even in the organization when Quinn was the Bench Boss. But don't let that stop you from talking out of your ass with your "facts".

At least try to do a little homework before you go off on Professionals that you obviously know pretty well nothing about.

Fair enough..?

x6

Avatar
#144 mlcselli
December 09 2013, 03:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

When you have to light a fire under these players to get the going, then it's clear they don't have any fire in them. And that is pathetic!!!!!

Avatar
#145 beloch
December 09 2013, 06:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I'm a Flames fan who pulls for the Oilers too (whenever they're not playing the Flames).

Hall has a lot in common with Baertschi. Hall probably has more talent plus he's waaaay closer to his peak. I admit that. Don't jump on me! Just wait for it...

Both Hall and Baertschi are great when they have the puck. They're skilled wingers who can generate a lot of offense. Hartley said as much about Baertschi and, infuriating many Flames fans, proceeded to bench Baertschi multiple times for the quality of his play "when he doesn't have the puck". There's a lot of debate about whether those benchings were the best thing for Baerstchi's development. However, whether it was the benchings or the general team work-ethic, his play "without the puck" does seem to be improving.

Hall is horrible without the puck. He hardly back-checks at all! There were multiple instances Saturday night where the Flames still possessed the puck in the Oilers' zone and Hall was already over the red-line waiting for a pass. He needs to learn the first step to scoring is to get the puck! Hall has some pretty good jets so there's absolutely no excuse for him to be cherry-picking like that!

Many flames fans are extremely frustrated with Hartley right now for benching players like Baertschi and Backlund or demoting them to the goon-squad where they have virtually no chance of generating offense. Inferior players are getting better ice-time and it's probably not helping the team on the score-sheet. Maybe it's helping motivate these players to develop though. It's certainly up for debate, but it's possible that what's best for the team's position in the standings isn't necessarily the same as what's best for player development, and it's certainly a good year for player development to be a top priority in Calgary. For Edmonton, doubly so!

Personally, I wouldn't bench Hall. I'd put him on the face-puncher line and give him nothing but defensive zone starts for several games in a row. Put him in a situation where he has to learn the part of the game he clearly doesn't know how to play right now. This will reduce the Oilers' offense for a few games, but it might goad Hall into developing as a player. Continuing to give Hall top-minutes and primo zone-starts after playing the way he did Saturday would reinforce some pretty nasty habits!

P.S. I'm picking on Hall mostly because he stood out on Saturday. There are certainly other Oilers who are in dire need of similar treatment.

Avatar
#146 K_Mart
December 09 2013, 08:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

like Cassie said... they play for points , not to win.

We gave that game to Calgary. We were clearly the superior team all game, and yet we couldn't help but try and be cute. Constantly turning the puck over.

Just brutal.

Avatar
#147 Ryan
December 09 2013, 08:43AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@He who knows

Mactavish wasn't fired as head coach. He resigned. His resume is perfect for a new GM and if the Oilers didn't hire him, someone else would have. Give him some time. Tambellini was terrible GM but he was recently hired in some capacity in Anaheim. I agree that Lowe should have been fired a long time ago and I'm not sure what Howson brings to the table.

Avatar
#148 Zarny
December 09 2013, 09:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

That's a typical response I would accept from Eakins or MacTavish about the Oilers players.

Do you honestly believe as an organization, or a coach for that matter that because Gagner scored 8 points 2 1/2 years ago has relevance now?

I'm agreeing with you on Hall, but not with Schultz, Yakupov and most importantly Gagner.

Gagner is not winning games, he's actually starting to cost the Oilers games. After 7 years in the NHL Gagner is making poor decisions still.

Now, both Schultz & Yakupov could use a year in the AHL, being forced to learn the pro game on the fly is just setting them back.

There's are reason the Red Wings players are always ready when they play in the show.

Lastly, trading Yakupov or Ebelre is wrong!!

Yakupov alone won't get you a # 1 Defensemen, adding to that, you just lost Yakupov spot, you've lost his production.

If you trade Eberle as well, then you lost another RW, so now you have to find two RW's who's point contributions will be in the 100's

That leaves you with one potential RW left who's on his last year and likely won't sign back here...Hemsky.

So now your down 3........RW with no organizational depth, so now where do you get those replacements?

It's funny but the cost it took just to acquire that talent was a number 1 defensemen.

The Oilers have limited choices, they need to draft defensemen, unless there is a home run out there that won't cost you roster players, then it's highly unlikely the Oilers should deal any of the kids, since the Oilers organizations depth is poor to horrible.

Not trying to sound like a cynic but the Oilers cannot go whale hunting by giving away the future.

Draft Ekblad, having Nurse & Klefbom already in the system you won't need to trade these players.

Find quality 3rd line players to help Gordan out, suck it out one more year for Ekblad.....Trade Gagner & Hemsky, Schultz Sr, find a quality 2 way centre.

Just my opinion.

And that's the typical response I'd expect from a homer hitting the panic button.

Like I said..."I'm not saying it's right".

You need to learn to read before driveling on.

Gagner scoring 8 pts 2-1/2 years ago is relevant for the simple fact that that is not his only big game in his career. He is one of a select few Oilers who in the past has had big games.

Once again...I'm not saying it's right...but I can guarantee you son that when a coach is thinking about putting a player in the press box it's something that crosses his mind. Sure, you could send him a message; or you could just miss out on a 4 pt night.

And spare me the drivel about Schultz and Yakupov learning the pro game on the fly. Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, Kane, Stamkos...and on and on and on...the league is littered with young kids who have made the jump to the NHL right away and learned the pro game "on the fly".

Also spare me your drivel about Detroit. They haven't had a top 10 draft pick in the last 2 decades. The Oilers also started Tyler Pitlick and Martin Marincin in the minors too.

And yes there is nothing wrong with trading Yakupov or Eberle if you get the right return.

I hate to break it to you but the Oilers aren't going to get to draft Ekbald. And even if they did they can't afford to wait the 4-5 years it will take for Ekbald, Nurse and Klefbom to become legit top pairing D if they ever do.

By that time Hall, Eberle, Nuge etc will all be on the final years of their contracts and the window will have pretty much been narrowed down to 1-2 years. Too much risk.

Not to mention the top 6 F are too much of the same so you're going to have to trade someone because there is zero chance the Oilers ever win the Cup with that mix in the top 6.

Avatar
#149 Zarny
December 09 2013, 09:42AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
brackenbury wrote:

Nice profile pic. ZANY, who would u like to c coming back For a trade involving YAK or EBS ?

Meagan sucking on that cherry always puts a smile on my face :-)

You only trade Yak or Eberle for a legit top pairing D OR a 50-60 pt power F.

Personally, I don't see any of the top 10 D in the league being available unless Subban's contract goes sideways in Mtl.

So I think McDonagh or Girardi in NYR are your best bet for options at D. I like Coburn in Phi but don't think I'd package Ebs or Yak for him.

Avatar
#150 Greasy Goal
December 09 2013, 09:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Puck_In_Throat

All decisions made under the brutal management of Steve Tambellini, hopefully Mac T won't mess up our top young defence prospects. Time will tell but the Oilers need to learn to be patient, becuase hurrying a product into the NHL clearly does not work. (Just check the Islanders)

Comments are closed for this article.